Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fishious
Jan 9, 2008

Code Jockey posted:

Also, I nearly one-handed Quasar[n] this morning before work. :psyduck: I think I've unlocked the secret to Beatmania - playing when I'm unbelievably tired.

My IIDX sessions are usually from 10pm till the early hours of the morning so maybe it's the same for me, I'm AAAing some 7k charts that I normally wouldn't think of doing and speaking of Quasar I hard cleared the another a few nights ago right before I went to bed.

Then again it could also be that I play better with headphones, since I always have to use them at that time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

Fishious posted:

My IIDX sessions are usually from 10pm till the early hours of the morning so maybe it's the same for me, I'm AAAing some 7k charts that I normally wouldn't think of doing and speaking of Quasar I hard cleared the another a few nights ago right before I went to bed.

Then again it could also be that I play better with headphones, since I always have to use them at that time.

Yeah, that's usually my schedule - 9pm until I drag myself to bed, lately that's been disturbingly early, around 11 or so. I usually suck for the first song or two [using a 4 or easy 5 for warmup] but by the end I'm yawning every few minutes but clearing and beating records like crazy.

That reminds me, I need to start bringing my headphones home, I miss playing with them. While I love my surround sound, it does make some songs sound... weird [and not just because of delays from the front and back speakers, just the way the songs are mixed]

Zo
Feb 22, 2005

LIKE A FOX
I can't play when I'm tired. My eyes dry up and my contact lens starts to get blurry, forcing me to blink a lot or close my eyes for a few seconds. This only really happens with IIDX, I'm not sure why, it never happens when I'm up late with friends or even studying.

DSMArisen
Sep 10, 2007
Make it make money!

Three-Phase posted:

Question:

I'm thinking about getting a PS2-J from PlayAsia and IIDX Happy Sky. My only concern is if there are critical menus (autosave, load, etc.) that are in Japanese that I would be unable to decipher. What I really need is a crib sheet that converts the most common phrases used in games (save/load) from that crazy moon language to English.

How is it you started this thread and you don't even have a PS2 style to play? :P

But yeah, pretty much 99% of the game is in English. Just turn on Autosave and forget it. Dan mode is self explanitory (beat one, unlock the one above it, beat the slightly harder one until you can't go any higher). The only other thing I can think of is that the options to turn on the graph are written in Japanese. There are only three choices though, so you just cycle through them until you find the one you like.

One thing about Autosave though, is that when playing Free mode it doesn't save your scores until you exit out to the Main Menu. I lost my Inori [A] clear to that today, but luckily I saved my A 7k AA on some sort of deity blessed random.

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

DSMArisen posted:

One thing about Autosave though, is that when playing Free mode it doesn't save your scores until you exit out to the Main Menu. I lost my Inori [A] clear to that today, but luckily I saved my A 7k AA on some sort of deity blessed random.

I've done that so many times. :doh:

Also - for anyone else here who plays DistorteD off of a hard drive - have you noticed it locking up randomly? There's no rhyme or reason - but halfway through a song, all sound cuts out, and the game seems to hang before the score display. The gameplay screen fades out, but the score screen never shows. No other style has done this to me.

DSMArisen
Sep 10, 2007
Make it make money!

Code Jockey posted:

I've done that so many times. :doh:

Also - for anyone else here who plays DistorteD off of a hard drive - have you noticed it locking up randomly? There's no rhyme or reason - but halfway through a song, all sound cuts out, and the game seems to hang before the score display. The gameplay screen fades out, but the score screen never shows. No other style has done this to me.

I'd taking the files off the drive, formatting it completly, and then adding them one at a time, nothing else. IIDX is bad for things like that when the files are fragmented across the whole drive.

hitension
Feb 14, 2005

Hey guys, I learned Chinese so that I can write shame in another language
Remember that the early hours of the morning are the best time to play IIDX, especially with summer upon us and prime Rislim remix watching time is nigh.

Seriously, is there a PopN thread?
I miss PopN so bad I wanna not pay bills and go to TGA. :(

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

DSMArisen posted:

I'd taking the files off the drive, formatting it completly, and then adding them one at a time, nothing else. IIDX is bad for things like that when the files are fragmented across the whole drive.

Argh but there's so many... I wonder if just imaging the drive, reformatting it, and writing the image back would work, or maybe seeing if WinHIIP can fix it.

Hmmm, after I do pre-registration at the convention tonight, maybe I'll hop over to Gameworks for some hot hot Pop'n action. ;)

Giudecca
May 14, 2006

i'm so glad i'm better than you are.
I have had that problem with a IIDX hard drive, and defragmenting my hard drive and running Scandisk (or the XP equivalent) fixed it, and several other miscellaneous problems.

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

Giudecca posted:

I have had that problem with a IIDX hard drive, and defragmenting my hard drive and running Scandisk (or the XP equivalent) fixed it, and several other miscellaneous problems.

Wait, do you mean an arcade hard drive? I mean running images off of my PS2's hard drive, which uses EXT2, a Linux volume format. I figure Linux has a defragger, I just need to dig around in my virtual machine of it for it.

e. I wonder if fragmentation is what causes lag in songs, too?

DSMArisen
Sep 10, 2007
Make it make money!

Code Jockey posted:

I wonder if just imaging the drive, reformatting it, and writing the image back would work

Probably not, an exact image would have the same fragmentations as the original I think. Just take the time to remove them all, completly wipe it, and add them again. It will be worth it.

Also you have access to a Pop'n machine? Neat.

:argh:

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

DSMArisen posted:

Also you have access to a Pop'n machine? Neat.

Well, I have one near me, that doesn't necessarily mean I have access. It's usually getting obsessed over by a bunch of people far more talented than me. I should edit my post to say "I can see a Pop'n machine from a short distance while other people use it"

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

hitension posted:

Remember that the early hours of the morning are the best time to play IIDX, especially with summer upon us and prime Rislim remix watching time is nigh.

Seriously, is there a PopN thread?
I miss PopN so bad I wanna not pay bills and go to TGA. :(

nope, i'd just use this thread for pop'n discussion if i were you; the two games are related enough and this thread is in no danger of filling to the brim anytime soon.

Giudecca
May 14, 2006

A general rule of thumb is to not run Bemani games off of your PS2 hard drive because they have problems syncing.

Dr VideoGames 0.299
Feb 15, 2007

i really think you're overestimating how much
i love having dog shit smushed all over my face
So if I were to invest in a Pop n Music controller and game, which mix should I get as my first? Compared to other IIDX players I suck; passing a 7 on light is an act of god for me.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Dr. Video Games 0029 posted:

So if I were to invest in a Pop n Music controller and game, which mix should I get as my first? Compared to other IIDX players I suck; passing a 7 on light is an act of god for me.

10 is a personal favorite of mine, i think many people would agree. it's also a great starter's mix. avoid 9 and prior for the time being. you aren't missing much as far as good songs go (just cup-kun), and they lack the weeaboo-friendly UI that sort of became the norm with 10 and newer. if you get the stuff and get pop'n 10 and absolutely love it to death and want to buy another mix, go for carnival (12) next. my favorite is 10 but carnival is a very close second, and has some of the most fun upper tier songs in any mix (like 39-43 range.) regardless, 10 will keep you busy even if you somehow work your way up to grunge-des EX in your first year of playing. don't count on it bub you need four arms for that poo poo.

the learning curve for pop'n is MUCH more forgiving than IIDX, but i have to recommend starting with 9-line as opposed to 5-line (using all 9 domes instead of just the centermost 5.)

oh and also, get a DJ DAO controller if you decide to get one. your only other reasonable option these days is desktop arcade and without going out on too much of a limb, gently caress those.

here's a lovely video of me playing from when i still had my ransai, to encourage you :-)

http://youtube.com/watch?v=e_pdFnUv3IE

enojy fucked around with this message at 20:21 on Mar 29, 2008

Lynx Winters
May 1, 2003

Borderlawns: The Treehouse of Pandora
Pop'n 8 is a decent one to start with. It does have a bunch of good songs (100sec Kitchen Battle!), and it's not hard to figure out the UI. I do agree on skipping 9 though. 9 has a few good songs but on the whole I thought 8 had the better selection.

I never got to play past 9, though, since I ended up having to sell my controller.

Giudecca
May 14, 2006

Pop'n Carnival is not 12, Carnival is 13. It is good, and so is 12, and so is 11. Pretty much anything from 10 and forward is good.

Pop'n Music's console games have been much better incarnations than Beatmania's have. Pop'n Music has an equal number of songs with each arcade release, and each console release, so there is constantly new material put forth on both versions. Also, they have a much larger quantity of songs, so all of the good classics are repeats on the newer games.

One thing I would very strongly suggest is to buy some sort of device that will allow you to transfer memory card saves to your PS2. This is because almost all of the Pop'n console games have tedious unlocking systems. If you don't mind that, though, go ahead - but Pop'n Music 10 is horrible when it comes to unlocks. 11 and before are tolerable.

I would also suggest not buying the newest version yet, which is Pop'n Music 14: Fever. It's a great game, especially because it finally adds .5x speed mods, but almost all of the repeats are actually ee'Mall songs and crossovers from other Bemani games, and they tend to have weird charts or strange timing that might turn new players off.

Pop'n Music 13: Carnival is probably your best bet. It has a good chunk of revivals and classics that represent the older Pop'n Music games pretty well, and the unlock system really isn't that awful. Pop'n 12 also has a tolerable unlock system, and more good revivals, but there are a huge amount of revivals that are shared between both games.

Sorry if I was too wordy.

Dr VideoGames 0.299
Feb 15, 2007

Is the official PS2 Pop n' controller really that lovely? A custom controller would be nice, but that's an investment I'm not entirely willing to make. I make do playing IIDX on the American controllers; surely the Pop n' controllers are up to snuff?

Giudecca
May 14, 2006

No, I like playing on the mini controller if I haven't played on the arcade controller recently. Though I ordered a DJ Dao Pop'n ASC very recently.

Just so you don't get gouged on overseas shipping, I'd try the marketplace on the Bemanistyle forums, that one tracker's forums, and maybe the forums on Aaron in Japan to try and find a used mini controller.

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

I make do playing IIDX on the American controllers

See, maybe I'm just a minority. I was talking to the guy running the Pink Godzilla booth at Sakuracon today, and he was talking up the JKOC too [I asked if he had any USKOC's around - sadly, no - and he began telling me why I should just import the other kind], but maybe I just played on really trashed and/or badly modded JKOCs, because man do I love my USKOCs in comparison.

Dr VideoGames 0.299
Feb 15, 2007

Code Jockey posted:

See, maybe I'm just a minority. I was talking to the guy running the Pink Godzilla booth at Sakuracon today, and he was talking up the JKOC too [I asked if he had any USKOC's around - sadly, no - and he began telling me why I should just import the other kind], but maybe I just played on really trashed and/or badly modded JKOCs, because man do I love my USKOCs in comparison.

Sure; matter of fact I've read and been told the US controllers are made much better than the Japanese ones.

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

Sure; matter of fact I've read and been told the US controllers are made much better than the Japanese ones.

Now again, this could be just the two JKOCs I used - but the japanese keys felt shallow, stiff, and just... weird. I've been told this can be due to cardboard modding them, though.

I wish Konami'd do some kind of IIDX USA 2 so we could get a new USKOC release. :(

VgameT
Dec 31, 2007

therefore I only muttered "neu"
I think it's probably just a matter of personal preference. I have a USKOC and a JPKOC, but I like the JPKOC a lot more. ASCs feel the best, though! Too bad they cost so much.

DSMArisen
Sep 10, 2007
Make it make money!
My JKOC gets sticky like every three weeks and I have to take it apart and clean out all the poo poo and put it together again. Recently the 5 key has been sticking no matter what I do and it is DRIVING. ME. INSANE.

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

DSMArisen posted:

My JKOC gets sticky like every three weeks and I have to take it apart and clean out all the poo poo and put it together again. Recently the 5 key has been sticking no matter what I do and it is DRIVING. ME. INSANE.

Oh really? I was under the impression that the springs just wear out over time, requiring replacement. A simple cleaning will fix them?

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Code Jockey posted:

Oh really? I was under the impression that the springs just wear out over time, requiring replacement. A simple cleaning will fix them?

The KOC doesn't have springs. You're thinking of an ASC, and in that case worn down springs often feel hells of awesome. Playing on a worn in 5 key machine kept me off a brand new DistorteD ten feet away because I loved the keys so much.

Fishious
Jan 9, 2008
If sticky keys really get that bad you can always consider shaving the corners off. My controller currently has all the corners shaved and 3 layers of cardboard under each key and I seriously needed all of that to stop the drat thing from sticking. It takes a bit to get used to the ultra-sensitivity but I never even have to clean it anymore.

I hear lots of people say it doesn't help at all though and it's a bit drastic, however it worked for me.

photo kiosk of life
Aug 31, 2004

Not the best role model.

Fishious posted:

If sticky keys really get that bad you can always consider shaving the corners off. My controller currently has all the corners shaved and 3 layers of cardboard under each key and I seriously needed all of that to stop the drat thing from sticking. It takes a bit to get used to the ultra-sensitivity but I never even have to clean it anymore.

I hear lots of people say it doesn't help at all though and it's a bit drastic, however it worked for me.

I did that and I don't have to clean the keys as much as I used to. Now I can try my hand at doubles :buddy:

Giudecca
May 14, 2006

Dewgy posted:

The KOC doesn't have springs.

The US KOC does.

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

Giudecca posted:

The US KOC does.

It does? I thought it used some kind of funky plunger system or something. I didn't see any springs when I tore mine apart, but maybe they're just reaaaaally tiny and hidden inside the plunger looking things?

Giudecca
May 14, 2006

I could be mistaken, but I thought what made the USKOC's buttons not stick was the use of springs.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Giudecca posted:

I could be mistaken, but I thought what made the USKOC's buttons not stick was the use of springs.

No, it's extra supports under the buttons. They don't stick because they don't sink low enough when pressed to stick.

JimmyBiskit
Nov 15, 2007
Jesus christ. Not too long ago, I seemed to have hit a wall around 9s and 10s, and was getting nowhere fast in my progression through the difficulty levels. And yet somehow, I magically pull an 80% pass on Mei[h] with a C. My hands want to fall off now :v:

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦
Mei [h] isn't really that hard for a 9-10 level player (that's where I'm at too :hfive: ) but hell yeah is it fun to play.

Fishious
Jan 9, 2008
Mei [h] has good recovery after the slowdown so a normal pass of it isn't too challenging for a 10*, good song to start easing yourself into randoms too when you start tackling that 11* wall. I still can't hard clear that bastard though haven't gotten pass the slowdown yet.

Also hey guys I finally broke that pesky 12* barrier. A [A] on random, got a A too. Then straight after that I finally norm pass gigadelic [H].

Ashenai
Oct 5, 2005

You taught me language;
and my profit on't
Is, I know how to curse.
Okay, I have a question, and this seems like the appropriate thread for it. I've been trying out a Beatmania-style free game (BM98), which is my first rhythm game, besides Synaesthete. And, well, I suck. Beyond all comprehension. As in, I downloaded a couple of songs marked "Easy", and even setting the speed to Slow, I still can't get anywhere near passing them.

I'm actually enjoying the game, but this is pretty frustrating. I don't know what the learning curve for these types of games is like: can I expect to get way better through practice, or is this the type of thing where, if I can't pass an Easy song on Slow after 3-4 days, I should just accept that I'm never going to be good at rhythm games?

Also, I'm playing with the keyboard, how much of a disadvantage is that?

Fishious
Jan 9, 2008

Ashenai posted:

Okay, I have a question, and this seems like the appropriate thread for it. I've been trying out a Beatmania-style free game (BM98), which is my first rhythm game, besides Synaesthete. And, well, I suck. Beyond all comprehension. As in, I downloaded a couple of songs marked "Easy", and even setting the speed to Slow, I still can't get anywhere near passing them.

I am not sure what kind of speed settings BM98 has but slower setting doesn't make a song easier. When you first start since you haven't started to develop sight reading skills for notes you will start off slow but as you progress you use higher speed settings to seperate the notes more, so you have less to focus on. Also what charts are these, official or not? As far as non-official fanmade charts go "easy" can be a range of things, especially when these people also make charts like this

quote:

I'm actually enjoying the game, but this is pretty frustrating. I don't know what the learning curve for these types of games is like: can I expect to get way better through practice, or is this the type of thing where, if I can't pass an Easy song on Slow after 3-4 days, I should just accept that I'm never going to be good at rhythm games?

No, the curve is nuts and when I first started about a year and a bit ago I couldn't even touch any normal songs aside from 5.1.1 for a week. It only gets steeper too, it's a game the relies on nothing but pure experience and practice.

quote:

Shouldn't be, haven't heard of any high end players who use keyboard but logically if you get used to it I think it would be no harder if not easier since the keys are closer together.

VgameT
Dec 31, 2007

therefore I only muttered "neu"
Using a keyboard works ok for simulation. Just make sure that you can press most combinations of keys with your configuration, or you'll end up getting misses when trying to hit some chord+scratch combinations.

I haven't tried any of the Light7 stuff on this, but you should give Beat Beat Revolution a shot. I think the charts are designed to be playable on keyboard, whereas simfiles don't usually take keyboard players into account.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

Ashenai posted:

Honestly, it took me months to clear even the most basic stuff in Beatmania. I had no sense of rhythm and even worse sight reading / coordination skills, but with practice, lots and lots of practice, I was able to clear more and more stuff. Two years after I've started playing, I can clear 99% of 5s, and I'm gaining ground on 6s.

Like it's been said, don't play slow. I can't beat anything except the ridiculously fast songs at any less than HS 2, because the notes are so cramped together I can't break them apart in my head. It seems to me, too, that the timing is a bit looser the slower you go - might just be me. I'd say, start off at normal speed and just do the best you can...

And for the love of god, don't use a keyboard. :psyduck: I'm sure someone here knows where to get USKOCs, or there's always eBay. That plus a decent PS2 -> USB adapter is really all you need and it'll be so much better.

I pretty much had the same experience as Fishious - couldn't clear much more than 5.1.1 on BMUSA for the longest time. The learning curve is totally insane, but worth it once you're tearing through those songs you used to think were impossible. For me, it was Outer Limits[n] in USA - I took one look at the note chart and said "gently caress this, it's impossible". I can one hand AA it now. :c00l:

e. All this talk of keyboards makes me want to try playing one of the simulators with a MIDI keyboard. I'm thinking about getting one for Fruityloops, but I'm wondering if a regular keyboard would be responsive enough

Code Jockey fucked around with this message at 16:49 on Apr 8, 2008