Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

rocketrobot
Jul 11, 2003

Happydogska posted:

NOOTS, explaining the Cloister spell.

What the heck is that in the last panel? It's obviously something green and leafy (so to speak), and not a succubus.

Probably a dryad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Manyorcas
Jun 16, 2007

The person who arrives last is fined, regardless of whether that person's late or not.

terminal mehmet posted:

Probably a dryad.

It was one of his fellow adventurers from when he had adventures.

rocketrobot
Jul 11, 2003

Manyorcas posted:

Still could be a dryad! :v:

The loophole was probably for a certain monster "type." So, whatever Ceila is would probably be able to get through.

Gally
May 31, 2001

Come on!
Its an elf chick, you see her a lot in the start of darkness.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Happydogska posted:

What the heck is that in the last panel? It's obviously something green and leafy (so to speak), and not a succubus.

Since Dorukan seems to be something of a hippy my guess would be nymph.

bgaesop
Nov 1, 2005

by Y Kant Ozma Post
I cannot get over how much Erfworld sucks

Sergeant Rock
Apr 28, 2002

"... call the expert at kissing and stuff..."

bgaesop posted:

I cannot get over how much Erfworld sucks

Yup. Never copy the strip into this thread again. I choose not to read the bloody thing because I can smell the nerdery coming off the screen, so no shoving it into a thread about OOTS.

bgaesop
Nov 1, 2005

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Complaining about the nerdiness in the OOTS thread is kind of ridiculous, but please, that comic is so painfully unfunny

LuchadoresDelNixon
Feb 7, 2007

Moonbase Alpha provides a realistic simulation of life on a natural satellite

Happydogska posted:

Manyorcas posted:

Gally posted:

Its an elf chick, you see her a lot in the start of darkness.

Schwarzwald posted:

Since Dorukan seems to be something of a hippy my guess would be nymph.

Oh my god come on people.

Her name is Lirian. She's a druid. And she's totally in Shinjo's snarl backstory, and Dorukan's lover. A long long time ago in a dungeon far away.

LuchadoresDelNixon fucked around with this message at 13:12 on Feb 27, 2008

Gassire
Dec 30, 2004

"They're people. Deeply flawed, yes, but deeply human too. And maybe that's saying the same thing."
The fourth rune protector. Probably why he'd send the others out to lunch.

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe
Well anyway the joke stands. He left a hole in the Cloister so he could cast summoning (calling) (booty) spells.

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit
http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0533.html <---Oh hey new strip

:siren:

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

Break bread wit the enemy

X GON GIVE IT TO YA
Loved it, I'm really thankful for the double strips lately :)

The Werle
Aug 8, 2005

Fireworks for Christmas is absolutely American
Awww, Mr Scruffy is the cuddliest lil revolutionary, yes he is, YES HE IS!

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

This strip is like every god drat game of L5R I have ever played ever.

NutShellBill
Dec 4, 2004
I AM SPUTNIK'S PARACHUTE ACCOUNT

SlimGoodbody posted:

This strip is like every god drat game of L5R I have ever played ever.

Someone else plays L5R?

Cool beans.

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe

NutShellBill posted:

Someone else plays L5R?

Cool beans.

The real question is whether anybody plays L5R without dressing up. Seriously I'd love to play that game but it apparently attracts LARPers like flies to honey.

IMJack
Apr 16, 2003

Royalty is a continuous ripping and tearing motion.

Fun Shoe

NutShellBill posted:

Someone else plays L5R?

Cool beans.

The one time I tried to play L5R, we had three people in the group who were new to the game and wanted to play samurai schlock, and two who were hardcore L5R junkies who wanted to stay firmly within the world.

Things didn't go so hot.

Kojiro
Aug 11, 2003

LET'S GET TO THE TOP!
Man L5R has a really poorly laid-out book. It seems like it wasn't throughly playtested either.. 'To grapple, use the wrestling skill'. What wrestling skill?!

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

SuperKlaus posted:

The real question is whether anybody plays L5R without dressing up. Seriously I'd love to play that game but it apparently attracts LARPers like flies to honey.

There's an L5R LARP? What the gently caress? How would that even work?

Kahrytes
Jun 4, 2004

Now I need a drink. Not this one. Another one. And in a different place.

SlimGoodbody posted:

There's an L5R LARP? What the gently caress? How would that even work?

I think that's the problem. LARPers LOVE Japanese culture. I know a few DMs who try to integrate LARP into their games, never goes well.

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

Kahrytes posted:

I think that's the problem. LARPers LOVE Japanese culture. I know a few DMs who try to integrate LARP into their games, never goes well.

It doesn't seem like tabletop systems would lend themselves very well to a LARP. Neither does standing around imagining you're wearing samurai armor.

Wait, now, what am I sayin? Imagining I have samurai armor on would probably improve every aspect of my day.

NutShellBill
Dec 4, 2004
I AM SPUTNIK'S PARACHUTE ACCOUNT

SlimGoodbody posted:

It doesn't seem like tabletop systems would lend themselves very well to a LARP. Neither does standing around imagining you're wearing samurai armor.

Wait, now, what am I sayin? Imagining I have samurai armor on would probably improve every aspect of my day.

So would being able to cut anyone in half, once they've "insulted your honour."

I'm going to miss Azure City, though I think I might be the only one.

P.S. Grapple uses Jiujutsu in L5R. Wrestling is an emphasis, at most. Also, the book was edited by squirrels. Lest we forget that "Benten is the only female fortune who is a female."

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

What the christing gently caress is even going on in today's Erfworld?

hey girl you up
May 21, 2001

Forum Nice Guy
edit: a bit touchy today?

gothfae
Mar 28, 2004

There seems no plan because it is all plan. There seems no center because it is all center.

SlimGoodbody posted:

What the christing gently caress is even going on in today's Erfworld?

We were specifically told by Hermanos not to talk about that comic in this thread, either start a thread or don't, but don't bring it up in here. I thought what was happening was fairly obvious.

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

Sorry, didn't see the post by Hermanos. I only asked because this one is completely vague as to what is going on. Something maybe fought something and then there was this other thing END OF COMIC.

In order to make a somewhat relevant post, what do you think Rich is gonna do when 4th ed comes out? I know OotS started with the dawn of 3.5. Do you think the Snarl is gonna somehow gently caress everything up, causing the in-world rules to evolve into 4th ed, sort of like how Vecna (I think it was Vecna) begat 3rd ed in the Dead Gods 2nd ed campaign?

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

A smile better suits a hero

SlimGoodbody posted:

In order to make a somewhat relevant post, what do you think Rich is gonna do when 4th ed comes out? I know OotS started with the dawn of 3.5. Do you think the Snarl is gonna somehow gently caress everything up, causing the in-world rules to evolve into 4th ed, sort of like how Vecna (I think it was Vecna) begat 3rd ed in the Dead Gods 2nd ed campaign?

Well to no small extent, he can't update it without killing off at least one major character; Elan. The Bard class isn't going to be in the first PHB, we likely won't get the Bard until PHB II in 2009, and there's no way that Elan can be anything else, it just doesn't work. I hope he just keeps going on with things as they are, it's more than a 3.5 comic, it's a comic about fantasy gaming really and that can stand fine as it is. If anything there's humor to be mined about it not being 4e. It's a finite story from what I've heard and there is an end planned so I figure he'll just keep going on as is.

DoctorTristan
Mar 11, 2006

I would look up into your lifeless eyes and wave, like this. Can you and your associates arrange that for me, Mr. Morden?

rantmo posted:

Well to no small extent, he can't update it without killing off at least one major character; Elan. The Bard class isn't going to be in the first PHB, we likely won't get the Bard until PHB II in 2009, and there's no way that Elan can be anything else, it just doesn't work. I hope he just keeps going on with things as they are, it's more than a 3.5 comic, it's a comic about fantasy gaming really and that can stand fine as it is. If anything there's humor to be mined about it not being 4e. It's a finite story from what I've heard and there is an end planned so I figure he'll just keep going on as is.

Though I'll be disappointed if he doesn't work in at least a couple of jokes related to 4ed.

I haven't really been following the 4ed developments since I gave up on PnP a while ago, but the comments I've heard seem to say that you have no chance at higher levels unless you're some variety of magic user. It kind of makes me wonder if Roy is going to dual to mage or something similar at some point (sorry for the 2ed terminology, but I'm out of date). I'ts been stated several times that his Int is really high, and given his family history it would make for an interesting character development.

bgaesop
Nov 1, 2005

by Y Kant Ozma Post

DoctorTristan posted:

I haven't really been following the 4ed developments since I gave up on PnP a while ago, but the comments I've heard seem to say that you have no chance at higher levels unless you're some variety of magic user.

This is pretty much the complete opposite of true and in fact is how 3e is and one of the major points of 4e is changing that, so basically if you don't know what you're talking about please don't talk

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

Given how proud his grandfather was of him rolling old school, single-class fighter, I don't really think I can see Roy picking up any levels of Mage. I mean, yes he's smart, but I don't really see him as a caster. I dunno. I mean the OotS characters seem pretty iconic, I can't really see any of them convenience classing.

IMJack
Apr 16, 2003

Royalty is a continuous ripping and tearing motion.

Fun Shoe
:siren: New comic is up :siren:

http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0534.html

IMJack fucked around with this message at 20:59 on Mar 1, 2008

ZorbaTHut
May 5, 2005

wake me when the world is saved

IMJack posted:

:siren: New comic is up :siren:

http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0534.html

Poor Roy. Being dead is hard. :(

Appalitch
Apr 25, 2007

Ashcans posted:

Given how proud his grandfather was of him rolling old school, single-class fighter, I don't really think I can see Roy picking up any levels of Mage. I mean, yes he's smart, but I don't really see him as a caster. I dunno. I mean the OotS characters seem pretty iconic, I can't really see any of them convenience classing.

I would be pretty bummed out if they pulled an "oh, they suddenly all got more powers and now have slightly updated costumes because of plot device." I realize that one of the best parts of the comic is inside jokes related to dnd rules that make no sense, but when they did that in 8-bit theater it was really lame.

Anyway, Rich is a great writer and I'm sure he'll come up with something good.

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit

Appalitch posted:

I would be pretty bummed out if they pulled an "oh, they suddenly all got more powers and now have slightly updated costumes because of plot device." I realize that one of the best parts of the comic is inside jokes related to dnd rules that make no sense, but when they did that in 8-bit theater it was really lame.

Anyway, Rich is a great writer and I'm sure he'll come up with something good.

so, what? While playing through FF1 you thought it was really lame to go from a fighter to a knight or a black mage to a black wizard? You could have very well skipped that part. Of course, you would not have access to alot of the upcoming weapons and armor and your stats /hp would be less than they would be.

How the hell can you call it lame when it's an integral part of the story?

Jonked
Feb 15, 2005

bgaesop posted:

This is pretty much the complete opposite of true and in fact is how 3e is and one of the major points of 4e is changing that, so basically if you don't know what you're talking about please don't talk
:nyd:

But seriously, check out the D&D 4e thread in Traditional Games, we've been getting a few juicy bits of information about the new version. Your friend was probably confusing 'Exploits' - special things fighters can do, like knock somebody around with their shield - with Spells, special things wizards can do, like knock someone around with Bigby's Overly Friendly Hand.

Backyarr
Jun 6, 2006
There's a pirate in your backyard!

Fallen Rib
:siren: 535 is up! :siren:

http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0535.html

Amused Frog
Sep 8, 2006
Waah no fair my thread!

Haha, I'd forgotten about those assassins. I love the callbacks Rich constantly does.

bgaesop
Nov 1, 2005

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Jonked posted:

But seriously, check out the D&D 4e thread in Traditional Games, we've been getting a few juicy bits of information about the new version. Your friend was probably confusing 'Exploits' - special things fighters can do, like knock somebody around with their shield - with Spells, special things wizards can do, like knock someone around with Bigby's Overly Friendly Hand.

I'm probably the most prolific poster in that thread and know considerably more about 4e than anyone else in there since I'm actually following the updates outside of that thread, and I don't know which friend you're talking about but I do know I'm completely right about this so I'm not sure what your point is?

edit: Oh wait you were probably talking to the guy I quoted, but I'm going to leave this here to show off what an insufferable jackass I am!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jonked
Feb 15, 2005

bgaesop posted:

edit: Oh wait you were probably talking to the guy I quoted, but I'm going to leave this here to show off what an insufferable jackass I am!

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)