Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
Yeah, I could really do without the B team apparently feeling the need to high five each other every twenty seconds.

Look, Grant managed to get out of the car without falling over! *HIGH FIVE* Holy poo poo, Kari didn't end a sentence with a preposition! *HIGH FIVE* Bugger me rigid, that other guy is actually wearing pants! *HIGH FIVE*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Most of the cast of Mythbusters are horrible actors. I don't say that to be a dick, but whenever they exaggerate or try to play anything up it becomes almost unwatchably bad.

Don't get me wrong, I love the show -- just hate when they try to turn it on for the camera.

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

Filthy Assistant posted:

I think the worst part of Smash Lab is the yelling and flailing about when something explodes or gets hit. I'd find it much funnier if they just sort watched it, thought about it, nodded, then scribbled something on a piece of paper on a clipboard. That's essentially Jamie's reaction to almost everything in Mythbusters, and I always find it funnier than Adam or Kari's "OMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMG".

The over reactions in Mythbusters doesn't bother me too much because usually when something explodes the magnitude or reaction that a certain material had to it isn't totally known, so at least it is a slight surprise.

Last night on Smash Lab Deanne was like "OMG the house that we set on fire is burning down!"

Ape Agitator
Feb 19, 2004

Soylent Green is Monkeys
College Slice
Yeah, but the mythbusters don't even try and hide their acting ability or the obviously scripted nature of their intros and science discussions. But I find their field reactions to be genuine and kind of fun most of the time. I think almost all of that is owing to their handcrafted and almost rube goldberg nature of some of their contraptions so that when it operates it has that feeling of accomplishment and joy.

Not only does Smash Lab have that scripted feeling throughout, but their builds are all professional and polished so it feels like they're cheering inevitable results instead of "hot drat, our repurposed Sha-rammer into a giant air cannon actually worked and launched Buster like a cannon! Also, myth confirmed!".

I think if the MB had the budget that SL seems to have, I don't think it would have anywhere near the charm. Have you seen that ridiculous air cannon SL has? Think of how often mythbusters have had to cannibalize previous rigs for some new need.

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006
The official account of NFL Tackle Phil Loadholt.

Let's talk Football.
I thought the Macgyver episode was one of the better episodes in a long time. Then again I love Macgyver so I was probably going to like it no matter what. I don't get why they thought they should build a potato gun though. How would you signal the helicopter...by hitting it?

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

soggybagel posted:

I thought the Macgyver episode was one of the better episodes in a long time. Then again I love Macgyver so I was probably going to like it no matter what. I don't get why they thought they should build a potato gun though. How would you signal the helicopter...by hitting it?

I was thinking they would make some sort of flare launcher or something.

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006
The official account of NFL Tackle Phil Loadholt.

Let's talk Football.
I honestly did not think they could get that kite to fly though so I can say I was pretty surprised when it got as high as it did.

Mortanis
Dec 28, 2005

It's your father's lightsaber. This is the weapon of a Jedi Knight.
College Slice
I don't know why, but the scripted set-ups on Mythbusters are really beginning to bother me. It's pretty obvious they're filmed after they've done everything and already have their conclusions. Maybe it's the dishonesty of it all, instead of having an honest discussion about it then really filming the results.

It was pretty evident last week when the set up had Kari with short, bright hair and the next scene was the actual myth-busting, complete with long, undyed hair.

I feel like such a nerd, though, that when the voice-over said they were moving to another, more reactive substance, I managed to blurt out "Lithium" and be right.

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

Mortanis posted:

I don't know why, but the scripted set-ups on Mythbusters are really beginning to bother me. It's pretty obvious they're filmed after they've done everything and already have their conclusions. Maybe it's the dishonesty of it all, instead of having an honest discussion about it then really filming the results.

It was pretty evident last week when the set up had Kari with short, bright hair and the next scene was the actual myth-busting, complete with long, undyed hair.

I feel like such a nerd, though, that when the voice-over said they were moving to another, more reactive substance, I managed to blurt out "Lithium" and be right.

They script it because the actual discussion would be long, boring, and not even editable in any way to explain what they are doing succinctly.

And the more reactive substance they moved up to was potassium. Your nerd pride overpowered your ears.(I guessed Lithium too.)

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

Mortanis posted:

Potassium :science:

Lithium would have been a weaker explosion. I was hoping for Cesium or Francium personally.

max4me
Jun 15, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
So what kinda really crazy myths can the team do now? For some reason they should ways of getting ride of a dead body.

Mortanis
Dec 28, 2005

College Slice
See, I thought Potassium last night, but said Lithium now. I guess that negates my nerdness.

LordOfThePants
Sep 25, 2002

soggybagel posted:

I have seen every episode of MacGyver and there were several things I didn't recognize from last night. I remember the glider thing and the potassium bomb (that was from the pilot I think), but the lightbulb lockpick and the potato cannon signal I don't remember. I don't remember the film developing thing either, but it sounds like classic MacGyver.

I have a potassium story from when I was growing up - it remains a pretty cool memory for me. My Dad was a high school science teacher and he was cleaning out his chemical supply closet and found some really old potassium packed in jars of mineral oil. It had been there since before he was teaching, which meant it was over 20 years old at the time. Keeping that much potassium in a closet full of other chemicals is highly dangerous and he wanted to get rid of it, so he brought it home.

My parents house has a creek that runs around most of the property so he took us kids back to the creek and explained how potassium works when it reacts with water. He then pulled a potato sized piece out of this really old brown mason jar and chucked it into the water.

It was awesome - it exploded (of course), and the remaining piece flew up in the air, then back into the water and exploded again. This process continued until all the potassium was spent.

He had a couple more pieces that size so he "disposed" of them all the same way. It was awesome - the first explosion was probably as loud as firing a shotgun, each subsequent explosion was smaller but it was still very cool.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Mortanis posted:

Yeah, it bugs me too but they've been doing it since the beginning and I like to think Adam and Jamie think those intros are stupid too. Half the time it looks like they're really camping it up and overplaying their exposition.

Mortanis
Dec 28, 2005

College Slice
Given how little overlap there is between the two "teams", I'd say your right... I'm sure they piss Jamie off to no end.

Not to mention... Tory is 37... Somehow it seems like he might be mid 20's.. but he's pushing 40. Somehow it's all just a bit creepy.

Universe Master
Jun 20, 2005

Darn Fine Pie

Jack Gladney posted:

Yeah, it bugs me too but they've been doing it since the beginning and I like to think Adam and Jamie think those intros are stupid too. Half the time it looks like they're really camping it up and overplaying their exposition.

I imagine the discussion before every setup goes something like this.

Producers: "Adam, we want you to be completely naked except for this long sock and lots of whip cream"

Adam: "Great, can I have a trumpet too?"

Producers: "Sure. Now, Jamie, we want you to..."

Jamie: "No"

Producers: "But we just want to..."

Jamie "No"

Producers: "If you could just..."

Jamie "No"

Producers: "Ok Adam go get ready. Jamie make sure you have your...white shirt and beret on, I guess. We film in 10."

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Mortanis posted:

Not to mention... Tory is 37... Somehow it seems like he might be mid 20's.. but he's pushing 40. Somehow it's all just a bit creepy.

Seriously? I thought he was like 29 or something. 32 tops. How old are the others?

Top Bunk Wanker
Jan 31, 2005

Top Trump Anger

Endormoon posted:

I can't even make it through the opening credits of Smash Lab without cringing. The section where they are introducing each person has actually caused me to yell at my TV. "Who is Smash Lab? These four boring people. Guy with unshaved face. Guy with glasses. Guy who never talks. Sort of cute girl who is supposed to be smart but reads off cue cards." SLOOWWW MOTION WIND SCENE! gently caress it.

Not only that, but one of their official positions is "Ideas Guy". What, could they not work in "Wiki Maintainer"?

ANGRY VIRGIN GAMER
Jul 5, 2007

by The Finn

Martytoof posted:

Seriously? I thought he was like 29 or something. 32 tops. How old are the others?

Kari is like 35 or something. I don't know about Grant.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Turtle Repairman posted:

Not only that, but one of their official positions is "Ideas Guy". What, could they not work in "Wiki Maintainer"?

Ahaha, Ideas Guy? Every nerd's dream come true, coming up with all the cool ideas and making other saps actually do them!

Universe Master
Jun 20, 2005

Darn Fine Pie

Martytoof posted:

According to IMDB

Kari was born in 1974 (The trivia section lists her bra size; That's just loving creepy)

Grant in 1970

Tori in 1970

Adam in 1967

and Jamie in 1956

ANGRY VIRGIN GAMER
Jul 5, 2007

by The Finn

Universe Master posted:

According to IMDB

Kari was born in 1974 (The trivia section lists her bra size; That's just loving creepy)

Grant in 1970

Tori in 1970

Adam in 1967

and Jamie in 1956

Jamie looks really loving good for being over 50.

I wouldn't have thought Adam was 40 either.

uuugghhhhhhhh jr
Nov 19, 2005

ugh

Filthy Assistant posted:

Jamie looks really loving good for being over 50.

I wouldn't have thought Adam was 40 either.

Playing with toys all day must keep them young, inside and out :unsmith:

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Martytoof posted:

He always struck me as one of those guys that acts way younger than he should. Like Ty Pennington, but much less obnoxious.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

McSpanky posted:

Ahaha, Ideas Guy? Every nerd's dream come true, coming up with all the cool ideas and making other saps actually do them!
Sometimes I just watch the intro to laugh at their titles. I don't think anyones said they wanted those jobs when they were any older than 8.

Seriously, ideas guy? The last time that was actually a job title was in the last dot com that blew up in the beginning of the decade.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

IRQ posted:

He always struck me as one of those guys that acts way younger than he should. Like Ty Pennington, but much less obnoxious.
Ty is 43, so... yeah.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

So these guys all look a lot younger than they are. I put Kari at maybe mid 20s, Grant and Tory at late 20s. I guess they just all just act a lot younger.

I honestly didn't even venture a guess as to how old Adam and Jamie were though, so I guess they aren't much of a surprise.

Anyway, I don't feel so bad turning 30 this year now :laffo:

some kinda jackal fucked around with this message at 18:08 on Feb 22, 2008

Free Market Gravy
Sep 17, 2005

IRQ posted:

I also thought it was hilarious in one of the polygraph myth episodes when he basically admitted to lying about his age to bang college girls on Spring Break :lol:

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

I just watched this week's Smashlab. I give the narrator roughly 2 months before he commits suicide over having to pretend that the utterly retarded crap on this show might be in any way not retarded. They must pay the actors on it billions of dollars to pretend this garbage is in any way not retarded.

If someone was willing to spend 100k+ on fireproofing their house they'd just loving build the thing out something not inflammable, you know, like steel reinforced concrete, which is cheaper than elaborate high tech subterranean hydrolic tent mechanisms with fire retardant cloth and high tech insulation and poo poo, which is in itself dependent upon access to an electrical grid which may (probably) not be reliable in a raging forest fire situation. Guess what fags, stone aggregate doesn't burn and is cheap!

WHY DOES THIS SHOW EXIST?! :argh::arghfist::arghfist::arghfist::arghfist:

IRQ fucked around with this message at 09:10 on Feb 23, 2008

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I hadn't ever watched Smashlab before, so from the outside in I figured you guys were just nitpicky whiners.

So I watched an episode just now. Holy wow, is it ever bad.

Conduit for Sale!
Apr 17, 2007

They should do an episode of Smash Lab where they try to figure out how to fix that chick's teeth.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Electric Hobo posted:

They should do an episode of Smash Lab where they try to figure out how to fix that chick's teeth.

Well guys, you can drive nails into a wall with a hammer to make them flush, so it stands to reason that if we hit Dee-anne in the face with a bulldozer that her teeth will become straight. It'll revolutionize dentistry!

Hawkman
Aug 6, 2002

daaaaaaaaaaaaaamn

Martytoof posted:

I hadn't ever watched Smashlab before, so from the outside in I figured you guys were just nitpicky whiners.

So I watched an episode just now. Holy wow, is it ever bad.
http://blogs.discovery.com/smash_lab/2008/01/an-open-letter.html

quote:

Smash Lab is a different program set around a concept we call "dangerous experiments for a safer world." Our Smash Lab team uses cutting-edge technology to make our lives a little safer. We're a brand new show with a big idea and we're working hard to get the science and storytelling as good as we can as fast as we can. I'm paying attention to all your messages-- even the "ouch" ones-- to figure out ways to make it better. We'd love your ideas on how to make our experiments stronger. What would you do differently? What innovative materials would you use? Let us know and keep watching while we work with you to make Smash Lab a show you love to watch.

Most of the comments are just KILL IT KILL IT but there are a few good ones from people ("Tim Raisbeck") claiming that the vast amount of negative comments on the show are the result of some sort of conspiracy because a lot of the people who comment on the show in its blog comments section and on the discovery message board have "either never had accounts, or if they did, never posted prior to their participation on the Smash Lab board.". It apparently hasn't occurred to him that people who normally wouldn't bother to comment on things might be registering accounts specifically to complain about the show.

robot roll call
Mar 7, 2006

dance dance dance dance dance to the radio

Hawkman posted:

http://blogs.discovery.com/smash_lab/2008/01/an-open-letter.html

Most of the comments are just KILL IT KILL IT but there are a few good ones from people ("Tim Raisbeck") claiming that the vast amount of negative comments on the show are the result of some sort of conspiracy because a lot of the people who comment on the show in its blog comments section and on the discovery message board have "either never had accounts, or if they did, never posted prior to their participation on the Smash Lab board.". It apparently hasn't occurred to him that people who normally wouldn't bother to comment on things might be registering accounts specifically to complain about the show.

I can't believe how much vitriol this show inspires. I've avoided watching it, but there have always been bad shows on Discovery and I doubt they've ever provoked this kind of reaction. That's what they get for pairing it with Mythbusters I guess.

As a side note, it's pretty funny to read a whole forum of people more educated than the average internet user essentially flaming a show. I think I saw the word "please" more than I have before in my entire internet career, and not one of them used profanity.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

The problem is that Smash Labs is, in practice, Mythbusters minus any of the charm, fun or (relative) sensibility. Somehow Mythbusters seems more reasonable in their experiments even when they're testing stuff like the drunk pissing on an electrified rail, compared to Smash Labs' supposedly helpful and productive ventures, and they seem to be having more genuine fun even though they rarely do things as big as Smash Labs does. It's just less.

The icing on this cake of failure is that Smash Labs isn't a cheap cash-in attempt by another network, it's Discovery creating lovely competition for one of their own most popular shows! It's like they saw the Law & Order/CSI spinoff dynasties and decided to do that, except they have absolutely no idea how to create an interesting variant of the successful original.

McSpanky fucked around with this message at 06:36 on Feb 24, 2008

Hawkman
Aug 6, 2002

daaaaaaaaaaaaaamn

McSpanky posted:

Somehow Mythbusters seems more reasonable in their experiments even when they're testing stuff like the drunk pissing on an electrified rail
WOOOOOOO WE'RE SCIENTISTS IDEAS GUY TOLD US TO SPRAY RHINO LINER(TM) ALL OVER THIS OBJECT WHICH IS NOW COATED WITH RHINO LINER(TM) WOOOOOOO AAAAHHHHH RHINO LINER (TM) NOW WE'RE DETONATING A BOMB (run footage of object blowing up 90 times from 3 different angles alternating between slow motion and full speed)

RHINO LINER

woo

NEXT TIME, ON SMASH LAB: MAVERICK INVENTORS CRASH A BUNCH OF CARS AND poo poo INTO CONCRETE BLOCKS, THAT'S FUN RIGHT

Hawkman fucked around with this message at 06:43 on Feb 24, 2008

ANGRY VIRGIN GAMER
Jul 5, 2007

by The Finn

Hawkman posted:

WOOOOOOO WE'RE SCIENTISTS IDEAS GUY TOLD US TO SPRAY RHINO LINER(TM) ALL OVER THIS OBJECT WHICH IS NOW COATED WITH RHINO LINER(TM) WOOOOOOO AAAAHHHHH RHINO LINER (TM) NOW WE'RE DETONATING A BOMB (run footage of object blowing up 90 times from 3 different angles alternating between slow motion and full speed)

RHINO LINER

woo

NEXT TIME, ON SMASH LAB: MAVERICK INVENTORS CRASH A BUNCH OF CARS AND poo poo INTO CONCRETE BLOCKS, THAT'S FUN RIGHT

This is even better if you imagine it in Nathan Explosion's voice.

Seriously how much are they being paid by Rhino Liner? They mention it like every other sentence.

Hawkman
Aug 6, 2002

daaaaaaaaaaaaaamn

Filthy Assistant posted:

This is even better if you imagine it in Nathan Explosion's voice.

Seriously how much are they being paid by Rhino Liner? They mention it like every other sentence.
Next time, on DethLab: Pickles covers the tour bus in pillows in an attempt to see how many soft things it will take before it is safe to speed through a crowded crosswalk at 60MPH!

(clip of pillow-covered Dethklok tour bus screaming through intersection, body parts fly everywhere)

Nathan: WHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAT

Hawkman fucked around with this message at 16:51 on Feb 24, 2008

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

My favorite experiment of all time is when they jumped off of a 40' building to see whether or not people are afraid of jumping off of a 40' building.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC
Smash Lab needs to be split into two shows.

The first show, Smash Lab, would focus purely on destruction. Think of a big budget "Will it Blend?" Things get blown up, crushed, crashed and ripped to shreds.

The second show has a similar premise to what Smash Lab claims it wants to do, but it actually attempts to act on it. You have TWO hosts, both with some background in science and/or engineering, who travel the country to meet experts who are attempting to create new technologies to make the world a better/safer place. The show is topped off with segments where these new ideas and inventions are put to the test. Viewer's Choice episodes have people submitting ideas to the team and has the team attempting to see if they will work.

• Locked thread