Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Synx
Nov 6, 2005

Dentistry? I can't even believe that's something that's real.

Rodney Munch posted:

So here is a nice question for old school bay area dudes. Do you guys remember "the jump". That little tiny bit of 680 southbound right after the Benicia Bridge? If you were in the left lane you could get hella air and it was awesome. Sadly it got repaved several years ago and its no longer possible to feel the floaty air feeling anymore.

That is the day my childhood died :smith:

Good god I remember that amazing piece of road. I think I remember driving with my parents and actually getting air at one point or another. Needless to say, it was a highlight of all of my return trips from the north.

Also: hella norcal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

So is there something wierd going on with this month's MUNI fastpasses on BART?

Kobayashi
Aug 13, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo
I decided the other day to ride my bike up the San Tomas expressway, from 280 up past 101, because I noticed it had bike lanes. In retrospect, I am so glad it was a Saturday. I thought I was going to die going over 101, I have no idea how I would handle that during morning or evening traffic. :(

Sivart13
May 18, 2003
I have neglected to come up with a clever title

Earwicker posted:

So is there something wierd going on with this month's MUNI fastpasses on BART?
Weird how? Mine has been performing as expected.

Captain Cool
Oct 23, 2004

This is a song about messin' with people who've been messin' with you

Kobayashi posted:

I decided the other day to ride my bike up the San Tomas expressway, from 280 up past 101, because I noticed it had bike lanes. In retrospect, I am so glad it was a Saturday. I thought I was going to die going over 101, I have no idea how I would handle that during morning or evening traffic. :(
Yeah, but if you're between the mountains, the expressways are about the only way to avoid traffic lights. The overpasses with ramps definitely suck - I don't know what I'd do if I had to commute that way.

My first summer in Santa Clara, I got lost one night and took San Tomas home with only a dinky LED front light. I don't recommend that.

figgs
Oct 27, 2007
Anyone been to Dodge Ridge or Bear Valley and can provide some input on the pros and cons of either place?

JohnnyRed
Aug 19, 2004

by Ozma
Do you all know about Lucky Juju Pinball Museum in Alameda? So worth the trip, even to all you city kids. Vintage pinball machines, completely working 45 juke boxes, all on free play! It's 10 bucks to get in, and you can stay as long as you want, everything is on free play. Check out the site for the tables in rotation:

https://www.ujuju.com

Went there this weekend and there's a lot of fun tables out right now. There's a really sweet "moon" table that I can't find on the website. The table is like bumpy plastic, so the ball kind of careens around haphazardly. But this is the money machine:
http://www.ujuju.com/item.php?id=580

SO loving fun. ALso, he has some recent tables out. Pinball Magic, Twilight Zone, and Addam's Family are all classic newer tables

Grigori Rasputin
Aug 21, 2000
WE DON'T NEED ROME TELLING US WHAT TO DO
I've been meaning to check it out. Do they got Guns n' Roses pinball?

JohnnyRed
Aug 19, 2004

by Ozma

Grigori Rasputin posted:

I've been meaning to check it out. Do they got Guns n' Roses pinball?

No, it's mainly 70's tables, with just a few from before and a few 80's or 90's tables. But it's a "museum" meaning he really tries to get old machines from the early/mid 70s and fix them up. It's incredible how pristine he keeps these things!

Also, right now, there's a Surfer machine up that has a clear bottom, so you can see all the inner workings of the electronics while you're playing. Awesome stuff

Atrus
Dec 5, 2003

"The ending has not yet been written."

Ask me about CONTRIBUTING TO THE DEATH OF VIDEOGAMES
When is the best time to look for an apartment in the East Bay? Specifically in the El Cerrito and Berkeley area. My lease is up April 1st, but I may be able to extend a month or two after. So effectively, is the East Bay market better to look in March, April, or May? (That is, move-in in either April, May, or June.)

Reasons why East Bay: San Rafael is not the place I want to live at. The East Bay north of the maze is the best balance of living in civilization, working in San Rafael, and being able to have public transportation (Goon parties anyone?). I'm not outright opposed to living in San Francisco, but I must use my car to drive to work in San Rafael. East Bay north of the maze is close enough to work and going the right direction for traffic. Not to mention that people can actually get to my apartment without having a car.

Emasculatrix
Nov 30, 2004

Tell Me You Love Me.

Atrus posted:

When is the best time to look for an apartment in the East Bay? Specifically in the El Cerrito and Berkeley area. My lease is up April 1st, but I may be able to extend a month or two after. So effectively, is the East Bay market better to look in March, April, or May? (That is, move-in in either April, May, or June.)

Reasons why East Bay: San Rafael is not the place I want to live at. The East Bay north of the maze is the best balance of living in civilization, working in San Rafael, and being able to have public transportation (Goon parties anyone?). I'm not outright opposed to living in San Francisco, but I must use my car to drive to work in San Rafael. East Bay north of the maze is close enough to work and going the right direction for traffic. Not to mention that people can actually get to my apartment without having a car.

Well, school ends towards the end of May, so I imagine that a lot of apartments will be opening up at the end of that month.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

Atrus posted:

There are parts of San Francisco where your commute could be shorter than East Bay and possibly even lower rent. I moved from Berkeley to SF and my commute to San Rafael was about 2/3 as long at worst (from 7th Ave & Fulton) and my rent actually went down. I absolutely loathe that Richmond Bridge commute because of the unpredictability of westbound traffic and the constant construction in San Rafael and the horrific 101S-580E junction on the way home. Crossing the Golden Gate every day is a drat treat and the commute is far more pleasant.

I moved in February of last year, and I recommend avoiding the summer as much as possible. I would think April is a much better time to move than June. There will be fewer listings but far less competition for what's available.

Atrus
Dec 5, 2003

Papercut posted:

I absolutely loathe that Richmond Bridge commute because of the unpredictability of westbound traffic and the constant construction in San Rafael and the horrific 101S-580E junction on the way home.
Funny thing is I currently have to go though the 101-580 junction to get to work right now. I actually take the side streets, but still. The advantage is that work is located at the very first exit right after the bridge, so I don't need to deal with the 101-580 mess. As long as the bridge is open, I'm good. If the bridge closes, then my office will be closed anyways as other coworkers of mine can't get to work.

quote:

:words: from controlfreak & Papercut about timing.
I looked around for apartments during March for April move in last year, but that was a rush to find a place and move in with-in 5 weeks while living in Boston. Wanted to see if it's best to throw in the towel for lease right now or better to wait, so I see the point in aiming for a April 1st move.

Anyone else have any thoughts?

JohnnyRed
Aug 19, 2004

by Ozma

Atrus posted:

Funny thing is I currently have to go though the 101-580 junction to get to work right now. I actually take the side streets, but still. The advantage is that work is located at the very first exit right after the bridge, so I don't need to deal with the 101-580 mess. As long as the bridge is open, I'm good. If the bridge closes, then my office will be closed anyways as other coworkers of mine can't get to work.

I looked around for apartments during March for April move in last year, but that was a rush to find a place and move in with-in 5 weeks while living in Boston. Wanted to see if it's best to throw in the towel for lease right now or better to wait, so I see the point in aiming for a April 1st move.

Anyone else have any thoughts?

Dude, the whole point of living in the bay area is low stress, no-lease apartments. I guess that changes if you're in nice places or way out in the boonies, but I've only had one lease since I moved back here and it was a month to month. If you're desperate, get a month to month lease and you can just keep looking for places and give your one month notice.

Books On Tape
Dec 26, 2003

Future of the franchise

JohnnyRed posted:

Do you all know about Lucky Juju Pinball Museum in Alameda? So worth the trip, even to all you city kids. Vintage pinball machines, completely working 45 juke boxes, all on free play! It's 10 bucks to get in, and you can stay as long as you want, everything is on free play. Check out the site for the tables in rotation:

https://www.ujuju.com

Went there this weekend and there's a lot of fun tables out right now. There's a really sweet "moon" table that I can't find on the website. The table is like bumpy plastic, so the ball kind of careens around haphazardly. But this is the money machine:
http://www.ujuju.com/item.php?id=580

SO loving fun. ALso, he has some recent tables out. Pinball Magic, Twilight Zone, and Addam's Family are all classic newer tables

I'm ashamed to say that I live 2 blocks from this place and have never been there despite meaning to go for so long. I have to stop making excuses, that looks fun as hell.

JohnnyRed
Aug 19, 2004

by Ozma

jerkstore77 posted:

I'm ashamed to say that I live 2 blocks from this place and have never been there despite meaning to go for so long. I have to stop making excuses, that looks fun as hell.

Yeah you're a fool. That's like the only Alameda destination point, aside from Romero and Son chicharones burritos. People make the trek from SF for Juju man!

JohnnyRed
Aug 19, 2004

by Ozma
Hey douches,

Morning Benders tonight at the Independent. Best local band, seriously.

Mark Larson
Dec 27, 2003

Interesting...
Weird request - could anyone recommend some nightclubs with no cover, or even no-cover before a certain time? Non-ghetto preferred, obviously. I don't want to be shanked. I'd be looking in the SF area or the East Bay (around Berkeley). I want to dance, and I'm sick of paying up for cover.

Socket Ryanist
Aug 30, 2004

Mark Larson posted:

Weird request - could anyone recommend some nightclubs with no cover, or even no-cover before a certain time? Non-ghetto preferred, obviously. I don't want to be shanked. I'd be looking in the SF area or the East Bay (around Berkeley). I want to dance, and I'm sick of paying up for cover.
I dunno if you'd really call it a nightclub, but there's Trauma at El Rincon every thursday, only $3.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

Mark Larson posted:

As above, I wouldn't call this a nightclub, but Beauty Bar at 19th & Mission is free and usually has good music. It gets really crowded and insanely hot, but it's usually a fun place to hang out for an hour or two before you get claustrophobic.

crazystray
Aug 7, 2005
Grow or die.

Mark Larson posted:

Anu is pretty cool, usually some good music, leans towards the deep drum and bass side of things, no cover, affordable drinks, usually a good crowd, it's not very big, but will usually have some people dancing. It's on 6th near mission.

Dakrikokoko posted:

Anyone been to Dodge Ridge or Bear Valley and can provide some input on the pros and cons of either place?

I've been to Dodge Ridge, I remember it being OK, but kinda small, and considering it's not really THAT much closer than Sierra or even Heavenly I haven't bothered to go back. Heavenly season passes *were* about $300, which is surprisingly affordable.

crazystray fucked around with this message at 07:32 on Feb 29, 2008

Side Car
Jul 5, 2007

Dakrikokoko posted:

Bear Valley is some good skiing with nice scenery, but crowded and not cheap.

Drink and Fight
Feb 2, 2003

Is anyone else going to the Slow Beer Festival tomorrow?

Also, a reminder that here is the SF goonmeet thread, and everyone needs to come to Valdara's final Treasure Island toga party!

fallenturtle
Feb 28, 2003
paintedblue.net
Where can one find really good waffles in SF (breakfast style, not dessert style)? I know there's Chicken and Waffles in Oakland, but I'd like to avoid bridges if possible. I live near city college, so the closer the better.

Thanks!

JohnnyRed
Aug 19, 2004

by Ozma

fallenturtle posted:

Where can one find really good waffles in SF (breakfast style, not dessert style)? I know there's Chicken and Waffles in Oakland, but I'd like to avoid bridges if possible. I live near city college, so the closer the better.

Thanks!

I don't know about waffles, but the best breakfast in SF I've had is Hamburger Haven in the Inner Richmond. It's like 7th and Clement? Man, that is some of the best biscuits and gravy I've ever had.

On that note, are there any good east bay biscuits and gravy spots? All the good "soul food" breakfast spots have brown gravy, which is NOT REAL BISCUITS AND GRAVY

Victor Nightingale
May 11, 2005

I swear, finding an apartment in the city is difficult. A year ago it only took us about 3 days to pick a 3-bedroom place near bart south of the city, but finding an affordable one-bedroom that's not in hunter's point is driving me up the wall.

Also, going to see tiny apartments while the rest of you are milling about inside trying to snatch them away from me (often with your stunning significant others) doesn't make it any easier.

BreadLust
Feb 28, 2004

humped, dumped, born to suffer; made to undress in the wilderness

mrpuffypants posted:

I swear, finding an apartment in the city is difficult. A year ago it only took us about 3 days to pick a 3-bedroom place near bart south of the city, but finding an affordable one-bedroom that's not in hunter's point is driving me up the wall.

Also, going to see tiny apartments while the rest of you are milling about inside trying to snatch them away from me (often with your stunning significant others) doesn't make it any easier.

Yeah housing market is super tight, I just moved in on Saturday after looking for awhile. I responded to about a dozen ads on Craigslist with only a single response (leading to the apt I'm in now). I asked my roomie about it and she said she had about fifty responses within a day of posting the ad so I don't know how I beat out the competition, but that's what you're looking at.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
I'm considering going back to visit my Mom. I grew up in a commuter town in the far northern cusp of the Bay Area, and normally I pay through the nose to take a shuttle bus from either SFO or OAK to some out-of-the-way corner of my hometown. One of the ways I'm looking at reducing the costs is taking BART from either airport to Civic Center and then riding Golden Gate Transit up to a slightly less out-of-the-way corner of my hometown, and doing the reverse going back. The thing is, I almost never went to San Fran growing up, mostly just going through the city to SFO and on maybe eight occasions in 20 years of living there we'd stop in the city, and half the time leave confused and/or traumatized. My Dad would be anxious to leave before he gets stabbed, my Mother would be confused as to what was going on around her, and I'd be scared out of my wits because my parents appeared to be in a panic mode.

One of the things I've heard is that you do NOT want to be anywhere the gently caress around the Tenderloin. Apparently that's the name of the actual district, but I've grown up actually thinking Tenderloin was a synonym for ghetto, as it's some sort of crime warzone where people smoke crack and light trash on fire. So, uh, if I'm dressed like a traveler with a bag, and I have to spend something like an hour waiting for the GGT outside Civic Center BART, and it's the middle of broad daylight, and I'm minding my own business, how likely is it that something bad will fall upon me?

Even just searching the area online brought up pictures of guys on BART trains getting arrested, so uh, if it's really that bad I'll just keep paying more for the airport shuttle.

Craptacular! fucked around with this message at 05:44 on Mar 4, 2008

Emasculatrix
Nov 30, 2004

Tell Me You Love Me.

Craptacular! posted:

So, uh, if I'm dressed like a traveler with a bag, and I have to spend something like an hour waiting for the GGT outside Civic Center BART, and it's the middle of broad daylight, and I'm minding my own business, how likely is it that something bad will fall upon me?
Are you out of your mind? This is a sure way to get yourself killed.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

er... I'm not sure if controlfreak is joking or just paranoid but the Civic Center area is fine during the day, just don't get into extended conversations with anyone obviously crazy. That area can be a tad sketchy once its in the middle of the night but if its the morning or afternoon you'll be fine. In fact depending on what day of the week it is there might even be the farmers market and you can eat some awesome cilantro chutney and samosas while you wait.

And the Tenderloin isn't exactly a "ghetto" in the normal sense of the word, yes there is a lot of crime there, but its also kind of a tourist attraction. It's definitely not a place most people here go out of their way to avoid, there's a lot of good food and bars there. It might not be a good idea to go there alone at 3 or 4 in the morning but if you are with friends and you know where you're going its fine.

Atrus
Dec 5, 2003

Craptacular! posted:

Apparently that's the name of the actual district, but I've grown up actually thinking Tenderloin was a synonym for ghetto, as it's some sort of crime warzone where people smoke crack and light trash on fire.
If this is your thought about San Francisco, then as a previous Detroit resident I am deeply offended.

While I wouldn't say you have no worries in the world, you are completely overreacting.

Sivart13
May 18, 2003
I have neglected to come up with a clever title

Craptacular! posted:

So, uh, if I'm dressed like a traveler with a bag, and I have to spend something like an hour waiting for the GGT outside Civic Center BART, and it's the middle of broad daylight, and I'm minding my own business, how likely is it that something bad will fall upon me?
Civic Center is definitely the diciest city BART station, but in 'broad daylight', nothing too unusual will happen. Later in the day things will still be fine if you stick by Market street. But if you're off exploring at 1am there's probably some places not too far off that you don't want to be, for psychological reasons more than anything.

I don't think I've ever seen any trash on fire but my memory is fuzzy.

Socket Ryanist
Aug 30, 2004

why would you be waiting for GGT at civic center bart and not at transbay terminal?

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

Socket Ryanist posted:

why would you be waiting for GGT at civic center bart and not at transbay terminal?

Because from what I've seen on Google, there's no easy way to get to Transbay from BART without walking some blocks, and that's scarier than making a connection at a subway station. At least, I think it is.

As for the one guy who decided to mock me, allow me to explain: I haven't used BART in 13 years, I'm a small-town suburb guy easily intimidated by big cities, and the only real city I've experienced alone and on public transit is Toronto (Vegas doesn't count as a city for various reasons.) And Canada has a lot less bums and crazy than San Fran, which is kind of why I came to ask what I'm in for.

EDIT: Upon further examination, it seems I can also use Embarcadero, which is preferable.

Craptacular! fucked around with this message at 12:17 on Mar 4, 2008

Nazipenis
Oct 26, 2007
zzz
I'll be staying in SF from the 20th to the 25th of March.

I'll take any tips on concerts, clubs or shows that's worth a visit, during this period.

Also, I know there is an Amoeba store in San Francisco. Are there any other good (vinyl) record shops I should know about?

Grigori Rasputin
Aug 21, 2000
WE DON'T NEED ROME TELLING US WHAT TO DO
Aquarius Records is small but great if you're into experimental music. They do a lot of reviews and have a good selection of niche poo poo. It's in/around the Mission.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Craptacular! posted:

Because from what I've seen on Google, there's no easy way to get to Transbay from BART without walking some blocks, and that's scarier than making a connection at a subway station. At least, I think it is.

Seriously man there is absolutely nothing scary in between BART and the Transbay station. It's like two or three blocks, its downtown, the worst thing that can happen to you is a bum might ask you or change. I work just down the street from it.

Books On Tape
Dec 26, 2003

Future of the franchise

Craptacular! posted:

Get off at Embarcadero station and it's only 2 non-scary blocks through the financial district.

JohnnyRed
Aug 19, 2004

by Ozma

jerkstore77 posted:

Get off at Embarcadero station and it's only 2 non-scary blocks through the financial district.

FINANCIAL DISTRICT? I'd rather go through the TL

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drink and Fight
Feb 2, 2003

JohnnyRed posted:

FINANCIAL DISTRICT? I'd rather go through the TL

At least it's not the Marina. *shudder*

• Locked thread