Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BusinessWallet
Sep 13, 2005
Today has been the most perfect day I have ever seen

The Book I Read posted:

I just don't understand why I find this so awesome.

What are you talking about?

3toes posted:

EB-3L or short scale?

Either way I love the sound of gibson basses.

It's a short scale. I've been searching for a short scale for a really long time that doesn't play like poo poo, I have tiny tiny hands.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

BusinessWallet posted:

It's a short scale. I've been searching for a short scale for a really long time that doesn't play like poo poo, I have tiny tiny hands.

Ahh I see now it's the supreme. Haven't heard much about them, I'm sure the only difference between this and the regular SG bass is the flame top. You should be happy with it.

BusinessWallet
Sep 13, 2005

3toes posted:

Ahh I see now it's the supreme. Haven't heard much about them, I'm sure the only difference between this and the regular SG bass is the flame top. You should be happy with it.

it's really neck heavy though, is there anything that I can do about that?

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

BusinessWallet posted:

Doubtful, the strap lug is already back behind the neck heel. Either do some curls in the gym or look really gay and use an acoustic-style strap...

Just try to hold it more upright I guess while you're playing.

Rifter17
Mar 12, 2004
123 Not It

BusinessWallet posted:

You could try to put some hipshot ultralight tuners. I'm not sure how much that would help though. Perhaps a wider strap too? I really hate neck dive.

But I've been looking for a short scale bass too. I played one of those in San Diego and I dug it for rock, but I have a Sting Ray 5 for that. It felt nice, but I ended up ordering an Epiphone Rumblekat. So I'll see once it gets here.

Schatten
Jul 7, 2002

Das ist nicht meine
schnellen Rennwagen

Rifter17 posted:

You could try to put some hipshot ultralight tuners. I'm not sure how much that would help though. Perhaps a wider strap too? I really hate neck dive.
I have a few Italia straps (takes a long time to get them once purchased). One is a 2.5" and one is a 4" (for the heavy six string). They have suede backings, so they will not slip and your neck doesn't dive, even if you have a neck dive problem.

Some of these would work great: http://hipshotproducts.com/cart.php?m=product_detail&p=111 But unsure on the style you'd want. Every ounce adds up.

BusinessWallet
Sep 13, 2005

Schatten posted:

I have a few Italia straps (takes a long time to get them once purchased). One is a 2.5" and one is a 4" (for the heavy six string). They have suede backings, so they will not slip and your neck doesn't dive, even if you have a neck dive problem.

Some of these would work great: http://hipshotproducts.com/cart.php?m=product_detail&p=111 But unsure on the style you'd want. Every ounce adds up.

Yeah, i was thinking about new tuners, but I don't know. I'm not drilling holes in my new bass, at all. It has the 4 holes, they're normal grovers. I'd replace them if i didn't have to mod it.

I'll probably get a wide strap.

The Book I Read
Jan 15, 2008
Have to sing about it.

BusinessWallet posted:

Part of me is repulsed by it while part of me loves it; I can't work out why for either. Didn't think it appropriate to quote the pictures as well in the next post down.

TastyShrimpPlatter
Dec 18, 2006

It's me, I'm the
I canceled my order for the TD-9SX kit, and upgraded to a TD-12S kit. I just can't wait one or two more months without a drum kit. I'll post pics after it arrives on Friday or Monday.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 11 days!

:swoon:

Going to dump a new pickup in the bridge when I've decided what I want :v:

Also just out of shot in the next room, £2000 of timpanis! Yay!

Ator
Oct 1, 2005

This poo poo just got real.

Darth Fungus
Mar 12, 2007
Sausage Smoker
Original Crate CR-1

The guy at the pawn shop told me it wasn't working and that I'd have to get it fixed somewhere else since he didn't know what was wrong with it. Paid him 50 bucks cash and took it home, figuring I'd tinker with it and maybe get it working either way I'd have a sweet looking beer table. Plugged it in, and it works perfectly. Although it seems like it should be louder, might need a new speaker.

(also got a Russian Big Muff, forgot to take a picture of that)

Ben and Stew
Mar 31, 2006

Woah!

Aenovae posted:

You will enjoy this purchase very much. IMO upgrading to the suite is totally worth it.

Run Dodo Run
Oct 7, 2006

Aenovae posted:

Is that box like 90% packaging?

jfreder
Feb 27, 2008

MrSamurai posted:

I canceled my order for the TD-9SX kit, and upgraded to a TD-12S kit. I just can't wait one or two more months without a drum kit. I'll post pics after it arrives on Friday or Monday.

I'm jealous. Just too much for me right now though. Still need to buy a module for my Pintech set and I'm thinking about a used TD-6 or 10 or something. Depends on what I find

TastyShrimpPlatter
Dec 18, 2006

It's me, I'm the

jfreder posted:

I'm jealous. Just too much for me right now though. Still need to buy a module for my Pintech set and I'm thinking about a used TD-6 or 10 or something. Depends on what I find

I'm planning on making one of these after I get comfortable with my TD-12 so I can expand it with 32 more dual inputs for pads\cymbals

That metal dude
Mar 7, 2007

I call out to the beasts of the sea! To come forth and join us! This night is yours!
Well I finnaly have something to post here, hooray!

Krank Rev Jr. Now I know it looks like a little toy but this is no Marshall MG. This thing RIPS! After watching several videos and pestering a few guys who own them I've decided to buy one. They sell them as half stacks or full stacks or just the heads alone. I already have a cab so I'm going to buy the head.

25 watts of tube packed into a tiny little package and it sounds better than that Orange Tiny Terror.

I'm going to use the money that the govt. is sending out. I'm doing my part by buying US. Are you doing yours? :colbert:

Dragon Eye Morrison
May 6, 2007

Boston's "More Than A Feeling" is the world's greatest song

That metal dude posted:

Krank Rev Jr. Now I know it looks like a little toy but this is no Marshall MG. This thing RIPS! After watching several videos and pestering a few guys who own them I've decided to buy one. They sell them as half stacks or full stacks or just the heads alone. I already have a cab so I'm going to buy the head.

I have one. You'll be pretty drat happy. It has a couple drawbacks, primarily that the tubes are difficult to change due to the tight space and that it lacks a footswitch for turning the boost on and off, but it's one of my favorite amps.

That metal dude
Mar 7, 2007

I call out to the beasts of the sea! To come forth and join us! This night is yours!

Dragon Eye Morrison posted:

I have one. You'll be pretty drat happy. It has a couple drawbacks, primarily that the tubes are difficult to change due to the tight space and that it lacks a footswitch for turning the boost on and off, but it's one of my favorite amps.

Yeah I heard about the issues about the tubes. That's ok though, tubes don't blow out like crazy anyway right? Also the channel switching isn't a problem either. I hardly use clean channels as I normaly just switch to my neck pickup and roll off the volume.

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

I got my bass back. :unsmith:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2808916

Darth Fungus posted:

[img-Crate Amp]
I love how its a Crate amp with a cabinet that looks like a shipping crate.

Darth Fungus
Mar 12, 2007
Sausage Smoker

Minto Took posted:

I got my bass back. :unsmith:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2808916

I love how its a Crate amp with a cabinet that looks like a shipping crate.

Why do you think they call themselves "Crate"

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

The price of meat has just gone up, and your old lady has just gone down

I've seen the video (you've probably seen it too) where the guy is using a Krankshaft overdrive into a Rev Jr., and it was the tightest, most brutal 25W I've ever heard. I don't usually like the Krank sound (it records pretty well with Sneap-style micing, but I have not heard one sound good in real life), but I bet I'd dig that.

Clips when you get it, please.

Oh, I also picked up some new gear from GC's sale. Nothing big, but things I needed to kick MFX off my board entirely, and a few utility items I was lacking. I got a good mic stand (one of the low-to-the-floor types used in mic'ing bass drums and cabs) and a hard rubber mic clip, so I can retire my tape-rigged guitar stand qua mic stand. Makes it a lot easier to point the mic right where I want it and keep it there.

I also got two pedals, as mentioned briefly:

Planet Waves Chromatic Tuner

Simply put, it's a great tuner that's more accurate than the TU-2, tracks faster and more solidly than the TU-2, and features true bypass switching so it sucks less tone than the TU-2. One input, two outputs (one where the signal is bypassed while you tune, one where the signal is muted) - standard stuff at this point. It has both standard chromatic and also a strobe mode, and it locks on to low C immediately. My Korg AX3G's tuner had trouble with my low C, and also tended to be a little unsure of the pitch - this tuner has no such issues. It's also cosmetically quite nice, though that doesn't matter much to me, and it comes with a leather protective case that will go utterly unused the entire time that I own it! :cheers:

The only complaint that I have is that the strobe mode isn't really 100% strobe. It strobes while you're off pitch, but when it detects that you're on pitch the strobing stops in place and the "in tune" green LED is lit. Hence, it probably isn't quite as accurate for fine tasks such as setting your guitar's intonation as something like the Peterson Strobostomp 2. However, I tested them side-by-side and I was not any less in-tune with either of them, so at less than half the price the Planet Waves unit was kind of a no-brainer.

The other thing that the Korg AX3G was supplying was reverb, so I had to find a reverb pedal if I wanted it off my board. I tried a bunch out at the store, and ended up liking one well above the others:

It has six reverb modes (Hall, Room, Plate, Spring 1, Spring 2, Reverse), of which my favorites are Hall, Plate, and Spring 2. I also like Room and Spring 1, but I don't think I'll use them as much - the Room is too spacious and that Spring isn't as warm as the other. I will not use Reverse at all. I don't like how it sounds and that isn't an effect I employ. I have been using Plate extensively since I bought it and I think it sounds awesome, very different than the spring reverb I'm used to on my amps.

It allows good control compared to other units, especially in the pricerange - the Holy Grail isn't much less, and you get one knob to control the reverb; on the Reflector, you have knobs for Reverb Time, Dampening, and the effect level. It has left and right outputs for stereo reverb, and two inputs as well - one for your guitar, and one for an expression pedal to give you dynamic control over the reverb trail. I'll be getting an expression pedal, as that sounds really cool.

I do have some qualms about the unit, however. I have read about ten reviews of it online, and at least six of them had it die on them in short order and in much the same fashion, starting with the Reverse setting going out and leading quickly to all settings emitting hiss and static. Another apparently common problem is that the LED will come on but the effect does not, sending the dry signal on through instead. It seems that these issues might be power-related, but considering how many people seem to be experiencing them it leaves me more than a little wary. I didn't know all this when I bought it - I was just trying different reverb pedals out and this one was easily the best sounding. However, I am not too concerned, because I got the performance guarantee on it so if it blows on me I'll reluctantly bring it back and use the dough to buy a more reliable, somewhat worse sounding pedal. Maybe I'll have them order me a Holy Grail Plus, I hear it's better than the normal one. It is my hope that my pedal won't fail, though, as I really do love its sounds.

Ator
Oct 1, 2005

Run Dodo Run posted:

Is that box like 90% packaging?

Basically. It does come with a nice spiral-bound manual though. But I just read the pdf file instead.

pennywisdom
Mar 21, 2004

Oh yes.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

pennywisdom posted:

Oh yes.

Ukulele is so much loving fun. I love my cheap $20 walmart uke :)

Well I'm returning my EHX XO Qtron+ today, going to do an exchange since I believe I got a faulty unit. It literally sounds like an electrical arc when I engage it. Very loud POP comes through my speakers. Hopefully its just a lemon. However, if its not, I'm going to go a different round and return it and get one of these:

Suggested by warwick5s. In my ongoing quest to turn my Ampeg B-stack into an SVT without dropping $3k :shobon:

Honestly though I love the tone coming out of my stack, I just want that SVT-overdrive available.

ScooterMcTiny
Apr 7, 2004

3toes posted:

Hopefully its just a lemon. However, if its not, I'm going to go a different round and return it and get one of these:

Suggested by warwick5s. In my ongoing quest to turn my Ampeg B-stack into an SVT without dropping $3k :shobon:

Honestly though I love the tone coming out of my stack, I just want that SVT-overdrive available.

I bought one when I got my new bass rig, and honestly I don't use it very often. If you are interested, I'll sell you mine. Shoot me a PM or something.

The Sandwich Maker
Feb 19, 2008

You want a sandwich? Have a sandwich. Have a danish.

3toes posted:

I bought one of these a couple years ago and I can't believe I used to play without it. It's so easy to get a wide array of really great tones out of it and it makes my MIM Fender Jazz sound so much better than it ought to. Best $150 I've ever spent.

That metal dude
Mar 7, 2007

Agreed posted:

I've seen the video (you've probably seen it too) where the guy is using a Krankshaft overdrive into a Rev Jr., and it was the tightest, most brutal 25W I've ever heard. I don't usually like the Krank sound (it records pretty well with Sneap-style micing, but I have not heard one sound good in real life), but I bet I'd dig that.

Clips when you get it, please.

I don't think I've seen that one. The one that stood out to me was this russian guy on YouTube. He had this insane death metal riff going on.

I really hate to buy a piece of gear without playing it but nobody carries them. I figure if I honestly don't like it even with a decent EQ I could probably off it for close to what I paid. I'm stayin positive though. I'm sure I'll like it and get some brutal tones from it. :rock:

I'll do my best for clips. I don't do any home recording so I don't have any mics or anything aside from some crappy headset. Got any recomendations for cheap mics?

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

This mic plus this mic pre is a great guitar home recording setup for under $70 shipped to most places. The "Rock Demo" clip that I posted earlier was a recording made with that mic and the mic pre's bigger brother with USB and some improvements and added features. Same basic preamp sound though.

That metal dude
Mar 7, 2007

Sweet, I'll bookmark them and when I get some income maybe I can start recording some poo poo. Thanks dude.

ScooterMcTiny
Apr 7, 2004

The Sandwich Maker posted:

I bought one of these a couple years ago and I can't believe I used to play without it. It's so easy to get a wide array of really great tones out of it and it makes my MIM Fender Jazz sound so much better than it ought to. Best $150 I've ever spent.

Want to give me some advice on how to use the BDDI effectively? I use it with a GK 700RB, Ampeg B15E, and a Geddy Lee jazz bass playing pop rock, and I haven't really come up with a good use for it. I bought it because I heard amazing things about it, but it's sort of just been sitting around for a while collecting dust.

DrChu
May 14, 2002

Agreed posted:

This mic plus this mic pre is a great guitar home recording setup for under $70 shipped to most places. The "Rock Demo" clip that I posted earlier was a recording made with that mic and the mic pre's bigger brother with USB and some improvements and added features. Same basic preamp sound though.
Can you elaborate on the "bigger brother?" I've been considering the Tube MP to liven up my rig a little bit, and having the ability to also record via USB is very appealing.

pennywisdom
Mar 21, 2004

3toes posted:

Ukulele is so much loving fun. I love my cheap $20 walmart uke :)

loving thing won't stay in tune though. Any songs you recommend I learn first?

Nosir
Jun 11, 2006

pennywisdom posted:

I have a couple hundred dollar uke from hawaii that i play on, aint i lucky?

Learn this:

http://www.tropicalstormhawaii.com/cgi-bin/view.cgi?pid=song&song=tb/somewhere_over_the_rainbowwhat_a_wonderful_world.txt

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

pennywisdom posted:

Over the Rainbow will get you laid.

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

DrChu posted:

Can you elaborate on the "bigger brother?" I've been considering the Tube MP to liven up my rig a little bit, and having the ability to also record via USB is very appealing.

It's just this. Very handy, makes recording a breeze. Plug and go. I use it for all my clips.

Ichron
May 6, 2007

It's hip to be square.

3toes posted:

Over the Rainbow will get you laid.

If that will get you laid, this will get you into an orgy of 20 women and you.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=O9mEKMz2Pvo

The Sandwich Maker
Feb 19, 2008

You want a sandwich? Have a sandwich. Have a danish.

ScooterMcTiny posted:

Want to give me some advice on how to use the BDDI effectively? I use it with a GK 700RB, Ampeg B15E, and a Geddy Lee jazz bass playing pop rock, and I haven't really come up with a good use for it. I bought it because I heard amazing things about it, but it's sort of just been sitting around for a while collecting dust.

First of all, I guess I'd say to leave it on all the time and don't use it as some kinda overdrive stompbox. I'm sure you know that already, but I've heard of some people who do that and I thought I'd mention it.

Anyway. I'm at work so I'll try my best to give a couple examples from memory. For a good grindy, rough pick sound, I turn the drive and presence pretty high, around 3 or 4 o'clock, with treble at around 1.5 and bass down to 10 or so. I always leave blend maxed, too. For fingerstyle playing on the bridge pickup, I roll off the drive to about eleven and presence to 1 or 2, with treble to noonish and bass to 2 o'clock. I like this one because I get pretty good definition, but without being too dry. I guess it reminds me a little of the tone on No Doubt's Sunday Morning.

I think the Fender Custom Shop '60s pickups I put in my jazz are the same as are in the Geddy Lee, and I'm pretty satisfied with these settings. Also, in the instruction manual there are some diagrams for sample settings to give you a starting point. I dunno if you've got that, but I could scan the pages later if you want.

But on the other hand, I'm not especially picky about bass tone, so my perceptions might be a little skewed.

mofolotopo
May 10, 2004

TICK STAMPEDE!!!!

Darth Fungus posted:

Original Crate CR-1

The guy at the pawn shop told me it wasn't working and that I'd have to get it fixed somewhere else since he didn't know what was wrong with it. Paid him 50 bucks cash and took it home, figuring I'd tinker with it and maybe get it working either way I'd have a sweet looking beer table. Plugged it in, and it works perfectly. Although it seems like it should be louder, might need a new speaker.

I had one of these with an extension cab back in the late 80's and it was really nice for the money. Plus there's just something so appealing about the design.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

Ichron posted:

If that will get you laid, this will get you into an orgy of 20 women and you.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=O9mEKMz2Pvo

Yup, Jake is simply amazing.