Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zakalwe
May 12, 2002

Wanted For:
  • Terrorism
  • Kidnapping
  • Poor Taste
  • Unlawful Carnal Gopher Knowledge
Some pedals.

First up is the new Ibanez TubeKing TK999HT. Not to be confused with the old TubeKing Pedal, this thing has lots of gain, great EQ (TMBP) and also a noise gate with user selectable threshold. It's made of really thick metal and it's pretty drat heavy. Just right now I've been running my DS2 into it with a bit of dist and the Turbo mode on and I've got a great Judas Priest tone going on

Pedal Number Two. I did a lot of searching for a good reverb pedal and this is what I came away with. It's got more reverb than you'll ever need and the choices of reverb type are excellent. It's also (unlike some other reverb pedals *cough*Holy Grail*cough*) really quiet. So far I really like the plate setting. Dial in a touch of that and it goes well into both my clean and dirty tones. A bit more of the spring setting goes excellent with some lead work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BizarroBrian
Jan 7, 2004

Dear Mr. President, There are too many states nowadays. Please eliminate three. P.S. I am not a crack-pot.
On a whim, I bought this Dean Nashvegas for $150 from a local shop.

I really wanted a tele, but didn't really want to spend too much. The guitar actually plays really well for something made in china...the neck is actually really fast. The neck though is a slightly wider and slimmer than a standard tele. While the pickups aren't too terrible considering the price, I'll probably throw a set of custom shop texas specials in this weekend.

ForbiddenWonder
Feb 15, 2003

That white pickup will look really sharp on that.

Capitan Dad
May 16, 2007

shemaghs are so gay its like smegma hahaha

ForbiddenWonder posted:

That white pickup will look really sharp on that.

It's chrome.

Tyja
Jul 16, 2006

The tattered outlaw of the earth,
Of ancient crooked will;
Starve, scourge, deride me: I am dumb,
I keep my secret still.

beefnoodle posted:

Yamaha FG-410-12A, $100 on Craigslist, in perfect condition (pics borrowed from Elderly.com, since I've not taken any of my own yet).

I'm excited - I've never owned a 12-string before, and I'm loving that sound.

If you're anything like me, you'll adore it.

Drazzy
Oct 5, 2003

If I had $20 right now, I'd probably put it towards one of my many bills that I have yet to pay.

Not mine, unfortunately. My neighbors dad is a music distributor in Canada and has contacts with pretty much every company under the sun. I picked this up for a friend. Got it for $130CDN, no tax, no shipping. Done deal. Beats the $150+tax+shipping Musicians Friend price!

ATwoSlotToaster
Nov 6, 2004

You're toast!
I just got back from the store and I got an awesome deal! I bought some damaged Moroccan bongos for $25 that normally sell for about $200. The ceramic is cracked and so I just shot some hot glue in the crack (though it didn't really need it, the drum's tension held everything in place just fine). It sounds great too! I'm very happy with this! Here is a picture, sizes are 7" small drum and 10" large drum.

Los Padre
Mar 26, 2007

Los Padre is an interesting and sensitive fellow.

Pyrthas posted:

Posted it a month ago! I did say that I'd be happy forever if I got a 1930s Epiphone shortly before pulling the trigger, though... It has an awful lot to live up to.

I will try to post some clips.

Where my clips, son?

Pyrthas
Jan 22, 2007

Los Padre posted:

Where my clips, son?
It arrived yesterday evening and I didn't get a chance to string it up and play it until rather late last night. I'll get clips up today or tomorrow (probably tomorrow).

PoorPeteBest
Oct 13, 2005

We're not hitchhiking anymore! We're riding!
Highway One Telecaster:

I got it at an incredible price through MF's scratch and dent sale. I think I'm going to throw a black pickguard on there just because I like that look better. Also, has anyone ever done the 4-way mod on a Tele? I was previously looking at a Baja Tele with the 4-way built in and really liked the sounds I could get when the pickups were in series.

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Listen, Mr. Kansas Law Dog.
Law don't go around here.
Savvy?

PoorPeteBest posted:

Highway One Telecaster:

I got it at an incredible price through MF's scratch and dent sale. I think I'm going to throw a black pickguard on there just because I like that look better. Also, has anyone ever done the 4-way mod on a Tele? I was previously looking at a Baja Tele with the 4-way built in and really liked the sounds I could get when the pickups were in series.
My tele's got a 4-way and it really opens up the guitar a lot. I wired it based on the Seymour Duncan 4-way tele mod diagram and the added functionality makes the guitar pretty much cover every range of tone. The extra spot you're adding is an alternative to the usual mid position on a tele- it runs both pickups, but instead of running them in series like usual which halves the impedance and cancels hum, it puts them into parallel so there's no hum cancellation but a much higher output and a hotter sound.

Chows
Apr 13, 2002

Carbohydrates posted:

My tele's got a 4-way and it really opens up the guitar a lot. I wired it based on the Seymour Duncan 4-way tele mod diagram and the added functionality makes the guitar pretty much cover every range of tone. The extra spot you're adding is an alternative to the usual mid position on a tele- it runs both pickups, but instead of running them in series like usual which halves the impedance and cancels hum, it puts them into parallel so there's no hum cancellation but a much higher output and a hotter sound.

You've got your descriptions of series and parallel reversed.

Also series and parallel are both hum cancelling as long as one pickup is RWRP.

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Savvy?

Chows posted:

You've got your descriptions of series and parallel reversed.

Also series and parallel are both hum cancelling as long as one pickup is RWRP.
drat. I wasn't too sure on one or the other but at least I got the gist of it. :)

nah thanks
Jun 18, 2004

Take me out.

Avd1Thng posted:

I just got back from the store and I got an awesome deal! I bought some damaged Moroccan bongos for $25 that normally sell for about $200. The ceramic is cracked and so I just shot some hot glue in the crack (though it didn't really need it, the drum's tension held everything in place just fine). It sounds great too! I'm very happy with this! Here is a picture, sizes are 7" small drum and 10" large drum.

So jealous. I don't know why, but I've recently fallen in love with the sounds of pitched percussion (synth drums, bells, hang drums, bongos, etc), and a nice pair of bongos would be rad if I could justify it.

Livingston
Jun 28, 2007

:zombie:hiiitsss:zombie:

I just got the strat two Saturdays ago (it's an '08 American Standard). My first guitar was a Squier strat and I haven't had one since. That single coil sound is pretty great :banjo:

PenguinBob
Oct 12, 2000

Livingston posted:

I just got the strat two Saturdays ago (it's an '08 American Standard). My first guitar was a Squier strat and I haven't had one since. That single coil sound is pretty great :banjo:

i'm more interested in that acoustic with two pickguards.

Livingston
Jun 28, 2007

PenguinBob posted:

i'm more interested in that acoustic with two pickguards.

That's a J-180. I got it 5 or 6 years ago. I had a hard time finding one, so I special ordered it through a local retailer. It's the Everly Brothers signature guitar. Luckily, there's no indication of that on the guitar itself. :)

lechunnel
Jun 16, 2007

Is that Ivana Trump?

Livingston posted:

Sexy guitars.

God that's a pretty Les Paul. Are the pickups gold, or is that just a reflection of the light around it?

Livingston
Jun 28, 2007

lechunnel posted:

God that's a pretty Les Paul. Are the pickups gold, or is that just a reflection of the light around it?

All of the hardware is gold. I once had grand plans to switch it all out to nickel, but the gold has grown on me over time.

lechunnel
Jun 16, 2007

Is that Ivana Trump?
It's gorgeous! What could possess you to change it to nickel?

Susano-maku da!
Nov 12, 2003

Hi. Did you order the Mongolian… Beef?
Good thing you didn't... Gold works with the creme highlights of the guitar.

XYZAB
Jun 29, 2003

HNNNNNGG!!
Can anyone recommend me a cheap, accurate Dallas Rangemaster clone?

MUNG
Apr 8, 2003

Handen posted:

Can anyone recommend me a cheap, accurate Dallas Rangemaster clone?

HBE Germania 44

gotly
Oct 28, 2007
Economy-Sized

Livingston posted:

All of the hardware is gold. I once had grand plans to switch it all out to nickel, but the gold has grown on me over time.

I'm not sure if mine is nickel, I think it's chrome (Ibanez ARC100) but it sure does look pretty. The flash did a number on these pictures, I should get some pics outside.

Drazzy
Oct 5, 2003

If I had $20 right now, I'd probably put it towards one of my many bills that I have yet to pay.
Just bugged my Music Distributor friend, and he's getting me one of these badboys for 100CDN, new!

MXR Carbon Copy Analog Delay

Only registered members can see post attachments!

jfreder
Feb 27, 2008

Roland TD-6SW

I have a couple acoustic sets back at my mom's house but I haven't played for a couple years since I went away to college. Finally decided I wanted to drum again and spent too much money on this set, although I did find it for $1200 which isn't bad. I'll be trying to get more mesh heads as soon as I can stand to spend more money on it, because feeling is my biggest problem with ekits. I've seen some muted brass cymbals for edrums around, and might look into getting some of those as well.

I've also been wanting a guitar to try to learn the basics for awhile, and have been thinking about getting an Agile TC-630 since everyone seems so fond of the Rondo stuff. Any opinions on that for a first guitar? Looking to get a good grasp on rhythm guitar/chords etc.

Can't wait to get back into music, seems like its the only worthwhile hobby I've tried out.

PoorPeteBest
Oct 13, 2005

jfreder posted:

I've also been wanting a guitar to try to learn the basics for awhile, and have been thinking about getting an Agile TC-630 since everyone seems so fond of the Rondo stuff. Any opinions on that for a first guitar? Looking to get a good grasp on rhythm guitar/chords etc.

Can't wait to get back into music, seems like its the only worthwhile hobby I've tried out.

Personally I'd recommend an acoustic over an electric for a first guitar. It requires less investment on your part and I think it helps you develop better technique. An amp can often hide a lot of your mistakes and I think the acoustic forces you to listen to what you're doing more.

That being said the Agiles are decent guitars but many people buy them to upgrade pick-ups and such. For a similar price you might be able to get a Mexican Fender or even an American Peavey on eBay which are usually pretty good entry level instruments.

jfreder
Feb 27, 2008
And less than 24 hours later, I've canceled my order for the Rolands. I'm talking to a Pintech dealer to hopefully get a custom set put together that I'll be happier with. Otherwise, I'll just suck it up and re-order the Rolands.

PoorPeteBest posted:

Personally I'd recommend an acoustic over an electric for a first guitar. It requires less investment on your part and I think it helps you develop better technique. An amp can often hide a lot of your mistakes and I think the acoustic forces you to listen to what you're doing more.

That being said the Agiles are decent guitars but many people buy them to upgrade pick-ups and such. For a similar price you might be able to get a Mexican Fender or even an American Peavey on eBay which are usually pretty good entry level instruments.

I know what you mean about an acoustic and I used to own one before I started to get serious with the drums. However, with my current living situation, an electric would be more practical(don't want to drive the roommates crazy). I was considering a small headphone amp to practice and learn with. I will definitely look into some MIM stuff, and read more about Peavey. Thanks for the help

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

The price of meat has just gone up, and your old lady has just gone down

I really disagree with the old rag that an electric hides poor technique while an acoustic shows everything. It's really that there are two skillsets which transfer only partially to the other instrument. If you want to learn to play an electric well, then focus on playing an electric. A lot of effects and distortion can hide sloppy playing if you don't pay attention, but there's nothing inherently wrong with buying an electric to play electric. If you want to learn to rip an acoustic, then buy an acoustic.

The finger strength required for acoustic translates into a lack of finesse on the electric if you're expecting a 1:1 transfer of skills. Playing technique changes, as well - for instance, altering the force of your arm on the top can change the tone of an acoustic, and it's something you need to pay attention to in learning to play acoustic well because it's an excellent tool, but it doesn't have a clear analog to anything on the electric. Learning to effectively use your pickups and tone controls on an electric won't do anything for you on an acoustic. They're different animals. The only reason I think this gets brought up is because acoustics are generally harder to play than electrics in terms of basic stuff like fingering, etc., but even that isn't really easier on the electric, but different. Fretting an electric correctly means paying attention to the intonation of chords and notes, and that means developing a variable touch. The same is true of acoustic, of course, but an acoustic tends to resist pressure more strongly and lets you fret evenly without as much attention to anything but putting pressure evenly across the strings to avoid dead notes and fret buzz.

I'm sorry for ranting about this, but I see it all the time and I really disagree. I'll be happy to consider other perspectives if someone will explain to me why they think I'm missing something.

Edit: Current production Agiles are easily on a par, stock, with Made-in-Mexico Fender Standard Strats and Teles. They've upgraded the Agile house pickups significantly, and they no longer require replacement to sound pretty good. The AL-HOT neck and bridge pickup remind me a lot of a Jazz/JB neck/bridge combo, but with less note definition and clarity (and they're a bit darker on the whole). Their other pickups are, as I understand it, much better than they used to be as well. A very easy, cost-effective upgrade comes from a trip over to www.guitarfetish.com, where you can get a variety of pickups for any kind of guitar at excellent prices. I use them in one of my main guitars, a Crunchy Rails in the bridge and Dream 180 in the neck. I also use a set of their J-bass pickups in an SX fretless, really made that bass come to life. For $90 (humbuckers) or less than $80 (for a strat set), you can make your MIM Fender or Agile (or Epiphone, or ESP LTD, or whatever) sound a hell of a lot better.

Agiles have one strong advantage over MIM Fenders, though - workmanship. I wish I were joking, because it sounds ludicrous, but the Agile guitars are much more professionally assembled, with extremely clean, precisely cut and painted/shielded electronics cavities, well managed wiring, etc., while many MIM Fenders have a lot of buffing compound left inside their routed-with-a-dull-tool cavities (seriously, if you're not careful you can sometimes get splinters in your fingers working in some of them), and the wiring can be a nightmare. Some guitars are worse than others on the MIM side, but Agiles are consistently flawless in those regards. It speaks highly of their workmanship that they pay such attention to aspects of the guitar that, let's face it, many guitarists might never even see.

Agreed fucked around with this message at 01:43 on Mar 24, 2008

Drazzy
Oct 5, 2003

Agreed hit the nail on the head. I was super impressed with my Agile AL-3000. I opened up the control cavity just to take a look and was pleasantly surprised to find how clean and neat everything was. Soldering wasn't a mess, the wiring was neat and tidy, and the cavity was smooth, while being coated in some black paint(?) which I'm assuming is for shielding purposes. The back of the panel also had some foil for added shielding :)

Pyrthas
Jan 22, 2007

Pyrthas posted:

It arrived yesterday evening and I didn't get a chance to string it up and play it until rather late last night. I'll get clips up today or tomorrow (probably tomorrow).

There are some mistakes. Excuses: I'm tired, I don't know the song very well, it was just one take. Also I'm not very good, but I don't like that excuse very much.

This is fingerstyle. I'll try to get something with a pick up sometime in the near future.

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Savvy?
Arrived today! Gibson Nashville Les Paul Jr DC (Guitar of the Week #41 Dec 07), my first Gibson guitar.

Initial impressions: Very cool looking, ridiculously thin finish (texture is like the paint on the guitar), aaaaand that's about it. Still at the office so I haven't gotten to tune it up and plug it in yet.

Livingston
Jun 28, 2007

Carbohydrates posted:

Arrived today! Gibson Nashville Les Paul Jr DC (Guitar of the Week #41 Dec 07), my first Gibson guitar.

Initial impressions: Very cool looking, ridiculously thin finish (texture is like the paint on the guitar), aaaaand that's about it. Still at the office so I haven't gotten to tune it up and plug it in yet.

Congratulations! That looks really nice. With that pickguard design, and a single bridge soapbar, you better be ready to do some country twangin' :banjo:

DaFuente
Nov 23, 2003

puppeh

Carbohydrates posted:

That is a loving sexy guitar. Careful with that pickguard though...all the flowers on my J-180 have faded from years of extreme rocking.

PoorPeteBest
Oct 13, 2005

Carbohydrates posted:

I really wish I wouldn't have hesitated when I first saw that pop up on MusiciansFriend. Very nice.

Schatten
Jul 7, 2002

Das ist nicht meine
schnellen Rennwagen

Carbohydrates posted:

Very nice! very clean looking!

Heck, I still haven't had a chance to plug in my newest purchases, let alone, take my Ric away from the office! This is bad!

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Savvy?
Thanks! Now that I've gotten to play it a bit, I can tell you that those flowers are deceptive. Don't be fooled by its innocent looks, this is the ballsiest drat guitar I've played in ages. It has a real bitey growl which is very cool. More overdrive than distortion, if that makes sense. One thing I was happily surprised by is that rolling the tone knob all the way down doesn't muddy it up too much, it still has clarity and definition.

On the other hand, I'm having a hell of a time getting it both clean and loud. I can get it clean and I can sure as hell get it loud, but it really overdrives the amp hard. Not a big deal, since I have no shortage of guitars that can produce a nice clean tone, but the cleanest I could get on a 25w 112 tube amp turned to 7 on volume was still what I would call light overdrive, particularly on the bass strings.

Weight is low, balance is fine. I was worried it might be neck heavy due to the thinner Jr body and heavy Grover tuners, but it's fine.

The finish is awesome. Having played it up and down a bit now, I'm a tad worried about its durability, but it feels SO good. So does the ebony fretboard.

So, in summary, even though it looks like a whitewashed country picker, this thing's a monster and I love it. I would HIGHLY recommend this for anywhere you want overdrive over distortion, but it's definitely not a great call if you only want to have one electric guitar. Too specialized for that.

BusinessWallet
Sep 13, 2005
Today has been the most perfect day I have ever seen

I just put 150 down on this. What is the current standpoint on these?

The Book I Read
Jan 15, 2008
Have to sing about it.

BusinessWallet posted:

I just don't understand why I find this so awesome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

BusinessWallet posted:

EB-3L or short scale?

Either way I love the sound of gibson basses.