Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Van Dis
Jun 19, 2004
The last month has been good to me.

New amp, Orange Tiny Terror:

MBox2 (with ProTools, of course):

Shure SM57:

Two Blue Mic Kiwi mic cables:

Two QuickLok boom stands:

Boss LMB, courtesy of 3toes:

ElectroHarmonix Mini Q-Tron, also from 3toes:

DiMarzio Super Distortion and Air Norton for my RG421:

(except mine are in a custom pink/purple combination :hellyeah: )

Next I'll need a good condenser mic or two...

Van Dis fucked around with this message at 01:36 on Apr 2, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

qball
Aug 1, 2002

You could go and have a bite, and you'd still be hearin' that one.

GrAviTy84 posted:

I think that's the beauty of a strat, it is a workhorse that does pretty much everything well. Clapton and SRV's strats were never really the same throughout their career. Things happen on tour, necks break, electronics fail, you replace them as needed, but they were always still "Lenny" or "Brownie" to their players. I think they are kind of like a best friend that has innumerable personalities and can never die.

Battle scars and repairs are a totally different story.

GrAviTy84 posted:

But then again, replacing a neck, or just pups is one thing, If you replace every part on a strat then it's kind of like in 5 card draw, you should never redraw four, you probably should just fold (i.e. buy a better strat).

That's what I was getting at.

Sorry for the derail

Chalupa Joe
Mar 4, 2007
The effect pedal fairies arrived this morning...

I haven't got any means of recording a sample, so I'll have to defer to EH's demo vid here.
5 O'clock can't come soon enough.

Edit:

So I get it home, and plug it in... My first impression is that it has some major problems with tone sucking. Thinking "I bet this isn't true bypass", I opened it up:

:wtc:

A 3PDT switch, being used as an SPDT.

Chalupa Joe fucked around with this message at 10:03 on Mar 6, 2008

help i am on fire
Nov 3, 2005

Do not eat the DJ!

GrAviTy84 posted:

But then again, replacing a neck, or just pups is one thing, If you replace every part on a strat then it's kind of like in 5 card draw, you should never redraw four, you probably should just fold (i.e. buy a better strat).

Replacing parts as years go on just means it's like the family axe (no pun intended). Sure, it's had five handles and three heads, but it's done it's job perfectly all down the line.

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

The price of meat has just gone up, and your old lady has just gone down

To buy a new guitar outfitted like my strat would cost more than it has cost me to outfit my strat myself. That balance will change when I change the neck, but that's because it's basically the "crowning touch" to make the guitar exactly what I have in mind for it and transcends the usual concerns of price:performance.

It's My Guitar, not a strat or what have you. That's its identity through time, not what it says on the headstock.

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

3toes posted:

I think those are fingerprints/smudges.

Leftover sticker residue that I tried to buff out.

the wizards beard
Apr 15, 2007
Reppin

4 LIFE 4 REAL
I've heard lighter fluid will take that off.

TheJeffers
Jan 31, 2007

Lawl posted:

I think you should get Z-coils :c00l: also any idea what the little toggle switch does?

They're $120 each. :argh:

The mini-toggle on the Comanche enables a neck+bridge combination, which allows for use of all three pickups at once.

Doomy
Oct 19, 2004

the wizards beard posted:

I've heard lighter fluid will take that off.

Goo-Gone works quite well, if you can find it. It cleans everything!

dr cum patrol esq
Sep 3, 2003

A C A B

:350:

Sounds great.

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

Just had to buy this thing:

Roland CUBE 15X

loving neighbors! :argh:

granpa yum
Jul 15, 2004

renraku posted:

Sounds great.

i have that too!! i like it, although the low e sometimes doesn't come through very loud. im not really guitar person so maybe im doing it wrong

Col.Kiwi
Dec 28, 2004
And the grave digger puts on the forceps...

Agreed posted:

It's My Guitar, not a strat or what have you. That's its identity through time, not what it says on the headstock.
So Your Guitar is being-at-hand, whereas the pieces of wood and hardware you have assembled would merely be present-at-hand were you to consider them as such. (We definitely need more philosophy and metaphysics in the ML)

In keeping with this argument, I propose that Your Guitar would still continue being Your Guitar if you replaced 100% of the parts and wood - so long as you played music with it.

Laws, how do you like the Tiny Terror now that you've had it for a little bit?

XYZAB
Jun 29, 2003

HNNNNNGG!!

Chalupa Joe posted:

The effect pedal fairies arrived this morning...

I haven't got any means of recording a sample, so I'll have to defer to EH's demo vid here.
5 O'clock can't come soon enough.

Nice.

I've been thinking, with the G707 I could patch the GR700 into a VG88 with an SBC+, then using a variety of ABY switches, output to a POG or HOG and just go fuckin insane.

Van Dis
Jun 19, 2004

Col.Kiwi posted:

Laws, how do you like the Tiny Terror now that you've had it for a little bit?

It's absolutely perfect for my setup at this point in time. I love the dirty crunch it gives me, and the ability to go from that to clean with two knob twists. For its size, it really can scream.

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Listen, Mr. Kansas Law Dog.
Law don't go around here.
Savvy?
Yay, it's done!

Captain Organ
Sep 9, 2004
cooter. snooper.

Carbohydrates posted:

Yay, it's done!

that is gaudy and wonderful and i love it.

Altered State
Dec 18, 2006

Carbohydrates posted:

Yay, it's done!

I've been waiting to see this thing since you'd mentioned putting it together--it's even better than my imagination! More pics please.

LOO
Mar 5, 2004

Carbohydrates posted:

Yay, it's done!

Dose it come with a fur fedora and a curb-feeler equipped pink Cadillac? ;)

Nice hunk of wood! I see no logo, who makes it?

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Savvy?

LOO posted:

Dose it come with a fur fedora and a curb-feeler equipped pink Cadillac? ;)

Nice hunk of wood! I see no logo, who makes it?
It's a partscaster. Bits and pieces from all over. And yeah, it's gonna be pretty drat polarizing because a lot of people are gonna hate all the unnecessary visual crap but I'm quite fine with that.

ZombiePeanut
May 11, 2007

by Fistgrrl
Well, I still think the engraving looks dorky and that you should have gone with gold hardware, it's alright besides that. The black string posts are a nice touch.

Run Dodo Run
Oct 7, 2006

I'm not a fan of the engraved hardware but I think if any body/pickguard could pull it off, that does.

Exploded
Sep 13, 2002
I TAKE ATTRROCIOUS AMMMOUNTS OF ACID SO EVERYBODY will LIKE IT AND BE FNIE
gently caress yeah that tele rocks
I knew it was gonna kick rear end
Matching neck pickup cover is a beautiful touch

PenguinBob
Oct 12, 2000

ZombiePeanut posted:

you should have gone with gold hardware

this monitor might be lovely but it looks gold to me...

ZombiePeanut
May 11, 2007

by Fistgrrl

PenguinBob posted:

I'm pretty sure it's just the lighting across the body and silver being fairly reflective. Look at the tuners. He said he didn't want gold before when he was talking about it.

Ichron
May 6, 2007

It's hip to be square.

PenguinBob posted:

He posted pictures of it before, it's silver.

Houdini
Sep 13, 2007

Official terrible game purchaser of the SomethingAwful forums.

I've ordered one of these and it should be here very soon. It's a Laney VC15-110.

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Savvy?

Ichron posted:

He posted pictures of it before, it's silver.
Yep! I think, and this is going to sound insane considering the guitar we're talking about, gold would have been over the top.

Materials: Ash body, burled maple top, flamed maple neck, graphite nut
Hardware: Engraved nickel, Planet Waves tuners, Dunlop strap locks, vintage small frets
Electronics: Lindy Fralin Blues Specials, 4-way switch mod, Les Paul jack

Los Padre
Mar 26, 2007

Los Padre is an interesting and sensitive fellow.

Carbohydrates posted:

beauty

I was just talking about El Dorado's stuff in another thread, and this... is beautiful.

toadee
Aug 16, 2003

North American Turtle Boy Love Association

Just got these two in the mail:

Suit & Tie Guy "Post Lawsuit Low Pass Filter". So named because it is a ahem "tribute" to the original ARP 4072 filter, which was ARP's modification of their transistor ladder design that got them sued by Moog for patent infringement. As it turns out the 4072 was exactly what ARP needed -- different. It in no way sounds like a Moog ladder. Where the Moog is fat and creamy, the 4072 sounds harsh and biting.

This was actually kind of a bonus, the guy I ordered the above filter from had some unforeseen delays in getting it done, so he offered me a substantial discount on this module and I couldn't pass it up. It's a gate delay designed by Yves Usson, basically does what it says -- delays an incoming gate signal. It has slew outputs so it can also be used as a delayed AD envelope.

emilbus
May 30, 2001

Diduuh diduuh.
Hello mixer. I guess I have no excuse not to record anything anymore.

THNDRTHF
Apr 14, 2004

so much for
bein' optimistic
i just bought cubase 4 and ableton 7.

you know what they look like but drat it feels good to hold a little paper box that cost more than my car...

Schatten
Jul 7, 2002

Das ist nicht meine
schnellen Rennwagen
I uhhhh skipped out on the Reverend & Telecaster buys and opted for something to round out my P-bass, Jazz-bass, Tobias and Ibanez sound with something... else.

The Book I Read
Jan 15, 2008
Have to sing about it.

Schatten posted:

I uhhhh skipped out on the Reverend & Telecaster buys and opted for something to round out my P-bass, Jazz-bass, Tobias and Ibanez sound with something... else.

Oh God, I need one in Midnight Blue so bad.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

Schatten posted:

you son of a bitch

Schatten
Jul 7, 2002

Das ist nicht meine
schnellen Rennwagen

The Book I Read posted:

Oh God, I need one in Midnight Blue so bad.
I love the midnight blue! My favorite would be the all black hardware and all black body. However, this is a studio only used / never gigged 2007 4003. This isn't vintage, but it has the same style and sound and will be a bass I'll take to gigs and also an investment for the future.

3toes posted:

you son of a bitch
Don't give me that crap! =) You had to post the POG! And it took me less than a day to order one up for myself! (worked great at a gig last Saturday too!)

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe

emilbus posted:

Hello mixer. I guess I have no excuse not to record anything anymore.

Gorgeous show of lights. And a Monomachine, too, niiice :).

$iMpLe posted:

i just bought cubase 4 and ableton 7.

you know what they look like but drat it feels good to hold a little paper box that cost more than my car...
Congrats - but why'd you get both? Or one for the laptop and the other for more "serious" production?

Juaguocio
Jun 5, 2005

Oh, David...

Schatten posted:

Goddammit, why must everyone buy the exact things that I want but can't afford...

The Huntsman
Dec 15, 2004

This one is for all my little friends, you know who you are...

Yoozer posted:

Congrats - but why'd you get both? Or one for the laptop and the other for more "serious" production?

Thats why I am getting Live and I have Cubase 4 already. One for studio, one for live shows. Now I just need a laptop.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alfa Tard
Sep 30, 2002

Stoopid Noobie

Schatten posted:

beautiful. just, beautiful.