Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ator
Oct 1, 2005

jovial_cynic posted:

And it doesn't sound too bad at all:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-vxRNuOSkTQ

Those toddler squeals sound so lifelike!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jovial_cynic
Aug 19, 2005

Aenovae posted:

Those toddler squeals sound so lifelike!

Yeah - I've got a toddler-pedal for my mandolin, so I make it sound like there's a toddler in the room wherever I play. It's really neat with the wireless amp.

XYZAB
Jun 29, 2003

HNNNNNGG!!

jovial_cynic posted:

Yeah - I've got a toddler-pedal for my mandolin, so I make it sound like there's a toddler in the room wherever I play. It's really neat with the wireless amp.

I buried my toddler pedal in a space ship the day after I got my model T ford. That's what I get for drinking several jars of beer, I suppose.

Dr. Klas
Sep 30, 2005
Operating.....done!

Schatten posted:

I've been bad. I wish I could say more, but hopefully these two not so great pictures will explain.

More pictures! How does it sound, is it ridiculously light? Price?

ScooterMcTiny
Apr 7, 2004

Handen posted:

I buried my toddler pedal in a space ship the day after I got my model T ford. That's what I get for drinking several jars of beer, I suppose.

I'm pretty sure that nobody is gonna get that one. (I wanted to hate that sketch, but it was almost too ridiculous too hate)

Schatten
Jul 7, 2002

Das ist nicht meine
schnellen Rennwagen

Dr. Klas posted:

More pictures! How does it sound, is it ridiculously light? Price?
I should probably put this under the reviews, but here's my quick summary on the Composite Acoustics RTG. I'm keeping the price to myself. I just bought a Ric a few weeks ago... I don't want to realize what I paid for this too.

Company: http://www.compositeacoustics.com (cool factory tour pictures!)
This model: http://elderly.com/new_instruments/items/PSXRTG-WINE.htm (but mine is black/charcoal, NOT wine colored and I did not get it from elderly, just the closest example I could find)

I'll try to take some more pictures tonight. I haven't had a chance to plug it into one of my amps yet. This is the RTG (road tough player model). The pickups are piezo which run on a 9volt. The battery is held in the cavity by a velcro pocket. Yes, that's correct, you'll need to restring the guitar to change out the battery. That is the only downside to it. When you are plugged in, it drains away like any other active pickup. There is a volume and a tone control, but those are just inside the cavity of the guitar hidden from sight. I'm unsure which pickup mine came with. It was one of two options and I cannot recall which one I ended up with.

The strap buttons are like any other typical guitar. One is near the top horn and one is in the middle of the body on the rear.

Last night, I weighed it on a digital scale with me (and then minus the guitar) and did the same with the Fender. It feels ridiculously light, but it is still just over 4lbs. The fender is closer to 5lbs. Not that much of a difference given size.

The feel - It is meant to be played and when you pick it up, it is thin, holds perfectly in your lap, under your arm and ahhhhhh. I've had a nylon Framus before and currently have a Fender acoustic (non electric). The Fender plays great and is just a standard acoustic. However, I still worry about nicks, the finish, and my right arm position over the thick body can be a reach.

Tuners are gotoh tuners, which are smooth. It stays in tune and will never see any effects of warpage nor neck issues. Even the fretboard is carbon fiber. Fretboard thickness feels like a normal guitar. It doesn't feel like my acoustic where my left hand tires after toying with it for more than an hour. (I'm mainly a bass player btw)

Sounds, without an amp, are bright. It sings to me. And that isn't just the newer strings either. My Fender was recently restringed. How you position your right forearm can really change the sound of the guitar unamped. You can lay your arm down to strum or pick it up a bit and the sounds are brighter, less muffled. This dynamic is not negative. My Fender isn't effected this much. I'm quite anxious to hear how it sounds amped.

I opted for the road tough one over the performer models, which are straight carbon fiber glossed top. Those were pretty, but I don't want to worry about belt buckles or anything else just nipping a small mark into the finish on top of the carbon fiber. I have one of those nicks into the finish on my Tobias and it hurts. Besides, it just looks too pretty and not too much like a museum piece. This one is slightly cheaper, but that wasn't the thing that sold me. It was the durability factor. The RT series feel is similar to the bedliners on trucks, but not in a bad way. When you pick it up, you feel as if it is a toy guitar, more than a hand crafted carbon fiber work of art.

Overall it is a S O L I D piece. It is the Tonka truck of acoustic guitars.

Schatten fucked around with this message at 19:56 on Mar 18, 2008

Rankin
May 31, 2002

Schatten posted:

I've been bad. I wish I could say more, but hopefully these two not so great pictures will explain.

Awesome post/cry for attention. Please tell me what I'm supposed to be looking at.

You beat me by seconds, but my point stands.

Schatten
Jul 7, 2002

Das ist nicht meine
schnellen Rennwagen
I just wanted to share. =) Edited to add links.

pennywisdom
Mar 21, 2004

Oh the sound of sweet silence.

TastyShrimpPlatter
Dec 18, 2006

It's me, I'm the
I'm just getting into drumming; I was inspired by RockBand. I've ordered quite a bit of stuff already.
I've got a Roland TD-9SX coming whenever they decide to release it (Hopefully late March or early April)

I'm going to replace the cy5 with a VH11 Hihat on a DW 9500TB stand, which I just ordered

I got a 14" carbon fiber crash from a guy who custom makes them in england

I already have a Tama Iron Cobra double bass pedal too.
I can't wait until all my stuff gets here. I've already read through the TD-9 manual about 9 times.

*edit*
I've also got a little midi converter box I made that I'm going to mount on my setup so I can play rockband with my new kit. It's got flashy lights that will light up when I hit different pads on my kit.

TastyShrimpPlatter fucked around with this message at 21:57 on Mar 18, 2008

Schatten
Jul 7, 2002

Das ist nicht meine
schnellen Rennwagen
Kick rear end setup MrSamurai! I'd like to see first hand pictures of it when it is all set up.

Haier
Aug 10, 2007

by Lowtax
After 7 years of doing everything on software, I decided to get some hardware:

MPC1000, 160GB hard drive, 128MB RAM, JJ OS. After memorizing the manual and spending about 30 hours with it this week, I don't like it at all. There are few small things that are neat about making hiphop on this that I couldn't do with software, but what takes me 2 minutes on my PC takes me about 10-20 minutes to do poorly on the MPC with about half the control and options. These pads are horribly stiff too, it takes about 6 or 7 tries to record something at the velocity I want.
I'm going to give it a few months and if I can't get used to it, I'm going to sell it and upgrade my PC or get a new turntable or something.

an AOL chatroom
Oct 3, 2002

pennywisdom posted:

Oh the sound of sweet silence.

Ooh, never seen one of those before. Looks classy. Never seen a compact pedal with an XLR output before.

pennywisdom
Mar 21, 2004

bisticles posted:

Ooh, never seen one of those before. Looks classy. Never seen a compact pedal with an XLR output before.

Yeah, the serial number puts her in the '80-'81 range.

internet celebrity
Jun 23, 2006

College Slice

MrSamurai posted:

I'm just getting into drumming; I was inspired by RockBand. I've ordered quite a bit of stuff already.

If there is any single positive aspect of Rock Band, it's that there will be more drummers in a couple years.

(awesome setup, btw)

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 9 days!

hamaien posted:

If there is any single positive aspect of Rock Band, it's that there will be more drummers in a couple years.

(awesome setup, btw)

Also with the drum setup in rockband people taking up drums because of it will at least have a start on it, rather than people trying to take up guitar because of guitar hero :v:

ZombiePeanut
May 11, 2007

by Fistgrrl

Stux posted:

Also with the drum setup in rockband people taking up drums because of it will at least have a start on it, rather than people trying to take up guitar because of guitar hero :v:

You mean your guitar doesn't have 5 frets and one string?

Man, you're missing out.

FlossMan
Oct 19, 2005

No, I can't. Too much hair.

hamaien posted:

(awesome setup, btw)

I'm almost ashamed to say that, after beating most songs on "Hard," I'm looking at electronic drum kits, too.

:( I'm betraying my guitar kind.

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

The price of meat has just gone up, and your old lady has just gone down

It would be funny to make a "Guitar Hero Player's Guitar" with five frets, just pentatonic minor scale... sell it in different keys.

Col.Kiwi
Dec 28, 2004
And the grave digger puts on the forceps...
Since it'd have to be a one stringed guitar to be authentic, you could sell it with various gauge strings which you suggest for tuning to different root notes (ie for playing in different keys).

Then again to be "authentic" it needs to magically make chords when you simultaneously fret multiple frets on your single string... ah, guitar hero.

the wizards beard
Apr 15, 2007
Reppin

4 LIFE 4 REAL

Agreed posted:

It would be funny to make a "Guitar Hero Player's Guitar" with five frets, just pentatonic minor scale... sell it in different keys.

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

The price of meat has just gone up, and your old lady has just gone down

I don't know what that is, but tell it I hate it!

internet celebrity
Jun 23, 2006

College Slice

the wizards beard posted:

This was from the "Life through the eyes of stupid people" thread a while back, wasn't it?

dr cum patrol esq
Sep 3, 2003

A C A B

:350:

hamaien posted:

This was from the "Life through the eyes of stupid people" thread a while back, wasn't it?

Well, that's ironic considering everything played after the the 12th fret wouldn't work.

FlossMan
Oct 19, 2005

No, I can't. Too much hair.

Awwww yeah baby, nothing like modeled tape echoes.

mofolotopo
May 10, 2004

TICK STAMPEDE!!!!

Agreed posted:

I keep thinking it's only a matter of time before they start selling attachments that give people something much more like a real instrument to play, and software that gradually transitions from a GH style to actually reading sheet music. It will create a generation of technically proficient, mostly talentless musicians that can play anything on sight but in the most precise and soulless way possible.

MajorMajor
Nov 11, 2005

Some people say you are Henry Fonda.

mofolotopo posted:

I keep thinking it's only a matter of time before they start selling attachments that give people something much more like a real instrument to play, and software that gradually transitions from a GH style to actually reading sheet music. It will create a generation of technically proficient, mostly talentless musicians that can play anything on sight but in the most precise and soulless way possible.

They can start by following goon Epic Proportions' instructions to play Guitar Hero with a Real Guitar! :v:

Coca Koala
Nov 28, 2005

ongoing nowhere
College Slice
So being inspired by the ukulele thread in Ask/Tell, I got a Tenor Uke and taught myself to play it. I've had so much fun with it that I bought an Agile guitar from Rondo Music, with the intention of teaching myself to play that as well. I got the red PRS knockoff: http://www.rondomusic.com/product1220.html. For all that I'm new to this whole guitar thing, this seems like a pretty sweet instrument, and I love the way it feels and sounds.

Once my next paycheck comes in, then I'm planning to get a practice amp so I can play in my dorm without pissing off my neighbors (too much). This is the one I'm looking at: http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Line-6-Spider-III-15-Guitar-Combo-Amplifier?sku=482276.

15 watt Line 6 amp. It's not too impressive but it should definitely do what I need it for.

Lechtansi
Mar 23, 2004

Item Get
I can finally post something, woohoo.

Went out and bought two new pieces for my drumkit. A Zildjian Hybrid Custom China and a Synethesia Mandala Drum. The mandala is really cool but i dont have a powerful enough computer to run it yet, plus i need to get a laptop so i can put it near my drumkit.

Heres a closeup:

Here it is in action:

I don't know how you guys are getting good images, is everyone a professional photographer? Mine look like crap :P

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

FlossMan posted:

Awwww yeah baby, nothing like modeled tape echoes.

I really want to get the equalizer that's shaped like that thing.

vac
Jul 10, 2005
:o

renraku posted:

Well, that's ironic considering everything played after the the 12th fret wouldn't work.

Really? Look again. It's the pentatonic scale.

dr cum patrol esq
Sep 3, 2003

A C A B

vac posted:

Really? Look again. It's the pentatonic scale.

Yeah, I know. It's the pentatonic scale in E. However, not all of the frets have the ones behind them so it would sound funny when played, although, admittedly it'd still play.

Chows
Apr 13, 2002

renraku posted:

However, not all of the frets have the ones behind them so it would sound funny when played

Please explain how you think this works

dr cum patrol esq
Sep 3, 2003

A C A B

Chows posted:

Please explain how you think this works

That's okay, it's not really that important or relevant to the thread.

pennywisdom
Mar 21, 2004

Not trying to be a dick or anything, but I'm curious.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 9 days!

renraku posted:

Yeah, I know. It's the pentatonic scale in E. However, not all of the frets have the ones behind them so it would sound funny when played, although, admittedly it'd still play.

What?

dr cum patrol esq
Sep 3, 2003

A C A B

Jesus gently caress. Okay, all you need is the "front" fret to make the proper note sound. You actually don't need any frets to make the note sound as I'm sure you guys know. However, when you do have frets and you only have the "front" fret the note will sound in key but it would sound different is all.

Edit:

dr cum patrol esq fucked around with this message at 21:39 on Mar 19, 2008

Uncle Caveman
Jun 16, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.
Frets work the other way, man. Anything after the 12th fret on that hypothetical joke-guitar would certainly work... it's just that according to the original gag, "dumb people" wouldn't ever play anything but those notes - and so would have no need for the missing frets.

beefnoodle
Aug 7, 2004

IGNORE ME! I'M JUST AN OLD WET RAG
Yamaha FG-410-12A, $100 on Craigslist, in perfect condition (pics borrowed from Elderly.com, since I've not taken any of my own yet).

I'm excited - I've never owned a 12-string before, and I'm loving that sound.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cylyk
Feb 3, 2006
T_T

renraku posted:

However, when you do have frets and you only have the "front" fret the note will sound in key but it would sound different is all.

I don't believe this. You shouldn't be mashing the string into the fretboard