Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

apple
May 18, 2003

Jose in the club wearing orange suspenders

Zackarotto posted:

Interesting chapter. I can see those Kushan assassins joining up with Griffith in time, like everybody else does. I gotta say, considering how rarely Berserk is released, that if you really don't like the political Griffith stuff, you might as well find another manga to satiate your bloodlust. Maybe something like Gantz.

That being said, I'd like to see some more old-fashioned Guts chapters soon, preferably chapters where Miura doesn't have to spend 3 months drawing the wood paneling on the side of a boat or a pirate crew of fifty thousand people shown in every frame.

I think these chapters are just the calm before the storm, Miura has never failed to be awesome when he decides that the action begins.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hung Yuri
Aug 29, 2007

by Tiny Fistpump

Zorak posted:

Maybe Guts is going to get a new party member someday :)

I agree with this post. This is exactly what I was thinking. Also, thanks Miura for another 2-page spread of Griffith! Now can we see Guts in the same limelight, he's the cooler character anyways.

Tupperwarez
Apr 4, 2004

"phphphphphphpht"? this is what you're going with?

you sure?

Gvaz posted:

Now can we see Guts in the same limelight, he's the cooler character anyways.
Nah, that ain't his style. Guts has pretty much always been an unsung hero. There were the glory days in the original Band of the Hawk, but that's ancient history.

Besides, you can't roll up behind a dude and split him in half with a giant sword when the limelight is focused on you. :black101:

Moetic Justice
Feb 14, 2004

by Fistgrrl
Just ordered the first couple volumes, this seems really interesting.

Kylaer
Aug 4, 2007
I'm SURE walking around in a respirator at all times in an (even more) OPEN BIDENing society is definitely not a recipe for disaster and anyone that's not cool with getting harassed by CHUDs are cave dwellers. I've got good brain!
I suspect that when the story finally draws to an end, there will be a whole issue just devoted to the sword blow that cuts Griffith in half, millisecond by millisecond, from every angle.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Fallen Rib
Double splash page of godly light shining behind a decapitated griffith, omg sugoi griffithkun hes so amazing!!!

Hatter106
Nov 25, 2006

bolshi fight za homosex
You know, since Griffith is supposed to be the villain and everything, when's the last time we saw him do anything remotely evil? I know he's manipulating everything behind the scenes, but still, a little Femto action wouldn't hurt. Or at least a sinister grin. Something.

Phil_asdf
Oct 9, 2006

by Fistgrrl
Isn't the entire main plot based just on how Gatts/Guts seems like the evil one and Griffith seems like the good one?

OG17
Oct 6, 2002

IF I AM TROLLING REPORT ME!
If you don't want to punch Griffith in the face at every waking moment, you're doing something wrong. That's what the spreads are for - you tear it out, stick it on a wall, and tack another on top when the blood gets too thick.

Dick Milhous Rock!
Aug 9, 1974

:nixon::nixon::nixon::nixon::nixon::nixon::nixon::nixon:

Hatter106 posted:

You know, since Griffith is supposed to be the villain and everything, when's the last time we saw him do anything remotely evil? I know he's manipulating everything behind the scenes, but still, a little Femto action wouldn't hurt. Or at least a sinister grin. Something.

I'm hoping that this'll make that moment seem even more terrible when it comes.

I'm waiting for Gut's party to find out the whole situation, to learn that despite what Griffith is doing that seems good it's all a softball setup so he can live out his twisted petty desires, and the terrible things he dead to gain the power he has now.

Then we get to see how those people react, once they find out Guts is essentially aiming to take down the savior of their kingdom/religion.

Jimmybob
Mar 7, 2005

Zorak posted:

I disagree. The difference is, he is still "waiting and seeing", still following the Demon Emperor despite knowing what it is. Guts would have given it the finger right away (and quite possibly died by doing so), so the difference of course is how much they're willing to take. The Assassins disagree with the horrors the Emperor is doing, but they seem to be too afraid, even if they don't act that way, to act against them.

Guts pretty much already did do that. Back in chapter 275. It was pretty badass too!

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005

Jimmybob posted:

Guts pretty much already did do that. Back in chapter 275. It was pretty badass too!

Yes, but Guts has became a lot more durable since he got the brand/ Berserker Armor, compared to how those assassin guys, which while strong, probably couldn't stand a chance I think against an Apostle, other then maybe a weaker level one.

OG17
Oct 6, 2002

TheOneOutside posted:

Then we get to see how those people react, once they find out Guts is essentially aiming to take down the savior of their kingdom/religion.
I'd rather see how Guts's party reacts once Griffith's in sight and he's ready to tear through everything that gets in the way. I'm really thinking things'll finally end with him having a chance to sacrifice them all for a fair shot, sort of mirroring the Hawks, and I won't be surprised if he takes it.

Zooloo
Mar 30, 2003

just wanted to make you something beautiful

OG17 posted:

I'd rather see how Guts's party reacts once Griffith's in sight and he's ready to tear through everything that gets in the way. I'm really thinking things'll finally end with him having a chance to sacrifice them all for a fair shot, sort of mirroring the Hawks, and I won't be surprised if he takes it.

I would be very surprised.

What makes Guts righteous is his humanity. He wouldn't trade it for cheap demonic power. He will earn power on his own.

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

I can't wait to entertain you.
I think Guts letting them die is precisely the type of thing which won't happen. Guts defending his new comrades and not sacrificing them for his own desires would prove the proper counter to the horrible slaughter of the Hawks earlier.

OG17
Oct 6, 2002

Teek posted:

I think Guts letting them die is precisely the type of thing which won't happen. Guts defending his new comrades and not sacrificing them for his own desires would prove the proper counter to the horrible slaughter of the Hawks earlier.

Zoolooman posted:

I would be very surprised.

What makes Guts righteous is his humanity. He wouldn't trade it for cheap demonic power. He will earn power on his own.
"Righteous" is a really weird word to use. Guts is sort of a nice guy and all, but he's raging against the universe to reach someone that betrayed the heck out of his entire world - he's not acting out of a general idea of justice or good and evil or even assuming a higher moral ground. This is personal. He's not fighting causality for the sake of free will or humanity, but for the sake of Griffith.

If you put Griffith in one hand and basically anything else in the other, I think it's a safe bet which one Guts would go for. Not that I meant he'd actually become some sort of apostle thing, as that'd be the fastest way to invalidate the rest of the book, but I don't think it's out of the question that he'd be given a choice between his companions and Griffith (with whatever details) at the wire, and if that comes up, it's hard to see him turning away. I was even going to add an exception for Caska before, but decided it wasn't necessary. No matter how mellowed he gets, I'm pretty sure Griffith's still first in his heart with a hopelessly massive lead.

I've been thinking this since the party first solidified, and I certainly can't see them fighting Griffith alongside Guts in some final battle. Then again, I'm not convinced that there'll even be a conclusive ultimate Guts/Griffith throwdown, so maybe you shouldn't listen to any of this.

Dick Milhous Rock!
Aug 9, 1974

Guts has already has had a clean shot at Griffith since he started forming his party.

Guess what he chose?

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

Fallen Rib

TheOneOutside posted:

Guts has already has had a clean shot at Griffith since he started forming his party.

Guess what he chose?

When???

Mr. Deathy
Aug 3, 2003

^yeah uh I certainly don't recall that. I can only remember 2 instances in which Gutts has met Griffith after the eclipse, those being when the Godhand are summoned in one of the first view volumes and that other time where Gutts ends up fighting Zodd, which I completely forget the circumstances of too.

Webcormac McCarthy
Nov 26, 2007
Just started reading this. Up to volume 9. Epic is the only way to describe how its been.

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005

Mr. Deathy posted:

^yeah uh I certainly don't recall that. I can only remember 2 instances in which Gutts has met Griffith after the eclipse, those being when the Godhand are summoned in one of the first view volumes and that other time where Gutts ends up fighting Zodd, which I completely forget the circumstances of too.

He was refering to the last one. You know, where Guts goes all loving out and tries to murder-destroy Griffith, even though he looks just like he used to, and is only stopped by Zodd interfering, and then Caska getting in the middle of it.

In other words, Guts already has established that he by no means has he forgotten or forgiven Griffith, no matter what the gently caress he looks like.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

Fallen Rib
I didn't understand the post sequence, but now I get it :shobon: I wasn't quite sure what TheOneOutside was talking about in that 'guess what he chose' deal.

Yea Guts is gonna annihilate Griffith when he gets the chance.

Jedah
Sep 1, 2001

YOU CAN NOT BUST THE KRUST
I'm not sure Gatsu can murder Griffith, or if he does, it's going to have to be the very last manga ever in the Berserk storyline, because then it will be pretty boring afterward.

Honestly, this used to be my favorite manga (or just overall illustrated series, for that matter). I've been reading it since 2002, and it's totally gone down hill lately with all this pussyfooting around and the incredible delays.

One way to really revitalize things would be to make an animated series again. All the events up until now, with the same team that did the last series. That might be difficult since they drat near decided to omit half of the vital details from the events up to the birth of Femto, even going so far as to change important plot lines for no real reason. :(

Hung Yuri
Aug 29, 2007

by Tiny Fistpump

Jedah posted:

I'm not sure Gatsu can murder Griffith, or if he does, it's going to have to be the very last manga ever in the Berserk storyline, because then it will be pretty boring afterward.

Honestly, this used to be my favorite manga (or just overall illustrated series, for that matter). I've been reading it since 2002, and it's totally gone down hill lately with all this pussyfooting around and the incredible delays.

One way to really revitalize things would be to make an animated series again. All the events up until now, with the same team that did the last series. That might be difficult since they drat near decided to omit half of the vital details from the events up to the birth of Femto, even going so far as to change important plot lines for no real reason. :(

I think it ended up being a matter of time constraints really, because Miura was pretty actively involved in the first season. I believe they sent him the script and stuff, and he OK'd it.

Dick Milhous Rock!
Aug 9, 1974

Zorak posted:

He was refering to the last one. You know, where Guts goes all loving out and tries to murder-destroy Griffith, even though he looks just like he used to, and is only stopped by Zodd interfering, and then Caska getting in the middle of it.

In other words, Guts already has established that he by no means has he forgotten or forgiven Griffith, no matter what the gently caress he looks like.

Actually, I was thinking of right when the tower fell, when he has a shot to run out and attack Griffith, who is standing there naked and weaponless, and before he can really lose his poo poo it all drains away when he realizes Caska is standing behind him.

So yeah, if he has a shot without any of his comrades, he'll take it as he is right now. If he has to protect someone though...

OG17
Oct 6, 2002

TheOneOutside posted:

Actually, I was thinking of right when the tower fell, when he has a shot to run out and attack Griffith, who is standing there naked and weaponless, and before he can really lose his poo poo it all drains away when he realizes Caska is standing behind him.

So yeah, if he has a shot without any of his comrades, he'll take it as he is right now. If he has to protect someone though...
Maybe this is obvious to everyone else, but between the pace of this book and the elephant haze, I have no idea what you're talking about. When was this, what tower, and what circumstances?

abbad0n
Jan 25, 2005
Read volume 21.

OG17
Oct 6, 2002

abbad0n posted:

Read volume 21.
Christ, that seriously came out in 2001?

Caska's voice knocked him out of the initial rage, so that's something, but he was in a state of shock before and after. I don't think that'll be representative of later meetings.

e: though maybe I should have added some sort of exception for her, after all.

OG17 fucked around with this message at 19:27 on Mar 27, 2008

cooldude2.0
Oct 12, 2004
Grimey Drawer

Teek posted:

Ignoring all the new people, Guts sacrificing Caska is impossible and would retroactively ruin the entire series.

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

I can't wait to entertain you.
The raw of 295 is out. It looks like the next chapter will be released in the middle of May? Ouch.

OG17
Oct 6, 2002

Teek posted:

The raw of 295 is out. It looks like the next chapter will be released in the middle of May? Ouch.
A month and a half is practically a double chapter.

maxxheadcheese
Sep 9, 2005

Noble Man

OG17 posted:

A month and a half is practically a double chapter.

Yeah, last three chapters can be compared to if Naruto or any other Shounen Jump manga was released every other day for a week. We're just reverting back to the old faithful long waiting.

RipVTide
Jul 28, 2002

Run you jerk with an EYE FOR QUALITY you! Run!
Nap Ghost
As long as we don't have another 6 month wait all is good in the land of Berserk. May? Phah, I scoff at your May.

Phil_asdf
Oct 9, 2006

by Fistgrrl
I really wish I had not known about berserk so early. I absolutely hate waiting (as much of a kid as that makes me sound). This is the reason why I practically always stick to reading finished mangas now.

Jimmybob
Mar 7, 2005
Ganishka looks loving awesome. And as long as there is an actual date for the next chapter, I am not worried. I only get worried when they publish and there's no date at all. Because then we know it's outrageously long break time for Miura!

SamuraiMushroom
May 5, 2007

Zoolooman posted:

Anyone else notice this?

Roger Explosion
Jan 26, 2006

THAT'S SPECTACULAR.

SamuraiMushroom posted:

Anyone else notice this?
I recognize what you'repointing out here, but huh?

SamuraiMushroom
May 5, 2007

Roger Explosion posted:

I recognize what you'repointing out here, but huh?

I don't know either, it just caught my eye.

GoldenNugget
Mar 27, 2008
:dukedog:

Phil_asdf posted:

I really wish I had not known about berserk so early. I absolutely hate waiting (as much of a kid as that makes me sound). This is the reason why I practically always stick to reading finished mangas now.

yeah I hear you. It's hard to believe that this series has been going on for about 18 (!) years and I read all of it within a week and a half...

I hope they hurry up with all the traveling and focus more on Guts' group of friends.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Webcormac McCarthy
Nov 26, 2007
I'm so glad I gave Berserk a try, as it is quite simply the greatest manga in the world. One of my life goals now is to make it to the end of Berserk.

Which Miura is going to finish in his lifetime, hopefully...