Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Steiler Drep
Nov 30, 2004
what?
Today I'm going to go look for which guitar I'll buy, and it either falls between a Schecter Omen 6 or this

I've usually hated Les Pauls my whole life, but really when I realized this is all I need for my downtuning needs, I'll all for it.

Of course, 20 unlocked iPhones are paying for this :D

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raze
Aug 13, 2005

I'M GOING HOME.

Susano-maku da! posted:

Yeah, I've posted alot of poo poo in here, haven't I? I'm about set for guitars though, I love my Ravelle to death and I'm hoping to make the Mustang my second guitar. The pedals are for trying out more than anything else... see what tone works best. I end up selling most of this.

Oh god, if you're going to sell the Hyperion, sell it to me for cheap (since you got it for free)! PLEEEEEASE :(

Col.Kiwi
Dec 28, 2004
And the grave digger puts on the forceps...

Steiler Drep posted:

Today I'm going to go look for which guitar I'll buy, and it either falls between a Schecter Omen 6 or this

I've usually hated Les Pauls my whole life, but really when I realized this is all I need for my downtuning needs, I'll all for it.
This is exactly the Les Paul I've been fantasizing about for some time and which I'm definitely going to get at some point. Good call on the alpine white, it's sexy as anything. Just cause I love looking at them, here's a nice photo that doesn't have the paint job photoshopped on:

Since somebody was talking about how white finishes tend to turn yellow from sunlight just a few posts back, I'll ask: about how long does this process take to get noticably underway typically? I love that kind of glossy white finish but I am really not a fan of faded yellow-white. Am I buying a time bomb with a short fuse if I get a white guitar?

Susano-maku da!
Nov 12, 2003

Hi. Did you order the Mongolian… Beef?

Raze posted:

Oh god, if you're going to sell the Hyperion, sell it to me for cheap (since you got it for free)! PLEEEEEASE :(

Ha! Sorry man, the Hyperion's INCREDIBLE. Paired up with my Death By Audio Supersonic Fuzz Gun and you get insane squalls of noise. Plus I won that thing, I've never won anything in my life! It's like a good luck charm.

What I mean is that I was trying out different pedals to see which would be best for what I wanted. Like my overdrives went like this: Danelectro Fab Overdrive -> Boss OS-2 Overdrive/Distortion -> Danelectro Daddy-O -> Boss BD-2 Blues Driver -> Danelectro Wasabi Overdrive -> Catalinbread Hyper Pak Dirty Channel -> Crowther Hot Cake and I am DONE.

I probably should have just bought the Hot Cake originally, but I had some brilliant deals on some of those pedals and ended up making out with some savings.

Steiler Drep
Nov 30, 2004
what?

Col.Kiwi posted:

This is exactly the Les Paul I've been fantasizing about for some time and which I'm definitely going to get at some point. Good call on the alpine white, it's sexy as anything. Just cause I love looking at them, here's a nice photo that doesn't have the paint job photoshopped on:

Since somebody was talking about how white finishes tend to turn yellow from sunlight just a few posts back, I'll ask: about how long does this process take to get noticably underway typically? I love that kind of glossy white finish but I am really not a fan of faded yellow-white. Am I buying a time bomb with a short fuse if I get a white guitar?

I doubt it'll get white any time soon. Supposedly the white fenders get into a sort of yellow-white cream which some people love.

Today I tried the Les Pauls, all of them (from Epiphone to Gibson) and I stand corrected. I hate them, they don't feel good in my hands and I don't like their tone at all, so now I switch from that to my new true love which made an hour and a half of playing feel like 10 minutes:

I liked it so much I'm even thinking of buying two (for different tunings, EADGBE and CGCFAD). I'll probably post pictures this saturday.

Steiler Drep fucked around with this message at 06:10 on Feb 14, 2008

reversefungi
Nov 27, 2003

Master of the high hat!

Steiler Drep posted:

Today I tried the Les Pauls, all of them (from Explorer to Gibson)

Wait, what?

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Listen, Mr. Kansas Law Dog.
Law don't go around here.
Savvy?

The Dark Wind posted:

Wait, what?
I'm gonna go ahead and guess he's got Explorers on his mind.

ZombiePeanut
May 11, 2007

by Fistgrrl

The Dark Wind posted:

Wait, what?

I'm guessing he meant Epiphone and Freuded it up.

Steiler Drep
Nov 30, 2004
what?

The Dark Wind posted:

Wait, what?

Ah poo poo yeah, Epiphones. Sorry!

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Savvy?
Welcome home, Gretsch G6118! We're gonna have a lot of fun together.

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

Col.Kiwi posted:

Depends on the environment. It is generally the UV rays from sunlight that yellow it, but Epiphones are finished in poly not nitro so it might not be that big a deal as it would be with a white Gibson Les Paul.
Some guys will leave a guitar out in the sun to "tan" the finish.
If you keep it in a case when not playing it and clean/polish it regularly it shouldn't be an issue.

lechunnel
Jun 16, 2007

Is that Ivana Trump?
For what it's worth, I've got a black Les Paul (Gibson) with a white pickguard, and the pickguard is now a cream. Not white at all. The guitar is 13 years old.

Admiral Crunch
Nov 26, 2005

by Peatpot

Carbohydrates posted:

Welcome home, Gretsch G6118! We're gonna have a lot of fun together.

I love that color. It'd be like playing a lime!

ShinAli
May 2, 2003

The Kid better watch his step.
A couple months back, I decided to play the piano, so I bought this little number:

It worked great for a couple of months, but as I played more on the studio with my teacher, I was starting to realize more and more how it didn't feel like a piano, so I bought another little (big) number:

Yamaha U3, ten years old. Amazingly shiny awesome.

As I kept studying, I thought "I SHOULD BUY A KEYBOARD AND MAKE SOME ELECTRONIC DIDDLIES", so I did:

While it was all slidey and knobbly nice, the keys drove me absolutely loving nuts. Some people prefer synth action keys, I can understand that, but these weren't full size so my fingers would stumble around. So I returned it.

I thought about it for awhile. The main reason I got the PCR was because of the pitch/mod lever, and being the closest thing to the joysticks on the Korg keyboard. I figured I should stop being a pussy and just get a good keyboard, regardless of what it has to control pitch/mod. So it was a choice between a CME blazing red 88 key MIDI controller (with motorized faders!) or my recent discovery of the Alesis Fusion 8HD.

Then I was like, "the Fusion is a loving DAW that's cheaper than the CME controller". So I ordered the Fusion:

This is where it became a money sink.

"Man, this keyboard is super awesome, but it'd be nice to have something to lay on some drum beats."

"Man, this pad controller is awesome, but it'd be nice to have some better audio."

"Man, these cans are awesome, but it'd be nice to have the best possible audio recording thing that I can afford."

"Man, this audio interface is awesome, but it'd be nice to plug it into some computer machine."

"Man, all this crap is awesome, but it'd be nice to have a desk to put all this stuff on."

\

"Man, this workstation desk is awesome, but it'd be nice to have a house to put it in."

Okay, I'm exaggerating. I've had that MacBook before the money sink began :(

PenguinBob
Oct 12, 2000
God help me, I can't stop buying things. By the time I graduate I am going to owe my limbs and firstborn child to the College Loan Corporation.

This is more or less what I bought on eBay today, a Crate Palomino V32. Imagine the "30" in this picture is a "32." And that someone tore it off the amp. It's one of the older models when the Palomino brand was still labeled as a Crate and had black tolex and grille cloth, and was made in the US. $300 including shipping.

mofolotopo
May 10, 2004

TICK STAMPEDE!!!!

ShinAli posted:

A couple months back, I decided to play the piano, so I bought this little number:

It worked great for a couple of months, but as I played more on the studio with my teacher, I was starting to realize more and more how it didn't feel like a piano, so I bought another little (big) number:

Yamaha U3, ten years old. Amazingly shiny awesome.

As I kept studying, I thought "I SHOULD BUY A KEYBOARD AND MAKE SOME ELECTRONIC DIDDLIES", so I did:

While it was all slidey and knobbly nice, the keys drove me absolutely loving nuts. Some people prefer synth action keys, I can understand that, but these weren't full size so my fingers would stumble around. So I returned it.

I thought about it for awhile. The main reason I got the PCR was because of the pitch/mod lever, and being the closest thing to the joysticks on the Korg keyboard. I figured I should stop being a pussy and just get a good keyboard, regardless of what it has to control pitch/mod. So it was a choice between a CME blazing red 88 key MIDI controller (with motorized faders!) or my recent discovery of the Alesis Fusion 8HD.

Then I was like, "the Fusion is a loving DAW that's cheaper than the CME controller". So I ordered the Fusion:

This is where it became a money sink.

"Man, this keyboard is super awesome, but it'd be nice to have something to lay on some drum beats."

"Man, this pad controller is awesome, but it'd be nice to have some better audio."

"Man, these cans are awesome, but it'd be nice to have the best possible audio recording thing that I can afford."

"Man, this audio interface is awesome, but it'd be nice to plug it into some computer machine."

"Man, all this crap is awesome, but it'd be nice to have a desk to put all this stuff on."

\

"Man, this workstation desk is awesome, but it'd be nice to have a house to put it in."

Okay, I'm exaggerating. I've had that MacBook before the money sink began :(

You have a serious case of G.A.S. Good for you.

Dr. Capco
May 21, 2007

Pillbug
All of these beautiful toys caused me to go out and drop some cash on this baby:

Oh hey there Mr. Conklin GT4, your room will be ready in a week or so. :v:

In addition to this bad boy, I stumbled upon this here pedal:

Oh, and since it was "used", I snagged it for $45. Thanks, Guitar Center!

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Savvy?
Hmm, turns out my new Gretsch totally rocks rear end for surf rock tone. It seems to be missing a key ingredient for that!

Bigsby B6 with the awesome Gretsch wire handle. So much cooler than the normal boring flat spoon handle.

LOO
Mar 5, 2004

Martin 000-28EC (Eric Clapton Signature model)

mattmofob
May 2, 2005

DUCK
I finished building a firefly 1 watt tube amp and put it in a old philco radio cab with a jensen 8" speaker.
It sounds pretty good for $150 in parts.

http://www.retrothing.com/2007/12/build-your-own.html

Black Sheep Boy
Sep 6, 2006

Black Sheep Boy fucked around with this message at 20:12 on Sep 18, 2020

PenguinBob
Oct 12, 2000

Dr. Capco posted:

All of these beautiful toys caused me to go out and drop some cash on this baby:

Oh hey there Mr. Conklin GT4, your room will be ready in a week or so. :v:

I like the lines of it, the black hardware, and the quilt top looks great with that finish

but I cannot say I approve of the little mound where the output is :(

Noise Machine
Dec 3, 2005

Today is a good day to save.

Order this big rear end black box about a week ago. Should be here in the next day or so.

But this means that I have to find a head to go with it, and play the waiting game. I'm looking at a used Ampeg solid state, the B2RE if possible.

Alfa Tard
Sep 30, 2002

Stoopid Noobie

Noise Machine posted:

Order this big rear end black box about a week ago. Should be here in the next day or so.

But this means that I have to find a head to go with it, and play the waiting game. I'm looking at a used Ampeg solid state, the B2RE if possible.

a GK400RB would prolly work well with that. i used to have an SWR 2X12 and it was a good combination

Menstrual Show
Jun 3, 2004

Well, after waffling for over a month on whether or not to buy it, I bought it.

Its pretty and plays real nice =D

Also impulse bought a little big muff at the same time.

DrChu
May 14, 2002

Noise Machine posted:

I've been thinking about getting one of these to go along with my SVT-3 Pro. The only thing that's stopping me is that I'm not sure if I want one big cabinet rather than two smaller ones.

mesc posted:

Well, after waffling for over a month on whether or not to buy it, I bought it.

Its pretty and plays real nice =D

Also impulse bought a little big muff at the same time.
Looks great, what kind of Tele is it?

cheap sunglasses
Mar 22, 2002

by Ozma
Oh hey there cheap amp from ebay (click for big):

Note: This is not being used for emo or metalcore. I look terrible with mascara and girl pants.

Archr5
Sep 26, 2003

Trying desperately to be popular since 1982.
I got a roland microcube because i was tired of having headphones on my head every time I played...

my microcube lead me to want a little nicer guitar than my $99 epiphone les paul jr.

So I walked around guitar center the other day and spotted this. Which now lives at home with me.

I am amazed how versatile this thing is, it sounds great clean and distorted. and It makes me want to go find Mashed Potatoes Johnson and learn dem blues.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

WET BUTT
Mar 11, 2005

MIJ, mid 90s, 650 shipped with Seymour Duncan pickups installed and a Mustang bridge and a buzzstop(that I'll probably remove); great deal. Can't wait for it to get here; I've been dying for the low-sustain sound and it should go great with my SG. It seems like a really spacey and psychedelic instrument!

Also if I ever stop writing songs I could just sit and play the solo from Foxhole for the rest of my life.

The Book I Read
Jan 15, 2008
Have to sing about it.

Archr5 posted:

So I walked around guitar center the other day and spotted this. Which now lives at home with me.

This is absolutely beautiful, that dark red burst on black is my favourite finish. That colour was one of the main reasons I bought my bass, apart from how amazingly comfortable it is to play.

Mine is the IGB50, the next model up from this and but is indentical apart from the stock pickups. Despite beating the poo poo out of it through playing and general abuse since May/June '07, it's still immaculate.

It's from a fairly obscure brand but I'm very happy with the tone and the neck is extremely sleek and playable. Seriously, it's so streamlined as to make any potential difficulties with playability a complete non-issue.

Menstrual Show
Jun 3, 2004

DrChu posted:

Looks great, what kind of Tele is it?

Its one of the limited run Palo Escrito MIM telecasters. I had a 20% off coupon and a $75 gift certificate from christmas from my sister burning holes in my pocket. I'm ecstatic with the purchase. Sorry for the awful pic, it really doesn't do it justice. I'll borrow my girlfriend's camera at some point to take a real picture of it!

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I dreamt I was an old dog, stuck in a honeypot. It was horrifying.
wooohooooo

New purchase on the left, a Parkwood PW310M that I picked up for a song at GC due to their presidents day sale and a $100 pricing error. :iamafag:

On the right is my (deceased) grandfather's 1930 Slingerland Songster archtop. It's a real sweetheart of a guitar and has a great vibe, but it really doesn't play well any more (no truss rod, worn frets) and to get it back up and running isn't worth it. I'm going to clean it up real well and give it back to my dad...if anything happened to it I'd be crushed. :smith:

The Spookmaster
Sep 9, 2002

Does anyone have or played through an old Peavey Mark IV bass head? A local guy is selling one with two 4/10 bass cabs for $400. Everything I've read seems to suggest they are really solid heads but I would love some goon imput.

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Savvy?

warwick5s posted:

New purchase on the left, a Parkwood PW310M that I picked up for a song at GC due to their presidents day sale and a $100 pricing error. :iamafag:
Sup Guitar Center Presidents' Day Sale buddy :c00l::respek::c00l:

I can't take a decent picture of this to save my life for some reason, so here are someone else's photos. Turns out I can't walk into GC without buying something!

Capitan Dad
May 16, 2007

shemaghs are so gay its like smegma hahaha

WET BUTT posted:

MIJ, mid 90s, 650 shipped with Seymour Duncan pickups installed and a Mustang bridge and a buzzstop(that I'll probably remove); great deal. Can't wait for it to get here; I've been dying for the low-sustain sound and it should go great with my SG. It seems like a really spacey and psychedelic instrument!

Also if I ever stop writing songs I could just sit and play the solo from Foxhole for the rest of my life.

gently caress that is exactly what I've wanted (including price and bridge) for so long and you got one.

I'd rather have white actually but whatever.

nah thanks
Jun 18, 2004

Take me out.

Archr5 posted:

I got a roland microcube because i was tired of having headphones on my head every time I played...

my microcube lead me to want a little nicer guitar than my $99 epiphone les paul jr.

I am amazed how versatile this thing is, it sounds great clean and distorted. and It makes me want to go find Mashed Potatoes Johnson and learn dem blues.

That is one sexy, sexy looking guitar. I really like it. I'm not one who is usually crazy about the way guitars look, but his and the lime green one up top are really great.

The Book I Read posted:

This is absolutely beautiful, that dark red burst on black is my favourite finish. That colour was one of the main reasons I bought my bass, apart from how amazingly comfortable it is to play.

What's up dark red burst on black bass buddy? :hfive:

Death By Yogurt
Apr 3, 2007

Line 6 FM4 Filter Modeler
Got it for about $170 shipped on Ebay. Pretty much only good for making really crazy sound effects, but an absolute blast just to play around with.

Ben and Stew
Mar 31, 2006

Woah!

spoof22 posted:

Line 6 FM4 Filter Modeler
Got it for about $170 shipped on Ebay. Pretty much only good for making really crazy sound effects, but an absolute blast just to play around with.

I had one of these for about 6 hours. It was the most amazing thing to play bass with. But then I had to return it because I ended up needing money for an emergency. :(

reversefungi
Nov 27, 2003

Master of the high hat!

al sharptons hair posted:

Oh hey there cheap amp from ebay (click for big):

Note: This is not being used for emo or metalcore. I look terrible with mascara and girl pants.

I noticed you got the block letter 5150 which is supposedly better. Have you played any other 5150s before to notice a difference?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Prof Eli ASSBLASTER
May 30, 2007

by Fragmaster
I returned my lovely Epiphone yesterday and got the Ibanez RG120 instead. It's a lot easier to play, and it looks cool!