Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
JohnnyRed
Aug 19, 2004

by Ozma

spiderpie posted:

At least it's not the Marina. *shudder*

Hey now, Marina crowd is weird, yes. But the Mauna Loa bar on Fillmore at Union is awesome! Monday nights the bartender Tammy brings in free chili dogs, and they have buck hunter. God I love that place.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Socket Ryanist
Aug 30, 2004

Craptacular! posted:

Because from what I've seen on Google, there's no easy way to get to Transbay from BART without walking some blocks,
you can practically spit from embarcadero bart and hit transbay lol

Books On Tape
Dec 26, 2003

Future of the franchise
Actually I take that back. The one scary part of that walk would be whether or not you think you can hold your breath long enough to navigate the transbay terminal to the bus loading area. The ground floor in there is like walking through a giant homeless person urinal.

BluDiE
Jan 2, 2008

Don't you get it?!?
Everybody loses, now
THAT's WINNING!
the soon to be wife and I are thinking of doing a honeymoon in the San Francisco area for around 8 or so days with side trips to Napa and some mystery place she's not spilling the beans on. What are good places to get food (hole in the walls and upscale, I'm up for anything), cool things to do in the area, and where in the city should we stay? Any and all suggestions are welcome.

Sorry if this was covered already I made it through about four pages of this thread and I think if I read anymore 'my mom lives in San Francisco and she got raped.' or 'a homeless man stole my fillings' we'd be honeymooning in north dakota.

crazystray
Aug 7, 2005
Grow or die.
Is your wife a goon? If so, stay here: http://www.jdvhotels.com/tomo/
There are a few other really unique hotels in SF, it kinda depends on how much you wanna spend.
There are also tons of great restaurants, are there any particular cuisines you are partial to? Millenium is a really fun and unique Vegan restaurant with amazing desserts. Ponzu is a fun pan-asian fusion restaurant I like... You should definitely visit the ferry building, Taylors Automatic Refresher has an amazing Ahi burger with sweet potato fries and there are some great culinary shops there, go on the weekend and the farmer's market is awesome... I've got more suggestions but you have to give me an idea what you'd like.

edit: Aziza's is also a great restaurant, upscale Moroccan.

crazystray fucked around with this message at 04:30 on Mar 6, 2008

Side Car
Jul 5, 2007

BluDiE posted:

the soon to be wife and I are thinking of doing a honeymoon in the San Francisco area for around 8 or so days with side trips to Napa and some mystery place she's not spilling the beans on. What are good places to get food (hole in the walls and upscale, I'm up for anything), cool things to do in the area, and where in the city should we stay? Any and all suggestions are welcome.

Sorry if this was covered already I made it through about four pages of this thread and I think if I read anymore 'my mom lives in San Francisco and she got raped.' or 'a homeless man stole my fillings' we'd be honeymooning in north dakota.

In the city Postrio is upcale (and expensive), but very very good.

Books On Tape
Dec 26, 2003

Future of the franchise

BluDiE posted:

Put Monterey/Carmel on your list of side trips to go on.

Saint101
Aug 28, 2007

BluDiE posted:

You should try All You Knead on Haight street, they make a good breakfeast. Also you could try crustacians(?) which is a bit expensive and also Benihannas if you haven't been to one. You should also try driving down Highway 1 to carmel it is trully one of a kind. It is a tiny somewhat uppity town right on the coast, although it is uppity the people there are very nice and welcoming. It's a very nice area I would reccomend you go down there for atleast one night. It's about an hour or so south of san francisco. You should also check out Market street from Castro all the way down to the financial district. (watch out for hobos they're all harmless though). Actually skip from south van ness to 5th street, it's pretty bad in between. You should check out North Beach, and Lombard if you want to go out/party.. You should defenitely go up to twin peaks and coit tower, those are some amazing views. You should check out Union Square to see where all the insanely rich people shop, plus it's really pretty at night time. It's really not hard to find restaurants. The hole in the wall restaurants either look good and have decent to good food, or look like poo poo holes and have what you would expect. You should also check out the sunset district, Ocean Beach is over in that area also. I can't think of anything else at the moment, you could check out the Metreon but it's really pretty lame. Oh yea two more things, the SFMOMA SF museum of modern art is very cool. And also Lawrence Hall of Science, I don't remember if thats the name of it, has a lot of cool things in it.

Edit: Highway 1 is a beautiful drive take that down to carmel its along the coast so you can see the ocean the whole way down there rather than taking the traffic conjested 101.

Also check out North Beach Restaurant and Joe Dimagios (a bar about a block away, in a very nice part of north beach). Stay away from the mission district it's just disgusting nothing really nice about it. Don't walk down random streets not knowing where it leads to. For example if you are in Filmore at the park where Fullhouse was filmed at, one block away is section 8 projects, so be careful.

Saint101 fucked around with this message at 01:03 on Mar 6, 2008

Saint101
Aug 28, 2007

Entransca posted:

Does anyone know of an easy way to get from San Francisco to Mill Valley (in the Marin Country area)?

How much would a taxi fare cost?

What part of San Francisco are you talking about? If you are downtown hop on Golden Gate Transit bus, the 80. If you are in the avenues get over to lombard street where you can catch the 80 right before it goes towards the golden gate bridge. Matter of fact just check out the golden gate transit website it runs every hour, and cab fare will be around 100 dollars both ways..

Check out the Muni and Golden Gate Transit website, they are pretty good and you should be able to figure it out.

Saint101 fucked around with this message at 01:05 on Mar 6, 2008

Drink and Fight
Feb 2, 2003

BluDiE posted:

Don't go to Benihana, it's terrible. I recommend Sushi Groove South, Tommy's (mexican), Lahore Karahi, Eddie Rickenbacker's, Chow, Tradr Sam's, Wish, North Beach Pizza, Fuzio, Taqueria Cancun, Osaka Sushi, Cajun Pacific, Jitlada, Gordo, and Osha.

You can look all of those up on yelp.com. Feel free to IM me for more suggestions.

gonger
Apr 25, 2006

Quiet! You vegetable!
I spent last summer interning in Cupertino while living in Mountain View. I'm very much a 'city life' kind of person, so it was pretty miserable spending most of my time in the suburbs. Pretty much every weekend I'd throw my bike on Caltrain and head into SF, but worrying about making it back to the Caltrain station by midnight got lame pretty quickly.

I'm heading back for another round of interning this summer, and my work finally has a pretty comprehensive system of shuttles from SF to Cupertino, so I'd really like to find a place to rent in the city. I remember hearing the horror stories from some of my co-workers last year about spending months hunting for an apartment, so I'm not really sure what the best way to go about finding accomodations for the summer is. Since I'm only going to be in California for ~3 months, I'd imagine it would be pretty tough to find a landlord willing to sign such a short lease given how competitive the area seems to be.

I live in Atlanta currently, and get around almost exclusively by bicycle - I've got a car but only use it a few times a month. I don't plan on having a car over the summer, but Flexcar/Zipcar/etc seem prevalent enough that I could easily obtain one when needed. The work shuttle seems to cover pretty much everywhere but the Marina and Soma, but ideally I'd like to live somewhere within biking distance (~5 miles or so) of Mission, the closer the better.

Is it unreasonable to start trying to figure this out so far in advance? I'll be flying out around May 14th or so. If it's not too early to start poking around, what would you recommend? Craigslist tends to be more focused on the immediate future, so I'm not sure how fruitful it would be searching there. If anyone needs a roommate for the summer or knows someone who might, let me know! I'd say I'm half computer dork, half bike-riding indie hipster. Seems to be a common enough combination in the bay area. Most of the SF goonmeet crew from last summer could probably vouch for me, for whatever it's worth.

Drink and Fight
Feb 2, 2003

^^ It's true, he's ok. Have you tried checking craigslist just for sublets?

slothzilla
Dec 19, 2003

Hi goons, I'm interviewing for an internship in Sausalito and after looking at rent costs (too many zeros) I am wondering what it would cost to live there for a few months. It looks like about about the cheapest places are 800 for a room +other expenses?

Would it be cheaper to just commute?

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

slothzilla posted:

Would it be cheaper to just commute?
Would you have a car? If so you could easily live somewhere cheaper in Marin than Sausalito like Strawberry, Corte Madera/Larkspur or even San Rafael. The traffic wouldn't be great but you could probably time it all right. Anywhere near the ferry terminal in SF is going to be pretty pricey.

Kobayashi
Aug 13, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo
I don't know how to ask this without sounding desperately shallow, so I'll just come out and ask: are there no loving women on the peninsula outside of the city? Because it certainly seems that way. Even spending time in downtown San Jose, Castro, Santa Row, etc. seems to be rather unremarkable. The most interesting place I've been out here is the Saddle Rack, and that's all the way in Milpitas!

Green Mind
Aug 5, 2007

Said it's ok...
I'm going to be there tomorrow!

Whats the best way for a student traveler to get to the Redwoods? Is there a bus?

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Green Mind posted:

I'm going to be there tomorrow!

Whats the best way for a student traveler to get to the Redwoods? Is there a bus?
Which redwoods? Muir woods? Because the cheapest way to get there is to get a bus to downtown mill valley and then hike the first part of the Dipsea trail. It's pretty hard, around 700 feet of elevation. There's tours that go out there too but not cheap.

Green Mind
Aug 5, 2007

Said it's ok...
I'm going to take that bus and hike, I'm all about that shiiiittt

Where can I find a house/electronic club or show to go to? I'm only 19 so take that into consideration, pleasssee. If anyone knows of any underground poo poo PM me, I'm super cool about it.

BluDiE
Jan 2, 2008

Don't you get it?!?
Everybody loses, now
THAT's WINNING!
Thanks for the awesome suggestions guys. We should eat well.

Duder X
Mar 28, 2004

Trying to find a place is getting loving ridiculous. If anyone knows anyone looking for a room mate or two, could you let me know?

Green Mind
Aug 5, 2007

Said it's ok...
Rode my bike from North Beach to Muir Woods shirtless...coming down the mountain at 50mph on a bike was one of the most exciting things I've ever done.

THANK YOU for the recommendation about the Green Tortoise. The place was amazing. Coolest people on earth in SF. I smoked a bowl with a dude named Tree in Golden Gate Park. We talked about the Dead.

Green Mind fucked around with this message at 21:30 on Mar 14, 2008

slothzilla
Dec 19, 2003

Thanks for the help guys.

It turns out I'm going to be in Inverness for the summer, any thoughts on the place?

crazystray
Aug 7, 2005
Grow or die.

Green Mind posted:

I smoked a bowl with a dude named Tree in Golden Gate Park. We talked about the Dead.

That sounds about right.

slothzilla posted:

It turns out I'm going to be in Inverness for the summer, any thoughts on the place?

The whole summer? I like Inverness, but it's tiny, it's like 3 buildings on either side of the road. You aren't too far from Bolinas which is where I'd hang out if I were you, there are some interesting art galleries, an interesting bar scene, and the occasional beach bonfire party.

Pt. Reyes Station is in the other direction and has some good places to eat.

It's a really beautiful area all around there.

Floodixor
Aug 22, 2003

Forums Electronic MusiciaBRRRIIINGYIPYIPYIPYIP
I got a job this week and will be moving out there on Wednesday. :) I have always loved SF and am thrilled that I can live there now.

Roommates? Places to live? At the moment I'll be staying with my best friend. But I'll be keeping a close eye on this thread!

Artsygrrl
Apr 24, 2007

I'm just here.

Grimey Drawer
Hello fellow Bay Area goons!

Although I already posted this in the SF Goon Meet thread, I thought I would mention it to you here as well!

Ahem:

Hey guys, I have 2 tickets to Tim and Eric Awesome Show Live Tour at the Rickshaw Stop on Sunday May 4th. I am still going but the other ticket is up for grabs if anyone wants to go with me (Rack has to work ).

Calendar with pop-up window information is here:

http://rickshawstop.com/phpEventCal...5&year=2008

Here is their website:

http://timanderic.com/

You can also find them on Adult Swim.

There are two shows for that night, but my tickets are for the "early" show. No physical tickets, just a name on a list. So who wants to join me?

JohnnyRed
Aug 19, 2004

by Ozma
Man, I'm sorry to be a dick, but do you really not have ANY friends that would want to go to that?

cLin
Apr 21, 2003
lat3nt.net
Hey guys, I am visiting bay area next week and I want to go to a club with my girlfriend. I checked yelp.com and honestly, that's a lot of clubs to shift through. Anyone recommend any clubs that play mashups/mainstream besides Bootie?

Also, anyone been to Garibaldis or Wood Tavern? I am also thinking of a nice restaurant to eat at for that Friday before we go to the club.

As for Thursday, I am thinking about going down to union square (need Ghirardelli!) and going to check out the space museum and maybe that big park in SF. What do you guys recommend for lunch/dinner? I'm going to check citysearch and yelp but I figure getting a somewhat more personalized answer is better. We are open to all, except my gf doesn't like seafood or steak.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005
Is anyone watching this fire on the news? It's freaking HUGE, it looks like the building is going to collapse at any moment. It's a Victorian at 25th and Valencia for anyone not watching, right now they're just trying to keep it from spreading.

Artsygrrl
Apr 24, 2007

I'm just here.

Grimey Drawer

JohnnyRed posted:

Man, I'm sorry to be a dick, but do you really not have ANY friends that would want to go to that?

Not any who have actual free time at night (I am the day walker of the bunch). :colbert:

Sivart13
May 18, 2003
I have neglected to come up with a clever title

Papercut posted:

Is anyone watching this fire on the news? It's freaking HUGE, it looks like the building is going to collapse at any moment. It's a Victorian at 25th and Valencia for anyone not watching, right now they're just trying to keep it from spreading.
It was about 2 blocks from me; I had to leave my apartment after I'd came home because the smoke was so strong. By the time I'd biked up Bernal Heights Hill to watch it it wasn't smoking anymore, though.

Floodixor
Aug 22, 2003

Forums Electronic MusiciaBRRRIIINGYIPYIPYIPYIP
SF goons - what muni or such can I take to get to the Fillmore from, say, Dolores Park? I can see WHERE it is in google maps, but I don't know enough about the various modes of transit to get me where I need to go. Any help would be appriciated. :)

Drink and Fight
Feb 2, 2003

That was a crazy fire, we were drinking at Zeitgeist and heard all the sirens go by.

cLin, I have dinner advisories for you, IM me.

Sivart13, why have you been avoiding our goonmeets? We are sad.

Floodixor, try the J to Market and Church, and switch to the 22 Fillmore.

Victor Nightingale
May 11, 2005

Floodixor posted:

SF goons - what muni or such can I take to get to the Fillmore from, say, Dolores Park? I can see WHERE it is in google maps, but I don't know enough about the various modes of transit to get me where I need to go. Any help would be appriciated. :)

transit.511.org

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Floodixor posted:

The 22 is the straightest shot.

Green Mind
Aug 5, 2007

Said it's ok...
So you're loving city made me fall in love with it and now I have to move there goddamnit.

I'm selling all my poo poo and backpacking across the USA in April and then living in SF until it gets too cold...then where will I go...hmm who knows? Most likely south.

But yea seriously SF rocks so loving hard. It has everything awesome a city could have. Everyone there reads books! Its crazy! (I'm used to anti-intellectualism in the deep south. Its a wonderful change.)

frunksock
Feb 21, 2002

spiderpie posted:

That was a crazy fire, we were drinking at Zeitgeist and heard all the sirens go by.
I was drinking at Zeitgeist during that fire, too. I was the one wearing green.

Drink and Fight
Feb 2, 2003

frunksock posted:

I was drinking at Zeitgeist during that fire, too. I was the one wearing green.

I totally saw you. :v:
We had the two tables closest to the portapotties. We may have been playing Drink That Beer.

MotoMind
May 5, 2007

If anyone wants to go outside, I'm proposing a mild half-day hike of the East Bay hills.

Details here: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?postid=341184868#post341184868

Sivart13
May 18, 2003
I have neglected to come up with a clever title

spiderpie posted:

Sivart13, why have you been avoiding our goonmeets? We are sad.
I got a girlfriend and greatly fear exposing her to you malcontents.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Atrus
Dec 5, 2003

"The ending has not yet been written."

Ask me about CONTRIBUTING TO THE DEATH OF VIDEOGAMES

Sivart13 posted:

I got a girlfriend and greatly fear exposing her to you malcontents.
I use SF goon meets as a sort of vetting process for dates. If she can't take a goon meet, then there isn't much of a future. :colbert:

• Locked thread