Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC
I just had another weird idea. I realized I would like the show 100% more if it simply dropped any premise of trying to be helpful, and instead picked up the premise of simply trying to make weird, off the wall creations. Basically filling the format of "I wonder if you could _____ a ____ with _______." which is what they already do, but instead on trying to "improve" things, they are basically just proposing insane ideas, like crazy mad scientist style booby-traps, weird ways to armor a vehicle, or transforming machinery into other things (kinda like monster garage, but with a much more destructive slant) and so on and so forth. Could even keep the title.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Demented Footstool
Jan 3, 2007

Do Not Summon The Fire

Turtle Repairman posted:

Is anybody watching Ax Man on the History Channel?

I've seen the first two episodes and they're pretty good. I know it's not something I'd like to do to make a living.

Ape Agitator
Feb 19, 2004

Soylent Green is Monkeys
College Slice

ToastyPotato posted:

I just had another weird idea

It's not a bad idea. Discovery has been airing a show that's just two yahoos who they gave a high speed camera to. Instead of making it something big and meaningful, they do fun stupid poo poo like tossing water balloons at one another's faces or having a guy punch someone in the face. It's pure and far better a show in concept than Smash Lab. And it's pretty engaging when they point out stuff like how eyes go a little googly when you get hit.

If Smash Lab dropped the pretentiousness and self-importance it'd be the first of many steps in the right direction. Dropping the idiotic self labeling and the conversationalized scripted discussions (which they don't have a fraction of the MB team's charisma to pull off entertainingly) would be the next step. I feel like hitting myself for watching them do something for 15 minutes just to go "well, we learned that free falling for 3/4rs of a building's height before slowing was scary" or "well, our boat delivery idea was impractical and unsafe as is our standard so all of that time was a waste".

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Ape Agitator posted:

It's not a bad idea. Discovery has been airing a show that's just two yahoos who they gave a high speed camera to. Instead of making it something big and meaningful, they do fun stupid poo poo like tossing water balloons at one another's faces or having a guy punch someone in the face. It's pure and far better a show in concept than Smash Lab. And it's pretty engaging when they point out stuff like how eyes go a little googly when you get hit.

What show is this?

ToastyPotato posted:

I just had another weird idea. I realized I would like the show 100% more if it simply dropped any premise of trying to be helpful, and instead picked up the premise of simply trying to make weird, off the wall creations. Basically filling the format of "I wonder if you could _____ a ____ with _______." which is what they already do, but instead on trying to "improve" things, they are basically just proposing insane ideas, like crazy mad scientist style booby-traps, weird ways to armor a vehicle, or transforming machinery into other things (kinda like monster garage, but with a much more destructive slant) and so on and so forth. Could even keep the title.

I don't know, the ideas are still too retarded to be entertaining. If they amped it up to James Bond gadget/villain levels of insanity, it might work, but they'd need to stop pretending they're taking it seriously.

Ape Agitator
Feb 19, 2004

Soylent Green is Monkeys
College Slice

IRQ posted:

What show is this?

Ah, found it. It's called Time Warp and I guess tonight was their permiere on Discovery. I think you can find video clips of it on Discovery's video site.

Avarcirwen
Mar 7, 2008

Goons: The only group more socially conservative than Mormons.

Ape Agitator posted:

Ah, found it. It's called Time Warp and I guess tonight was their permiere on Discovery. I think you can find video clips of it on Discovery's video site.

It's pretty cool, now I know how dogs drink! :)

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

IfYouSeeKay posted:

The idea for this week was to stop bank robbers by creating huge sand pits around banks and blowing air through the sand. This will create "fluidized sand" and trap the thieves.
I'm sick of the word "fluidized" now, thanks to these jackasses.

Hawkman posted:

Oops we hosed up and nearly got killed again because we're retarded and have no idea what we're doing, let's blame the rockets instead of our own incompetence *highfive, repeat from 80 angles in slow motion*
Watching these idiots go through their "tests" is really terrible. I watched an old Mythbusters yesterday (exploding water heater/burning denim) and everything they do is designed around safety.

The main crew has emergency stop valves, good distance, personnel on hand, safety suits, helmets.

Meanwhile, Tard Lab is testing Quicksand and their idea of trials is "Well we haven't had a person stand on bricks while the sand turns quick, but GO FOR IT". Of course their teammate doesn't stop to say "Can I get a helmet and maybe some padding please?"

The "epilogue" was awesome, too, with the Voice saying something like "It could be years before you see a sand trap at your local bank!". Years? How about never?

Oh god though. Either the team is a bunch of morons from Internet Correspondence University or the show is assembled by committee and no one knows what the gently caress.
"We're here to see if you can use bulletproof steel to make sure that a plane is crash proof...."
*1 week later*
"Turns out that the steel makes the plane too heavy to take off, so we've attached these booster rockets on it! JAWSOME!"
"Turns out the rockets ripped the wings right off of the plane... Guess this idea is SMASHED, huh guys?"

FilthyImp fucked around with this message at 10:50 on Mar 21, 2008

IfYouSeeKay
Jul 21, 2003

I want to feel you from the inside

McSpanky posted:

I'd love to see Mike Rowe filing reports at an insurance company and being like "remember that one time I was diving in poisonous human waste? Yeah, I kind of miss that now."

Mike Rowe should take over the Tonight Show or something. I really don't know what he could end up doing, but the guy has so much potential.

ANGRY VIRGIN GAMER
Jul 5, 2007

by The Finn

IfYouSeeKay posted:

Mike Rowe should take over the Tonight Show or something. I really don't know what he could end up doing, but the guy has so much potential.

He really just oozes charisma, and has a voice that would be perfect for a talk show, really. Perhaps Late Night after Conan leaves? :krad:

quote:

Watching these idiots go through their "tests" is really terrible. I watched an old Mythbusters yesterday (exploding water heater/burning denim) and everything they do is designed around safety.

The main crew has emergency stop valves, good distance, personnel on hand, safety suits, helmets.

Example: On Mythbusters, they were testing the "drop a toaster into the bathtub" thing. They constructed a set, put a bathtub in there, filled it with water, made a full-sized ballistics gel dummy with a fake "heart", and then put said appliances on a remote-collapsible shelf.

On Smash Lab, one guy would get in the bathtub (in a real bathroom of course) and the other guy would be standing in the tub with him and then just drop the toaster in while giving each other thumbs up and giggling.

Hawkman
Aug 6, 2002

daaaaaaaaaaaaaamn

Filthy Assistant posted:

He really just oozes charisma, and has a voice that would be perfect for a talk show, really. Perhaps Late Night after Conan leaves? :krad:

Example: On Mythbusters, they were testing the "drop a toaster into the bathtub" thing. They constructed a set, put a bathtub in there, filled it with water, made a full-sized ballistics gel dummy with a fake "heart", and then put said appliances on a remote-collapsible shelf.

On Smash Lab, one guy would get in the bathtub (in a real bathroom of course) and the other guy would be standing in the tub with him and then just drop the toaster in while giving each other thumbs up and giggling.
I suspect that the primary reason Discovery is keeping this show going is some executive's fervent hope that one or more of the cast members will eventually die in a safety mishap during the filming of an episode.

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

Hawkman posted:

I suspect that the primary reason Discovery is keeping this show going is some executive's fervent hope that one or more of the cast members will eventually die in a safety mishap during the filming of an episode.

I think it's because they spent so much money on it that they are hoping that spending even more on it will fix it, rather than take the loss. It's like when you loan someone an additional $20 hoping that will convince them to pay you the $20 they already owed you from before.

CaptainCrunch
Mar 19, 2006
droppin Hamiltons!

Filthy Assistant posted:

Perhaps Late Night after Conan leaves?

Only if he conducts interviews with the guests at Dirty Jobs locales.

"I'm Mike Rowe and I'm interviewing Barak Obama from the deck of this Deep Sea Cable Laying Ship. Barak, give me a hand with this winch. By the way, what's going to be your take on foreign policy?"

ANGRY VIRGIN GAMER
Jul 5, 2007

by The Finn

CaptainCrunch posted:

Only if he conducts interviews with the guests at Dirty Jobs locales.

"I'm Mike Rowe and I'm interviewing Barak Obama from the deck of this Deep Sea Cable Laying Ship. Barak, give me a hand with this winch. By the way, what's going to be your take on foreign policy?"

I'll admit, I would love seeing Mike interview a political bigshot with his arm up a cow's rear end.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Filthy Assistant posted:

I'll admit, I would love seeing Mike interview a political bigshot with his arm up a cow's rear end.

Now that's some reality TV I could go for.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together
I haven't seen too much Mike Rowe but do they ever specify what counts as a "Dirty Job"? I mean sure, there's stuff like pig farmer or septic tank emptier but some of the others seem merely tedious or annoying.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

ElwoodCuse posted:

I haven't seen too much Mike Rowe but do they ever specify what counts as a "Dirty Job"? I mean sure, there's stuff like pig farmer or septic tank emptier but some of the others seem merely tedious or annoying.

I think it's a lot like Mythbusters, in that the definition is probably as flexible as it needs to be to have enough material to produce a show. Perhaps even moreso in the case of Dirty Jobs, which is apparently fueled entirely by viewer submissions.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

ElwoodCuse posted:

They ran out of real dirty jobs years ago, is what it amounts to. Half the best ones they've found recently seem to be tourist traps they saw billboards for on the way to whatever and said "that poo poo would totally be a good show," like the reptile farm episode etc.

Regardless though, I'd watch Mike Rowe do any job as long as he screws it up enough to fluster the real employee and then is a sarcastic rear end about it.

Free Market Gravy
Sep 17, 2005

IRQ posted:

They ran out of real dirty jobs years ago, is what it amounts to. Half the best ones they've found recently seem to be tourist traps they saw billboards for on the way to whatever and said "that poo poo would totally be a good show," like the reptile farm episode etc.

Regardless though, I'd watch Mike Rowe do any job as long as he screws it up enough to fluster the real employee and then is a sarcastic rear end about it.

Yeah, you'll find some "dirty" jobs like the barnacle cleaner a few episodes ago and so forth, but I think a lot of it may have to do with the people who really do have dirty jobs liking Mike Rowe and liking the show, but just not wanting to be on TV and not wanting to basically sacrifice a day or two of work by having filming going on since I'm sure, even with the crew trying to stay as out of the way as possible, they impede progress, especially with Mike loving up everything he touches being such an essential part of the show.

That said, I already made it clear that I'd watch an hour of Mike Rowe reading dry instruction manuals into an 8mm camera and probably find it enthralling, so to me, what jobs he does matters less and less to me. I'd actually love to see Mike Rowe sell TVs in a Circuit City for a day or something.

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 16 days!

IRQ posted:

They should make a new Mike Rowe show just called "Jobs."

He's genuinely what makes Dirty Jobs as good as it is anyway, not that the jobs are dirty, so just let him do any old thing. I'd watch.

I'd put Futureweapons on my season pass thing if Mike was hosting it. Instead of popping a HIGH SPEED LOW DRAG TACTIBONER over whatever the show is about, he'd just ask which end to point where and what to pull and have a giant grin on his face after blowing something up.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Free Market Gravy posted:

Yeah, you'll find some "dirty" jobs like the barnacle cleaner a few episodes ago and so forth, but I think a lot of it may have to do with the people who really do have dirty jobs liking Mike Rowe and liking the show, but just not wanting to be on TV and not wanting to basically sacrifice a day or two of work by having filming going on since I'm sure, even with the crew trying to stay as out of the way as possible, they impede progress, especially with Mike loving up everything he touches being such an essential part of the show.

Yeah, I can understand that. I used to work in the press of the newspaper up in Green Bay, WI, and that definitely qualifies as a dirty job (just cleaning the blankets on the press, alone, is disgusting) ... but having a Dirty Jobs crew out there for a day would pretty much bring the production of the paper to a grinding halt, and then the grouchy old people in town would wonder why their paper wasn't there at 5 AM.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

So can we safely say that the problem with most of Discovery's bad shows is that Mike isn't hosting them?

I'd have to say that I'd probably watch the gently caress out of Smash Lab if it was Mike and his camera crew breaking poo poo.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

Anyone catch the preview for the next episode of Smash Lab? They are going to end car chases by using CO2 to screw the engines. Sounds kinda cool right? Then why does the commercial spend a great deal of time showing them trying to shoot the CO2 from a police car that is IN FRONT of the suspect vehicle? Not really ending car chases if the police still have to get in front of the damned suspect, which they already do to perform the box in maneuver. Which is probably a SAFER way to end a chase since, I dunno, the suspect wouldn't be swerving like a madman trying to dodge the CO2 blast.

To their credit, there was a brief shot at some road mounted rig that shot a ton of the stuff as well, but I HIGHLY doubt that can be set up quicker or that it is cheaper than tire spikes.

Even the previews are retarded. You don't even need to watch the show to be horribly disappointed!

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Wait wait, the idea is to spray so much CO2 that it chokes the engine into stalling from lack of oxygen?

I just don't understand, this kind of poo poo must require teams of people trying to concoct retarded ideas - you can't come up with stuff that stunningly retarded without actively trying.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

IRQ posted:

Wait wait, the idea is to spray so much CO2 that it chokes the engine into stalling from lack of oxygen?

I just don't understand, this kind of poo poo must require teams of people trying to concoct retarded ideas - you can't come up with stuff that stunningly retarded without actively trying.

I picture Adam and Jamie snickering somewhere, huddled over a computer as they email horrible ideas to the Smash Lab production team.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

IRQ posted:

Yeah, he could make anything amazing.

I think "dirty job" is just referring to the jobs most people wouldn't ever consider doing now. Not necessarily dirty, but unappealing.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

IntoTheNihil posted:

I think "dirty job" is just referring to the jobs most people wouldn't ever consider doing now. Not necessarily dirty, but unappealing.

"poo poo Jobs" didn't pass the censors :smith:

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

IntoTheNihil posted:

Yeah, he could make anything amazing.

And sometimes it's both, like the guys who take cattle carcasses and process them into bleached bones. :barf:

Butthole Prince
Nov 19, 2004

She said that she was working for the ABC News / It was as much of the alphabet as she knew how to use.

Filthy Assistant posted:

Discovery Channel should wise up while they have him under contract and start their own late night talk show with him as host. Give it some kind of Discovery-type angle in some way if need be.

ANGRY VIRGIN GAMER
Jul 5, 2007

by The Finn

Butthole Prince posted:

Discovery Channel should wise up while they have him under contract and start their own late night talk show with him as host. Give it some kind of Discovery-type angle in some way if need be.

Maybe Mike could pass out some "cherubical information" between guests!

But yes him interviewing various Discovery people, like the Mythbusters, etc, would be pretty great. Perhaps discussing what bugs taste the best with Les. SO MUCH UNUSED POTENTIAL, DISCOVERY!

SLOSifl
Aug 10, 2002

Filthy Assistant posted:

Yeah, but at the same time, they've done some cool stuff on Smash Lab. The episode with the fluidized sand traps was awesome. It actually proved to be an impressively effective security system.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

That's a troll right?

SmackAttack
Dec 29, 2004

I eat kitties....

SLOSifl posted:

Yeah, but at the same time, they've done some cool stuff on Smash Lab. The episode with the fluidized sand traps was awesome. It actually proved to be an impressively effective security system.

Either I'm sucking at detecting sarcasm or you watched an entirely different episode than I did. There was nothing "awesome", "impressive", or "effective" in that episode.

anotherone
Feb 8, 2001
Username taken, please choose another one

SmackAttack posted:

Either I'm sucking at detecting sarcasm or you watched an entirely different episode than I did. There was nothing "awesome", "impressive", or "effective" in that episode.

It wasn't "impressively awesomely effective", but it was kind of cool. The CO2 car knockout thing wasn't a terrible concept but they executed it terribly.

If you have Comcast OnDemand you should check the Discovery Bust/Smash section, there's a new Vlog featuring Kari talking about her boobs. The women's restroom at M5 has fan art of Tory pasted up all over the walls.

Darth Freddy
Feb 6, 2007

An Emperor's slightest dislike is transmitted to those who serve him, and there it is amplified into rage.
This week on smash brothers, the smash brothers having seen the beer commercial with bubble wrap. They have decided to bomb proof a plane by yes that’s right putting it in bubble wrap!

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

Darth Freddy posted:

This week on smash brothers, the smash brothers having seen the beer commercial with bubble wrap. They have decided to bomb proof a plane by yes that’s right putting it in bubble wrap!

I'm having trouble following their logic on this one (ok, I have trouble with all of their "experiments")

Wouldn't containing an explosion inside the fuselage just increase the probability that everyone inside dies of massive trauma from the pressure wave?

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Oneiros posted:

I'm having trouble following their logic on this one (ok, I have trouble with all of their "experiments")

Wouldn't containing an explosion inside the fuselage just increase the probability that everyone inside dies of massive trauma from the pressure wave?

Your mistake is assuming that any logic is applied at all.

edit: gently caress me, isn't this the same airplane graveyard Mythbusters BUSTED the explosive decompression myth that this assholes are trying to protect against? And couldn't afford more than one really lovely jet, whereas these idiots get two nice looking ones? :argh:

IRQ fucked around with this message at 03:38 on Apr 10, 2008

Darth Freddy
Feb 6, 2007

An Emperor's slightest dislike is transmitted to those who serve him, and there it is amplified into rage.

Oneiros posted:

They know nothing about explosive pressures. Any one that has taken a basic physics class knows that any time an explosion is contained it starts to multiply the explosive power. So the entire scene of them trying to just lay the bubble wrap on the fire ball maker had me laughing my rear end off.

Now they are pressurizing a plane, and from what I understand most planes aren’t even pressurized any more and that its been causing a lot of health problems. And now that they can’t get it all the way up to 7PSI their solution is just to add more explosives.

But you are right if they some how managed to contain the explosion even partially most of the people in the plane would be turned to jelly if not just having their ear drums ruptured and killed from the over pressure.

IRQ posted:

edit: gently caress me, isn't this the same airplane graveyard Mythbusters BUSTED the explosive decompression myth that this assholes are trying to protect against? And couldn't afford more than one really lovely jet, whereas these idiots get two nice looking ones? :argh:

Yup same graveyard. Myth Busters was something like a bullet hole though and not an actually explosive charge taking out part of the hull.

I would kill if Myth Busters would get these guys budget.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Darth Freddy posted:

Now they are pressurizing a plane, and from what I understand most planes aren’t even pressurized any more and that its been causing a lot of health problems.

Huh?

I'm fairly certain you pass out and die from the air being too thin past a certain altitude and that pressurization is the easiest way to keep that from happening. I.e. it would be very difficult to carry enough compressed oxygen to pump into the cabin for a several hour flight to keep the air O2 rich enough?

I'm certainly no expert on this though.

IRQ fucked around with this message at 03:49 on Apr 10, 2008

Darth Freddy
Feb 6, 2007

IRQ posted:

Huh?

I'm fairly certain you pass out and die from the air being too thin past a certain altitude and that pressurization is the easiest way to keep that from happening. I.e. it would be very difficult to carry enough compressed oxygen to pump into the cabin for a several hour flight to keep the air O2 rich enough?

I'm certainly no expert on this though.

Either am I. I just remember a private pilot told me that commercial planes were no longer pressurized. So people have been having heart attacks and other blood pressure type problems. I may have it rear end backwards though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darth Freddy
Feb 6, 2007

This just in they accept the bomb may kill some inside, but those that survive will be able to safely land the plane.

• Locked thread