Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

The Human Crouton posted:

I made mine up, but the fact that you believed that it was a real topic for the show shows just how retarded this show is, and how little faith we have in it.

Seriously, with some of their past ideas it wasn't implausible at all. I could see someone doing something similar in one of those smoke vortex machines and going "dude the principle's the same, just scale it up!" References to Superman IV would seal the deal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Memory
Jul 10, 2001

Ah, fuck the end of the world.

I made mine up, but the fact that you believed that it was a real topic for the show shows just how retarded this show is, and how little faith we have in it.
If they start doing things this appallingly dumb, I'll tune in every week for it.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I didn't even bat an eye, that's how dumb this show is.

IfYouSeeKay
Jul 21, 2003

I want to feel you from the inside

Next week, they are going to see if they can evolve into salamanders by going Warp 10 with a solar-powered steamboat.

Free Market Gravy
Sep 17, 2005

McSpanky posted:

Seriously, with some of their past ideas it wasn't implausible at all.

I've only seen one episode and previews and I believed it was real enough. Smash Lab is loving atrocious and the fact that someone at Discovery thought it was a good idea to take everything that sucks about Mythbusters, amplify it 100x and turn it into its own show boggles the mind.

ANGRY VIRGIN GAMER
Jul 5, 2007

by The Finn

Free Market Gravy posted:

I've only seen one episode and previews and I believed it was real enough. Smash Lab is loving atrocious and the fact that someone at Discovery thought it was a good idea to take everything that sucks about Mythbusters, amplify it 100x and turn it into its own show boggles the mind.

How did the pitch for Smash Lab go, I wonder?

"It's Mythbusters, but with incredibly retarded ideas, completely unlikable hosts, and all under the pretense that we're helping the world somehow! Also put in a bunch of slow-motion replays."

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together

Filthy Assistant posted:

dEar DIScoveRY ChanNeL ExeCUTives,

if you EVER want to sEE youR famILIes agAIN...

jm3000
Jan 19, 2004

Pancake Dance Party
Nap Ghost

Filthy Assistant posted:

"Ryobi will pay us big bucks to sponsor a show similar to Myterbusters, but prominently features their tools, and our focus groups really like it."

Noghri_ViR
Oct 19, 2001

Your party has died.
Please press [ENTER] to continue to the
Las Vegas Bowl

IfYouSeeKay posted:

The idea for this week was to stop bank robbers by creating huge sand pits around banks and blowing air through the sand. This will create "fluidized sand" and trap the thieves.

God I can't wait to see them try to launch themselves to the moon using nothing but a giant rubber band and strap on rocket. Something like this:

ANGRY VIRGIN GAMER
Jul 5, 2007

by The Finn

Noghri_ViR posted:

God I can't wait to see them try to launch themselves to the moon using nothing but a giant rubber band and strap on rocket. Something like this:

Next week they try to lure Adam and Jamie under an anvil with some birdseed.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Filthy Assistant posted:

Next week they try to lure Adam and Jamie under an anvil with some birdseed.

But the Anvil will be held in place by a gigantic wad of bubblegum, because that would be a safer way than a crane to hold an anvil because the cables could snap and hurt someone, but bubblegum will stretch instead!

max4me
Jun 15, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
AAAhah I knew a goon was working on this show admit it

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Does anyone remember that show that was basically "strap rockets to stuff"? It was kind of like smash labs, but with less helping the world and more rockets. They got a task at the start, and maybe there were two teams and they they launched cars and stuff at the end. Still pretty mediocre though. I just can't remember the name.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC

smackfu posted:

Does anyone remember that show that was basically "strap rockets to stuff"? It was kind of like smash labs, but with less helping the world and more rockets. They got a task at the start, and maybe there were two teams and they they launched cars and stuff at the end. Still pretty mediocre though. I just can't remember the name.

I remember it. They still occasionally give it on the Science Channel I think. I don't remember the name, but your description is right on. One of the main guys is the dude that helps the Mythbusters with all of their rocket related myths.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

jm3000 posted:

"Ryobi will pay us big bucks to sponsor a show similar to Myterbusters, but prominently features their tools, and our focus groups really like it."

Having learned this, I'm surprised Nintendo didn't buy them off for a special tie-in episode to commemorate Super Smash Bros. Brawl last week. Setting traps at a construction site to stop a barrel-throwing ape from kidnapping your girlfriend wouldn't be the dumbest idea this show's tried.

IfYouSeeKay
Jul 21, 2003

ToastyPotato posted:

I remember it. They still occasionally give it on the Science Channel I think. I don't remember the name, but your description is right on. One of the main guys is the dude that helps the Mythbusters with all of their rocket related myths.

Its Master Blasters. Its not a bad show, but all you really need is the last 5 minutes for the launch. Everything before that is a circle jerk and all I see is a scruffy goatee on the screen jabbering away.

ANGRY VIRGIN GAMER
Jul 5, 2007

by The Finn

McSpanky posted:

Having learned this, I'm surprised Nintendo didn't buy them off for a special tie-in episode to commemorate Super Smash Bros. Brawl last week. Setting traps at a construction site to stop a barrel-throwing ape from kidnapping your girlfriend wouldn't be the dumbest idea this show's tried.

No, it would be about go-karts launching shells and bananas.

LordOfThePants
Sep 25, 2002

[whispering]New episodes of Future Weapons start tonight at 8[/whispering]

I never really found it that interesting, it's decent background filler TV if you can ignore the host.

Darth Freddy
Feb 6, 2007

An Emperor's slightest dislike is transmitted to those who serve him, and there it is amplified into rage.
Why the gently caress am I watching smash lab and who in their right mind thinks bird shot is anything like shrapnel. For fucks sake unless its drat near point blank bird shot is just going to piss some one off really badly.

Oh I see the problem, smash lab!

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

ToastyPotato posted:

I remember it. They still occasionally give it on the Science Channel I think.
Thanks, adding Science Channel was enough to get Google working. It was Master Blasters, on Sci-fi originally, and only actually had 4 episodes.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Master_Blasters_%28TV_series%29

CygnusTM
Oct 11, 2002

smackfu posted:

Thanks, adding Science Channel was enough to get Google working. It was Master Blasters, on Sci-fi originally, and only actually had 4 episodes.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Master_Blasters_%28TV_series%29
That Wikipedia entry seems to be somewhat out of date. A previously unaired episode, "Fans of Fury," was on Science last night, and, judging from the schedule, there will be new episodes for the next few weeks on Tuesdays at 10p.

SA Forums RSS - GBS - Games - SH/SC - TV IV - SA-Mart - D&D - Ask/Tell - Coupons - Others

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CygnusTM posted:

That Wikipedia entry seems to be somewhat out of date. A previously unaired episode, "Fans of Fury," was on Science last night, and, judging from the schedule, there will be new episodes for the next few weeks on Tuesdays at 10p.

Well poo poo, why not just bring the show back and replace Smash Lab with it?

Hawkman
Aug 6, 2002

daaaaaaaaaaaaaamn

jm3000 posted:

"Ryobi will pay us big bucks to sponsor a show similar to Myterbusters, but prominently features their tools, and our focus groups* really like it."
*"focus group" was a single rhesus monkey and the gauge of how much he liked it was a handful of poo poo flung at a dartboard

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Hawkman posted:

*"focus group" was a single rhesus monkey and the gauge of how much he liked it was a handful of poo poo flung at a dartboard

Which subsequently became the storyboard for the first episode.

Hawkman
Aug 6, 2002

daaaaaaaaaaaaaamn

IRQ posted:

Which subsequently became the storyboard for the first episode.
Can you protect a car from a high-speed collision with nothing but a pallet of compacted monkey poo poo, free from the zoo?

BEAR GRYLLZ
Jul 30, 2006

I have strong erections for Israel.
Strong, pathetic erections.

Why would you drop a wooden loving boat from a plane instead of a typical rubber life raft? :psyduck:

Top Bunk Wanker
Jan 31, 2005

Top Trump Anger
Is anybody watching Ax Man on the History Channel?

XK
Jul 9, 2001

Star Citizen is everywhere. It is all around us. Even now, in this very room. You can see it's fidelity when you look out your window or when you watch youtube

These people are severely retarded. They want cavitation, and a smooth, soft impact. The energy needed to cause cavitation rules out a soft impact. These Smash Lab folks are completely brain-dead. Why can't you just drop a self-inflating raft, with a parachute if necessary? Cavitiation, launch ramps extending out of planes, aerating the water, what?

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

XK posted:

These people are severely retarded. They want cavitation, and a smooth, soft impact. The energy needed to cause cavitation rules out a soft impact. These Smash Lab folks are completely brain-dead. Why can't you just drop a self-inflating raft, with a parachute if necessary? Cavitiation, launch ramps extending out of planes, aerating the water, what?

The whole idea is retardedly pointless anyway. Why would you need a droppable manned rescue boat? Even if you did, assuming the person on board is a doctor or some crap like that, why wouldn't you just parachute them in?

I hate this show and everyone involved with it so very much.

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 20 days!

Hawkman posted:

Next time, on DethLab: Pickles covers the tour bus in pillows in an attempt to see how many soft things it will take before it is safe to speed through a crowded crosswalk at 60MPH!

(clip of pillow-covered Dethklok tour bus screaming through intersection, body parts fly everywhere)

Nathan: WHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAT

This would be much more entertaining than the last few episodes of Metalocalypse, at least. Also I'm sure Nathan's response would be AWWWWWWWWE SOOOOOOOOOOME!

Edit:

Futureweapons has become a bit more tolerable, what with Mack not whispering all the time. poo poo, I think he even laughs now.

IfYouSeeKay
Jul 21, 2003

The following is on the wikipedia page for Smash Lab.

wikipedia posted:

Despite a very negative response to the show from Discovery Viewers a second series has been comissioned from Darlow Smithson (the UK based production company).

This show isn't even worth watching for the comedy anymore. Its just painful. I wonder if they use dartboards or spinning wheels to match up the "problems" and "solutions".

CaptainCrunch
Mar 19, 2006
droppin Hamiltons!

Capn Beeb posted:

Futureweapons has become a bit more tolerable, what with Mack not whispering all the time. poo poo, I think he even laughs now.

Yeah, but based on the Israeli special I saw last night, he has this weird inflection he puts in everything he says. It sounds like he's winding up to gently caress whatever weapon he's talking about.

I like the gear, but he's creeping me out.

Darth Freddy
Feb 6, 2007

An Emperor's slightest dislike is transmitted to those who serve him, and there it is amplified into rage.

Capn Beeb posted:

This would be much more entertaining than the last few episodes of Metalocalypse, at least. Also I'm sure Nathan's response would be AWWWWWWWWE SOOOOOOOOOOME!

Edit:

Now instead of whispering he lets out this little bemused laugh every time he talks about the weapon in question being so awesome. Dude still blinks and flinches when ever he fires a drat gun.

Either way I would loving kill to have his job.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

IfYouSeeKay posted:

The following is on the wikipedia page for Smash Lab.

This show isn't even worth watching for the comedy anymore. Its just painful. I wonder if they use dartboards or spinning wheels to match up the "problems" and "solutions".

This is fantastically depressing news. It's nice to know time slots and money for GOOD, EDUCATIONAL or just plain entertaining shows are going to another season Smash Lab.

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

I'm your friend and I'm not going to just stand by and let you do this!

CaptainCrunch posted:

Yeah, but based on the Israeli special I saw last night, he has this weird inflection he puts in everything he says. It sounds like he's winding up to gently caress whatever weapon he's talking about.

I like the gear, but he's creeping me out.

In the episodes I've seen, he sounds like he's getting off on the script he's narrating.

Free Market Gravy
Sep 17, 2005

ToastyPotato posted:

This is fantastically depressing news. It's nice to know time slots and money for GOOD, EDUCATIONAL or just plain entertaining shows are going to another season Smash Lab.

I can honestly say, with 100% certainty, I'd rather watch Mike Rowe read instruction manuals for heavy equipment for an hour than Smash Lab.

Darth Freddy
Feb 6, 2007

Free Market Gravy posted:

I can honestly say, with 100% certainty, I'd rather watch Mike Rowe read instruction manuals for heavy equipment for an hour than Smash Lab.

To be honest I would just rather watch that guy do anything.

Looking at tonight’s episode of Smash Lab I have to think this is nothing but an elaborate troll against Myth Busters. “hey guys remember when myth busters proved quick sand wasn’t real? Well lets take that idea, and…are you ready for this? Make poo poo sink in the sand!”

Also I’m glad to know these sand traps will not also keep out robbers but wheel chairs too!

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

They should make a new Mike Rowe show just called "Jobs."

He's genuinely what makes Dirty Jobs as good as it is anyway, not that the jobs are dirty, so just let him do any old thing. I'd watch.

Darth Freddy
Feb 6, 2007

IRQ posted:

He's genuinely what makes Dirty Jobs as good as it is anyway, not that the jobs are dirty, so just let him do any old thing. I'd watch.

This would only work if the first episode was a QVC special.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

IRQ posted:

I'd love to see Mike Rowe filing reports at an insurance company and being like "remember that one time I was diving in poisonous human waste? Yeah, I kind of miss that now."

• Locked thread