Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pain of Mind
Jul 10, 2004
You are receiving this broadcast as a dream...We are transmitting from the year one nine... nine nine ...You are receiving this broadcast in order t

Not UNIX posted:

I've been wondering for about a month now if my PG&E bill is higher than it should be. It was like $80 in fall, then went up over $200 in winter. We cut back heavily on the heat usage, and this past month, we barely used it at all, but our bill is the highest it's been yet. Richmond, 3 people, ~1800 square feet, electric heat. At this point, I'm skeptical that the heat has a significant effect, and I'd really like to turn it back on.

I have been getting weird bills where it alternates between super high then super low. Like it will be $27, then $130. I figure the person reading the meters just sucks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Wormy Guy
May 7, 2002
Wish I knew about this place before I posted in Ask/Tell:
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2752903

Moving to SF in March, looking for places in Pac Heights area as my girlfriend seems to like that area the best.

Anyone know anyone in advertising, interactive marketing, online web stuff who is hiring project managers?

Not UNIX
Mar 29, 2005
It was stupid speculation when the WSJ reported it, and it's stupid speculation now. It's never going to happen.

The Wormy Guy posted:

Moving to SF in March, looking for places in Pac Heights area as my girlfriend seems to like that area the best.

Anyone know anyone in advertising, interactive marketing, online web stuff who is hiring project managers?
If you haven't yet, look on Craigslist. There's tons of that stuff.

JohnnyRed
Aug 19, 2004

by Ozma

The Wormy Guy posted:

Oh yeah Pac Heights is awesome. PSYCH, I hope you're a collar-poppin douche-bag with a billion dollars, otherwise forget it.

Seriously, check out North Beach, its like walking distance to Pac Heights, but is way more affordable, and a lot more fun. It's still fuckin weird though...

johnelway7
Sep 25, 2004

JohnnyRed posted:

Oh yeah Pac Heights is awesome. PSYCH, I hope you're a collar-poppin douche-bag with a billion dollars, otherwise forget it.

Seriously, check out North Beach, its like walking distance to Pac Heights, but is way more affordable, and a lot more fun. It's still fuckin weird though...

Hah, pretty much my thoughts exactly... But also,

"My girlfriend seems to like Pacific Heights..."

prompted a "find a new girlfriend" thought in my head. I'm just saying...

Seriously though... pacific heights is seriously boring unless you head down divis. I live above chinatown in the chinatown/russian hill/northbeach/nob hill intersection. Check out ANY of these neighborhoods as an alternative to pac heights. I find my neighborhood boring, but if I lived in pac heights, I dunno WHAT I'd do with myself. I think I'd almost rather live in the freaking Marina than Pacific Heights.

That said, to each his own. If you're looking for that pacific heights thing, i guess it's good enough. You're living in a subburb right smack in the middle of a big city. Just stick to your 5 square blocks and you should be fine. I just think if that's what you're looking for, Walnut Creek might be more up you're alley. It'll take you 30 minutes to get to work in the financial district either way.

Debbie Metallica
Jun 7, 2001

Not UNIX posted:

I've been wondering for about a month now if my PG&E bill is higher than it should be. It was like $80 in fall, then went up over $200 in winter. We cut back heavily on the heat usage, and this past month, we barely used it at all, but our bill is the highest it's been yet. Richmond, 3 people, ~1800 square feet, electric heat. At this point, I'm skeptical that the heat has a significant effect, and I'd really like to turn it back on.

Our bills have been that high too. I don't know how many square feet our apartment is but it's on the larger side for a 2 bedroom. lovely insulation + old richmond building in the richmond = big bills.

Though our biggest problem is that our moron landlord turned what was previously an outside room into an extension of the kitchen by merely adding in some tile and paint. So the room that houses our fridge is FREEZING all the time and let out tons of heat under the door. We sealed it up a bit and I think that helped along with just turning down the heat a bit but my boyfriend still forked out about $125 last month.

johnelway7
Sep 25, 2004

Ozma posted:

Our bills have been that high too. I don't know how many square feet our apartment is but it's on the larger side for a 2 bedroom. lovely insulation + old richmond building in the richmond = big bills.

Though our biggest problem is that our moron landlord turned what was previously an outside room into an extension of the kitchen by merely adding in some tile and paint. So the room that houses our fridge is FREEZING all the time and let out tons of heat under the door. We sealed it up a bit and I think that helped along with just turning down the heat a bit but my boyfriend still forked out about $125 last month.

I moved here (San Francisco) from Chicago... We lived in a 100+ year old building with an enclosed porch and a woman who moved to Arizona during the winter below us. Count your blessings.

Edit... please remember that FREEZING means less than 32F. It doesn't even get that cold here... come on now.

johnelway7 fucked around with this message at 06:58 on Jan 26, 2008

hermanos
Dec 30, 2005

Magoo said that the "bird's the word"
But the Fur Byrd Gang flip birds on curbs
I am from GA and freezing is anything below 80 degrees thank you very much

I'm just glad my place is small, otherwise I'd be paying out the rear end for heat, too. I did invest in extra blankets, though, just because.

Debbie Metallica
Jun 7, 2001

johnelway7 posted:

Edit... please remember that FREEZING means less than 32F. It doesn't even get that cold here... come on now.
You don't have to tell me about freezing- I've lived in places where it's -50 windchill constantly for weeks at a time. :)

My heating bills were never even approaching that bad at the time because houses elsewhere, even older ones, are equipped a little better to handle extreme cold. Bay area homes aren't and on top of that, the moisture makes things hurt a lot more in the cold so even if the temp difference isn't as bad, it can feel awful when it's cold. Where I'm from it's cold but it's also very dry most of the time so you at least have that going in your favor.

komputerworx
Mar 20, 2004
So I finally made the move out to San Francisco from the East Coast. It's been a pretty huge life change, trying to learn all of the public transportation and such. I'm staying on Market St., near the Civic Center/Van Ness. Where do you goons go to hang out?

Edit - Just found the SF Bay Area meet thread, I'll stalk that for a while.

komputerworx fucked around with this message at 02:04 on Jan 27, 2008

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

https://transit.511.org and https://www.nextbus.com are your friends.

idiotsavant
Jun 4, 2000
I think I'm gonna go crazy getting a good place (parking, bigger than a cubbyhole, not in the farthest southwest corner of sunset). I have a blemish-free credit report, a nearly perfect credit score, a permanent full-time union job that pays well (including a letter from my boss stating that I'm employed full-time), and a previous landlord reference from a year ago when I lived in a place for a year with 5 other guys and never had a single problem.

Hopefully I'm gonna get in contact with a landlord I had like 3 years ago who will also give me a glowing review, but I'm gonna be pissed as gently caress if that still isn't enough to satisfy people. Uuurgghhhhh.

komputerworx
Mar 20, 2004

idiotsavant posted:

I think I'm gonna go crazy getting a good place (parking, bigger than a cubbyhole, not in the farthest southwest corner of sunset). I have a blemish-free credit report, a nearly perfect credit score, a permanent full-time union job that pays well (including a letter from my boss stating that I'm employed full-time), and a previous landlord reference from a year ago when I lived in a place for a year with 5 other guys and never had a single problem.

Hopefully I'm gonna get in contact with a landlord I had like 3 years ago who will also give me a glowing review, but I'm gonna be pissed as gently caress if that still isn't enough to satisfy people. Uuurgghhhhh.

I'm sure you'll be fine. There's tons of places on the market right now that are looking for renters. My credit report isn't stellar, I've never lived on my own or had a landlord, and I was approved quickly with several companies to rent. I did have to show them proof of income though.

The Wormy Guy
May 7, 2002
Anyone have an opinion of the Walnut Creek area? Also, the morning commute on the BART from Walnut Creek to downtown SF? the GF and I are looking at places there and wondering if it's too far from the city.

idiotsavant
Jun 4, 2000
It's nice I guess but most of the people are shiny plastic jerkoffs

Mandaryn
Sep 4, 2004

COCK SNAKE!

The Wormy Guy posted:

Anyone have an opinion of the Walnut Creek area? Also, the morning commute on the BART from Walnut Creek to downtown SF? the GF and I are looking at places there and wondering if it's too far from the city.

I'd look at the surrounding areas. You could probably find something a bit more affordable in Concord or Pleasant Hill and still fairly close to a BART station.

Debbie Metallica
Jun 7, 2001

Someone explain this to those of us who only barely follow local politics:

How did Daly just piss everyone off again? The 50% of housing for low income thing actually sounds like one of his better ideas... do we honestly need to attract a ton of "new development" in the area?

digital-entropy
Apr 21, 2002

Ozma posted:

How did Daly just piss everyone off again? The 50% of housing for low income thing actually sounds like one of his better ideas... do we honestly need to attract a ton of "new development" in the area?

I haven't seen the math on it, but Lennar Corp., the company slated to build 10000 homes in Bayview / Hunter's Point says that they're planning to make 25% of it low-income housing (i.e. below market rates), but that requiring half of it to be sold below market value would be infeasible. Given that, it sounds like they will back out if Daly's measure succeeds, stating that they wouldn't profit enough to make it worthwhile.

It also seems that scuttling the housing plan would also mean that a new stadium for the 49's would not be built (assuming they don't move to Santa Clara), and I suppose if you care a lot about local football you might also get upset about that.

Honestly I think it's just that Daly's built himself such a reputation that anything he does will be viewed as controversial. It also seems that Newsom's office negotiated with Lennar and they don't appreciate Daly coming in and attempting to override whatever deal they came up with.

http://www.examiner.com/a-1201153~Daly_s_measure_could__kill__Bayview_development.html
http://www.fogcityjournal.com/news_in_brief/overheard_080205.shtml

digital-entropy fucked around with this message at 23:16 on Feb 5, 2008

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

Ozma posted:

Of course the city needs new development. Part of the reason why housing is so expensive is the fact that there isn't enough of it. Furthermore, given the high costs of building in the city, having to allocate 50% affordable housing would make the project pretty much economically unfeasible.

NotoriousEagle
Jul 3, 2007

by Ozma

The Wormy Guy posted:

I commute from that area (Concord/Pleasant Hill) on tuesdays, thursdays and saturdays. All I can suggest is getting a fastpass to make going through the bridge more convenient, not really faster but at least its slightly cheaper and you don't have to take out cash. Prepare to spend 30-50 minutes on a good day and an hour and a half on a bad day. The cost of gas + bridge is about the same as taking BART and Muni around the city so it really just comes down to convenience and wear and tear on the car. BART will add up to the same as driving, but you won't be contributing to traffic. Although BART is very very crowded early in the morning and on the way home. So its really just gonna eat up your time no matter which way you go. If thats an issue, maybe SF isn't the right place for you because its so crowded.

Cry For More Fish
Mar 21, 2003

Then I lost to a guy and it changed my life. I swore I would never lose to a guy in a wheelchair again
(Oops, meant to post this in the goon meet thread)

Cry For More Fish fucked around with this message at 10:25 on Feb 7, 2008

Emasculatrix
Nov 30, 2004

Tell Me You Love Me.
What are some good weekend trips around here? If I have 4 days to travel, and I'm starting in Santa Rosa-area, where should I go?

Bob Log
May 19, 2004

Hey, It's Bob Log

controlfreak posted:

What are some good weekend trips around here? If I have 4 days to travel, and I'm starting in Santa Rosa-area, where should I go?

If you're into wine, I highly recommend Napa, head north up Highway 29 from 121 and then either cross over to Silverado Trail for great scenery and expensive wines that cater to a rich palette or just stay on 29 to hit lots of good but reasonably priced wineries, restaurants and hotels. I recommend Rubicon Estate (there's a $30/per person cover fee to get in that includes all your tasting, it's worth it) and V. Sattui. Domaine Chandon (Hwy 29 in Yountville) is excellent if you like sparkling wine and Domaine Carneros (Highway 121 in Carneros)if you prefer Chardonnay or fruity Cabernet. You could easily blow 4 days in Napa without spending too much money. Otherwise I'd say make the trip to Tahoe, it's a 4 hour drive from Santa Rosa, but it's gorgeous if you've never been, it's also the perfect weather up there now.

In a completely unrelated area, a friend of mine who lives in San Mateo is interested in going to a Hip-Hop club for dancing, can anyone recommend a good club with a decent atmosphere where you can enjoy dancing all night? Hopefully within a 30min drive from San Mateo.

Rubies
Dec 30, 2005

Live Forever
Die Every Day

:h: :s: :d: :c:
a.) Is Monterey considered "bay area"? It's pretty far out but it's got a similar (though much more subdued) feeling to it and I guess it's not that far.

b.) Even if it's not, can anyone recommend to me some good nightlife in Monterey/Pacific Grove? I've gone to a few bars but they mostly wrap up early or aren't too great. The "not too great" ones weren't terrible but I think they're more for older richer tourists. I'm 24 years old and just here to housesit for a few weeks, not some middle aged guy with a huge wad of saved-up vacation cash that wants class and quiet. I haven't really found the place that's right for me. I always feel strange at first going out alone but I don't have trouble meeting people - as long as we're sort of near the same demographic and I'm not finding that.

This whole peninsula is really sleepy :(. It's lovely but I've been here for a week and walking around looking at the coastline is getting old fast. I don't like to drink on my own and feel scummy asking at bars for any other substance, so it looks like my highlight for the night might be making pasta. Jeez.

At first I thought everyone here was an rear end in a top hat but it turns out a lot of them were golf guys here for the AT&T thing. People around here are friendly and I want to know where the younger crowd congregates. Help me!

Emasculatrix
Nov 30, 2004

Tell Me You Love Me.

John Q Russia posted:

Monterey

Technically speaking, Monterey is part of the Central Coast, especially since it is on a different bay altogether from the bay area. However, you're still welcome to pretend you're one of us, because most people don't know the difference anyway. As for stuff to do in Monterey, I can't help you, but I can say that if I lived in Monterey/Pacific Grove I would park my rear end on the beach and never leave.

pumpkinpie
Jan 27, 2008
I lived in Monterey for a little while, and part of why I left was because there seemed to be no young people and little nightlife. I went to a few cool shows at Doc Rickett's Lab, though. I liked Santa Cruz a lot more for going out.

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

Santa Cruz is considered by many to be part of the Bay Area. Watsonville, Salinas and Monterey are also included sometimes. One thing is for sure...the local news reports on the Salinas-Monterey area as if it were part of the bay. It's basically just beyond the edge. Monterey county has bus service to San Jose too, so...close enough. The climate is definetely very similar. The weather on Monterey Bay is almost identical to SF, I find.

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

gret posted:

Of course the city needs new development. Part of the reason why housing is so expensive is the fact that there isn't enough of it. Furthermore, given the high costs of building in the city, having to allocate 50% affordable housing would make the project pretty much economically unfeasible.

The biggest problem with the housing market here is that it doesn't function under normal economic standards because demand is functionally unlimited. People can (and have) built huge high-rise buildings of condos that end up having no impact on the real market because they all got sold to retirees, real estate speculators that rent them as vacation rentals, and loaded people who work in silicon valley but don't want to live in San Jose (commuting FROM the city to outlying bay area :psyduck: ). Currently the city requires 10% to be offered to qualifying city residents at below-market prices but honestly "below market" is still way out of reach for almost everyone, and 10% of a 200 unit building really doesn't help.

At least San Francisco is still relatively genuine. Santa Cruz is absolutely nothing but student ghettos, low-income housing, and vacation rentals. It's depressing as hell.

JohnnyRed
Aug 19, 2004

by Ozma
Anyone at the DJ Shadow / Cut CHemist show last night? Pretty loving sweet! Weird venue though, fit well with the weird crowd and the weird show

Socket Ryanist
Aug 30, 2004

I have an extra ticket to Electro-Techno-Disco LOVE--anyone wanna go with me? The tickets are selling for like $65+ now but I got a cheap presale you can have for $50!

JohnnyRed
Aug 19, 2004

by Ozma
BTW you're all idiots if you don't see Blade Runner at the Castro this weekend

Sabacc
Jul 8, 2002

JohnnyRed posted:

BTW you're all idiots if you don't see Blade Runner at the Castro this weekend

What's this rumor about The Castro Theater closing down?

Drink and Fight
Feb 2, 2003

Sabacc posted:

What's this rumor about The Castro Theater closing down?

I heard they can't afford to stay there anymore.

Sabacc
Jul 8, 2002

spiderpie posted:

I heard they can't afford to stay there anymore.

I can't tell if you're being a smartass or not...

But it seems to me that there's a huge enough community of support for The Castro Theater, based on the number of film festivals they host alone. How the heck can they not be making enough money, and/or be receiving at least a little break from the city for being a historical landmark?

The same goes for City Lights, which I've also heard is closing down, since August.

Drink and Fight
Feb 2, 2003

Sabacc posted:

I can't tell if you're being a smartass or not...

But it seems to me that there's a huge enough community of support for The Castro Theater, based on the number of film festivals they host alone. How the heck can they not be making enough money, and/or be receiving at least a little break from the city for being a historical landmark?

The same goes for City Lights, which I've also heard is closing down, since August.

Not being a smartass, that's the rumor I heard, although a half-assed google search turns up nothing about it. I also don't see how they wouldn't make enough money, unless the landlords are a bunch of assholes, or something.

JohnnyRed
Aug 19, 2004

by Ozma
I heard that rumor too, but I don't buy it at all. They have their listings planned through April.

Yes, in April they are playing a double feature of Robocop and Terminator

Oh also, GZA is doing Liquid Swords straight through at the Independent at the end of March. YES

Grigori Rasputin
Aug 21, 2000
WE DON'T NEED ROME TELLING US WHAT TO DO

JohnnyRed posted:

I heard that rumor too, but I don't buy it at all. They have their listings planned through April.

Yes, in April they are playing a double feature of Robocop and Terminator

Oh also, GZA is doing Liquid Swords straight through at the Independent at the end of March. YES

oh drat on both counts

Rodney Munch
May 4, 2006

IT'S NOT MY FAULT THAT MY GENES HATE HOMOSEXUALS
poo poo I just went to a concert at the Filmore this last weekend. I forgot how awesome that place is. Easily one of the best concert venues I've ever been to.

So here is a nice question for old school bay area dudes. Do you guys remember "the jump". That little tiny bit of 680 southbound right after the Benicia Bridge? If you were in the left lane you could get hella air and it was awesome. Sadly it got repaved several years ago and its no longer possible to feel the floaty air feeling anymore.

That is the day my childhood died :smith:

JohnnyRed
Aug 19, 2004

by Ozma

Rodney Munch posted:

poo poo I just went to a concert at the Filmore this last weekend. I forgot how awesome that place is. Easily one of the best concert venues I've ever been to.

Also awesome because they usually give out posters!

Cornelius there was loving prime

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005
For people complaining about their PG&E bills and the cold, if you haven't put this insulation on your windows, I highly recommend it:
http://video.about.com/apartments/Winterize-Drafty-Windows.htm

It's about $20 for one package of the insulation (get at any hardware store), which was enough for me to cover a huge bay window and I think a couple smaller windows. If you only have single-pane windows, it will immediately make an amazing difference.

• Locked thread