Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hayden.
Sep 11, 2007

here's a goat on a pig or something

ChiliMac posted:

What more do you want? :psyduck:

It's really uncomfortable, looks retarded, and prevents my heated jacket from working as well as it could (which is also important). So, getting these things fixed would be that "more".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

teknicolor
Jul 18, 2004

I Want to Meet That Dad!
Do Da Doo Doo

buildmyrigdotcom posted:

It's really uncomfortable, looks retarded, and prevents my heated jacket from working as well as it could (which is also important). So, getting these things fixed would be that "more".

Maybe you've got it on backwards/wrong size. I don't think Dainese gear looks retarded or uncomfortable at all.

hayden.
Sep 11, 2007

Bunching up around my stomach is what looks dumb. The jacket itself is fine. It can "look" comfortable all day, but my point is that it isn't for me. The chest size is right, and since I'm so skinny it's actually smaller than what it would be if I were to gain a few. Getting a bigger size would make it worse and I couldn't fit into a smaller size. This is why, again, I'm asking for recommendations for other jackets.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

buildmyrigdotcom posted:

Bunching up around my stomach is what looks dumb. The jacket itself is fine. It can "look" comfortable all day, but my point is that it isn't for me. The chest size is right, and since I'm so skinny it's actually smaller than what it would be if I were to gain a few. Getting a bigger size would make it worse and I couldn't fit into a smaller size. This is why, again, I'm asking for recommendations for other jackets.

Do you want leather? M Olympia AST has adjustments in the waste and in the chest that would make it tight around you. Plus, it has a dual zipper (you can unzipper it from the bottom) to prevent bunching while on the bike.

Maybe you can find a textile jacket you like that offers more adjustability to make it fit on you properly.

hayden.
Sep 11, 2007

Uthor posted:

Do you want leather? M Olympia AST has adjustments in the waste and in the chest that would make it tight around you. Plus, it has a dual zipper (you can unzipper it from the bottom) to prevent bunching while on the bike.

Maybe you can find a textile jacket you like that offers more adjustability to make it fit on you properly.

I would prefer leather because it's safer. I have a textile/mesh jacket that fits much better, but I don't feel nearly as safe in it. I might have to give up and go for something like you have if I can't find one, though. I imagine it might be warmer, too.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

buildmyrigdotcom posted:

I would prefer leather because it's safer. I have a textile/mesh jacket that fits much better, but I don't feel nearly as safe in it. I might have to give up and go for something like you have if I can't find one, though. I imagine it might be warmer, too.

I think with leather, you pretty much have to get the fit right from the get-go. There's really not a lot of adjustability to be built in without a custom fit.

Find a good store and try a bunch of stuff on.

Breakfast All Day
Oct 21, 2004

buildmyrigdotcom posted:

It's really uncomfortable, looks retarded,

Wow, usually I would classify Dainese as the only brand that doesn't look retarded. If you want a bunch of stunnnna flash go pick up some Icon or every single other gaudy brand.

As for the stomach bunching up - that's pretty munch going to happen in any motorcycle gear unless you get it custom fitted since they're sized for people with guts. At least with Dainese you're assumed to have a european middle-aged male gut instead of an American middle-aged male gut. It's an unfortunate reality for those of us with smaller waistlines. Riding pants are the worst. I'm 6' 170 with a 30" waist, but to get pants that weren't comically big around the middle I had to order for 5'9" 150. Sitting on the bike, most of my boot is exposed, but at least the pants and armor will stay put.

hayden.
Sep 11, 2007

mercilor posted:

Wow, usually I would classify Dainese as the only brand that doesn't look retarded. If you want a bunch of stunnnna flash go pick up some Icon or every single other gaudy brand.

buildmyrigdotcom posted:

Bunching up around my stomach is what looks dumb. The jacket itself is fine.
Sorry about the confusion.

mercilor posted:

As for the stomach bunching up - that's pretty munch going to happen in any motorcycle gear unless you get it custom fitted since they're sized for people with guts. At least with Dainese you're assumed to have a european middle-aged male gut instead of an American middle-aged male gut. It's an unfortunate reality for those of us with smaller waistlines. Riding pants are the worst. I'm 6' 170 with a 30" waist, but to get pants that weren't comically big around the middle I had to order for 5'9" 150. Sitting on the bike, most of my boot is exposed, but at least the pants and armor will stay put.

This is kind of what I was afraid of. I've looked around trying to find one that fit well and I figured I was missing something. Thanks for the feedback.

Tactical Bonnet
Nov 5, 2005

You'd be distressed too if some pile of bones just told you your favorite hat was stupid.
So I'm in the market for a new helmet, are there any brands I should steer clear of? How much should I look to spend on a decent mid-range full face helmet?

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

Tactical Bonnet posted:

So I'm in the market for a new helmet, are there any brands I should steer clear of? How much should I look to spend on a decent mid-range full face helmet?

200-300$. Use sites like new enough or ebay. There's plenty of official helmet dealers on ebay now. B&M markup on helmets is absolutely insane.

Skier
Apr 24, 2003

Fuck yeah.
Fan of Britches

Tactical Bonnet posted:

Go to a dealer, try on several brands and sizes. Wear it around the store for 10 to 15 minutes to ensure no hot/sore spots develop. Buy the one that fits the best at the dealer you wore the lid at. Yes, it's more expensive but if you use their helmet to try on, support them.

iroc_dis
May 11, 2006

Tactical Bonnet posted:

NewEnough, Parts411 and SportbikeTrackGear generally have good prices on helmets. You're going to need to find what fits you first though

ChiliMac
Apr 13, 2005

That's why I never kiss 'em on the mouth.
I've liked my Scorpion Exo-400s in a price/feature aspect so far, but I don't have a lot to compare to. It's certainly a little heavier (I haven't noticed though) and fits differently than a Shoei but you still get a removable liner and a nice visor (fog/scratch resistant) for about 100 dollars.

PitViper
May 25, 2003

Welcome and thank you for shopping at Wal-Mart!
I love you!
What do you guys recommend/like for warm weather riding? I have a leather jacket with armor in the shoulders and elbows for cool weather, but I know it'll be way too warm once we hit summer (Minnesota, usually 80-100*F). My roommate has a mesh jacket that seems way too flimsy, and doesn't seem like it'd be very much protection. How is textile or perforated leather in warmer weather?

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

PitViper posted:

What do you guys recommend/like for warm weather riding? I have a leather jacket with armor in the shoulders and elbows for cool weather, but I know it'll be way too warm once we hit summer (Minnesota, usually 80-100*F). My roommate has a mesh jacket that seems way too flimsy, and doesn't seem like it'd be very much protection. How is textile or perforated leather in warmer weather?

Perforated leather is great. You'll be hot at stop signs and lights, but fine when you're cruising. If it was really hot where you are, i'd pick up one of those half leather/half textile jackets. In comperable weather i wear a perfed leather one piece with underarmor under it and that works fine.

Gay Nudist Dad
Dec 12, 2006

asshole on a scooter

PitViper posted:

I have a Dainese mesh/text hybrid - it's probably 80/20 text/mesh. It has mesh that goes across the chest and down the arms, and then two pillars of mesh in the back. The textile covers all the contact points. It was expensive ($250), but it feels really solid, looks good, and fits me well. A spot for optional back armor but the Dainese piece is another 80-drat-dollars.

This, in black: http://www.kneedraggers.com/details/Dainese_Zentex_Tessuto_Textile_Jacket--608202.html

I basically live in the desert, and 110F days aren't really much of a stretch in the summer with clear skies (meaning: cruel, cruel sun), and it vents nicely when you're moving. (even if you were naked 100F is goddamn hot, so coolish when moving is as good as it gets)

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

I've got a Joe Rocket Blaster 3.0 that I wear in the summer. It's solid leather, but the side panels are completely removable with a mesh material underneath. It's pretty cool up to about 95 degrees. I don't think the new version has that feature.

I wear the jacket with perforated leather pants over basketball shorts. I've never had a problem with those.

iroc_dis
May 11, 2006
Finally got around to picking up some boots. Got a pretty good deal from CG on Alpinestars SMX Plus for $220. Looks like I only have my helmet to upgrade before I'm happy and no longer need to look at moto gear.

Are they're any "smaller" companies that fit the same as Shoei?

SqueekyD
Dec 1, 2004

Who wants to use my dongbone like a joystick and pretend you're flying an F-14?
UnderArmour is a must under the leathers, especially during the summer. Also makes it very easy to get your snug fitting suit on.

Revenant.Eagle
Oct 4, 2005

I know you think you thought you knew what you thought I said, but I'm not sure you understood what you thought I meant.

iroc_dis posted:

NewEnough, Parts411 and SportbikeTrackGear generally have good prices on helmets. You're going to need to find what fits you first though

Give me/us a call at Helmet Shop. http://www.helmetshop.com

Our prices are lower than what we have on the website due to MAP advertising prices. We're usually 10-20% bellow retail. Any of us there can give you a hand with sizing, although the best thing is to try a helmet for example locally before you buy.

Tactical Bonnet posted:

A decent midrange helmet would be a Scorpion EXO-700, or an HJC Cl-15 or AC-12. Shoei's TZR is the lower end Shoei (pronoucned show-E)and really doesn't have many features worth while. If your head size fits, an Arai (pronoucned uh-rye) Profile or Quantum 2 would be towards the higher mid range helmets. I suggest going to a local dealer that has a good selection of helmets and just start trying them on. You want the helmet to be as snug as possible, without pinching any spots on your forehead. If you aren't sure if it fits your head or not, see if the cheek pads are removable and take them out. Put on the helmet without the pads in, and you'll be able to better feel how the helmets fit.

Good luck! If you have any questions or want to talk to me about our prices, just PM me :) (that goes for anyone else, I can get all sorts of apparel and helmets, along with replacement parts too! :))

OMGWTFWALLHACK
Jan 28, 2004

Hated by the internet.

I'm currently in the market for boots- but not a serious track boot. Right now I just wear leather steel toe work boots. I'm looking for something that wouldn't make it hard to walk/run or be stupid looking if I need to wear them walking around but would still offer greater protection than normal boots. Something like normal steel toe work boots with armor added in would be ideal, does anyone know of something like that?

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug

OMGWTFWALLHACK posted:

I'm currently in the market for boots- but not a serious track boot.

I'm also in the market for some street-oriented boots, as I'd also like ones that I could walk around in and not look like a complete toolbag. However, I want to make sure that the ankle and lower shin are protected, because I'm pretty much terrified of dropping a 300 lb. slab of steel on myself while doing something stupid and breaking my ankles.

Any suggestions as well?

Xlyfindel
Dec 16, 2003
Raw Esoteric
I thought the Tourmaster Response would fit the bill nicely, since they aren't power-ranger looking but have definite armor and weather proofing, so I bought some. To be honest I like them a lot on the bike, and they work fine in protection (2 offs and plenty of stupid parking lot training mistakes and the boots are only scuffed no actual injury to me).When I wore them around constantly to break them in, I actually had people compliment them as nice looking shoes (clean kicks dawg) but now that I've had them for a year, I'm looking for a replacement. When I bought them I really thought I would be riding in the rain a lot, since I kinda liked it, but after seeing how dirty it made the bike and how freakin terrible traffic behaves in the rain (among other things) I stopped. The boots are way too hot and the weather proofing guarantees no ventilation, so for the normal everyday riding they are starting to get annoying. I have no problem wearing them to school and sitting down in a desk for whatever many hours, but after a couple weeks of wearing them to work where standing and walking are the norm, it just doesn't cut it, but that doesn't factor into the reason I'm looking to replace them.

I think race boots are a bit too specialized for everyday use, with their clasps zippers and straps, but most of the other boots don't go past the ankle or just altogether lack significant armored areas. I've ridden in various non- riding boots and shoes (haven't tried sandals yet) and I get it when people say theres a different feel for each that better suits their riding style, I just want one that will keep the bike from actually hurting me when my leg gets pinned under it next time I decide to drop it.

Sepist
Dec 26, 2005

FUCK BITCHES, ROUTE PACKETS

Gravy Boat 2k

Ripoff posted:

I'm also in the market for some street-oriented boots, as I'd also like ones that I could walk around in and not look like a complete toolbag. However, I want to make sure that the ankle and lower shin are protected, because I'm pretty much terrified of dropping a 300 lb. slab of steel on myself while doing something stupid and breaking my ankles.

Any suggestions as well?

http://www.motostrano.com/oneonone.html

I've had these things since June and I love them. They're full foot and ankle protection, look good and I can walk in them all day without any discomfort :)

Breakfast All Day
Oct 21, 2004

http://www.kneedraggers.com/details/Dainese_Quito_Leather_Shoes--614233.html

I have a pair of these in black as my primary riding shoe and I've got no complaints. I've worn them for 10 hours+ straight with little discomfort. They're certainly not as rigid as a full boot would be in a crash, but I doubt I could roll my ankle in them. They can also be found for alot less than listed there; mine were ~$170

hayden.
Sep 11, 2007

Ripoff posted:

As an added question to this, would a boot like this (or those Alpines linked above):

http://www.webbikeworld.com/motorcycle-boots/shift/fuel-street-shoe.htm

actually protect against broken ankles at all? It seems like it'd be pretty useless if your foot/ankle were to be pinned under the bike in a lowside, but I have no idea. The site doesn't actually mention ankle protection with those Alpines or these.

hayden. fucked around with this message at 06:18 on Mar 3, 2008

predictive
Jan 11, 2006

For awesome, press 1.

buildmyrigdotcom posted:

As an added question to this, would a boot like this (...) actually protect against broken ankles at all?

From what I've been able to read about this subject, shorter boots with armor can help prevent a crushed malleolus (the bony bit sticking out the side of your foot) or a fractured ankle; injuries that are both painful and slow to heal. These kinds of boots won't prevent fracturing of the tibia or fibula (the two bones that make up the lower leg) like a full on race/MX style boot might. Fractured fibulas seem to be a common low-speed injury; people hit the brakes hard in a sharp turn and drop their 400+ lb bike on a planted leg, resulting in much swearing. The consensus seems to be that shorter boots are worse than full boots for a particular kind of crash injury, but far better than most work boots in a crash, and any boot is better than high-top sneakers, which offer no protection and seem to come off immediately in a crash anyway. So if you're considering getting a tall boot or no boot at all, shorter armored boots can be a good compromise.

hayden.
Sep 11, 2007

That's a very good reply, thank you. I'll probably stick to full height boots. I don't want to be a cripple.

Tactical Bonnet
Nov 5, 2005

You'd be distressed too if some pile of bones just told you your favorite hat was stupid.
Can anyone recommend some full height boots that don't look completely ridiculous? I've been wearing my old surplus Air Force boots to ride in, and they'll provide next to zero protection, I think.

Terminus Est
Sep 30, 2005

Motorcycle Miliitia

Tactical Bonnet posted:

Can anyone recommend some full height boots that don't look completely ridiculous? I've been wearing my old surplus Air Force boots to ride in, and they'll provide next to zero protection, I think.

I guess it depends on how you define ridiculous, but I just picked up a pair of Sidi Saber MX boots for street riding. They come almost up the bottom of my knee right next to the knee pads in my riding pants. My legs feel like tanks with them on I couldn't be happier with them. I wore them around the house for a few days to break them in and today I went out for a good hundred mile ride and they were very comfortable on my Honda 599. I wouldn't wear them to a meeting or walk around all day in them, but I think they're pretty bad rear end in the Mad Max kind of way.

$175 here: http://www.rockymoto.com/sidi_saber_page.htm

You also might want to look into the Aerostitch Combat boots.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

For the comedy expensive option, I wear my Daytona Evo Sports everywhere and they're loving great. I track in them, have worn them all day at work, and weekend them. They're expensive as all hell though.

Also, I've fallen in love with the AC12 as a track helmet. Sure, it's loud as hell at speed, but i've got earplugs in and it's light and has a massive viewport so i have a good field of vision. Plus you can pick them up for dirt cheap.

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug

Terminus Est posted:

I guess it depends on how you define ridiculous, but I just picked up a pair of Sidi Saber MX boots for street riding. They come almost up the bottom of my knee right next to the knee pads in my riding pants. My legs feel like tanks with them on I couldn't be happier with them. I wore them around the house for a few days to break them in and today I went out for a good hundred mile ride and they were very comfortable on my Honda 599. I wouldn't wear them to a meeting or walk around all day in them, but I think they're pretty bad rear end in the Mad Max kind of way.

Ah, now I like that style right there. Are the boots flexible enough so you can shift easy and get a good feel for the rear brake? I like tall boots but I don't like the fact that most of them are geared towards motocross where being gentle on the rear brake isn't such a huge worry, so they're not very flexible around the ankle.

I just don't want to get something really inflexible and tough to feel out the brake with.

Edit: Jesus my vocabulary is pathetic. "Unflexible" is not a word.

funeral home DJ fucked around with this message at 02:41 on Mar 4, 2008

Terminus Est
Sep 30, 2005

Motorcycle Miliitia

Ripoff posted:

Ah, now I like that style right there. Are the boots flexible enough so you can shift easy and get a good feel for the rear brake? I like tall boots but I don't like the fact that most of them are geared towards motocross where being gentle on the rear brake isn't such a huge worry, so they're not very flexible around the ankle.

I just don't want to get something really inflexible and tough to feel out the brake with.

Edit: Jesus my vocabulary is pathetic. "Unflexible" is not a word.

I think they're flexible enough to suit their intended role. I wouldn't ride a cruiser in them or anything with forward controls, but with my legs slightly tucked up on the raging Hornet they work fine for shifting and braking. I will probably rotate up my shifter one notch though to give a little more room. I'll wait and see how I adjust first though.

Make no mistake, they are no racing boot. The don't have a super thin sole and aren't slanted forward. The quality of feel will be subjective though. The feel is no worse than say a pair of steel-toe work boots.

One thing I've noticed is that as I've worn them around the house they've started to loosen up enough that they're becoming more and more flexible as they wear in. I suspect in a week or so they'll be extremely comfortable. When I first got them I didn't think they would ever work. I'm slowly proving myself wrong.

To me, they just plain feel safer than a pair of race boots. They probably aren't, but they offer an excellent sense of security with your legs all wrapped up nice and snug. Plus the buckles are bitching. They're a size 45 if you want to try them on sometime.

Terminus Est fucked around with this message at 19:30 on Mar 4, 2008

teknicolor
Jul 18, 2004

I Want to Meet That Dad!
Do Da Doo Doo
So I see heel, ankle, and upper shin support, is that all its got? What about inside ankle, or lower shin? It's a big boot, so I would hope more of the leg would be protected. And is there any room up top for people with big calves? How adjustable is it?

Infinotize
Sep 5, 2003

I just nabbed a pair of Kushitani GPR gloves at a local shop. Hooooly poo poo, these are easily the best gloves I've ever worn and they fit perfectly (drat you Held for changing your sizing). They are so crazy I might have to pick up a pair or street/touring gloves just so I don't wear them out too fast =/

Sepist
Dec 26, 2005

FUCK BITCHES, ROUTE PACKETS

Gravy Boat 2k
Can anyone recommend a kind of cheap secondary helmet? Currently I'm using a HJC CL-14 and although I love it, I'd like a second one just incase anyone wants to get a quick ride on the back since so many people are interested. I was thinking of getting a CL-15 since it's in my price range but I figured I'd ask here first.

PlasticSun
Feb 12, 2002

Unnaturally Good

Terminus Est posted:

I also wear MX boots on my street bike and find that they're quite comfortable and they don't look crazy. I wear the Gaerne Explorer http://www.rockymoto.com/gaerne_7_explorer_page.htm and the Gaerne Balence http://www.east-texcycles.com/Boots.html

The explorer is nicer for hiking but has less (none) ankle protection.

Dwight Eisenhower
Jan 24, 2006

Indeed, I think that people want peace so much that one of these days governments had better get out of the way and let them have it.

Infinotize posted:

I just nabbed a pair of Kushitani GPR gloves at a local shop. Hooooly poo poo, these are easily the best gloves I've ever worn and they fit perfectly (drat you Held for changing your sizing). They are so crazy I might have to pick up a pair or street/touring gloves just so I don't wear them out too fast =/

Are they mesh or do they have some insulation? Because I've been looking for a good pair of insulating (really just sealed to wind) gloves.

Also which shop? :stalker:

edit: n/m I just looked up, drat those look nice.

Infinotize
Sep 5, 2003

swanage posted:

Are they mesh or do they have some insulation? Because I've been looking for a good pair of insulating (really just sealed to wind) gloves.

Also which shop? :stalker:

edit: n/m I just looked up, drat those look nice.

There are no air vents but I wouldn't really call them insulated either, although there is a ton of padding throughout the glove. It's been warm the past 2 days here so not sure how they stack up in the cold but they definitely aren't a winter glove. Kinda like an all purpose track glove I guess.

I got them from https://www.motonekoparts.com , which is conveniently located about 15 min from me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dwight Eisenhower
Jan 24, 2006

Indeed, I think that people want peace so much that one of these days governments had better get out of the way and let them have it.

Infinotize posted:

I got them from https://www.motonekoparts.com , which is conveniently located about 15 min from me.
I've driven by their place before but never stopped in I think I will go check them out some time.