Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight
I've been eying the Jack Casady Epiphone bass lately and have heard nothing but great things about it. Maybe once I get my Economic Stimulus Package in May/June :haw:

http://www.jackcasady.com/VideoProductionHigh.html

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K9K4LQ2Nh94

edit: also available in black, but I dig the gold-top

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darth Fungus
Mar 12, 2007
Sausage Smoker

mofolotopo posted:

I had one of these with an extension cab back in the late 80's and it was really nice for the money. Plus there's just something so appealing about the design.

How loud did yours get? Mine seems way underpowered.

PoorPeteBest
Oct 13, 2005

We're not hitchhiking anymore! We're riding!
I got my new Highway One Telecaster in the mail yesterday and promptly changed the pickguard to black:

It's leaning on my other new musical purchase, a Cajon!

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

3toes posted:

I've been eying the Jack Casady Epiphone bass lately and have heard nothing but great things about it. Maybe once I get my Economic Stimulus Package in May/June :haw:

I always wanted to play a Jack Casady just because they look so drat awesome.

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe
Today I bit the bullet.

what was i thinking

Mike N Eich
Jan 27, 2007

This might just be the year

3toes posted:

Those things are freakin' gorgeous. I'm hoping to get a Fender Jazz Bass (Probably MIM)) with the Stimulus Package. :unsmith:

Engine Fortegue
Feb 1, 2004

strap me down they must sedate me

poke me prod me irritate me

Yoozer posted:

Today I bit the bullet.

what was i thinking

Go ahead and invest in a piano dolly now before it's too late and you have to move it by hand. We've had a piano in my family for about 20 years and we JUST NOW got a dolly for it, they're seriously the most incredible thing ever.

That being said, you're going to be incredibly happy with this; having a real piano in the house is really a wonderful thing. :)

an AOL chatroom
Oct 3, 2002

The gods of Craigslist are smiling down on me lately. I've had it in the back of my mind lately that it'd be nice to own an archtop, but I didn't think I'd be buying one so soon. It's a 2001 Epiphone Sheraton II in Natural Honey with a Gibson '57 Classic in the bridge and case. It feels really nice, and I'm actually enjoying the stock neck pickup, so I think that's going to stay in. Definitely want to put some straplocks on it soon, though. It sounds brilliant through the Classic 30.

Nosir
Jun 11, 2006
As much as Sheratons are nice, i have a bad association with them due to this awful girl that was in one of my guitar classes in high school (haha, high school guitar classes). She always thought she was some gift from god to the music community because her dad had a home studio in their basement, so somehow that made her an amazing guitarist automatically, even though she sucked. Her dad gave her one of those guitars after she had only been playing for about six months. It always bothers me when brand new players get really nice guitars and suddenly think they are fantastic beacause of it. She would play something, then look at me as if she wanted me to bow down and worship the ground she walked upon, ok lady, sure thing. Argh, i hate lovely guitarists that think they are the best thing since sliced bread! :argh:

Enough whining, in reality i really like the way those things look and would love to have one. I wonder how it would look in black with all that gold hardware :swoon:

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe

Engine Fortegue posted:

Go ahead and invest in a piano dolly now before it's too late and you have to move it by hand.

Tell me more about these things. You simply leave the piano on the dolly, or...? Because I don't plan on moving it anywhere once it's in the house :).

cylyk
Feb 3, 2006
T_T

drat you. That guy playing the bass from Badge makes me want a bass now

an AOL chatroom
Oct 3, 2002

Nosir posted:

As much as Sheratons are nice, i have a bad association with them due to this awful girl that was in one of my guitar classes in high school (haha, high school guitar classes). She always thought she was some gift from god to the music community because her dad had a home studio in their basement, so somehow that made her an amazing guitarist automatically, even though she sucked. Her dad gave her one of those guitars after she had only been playing for about six months. It always bothers me when brand new players get really nice guitars and suddenly think they are fantastic beacause of it. She would play something, then look at me as if she wanted me to bow down and worship the ground she walked upon, ok lady, sure thing. Argh, i hate lovely guitarists that think they are the best thing since sliced bread! :argh:

Enough whining, in reality i really like the way those things look and would love to have one. I wonder how it would look in black with all that gold hardware :swoon:

I've felt the same way about '67 fastback Mustangs ever since a classmate in high school got one as a seventeenth birthday present, along with a lifetime pass to the local carwash so she could show up every morning with the shiniest car in the lot.

matblack
Jul 19, 2003

Not technically a purchase but I recently moved into a new apartment and found this little suprise in the closet

The image is after I cleaned it up quite a bit.

Since I'm the only guitarist in the house, the other flatmates don't want it so basically it's mine. I have not owned a Gibson/Epiphone electric before and I really like the feel of it.

Anyone know what this is might be worth? It has "Epiphone Limited Edition" stamped on the back of the neck and "Gibson Les Paul" on the head. This is also assuming the pickups are working, I don't have anything to test the sound out on at the moment.

Still needs a bit of work with the nuts and I need to file down the 4th fret a little, but a nice wee suprise all the same.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

matblack posted:

Not technically a purchase but I recently moved into a new apartment and found this little suprise in the closet

Since I'm the only guitarist in the house, the other flatmates don't want it so basically it's mine. I have not owned a Gibson/Epiphone electric before and I really like the feel of it.

Anyone know what this is might be worth? It has "Epiphone Limited Edition" stamped on the back of the neck and "Gibson Les Paul" on the head. This is also assuming the pickups are working, I don't have anything to test the sound out on at the moment.

Still needs a bit of work with the nuts and I need to file down the 4th fret a little, but a nice wee suprise all the same.

Probably about $500-$600 brand new.

BusinessWallet
Sep 13, 2005
Today has been the most perfect day I have ever seen

matblack posted:

My guitarist has that guitar, only in blue flame top. It's a really nice guitar, but the pickups aren't that great. You should clip those strings though.

Los Padre
Mar 26, 2007

Los Padre is an interesting and sensitive fellow.

PoorPeteBest posted:

It's leaning on my other new musical purchase, a Cajon!
You got it! How do you like it?

matblack posted:

The resale on the Epiphones aren't too remarkable. W/case it's like 300-350 on ebay. They're fun to have, though. The intonations (they're Korean made) are off, most of the time, so you can't take it in a studio. Aside from this, I had an extensively modded Epi with mid range boosting HB's, coil splits, and a lot of other bits; I miss it quite a bit.

Col.Kiwi
Dec 28, 2004
And the grave digger puts on the forceps...

Los Padre posted:

The intonations (they're Korean made) are off, most of the time, so you can't take it in a studio.
Dude, it's a Les Paul. Tune-o-matic bridge, there's quite a bit of intonation adjustment available. I've played a lot of epiphones and some of em had quite bad intonation from the factory but all of them could be brought perfectly in tune with adjustment. All you need is a screwdriver and a tuner.

Incidentally, I would poo poo my pants if I moved into a new place and just found a LP in the goddamn closet. Awesome luck.

PoorPeteBest
Oct 13, 2005

We're not hitchhiking anymore! We're riding!

Los Padre posted:

You got it! How do you like it?

It's great! Everyone keeps telling me that I bought a box but I'll sit down and play it for a bit and they'll start to understand. It's definitely something I'll need to practice though. I can keep a beat for a bit and then subtle variances in how my hands hit it seem to change the tone.

Los Padre
Mar 26, 2007

Col.Kiwi posted:

Dude, it's a Les Paul. Tune-o-matic bridge, there's quite a bit of intonation adjustment available. I've played a lot of epiphones and some of em had quite bad intonation from the factory but all of them could be brought perfectly in tune with adjustment. All you need is a screwdriver and a tuner.

Incidentally, I would poo poo my pants if I moved into a new place and just found a LP in the goddamn closet. Awesome luck.

Yea, but you can't fix poorly set necks and fret wires. Believe me, I took a screwdriver to every other part of my Les Paul, I didn't hesitate to try the bridge. It's a pretty well known glitch.

It's an awesome find, I'm just answering his/her question about resale.

the wizards beard
Apr 15, 2007
Reppin

4 LIFE 4 REAL
Do you know if the older Korean models were any better?

edit: To clarify, Epiphones are made in China, and have been since 2001/2002ish. I meant are the older models that were made in Korea considered better than the newer Chinese ones?

the wizards beard fucked around with this message at 22:23 on Mar 29, 2008

ZombiePeanut
May 11, 2007

by Fistgrrl
That looks like a epiphone les paul custom or something. It's not the standard, which sells for the aforementioned 300-350 on ebay. Those don't have green key tuners, and they don't come in a green flame top. It's probably worth a bit more than that.

Also, I've never had any intonation problems with the epiphone les paul I have.

Gramps
Dec 30, 2006

My wife is officially the poo poo. Aww yeah.

Col.Kiwi
Dec 28, 2004

Los Padre posted:

Yea, but you can't fix poorly set necks and fret wires. Believe me, I took a screwdriver to every other part of my Les Paul, I didn't hesitate to try the bridge. It's a pretty well known glitch.
Weird. I didn't have any trouble adjusting my two epiphones to perfect intonation or the others I've played with. Maybe you got a lemon? Or you're talking about the SpecialII or some other $99ish epiphone, which I don't have experience with. Or I've been lucky. *shrug*

Cirofren
Jun 13, 2005

Pillbug
My partner's great grandfather purchased this violin from gypsies in Germany c. 1930. It is presumably made by them as it bears no insignia, but it was purchased from a player, not a gypsie luthier, so its exact age and orgins are unknown.

My partner's grandfather brought the violin to Australia after his father's passing, and has now leant it to me after being told that I'd taken up the violin.

It's a joy to play, even with my lack of skill it sounds amazing. Very warm. It's in pretty good shape, all things considered, but I'll probably replace the bridge as the A string sits too deep.

Darth Fungus
Mar 12, 2007
Sausage Smoker

Cirofren posted:

My partner's great grandfather purchased this violin from gypsies in Germany c. 1930. It is presumably made by them as it bears no insignia

It's cursed.

an AOL chatroom
Oct 3, 2002

Cirofren posted:

I love the wear on the back. Screw the Fender Relic models that look like they've just been in a fight with a belt sander, that violin looks like it's got serious stories to tell.

GbrushTwood
Jul 18, 2004
Mighty Pirate.
The hip hop standard in vinyl sampling' cartridges:

Theses shures are always used, and are probably the ones used on most of the hip hop albums you've ever heard just because they are particularly good for scratching and pick up the lows on records pretty well.

and the mv-8800 is way doper than anything before the soon to be released mpc5000

I'm in production heaven its great. The mv just feels great, super intuitive to use, having only hosed around with a couple mpc's before, i picked this one up based on how awesome it was. I've never been happier :)

TheMotleyCow
Jul 13, 2001
I suck MAD COCK

I don't care if people think they're lame, they play like a dream and sound amazing for the price. Couldn't be happier. Normally I think gold hardware looks terrible, but I think it goes well with the stained wood. Custom inlays are growing on me, though I'd rather have plain gray.

help i am on fire
Nov 3, 2005

Do not eat the DJ!

Nosir posted:

My guitarist from my last band had a black Sheraton with gold hardware. He's usually a major pickup snob, but the thing sounded so good stock that he left it that way until he sold it to get a PRS SE. Of course, a week later he flaked out, moved back in with his mom and quit the band and hasn't talked to any of us since then.

Also, Sheraton + Blues Junior = awesome.

Nosir
Jun 11, 2006
I have a Epi LP Custom and while i do love the thing to death, i have never been able to get the intonation perfect. It may be that i'm an idiot (very possible) and just need to take it to the shop to get a proper setup (and maybe a de-rustification).

Also, people are always talking about swapping out the stock Epi LP pickups for others, which i have been interested in. What would you guys suggest? I know next to nothing about pickups really.

Aaaand my Metal Muff :rock: finally shipped after a few weeks of backorder on MF. I also got a Remo hand drum a little while back which is a lot of fun to play with my guitar playing roomate.

Nosir fucked around with this message at 10:51 on Mar 30, 2008

lechunnel
Jun 16, 2007

Is that Ivana Trump?
To add my experiences to the list:

I've had an Epi LP something something (red and black quilt top, uncovered pickups - if that helps anyone identify it) for about 5 years, and there was always something off with the G string. I could never get it correctly in tune, and the intonation was always a bit off. I took it to a luthier a few times and they couldn't get it right.

My new second hand Gibson LP, on the other hand (which I really should post in here sometime soon), is perfect. It's a joy to ring out an open chord that sounds perfectly in tune, after 5 years of chords that sounded a tiny bit off 'cause of one bum note.

Los Padre
Mar 26, 2007

I suppose this just shows how Epiphone comparisons could take an entire thread.
I didn't know they moved operations to China, I haven't kept up like I used to. I am almost positive it's a standard, though. Perhaps a standard from Korea? My LP (which was Samick/Korean made) had the classic tuners as well. The flame top LP's are just standard pluses, and the difference in resale value is essentially negligible. But who knows? Find the right person and it'll get more.

Sorry for the slight derail.

Col.Kiwi
Dec 28, 2004
Well my two epis are both Chinese and were bought in the last couple years. This discussion sure makes me feel glad/lucky that I was able to get them intonated just right! I'm pretty picky about that kind of stuff, I don't think I could keep a guitar that I wasn't able to get 100% in tune. It'd just bother me :/

I guess the moral of the story is that you can't buy a guitar until you have held it in your own hands and played it, especially cheaper guitars.

Nosir: there's like a gajillion kinds of aftermarket pickups out there in a pretty wide price range. For a pair of humbuckers you're spending from $75 to $200 generally. Tell us what kind of music you play or how you want to sound and what kind of money you have to spend. I'm sure plenty of people will chime in with suggestions for a common guitar like an LP. :)

Herr Roboto
Jul 20, 2006

by Ozma

TheMotleyCow posted:

I don't care if people think they're lame, they play like a dream and sound amazing for the price. Couldn't be happier. Normally I think gold hardware looks terrible, but I think it goes well with the stained wood. Custom inlays are growing on me, though I'd rather have plain gray.
Wow, that's a beautiful guitar. Why do people think they're lame though?

TheMotleyCow
Jul 13, 2001
I suck MAD COCK

Herr Roboto posted:

Wow, that's a beautiful guitar. Why do people think they're lame though?

I've heard some negative things about the Artcores. I actually was going to buy the 83 online, but it ended up being on back order until July, so I just went to a local place and ended up walking out with the 103 custom. It's all for the best, because I was really ambivalent about the blue flame finish and gold hardware on the 83 (not that looks are the most important thing, but...). The 103, however, looks classy and has the most ergonomic design I've ever played. The only thing that I don't like is that the construction doesn't feel quite as solid as some other guitars.

Also:

3toes posted:

I love this and I don't even play bass. Hollow bodies are awesome.

ZombiePeanut
May 11, 2007

by Fistgrrl

Los Padre posted:

The flame top LP's are just standard pluses, and the difference in resale value is essentially negligible.

I don't think the green flame top is a normal color, though. The newer epi LPs have grover tuners, as well. Though, that one could well be from the older knockoff green key era.

the wizards beard
Apr 15, 2007
Reppin

4 LIFE 4 REAL
To add to the Epi discussion, the LP Elite I posted a while back is now mine.

Got the hardcase and a new set of hardware (bridge, strap pins, pickup covers, tailpiece, screws etc) thrown in as well.

dj bobby bieber
Oct 9, 2003

the fanciest whale
Probably the coolest thing posted in this thread ever

I can't wait to get it, it'll be mostly for my live show

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

melee beats posted:

Probably the coolest thing posted in this thread ever

I can't wait to get it, it'll be mostly for my live show

I've had a Rocktron Banshee for close to a year now. Fun little piece of equipment. The rocktron is nice because it goes in your regular chain and not in your amp/cab setup.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dj bobby bieber
Oct 9, 2003

the fanciest whale

3toes posted:

I've had a Rocktron Banshee for close to a year now. Fun little piece of equipment. The rocktron is nice because it goes in your regular chain and not in your amp/cab setup.

Do you use it on your guitar or on a keyboard? I'd really like to use it instead of a vocoder