Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PissFilledCumBubble
Jun 27, 2006

Matlock posted:

I've heard it a few times in retail stores on the Muzak--it sounds sorta like the BeeGees vocally, and the only line I can remember is "I don't wanna be alone." It's irritating, at best.

maybe Bee Gees - Alone?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kulak
Nov 29, 2005
This song has been driving me crazy. I have to hear it!

All I really remember is the melody, but the first time I heard about it was on SA. Apparently some goon had a relationship with this singer, and she ended up writing a song about him which became pretty popular. From what I recall, the name of the song is one word, and it's a Name. I'm sorry I don't have any more details, but hopefully the goon reference is enough.

PissFilledCumBubble
Jun 27, 2006

Kulak posted:

This song has been driving me crazy. I have to hear it!

All I really remember is the melody, but the first time I heard about it was on SA. Apparently some goon had a relationship with this singer, and she ended up writing a song about him which became pretty popular. From what I recall, the name of the song is one word, and it's a Name. I'm sorry I don't have any more details, but hopefully the goon reference is enough.

was it Regina Spektor - Samson?

Kulak
Nov 29, 2005
that was it exactly, thank you SOOO much

PUSSY BARON
Dec 25, 2005

by mons all madden
Is there an ambient/downtempo version of the track Skylab by Ed Rush? I heard it on the Groove Salad Soma FM playlist a few times but when I tried to get it, it was a drum n bass song that sounded nothing like the one played on the radio (which was not labeled in any extra way) Or was that track on their playlist mis-labeled?

A Boy Named Sue
Dec 25, 2005
Life aint easy for a boy named Sue
This is not so much a help me ID a song as it is a band (sorry if this is frowned upon here) but a few years ago while I was still doing martial arts our teacher gave me tape of, well, I guess it's best described at japanese drum/fast tempo tracks. I want to say the name of the artist was coda or cota or something along those lines. Any help would be appreciated as I no longer have the tape and am dying to hear it again.

VolumeOverTalent
Jan 27, 2006

A Boy Named Sue posted:

This is not so much a help me ID a song as it is a band (sorry if this is frowned upon here) but a few years ago while I was still doing martial arts our teacher gave me tape of, well, I guess it's best described at japanese drum/fast tempo tracks. I want to say the name of the artist was coda or cota or something along those lines. Any help would be appreciated as I no longer have the tape and am dying to hear it again.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kodo_%28taiko_group%29

Disharmony
Dec 29, 2000

Like a hundred crippled horses lying crumpled on the ground

Begging for a rifle to come and put them down
http://tv.popcrunch.com/fred-simmons-king-of-the-demo-on-february-26-conan-obrien-video/

During the taekwondo segment, a cheesy 80s song plays. Anyone know the song?

PissFilledCumBubble
Jun 27, 2006

Disharmony posted:

http://tv.popcrunch.com/fred-simmons-king-of-the-demo-on-february-26-conan-obrien-video/

During the taekwondo segment, a cheesy 80s song plays. Anyone know the song?

the only lyrics i can make out are

code:
You're put to the test
There's no second best
and Google has yet to turn up anything. it may be some song they made up for that segment.

A Boy Named Sue
Dec 25, 2005
Life aint easy for a boy named Sue

VolumeOverTalent posted:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kodo_%28taiko_group%29

Thanks a ton, exactly what I was looking for

destructor muffin
May 16, 2007
sinfully delicious
Anyone from the LA area? KISS FM keeps playing this portion of a Tiesto song on their own advertisements, but for the life of me I cannot find it. It's kind of hard to describe since it doesn't have any lyrics, but its mostly an upper range melody/beat. Anyone have any clue what I'm talking about?

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

There is a song towards the end of rushmore that has been driving me crazy for years. I have listened to clips of the entire soundtrack and it doesnt seem like its even on there.

I belive it plays while Max is wearing goggles and riding around in a go cart. It only plays for a short time and the lyrics just say "you are forgiven" while high pitched voices chant "forgiven" in the background. Its a pretty upbeat song.

UNRULY_HOUSEGUEST
Jul 19, 2006

mea culpa

NESguerilla posted:

There is a song towards the end of rushmore that has been driving me crazy for years. I have listened to clips of the entire soundtrack and it doesnt seem like its even on there.

I belive it plays while Max is wearing goggles and riding around in a go cart. It only plays for a short time and the lyrics just say "you are forgiven" while high pitched voices chant "forgiven" in the background. Its a pretty upbeat song.

It's "A Quick One While He's Away" by The Who; you won't hear the 'you are forgiven' part until the section that comes at the end, though.

Sweetwater Kill
Jun 7, 2006

La vierge Marie vous regarde.

NESguerilla posted:

I'm thinking A Quick One While He's Away by The Who. It's a sort of medley song, and the last part is called "You Are Forgiven". IMDB says it's on the soundtrack, so I'll go with that.

Edit: Wiki says it's a different version of the song (the one on Rock and Roll Circus) which is actually used in the film, which may be one reason why it doesn't sound right to you.
Edit2: Beaten, but I have more info? Haha.

Sweetwater Kill fucked around with this message at 01:12 on Mar 3, 2008

Charleston Jew
Jul 31, 2005

oh my sloth!
My roommate played me a couple songs by the same artist, one was apparently about how having a pet dinosaur is a bad idea because it will rip out your chest. I remember the line "it's second nature to them" or something of that nature. The other song was about giraffe, I think. It was sung by a guy, I guess you could say it was indie-ish, sort of upbeat and mostly featuring guitar.

edit: bah, found it. Miniature Tigers.

Charleston Jew fucked around with this message at 06:32 on Mar 3, 2008

Spider Crusoe
Jan 30, 2005

Someone here one time posted a music video for a jazz band, and I can't remember their name. The music video seemed to have blurry images or closeups, and the music was a slow, dark lounge. They may have been German and the name Magnum may have been involved.

LL_Ghoul_J
Oct 22, 2004

Get Heavy

Spider Crusoe posted:

Someone here one time posted a music video for a jazz band, and I can't remember their name. The music video seemed to have blurry images or closeups, and the music was a slow, dark lounge. They may have been German and the name Magnum may have been involved.

My best guess would be Bohren & der Club of Gore - Prowler. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NoooscPFiyc

Spider Crusoe
Jan 30, 2005

LL_Ghoul_J posted:

My best guess would be Bohren & der Club of Gore - Prowler. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NoooscPFiyc
That's it, thanks.

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

I don't think it's nice, you laughing.
Im attempting to remember a song that i think is mid 90s era grunge/country rock. The only lyrics i can remember sound similar to "down by the river". The verses are sung almost yelling.

The closest song i could compare it by would be Runaway Train just that it seems to be a similar kind of country influeced melancholy song, are around the same time and the same kind of band would be behind it.

Hope this is enough info.

jeff8472
Dec 28, 2000

He died from watch-in-ass disease
Seven Mary Three - Water's Edge

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CQPELadpM_E

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

jeff8472 posted:

Seven Mary Three - Water's Edge

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CQPELadpM_E

Nah thats not it.

Its far more melodic and almost "ballad" like in a way.

Thanks though.

PissFilledCumBubble
Jun 27, 2006

Nutsngum posted:

Im attempting to remember a song that i think is mid 90s era grunge/country rock. The only lyrics i can remember sound similar to "down by the river". The verses are sung almost yelling.

The closest song i could compare it by would be Runaway Train just that it seems to be a similar kind of country influeced melancholy song, are around the same time and the same kind of band would be behind it.

Alice in Chains - Down in a Hole?

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

GimpChimp posted:

It's "A Quick One While He's Away" by The Who; you won't hear the 'you are forgiven' part until the section that comes at the end, though.

Sweetwater Kill posted:

I'm thinking A Quick One While He's Away by The Who. It's a sort of medley song, and the last part is called "You Are Forgiven". IMDB says it's on the soundtrack, so I'll go with that.

Edit: Wiki says it's a different version of the song (the one on Rock and Roll Circus) which is actually used in the film, which may be one reason why it doesn't sound right to you.
Edit2: Beaten, but I have more info? Haha.

That explains why that part wasnt in the clips.

God I am a moron, I actually have the rock and roll circus DVD and I never even noticed that it was the same song.

Edit: Just bought it on Itunes. Right on guys!

Nutsngum posted:

The closest song i could compare it by would be Runaway Train just that it seems to be a similar kind of coun[quote="Nutsngum"]

Was it maybe a cover of the Neil Young song?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6v5E27Fp59c

veni veni veni fucked around with this message at 01:56 on Mar 4, 2008

chachu
Jul 4, 2007

cuttin' cat faces in the pines.

Nutsngum posted:

Umm, maybe that song Down by the Water by PJ Harvey?

DaveSpillings
Jul 31, 2007

"I'll just get a glass of orange juice." "no no no NO NO!!!"

PissFilledCumBubble posted:

Or it could've been Dam That River!

rumblith
Feb 12, 2007

"Lincoln attacked the peaceluvin South at Ft Sumter DURRRRR"
The last few days I've been going crazy trying to find the name of a band I once listened to about 8-9 years ago. I believe I remember the lyrics somewhat clearly and have spent hours searching Google and lyric finding sites with no luck.

Anyway this is the song I remember most clearly.

i lost my job i lost my car i lost my home and i say, it's alright
I lost my will i lost my drive i lost my motivation, it's alright
now what you going to do. - when things don't go - your way at all
what you gonna do when your backs against the wall
i lost my hope i lost my faith i lost my fascination, it's alright
i lost my will i lost my drive i lost my inspiration, it's alright
because when you lie down, things can go only in one direction, when you lie down it's all brand new

SebAndSeb
Apr 23, 2007

hello
I saw a song on one of those video jukebox things in a bowling place a little while ago, which I remember hearing on the radio a long time ago but so far my attempts at finding it have failed.

The only lyrics I can remember are 'I wanna be free... yeah, yeah yeah', which is probably the chorus and definitely comes up over and over throughout the song. The 'yeah's are sort of drawn out also, kind of like, 'yeeeaah, yeeaah, yeeah'.

I'm guessing it was popular around the late 90's or something? That's when I get the impression I heard it around the place, although it could've been a little later maybe.

That's pretty much all I can remember about it; I caught a glimpse of the music video but I don't remember anything of it apart from that one of the guys had an afro. Possibly.

Surely someone knows what I'm talking about?!

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

PissFilledCumBubble posted:

Nope, and wasnt any of the others.

When i say it has lyrics that sound like "down by the river" thats really what it sounds like but i cant find the song at all.

Its a male singing btw.

Fingertips
Jul 30, 2006
Defender of the Internets
Alright so I was working on the computer and a nostalgic song popped into my head. I can only remember the very first part of it. It has a high-reverb piano playing a single chord over and over really quickly, which then shifts chords, keeping the same fast playing. It is very relaxing not entirely electronic but definatly not live music. I called my brother up and he seems to think that it is named Lotus or something.

If anybody here can help me name this song that would be great. Its really bugging me!

FanofPortals
Sep 22, 2006

BILL FILLMAFF'S GREATEST DISAPPOINTMENT
Does anyone know what the name of the orchestrated music is in this poker clip, around 32 seconds in? It strikes me as a nice piece of music and I'd love to know what it is called. I don't think it's Eye of the Tiger though.

The video is here: http://ca.youtube.com/watch?v=vT1ha7HA1C0

Thanks regardless :)

Verdance
May 9, 2007
Tweak
I was looking for an album posted here a while back.
I've looked about for it but can't find it.
I think it was by a guy called mat mark or something like that. i forget.

Freddie Gibbis
Jul 30, 2007

~~ schween lyfe ~~

Nutsngum posted:

Nope, and wasnt any of the others.

When i say it has lyrics that sound like "down by the river" thats really what it sounds like but i cant find the song at all.

Its a male singing btw.

this is still super-vague, though. is it a ballad or a more hard-rocking song? acoustic guitars or electric? both? do you remember it being a hit or was it obscure? etc. etc.

there are about six million grunge songs that include the lyrics "down by the river" so it's not the most useful piece of information by itself

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

Agitate! Agitate! posted:

this is still super-vague, though. is it a ballad or a more hard-rocking song? acoustic guitars or electric? both? do you remember it being a hit or was it obscure? etc. etc.

there are about six million grunge songs that include the lyrics "down by the river" so it's not the most useful piece of information by itself

More ballad, more acoustic based but probably has electric backing, it was at least a moderatly successful hit and i expect everyone to have heard it before and be able to recognise it.

This is my poorly humming the tune into a lovely microphone, might help.
http://www.zshare.net/audio/84604167e7a5ab/

Freddie Gibbis
Jul 30, 2007

~~ schween lyfe ~~

Nutsngum posted:

More ballad, more acoustic based but probably has electric backing, it was at least a moderatly successful hit and i expect everyone to have heard it before and be able to recognise it.

This is my poorly humming the tune into a lovely microphone, might help.
http://www.zshare.net/audio/84604167e7a5ab/

okay, hrm, i was starting to think it was "river of deceit" by mad season but the melody sounds nothing like that.

this is gonna sound crazy but i think you're humming "The River" by Bruce Springsteen

Alystair
Oct 11, 2005

Remain calm, we are in control.
$5/avatar certificate to anyone who can name the single tune OR $10 via paypal/forum certificate if you can find the exact setlist this track was part of. As the filename suggests it's from Cor Fijneman's Outstanding Radio trance show.

http://www.bonsai-os.com/puredj-CorFijneman-OutstandingRadio.mp3

other people
Jun 27, 2004
Associate Christ
This is a stab in the dark.

I was listening to the local college radio station last night, WXYC in Chapel Hill, NC. I caught the tail end of a nice ambient/drone piece. It reminded me of Brian Eno in the early 80s. I heard the DJ say the name, but I was interrupted when I arrived home and only now have I remembered to look it up.

I swear the name of the track was something like "Shadow moving over the earth". I can't remember anything else. The band may have been from Texas, and it may have been released in 2002. The DJ also mentioned Fennesz but I don't think this particular track was him.

Thank you very much if you have any clues!

chachu
Jul 4, 2007

WXYC's website has the current playlist, but their FAQ states:

WXYC posted:

Can you tell me what song I heard two days ago at 3:36am?

Sure — we keep logs of every song played during almost all of our programs. Just email wxyc@wxyc.org with the date and time that you heard the song (be sure to specify am or pm). It also helps if you can describe what the song sounded like (genre, lyrics, or other details) or what kinds of songs were played immediately before and after. We'll do our best to identify the song and get back to you as soon as we can.

UNRULY_HOUSEGUEST
Jul 19, 2006

mea culpa

Kaluza-Klein posted:

This is a stab in the dark.

I was listening to the local college radio station last night, WXYC in Chapel Hill, NC. I caught the tail end of a nice ambient/drone piece. It reminded me of Brian Eno in the early 80s. I heard the DJ say the name, but I was interrupted when I arrived home and only now have I remembered to look it up.

I swear the name of the track was something like "Shadow moving over the earth". I can't remember anything else. The band may have been from Texas, and it may have been released in 2002. The DJ also mentioned Fennesz but I don't think this particular track was him.

Thank you very much if you have any clues!

I could be way off because I am not too familiar with the ambient end of Brian Eno's work or even the precise definition of ambient, but Moby has a song named God Moving Over The Face Of The Waters.

GhenghizCohen
Feb 23, 2008
Anyone know the 80's sounding robotish song in the Visa commercials? It was also in Family Guy (where Peter goes back in time, messes up everything and ends up married to Molly Ringwald) while Peter's at a club missing his date with Lois.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chachu
Jul 4, 2007

"The song playing while Peter parties with Cleveland is called Axel F also known as the Beverly Hills Cop theme."