Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

Schwarzwald posted:

I finally made myself some time and watched the first episode.

Are all 100+ episodes as good as the first one?

As good? Nope.
Better? Yes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Robot Bastard
Jul 14, 2004

by Ozma

Schwarzwald posted:

Just about. LOGH: Teen Romance Edition was a bit silly, though.

edit: :sigh: I wish Alba Creates would re-pop some of their LOGH stuff...I have money now, but HLJ is sold out of everything! My dreams of recreating the Black Lancers in resin will never come true...

Robot Bastard fucked around with this message at 04:56 on Nov 28, 2007

Ever Disappointing
May 4, 2004

Schwarzwald posted:

Hah, if you liked the first one so much, wait until later.

Funny Bunny
Aug 7, 2005
I'm planning on starting watching Legend of the Galactic Heroes in my upcoming Christmas break, but I don't think I will be able to fit all 110 episodes in that time period. I tried to find out what may be good stopping points as I do not want to be left hanging in the middle of an engrossing storyline, but all I could find was the following on Wikipedia, stating that: The anime is made of 110 25-minute episodes (divided into 4 sections).

The AnimeNewsNetwork.com Encyclopedia entry seems to confirm this based on the vintage dates given, which are split up in four sections. However, I have no idea which episode ends what section and I was wondering if perhaps someone could tell me in what way the show exactly is divided into these four parts.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Yeah, there are basically four seasons with about 25-26 episodes each. You'll see the OP change from time to time.

But I'll tell you right now, if you're watching the series in bunches, your will power to stop at any of this points is going to have to be pretty strong :)

patricius
Apr 17, 2006

sicut patribus sit deus nobis
The end of each season feels like a fairly natural break point, too. You may still want to keep watching, but they usually feel like the end of an act to a play rather than your typical annoying end-of-season cliffhanger. (Code Geass, I'm looking at you.) So, I think you could safely break at the end of any season without feeling like you were completely left hanging.

Funny Bunny
Aug 7, 2005
Well, this certainly sounds promising. I'm really looking forward to watching the show after my exams have passed; somehow it didn't seem like a good idea to already start watching the show while I still have to study and it seems like I was right. Thanks for the information!

Lizking
Mar 10, 2007

Don't worry, we'll englighten them...
I have half the series downloaded, and the other half downloading right now. I'm planning on watching it between finishing my last final (Wednesday afternoon) and Christmas Eve.

It's been a long time since I've watched anything of epic proportions as a block. I wonder if I'll be able to pull it off.

CuLT
Sep 9, 2005

I'm enjoying Gaiden, I think I'm just a total sucker for LoGH, they could just keep putting out backstories and prequels and I'd never get tired of it.

Mac109
May 23, 2007

CuLT posted:

I'm enjoying Gaiden, I think I'm just a total sucker for LoGH, they could just keep putting out backstories and prequels and I'd never get tired of it.

ya I pretty much agree completely with this, show could drone on forever and Id be content.

CuLT
Sep 9, 2005

Hey, I found that there have been a couple of attempts to translate the LoGH novels in the past, both of which have been dead in the water for some time. I don't think these have been posted before, but I've avoided reading much of this thread due to spoilers since I started watching way back.

The most recent can be found here, the "Download" section has the first seven chapters of the novel translated into very readable english, with some forgivable mistakes.

When you open these, you'll be asked to supply a password or click "Read Only", which you should do seeing as you don't have the password :). Also, for me the document defaulted to show all drafts of the translation, which looked absolutely horrible, so make sure you have "Final" selected under "Review".

Another translation project which is now only available through web.archive.org can be accessed here, and has the first novel fully translated as well as the first five chapters of the second novel. Quite a significant body of work. The fact that there's ten books probably means it will never recieve a full fan translation, which is a shame, because both translations read very well.

Anyway, thought this might help satiate the desire for more LoGH, I know I can't get enough :)

I've also spent a few hours over the last week writing up an opening post for a new LoGH thread. This spawned from an idea for a thread-based LoGH game I was mulling over; there's a lot of episodes of LoGH, and a lot of dialogue, so I thought it might be entertaining to take screenshots from the show and create a new storyline. Nothing serious now, just people posting one image in response to the previous like:

Post: [Picture of Iserlohn Fortress] (to establish a setting)
Reply: [Yang Wenli saying something]
Reply: [Julian saying something]

etc, with "cards" to be played like "Meanwhile at...", "Three weeks before" or stuff to change a storyline that's stagnating like "IMPERIAL PLOT", "PHEZZANI CONSPIRACY", "TERRAIST SUICIDE BOMBING", "OUTBREAK OF BATTLE".

Might be fun, might be terrible, I don't know, but I figured I needed to write up an intro to LoGH as a part of it. If this sounds like a good idea or a terrible idea let me know.

Funny Bunny
Aug 7, 2005
I've finally started watching this series last week and watched the first twenty episodes in about three days, but now my concern is this very speed at which I'm watching the show. On the one hand, the stories and the characters are so interesting that I want to watch as much episodes as quickly as possible. On the other hand though, given the length of the show and my increasingly decreasing amount of free time, I can not imagine that I will ever be watching this again. As such, I want to savour the episodes I watch by not viewing too many of them in too short a time. Quite the dilemma.

Also, I posted earlier on this page asking for the exact distribution of the four seasons. As Nate suggested, this can easily be found out by taking a look at the changing intros. I thought it may be good to post the exact episodes at which seasons start for other future viewers though and it may be nice to include these in the OP:

Season 1: Episode 001 - 026
Season 2: Episode 027 - 054
Season 3: Episode 055 - 086
Season 4: Episode 087 - 110

Funny Bunny
Aug 7, 2005
I don't like to double post, but as a new episode has been released yesterday and no one has posted it yet, I suppose I will:

Gaiden 3 - 01
Gaiden 3 - 01 h264

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
Oh thank god, it seems like forever since a Gaiden episode!

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

Funny Bunny posted:

I don't like to double post, but as a new episode has been released yesterday and no one has posted it yet, I suppose I will:

Gaiden 3 - 01
Gaiden 3 - 01 h264
I think I'm gonna just wait until all four are out so I don't die from suspense.

Funny Bunny
Aug 7, 2005
Then here atleast you already have the second episode of this arc:

Gaiden 3 - 02
Gaiden 3 - 02 h264

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

An interesting little game was just released yesterday - Sins of a Solar Empire. A real-time space strategy game with empire management elements, and a really impressive sense of scale.

While it's not really reasonable for standard play, someone created a fleet of over 20,000 ships in-game.

Remind anyone of anything?

So, I'm planning on recreating the LOGH starmap using the in-game editor. Fighting over the Iserlohn Corridor (which one player would be wise to build a fortress/big gun in as a fortification) sounds like fun to me.

Now, I just need a rough starmap of the LOGH universe, and a bunch of planet names. They don't have to be all in perfect order, but it'd help if Odin, Heinessen and Phezzan are in the right place. I remember seeing a couple of such maps in the series, but forget when and in which episodes they were.

Also, a list of the classical pieces used throughout the soundtrack would be nice too, as that'd be the perfect accompaniment for the game.

Eronarn
May 15, 2004

by Y Kant Ozma Post
http://www.logh.net/minglogh/LGHmap2.jpg and http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:LoGHstarmap.PNG are the only maps I can find :( There are definitely better maps within the series but nobody seems to have uploaded them.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Eronarn posted:

http://www.logh.net/minglogh/LGHmap2.jpg and http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:LoGHstarmap.PNG are the only maps I can find :( There are definitely better maps within the series but nobody seems to have uploaded them.

Someone posted a map with a lot of system-names in the Sins thread itself. That, combined with the second map you gave there will help a lot.

Just figuring out how I'll represent Phezzan in the map. Perhaps as a heavily fortified pirate world - in Sins, you can bribe pirates to attack certain targets, so that would not only let Phezzan get involved, but also keep players fighting over Iserlohn until late-game, when theres sufficient military power to walk over Phezzan.

Funny Bunny
Aug 7, 2005
And finally the next episode:

Gaiden 3 - 03
Gaiden 3 - 03 h264

Funny Bunny
Aug 7, 2005
Shortly followed by the final episode in this particular storyline:

Gaiden 3 - 04
Gaiden 3 - 04 h264

e: A look at AnimeNewsNetwork's page with the episode titles of this first Gaiden OVA shows that the next story arc will be twelve episodes long. After that, the story arcs of the second Gaiden OVA of twenty eight episodes are distributed as found on this page.

Funny Bunny fucked around with this message at 20:05 on Feb 9, 2008

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
That was a pretty cool set-of-four episodes, Sieg gets to play detective! :)

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer

aparmenideanmonad posted:

Yeah, there are mini storylines and CA will be numbering episodes within storylines.

Before we were on the 4-chapter "Silver-White Valley" arc, now we're on chapter 1 of the "Dreams of the Morning, Songs of the Night" arc. 2.1 comes consecutively after 1.4.

Is there a list anywhere of the individual arcs for the gaidens? All I've been able to find online just has the two block 'seasons' but not the arc names like CA is numbering by. I'd like to have them in the file names when I burn the eps if possible. Yes I'm way too anal about this :(

Just watched 110 this afternoon, I'm going to be thinking about this series for a while to come. Pure awesome.

edit: \/\/\/ Well poo poo, I could have sworn ANN didn't have them broken out like that :/ Do the episodes not have individual titles then?

I Feel Every Flower That is Screaming to Consume You

Takes No Damage fucked around with this message at 23:04 on Feb 29, 2008

Funny Bunny
Aug 7, 2005

sephiroth669 posted:

Is there a list anywhere of the individual arcs for the gaidens? All I've been able to find online just has the two block 'seasons' but not the arc names like CA is numbering by. I'd like to have them in the file names when I burn the eps if possible. Yes I'm way too anal about this :(

There were links to such lists in my previous post, but here they are again. This is the page with the episode titles for the first Gaiden OVA and this is the page for the second Gaiden OVA.

cgeq
Jun 5, 2004

Chris Knight posted:

That was a pretty cool set-of-four episodes, Sieg gets to play detective! :)

It's really nice we get to see how great of a character Kircheis is. He was taken away so soon, relatively, in the main series. It makes it all the more bittersweet, though, but I think they seem to be making good use out of the assumption that viewers of the gaiden's have seen the main series and know the sad fate that awaits.

abbad0n
Jan 25, 2005
Gaiden 4 Episode 1 is out: xvid h264

Edit:

Gaiden 4 Episode 2 also: xvid h264

abbad0n fucked around with this message at 17:56 on Mar 27, 2008

Ever Disappointing
May 4, 2004

Whoo, finally!

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
Yay!

Mac109
May 23, 2007
oh awesome, ep 4-2 as well, thanks

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Balls to you and your way of mortal opinions - you don't exist anyway!
Fun Shoe

abbad0n posted:

Gaiden 4 Episode 1 is out: xvid h264

Edit:

Gaiden 4 Episode 2 also: xvid h264

Yang and Bucock sightings + Schenkopp sings :swoon: = this arc can only end in awesome.

moflika
Jun 8, 2004

What initiation?

Well, for starters, you have to purify yourself in the waters of Lake Minnetonka...
Grimey Drawer
Aaaand we have another old-school show to add to the good ol' "to watch" list. Every time I come over to this section of the forums I find a good 50+ episodes of stuff to watch :/

I'm surprised that this hasn't been released on DVD yet. After seeing how well the Macross box was handled I could see this show getting put out for around 200.

Moonbase
Oct 3, 2007
I'm taking the plunge. Using up a fifth of my month download limit seems rather daunting but I heard that if I liked The Twelve Kingdoms, I'd like this. 110 episodes, ho!

patricius
Apr 17, 2006

sicut patribus sit deus nobis

moflika posted:

Aaaand we have another old-school show to add to the good ol' "to watch" list. Every time I come over to this section of the forums I find a good 50+ episodes of stuff to watch :/

I'm surprised that this hasn't been released on DVD yet. After seeing how well the Macross box was handled I could see this show getting put out for around 200.

I'd love it on DVD, but I understand why it's not... it'd be a large expense for something that would have a niche audience even within the anime market. The main series alone is three times as long as Macross and it's overwhelmingly dialogue-driven. That's a lot of script to translate, using time they could spend on a more profitable title. If they wanted to dub it, that's a huge expense and effort in finding and paying the cast, too, though I think they could probably get away fine without dubbing it (I think that'd actually be preferable for LoGH, as the original Japanese voices are so good I don't think I could ever watch it any other way.)

Every so often the possibility seems to come up, with a company sending out feelers to see how much people would be willing to pay for it if they brought it over, but it always disappears. Probably just not enough interest. As technology improves and animation quality continues to get better, I suspect the chance of seeing a domestic release will be less and less... let's face it, LoGH wasn't the prettiest show even in its time. Content-wise, it's also a complicated, slow-moving, philosophical show, which really isn't what the majority of American anime fans are interested in. It's too bad, really. :(

enigma74
Aug 5, 2005
a lean lobster who probably doesn't even taste good.
I'm curious, are these the last two episodes of logh gaiden?

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Fun Shoe
No, these would be 13 and 14 on the list of Gaiden OVA1 that Funny Bunny has posted twice now. There's 10 more eps in this arc and 28 more in the 2nd OVA.

Funny Bunny posted:

This is the page with the episode titles for the first Gaiden OVA and this is the page for the second Gaiden OVA.

Funny Bunny
Aug 7, 2005
Time for the third episode of this storyline:

Gaiden 4 - 03
Gaiden 4 - 03 h264

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
Loved the appearance of Yang in there.

wielder
Feb 16, 2008

"You had best not do that, Avatar!"
Finished this a couple of months ago, after taking a ridiculously long time to see even a single episode after first hearing about it. Excellent series, definitely going into my personal favorites.

LOGH's one of the few which dares to dedicate the majority of its screen time to political / military / moral discussion without being boring (admitting that I felt somewhat sleepy during what was essentially a recap) *and* doesn't succumb to the temptation of keeping every single important characters alive (no matter how unlikely that would be...this is war, not child's play) for the sake of a "happy" ending (and I thought the actual finale was rather uplifting, all things considered). I could go on, but don't want to rant much.

Still, I really need to catch up with the Gaiden episodes and fully come to terms with the fact that "the fate of 95% of these people has already been shown", which kind of distracts me slightly...

abbad0n
Jan 25, 2005
Gaiden 4 Episode 4 - xvid | h264

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Fun Shoe
:quagmire: Oh Schenkopp :quagmire:

That was really pretty racy for LOGH. We've had lots of implied love scenes and even ones that resulted in pregnancies, but not even Dominique, Rubinsky's mistress who was always walking around in whore outfits ever got a nip-slip scene in. I don't think Elfriede did either even with all the screentime she got in Reuental's bed.

So after that slow-mo scene I'm thinking this latest fling is going to die and we're going to get some stoic Schenkopp justification of his love'em and leave'em attitude. Maybe even some background with a specific instance that sparked this behavior. Also, Blumhart is "saving" himself? Riiiight. This is the far-future military and you still can't be :gay: ?

I'm really loving the attention that some of the other characters are getting. I'm guessing Bucock is going to have his time in the spotlight as well.