Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
LordOfThePants
Sep 25, 2002

oblomov posted:

Keyboard in Safari was ok, but absolutely sucked for inputting passwords. It's almost unusable in portrait mode. I am thinking I just don't have enough practice here maybe. Lack of select/copy/paste is just as annoying as I thought it would be, especially with web browsing.

The keyboard does get easier to use - I don't even use it that much and I'm much faster now than when I got my Touch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

I recently upgraded to Leopard, and my Touch wasn't recognized by iTunes so I decided to recover it and see if that helps. Now I'm getting an error (1604) during the process. I did all of the troubleshooting tips on the help section, but no dice. Any ways around this?

tropical
Aug 14, 2003
Ahh say whut?

oblomov posted:

I finally got my new 32gb touch in this morning. So far I am not a happy camper. Transfer as you mention takes forever. It took me about 3 hours to transfer 25GB or so. Coupled with the fact that I'll have to spend time at least once a week transferring new music and videos, it's very disappointing.

Battery life is not great. I want to say it's quite a bit less then what a few of of my friends get with their iphones in airplane mode (2 8GB and 1 16GB). I would say I got between 4 to 5 hours of video playback on a fresh battery charge (wifi off) compared to around 6-7 for iphones. Maybe it's going to get better when it got a little use on it, but I somehow doubt that.

Also, screen is quite a bit worse then iphone. I did not expect that. I thought that issue was fixed. Considering the price of the 32GB, it's disappointing.
Oh, and the back of it is worse then iPhone as well. Keyboard in Safari was ok, but absolutely sucked for inputting passwords. It's almost unusable in portrait mode. I am thinking I just don't have enough practice here maybe. Lack of select/copy/paste is just as annoying as I thought it would be, especially with web browsing.

Sigh... I think Apple got too greedy here with the Touch. Considering the price, Steve could have just taken an iphone, left the cellular chipset off, added more space, but did not gut battery, bluetooth, screen, overall design (annoying aluminum back), and so on. I would have gladly traded the thinner profile to get the functionality which was taken out.

Well, back to the drawing board, I guess. Overall, I am not happy with this device. I think it's going to go back, and I'll get either the 80GB Classic (which has it's own issues with it's crappier wheel compared to 5.5G) or 32GB Zen. Zen, which also has SD expansion slot, is $200 cheaper. I am loath to lose couple chargers, cables, iTunes, car charger/rca in cable, and couple other accessories, so probably will just get the classic and wait for 32gb 3G iphone to come out.

Ouch.

I can't speak on every point you raise since I'm in Canada and we don't have iPhones up here yet.. but now I'm curious, what's different with the iPhone screen and the on-screen keyboard? I find both to be great, although I too find the keyboard hard to use in portrait mode. Regarding the back of the iPod, while I don't know what the iPhone's back is like, I can't imagine this being a dealbreaker.

I do wish I could copy/paste, hopefully that's something they find a way to incorporate into a software update.

Regarding transfer times, I only have a 16gb touch but when I filled it, I swear it took less than an hour (maybe even 30 mins) and I was just scrolling through my iTunes library and picking/choosing stuff to drop onto the iPod. I haven't re-filled it since restoring and updating to 1.1.4 so I'll fill it tonight and see how long it takes.

technic
May 7, 2007

The iPhone back is not a polished finish like the Touch. I have to agree with oblomov, the polished aluminum is really annoying when compared to the iPhone.

oblomov
Jun 20, 2002

Meh... #overrated

tropical posted:

Ouch.

I can't speak on every point you raise since I'm in Canada and we don't have iPhones up here yet.. but now I'm curious, what's different with the iPhone screen and the on-screen keyboard? I find both to be great, although I too find the keyboard hard to use in portrait mode. Regarding the back of the iPod, while I don't know what the iPhone's back is like, I can't imagine this being a dealbreaker.

I do wish I could copy/paste, hopefully that's something they find a way to incorporate into a software update.

Regarding transfer times, I only have a 16gb touch but when I filled it, I swear it took less than an hour (maybe even 30 mins) and I was just scrolling through my iTunes library and picking/choosing stuff to drop onto the iPod. I haven't re-filled it since restoring and updating to 1.1.4 so I'll fill it tonight and see how long it takes.

iPhone screen is much better when viewed at an angle. Also, Touch screen is darker and unfortunately it basically makes dark screens very rough.

On the back, as mentioned above me, it's aluminum and scratches very easily as opposed to iPhones more durable screen.

Transfer time - took me about 3 hours, did not time it to the minute, but it's in the ballpark.

Bob Vance
Aug 20, 2006

"Bob Vance, Vance Refrigeration. Bob Vance, Vance Refrigeration. Bob Vance, Vance Refrigeration."
"So...what line of work you in, Bob?"

Kaleidoscope posted:

That's kinda ridiculous. My roommate's 16GB syncs at about the same speed as my 1Gen 2GB Nano but he only has music on there. How big are the videos?

They're just TV shows.

I bought it unopened online so it is registered to me...what options might I have as far as changing models with Apple (I might downgrade to a 16GB or just go to an iPod classic if they're proven faster). The gimmick is kindof wearing off now.

The Shep
Jan 10, 2007

If found, please return this poster to GIP. His mothers are very worried and miss him very much.
I read about rumors of a $100 price drop. I'd really like to get an ipod touch but I can't justify the price to memory ratio. As soon as the 16g drops to $299 I will buy it.

I can't find any recent news though other than the rumors posted on Mac sites back in February.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.
Just a quick question... you know the iTouch version of cover flow, where you can touch an album and it spins around to show you the album's track listing on the back? Will iTunes ever have that feature? I'm using iTunes for windows, and without the album-spinning mechanic, cover flow is pretty much useless. However, with that mechanic, I think cover flow would probably be the best way to organize my music.

Anybody know if Apple plans on releasing a version of iTunes for Windows where the album-flip feature will be included in cover flow?

oblomov
Jun 20, 2002

Meh... #overrated

GreatGreen posted:

Just a quick question... you know the iTouch version of cover flow, where you can touch an album and it spins around to show you the album's track listing on the back? Will iTunes ever have that feature? I'm using iTunes for windows, and without the album-spinning mechanic, cover flow is pretty much useless. However, with that mechanic, I think cover flow would probably be the best way to organize my music.

Anybody know if Apple plans on releasing a version of iTunes for Windows where the album-flip feature will be included in cover flow?

Tablet PC with touch interface plus this would be kind of hot.

tropical
Aug 14, 2003
Ahh say whut?

technic posted:

The iPhone back is not a polished finish like the Touch. I have to agree with oblomov, the polished aluminum is really annoying when compared to the iPhone.

Ooh that does look nice. I don't mind the polished finish, I find it grippy enough when I'm holding it that I've never had the iPod slip out of my hands. It does get scratched quite easily but I don't really mind.

oblomov posted:

iPhone screen is much better when viewed at an angle. Also, Touch screen is darker and unfortunately it basically makes dark screens very rough.

On the back, as mentioned above me, it's aluminum and scratches very easily as opposed to iPhones more durable screen.

Transfer time - took me about 3 hours, did not time it to the minute, but it's in the ballpark.

I've noticed that the iPod's screen doesn't have the best viewing angles, it starts to look washed out when it's just a little off-center. But I'm almost always holding it so I'm looking directly at it and I find it really vibrant and crisp.

edit: It took 50-55 mins to copy 15gb of music over to the iPod.

tropical fucked around with this message at 03:25 on Mar 21, 2008

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Anyone using in-ear headphones with their iPod? Which ones do you use? Do you also notice a godawful loud noise floor with them?

Until right now I've used some Sony MDR-Whatever. When paused, you can make out a little noise when it's silent. When I've gotten my new laptop, it came with some Creative EP-630 ones. Trying them, there's a considerable noise floor. The difference between the in-ear phones is however that the Sony ones need more power to get to the same subjective volume level, which might explain the lesser noise.

Does the DAC of the iPod introduce all that noise? The only other current testing option I have is the laptop, which is noisy, but I don't think an integrated sound chip on a crammed board like a laptop mobo is a nice reference.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
Just a note...

oblomov posted:

Battery life is not great. I want to say it's quite a bit less then what a few of of my friends get with their iphones in airplane mode (2 8GB and 1 16GB). I would say I got between 4 to 5 hours of video playback on a fresh battery charge (wifi off) compared to around 6-7 for iphones. Maybe it's going to get better when it got a little use on it, but I somehow doubt that.

The Touch is rated at 5 hours of video per charge, so it sounds like your battery is up to par.

Toiletbrush posted:

Anyone using in-ear headphones with their iPod? Which ones do you use? Do you also notice a godawful loud noise floor with them?

Until right now I've used some Sony MDR-Whatever. When paused, you can make out a little noise when it's silent.

I use Sony MDR-whatever51s, and don't notice any noise. Haven't specifically looked for it, though.

WithoutTheFezOn fucked around with this message at 04:37 on Mar 24, 2008

oblomov
Jun 20, 2002

Meh... #overrated

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

Just a note...

The Touch is rated at 5 hours of video per charge, so it sounds like your battery is up to par.

I use Sony MDR-whatever51s, and don't notice any noise. Haven't specifically looked for it, though.

On battery - yeap, that's why I was disappointed. Touch should have gotten same battery as iPhone, considering the pricing.

On headphones, I use Shure e2c, and they work just dandy. I am sure you could get a newer model, and it would work even better.

LaptopGun
Sep 2, 2006

All I'm going to get out of him is a snappy one-liner and, if I'm real lucky, a brand new nickname.

oblomov posted:

On headphones, I use Shure e2c, and they work just dandy. I am sure you could get a newer model, and it would work even better.

'Sup Shure buddy. :hfive: I have the e3c's that I bought when I worked at Best Buy. Gotta love employee discount, I paid sub $70 for them.

oblomov
Jun 20, 2002

Meh... #overrated

LaptopGun posted:

'Sup Shure buddy. :hfive: I have the e3c's that I bought when I worked at Best Buy. Gotta love employee discount, I paid sub $70 for them.

Wow, that's a great deal. I paid that for my e2c pair a few years back. I think now there are newer, better, faster, stronger models, but even my venerable e2c are good, not to mention the e3c or higher models!

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

explosivo posted:

I recently upgraded to Leopard, and my Touch wasn't recognized by iTunes so I decided to recover it and see if that helps. Now I'm getting an error (1604) during the process. I did all of the troubleshooting tips on the help section, but no dice. Any ways around this?

Anyone have any clue about this? I've tried downloading an older firmware version to restore to that, but I still can't get this thing going. I've been without a working iPod for a week or two now. :(

Milosh 2.0
Feb 25, 2008
My Jailbreaked iPod touch is still at 1.2. It's currently doing some weird things and I want to reinstall the newest firmware and then jailbreak it again. What should I do? Do I just update to 1.4 and then run ziphone?

Optimus Fish
Apr 16, 2003

Milosh 2.0 posted:

My Jailbreaked iPod touch is still at 1.2. It's currently doing some weird things and I want to reinstall the newest firmware and then jailbreak it again. What should I do? Do I just update to 1.4 and then run ziphone?

As a reminder to everybody... NEVER UPDATE... EVER

If you are already jailbroken and try to upgrade you'll just brick the drat thing. You will need to do a factory restore with the newest firmware, and THEN run ziphone. Just make sure you have your poo poo backed up before you do this.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

After I posted this, I actually checked it.

Yes, there is an audible hiss whenever the volume is set to non-zero, and the level of hiss is pretty constant (to my ear) until the volume level goes over about 80% -- then it gets a little louder.

This same hiss happens on my 80Gb Classic, but only starts at about 75% volume.

edit: On a completely unrelated note, it's been two or three weeks since the SDK was released, I wonder why I'm not seeing anything about 3rd-party "official" apps? Does anyone know if Apple has a lengthy "certification" process?

LaptopGun
Sep 2, 2006

All I'm going to get out of him is a snappy one-liner and, if I'm real lucky, a brand new nickname.
Interesting note off of the patent application wire: Apparently Apple patented a new Nike+iPod function for the Touch. Whether this turns out to be anything remains to be seen. Basically the touch designs a workout program for you. Kinda neat.

http://laptoplogic.com/news/detail.php?id=4671&PHPSESSID=d2f301b30ea834a73e16f745e11348d4

CanuckBassist
Mar 20, 2007

Edit: Nevermind.

New problem!
So I upgraded to 1.1.4 and jailbroke with Ziphone. I see the Mail, Weather, and other apps while SSHing, but their icons are not on the main screen. Anyways I can get them on there without messing with the N45AP.plist?

CanuckBassist fucked around with this message at 05:31 on Mar 28, 2008

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

Yes, there is an audible hiss whenever the volume is set to non-zero, and the level of hiss is pretty constant (to my ear) until the volume level goes over about 80% -- then it gets a little louder.
With the Sony MDR, the hiss is barely noticable, considering the power they need to be driven. The Creative in-ear phones I've gotten with the laptop exhibit a terrible noise floor, but also need less power.

I was wondering if this is normal. That Sony cellphone of mine has a way lower noise floor. Which is ironic, since theoretically it's just a lovely cellphone.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

I finally got everything working today! Is there a way to browse the contents of the iPod? I installed the NES emulator, but don't have a way to put games to play on it.

Edit: Nevermind. OP. :downs:

explosivo fucked around with this message at 17:48 on Mar 28, 2008

Syrup Sponge
Feb 16, 2006
Some say he's half man, half fish, others say it's a 40/60 split, either way, he's one fishy bastard.
I'm going on a very lengthy 12 hour plane ride to Bangkok in a little while with my ipod touch.

Anyone know what kind of battery life I'll be looking to get running the gpsphone Gameboy Advance emulator?

Wanna kill the time with some mad pokemon marathonzz.

Y2JMatrix94
Aug 24, 2005

Working overtime, fighting crime!
Is there a way to change the GBA emulator to display in portrait instead of landscape? My thumbs are to fat and cover to much of the screen for my liking.

sleepyinsomniac
Jun 18, 2004
zzzzz

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

This same hiss happens on my 80Gb Classic, but only starts at about 75% volume.

edit: On a completely unrelated note, it's been two or three weeks since the SDK was released, I wonder why I'm not seeing anything about 3rd-party "official" apps? Does anyone know if Apple has a lengthy "certification" process?

Because 3rd-party "official" apps must be released through the App Store, which won't be available until June.

Turtle Soup
Mar 6, 2006

in the San Siro
Is there anyway to delete the bookmarks in safari? I like to keep everything nice and neat and they're just getting automatically added when I browse.

edit: turns out im an idiot

Turtle Soup fucked around with this message at 12:05 on Mar 31, 2008

shoafer0
Jan 26, 2004

meh
Well, trying to restore from recovery mode and I keep getting error 1604. Any ideas?

shoafer0 fucked around with this message at 19:14 on Mar 31, 2008

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

I got that fixed by uninstalling and reinstalling iTunes.

shoafer0
Jan 26, 2004

meh

explosivo posted:

I got that fixed by uninstalling and reinstalling iTunes.

I think I did the same thing by just deleting the update file from within the Application data folder. Ran the restore again, it downloaded the file, and restored just fine.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

Syrup Sponge posted:

I'm going on a very lengthy 12 hour plane ride to Bangkok in a little while with my ipod touch.

Anyone know what kind of battery life I'll be looking to get running the gpsphone Gameboy Advance emulator?

Wanna kill the time with some mad pokemon marathonzz.

This is late, but from my experience I'd guess about 3.5 hours, give or take 30 minutes.

KelteN
Sep 12, 2001

Are there any alternatives to iTunes that can transfer music and videos to the iTouch? I usually use anapod, but of course they don't support the iTouch yet.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

KelteN posted:

Are there any alternatives to iTunes that can transfer music and videos to the iTouch? I usually use anapod, but of course they don't support the iTouch yet.

Rumor is the latest beta version of MediaMonkey works for the iPhone/Touch. I haven't tried it, though.

turbo sex bat 4000
Mar 12, 2001

do you know what the waiting lists are like even to get into an apprentice jerksmanship
Can you disable the accelerometer or somehow force it to stay on the now playing screen? I hate having to turn the drat thing when I pull it out of my pocket to change songs

notation
Aug 11, 2004

turbo sex bat 4000 posted:

Can you disable the accelerometer or somehow force it to stay on the now playing screen? I hate having to turn the drat thing when I pull it out of my pocket to change songs

You could always double-tap the home button to bring up the music controls (assuming your Touch is locked when in your pocket).

I was listening to music the other day, and while on the "Now Playing" screen I double tapped the home button. Instead of pulling up a set of music controls, it took me to an iPhone menu. I know that there are no phone parts in the Touch, but my heart still skipped a beat.

McPhearson
Aug 4, 2007

Hot Damn!

CanuckBassist posted:

Edit: Nevermind.

New problem!
So I upgraded to 1.1.4 and jailbroke with Ziphone. I see the Mail, Weather, and other apps while SSHing, but their icons are not on the main screen. Anyways I can get them on there without messing with the N45AP.plist?

There is. Add applerepo.com to your list of sources and you'll see package that's about 350kb that unlocks them.

BTW, since the firmware already has them I don't think these are :filez:, but if need be I'll go ahead and edit this post to remove it.

skidooer
Aug 6, 2001

turbo sex bat 4000 posted:

I hate having to turn the drat thing when I pull it out of my pocket to change songs
PocketTouch will let you change the song by swiping the touchpad. No need to even take it out of your pocket.

CanuckBassist
Mar 20, 2007

Anyone having problems with cookies after jailbreaking with Ziphone? I've restored to factory settings and ran ziphone a few times, and after each jailbreak, I'll log into the forums or some other site, and then after navigating a page or two later, I'll be logged out.

Optimus Fish
Apr 16, 2003

CanuckBassist posted:

Anyone having problems with cookies after jailbreaking with Ziphone? I've restored to factory settings and ran ziphone a few times, and after each jailbreak, I'll log into the forums or some other site, and then after navigating a page or two later, I'll be logged out.

Thank GOD i'm not the only one noticing this. I never had this problem when I used the official dev team method, but both times i've used Ziphone, it's basically poo poo the bed when it comes to cookies.

I've used both Ziphone 2.6 and the newly released 3.0 and it still wants me to log in on every page, even when I set the cookies to it's least secure setting.

It's annoying the everloving hell out of me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

turbo sex bat 4000
Mar 12, 2001

do you know what the waiting lists are like even to get into an apprentice jerksmanship

notation posted:

You could always double-tap the home button to bring up the music controls (assuming your Touch is locked when in your pocket).

Awesome, I was getting frustrated that double clicking doesnt work in coverflow.

• Locked thread