Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gravitee
Nov 20, 2003

I just put money in the Magic Fingers!
Another nitrogen question: they gave me nitrogen in my tires when I got new tires six months ago and they are getting low. Can I just put regular air in it or do I need to take it to a tire place to have nitrogen put back in?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mar 27, 2003

It had no choice. Their defense grid was smashed. We'd won. Taking out Carr then would make no difference. Skynet had to wipe out his entire existence!

Gravitee posted:

Another nitrogen question: they gave me nitrogen in my tires when I got new tires six months ago and they are getting low. Can I just put regular air in it or do I need to take it to a tire place to have nitrogen put back in?

Did you read what he posted? Air is made up of 78% nitrogen.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
I think that the argument for N2 in tires is that the pressure doesn't fluctuate as much as regular air. I'm guessing that track/racing dudes aren't too keen on filling up their tires cold and having it bounce +5-6 psi on the track.

But air is primarily nitrogen and it's moot for most driving applications.

solarbeam
Nov 29, 2005
I got into a little argument with a friend of mine regarding his automatic transmission. Everytime he goes to Drive, Neutral or Reverse he just quickly pulls that poo poo right into place.

Now I've been taught to do it one by one slowly because (I think) it could gently caress up the transmission or something of that nature. He on the other hand loving just shifts in the speed of light and the car doesn't sound like it's taking it well :(

One by one and slow is the way to do it? Or just shifting it really quickly is alright and won't do anything?

The car is a 2007 Camry by the way

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep

Bahamutsrage posted:

One by one and slow is the way to do it? Or just shifting it really quickly is alright and won't do anything?

Anecdotal, but I've always just pulled the shifter from park to drive in one motion and I've never had any trouble. However when I'm going from reverse to drive or vice versa I always wait until I can feel the gears fully engage before giving it some gas.

Petekill
May 14, 2005

Where's Hammond?
Well I'll call him!

Bahamutsrage posted:

I got into a little argument with a friend of mine regarding his automatic transmission. Everytime he goes to Drive, Neutral or Reverse he just quickly pulls that poo poo right into place.

Now I've been taught to do it one by one slowly because (I think) it could gently caress up the transmission or something of that nature. He on the other hand loving just shifts in the speed of light and the car doesn't sound like it's taking it well :(

My guess is that in a car that new the trans is going to be pretty much completely computer-controlled anyway, and that the stick is just telling it what gear you want it in, then it does the rest. So if I'm correct, then no, it probably doesn't do any damage.

archaenmason
Sep 14, 2004

Toyota Avalon 98 keyless-entry/fob question...

The battery in my key has been dead for years now, and thus I have been manually locking/unlocking my car. I recently just got a fresh battery put in, but when I try to unlock the car via keyless nothing happens. The red light on the key blinks, so it looks like the fob is working okay. Do I have to "reset" the keyless entry system somehow? The car's keyless system is stock, but I don't have an owner's manual.

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

Jesus christ. Help me AI. Tell me I'm not losing my mind.

I just had a conversation with some guy about his mums mercedes...

He's middle aged and I'm 20 so I didn't want to disrespect him so I just went along with it.

He said, his mum drives a AMG RACE TUNED S Class... And that it's girly... So I'm assuming he meant a SLK as the S class is certainly not girly. He said it has a supercharged 6 litre engine. The biggest you can get in the SLK is a 5.4 right?
I guess he could mean an SL? But that's not at all girly.

I kinda gave him the benefit of the doubt for that one. Thinking it was just some non-car person misremembering stuff. But then he said:

He's having a 'VXR' custom built by 'brabams' in germany?
What kind of VXR? He just said VXR.
Then he said it was being twin turbo'd and having 20" split rims put on.
So, what VXR can you do that to? You can't do it to a astra I don't think. Certainly not a corsa. What else is being produced? The VXR8? Is there a twin turbo kit out there for it yet? I know there was for the monaro, but I've not seen one on a VXR8 yet.

Also I'm assuming he meant 'brabus', even though they don't do vauxhall surely? It was being 'tuned in germany by brabams'. Anyone know of any company other than brabus called anything remotely similar?

I didn't know what to say to the bloke so I just agreed it was 'cool'.

I think I may have been trolled in real life.

TAG BODY SPRAY
Jan 25, 2006

I might need a new transmission for my car. (1996 328is )

The car is getting harder and harder to shift, I dont know what to do! I'll drain and refill the transmission next week. See what happens.

Mar 27, 2003

It had no choice. Their defense grid was smashed. We'd won. Taking out Carr then would make no difference. Skynet had to wipe out his entire existence!

A5H posted:

He said, his mum drives a AMG RACE TUNED S Class... And that it's girly... So I'm assuming he meant a SLK as the S class is certainly not girly. He said it has a supercharged 6 litre engine. The biggest you can get in the SLK is a 5.4 right?
I guess he could mean an SL? But that's not at all girly.

The S55 and SL55 were both available with a 5.4l supercharged V8, the SLK55 AMG is a N/A 5.4L V8. The only 6 liter engines I know of are the N/A 6.3l V8 in the S63 / SL63 AMG models and the 6.0l V12 in the S65 / SL65 AMG, although the V12 is a twin turbo V12 so I don't know how he could mistake that for a supercharged V8 (especially considering it says it on the side of the car).

As far as the VXR, yeah if he owns one he could be putting a twin turbo kit on the LS engine, although I don't know much about German tuners. It certainly does sound like he's mixing everything up though.

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

7744 posted:

As far as the VXR, yeah if he owns one he could be putting a twin turbo kit on the LS engine, although I don't know much about German tuners. It certainly does sound like he's mixing everything up though.

So you can twin turbo the VXR8?
Because the monaro got discontinued for us here.
What 'german company' would twin turbo the VXR8? Especially straight from the factory?
I've never ever seen a VXR8 TT that's all.
Is the engine the same LS as seen in Corvettes? Would the same kit work?

Dark Solux
Dec 8, 2004

Old School Saturn God

Bahamutsrage posted:

That transmission (U660 if it is the 2GR V6, U250 if it is the 2AZ I4) is completely electronically controlled; When he goes from park to drive it it just sending signals to the transmission computer. Also interesting to note that it will shift to second and then first when you move it to drive in order to reduce shift shock :)

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

A5H posted:

He's having a 'VXR' custom built by 'brabams' in germany?
Vauxhall is GM-affiliated, Brabus is Mercedes/Smart/Maybach exclusive

Mar 27, 2003

A5H posted:

So you can twin turbo the VXR8?
Because the monaro got discontinued for us here.
What 'german company' would twin turbo the VXR8? Especially straight from the factory?
I've never ever seen a VXR8 TT that's all.
Is the engine the same LS as seen in Corvettes? Would the same kit work?

As far as I'm aware, the Vauxhall VXR just runs a standard LS2, so yeah, it's possible to twin turbo it easily. I don't know who would do it over there though. Like I said, I don't know much about German guys who tune GMs. It would be easy enough to custom fab up something though, if he found a reputable guy.

Just Chompin'
Apr 17, 2004

1% Pure
I'm looking for a new car and didn't want to jam up AI with a new thread.

Basically, I was looking for a fast, well handling car to be my DD. I'm going to go test drive a Civic Si and VW GTi today, but I wanted some input and maybe some recommendations.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

Just Chompin' posted:

Basically, I was looking for a fast, well handling car to be my DD. I'm going to go test drive a Civic Si and VW GTi today, but I wanted some input and maybe some recommendations.

If you're looking at those two, also look at the Mazdaspeed3, Mini, Audi A3, Volvo S40 or C30, and, if you can still find them, Mazdaspeed6.

Also, GTI = :waycool:

Just Chompin'
Apr 17, 2004

1% Pure
I love the C30. I think it just got to the top of my list.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Just Chompin' posted:

Nah, go ahead and do one. Or at least answer, new or used?

Just Chompin'
Apr 17, 2004

1% Pure
New only, I think.

This is kind of a graduation gift from my parents.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Just Chompin' posted:

New only, I think.

This is kind of a graduation gift from my parents.

Just newthread it dawg, do it. Stroke your ego.

TAG BODY SPRAY
Jan 25, 2006

Can't get the filler plug off the transmission on my 328is. I was using a 11/16ths socket. What would be the equivalent in metric? I know 11/16ths is 17.5m Do they make that size for either 1/4 or 1/2?

I was using a small socket. 1/4 I believe. I can try a 1/2 next, but I don't know if I have enough clearance under the car. I could use a piece of pipe or a breaker bar. Should I just get a mechanic to undo the bolt for me?

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep

AXE EFFECT posted:

I was using a small socket. 1/4 I believe. I can try a 1/2 next, but I don't know if I have enough clearance under the car. I could use a piece of pipe or a breaker bar. Should I just get a mechanic to undo the bolt for me?

Try banging your wrench with a giant rubber mallet. Impact is often the answer to situations like this.

Xiker
Jul 15, 2002
How much would it cost to get wheels refinished to stock quality. My stupid landlord did this new process of filling the cinderblock foundation walls with liquid concrete to stop my basement appartment from leaking in the summer (its not going to do jack poo poo).

Anyway, I had my summer wheels with mounted tires piled at the side of the house and they got concrete all over them.

One of the wheels has a lugnut hole full of hardened concrete and the rest has spackled concrete covering them. gently caress even the tires have concrete on them.

I would call around now but it's sunday and I cant find any shop open to get a quote. And I need this done soon because it is going to be 14*C on tuesday and I will roast my winter tires in that temp. So if anyone knows the ballpark price of refinishing alluminum wheels so I can give a bill to my landlord.

The car is a 1988 sunbird Gt with the 14" wheels. They are the angled 5 spoke with the little spokes coming off the main ones. Basically the super awsome wheels on every pontiac in the late 80s.

Xiker fucked around with this message at 15:11 on Mar 30, 2008

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

What are these flap/screw things on a Porsche?
I saw them on all the Porsches at the NY auto show. I guess I have never been this up close and able to mess with them before.

PS. The Cayman looks amazing. And sounds amazing, as I found out when I was passed in roar by a black one when driving down to NY.

Trimson Grondag 3
Jul 1, 2007

Clapping Larry
Well, the good news is I am getting a car through work that I have unlimited private use of. The bad news is that it is a Smart Fortwo. Anyone driven one of these know what I am getting myself into?

einTier
Sep 25, 2003

Charming, friendly, and possessed by demons.
Approach with caution.

Xiker posted:

So if anyone knows the ballpark price of refinishing alluminum wheels so I can give a bill to my landlord.

The car is a 1988 sunbird Gt with the 14" wheels. They are the angled 5 spoke with the little spokes coming off the main ones. Basically the super awsome wheels on every pontiac in the late 80s.
Ick. Buying four new wheels might actually be cheaper. Those wheels probably wouldn't cost more than $50 at a junkyard. Getting cement off the tires should be pretty easy, and getting them remounted shouldn't be too expensive.

kimbo305 posted:

What are these flap/screw things on a Porsche?
I saw them on all the Porsches at the NY auto show. I guess I have never been this up close and able to mess with them before.

PS. The Cayman looks amazing. And sounds amazing, as I found out when I was passed in roar by a black one when driving down to NY.
I have a Cayman S, I could probably tell you. That is, if your pictures worked. I have no idea what you're referencing.

Something tells me you might be referencing the round plug on the front bumper. It is a plug and not a screw, and you pull that out and there's an attachment point for the screw-in tow hook. You know, in case the car has to be towed or secured down for transit. There's another one behind the rear license plate, but most people never see it.

einTier fucked around with this message at 04:54 on Mar 31, 2008

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Quantum Butte posted:

Well, the good news is I am getting a car through work that I have unlimited private use of. The bad news is that it is a Smart Fortwo. Anyone driven one of these know what I am getting myself into?

Abandon any preconceptions and try and enjoy it.

Don't expect it to carry a months shopping or wheelie though...

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Quantum Butte posted:

The automatic shifting is very jerky and takes a while to get used to. Avoid potholes.

two_beer_bishes
Jun 27, 2004
The battery light in my '85 BMW 325e illuminated today. At a stop, it was bright but when I gave it gas it would dim and the more revs I gave it the more it would dim. Does this indicate a failing alternator? I will have to find my multimeter but it might not happen until tomorrow. The battery was purchased it December so I hope it isn't that...

ProjektorBoy
Jun 18, 2002

I FUCK LINEN IN MY SPARE TIME!
Grimey Drawer

two_beer_bishes posted:

The battery light in my '85 BMW 325e illuminated today. At a stop, it was bright but when I gave it gas it would dim and the more revs I gave it the more it would dim. Does this indicate a failing alternator? I will have to find my multimeter but it might not happen until tomorrow. The battery was purchased it December so I hope it isn't that...

While the symptoms are DEFINITELY indicative of a dying alternator I'd also be curious if you know exactly how old your alternator is. Sometimes it's just time to get a new one in. I'd be surprised if you could start your car after it started doing that. Headlights suck down a whole lot of battery, and you may be in danger of losing all your CCA's.

streetlamp
May 7, 2007

Danny likes his party hat
He does not like his banana hat

two_beer_bishes posted:

This is exactly what happened to me in my talon, it went on for a few months occasionally coming and going with the exact same symptoms. A few weeks ago it stayed illuminated almost constantly and so I finally replaced the alternator. No more problems.

two_beer_bishes
Jun 27, 2004

ProjektorBoy posted:

While the symptoms are DEFINITELY indicative of a dying alternator I'd also be curious if you know exactly how old your alternator is. Sometimes it's just time to get a new one in. I'd be surprised if you could start your car after it started doing that. Headlights suck down a whole lot of battery, and you may be in danger of losing all your CCA's.

I have no idea how old the alternator is. I had to stop at the store on my way home and I was inside for 20min or so and when I came out it started just fine. It's snowing like crazy here and the streets are soaked so I don't know if that has anything to do with it, but what's funny is that my mom just called me and told me that the battery light on her '05 chrysler van turned on for about a minute...

Anyway, my car is parked in the heated garage at my apartment so whatever moisture is in there will be gone by the morning and I'll see what's up with the volts and such.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

Is there really such thing as a general car "tune-up"? I've had my car for a couple years now, I've put 20,000 miles on it and it's sitting at 60,000 miles. Besides changing things like the brakes, brake pads, oil, and oil filter I really haven't done much else. Is there anything I replace myself that might need replacing?

ProjektorBoy
Jun 18, 2002

I FUCK LINEN IN MY SPARE TIME!
Grimey Drawer

Corbet posted:

Is there really such thing as a general car "tune-up"? I've had my car for a couple years now, I've put 20,000 miles on it and it's sitting at 60,000 miles. Besides changing things like the brakes, brake pads, oil, and oil filter I really haven't done much else. Is there anything I replace myself that might need replacing?

If you're feeling brave you could do multiple fluid flushes. Power Steering, Brake/Clutch (both typically use dot3), Differential, Coolant. 60k is almost timing belt time on certain vehicles that have relatively low intervals. You could replace the shocks/struts, spark plugs, and the air filter too.

What kind of vehicle are we dealing with? We could have an expert on your car in this forum and not even know it.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

ProjektorBoy posted:

If you're feeling brave you could do multiple fluid flushes. Power Steering, Brake/Clutch (both typically use dot3), Differential, Coolant. 60k is almost timing belt time on certain vehicles that have relatively low intervals. You could replace the shocks/struts, spark plugs, and the air filter too.

What kind of vehicle are we dealing with? We could have an expert on your car in this forum and not even know it.

I thought I had put that in my original post but it looks like I forgot: I have a 2001 Nissan Maxima. AI is what actually turned me on to the Nissan and I couldn't be happier.

I almost always come here before I take my car into the shop because I always feel like car shops are shady. The dealer scammed me out of $600 (long story, had some acceleration issues and the computer was reading Idle Air Control and something else needed replaced, dealer replaced, still had the same problem and come to find out it was a computer issue all along. It was covered under warranty but they said they couldn't take the replaced parts out and charged me). I actually just went to the repair shop today and had my muffler and the pipe going towards the front of the car replaced (cost me $260).

Corb3t fucked around with this message at 01:02 on Apr 1, 2008

two_beer_bishes
Jun 27, 2004

two_beer_bishes posted:

I have no idea how old the alternator is. I had to stop at the store on my way home and I was inside for 20min or so and when I came out it started just fine. It's snowing like crazy here and the streets are soaked so I don't know if that has anything to do with it, but what's funny is that my mom just called me and told me that the battery light on her '05 chrysler van turned on for about a minute...

Anyway, my car is parked in the heated garage at my apartment so whatever moisture is in there will be gone by the morning and I'll see what's up with the volts and such.

So my brother called me and said he needed to be picked up and being the good guy that I am, I obliged. On the way home my car ran out of electricity and died :(

Looks like tomorrow I get a new alternator :(

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?
I just came back from a MOT check. The told me that the ball joint on the right side was in a very bad shape and that I had to replace it asap. Now my question is, how hard is it to change it myself? I have a 1998 Mitsubishi Carisma GDI.

Mobius1B7R
Jan 27, 2008

I'm looking at the late 80s, early 90s RX-7. How terrible is the Rotary when it comes to reliability? Or the whole car for that matter?

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

einTier posted:

I have a Cayman S, I could probably tell you. That is, if your pictures worked. I have no idea what you're referencing.

Something tells me you might be referencing the round plug on the front bumper. It is a plug and not a screw, and you pull that out and there's an attachment point for the screw-in tow hook. You know, in case the car has to be towed or secured down for transit. There's another one behind the rear license plate, but most people never see it.
WaffleImages is still messed up for me. Here's the pics:

They're of a corner of the roof. There's 4 of these at the corners. I could physically push and lift the flap into the second state.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!

kimbo305 posted:

They're of a corner of the roof. There's 4 of these at the corners. I could physically push and lift the flap into the second state.
Mounting points for a roof rack/cargo box/bike rack/ski holder. They've got a whole modular system going on.

Edit: They seem to call it "roof transport system," if you want to Google it. All I can find is places selling the attachments, nothing that says anything about the mounting slots, but if you look at pictures that's where the legs go.

Chillbro Baggins fucked around with this message at 01:34 on Apr 2, 2008

• Locked thread