Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

deglaze|2
Sep 26, 2004
This is more me looking for the name of an artist. I'm guessing he was seventies, pretty sure he was funk. I'm remembering him wearing big glasses and big hat that was kind of Egyptian and but futuristic. thanks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Johnny Future
Jul 22, 2007

Saving the cosmos one powerchord at a time

deglaze|2 posted:

This is more me looking for the name of an artist. I'm guessing he was seventies, pretty sure he was funk. I'm remembering him wearing big glasses and big hat that was kind of Egyptian and but futuristic. thanks

Bootsy Collins?

http://images.google.ca/images?q=bo...wL3kIHmAQ&gbv=2

Freddie Gibbis
Jul 30, 2007

~~ schween lyfe ~~

deglaze|2 posted:

if it's not bootsy, as johnny future suggested, it's almost definitely george clinton

deglaze|2
Sep 26, 2004
definitely not bootsy. It might be clinton but i can't find a photo of it. Maybe I just saw Isaac hayes in a futuristic black israelite get up.

Freddie Gibbis
Jul 30, 2007

~~ schween lyfe ~~

deglaze|2 posted:

definitely not bootsy. It might be clinton but i can't find a photo of it. Maybe I just saw Isaac hayes in a futuristic black israelite get up.

holy crap i'm dumb as poo poo.

you're talking about Sun Ra

deglaze|2
Sep 26, 2004
I think taht's it.
Thanks!

Spider Crusoe
Jan 30, 2005

The song I'm looking for is a newish rock song. It's dark and has a slow or moderate tempo. Two or three times throughout it it has what sounds like a male opera singer singing.

PissFilledCumBubble
Jun 27, 2006

Superrodan posted:

Ok, there is this song that I took part in singing in High School and can't remember any lyrics to whatsoever, even though it very well could be some classic amazing song everyone in the world knows but me. I tried songtapper and that didn't work, so my last resort is making a very crude version of the part I remember. I know the first bit, it's the verse before the chorus kicks in.

http://www.sendspace.com/file/lpu0dd

Anyways, the high pitched parts are "ooh-ooh-oohs" if I recall correctly, and the lower parts are parts with actual lyrics. When it gets to the last bit with lyrics it gets noticeably louder and becomes more aggressive but I don't remember what they are saying so it's impossible to look up.

I suspect and hope this is an easy one because it's bugged me for a while.

FYI: I realize the first bit sounds kinda like the first line from the song in Willy Wonka "The Candyman" but that's not it, that's something I noticed while making it and thought was amusing.

Dave Clark Five - Catch Us If You Can?

Superrodan
Nov 27, 2007

PissFilledCumBubble posted:

Dave Clark Five - Catch Us If You Can?

Can I just say I love you?

In high school I helped make this video that was a ripoff of the Gap commercials at the time, and this was the music we sang. Every once in a while for the past few years I would hear the song in my head but not be able to look it up since not a single lyric stuck in my head.

I had not heard the song before or since.

Thank you.

PissFilledCumBubble
Jun 27, 2006

Superrodan posted:

Can I just say I love you?

In high school I helped make this video that was a ripoff of the Gap commercials at the time, and this was the music we sang. Every once in a while for the past few years I would hear the song in my head but not be able to look it up since not a single lyric stuck in my head.

I had not heard the song before or since.

Thank you.

I knew listening to oldies radio as a kid would pay off.

The Leck
Feb 27, 2001

I've heard this song a few times on some "new music" radio shows, and didn't catch the name. The only thing that I know about it is that it repeats a line like "I can feel the radio waves" over and over towards the end. The lead singer sounds kind of like the guy from Maximo Park, but I'm pretty sure it's not them. Thanks for your help!

EDIT: So it turns out I'm an idiot, it's "Karaoke Plays" by Maximo Park. I even own that album, I think my brain must have just shut down.

The Leck fucked around with this message at 13:28 on Mar 20, 2008

Sebb
Aug 8, 2007
kinda like the way you're breathing
kinda like the way you keep looking away
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NSSgwD-9PS4

I really like the song from this video - it's post-rock of some sort. I heard someone say it was I Hear Sirens, but I've listened to their EP since and didn't seem to hear this part. Any help would be wonderful.

Speedjak
Jul 21, 2004
I need help identifying this Survivor background music. This is the piano version although a much better ochestral version was used in past seasons of Survivor.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-JCqneMjt0w

I've been trying for ages to find this song. Any help would be appreciated.

GoonyMcGoonface
Sep 11, 2001

Friends don't left friends do ECB
Dinosaur Gum
I heard a song the other day that I cannot for the life of me remember enough about to find.

The song was about dancing, and it had 'angel' or 'angels' in it at least twice.

Sung by a male singer, soft sound.

I know, it's hugely vague, but googling around hasn't gotten me anywhere (since the search is so wide).

Any ideas?

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Ugh, what did I see on MTV2 last night? Contemporary release, funky late 70's / early 80's beat over a music video of 80s Urban America, the video being overdrawn with building-sized dancing robots and animated words/arrows/graffiti. The band was a one word name, misspelled. It was the last thing I watched before sleep and I didn't brain-file the name to look up today :mad:

<edit> woot, brain mining overnight, remembered it this morning :)

Elektrons - Get Up

NoneMoreNegative fucked around with this message at 16:23 on Mar 21, 2008

ChaosTheory
Oct 1, 2003

Pillbug
I bought that circus doop album, and my sample wasn't on that, but really it came pretty close. Any other thoughts?

here is the clip again:

Thanks for introducing me to doop though, instant classic for me.

TotalHell
Feb 22, 2005

Roman Reigns fights CM Punk in fantasy warld. Lotsa violins, so littl kids cant red it.

I've been looking for his song for years, maybe this thread will end the hunt.

I heard a song on the radio several years ago. All I can remember about it was that the band sounded vaguely REM-ish (I remember thinking it was REM when I heard it, but I believe I was wrong about this).

I think that part of the chorus was the male lead singer singing "It's gravity" or something to that effect.

I realize this is absurdly vague, but if anyone even has a clue, I'd be appreciative.

Freddie Gibbis
Jul 30, 2007

~~ schween lyfe ~~

TotalHell posted:

I heard a song on the radio several years ago. All I can remember about it was that the band sounded vaguely REM-ish (I remember thinking it was REM when I heard it, but I believe I was wrong about this).

I think that part of the chorus was the male lead singer singing "It's gravity" or something to that effect.

I realize this is absurdly vague, but if anyone even has a clue, I'd be appreciative.

REM does have a song called "Feeling Gravity's Pull", I guess that may be it if you turned out to be wrong. :)

Superrodan
Nov 27, 2007

CaladSigilon posted:

I heard a song the other day that I cannot for the life of me remember enough about to find.

The song was about dancing, and it had 'angel' or 'angels' in it at least twice.

Sung by a male singer, soft sound.

I know, it's hugely vague, but googling around hasn't gotten me anywhere (since the search is so wide).

Any ideas?

I know it's not about dancing, but the rest of the description made me think of Hear You Me by Jimmy Eat World.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9pQo9OQlIB8

VolumeOverTalent
Jan 27, 2006

TotalHell posted:

'Gravity' by Embrace?

butt potential
Jun 30, 2004
A rap song where the beat speeds up a few times. I don't know any of the words, but it's going pretty fast by the end of it.

yippee cahier
Mar 28, 2005

butt potential posted:

A rap song where the beat speeds up a few times. I don't know any of the words, but it's going pretty fast by the end of it.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i-dJ6xbrWHQ ?

butt potential
Jun 30, 2004

That's the one. Thanks.

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Okay, there's this crappy movie on Comedy Central right now called White Coats (originally Intern Academy apparently) that's pretty blatantly a Scrubs ripoff (at first I thought it WAS Scrubs).

There's this song in the middle of the movie during a montage. It sounded kinda like Smash Mouth, but I really don't think it was, and it was a peppy sort of alternative rock song where the lyrics were talking about a rough day in a sort of positive way.

The lyrics I could pick up were "like a coke without the fizz" and the phrase that seemed to repeat at what seemed the end of the chorus was "Wake me when it's over", though I'm 95% sure that's not the name of the song. The song was catchy as hell from what I could tell, and I'd like to pin down what it was.

Help me out, guys! My trail's run cold.

EDIT: gently caress, I just looked at the credits to the movie, and that IS the name of the song, but I couldn't see the artist.

SamuraiFoochs fucked around with this message at 00:00 on Mar 25, 2008

Lord Wroughtarm
Mar 15, 2006

Lord of Tweed-aloft-Penbrook
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PL-mRjIG8_k

The music in the background of this clip from the Ascent of Man. It was aired in 1972 so it must be of that year or most likely several years earlier.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Lord Wroughtarm posted:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PL-mRjIG8_k

The music in the background of this clip from the Ascent of Man. It was aired in 1972 so it must be of that year or most likely several years earlier.

Pink Floyd - "Careful With That Axe, Eugene"

PUSSY BARON
Dec 25, 2005

by mons all madden
This is a shot in the dark but it's OK if nobody IDs the song I heard, just if maybe they can suggest an artist or an album, because I'm pretty sure it's not a completely obscure artist. It had a sparse electro beat and dense 8-bit glitch sounds, and a girl shouting the vocals.

From Earth
Oct 21, 2005

PUSSY BARON posted:

This is a shot in the dark but it's OK if nobody IDs the song I heard, just if maybe they can suggest an artist or an album, because I'm pretty sure it's not a completely obscure artist. It had a sparse electro beat and dense 8-bit glitch sounds, and a girl shouting the vocals.

Soulwax - NY Excuse?

Lord Wroughtarm
Mar 15, 2006

Lord of Tweed-aloft-Penbrook

FitFortDanga posted:

Pink Floyd - "Careful With That Axe, Eugene"

Awesome, thank you.

CosmicalStorm
Jul 26, 2007
Do be advised that sitting parked outside their homes with binoculars, raw meat, and a jar of Vaseline is not truly considered "a date."
At roughly 2:20 in this C&C video, there is a pretty neat trance/chillout song playing, i think the song goes something like "escape the planet", does anyone know what it's called?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=go8-GJo18ZU

Twisted Aristocrat
Feb 1, 2006

by Peatpot
Can anyone name the artist who wrote the second song in this profiile - http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendID=120506805
titled "you wish you knew"?
I'm fairly certain the chap who created the profile just couldn't be arsed individually labelling the artists and just filled in scott walker for all of them. Any help much appreciated.

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!
Looking for help finding a song. I believe the artist name starts with a "N" but thats as much as my wrecked memory will help me. I want to say its about 5 years old or so. Its an electronic/industrial song that has a sound byte from Gummo.

Gummo posted:

Cowboy #1: This lovely-rear end rabbit stinks!
Cowboy #2: I know.
Cowboy #1: He smells like pussy! He smells like an rear end in a top hat!
Cowboy #2: [to Bunny Boy, the "rabbit"] Hey, motherfucker!
Cowboy #1: Smells like wetback dick!
Cowboy #2: They smell like a pound of bullshit!

The sound clip can be heard : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_GUVfpum3zI
Thanks!

Freddie Gibbis
Jul 30, 2007

~~ schween lyfe ~~

horn_ posted:

Can anyone name the artist who wrote the second song in this profiile - http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendID=120506805
titled "you wish you knew"?
I'm fairly certain the chap who created the profile just couldn't be arsed individually labelling the artists and just filled in scott walker for all of them. Any help much appreciated.

"dark entries" by bauhaus

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YRNu8S-YoMM

WantlessPonder
Apr 4, 2007

Kinda like a pint a Guinness.
Okay, this description will be very vague. But the song is a pretty famous rock song. It's a song that most of you would recognise immediately upon hearing it. From what I can remember, it's also pretty mellow and up-beat and I don't remember there being any electric guitars, so it's (probably) acoustic.

The only line (I think it might be a part of the chorus?) from the song I can seem to remember goes, "... and when the [something] plays that melody...". Not sure of the wording but it's something like that. Again, sorry for the vague details.

Socket Ryanist
Aug 30, 2004

WantlessPonder posted:

The only line (I think it might be a part of the chorus?) from the song I can seem to remember goes, "... and when the [something] plays that melody...". Not sure of the wording but it's something like that. Again, sorry for the vague details.
Oh god I know this song, it's um, the name of it is a girl's name gently caress gently caress gently caress what is the name of that song

Edit: Oh I'm thinking of "more than a feeling". That's not it, is it?

Socket Ryanist fucked around with this message at 01:38 on Mar 28, 2008

Velocirocktor
Oct 18, 2006

And it's just a little bit of Cretaceous Castle Magic

WantlessPonder posted:

Okay, this description will be very vague. But the song is a pretty famous rock song. It's a song that most of you would recognise immediately upon hearing it. From what I can remember, it's also pretty mellow and up-beat and I don't remember there being any electric guitars, so it's (probably) acoustic.

Are you thinking of Dobie Gray - Drift Away? That's what came to mind immediately for me.

edit: on second thought, I'm thinking not. I think I can hear the song you might mean in my head but it's not coming to me.

Velocirocktor fucked around with this message at 01:51 on Mar 28, 2008

WantlessPonder
Apr 4, 2007

Kinda like a pint a Guinness.

Socket Ryanist posted:

Oh god I know this song, it's um, the name of it is a girl's name gently caress gently caress gently caress what is the name of that song

Edit: Oh I'm thinking of "more than a feeling". That's not it, is it?

Nah that's not it. There are no backing vocals or anything like that.

Velocirocktor posted:

That's not it either... but that one's more in line of what the actual song is like, though. :shobon:

slow crow
Sep 29, 2007
Bah

slow crow fucked around with this message at 12:44 on Oct 12, 2013

Freddie Gibbis
Jul 30, 2007

~~ schween lyfe ~~

aunaturale posted:

Slightly off-thread but instead of song, can someone tell me what the main brass instrument used in songs such those below is? The lines with the really loud and high soaring lines. I think it should be obvious but sorry if it's not. I'm assuming some form of trumpet or saxaphone, but getting a more precise answer would be great :)

Cat Stevens - Midday (Avoid City After Dark)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c3mc8m_vBQg

Feist - 1 2 3 4
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p8Z-DIAthbM

That would be the flugelhorn

Chuck Mangione plays it too :unsmith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

slow crow
Sep 29, 2007
Cah

slow crow fucked around with this message at 12:44 on Oct 12, 2013