Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

uggy
Aug 6, 2006

Posting is SERIOUS BUSINESS
and I am completely joyless

Don't make me judge you
I just finished Stumbling on Happiness by Daniel Gilbert, some psychology professor at Harvard. The book is about our views on happiness and the psychology that surrounds it. In reality, he focuses a lot more on predicting our happiness or predicting the future. That's the main topic he talks about, and while it relates to happiness, the book is not just about what makes us happy and how the brain works.

It was fairly good, but I didn't like it as much as some other books I've read that are similar in topic. I really enjoyed Blink and Tipping Point by Malcolm Gladwell, and he wrote a glowing review of this book, but I found them to be much better than Stumbling on Happiness.

He seems to very caught up in himself and thinks he is funny, which detracted me from the book a tad bit. In the Gladwell books, he uses real world examples to explain everything, but Gilbert did not do this as much as I would have liked. He talks and talks and talks but there is no direction in his words. It's similar to a person extending a paper by writing and rewriting the same sentence over and over again for the sake of adding length. I feel the book could have been 100 pages smaller, and it was only 250 pages. This made it annoying to constantly reread the exact same sentence or read about the exact same theme.

It was good and was certainly and interesting read that relates well to the psychology class I'm taking. If the subject interests you at all, check it out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

inktvis
Dec 11, 2005

What is ridiculous about human beings, Doctor, is actually their total incapacity to be ridiculous.
Finally ploughed through Proust's The Prisoner and The Fugitive, which took longer than it should have thanks to shifting house and general busyness, only to be scolded for bothering by Pierre Bayard's How to Talk About Books You Haven't Read.

The general landscape of In Search of Lost Time is pretty much entirely changed by end of The Fugitive, to the point where, given his usual pace, I can only assume Time Regained consists entirely of Marcel blowing a raspberry, shrugging his shoulders and giving in. Not much else needs be said since if anyone has much of an interest the book, they're probably already intending to finish the whole cycle for themselves.

I picked up the much-hyped Bayard to whip a good therapeutic rage, but it turns out, however hard he tries to play the devil's advocate, his literary theory extolling the virtues of non-reading far and above those of reading, for however eloquent he made it, just wasn't entirely credible from a guy that furnished it with so many perfect examples from minor books. Rather than rage, I actually found it really entertaining, because of (and at the same time despite) its heavily ironic pseudo-crank delivery.

Plus I got a kick out of the guy at the bookshop being tactful enough to turn it face down and discreetly slip it into a bag when I bought it.

Romanshoes
Dec 15, 2007

Haha! They're Roman shoes! Aren't I witty?
Motherfucking Sword Song by Bernard Cornwell.

It's the fourth in the Saxon Tales series and continues the story of Uhtred, the evil-yet-awesome English warlord raised by the invading Danes. There's an awesome insult on every page, there's much talk of ale and whoring, there are rivers of blood, there are about a million hilariously insane characters, and Uhtred still manages to go all :3: -y over his kids and hot wife.

Oh, and Mutants by Armand Leroi. A very interesting analysis of the genetic diversity of humans, with some interesting case studies and a lot of medieval woodcuts.

futurestate
Nov 6, 2006

QVT posted:

I know I've brought it up in this thread before but as long as you're not opposed to comic books, Preacher really is the answer to the modern western that doesn't feature gay people question.

Preacher kicked rear end. If you like that series, you might like Hellblazer.

Incidentally, a Gunslinger comic came out not too long ago, not sure if it's a retelling or a new tangent though.

Ogmios
Dec 2, 2004

Angry pumpkin, Japanese demon, dragon of avarice...

reactor9 posted:

Preacher kicked rear end. If you like that series, you might like Hellblazer.

Incidentally, a Gunslinger comic came out not too long ago, not sure if it's a retelling or a new tangent though.

The Dark Tower comic is a retelling of what happened in Book 4 (Susan Delgado and such). I've heard there is a new comic coming out soon that will have a new story.

I just finished The Moon is a Harsh Mistress by Robert Heinlein. I really enjoyed it. It is about a group of former prisoners on the Moon that are basically forced to send all of the wheat they grow up there back to Earth for very low prices. They decide to revolt, oh and a super computer that has become self aware decides to help them. Pretty interesting stuff. I especially like the pro-economic freedom and TANSTAAFL!

Killfast37
May 7, 2007

QVT posted:

It's... it's not the same. Gunslinger may be tinted positive for me because of the crap that came after but the crap that came after was really bad. You wont notice it during those first 4 books, but when you get to 5 :(

I know I've brought it up in this thread before but as long as you're not opposed to comic books, Preacher really is the answer to the modern western that doesn't feature gay people question.
Almost everyone I've talked to says the series ruins itself after the fourth book. My friend read 1-5 in a few weeks and he quit after 5. Is it really that awful? Should I just forget about the series and move on, or does the second and third novel make up for the lovely end novels? Preacher looks amazing, thanks for that recommendation. I'm not a big fan of comic books but it looks like a lot of fun and I'm willing to check it out.

On another note, I just finished The Serial Killers Club by Jeff Povey. The first few chapters were great and the story moved at a lightning fast pace. Some of the characters are really unique and fun while others just turned me off completely (who belches and farts before everything they say?). Despite a few obvious flaws, I enjoyed the general light tone of the book, making it an easy read. There is a little repetition in the middle but I think the ending made up for what was lacking. Overall it wasn't a bad book but just above average. If anyone liked Darkly Dreaming Dexter by Jeff Lindsay, you might enjoy this.

QVT
Jul 22, 2007

standing at the punch table swallowing punch

Killfast37 posted:

Almost everyone I've talked to says the series ruins itself after the fourth book. My friend read 1-5 in a few weeks and he quit after 5. Is it really that awful? Should I just forget about the series and move on, or does the second and third novel make up for the lovely end novels? Preacher looks amazing, thanks for that recommendation. I'm not a big fan of comic books but it looks like a lot of fun and I'm willing to check it out.

It may be trite but you can always just make up your own ending after four. It'll be better than King managed. Those last books aren't bad, they're just much more typical Stephen King fare and not nearly as good as Gunslinger. I mean, they're not unlikeable but drat 5 and 6 especially are bad. And the ending, whether you like it or not, is presented in such an unlikeable and :wtc: way that it's almost not worth it. I actually kinda like the fourth novel because it's a pretty awesome look at how Roland got the way he is, but I know a lot of people aren't interested in the history of the characters like I tend to be. You will enjoy Preacher, you can get the first volume of it for only 10 bucks on amazon, and that'll give you an idea.

graffin
Sep 28, 2002
I just finished the Farseer Trilogy by Robin Hobb. Great stuff all around. Good well developed characters. The story was interesting and deep. Hobb is one of those fantasy authors that proves you can have a great story without some hero hacking away at the bad guys.

Total Party Kill
Aug 25, 2005

Gun, Germs & Steel Jared Diamond

What an interesting book! It really provided an insight into the world humanity created and why it is the way it is. I've heard detractors of the book cite valid criticisms of the book before so I was very aware of what I was reading while doing so.

My only complaint is that it was so long winded and repetitive. I can only read about farming and crop domestication for so long and only so many times. Regardless how interesting the theories and ideas were the first time, I don't need to be continually reminded.

This book however is great for learning about the spread of technology and varying abilities of societies to advance in their environment.

Wyzt
Mar 22, 2007

At the Heart of the Swarm
I just finished reading Devil in the White City by Erik Larson for a history class...and I was not expecting it to be so good. It centers around two characters around the time of the World's Fair in Chicago. The author did tons of research, so its, as wiki puts it, a non-fiction book presented in a fictional style. The two characters are Burnham, the architect in charge of building the World's Fair, and H H Holmes, a serial killer who killed a bunch of people before, and during the fair.

It was especially cool because it gives a historical look at the city I live in, and how certain parts developed, and how Burnham and his partner Root really shaped the city.

Encryptic
May 3, 2007

Finished Grimwood's 9Tail Fox earlier today - interesting detective thriller that puts the protagonist in the position of solving his own murder (after being brought back to life in the body of another person). It's pretty typical Grimwood style - plenty of action, intrigue and smart writing.

Thanks to -S- in the "Overlooked/Underrated Books" thread - I'm currently into Michael Cisco's The San Veneficio Canon, which is excellent so far.

SilkyP
Jul 21, 2004

The Boo-Box

Just finished my second read-through of The Stranger by Camus. I thought Camus did an awesome job in the book of allowing not only the content, but the prose as well to speak about the character of Mersault. The words just seemed to perfectly match the character and I enjoyed reading it again. I guess when I first read it(in high school), the theme of existentialism must have been brand new to me because after finishing it this time, I just wasn't as blow away with the whole thing. Not bad though. I'm gonna start on A Happy Death next, so hopefully that'll be a better read.

ScatCat
Feb 6, 2007
I read The Stranger, by Camus as required reading for an English class last year. It was assigned so we could talk about existentialism, but I just finished Grendel, by Gardner, and I think it's a far better primer. The trouble is, Grendel is all over the map, and there are at least a dozen different philosophies in it. Still, I felt it was written better and significantly more entertaining. It had me laughing out loud in a lot of parts, particularly his thoughts on Beowulf.

Lawen
Aug 7, 2000

After years of not really liking Sci-Fi, I've been on a kick lately. I recently read and enjoyed Heinlein's Stranger in a Strange Land and just the other day finished Niven's Lucifer's Hammer. Lucifer's Hammer took too long to get to the good stuff and every black character (except Rick the Astronaut) was a ridiculous stereotype that bordered on offensive, but overall it was a pretty enjoyable end of the world story.

Next up is Richard K. Morgan's Altered Carbon.

pill for your ills
Mar 23, 2006

ghost rock.
Finished House of Leaves tonight, at least the actual body of it. Might linger in the appendices until Friday, so I can say I finished it on Leap Year Day. Seems appropriate, don't you think?

Interesting to think that a book about a movie could be unfilmable, but there you have it.

clarion ravenwood
Aug 5, 2005

I'm on an Orwell bender - I've just finished 'Down and Out in Paris and London' which was fantastic. It's pretty much what it sounds like, with some devastating musing on wealth and value of wealth.

Just now half way through 'Coming Up for Air'. I really recommend not just reading '1984' Orwell's a genius.

33rd Degree Idiot
Sep 17, 2007

Scion of an ancestral procession of idiots stretching back to the Missing Link
I just finished Pillars of the Earth by Ken Follett.

It was a great read. Excusing historical accuracy (which this fails at), it is a really well written epic tale spanning decades, centered around the destruction and subsequent rebuilding of a cathedral in 12th century England. Sure some of the dialogue and ideas are a bit wonky and "too-modern", but the plot was top-notch.

I am sure most of you have already read it however, as it's a pretty popular book and I am not telling anyone anything new here. It was the first book I have read in quite a while that I really had trouble putting down.

Next up: Some Cormac McCarthy stuff. I can't decide between The Road or No Country For Old Men. They are both pretty short though, so I guess it doesn't make a huge difference.

33rd Degree Idiot fucked around with this message at 05:02 on Feb 28, 2008

Alberta Cross
Sep 15, 2006
Fortis Et Liber
I had spring break last week, so I whipped out the Bradbury and read Farenheit 451 and The Martian Chronicles. I love Brabury, those were both excellent books that I haven't read since my high school days.

Coco Rodreguiz
Jan 12, 2007

Peckerhead isn't used enough as an insult if you ask me.
I just read through Cormac McCarthy's The Road like almost everybody else here has. I really enjoyed it and found the way he is able to paint a picture in your mind is perfect. I really, really want to see the movie they're gonna make out of this. I'll admit I didn't connect to the characters too much, but from what I've read on the forums, if I ever have a little diaper-shitter of my own the book becomes much better.

I picked up Stephen King and Peter Straub's Black House and I'm about 80 pages into it. If it doesn't pick up soon I'm gonna drop it and read McCarthy's Child of God instead.

DuhSal
Aug 16, 2004

I will, brother. I promise.

Pillbug
On The Road Keuroac... pretty good I guess. Kinda dull in a way, I mean I understand the impact and the appeal but.. eeh. Didn't do much for me really, though not a bad read in any way. I guess it felt akin to listening to someone ramble about their trip.. but for like 4 hrs straight (and the jazz flowing narrative didn't help this... thou that's probably the point).

I appreciate it for what it is and accomplishes, just didn't really hold my attention. It did make me kinda want to hitchhike/bum my way to a far city though,

The Alchemist I adored this lovely fable. Probably 'cause I'm in the midst of finding out where I'm about to take my life and direction, so it was relevant as I read it. I enjoyed it. Simple, charming and fairly inspiring.

The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time Now this was a fun read.. and really touching and moving. Your narrator is a special needs kid who's out to solve the murder of a dog but it becomes so much more in terms of emotion. A really honest, stark look at the struggles of dealing with a child of this nature. You really feel for the narrator.

talktapes
Apr 14, 2007

You ever hear of the neutron bomb?

Just finished No Country for Old Men by McCarthy. Saw the movie recently and thought it was great so I figured I'd read the book, which also was great. Not much to say about it that hasn't already been said, think he had his own thread recently. The narrative structure seemed to make more sense to me in the context of the book, probably because of the bigger focus on Sheriff Bell. Also the scenes with Moss and the hitchhiking girl were really great and I was kind of surprised they got cut out of the movie.

I've got a big stack of books in front of me, but I want to get The Road eventually. Probably gonna work on this collection of J.G. Ballard stories next. I read a couple out of them the other night. One was good ("The Concentration City," I think Dark City borrowed a lot from it), the other one not as much. The ideas in them seem interesting enough.

Xzoto
Nov 26, 2007

by angerbotSD

Roybot posted:

Just finished No Country for Old Men by McCarthy. Saw the movie recently and thought it was great so I figured I'd read the book, which also was great. Not much to say about it that hasn't already been said, think he had his own thread recently. The narrative structure seemed to make more sense to me in the context of the book, probably because of the bigger focus on Sheriff Bell. Also the scenes with Moss and the hitchhiking girl were really great and I was kind of surprised they got cut out of the movie.

I've got a big stack of books in front of me, but I want to get The Road eventually. Probably gonna work on this collection of J.G. Ballard stories next. I read a couple out of them the other night. One was good ("The Concentration City," I think Dark City borrowed a lot from it), the other one not as much. The ideas in them seem interesting enough.

I actually just finished The Road tonight. I loved it. It's very gripping and hard to put down. I really loved it though.

Steely McBeam
Jun 25, 2006

by mons all madden
Just finished Notes from Underground after my third attempt in a year. The first section is just so dry that if you don't plow directly through it in one sitting, odds are good you might not be interested enough to pick it up again after you put it down. It was interesting trying to connect the narrator's thoughts in the first section to his actions in the second, and the scene where the prostitute shows the narrator her love letter might have been one of the most powerful I've ever read.

The way the narrator continually acts against his own self-interest supposedly to realize his own humanity is kind of depressing though, considering the extension of that seems to be that the only way to experience humanity is to be miserable.

Total Party Kill
Aug 25, 2005

Rant Chuck Palahniuk

I thought it was awesome! I was cautious going in because I'd read a few bad reviews in this thread but found myself disagreeing with them. This story is one of Chuck's most complex that I've read yet. I loved the science fiction style Chuck put into this. When I read Haunted and read one of the stories that involved Venus, I knew I wanted to read more of Chuck's science fiction.

I did have to skip a couple of dry parts like the chapter on liminal space or some long rants by Green Taylor Simms, but other than this I was hooked. I really liked the fact that I couldn't guess the ending or main plot points until they were actually given. I had several theories all of which turned out to only be half true.

Now I'm reading The Audacity of Hope by Barack Obama.

snevets
Oct 11, 2007
Hey, it's coming out hot!
I recently finished The Restaurant at the End of the Universe by none other than Douglas Adams.

A great book. Everything started very slowly in the same sort of fashion but then gradually escalated until the point that you couldn't put it down within the last 50 pages. Overall, an even more outrageous comedy than the first in the series.

I'm currently halfway though Life, the Universe, and Everything and I noticed that this one seems to struggle to be funny at times. It seems like Adams was trying to put a funny spin on a rather grim (that is grim for Adams which is not grim by any means of the word) with just a nonsensical statement.

If someone has read the rest of the series, how would you rate the individual books as they go on? Because if Adams pulled a Stephen King ala Dark Tower (sorry, I was just reading that thread) on me here I don't know if I want to see this bitter demise.

Don Oot
Oct 28, 2005

by Fragmaster
The Wind Up Bird Chronicles by Haruki Murakami. This one was comparable to Kafka on the Shore, but I thought that Kafka was better at tying things together. I'm still trying to piece everything together, but it was just as engaging as every other Murakami book that I've read.

Encryptic
May 3, 2007

Michael Cisco's The San Veneficio Canon - great read with some fantastic loving prose and imagery - though I'm definitely going to have to re-read it to fully grasp everything that was going on it. If you're into Jeff VanderMeer, M. John Harrison, etc. - this would likely be something you'd dig.

Started The Long Firm by Jake Arnott yesterday - interesting British crime novel set in 1960s London that's pretty good so far.

DuhSal
Aug 16, 2004

I will, brother. I promise.

Pillbug

snevets posted:

If someone has read the rest of the series, how would you rate the individual books as they go on? Because if Adams pulled a Stephen King ala Dark Tower (sorry, I was just reading that thread) on me here I don't know if I want to see this bitter demise.

I haven't re-read this series in a while but I remember So long, and thanks for all the fish being kinda boring.. it's mainly a love story, though there are some funny bits (as usual). The last book, Mostly harmless, I think redeems it with a fitting ending to the series. Though you can literally feel Douglas getting more annoyoed and bitter as the novels go on (he didn't want it to go past three books, if I remember correctly).

Again thou it's been so long since I've read them, my memory might be a bit hazy.

I do think they're worth reading anyway.
It's not like they're tough books to get through...

snevets
Oct 11, 2007
Hey, it's coming out hot!

quote:

It's not like they're tough books to get through...

Yeah... that's a good point. I just wouldn't want to finish the series if it goes down hill. That way it's easier to remember it as good than good but bad at the end, see what I'm saying? I had the same problem with 1984 where the last 30 pages or so entirely killed the novel for me.

I'm going to press on with the rest though. Thank you for your suggestion.

press for porn
Jan 6, 2008

by Pipski
I just finished Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas. It is now probably my favorite book ever.

I got the movie and turned it off after about 5 minutes. I'm sure it's good, but it just doesn't fit with how I saw the book in my mind.

Encryptic
May 3, 2007

Finished The Long Firm - very enjoyable read. It's set in the 1960s London underworld and is split into 5 separate stories, each involving a different character (a freelance enforcer, a struggling actress, etc.) who get involved with the central character Harry Starks (a notorious London underworld figure). Arnott's been compared to James Ellroy and I did get a bit of that feeling while reading The Long Firm - they both have that same gritty realism.

I liked this one enough that I picked up Arnott's two other books (He Kills Coppers and Truecrime) to give them a try as well (just starting He Kills Coppers now).

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

Some short Hemingways:

The Snows of Kilimanjaro -- zzzzzzzz. God drat it was dull.

The Short, Happy Life of Francis Macomber. Great, great story. Some interesting characters and a good read.

Old Man and the Sea. Everybody kept telling me how dull it was and an agonizing read, but I found it completely captivating. Especially loved how the old man related to the fish, not as some inferior being/object, but as a brother in nature. Beautiful writing.

Now working on an Amitav Ghosh novel that's damned good so far.

B.B. Rodriguez
Aug 8, 2005

Bender: "I was God once." God: "Yes, I saw. You were doing well until everyone died."

A Study In Scarlet- First Sherlock Holmes novel. Good, but I felt it was weak on actual Sherlock Holmes. It felt like Doyle wanted to write Western and not a detective novel.

Soloman Kane- First of lots of badass Robert E. Howard serials. For some reason I really love reading about 'savages' and 'unknown horrors'.

The Thing on the Doorstep This story actually creeped me out and kept me awake. I don't normally go into Lovecraft, but this was really good.

Tom Sawyer, Detective I saw this in an eBook library and coulnd't help but read it. It was great and a perfect satire of A Study in Scarlet and other detective novels.

Currently working on The Insidious Dr. Fu-Manchu.

LooseChanj
Feb 17, 2006

Logicaaaaaaaaal!
Player Piano, Kurt Vonnegut

Vonnegut's dystopian novel of a world so automated the only people with jobs are the Ph.D's.

It's not the usual Vonnegut. This is his first novel, and the tone is distinctly unlike him, as if he still gave a rat's rear end about literary conventions.

GAYS FOR DAYS
Dec 22, 2005

by exmarx
Ham on Rye, Charles Bukowski - Good, but awfully depressing. It gave me a better understand of his motivations in his other novels.

Wobegon
Jan 13, 2007

by The Finn

perceptual_set posted:

Gun, Germs & Steel Jared Diamond

What an interesting book! It really provided an insight into the world humanity created and why it is the way it is. I've heard detractors of the book cite valid criticisms of the book before so I was very aware of what I was reading while doing so.

For the people who have read, or are reading, this - I highly recommend The Victory of Reason by Rodney Stark as an interesting counterpoint to Diamond's materialistic determinism.

Clayton Bigsby posted:

Old Man and the Sea. Everybody kept telling me how dull it was and an agonizing read, but I found it completely captivating. Especially loved how the old man related to the fish, not as some inferior being/object, but as a brother in nature. Beautiful writing.

Also, hells yes. Also try "A Clean Well-Lighted Place." I just finished rereading The Sun Also Rises. I loves me some Hemingway.

Wobegon fucked around with this message at 06:19 on Mar 5, 2008

Don Oot
Oct 28, 2005

by Fragmaster

pleasantlyplump posted:

The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time Now this was a fun read.. and really touching and moving. Your narrator is a special needs kid who's out to solve the murder of a dog but it becomes so much more in terms of emotion. A really honest, stark look at the struggles of dealing with a child of this nature. You really feel for the narrator.

I just finished this in two days. The narrator is autistic fyi. The author had worked with people with autism in some capacity, so his narrator's voice feels very realistic.

Soma Soma Soma
Mar 22, 2004

Richardson agrees
Chronicles, Volume 1 by Bob Dylan. This was the first musician's autobiography that I managed to enjoy from start to finish, although I haven't read more than a handful.

emminou
May 25, 2006

Prep, by Curtis Sittenfeld. I don't know how I felt about this book. On the one hand, it's well written, and the narrator's personality was convincing, but plotwise it felt weak. I know it described an entire four years of high school, and it might be difficult to construct a plot around something like that, but the events felt too disconnected. The ending also felt anti-climactic unfortunately.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chamberk
Jan 11, 2004

when there is nothing left to burn you have to set yourself on fire
Dance, Dance, Dance by Haruki Murakami. Kind of by-the-numbers Murakami, but entertaining nonetheless. I just like his writing style, it could be dry but it's got a little bit of wit and it just reads so well. He could write a book about preparing breakfast and it'd be readable.

Now I probably should scrounge up a copy of Wild Sheep Chase to see how the two tie together...