Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

The price of meat has just gone up, and your old lady has just gone down

I got the GLS Audio ES-57 and Warehouse Guitar Speakers Veteran 30s in yesterday.

The speakers will require a break-in period to reach their nominal values, but they already sound better than the English V30s they replaced. I will be ordering two more to replace the remaining Celestions. That's right, I'm kicking expensive well-regarded speakers out of my cab to replace them with speakers you can get for $45 all day long. The V30s won't go to waste, though - I'm going to be making a vertical 2x12 to put under my THD Univalve, and it really likes the V30s.

The GLS Audio ES-57is phenomenal as well. It is very similar to my friend's SM-57 in its tonal response, with a bit more bass and a milder presence spike. This makes it a better mic, in my opinion, for recording distorted guitar, since it helps to reduce fizz without diminishing the clarity of the tone. It also warms up acoustic instruments a bit. On the whole, I'd say its total frequency response is actually a bit flatter than the characteristically bright Shure SM-57, if you were to average its total deviance from 0db. Generally it's a bit warmer, but not very much, and it doesn't have quite as exaggerated of a high frequency response. Still, it definitely has a very strong "SM-57" flavor, which makes sense as it's basically a lightly modified ripoff. It is SUCH a step up from my incredibly sensitive condensers when it comes to recording guitar amps, too - I don't have to worry about clipping the mic and getting awful compression and fizz. Just point it where you want to (I tend to mic rather close to the edge, and off axis), set your levels, and let it rip.

That said, I don't think the ES-57 is a replacement for the SM-57. They are very similar but they are different enough that it would be worth having both of them in your locker for recording guitar. I actually prefer the ES-57, but I play mostly high gain stuff and the SM-57 can sound a bit brittle without careful attention to the whole recording process and further studio work to sculpt the EQ. I can't comment on the ES-57's reliability, obviously, but it is as heavy and as sturdy-looking and sturdy-feeling as the SM-57, for what it's worth.

You can get ten ES-57 or ES-58 for $200, or you can buy one for the normal price of $29.99 and get another for $19.99 on the same checkout. I am going to be picking up another ES-57 for stereo close mic'ing my cabs, and I'll add an ES-58 for $19.99 on the same cart for vocals.

As usual, expect clips of this stuff in the next few days.

If you find my raving about this incredibly low priced gear unbelievable, I encourage you to try it out for yourself. You can definitely afford it, and I think you will be very impressed.

https://www.warehouseguitarspeakers.com sells the Veteran 30 (and a number of other modified clones), and I got the ES-57 from https://www.speakerrepair.com.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Col.Kiwi
Dec 28, 2004
And the grave digger puts on the forceps...

Agreed posted:

blah blah blah clone mic at least as good as a real Shure for what i'm doing with it anyway

You can get ten ES-57 or ES-58 for $200, or you can buy one for the normal price of $29.99 and get another for $19.99 on the same checkout.
Waitaminute waitaminute waitaminute. These are like twenty bucks? I'm pretty sure I'm gonna need to get one of these and hear for myself. Coming from the guy who got me to try GFS, I see promise in these cheap mics of which you speak.

Schatten that bass everybody's drooling over sure is beautiful, but what the hell's happening around the bridge pickup there?

edit: man I haven't posted any of my own poo poo in this thread in a while. I got this guitar at xmas, but just put in the pickups a couple weeks ago and turned it into a much more useful axe. Duncan SH-2n Jazz in the neck, GFS Dream 180 bridge.

Some other recent history, got this uh a month or two ago:

And just the other day my 1SPOT pedal power supply came in the mail. I'm not posting a photo because it's a goddamn adapter, what do you want from me

Col.Kiwi fucked around with this message at 07:20 on Mar 8, 2008

internet celebrity
Jun 23, 2006

College Slice
God must love me right now....

So I was on vacation in Milwaukee for spring break and figured I'd swing by the Guitar Center since I had never been to a real music store. I've been amp shopping for quite some time now, probably a few months, and finally got to trying some amps. I mostly play headbanging heavy metal with some southern flavor, so I need something that can put out a solid wall of distorted tone while remaining somewhat in my limited part-time budget. The B-52 AT series caught my attention immediately. It sounded like a Mesa Dual Rec but it was about a third of the price. I'm not a huge tone perfectionist nerd, so I usually go for the knock-off that sounds just like the real thing.

Just today I look on craigslist and see the exact B-52 half stack I want for 500 bucks (it goes for a grand new). I just called the guy a minute ago and I'm going to go check it out tonight.

And just to keep my post legit, here's some eye candy:

Ator
Oct 1, 2005

My Thingamagoop game in the mail yesterday!

This is what they sound like.

I have named mine Pasquale.

Also pictured: my beautiful keyboard purchased through RivensBitch. :wooper:

I'm kicking myself now for not buying monitors through him...

Gorewar
Dec 24, 2004

Bang your head
Music Man Sub Sterling Bass

I'm playing this through an ampeg SVT 4-Pro & 8x10 cab. It is a blowjob for the ears. Well, it's better than the epiphone explorer that I was playing, anyway.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Raze
Aug 13, 2005

I'M GOING HOME.
I've finally amassed some actual non-distortion pedals. For the longest time that's all I'd buy, and I decided I got tired of messing around with that. It also helps that I've now got EMGs in both of my guitars, which apparently makes my Rocktron Pro GAP sound amazing. Here's what I got, all off eBay (Click for huge):

All true bypass (I think), which is great. The #1 Echo works great and does everything I want and nothing more. I don't need loops, etc. The Crybaby is wonderfully simple, the Hyperion is amazing (http://www.deviever.com). The FL9 is apparently a vintage, which makes the deal I got even sweeter. Though it was having some weird volume stuff when I first plugged it in (which I think may have been the cable).

Now I need good cables/patch cables. I'll probably need an A/B pedal and a joiner, as well, since apparently the Pro GAP is too noisy/weird for the Hyperion even on it's Flat setting. Any suggestions?

Susano-maku da!
Nov 12, 2003

Hi. Did you order the Mongolian… Beef?
Hey Hyperion buddy. It's sounds incredible with the Control knob up, doesn't it? Gives a nasty, dynamically compressed buzz, I love it.

flummox
Jul 17, 2004
I want a shoehorn, the kind with teeth.

Aenovae posted:

My Thingamagoop game in the mail yesterday!

This is what they sound like.

OK, THAT is just loving cool.

Raze
Aug 13, 2005

I'M GOING HOME.

Susano-maku da! posted:

Hey Hyperion buddy. It's sounds incredible with the Control knob up, doesn't it? Gives a nasty, dynamically compressed buzz, I love it.

Absolutely. I only got it cause you won yours. I had no idea who Devi was before that. I kind of want to get something with single coils to run through it, though, since humbuckers seem like a bit too much output for it.

internet celebrity
Jun 23, 2006

College Slice
Holy poo poo, the tone of this amp is heavier than the girl I lost my virginity to. I might be able to get some pictures of the actual thing tonight. It's in pretty rough shape (tears in the vinyl and such) but gently caress it, the previous owner replaced the cheap Chinese tubes and it sounds like heaven (hell).

Quickie sample:

Setup is Schecter S-1 Elite w/ a Dimebucker in the bridge to B-52 AT-100 amp and cab with a BBE 362 Sonic Maximizer in the effects loop.

Next purchase is the Alesis 3630 noise gate/compressor and an EQ for the effects loop.

edit: hurrah, picture:

internet celebrity fucked around with this message at 05:47 on Mar 10, 2008

Ichron
May 6, 2007

It's hip to be square.

Aenovae posted:

I had a friend named Pasquale that I played WoW with who got shot and killed by some guys when he was trying to defend his girlfriend from being raped by them. :smith:

BusinessWallet
Sep 13, 2005
Today has been the most perfect day I have ever seen

Schatten posted:

I uhhhh skipped out on the Reverend & Telecaster buys and opted for something to round out my P-bass, Jazz-bass, Tobias and Ibanez sound with something... else.

how wide is the neck compared to a p-bass? i have trouble wrapping my hands around my p-bass so I'm going short scale.

Mike N Eich
Jan 27, 2007

This might just be the year

BusinessWallet posted:

how wide is the neck compared to a p-bass? i have trouble wrapping my hands around my p-bass so I'm going short scale.

This is an issue with me, also. I'm going to be buying a new bass soon and a smaller neck is pretty important. I really like the feel of the Jazz neck, hows the Bongo neck as well?

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

Mike N Eich posted:

This is an issue with me, also. I'm going to be buying a new bass soon and a smaller neck is pretty important. I really like the feel of the Jazz neck, hows the Bongo neck as well?

Bongo is wider at the nut than the Jazz but slightly thinner than the P. Radius is 11" on the bongo, 9.5" on both fenders.

That metal dude
Mar 7, 2007

I call out to the beasts of the sea! To come forth and join us! This night is yours!

hamaien posted:

Holy poo poo, the tone of this amp is heavier than the girl I lost my virginity to. I might be able to get some pictures of the actual thing tonight. It's in pretty rough shape (tears in the vinyl and such) but gently caress it, the previous owner replaced the cheap Chinese tubes and it sounds like heaven (hell).

Quickie sample:

Setup is Schecter S-1 Elite w/ a Dimebucker in the bridge to B-52 AT-100 amp and cab with a BBE 362 Sonic Maximizer in the effects loop.

Next purchase is the Alesis 3630 noise gate/compressor and an EQ for the effects loop.

This is an amazing sounding amp. Thanks for the clip. I'm looking into a Peavey 6505 but if I can find a deal like you got I'd probably buy the B52 first.

internet celebrity
Jun 23, 2006

College Slice

That metal dude posted:

This is an amazing sounding amp. Thanks for the clip. I'm looking into a Peavey 6505 but if I can find a deal like you got I'd probably buy the B52 first.

Hell yeah, I'd recommend it to anybody who's into metal.

Also, the clean tones are amazing for the type of amp it is. Maybe I'll get a clip tonight.

edit: here we are:

Clean Channel with a bit of chorus and 'verb from the Zoom. Neck pickup with tone and volume rolled off to about 7ish

internet celebrity fucked around with this message at 06:30 on Mar 10, 2008

That metal dude
Mar 7, 2007

I call out to the beasts of the sea! To come forth and join us! This night is yours!

hamaien posted:

Hell yeah, I'd recommend it to anybody who's into metal.

Also, the clean tones are amazing for the type of amp it is. Maybe I'll get a clip tonight.

edit: here we are:

Clean Channel with a bit of chorus and 'verb from the Zoom. Neck pickup with tone and volume rolled off to about 7ish

Sounds nice man. Kind of reminds me of Call of the Kthulu type sound.

Revvik
Jul 29, 2006
Fun Shoe

Agile Valkyrie Prestige. Seems good. Although now I'll be waiting on it to get here.

Schatten
Jul 7, 2002

Das ist nicht meine
schnellen Rennwagen
The Ric arrives on Wednesday, maybe Thursday. But I'm so busy with SXSW I will not be able to give a proper review until next week. What I do know, the neck is thinner, or rather narrower than the P bass and J neck. It is more consistent similar to an old 80's Carvin I had; nut and 20th fret will be very similar in width.

P bass necks are not my thing. However, I do have a Highway 1 P bass which has a slightly thinner neck - not quite a Jazz neck but close! I'm not a P bass person, but the P bass is what is used on my last 6 months of gigging once or twice a month and recording. I prefer J basses, the feel, etc... but something called me towards the Ric and the funds were there, so I know I will not loose out if I'm not happy a year down the line.

Los Padre
Mar 26, 2007

Los Padre is an interesting and sensitive fellow.

Schatten posted:

The Ric arrives on Wednesday, maybe Thursday. But I'm so busy with SXSW I will not be able to give a proper review until next week...

I'll bite. Does that mean playing at SXSW?

Schatten
Jul 7, 2002

Das ist nicht meine
schnellen Rennwagen

Los Padre posted:

I'll bite. Does that mean playing at SXSW?
Not this year. I've played during various day shows, free shows for the past few years, but this year I'll be managing a stage downtown. Since I will only get to see the bands at my single venue, I'm reaping the rewards of the privileges while I can. =)

Ville Valo
Sep 17, 2004

I'm waiting for your call
and I'm ready to take
your six six six
in my heart
Korg R3

Really fun sounds, lots of great basses, full keys are nice, and the vocoder is ridiculous fun. First thing I learned to play with it is Hide and Seek by Imogen Heap, next up will be some Daft Punk. I'm playing with headphones so all my neighbors get to hear is my horribly off-key singing, but I hear just the beautiful vocoder sounds. :D

But wait, I didn't really buy the R3 to play on... I bought it to supply sounds for...

My Roland AX-1! With awesome black-marble finish, just tacky enough to be perfect for my tastes. Sweet jesus this thing is fun.

Next up is a two-channel keyboard amp so I can get my Roland V-Drums in as well as these babies, and actually make some noise.

That metal dude
Mar 7, 2007

Revvik posted:

Agile Valkyrie Prestige. Seems good. Although now I'll be waiting on it to get here.

These look less ugly in your picture then on the website. It looks more like an ESP Viper.

Gary the Llama
Mar 16, 2007
SHIGERU MIYAMOTO IS MY ILLEGITIMATE FATHER!!!

Ville Valo posted:

Korg R3

Really fun sounds, lots of great basses, full keys are nice, and the vocoder is ridiculous fun. First thing I learned to play with it is Hide and Seek by Imogen Heap, next up will be some Daft Punk. I'm playing with headphones so all my neighbors get to hear is my horribly off-key singing, but I hear just the beautiful vocoder sounds. :D

Can you post some samples? I'd like to buy my first synth at some point and have been admiring the R3. (Synth and vocoder samples would be great.)

Ville Valo
Sep 17, 2004

I'm waiting for your call
and I'm ready to take
your six six six
in my heart

Gary the Llama posted:

Can you post some samples? I'd like to buy my first synth at some point and have been admiring the R3. (Synth and vocoder samples would be great.)

There's some samples up on YouTube; I don't actually have a method of getting anything onto my PC right now but that is a plan for the near future. I think all it will take is a cable purchase.

Uncle Caveman
Jun 16, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

Col.Kiwi posted:

Schatten that bass everybody's drooling over sure is beautiful, but what the hell's happening around the bridge pickup there?
Rickenbacker 4003 basses have a hand rest/cover thing over the bridge pickup.

Schatten
Jul 7, 2002

Das ist nicht meine
schnellen Rennwagen

Uncle Caveman posted:

Rickenbacker 4003 basses have a hand rest/cover thing over the bridge pickup.
It is included with the purchase, along with a replacement hipshot bridge - both unused. I'll take pics when it comes in.

SuperMxyz
Feb 26, 2003
oops
Guess I'm the only one?

2008 Ibanez SV5470
24 frets
Brand new pickup models
HSH pickups can all be used as single coil w/ push knob
made in japan (was made in korea for a long time until 2008)
New tremolo system (double-locking available on S5470)

SuperMxyz fucked around with this message at 22:17 on Mar 10, 2008

krisis
Oct 25, 2003

i have a light case of asparagus.
Bought a new guitar last friday, and only got a chance to get proper pics of it now.

It's an Ibanez RGR320EX, built in 2007, Next to my old axe "Merethe"
Neck feels great, Bridge is good (doesn't measure up to a real floyd, but it's close) and the pickups are pretty good for stock.

Here's a closer look at the finish.

The picture doesn't do it justice, but the finish looks like it's rough tarmac.
Next paycheck, I'm Putting real EMGs in it.

an AOL chatroom
Oct 3, 2002

I made a few trades and ended up with a Peavey Classic 30 (and something else very nice that I'll post tomorrow). Came with the footswitch and cover, and is in absolutely perfect shape. I'm really digging the tone, and am dying to try it out at band volumes.

pennywisdom
Mar 21, 2004

hamaien posted:

Quickie sample:

I loving loooove this.

gotly
Oct 28, 2007
Economy-Sized
Blackheart 5 watt combo amp.

Here it is again with my Ibanez ARC100.

I made a post in the review thread about the Blackheart, if anyone has any questions I'd be happy to answer them. I know a few people were interested in it a while back.

Schatten
Jul 7, 2002

Das ist nicht meine
schnellen Rennwagen

gotly posted:

Blackheart 5 watt combo amp.

Here it is again with my Ibanez ARC100.

I made a post in the review thread about the Blackheart, if anyone has any questions I'd be happy to answer them. I know a few people were interested in it a while back.
Thanks for the review. I noticed these at GC a few weeks ago. Who makes them? Is it a sub-company somewhere? Where are they made and all that jazz?

gotly
Oct 28, 2007
Economy-Sized
It's a joint effort between Crate and some other company. Made in China but the guy who designed the amp apparently doesn't let one get out the door before he makes sure the manufacturing process is up to his standards. I heard some people talking about replacing the tubes right away because they were "crappy Chinese ones" but they sound great to me.

The manual is on this site along with the official specs.

edit: had wrong link.

gotly fucked around with this message at 05:55 on Mar 11, 2008

Juaguocio
Jun 5, 2005

Oh, David...
Just ordered an Avatar B212 Neo from steamcomusic.com. Finally, I won't have to play through a Rumble 60 anymore.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

Mighty Scoop posted:

Just ordered an Avatar B212 Neo from steamcomusic.com. Finally, I won't have to play through a Rumble 60 anymore.

What kind of amp-head did you get for it?

XYZAB
Jun 29, 2003

HNNNNNGG!!

3toes posted:

What kind of amp-head did you get for it?

:cb:

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight
:confused:

Not trying to start an amp-war here, just curious :)

dr cum patrol esq
Sep 3, 2003

A C A B

:350:

Handen posted:

:cb:

3toes posted:

:confused:

Not trying to start an amp-war here, just curious :)

Yeah, I'm curious about the clown balloon myself. What was the fa paux?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

internet celebrity
Jun 23, 2006

College Slice

renraku posted:

Yeah, I'm curious about the clown balloon myself. What was the fa paux?

Maybe it was the 'Did you get head' thing.