Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

Col posted:

Confirming this. Go to System -> Restricted Drivers Management and you should have the option to automatically enable the proprietory nVidia drivers from there.

If it doesn't display there, then open synaptic (System -> Synaptic Package Manager) and search for a package like nvidia-glx-new or similar.

If you just install the drivers yourself, you will need to reinstall this every time your kernel gets upgraded which will be a pain if you're not comfortable with Linux.

I tried this. I try to click enable and it tells me "The software source for the package nvidia-glx-new" is not enabled. Then it does nothing.

quote:

etc/init.d/gdm stop

But you're probably better off finding a pre-packaged version of the drivers, which will automatically keep them up to date and make sure they're properly integrated with the rest of your setup, as well as being much easier to install.
I tried this as well. It dumps me to a black screen, I can't even enter terminal commands.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

usualhandle
Dec 29, 2007
Nothing special about this handle.

Sabotaged posted:

What's a lightweight login manager I can configure to show login names, and require no password? I setup gdm on my parents computer, but it's too slow.

XDM. My old Uni used to use it on the thin clients.

pyo
Nov 18, 2003

... !

Scaevolus posted:

I think sparse file support depends on the filesystem, but TrueCrypt might be useful.

Hey, that's excellent. Thank you!
I had to download the truecrypt-installer for Debian though, since they have strange licensing for truecrypt, but it was quite easy to use.

Teferet
Oct 22, 2005

by Fragmaster
I'm having trouble getting a wusb11 ver 2.6 usb wireless adapter to work right in 64-bit ubuntu. I can't find the driver for it or anything else that would make it work anywhere. Any ideas besides reinstalling with 32-bit?

DEAD MAN'S SHOE
Nov 23, 2003

We will become evil and the stars will come alive
whats the simplest way of finding an mp3 files bitrate on the commandline?

fatcat
Jun 18, 2004

albert's lookin at you
I guess I'll ask this here. Is there a way to get Firefox 3's tabs to behave the way tabs in Firefox 2 and prior did? That is, is there a way to make it so when I middle click a folder of bookmarks, it closes all the other ones and opens the new ones in their place, rather than just opening the new tabs in addition to the old ones? I've tried a few settings in about:config, but none of them have done what I'm looking for.

usualhandle
Dec 29, 2007

DEAD MAN'S SHOE posted:

code:
mpg321 -t <filename>
Just press ctrl-c when you are done looking at it to exit mpg321.

waffle iron
Jan 16, 2004

DEAD MAN'S SHOE posted:

I'm willing to guess that `file` should be able to tell you.

DEAD MAN'S SHOE
Nov 23, 2003

We will become evil and the stars will come alive
thanks guys, seems that both are hit and miss, particularly with VBR bitrates (mpg321 will return the bitrate detected in blockN and file won't return anything).

tempted to try perl.

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Unless I'm on the inside curve pointing straight at oncoming traffic the high beams stay on and I laugh at your puny protest flashes.
I am Most Important Man. Most Important Man in the World.

DEAD MAN'S SHOE posted:

thanks guys, seems that both are hit and miss, particularly with VBR bitrates (mpg321 will return the bitrate detected in blockN and file won't return anything).

tempted to try perl.
At least Debian seemed to have many apps that might be able to do it, like mp3info.

ZeeBoi
Jan 17, 2001

Lovely. Ubuntu 7.10 does everything right except sound on my laptop. Sound used to work but wireless didn't, now it's the other way round.

Fedora 8 does sound but no wireless. Ditto with openSUSE.

Wee...

fatcat
Jun 18, 2004

albert's lookin at you

ZeeBoi posted:

Lovely. Ubuntu 7.10 does everything right except sound on my laptop. Sound used to work but wireless didn't, now it's the other way round.

Wee...

If you're not averse to living on the bleeding edge, you could give Ubuntu 8.04 alpha 5 a try. I'm personally running it right now and it works fine for me.

http://cdimage.ubuntu.com/releases/hardy/alpha-5/

x1o
Aug 5, 2005

My focus is UNPARALLELED!
Ok, I've got the most retarded UPS alive, and no money to replace it. So I've now got to create the most convoluted shutdown system.

Pretty much, I run a Linux server with VMware Server on it, and it can't talk to my UPS. But not through lack of trying. However, the Win2k3 guest OS can talk to it. So I've got the UPS software installed and it's all working.

I know how to issue commands to a remote server via ssh (Putty and it's ilk) however, for the sake of security, I don't want to use my root account.

So, I created a new account "remshut" and configured ssh so it can log in remotely using a key.

How do I setup sudo so that the user "remshut" can run the command shutdown -h now without it asking for a password? Putting "remshut ALL= NOPASSWD: /sbin/shutdown -h now" into /etc/sudoers does sweet gently caress and all.

x1o fucked around with this message at 06:33 on Feb 25, 2008

Harokey
Jun 12, 2003

Memory is RAM! Oh dear!

TheHeadSage posted:

Ok, I've got the most retarded UPS alive, and no money to replace it. So I've now got to create the most convoluted shutdown system.

Pretty much, I run a Linux server with VMware Server on it, and it can't talk to my UPS. But not through lack of trying. However, the Win2k3 guest OS can talk to it. So I've got the UPS software installed and it's all working.

I know how to issue commands to a remote server via ssh (Putty and it's ilk) however, for the sake of security, I don't want to use my root account.

So, I created a new account "remshut" and configured ssh so it can log in remotely using a key.

How do I setup sudo so that the user "remshut" can run the command shutdown -h now without it asking for a password? Putting "remshut ALL= NOPASSWD: /sbin/shutdown -h now" into /etc/sudoers does sweet gently caress and all.

Maybe the version on sudo in your linux is different, but When i did something like this I had to have the hostname of the server in that line as well. (Of course this was sudo on a Sun system.) Take a look at the man pages.... But I'd guess the syntax of that line is just wrong.

usualhandle
Dec 29, 2007

ZeeBoi posted:

I just fixed three sound issues, only one of which was mine, swing by #shsc later on today (14:00 - 15:00) for a hand.

Since it worked before, there's a good chance it's a driver conflict or some retarded poo poo like that. My old laptop wouldn't load the right sound modules unless I blacklisted the modem driver.

Mysterious Aftertaste
May 20, 2004

So Marigold, my love, you've had too much to drink...

ZeeBoi posted:

Wee...

Did you update the kernel headers (for 2.6.22-14-generic)? The latest updates didn't properly depmod.

If you updated, run

sudo depmod

and restart.

Mysterious Aftertaste fucked around with this message at 16:33 on Feb 25, 2008

Rescue Toaster
Mar 13, 2003
I posted earlier that I'm building a little RAID NAS machine and I've ordered the parts. My plan is to use ubuntu just since I'm comfortable with it, and my questions now primarily concern permissions.

It seems easy enough to put all the users in a group and give the group permissions to a large shared folder, and then each user having their own folder as well. Even though none of the accounts will ever be logged in locally they'll still have home folders.

Since everyone in the group will have write access to the shared folder, I need to make sure someone on a windows machine (in particular) can't accidentally delete everything.

So I'm looking at three things here:

A) Is there a way using samba and the 'sticky bit' to make it so NO-ONE (even the original owner, preferably) can delete files from a group shared folder. If we have to log into a third 'super' account (even VNC'ing to the machine) to delete files that is OK. Though this is the least favorable option.

B) Does the trash/undelete system in ubuntu (or any similar systems) work if a file is deleted via someone connected to the samba server? Sounds like this can be done with vfs_recycle for vfs, but I'm not real familiar with vfs stuff.

C) Have the system set a volume shadow copy point every day, and release the one that's 2-3 days old automatically. This seems very fire & forget which I like. If the shadow volume was the entire system drive I could in theory recover from a trashed OS too.

RAID5 should protect me from hardware failure, now I need to find a good strategy for user failure.

Azerban
Oct 28, 2003

I have a LG L222WT 16:10 1680x1050 widescreen monitor I'm having trouble getting to display properly in Ubuntu. When windows are "fullscreen" in 1680x1050, they run off the side of the monitor in both horizontal directions, while fitting properly vertically. Other resolutions display fine, though distorted since they are not native.

Any ideas?

ZeeBoi
Jan 17, 2001

fatcat posted:

If you're not averse to living on the bleeding edge, you could give Ubuntu 8.04 alpha 5 a try. I'm personally running it right now and it works fine for me.

http://cdimage.ubuntu.com/releases/hardy/alpha-5/
Yeah, was gonna try that next.

Khatib
Nov 12, 2007
I've NEVER worked with Linux before, and this problem has me really confused. Any help would be much appreciated.

Here's the problem:

Brand new RHEL 5 install on a Dell PE2950 server. I have installed all updates. It has 2 NIC cards. Currently we're only using one. When I boot the server, the active NIC card stops working and I can't get on the net through it. If I deactivate it, swap the cable to the other one, and activate that one, it will work. This works with both DHCP and static IP addresses for either card.

What I've noticed is when I go to the Network Config window, and the Hardware tab...

Under Description, both cards have their full hardware label up, and then there is this other entry called bnx2, taking over one of the devices.

So it looks like this:

Description | Type | Device | Status

Broadcom Corporation NetXtreme II... | Ethernet | eth1 | OK
Broadcom Corporation NetXtreme II... | Ethernet | peth0 | OK
bnx2 | Ethernet | eth0 | configured

If I were to deactivate eth0, switch the network cable, and activate eth1, then I will regain net connectivity, but upon reboot, the device type of eth1 will become peth1, with bnx2 taking over eth1, and connectivity is lost again. And of course I'm not configuring anything to do with bnx2, so I don't know where that status description is coming from.

What the heck is going on here? I'm really confused by this.

Grey Area
Sep 9, 2000
Battle Without Honor or Humanity
Khatib: It look like Linux is confused about which of your cards should be eth0 and which should be eth1

Try reading this for solutions: http://linux.dell.com/files/whitepapers/nic-enum-whitepaper-v3.pdf

astounding_zlatan
Apr 27, 2003
---

astounding_zlatan fucked around with this message at 16:21 on Jul 23, 2020

tehk
Mar 10, 2006

[-4] Flaw: Heart Broken - Tehk is extremely lonely. The Gay Empire's ultimate weapon finds it hard to have time for love.

Azerban posted:

I have a LG L222WT 16:10 1680x1050 widescreen monitor I'm having trouble getting to display properly in Ubuntu. When windows are "fullscreen" in 1680x1050, they run off the side of the monitor in both horizontal directions, while fitting properly vertically. Other resolutions display fine, though distorted since they are not native.

Any ideas?

Any chance you can pastebin your "/etc/X11/xorg.conf"?

I want to check your Monitor section. LGs have always had issues with detection on my machines. Let me know your cards model also.

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe
I need some help with regular expression syntax in grep. I need to match a single quote, but I am having trouble escaping the character. When I try "grep 'foo\'' *, I get an error for unmatched '. What is the correct way to do this?

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Try egrep. That's the regex version, I think.

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

Toiletbrush posted:

Try egrep. That's the regex version, I think.

Same result. I have used regular expressions with standard grep many times, but I've never had to match that particular character. This is under HPUX w/ ksh if it makes a difference; no bash available on that server. Fake edit: Which I guess makes this not really a linux question, sorry about that. Close enough for standard tools?

covener
Jan 10, 2004

You know, for kids!

stubblyhead posted:

Same result. I have used regular expressions with standard grep many times, but I've never had to match that particular character. This is under HPUX w/ ksh if it makes a difference; no bash available on that server. Fake edit: Which I guess makes this not really a linux question, sorry about that. Close enough for standard tools?

It's your shell, not grep, that's getting upset. Protect the apostrophe and backslash from the shell.

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

covener posted:

It's your shell, not grep, that's getting upset. Protect the apostrophe and backslash from the shell.

Ok, getting somewhere. Great. I'm a little confused by what you mean though, the backslash isn't going to protect the apostrophe? For instance say I want to match foo', I can't use "grep 'foo\\'' *" to find it?

covener
Jan 10, 2004

You know, for kids!

stubblyhead posted:

Ok, getting somewhere. Great. I'm a little confused by what you mean though, the backslash isn't going to protect the apostrophe? For instance say I want to match foo', I can't use "grep 'foo\\'' *" to find it?

I misread as ending in a double quote; the backslash isn't an escape character inside single quotes, because the single quotes have already zapped all the special meaning of anything inside.

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

covener posted:

I misread as ending in a double quote; the backslash isn't an escape character inside single quotes, because the single quotes have already zapped all the special meaning of anything inside.

I understand, I had to look at it a couple times myself to be sure I hadn't mistyped it. So what if I need to match a single quote in my pattern? Do I need to use something other than ' ' to delimit my regex? If so, what?

fret logic
Mar 8, 2005
roffle
Are there any drivers for the Creative X-Fi sound card? Or any way that I can get some sound in Linux? I'm dual booting with Ubuntu and can't get sound to work, and read that the X-Fi cards are closed source, and that they don't have ALSA support.

covener
Jan 10, 2004

You know, for kids!

stubblyhead posted:

I understand, I had to look at it a couple times myself to be sure I hadn't mistyped it. So what if I need to match a single quote in my pattern? Do I need to use something other than ' ' to delimit my regex? If so, what?

double-quotes if it has spaces ($IFS), otherwise nothing. Outter quotes just tell the shell what goes in the positional arguments for the program you're telling it to run.

Vanadium
Jan 8, 2005

If you want to escape a single quote in a single quote escaped string, just close the quotes, put a backslash-escaped single quote and reopen it.

grep 'foo="bar'\''s baz"'

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe
Ah, thank you both for the advice. Not enclosing my regex and breaking it up both worked fine. I somehow had the notion that not enclosing the pattern in quotes treated it as plain text and that in order to use regular expressions you had to use the quotes. Thanks for setting me straight.

ZeeBoi
Jan 17, 2001

usualhandle posted:

I just fixed three sound issues, only one of which was mine, swing by #shsc later on today (14:00 - 15:00) for a hand.

Since it worked before, there's a good chance it's a driver conflict or some retarded poo poo like that. My old laptop wouldn't load the right sound modules unless I blacklisted the modem driver.
poo poo, I didn't see this until now.

Yeah, I figure the modem driver was an issue. I don't have Ubuntu running any more, it's openSUSE now. But I'll give Ubuntu a try again.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

I had some problems with uninstalling Ubuntu last week, so I ended up reinstalling it. Now that I have Gentoo up and running (a bad stick of RAM was causing seg faults in pretty much every compile that took longer than two minutes) I want to again get rid of Ubuntu. Problem is, Ubuntu overwrote the MBR, which wouldn't be a problem since I want to have the option to boot into Windows or Gentoo, but I don't know how to change it so GRUB will look in the Gentoo partition for the configuration file. I don't want to spend another couple hours messing with the bootloader. It works now, I just want to move the configuration to another partition. Can anyone help me with this?

Grey Area
Sep 9, 2000
Battle Without Honor or Humanity

MeramJert posted:

I had some problems with uninstalling Ubuntu last week, so I ended up reinstalling it. Now that I have Gentoo up and running (a bad stick of RAM was causing seg faults in pretty much every compile that took longer than two minutes) I want to again get rid of Ubuntu. Problem is, Ubuntu overwrote the MBR, which wouldn't be a problem since I want to have the option to boot into Windows or Gentoo, but I don't know how to change it so GRUB will look in the Gentoo partition for the configuration file. I don't want to spend another couple hours messing with the bootloader. It works now, I just want to move the configuration to another partition. Can anyone help me with this?
If /boot is your original Gentoo /boot directory, just run "setup (hd0)" from the grub prompt.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

Well, my Gentoo installation is on /dev/hdb, but right now grub is running on /dev/hda, and I want to keep it that way. Is this potentially a problem? (I'm sure this is a very simple problem. I'm just very new to linux)

usualhandle
Dec 29, 2007

ZeeBoi posted:

I don't have Ubuntu running any more, it's openSUSE now. But I'll give Ubuntu a try again.
Don't do it unless there's something to gain. If you do decide to try something weird again though, you are more than welcome to solicit IRC help from me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZeeBoi
Jan 17, 2001

usualhandle posted:

Don't do it unless there's something to gain. If you do decide to try something weird again though, you are more than welcome to solicit IRC help from me.
Well, I'd like to play around in linux and get to know it some more.

Help would definitely be appreciated! :)