Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fleur Bleu
Nov 26, 2006

by Ralp
We have a five year old Gordon Setter at home and he's always been very goodnatured and sweet.
But yesterday he started growling at me when I came home (I'm only home during the weekends, but there's six other people living here), I took him outside and played with him for a bit and he was good to go again.
When we came home tonight he started growling once more, so I put him outside again.
After five minutes I went to check up on him and he'd gone to bed.
He's never done this before and I thought maybe he doesn't get enough exercise anymore. Google tells me this growling might be a sign of sickness or the dog getting uppity, so I came to get some expert advice here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mr. nobody
Sep 25, 2004

Net contents 12 fluid oz.
Can someone provide a link for me to the large rubbermaid containers that they use for "top entry" style litterboxes? I want to get one but would like to know the dimensions to see if it will fit in the current litterbox area.

Randomity
Feb 25, 2007

Careful what you wish,
You may regret it!

mr. nazi posted:

Can someone provide a link for me to the large rubbermaid containers that they use for "top entry" style litterboxes? I want to get one but would like to know the dimensions to see if it will fit in the current litterbox area.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I think it's like this thing: http://www.rubbermaid.com/rubbermaid/product/product.jhtml?prodId=HPProd150024

Sekhmet
Nov 16, 2001

drat Bananas posted:

My first instinct was to call her an idiot, because of the puggle for example: comes from a dog bred for running, and a dog bred for squashed nose which is just asking for problems. But then I realized that I really don't know much about dog breeding. Is she right that inbreeding occurs? If so, how far back in the lines do they go before they decide it's okay to inbreed?

Well yeah, inbreeding occured and still occurs in purebred dogs. It is really the only way to establish a consistent phenotype when a breed is still in its infancy, and many dogs today are bred with relatives in order to enhance attributes of common ancestors in their line. Granted, most breeders don't breed brother-sister or parent-offspring but it does occur sometimes. Usually the animals have a common ancestor a couple generations back at the earliest. Breeders call this "linebreeding" rather than "inbreeding" to make it sound more palatable.

Now, a first generation cross such as a puggle isn't really a good example of dogs being healthier because of mixed-breed heritage - both of its parents are purebred! However, a mutt you pick up from the shelter can be less likely to have problems such as hip dysplasia and such that often come along with purebred dogs. That's no guarantee and PI has seen at least one mutt from the street (Papaya's Apple) who ended up with severe hip dysplasia, but as a whole things like that are more common in purebreds, especially those from unscrupulous breeders who don't do health testing.

The Ginger Ninja
Apr 29, 2005

Better red than dead.
My cat keeps knocking poo poo over. It's really annoying. He's broken a ton of valuable -- whether sentimental or expensive -- items. This afternoon, I was debating whether I wanted cereal or French toast, and I left a bowl unattended for five seconds as I googled how to make the perfect French toast. Bam, he knocked it over and it shattered all over the floor.

This is getting really frustrating. I have a spray bottle, and like all cats, he hates getting sprayed, but it hasn't influenced his behavior. He's 1.5 years old, rescued at six weeks from the street, and a regular shorthair. I'm guessing he might need a companion, but my apartment is far too small for two cats. What do you all suggest? Toy overload?

mr. nobody
Sep 25, 2004

randomity posted:

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I think it's like this thing: http://www.rubbermaid.com/rubbermaid/product/product.jhtml?prodId=HPProd150024

Thanks for the link! Unfortunately it looks like it's too big for the litterbox area I have in my apartment. :(

Ginger Ninja: you'd be surprised how little room cats really need, I have a pretty small apartment as well and have been thinking about getting a second cat and that very issue has crossed my mind. Then I remind myself that, at least at the no-kill shelter I go to, these cats are just fine in a 4x4 foot room with 3-5 other cats for sometimes months and my apartment is like a mansion compared to that. The only thing stopping me for now is litterbox space, I don't know if I'd have room for a second one anywhere and all the advice I read says the number litterboxes should be the number of cats + 1 so I'm already behind.

TheGreatFezini
Jun 19, 2004

swim swim HUNGRY
I've been looking for healthy, long-lasting toys for my dog to chew on. He's severely dysplastic on both hips so we've been working to get his weight down. I used to give him rawhides quite often but I read somewhere that they have a lot of fat and salt in them. We also used to give him a cow hoof about once a week, but they smell awful. They didn't seem healthy to me but I could start buying them again if they're good for him. I went to the grocery store to see what kind of bones they had, and they have some smoked beef bones for sale.

Are these a good thing for him? I noticed they still have a bit of meat on them and they aren't raw. Should I just ask for raw bones instead? And is it safe to let him eat the whole thing?

TheGreatFezini fucked around with this message at 03:14 on Feb 18, 2008

VikingKitten
Jan 19, 2003
Haven't read this thread in a couple of pages; apologies if this has been answered or is really stupid.

Please save my kitten from himself! He's decided that chewing on power cords is the best. Everything's hidden or monitored, except for when I plug my cell phone in overnight. I guess I could figure out a way to run the cord into a desk drawer, but in the alternative is there something I could put on it? Do cats hate green apple spray or hot pepper spray?

VikingKitten
Jan 19, 2003

The Ginger Ninja posted:

I'm guessing he might need a companion, but my apartment is far too small for two cats.

Bzzzt, wrong. My kitten was a goddamn horrible maniac until I broke down and got him a buddy. We live in a ~500 sq. ft. efficiency. It works surprisingly well - I have a lot of cat-friendly vertical areas. The only thing they knock over on a regular basis now is the scratching post.

Also, I go to a lot of trouble to keep things picked up. I totally understand your frustration about the cereal bowl, but I just pick things up a lot. For example, I'm at the point where I routinely put my keys in a drawer instead of on the counter.

Myok
Apr 8, 2005

Technology on the brain.
Pillbug

VikingKitten posted:

I guess I could figure out a way to run the cord into a desk drawer, but in the alternative is there something I could put on it? Do cats hate green apple spray or hot pepper spray?

You're doing well if you've narrowed the problem down to one cord. Bitter Apple gets recommended a lot for this purpose. Even if it doesn't work, your kitten should grow out of the chewing stage in a few months. With my two kittens, fixing the cords so they didn't dangle or move was enough to dissuade them from gnawing.

VikingKitten
Jan 19, 2003

Myok posted:

You're doing well if you've narrowed the problem down to one cord. Bitter Apple gets recommended a lot for this purpose. Even if it doesn't work, your kitten should grow out of the chewing stage in a few months. With my two kittens, fixing the cords so they didn't dangle or move was enough to dissuade them from gnawing.

Well, I just don't have much stuff right now. Most of my stuff is in storage and I'm living like a zen nomad in this tiny little efficiency. I've got one power strip that runs a lamp, the mattress, the cell phone, and the laptop. Oh, and the coffee pot. That's it. :)

On looking more closely at the charger, the little bastard has already damaged the plastic. I'll need to wrap it up all ghetto-style in electrical tape first. I think I am going to drill a hole in the desk and run the charger up inside there, and then I can stick the rest of the cords in a box.

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

Sorry for the ensuing dog poop talk...

If someone could help me quickly I would greatly appreciate it. My pit bull has not been likely feeling well since yesterday. He hasn't really eaten any of his dry food today or yesterday, messed his crate (a rare occurance) with diarrhea while we were out yesterday, and had really soft stools since then, bordering on diarrhea, but I walked him for an hour tonight and despite his gas, he's not gone poop. He's been sort of looking under the weather since yesterday and has bad gas, which was first the silent-but-deadly normal type and is now audible... so I'm concerned. He'll eat doggy treats and is still chewing his rawhide so its not like he's starving himself.

I wanted to know if there is anything I can do to make his stomach feel better for the moment, like humans would take medicine. My mother said giving him a lick of kaopectate would be alright but I am wary of giving any amount of human medicine to my dog. Any suggestions would be a great help.

hallo spacedog fucked around with this message at 05:41 on Mar 13, 2008

Crab Ran
Mar 6, 2006

Don't try me.

The Ginger Ninja posted:

My cat keeps knocking poo poo over. It's really annoying. He's broken a ton of valuable -- whether sentimental or expensive -- items. This afternoon, I was debating whether I wanted cereal or French toast, and I left a bowl unattended for five seconds as I googled how to make the perfect French toast. Bam, he knocked it over and it shattered all over the floor.

This is getting really frustrating. I have a spray bottle, and like all cats, he hates getting sprayed, but it hasn't influenced his behavior. He's 1.5 years old, rescued at six weeks from the street, and a regular shorthair. I'm guessing he might need a companion, but my apartment is far too small for two cats. What do you all suggest? Toy overload?

Your cat is a Buddhist, trying to teach you to release your materialistic desires to reach a higher spiritual level.

Blue Scream
Oct 24, 2006

oh my word, the internet!

Dr. Housecat MD posted:

Your cat is a Buddhist, trying to teach you to release your materialistic desires to reach a higher spiritual level.

My cat is a loving boddhisatva :(

edit for useful content: Have you tried a laser pointer, or some other interactive toy he can chase until he gets exhausted? A couple of sessions of that per day might help with his destructive energy.

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

Sometimes I feel like this.

So my chronically overweight cat who lives with my mother has gotten really thin fairly quickly and has become incontinent. Her fur is a mess, she cries a lot more (though that may be because I don't see her often and she misses me), and my sister says you can feel her ribs and organs through her skin. My mom and stepdad feed Purina Cat Chow and liberally give treats (not sure the brand). Since the cat stopped being reliable with the litterbox, they shoved her outside all the time.

My sister says she is looking worse, which my mother denies. Mom says "She's just getting long in the tooth," which I think is ridiculous - that cat is only 9 years old. They refused to take her in when the peeing started, and she's been outside for about a year now. I have offered to pay for vet care, and Mom has blown me off. The other day I got very insistent and her defense was "You've never offered to pay for it, and we couldn't afford to take her to the vet." Which is bullshit.

I worry that even if they take her in, they'll insist nothing's wrong and won't let the vet do much more than a standard exam. I doubt they'll outline her symptoms, mention that she's not up-to-date on vaccinations, or bother with any tests beyond the usual stuff you'd do for a well cat.

I cannot take the cat. Simply cannot. Especially because she is unreliable with the litterbox. There's no guarantee that a vet visit would yield a treatment for what's causing the urination outside the box. We have wall-to-wall carpets and an older male cat who doesn't like other cats. She's sure to be full of parasites from being outside. I live two hours away.

Should I drive down one weekend and kidnap her to the vet's office? Should I go have her put to sleep so she doesn't suffer anymore? I can't trust them to take care of her even if all she needs is an inexpensive pill or a change in food. They're basically waiting for her to die so they have no more responsibilities.

What should I do here? From what Rachel says, it's gotten pretty bad. Mom denies it up and down. I'm in a bad spot.

Belligerent Monk
Jul 29, 2006
I love cats and I have sort of a fascination with wild cats, particularly bobcats, lynxes, caracals and the like. It's been a dream of mine to have a pet bobcat and while I know it's far fetched and I would need to devote a lot of time, effort, money, and a good home for it, I'm still wondering if it can be done. I've heard some stories of people who have done this, with the bobcat(s) living in their home and in enclosed backyard areas.

This is not something I can do anywhere in the near future, but I still want to know if this is reasonably possible.

toadee
Aug 16, 2003

North American Turtle Boy Love Association

Belligerent Monk posted:

I love cats and I have sort of a fascination with wild cats, particularly bobcats, lynxes, caracals and the like. It's been a dream of mine to have a pet bobcat and while I know it's far fetched and I would need to devote a lot of time, effort, money, and a good home for it, I'm still wondering if it can be done. I've heard some stories of people who have done this, with the bobcat(s) living in their home and in enclosed backyard areas.

This is not something I can do anywhere in the near future, but I still want to know if this is reasonably possible.

I actually knew a (loving moron of a) girl who bought a black/grey market ocelot. The cat ended up slashing her face up in her sleep and was put to sleep, so while it may be possible (a quick google search says so), I really wouldn't advise it. Obviously it's your life but please make sure you know what the gently caress you're doing.

Belligerent Monk
Jul 29, 2006

toadee posted:

I actually knew a (loving moron of a) girl who bought a black/grey market ocelot. The cat ended up slashing her face up in her sleep and was put to sleep, so while it may be possible (a quick google search says so), I really wouldn't advise it. Obviously it's your life but please make sure you know what the gently caress you're doing.

Well I definitely don't know much about it yet, which is the reason I'm asking here - but there are some things I do know. This would be an enormous life-changing responsibility and that it would be all on me to ensure the cat is happy and has a great living environment and diet. I am aware of the pieces of poo poo that adopt an animal like this unprepared and end up getting it put down or sent to a sanctuary. I'm very much against declawing and I know this would really limit my ability to play with it safely and would result in furniture and other things getting torn up. All in all the cat would end up owning me and I'm okay with that, when I'm ready for it.

larasndar
Nov 30, 2006

by Ozma

Belligerent Monk posted:

Well I definitely don't know much about it yet, which is the reason I'm asking here - but there are some things I do know. This would be an enormous life-changing responsibility and that it would be all on me to ensure the cat is happy and has a great living environment and diet. I am aware of the pieces of poo poo that adopt an animal like this unprepared and end up getting it put down or sent to a sanctuary. I'm very much against declawing and I know this would really limit my ability to play with it safely and would result in furniture and other things getting torn up. All in all the cat would end up owning me and I'm okay with that, when I'm ready for it.

Why not channel your enthusiasm for the species into volunteering/working for an exotic cat rescue?

mr. nobody
Sep 25, 2004

I've been having some issues with my cat attacking my hand/arm after I pet him.

The first time it happened I was in bed mostly asleep and he jumped up and started headbutting my hand (signal for pet my neck around the collar area) so I pet him half-asleep for a bit, then retract my hand to go back to sleep. He lunged at my hand and bit it, scratched it with his teeth but didn't break skin (no puncture just scratches). I made the "don't do that" noise that I make when he's up on counters he's not supposed to be on. Then I laid back down and as I was moving my arm under the pillow he lunged again, this time biting around my elbow, and he did break the skin that time and I had to clean up the (minor) wound. Made a KSSSSST noise at him again and he didn't attack my arm anymore that night. edit: I made the kssst noise right after he bit me, not after I cleaned up

Second and third and now fourth times it's been after petting him a little bit. He's not a lapcat so I pet him when he comes up to me and wants to be scratched (he headbutts my hand). Second and third times it was unexpected by me, but in hindsight he did get big pupils, wide open eyes and his ears went back shortly before he lunged at my arm.

The most recent time this happened was immediately after he headbutted my hand, and I started scratching his neck area. He was enjoying it one second then was biting into my arm the next.

I do not let him play with my hands, only found one toy that he likes to play with so far and I use that to get him some exercise and mental stimulation for at least 20 minutes at a time, usually twice a day.

I adopted him from a no kill shelter, he is 10 years old and is a pretty mellow cat except for this. He seems afraid of my hands if he's not aware that I'm about to pet him, so I've taken to sorta wiggling my fingers in front of him until he recognizes that I'm reaching my hand towards him. I don't know anything about his history, but if I had to guess, I think a previous owner made him afraid of hands.

How do I go about either correcting this or adapting to it? The bites don't hurt that much but him attacking my hand/arm randomly isn't something I want to continue.

mr. nobody fucked around with this message at 14:32 on Feb 24, 2008

KasioDiscoRock
Nov 17, 2000

Are you alive?
Is it ok to keep a fish tank in a bathroom?

It's a 5 gallon tank, with a cover, containing one goldfish. On the rare occasions that I would use hairspray or any other type of spray, I will simply step out of the room to use it, so I'm not concerned about contaminating his water at all.

What I am concerned about it temperature changes. It's a tiny little room, which is noticeably warmer after someone showers. How much will that affect his water temperature? Is there any other fishy health issues I'm not thinking of?

Whispering Machines
Dec 27, 2005

Monsters? They look like monsters to you?
Okay... I feel stupid asking this, but my friend doesn't have an account (same one with the ragdoll who gets poo all over her butt) and wants to know: how do you toilet train a cat?

Anyone who's done this or knows of any successful methods care to share?

Kalma
May 23, 2004

Ha ha ha ha. You're really weird.

Belligerent Monk posted:

My mother and I raised/breed pixie bobs and had a couple bobcats so I guess I can answer a few questions for you.

First, they're stupidly fragile when they are young. Most breeders will pull them away from the mother immediately to help socialize them and therefore they are bottle raised. Most breeders offer a minimal health guarantee because they will crash for no apparent reason. The base cost for a bobcat is usually around $500, speciality colors go for more and good luck getting a brreeder to do a free replacement when it crashes.

The kitten/adolescent years are fantastic. Cute as a bug, imagine a big kitten. We kept him in the kitchen/dining room and whenever you came in there he sneak up on you and jump on your back so you could carry him around. Was hilarious when friends walked in and weren't expecting it. Very loving really a great pet.

BUT.

As soon as he was an adult everything changed. He became mean to everyone but immediate family, he would growl at anyone but my mother and myself. He never bit anyone, but the honeymoon was over for him. He sprayed EVERYWHERE. We ended up putting him in a big enclosure/cage outside and eventually he just ended up growling at everyone and never leaving his doghouse when people were around.

It was pretty heartbreaking and eventually we found a nice rescue/sanctuary to take him. He's much happier now.

Servals, pixie bobs, and all the rest of the mixed breed/small cats are the same. Just like one of those designer dogs, you never know if you're getting a cat that looks like a bobcat or a bobcat that looks just like a cat.

If you really want to mess with them, find a local wildlife sanctuary and volunteer.

Customer Service
Jun 20, 2004

I'm not wearing any pants

KasioDiscoRock posted:

Is it ok to keep a fish tank in a bathroom?

It's a 5 gallon tank, with a cover, containing one goldfish. On the rare occasions that I would use hairspray or any other type of spray, I will simply step out of the room to use it, so I'm not concerned about contaminating his water at all.

What I am concerned about it temperature changes. It's a tiny little room, which is noticeably warmer after someone showers. How much will that affect his water temperature? Is there any other fishy health issues I'm not thinking of?

You can have a tank anywhere you like I suppose- the big issue here is five gallons is WAY too small for even one goldfish. Ten (with GREAT filtration, I mean like a filter rated for a larger tank) is the minimum for a small goldfish, and adults need 20-30 gallons and even better filtration. This is because they're incredibly messy, and larger tanks and better filters means a healthy fish.

That five would be perfect for a betta though! :)

(And such short term changes of temperature in the bathroom likely wouldn't be enough to change the water temperature much. But if you go with a betta, remember they're tropical and need water around 80 degrees.)

Customer Service fucked around with this message at 23:13 on Feb 24, 2008

KasioDiscoRock
Nov 17, 2000

Are you alive?

Customer Service posted:

That five would be perfect for a betta though! :)

I actually bought the setup for a betta, but it died (after a few years, it's not like I killed it!) The only reason I have a goldfish now is that my boyfriend's niece and nephew decided I needed a new fish for Christmas, and bought "Bubbles" for me.

I have heard the lectures before about the tank size, and I do have a good filter, and I keep the water as clean as possible, but I really have no room for a bigger tank, either in my apartment or in my budget.

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

I showed a recent photo of my cat back home to a coworker who used to work in a vet clinic. He mentioned that her appearance was pretty consistent with FIV in a fairly advanced stage :cry: He also said that the sudden weight loss could be a serious parasite infestation, which would make sense with her being shoved outside 24/7.

My mom is still hemming and hawing about taking her in. I may drive down to Richmond this week while I'm off (finished my job today, start my new job March 3rd) and take her in to one of the local vet clinics myself. It's a two-hour drive, not too serious. If it does turn out to be FIV/FeLuke/something equally nasty, I definitely can't bring her back here to my house - I couldn't risk exposing Charlie. And I know they won't bother with the care she would need to manage the disease. So if the tests come in positive, I'll be putting her down.

It makes me so angry...

lazyjane
Aug 24, 2003

Lemurs, Man, Lemurs
Our cat's been acting a bit weird today and we've no idea what's wrong with him. He's still been eating and drinking so we aren't too worried but if he isn't better after tomorrow it's back to the vets. We're there at least twice a month for various things, it's a bloody good thing we've got pet insurance.

Anyway my question isn't about that because I wouldn't know where to start explaining his 'symptoms'.

My question is why do you think he reacts so oddly to panting? If I make a panting noise and he's lying down he always rolls onto his back. He was hiding under the bed today and when I panted he came out. I did it one time a few months ago when he was sat near me and the little bugger swiped at my face. It's very odd.

Benzene
Feb 1, 2007
So viel Spaß für wenig Geld.
My 2 month old kitten Millie is litter trained and absolutely no problem on that front, except for one thing - She eats the litter. What the hell? She sniffs around it when it's just been cleaned and then chews it in her mouth, spitting out some and swallowing a few. Will this harm her?

Also, she doesn't seem to be eating much food. To get her to start eating, I have to hand feed her a few kitten biscuits, then she'll eat by herself. However, she doesn't seem interested in it for very long - We weigh out how much she should be eating in biscuits per day and at the moment she's only managing 1/2 or 3/4s of that. We've tried her with different types of food and she likes the biscuits the best. Should I be worried she isn't eating enough?

We're trying to introduce her gradually to our two other cats, Oliver and Georgie, who're both about 3 years old. Unfortunately, they're having none of it. We let Millie play gently under our supervision and let Oliver and Georgie watch - Georgie growls the entire time, Oliver just looks frightened. When Millie approches Georgie they both hiss at eachother, at which point we intervene because she's incredibly tiny and she could do a lot of damage to her if there was a fight. Oliver approches Millie and sniffs her and then hisses, but he doesn't have agressive body language like Georgie. I'm very scared of letting it progress past hissing for fear of Millie getting hurt, but they need to at least tolerate eachother for them to share the house comfortably. Any advice as to what to do would be appreciated so much.

Sorry for so many questions, it's a little overwhelming at the moment. :)

toadee
Aug 16, 2003

North American Turtle Boy Love Association

If you have clumping litter this can be very dangerous as it can cause intestinal blockage. I would not let her eat ANY litter but especially clumping.

Benzene
Feb 1, 2007
So viel Spaß für wenig Geld.
It's not clumping litter, thankfully. It's sort of gritty I suppose, like little stones. I mean ideally we don't let her eat any at all and make her open her mouth to drop it, but she does it constantly. During the day there are periods where no-one is there to supervise her, and I'm worried she eats it then.

snail goat
Dec 12, 2006

you shouldnt doubt yourself
you know more about goats than you give yourself credit for
Hay guys :)

I've been planning on getting a dachshund at the end of the year (when I get out of school) and I think I've found a breeder that I like, but I'd love to get more educated opinions on their web site. I don't think they seem like a byb or puppy mill... but really I don't have enough experience checking out those types of places to be 100% sure.

Their site is http://www.mcmillansdoxies.com/index.html

Thanks tons!

Sekhmet
Nov 16, 2001

Waddley Hasselhoff posted:

I've been planning on getting a dachshund at the end of the year (when I get out of school) and I think I've found a breeder that I like, but I'd love to get more educated opinions on their web site. I don't think they seem like a byb or puppy mill... but really I don't have enough experience checking out those types of places to be 100% sure.

Thanks tons!

They're a BYB. They don't appear to do anything with their dogs except for a few cursory mentions of "maybe we'll show this dog" for a couple of the males. They don't do any genetic health testing. I'd keep looking. A good place to start is the Dachshund Club of America website. There's a list of breeders there and I'm sure they can refer you to others if none are local.

snail goat
Dec 12, 2006

you shouldnt doubt yourself
you know more about goats than you give yourself credit for
Aaaaand that's why I asked, thanks for being smart!

MockTurtle
Mar 9, 2006
Once I was a real Turtle.

Waddley Hasselhoff posted:

Thanks tons!

I'm no expert, but I thought it was a little weird that under the stud sections they talk about how the studs are going to be in the show circuit. I was under the impression that you showed to make sure that the dog was worth breeding and THEN did all that. They are doing it rear end backwards. Further, that's the only place they even mention shows.

Edit; LIONESS! You and your quick replies!!!

Not Impressed
Feb 11, 2005
You could tell I was no debutante.
Is my cat bored?

I posted in the “have a cat, wanting another” thread but really didn’t get an answer to the underlying question of if my cat is bored and would benefit from a buddy. Yes, I know 2 cats are awesome, but I don’t want to disrupt an already awesome cat’s life.

I am concerned she’s bored because she never leaves us alone once we get home. She’s always in the same room as us (usually sitting on or near us) and is often very vocal. She’s all over any new people that come over. She waits for us to come home at the door every night. She begs for cat food (we’ve never fed her people food…and never intend to) and is often very fixated on feeding times. We catch her playing with her toys alone, but lately she’s been a little more destructive/rambunctious with her play. She’ll attack her little enclosed cat house or claw and make noises at our bottom stair. She also attempts to groom us with rough cat tongue licks.

When we are at home, we give her tons of attention – both of us are always petting, playing or talking to her. But when she’s at home from 8 a.m. – 5:30 p.m. while we’re at work, I worry she sits around, waiting for us to come home.

I am just not sure if I’m misinterpreting her behavior – that she really isn’t bored and just a very dependent, people orientated cat. In that case, I don’t think she’d appreciate a buddy. But, if my suspicions are correct, I think she’s bored and lonely.

For reference, Nibbler is 2.5 years old and a sassy calico. Her potential buddy is a young adult female tortie that is also described as playful, loving and spunky.

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

Not Impressed posted:

For reference, Nibbler is 2.5 years old and a sassy calico. Her potential buddy is a young adult female tortie that is also described as playful, loving and spunky.

Oh dear god, a tortie and a calico in the same house? Do you know what kinds of insanity they'll get up to?

Not Impressed
Feb 11, 2005
You could tell I was no debutante.

RazorBunny posted:

Oh dear god, a tortie and a calico in the same house? Do you know what kinds of insanity they'll get up to?

I am well aware. At this point, I'm convinced the cat thinks that our houseplants, the bottom stair and my green blanket are her friends. I just have this feeling that another quirky cat would be a fun, appropriate partner in crime for her. Or they'll hate eachother.

jess
May 26, 2005

you fit into me
like a hook into an eye

a fish hook
an open eye

Belligerent Monk posted:

You probably aren't interested in this, but what about an exotic-looking cat that's domesticated but looks wild-like, like a Bengal or an Ocicat?

Whispering Machines posted:

Okay... I feel stupid asking this, but my friend doesn't have an account (same one with the ragdoll who gets poo all over her butt) and wants to know: how do you toilet train a cat?

Anyone who's done this or knows of any successful methods care to share?

I've heard praise for this: http://www.citikitty.com

combee
Nov 17, 2007

it's the combee's knees!

combee fucked around with this message at 13:53 on Jul 23, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crab Ran
Mar 6, 2006

Don't try me.

combee posted:

My partner's neighbour has a beautiful gray shorthair cat. It was gorgeous and tame, but it wouldn't let me take a photo. It looks very unique and beautiful and I would like a breed name in case I do want a cat in the future. Could anybody help me identify the breed? I'm thinking it may be a Korat or something similar.

Do you know that it's a purebred? Most cats aren't.