Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I dreamt I was an old dog, stuck in a honeypot. It was horrifying.

Mighty Scoop posted:

2000 Mexican Fender Precision Special. Needs to have the pots replaced, but other than that it was a steal for $300. I love craigslist. Pardon the loose string ends; I just set it up for C standard/drop Bb.

I have a slightly different version of that same bass (rosewood board and a bit newer so it has the crappy active preamp) and holy poo poo do I love it to death.

I rock that poo poo with flats, too. :whatup:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

reversefungi
Nov 27, 2003

Master of the high hat!

Catastrophe posted:

This may be cheating since it isn't the LAST thing I purchased but it is a recent purchase..

You may never see one of these again. If you don't know the story of Matamp you may want to read this story. From what I'm told, only 21 Matamp Roadsters made it to the USA and most of those were combo versions of the amp instead of these head versions. All hand-made from start to finish, 120W, single channel, EL34 based. It's kind of a higher gain version of the Matamp GTL you hear on.. well, pretty much every stoner/doom metal album ever. The only other one I've ever seen for sale was the one the guitarist from Electric Wizard sold recently. Anyway:

Oh god that thing is amazing. Please post clips when you can

Catastrophe
Oct 5, 2007

Committed to burn twice as long and half as bright

The Dark Wind posted:

Oh god that thing is amazing. Please post clips when you can

It's not really skillful playing (and it seems to clip a bit) but I recorded this for a friend of mine a few weeks back...

Playing a section of Sunn O)))'s "Orthodox Caveman" through it: http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page_songInfo.cfm?bandID=801013&songID=6230168

the wizards beard
Apr 15, 2007
Reppin

4 LIFE 4 REAL
You have an UCRG10, in drop A, going into a Matamp?

I loving hate you.

ego munchin
Aug 3, 2004

Pyrthas posted:

I've posted this in some other threads (like the guitars that you like thread), but now I get to post it here, which is awfully exciting. Should be here next Friday.

1936 Epiphone Deluxe

There's just about nothing I'd change even if I could.
Well, you could throw on a neck mount pickup... but drat, that is very nice. Just curious, do you know what the depth (thickness) of the body is?

That metal dude
Mar 7, 2007

I call out to the beasts of the sea! To come forth and join us! This night is yours!

WantlessPonder posted:

DEAN ML

Man those tops on the import 79's are getting real nice. Congrats on the Dean. Hopefully the floyd doesn't give you to much troube. I've heard conflicting reports on em.

Revvik
Jul 29, 2006
Fun Shoe

That metal dude posted:

These look less ugly in your picture then on the website. It looks more like an ESP Viper.

The stock picture from the website was included in the auction, and it made me not want to buy the guitar. It came in today so I was able to take better pictures of it, but Waffleimages won't take my camera pictures.

The guitar is a year and a half old, and the gold hardware is not showing its age well. If it weren't for the "dazzling" blue, it could pass for a much older, more valuable guitar.

Beyond that, I don't know why the Valkyries aren't more popular. The pickups sound excellent, very hard rock without making every song you play seem like it was done by Angus Young. It feels very smooth.

Pyrthas
Jan 22, 2007

øptimysticism posted:

Well, you could throw on a neck mount pickup... but drat, that is very nice. Just curious, do you know what the depth (thickness) of the body is?
I could, but I tend to prefer the acoustic sound of these guitars anyway. I don't actually know the depth - it's not listed and I forgot to ask - but I'd be pretty surprised if it were lower than 3". Here's a picture of the side.

Looks 3"ish to me, anyway. Also, it's a 17" model with the 25.5" scale length that Gibson didn't add for a while, which I think I'll prefer.

It's worth noting that just about all the hardware is non-original. It's even been refinished. But the wood's the same, and since I'm not buying it as a collector, I don't really care if, say, the tailpiece or pickguard isn't original. It sounds good and it's pretty and I'm fine if it got there through some relatively recent work.

Los Padre
Mar 26, 2007

Los Padre is an interesting and sensitive fellow.

Pyrthas posted:

I could, but I tend to prefer the acoustic sound of these guitars anyway. I don't actually know the depth - it's not listed and I forgot to ask - but I'd be pretty surprised if it were lower than 3". Here's a picture of the side.

Looks 3"ish to me, anyway. Also, it's a 17" model with the 25.5" scale length that Gibson didn't add for a while, which I think I'll prefer.

It's worth noting that just about all the hardware is non-original. It's even been refinished. But the wood's the same, and since I'm not buying it as a collector, I don't really care if, say, the tailpiece or pickguard isn't original. It sounds good and it's pretty and I'm fine if it got there through some relatively recent work.

Any chance you can post clips of this? I've been looking at some similar guitars.

Edit: I noticed your crossposting of this in the guitars you like thread right before you bought it.

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Listen, Mr. Kansas Law Dog.
Law don't go around here.
Savvy?
I was going to post it in the "fiending after" thread but I was worried someone would snipe it out from under me.

Guitar of the Week #41, Gibson Nashville Les Paul DC Special

Rankin
May 31, 2002

N8L0 posted:

Some more pics of my EC-1000, it's kind of odd I've never seen a 1000 series without Deluxe on the headstock, except mine. These pics suck and don't represent the color of the top very well unfortunately.

This is absolutely beautiful. I want one.

Pyrthas
Jan 22, 2007

Los Padre posted:

Edit: I noticed your crossposting of this in the guitars you like thread right before you bought it.
Posted it a month ago! I did say that I'd be happy forever if I got a 1930s Epiphone shortly before pulling the trigger, though... It has an awful lot to live up to.

I will try to post some clips.

pennywisdom
Mar 21, 2004

Pyrthas posted:

I've posted this in some other threads (like the guitars that you like thread), but now I get to post it here, which is awfully exciting. Should be here next Friday.

1936 Epiphone Deluxe

I can't even imagine owning something this badass. Mind if I ask how much it was?

The Book I Read
Jan 15, 2008
Have to sing about it.

Carbohydrates posted:

I was going to post it in the "fiending after" thread but I was worried someone would snipe it out from under me.

Guitar of the Week #41, Gibson Nashville Les Paul DC Special

Listen to this man, he knows nice guitars.

dr cum patrol esq
Sep 3, 2003

A C A B

:350:

pennywisdom posted:

I can't even imagine owning something this badass. Mind if I ask how much it was?

Probably about 4-5k I'd guess.

The Book I Read
Jan 15, 2008
Have to sing about it.
I'm looking to get a new guitar at the end of the month to replace this heap of poo poo strat knockoff I've got at the moment. Though I'm primarily a bass player, I want to learn and perform with pretty much every instrument I can find the time for.

My budget is between £200-£350 ($400-$700) and versatility is a huge plus, as the main two extremes of my playing would be The Smiths/Sting & The Police tone clean-playing and fairly meaty distortion. Any recommendations in terms of amps to get this sound are welcome also, with an independent budget of £200-£350.

Playability is a major plus as well. I find my chunky classical acoustic far more playable than this cheap monstrosity, which I feel is holding me back. For both apparent playability and looks I'm loving Ibanez's Jetking series.

Edit: I'd Really appreciate it if the guy who bought one earlier in the thread would post some sound samples of the JTK2.

The Book I Read fucked around with this message at 03:14 on Mar 15, 2008

Pyrthas
Jan 22, 2007

pennywisdom posted:

$6500. You can definitely find something that sounds similar for less, but it probably won't look the same. I figured if I was going to drop anything near this much on a guitar, I might as well get as close to what I want as I can.

pennywisdom
Mar 21, 2004

Pyrthas posted:

$6500. You can definitely find something that sounds similar for less, but it probably won't look the same. I figured if I was going to drop anything near this much on a guitar, I might as well get as close to what I want as I can.

Oh I'm sure you could find something that sounds/plays way better for less, but I love my intruments having their own personality. An eighty year old guitar? Jesus loving christ, that thing has seen some poo poo.

mofolotopo
May 10, 2004

TICK STAMPEDE!!!!

Pyrthas posted:

1936 Epiphone Deluxe

That is a lovely guitar. It's nowhere near the same league, but I have an old electric Silvertone that looks a lot like its ugly cousin that I keep meaning to fix up.

morningdrew
Jul 18, 2003

It's toe-tapping-ly tragic!

I spent over an hour this morning in Guitar Center trying out various acoustics and picked up this beauty. Marked down to $800 and I got a Martin case with it.

:swoon:

Al Harrington
May 1, 2005

I used to be an adventurer like you, then I took an arrow in the eye

I bought this online, it arrives Tuesday and I'm quite excited. I'm just learning yet, but it'll be a lot easier on this than my current axe seen here:

I've heard good things about the Jaguar HH, and it has a smaller neck and 24" scale which is better for my girly hands.

XYZAB
Jun 29, 2003

HNNNNNGG!!

Sexy Santorum posted:

I bought this online, it arrives Tuesday and I'm quite excited. I'm just learning yet, but it'll be a lot easier on this than my current axe seen here:

I've heard good things about the Jaguar HH, and it has a smaller neck and 24" scale which is better for my girly hands.

Excellent. If you wanna change the look of the Jag, shoot Jeannie Pickguards a letter and they can make whatever you want, they cut their Jag HH template from my pickguard and it totally changed how mine looked.

Jimix
Jun 20, 2001

^^^^ that jag is dope!

I traded an old bass head to the guy at chrisguitars.com for this Ibanez short scale hollow body bass:

It came loaded with these awesome $100 flatwounds. I have never really played with flats but I like these a lot, I suppose I should for strings that cost that much. I'll probably never take them off.

Has a really strange tone - about the exact opposite of my warwick :)

Jimix fucked around with this message at 01:55 on Mar 16, 2008

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I dreamt I was an old dog, stuck in a honeypot. It was horrifying.

Jimix posted:

Flats on a hollowbody are fantastic, and flats just get better with age. What kind?

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 10 days!
Just managed to win one of these (ibanez rg7321) on ebay for £150 ($300~) with a hardcase. They retail for £280 ($560~) here without a hardcase so I'm pretty loving happy right now!

I can't wait for it to get here!

Stux fucked around with this message at 21:38 on Mar 16, 2008

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

Stux posted:

Just managed to win one of these on ebay for £150 ($300~) with a hardcase. They retail for £280 ($560~) here without a hardcase so I'm pretty loving happy right now!

I can't wait for it to get here!

For 150 GBP, thats a loving steal. Good job!

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

The price of meat has just gone up, and your old lady has just gone down

If anyone was interested in the $29.99 ES-57 dynamic mic or the $45 Veteran 30 speakers I mentioned buying earlier, here's a clip involving both. All info is in the song title and comments.

Boner Slam
May 9, 2005

Agreed posted:

If anyone was interested in the $29.99 ES-57 dynamic mic or the $45 Veteran 30 speakers I mentioned buying earlier, here's a clip involving both. All info is in the song title and comments.

If you highpass filter dat, you could actually use it as background/fluff track. Good buy.

Drazzy
Oct 5, 2003

If I had $20 right now, I'd probably put it towards one of my many bills that I have yet to pay.
Just added a new pedal to my small collection (Hey, I just started buying them, leave me alone!). Picked up a Morley Wah/Distortion/Volume pedal for $50CDN used. It's in great shape and sounds awesome compared to the last Wah pedal I owned.

The other pedals are: 1981 MXR Distortion+, Daphon Compressor (never heard of this brand, but it sounds GREAT), and DOD Octaplus Octave pedal.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

the wizards beard
Apr 15, 2007
Reppin

4 LIFE 4 REAL
Daphons are pretty cool, Gibson is re-branding them as their Maestro line.

Drazzy
Oct 5, 2003

If I had $20 right now, I'd probably put it towards one of my many bills that I have yet to pay.

the wizards beard posted:

Daphons are pretty cool, Gibson is re-branding them as their Maestro line.

They are built like tanks! I swear, I've never seen a pedal built this way. It's amazing. I got that compressor pedal off of a kid for $20CDN. Haha.

FreakingNeo
Jun 25, 2003

Night Rhythms
got myself a behringer GMX210 v-tone amp. i'm low on cash and had to get something decent to actually hear what my danelectro 59 dc sounds like!
i'm not expecting much of this amp, but it can't be worse than my broken marshall amp :sweatdrop:

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

The price of meat has just gone up, and your old lady has just gone down

Drazzy posted:

Just added a new pedal to my small collection (Hey, I just started buying them, leave me alone!). Picked up a Morley Wah/Distortion/Volume pedal for $50CDN used. It's in great shape and sounds awesome compared to the last Wah pedal I owned.

The other pedals are: 1981 MXR Distortion+, Daphon Compressor (never heard of this brand, but it sounds GREAT), and DOD Octaplus Octave pedal.

I have always wondered about the Morley W/D/V. How does it do at each feature, would you say? I've got plenty of wah but I could use a volume pedal, and having a backup that would at least do the trick if something terrible happened would be awesome. I dig Morley in general, and have had great experiences with their wahs (especially my beloved George Lynch Dragon Wah, which I really hope they release in a larger run since if it goes south I don't know if I could find an easy replacement). I've heard their volume pedals don't always go to zero, though. Thoughts?

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 10 days!

Minto Took posted:

For 150 GBP, thats a loving steal. Good job!

Also, turns out its a 2002 model from the Cort South Korea factory, so I've been real loving lucky today :v:

krisis
Oct 25, 2003

i have a light case of asparagus.

Stux posted:

Also, turns out its a 2002 model from the Cort South Korea factory, so I've been real loving lucky today :v:

You lucky bastard. Put a pair of new pickups in it, and you got a top class axe.

In other news, I recently got some extra money due to some financial fuckup that just got fixed, so I should receive a Zoom G9.2tt and an EMG 85-81 set to put in my new Ibanez later today.

Uncle Caveman
Jun 16, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

Jimix posted:

It came loaded with these awesome $100 flatwounds. I have never really played with flats but I like these a lot, I suppose I should for strings that cost that much. I'll probably never take them off.

Neato. Thomastik-Infields are about the best flats you can find; they'll last forever, too. Hollowbody basses are great, a completely different feel than a solid. In fact, I think the tonal differences between hollow & solid are even more noticeable on a bass than on an electric guitar.

You can get a great pseudo acoustic/upright thumpy sound by cutting a velcro cable tie in half and sandwiching it around the strings near the bridge. Slide it forward or back to adjust how much muting you want.

jovial_cynic
Aug 19, 2005

It's not new... it's a combination of two old broken things that I cobbled together to make work.

Broken amp head (power-amp transistor blew up):

Broken tuner/stereo-amp (buttons have gotten all wonky and don't respond all the time):

After removing the power transformer and relocating the resonance chamber to the top, I stuffed the JVC into the Peavey case, so I could use both of them at the same time:

Front

Rear

And it doesn't sound too bad at all:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-vxRNuOSkTQ

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

Uncle Caveman posted:

Neato. Thomastik-Infields are about the best flats you can find; they'll last forever, too. Hollowbody basses are great, a completely different feel than a solid. In fact, I think the tonal differences between hollow & solid are even more noticeable on a bass than on an electric guitar.

They also sound utterly amazing through an overdriven tube amp.

Schatten
Jul 7, 2002

Das ist nicht meine
schnellen Rennwagen
I've been bad. I wish I could say more, but hopefully these two not so great pictures will explain.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drazzy
Oct 5, 2003

Agreed posted:

I have always wondered about the Morley W/D/V. How does it do at each feature, would you say? I've got plenty of wah but I could use a volume pedal, and having a backup that would at least do the trick if something terrible happened would be awesome. I dig Morley in general, and have had great experiences with their wahs (especially my beloved George Lynch Dragon Wah, which I really hope they release in a larger run since if it goes south I don't know if I could find an easy replacement). I've heard their volume pedals don't always go to zero, though. Thoughts?

The volume feature isn't 100% awesome like the wah. Mine goes all the way to 0, but it seems like it does so half way through the sweep, if that makes any sense.

The distortion feature ads a whole lot of noise to the sound, and it's really treble-y. Keep in mind I have barely touched any of the knobs yet to tweak the settings. From what I've seen/heard so far, I'd buy another one if this broke.