Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Unless I'm on the inside curve pointing straight at oncoming traffic the high beams stay on and I laugh at your puny protest flashes.
I am Most Important Man. Most Important Man in the World.

Crackbone posted:

It would give you the horsepower, but you also need to consider that you'll need a Blu-ray drive unless you're dealing with :filez:, which we'll avoid. Also, Bluray discs need a HDCP protected path, which means your display device will need to be HDCP compliant otherwise it will force a downrez of the signal.
I believe that would also require using Vista.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dfn_doe
Apr 12, 2005
I FOR ONE WELCOME OUR NEW STUPID FUCKING CATCHPHRASE OVERLORDS

vanilla slimfast posted:

I don't think PowerDVD does x264/mkv playback, you'd probably want to use Media Player Classic or VLC

I think he is referring to the directshow filters (cyberlink x.264, mpeg2, vc-1) that comes with powerdvd which enables the hardware acceleration of the underlying (at least on nvidia 8500+) codec. That filter is what would enable media player classic to hardware offload the x.264, although a mastroka container splitter filter would be needed as well.

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

Saukkis posted:

I believe that would also require using Vista.

You're probably right, I hadn't thought of that, since I've been using Vista for quite a while now.

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

dfn_doe posted:

I think he is referring to the directshow filters (cyberlink x.264, mpeg2, vc-1) that comes with powerdvd which enables the hardware acceleration of the underlying (at least on nvidia 8500+) codec. That filter is what would enable media player classic to hardware offload the x.264, although a mastroka container splitter filter would be needed as well.
So... Install PowerDVD, start MPC, then... how do I choose the Cyberlink filter for off-loading awesomeness? Is it "Cyberlink H.264/AVC Decoder (PDVD7.x), under "External Filters"?

dfn_doe
Apr 12, 2005

Fifty Three posted:

So... Install PowerDVD, start MPC, then... how do I choose the Cyberlink filter for off-loading awesomeness? Is it "Cyberlink H.264/AVC Decoder (PDVD7.x), under "External Filters"?

Yup, that sounds just about right.

Sexual Lorax
Mar 17, 2004

HERE'S TO FUCKING

Fun Shoe
I'm looking to build a box for the living room to watch/record OTA HD broadcasts and play video off a file server. I want it to be able to push 1080p, but I'm not stressing about H.264/BluRay/HD-DVD right now.

The idea is to leave the fan off the CPU cooler, because the processor is a 65W model, and it sits right next to the dual 120mm case fans. I may have to upgrade the fans if they run too loud.

I'd like to upgrade the power supply, too, but apparently Antec has a hardwired proprietary header that feeds the VFD. If the stock power supply fan is too loud, I'll get Dr. Frankenstein on its rear end and drop a nice SeaSonic with a 120mm fan in there.

Critique, please:

Antec Silver/ Black 0.8mm cold rolled steel/ Aluminum plate front bezel Veris Fusion 430 Micro ATX Media Center / HTPC Case - Retail
Item #: N82E16811129029
$199.99

GIGABYTE GA-MA78GM-S2H AM2+/AM2 AMD 780G HDMI Micro ATX AMD Motherboard - Retail
Item #: N82E16813128090
$99.99

SiliconDust HD Homerun Dual Network HDTV ATSC/QAM Tuner IPC-HDHOMERUN Ethernet Interface - Retail
Item #: N82E16815327005
$179.99

AMD Athlon 64 X2 4850e 2.5GHz Socket AM2 45W Dual-Core Processor
Currently unavailable online but AMD says they'll sell it at
$89.99

CORSAIR XMS2 DHX 4GB(2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model TWIN2X4096-6400C4DHX - Retail
Item #: N82E16820145194
$99.00 after $40.00 rebate

Western Digital Caviar GP WD5000AACS 500GB 5400 to 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive - OEM
Item #: N82E16822136149
$99.99

ASUS 20X DVD±R DVD Burner with LightScribe Black SATA Model DRW-2014L1T - Retail
Item #: N82E16827135156
$36.99

Scythe SCMNJ-1000 80mm Sleeve "NINJA MINI" CPU Cooler - Retail
Item #: N82E16835185046
$24.99 after $10.00 rebate

$820.93 after rebates, before tax/shipping

Edit: Totally forgot--I plan on running some flavor of Linux and MythTV, if that affects anything.

Sexual Lorax fucked around with this message at 15:07 on Mar 27, 2008

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

dfn_doe posted:

Yup, that sounds just about right.
Okay, what the heck. I'm still getting the same CPU usage regardless of whether I do this or not. I'm doing something wrong. :/

dfn_doe
Apr 12, 2005

Fifty Three posted:

Okay, what the heck. I'm still getting the same CPU usage regardless of whether I do this or not. I'm doing something wrong. :/

You need to have hardware accel enabled in the directshow filter, I'm pretty sure you can do this from the properties window in graphedit or one of the config dialogs in the powerdvd program itself.

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

Hardware acceleration is enabled in PowerDVD, but one line of the "information" tab reads:

Video Accelerator: DirectX VA (not in use)

.Nathan.
Jun 29, 2004

by Fistgrrl
So it's been two months since i first posted the HTPC build i was going to start, and since then i think i've changed my mind on just about every component except maybe the RAM. So many decisions. Anyway, i can't take my old HTPC any longer, so i think this is my final list:

1 GIGABYTE GA-P35-DS3L LGA 775 Intel P35 ATX All Solid Capacitor Intel
1 SAPPHIRE 100225L Radeon HD 3870 512MB 256-bit GDDR4 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP
1 Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 Wolfdale 3.0GHz LGA 775 65W Dual-Core Processor
1 Thermaltake Purepower W0100RU ATX 12V 2.0 500W Power Supply - Retail
2 A-DATA 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit
1 Western Digital Caviar SE16 WD7500AAKS 750GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive
1 Logitech diNovo Mini 920-000594 Black USB Bluetooth Wireless Mini Keyboard
1 ASUS 20X DVD±R DVD Burner with LightScribe Black SATA Model DRW-2014L1T
1 Microsoft Windows Vista 32-Bit Home Premium for System Builders Single Pack
1 EDIMAX EW-7318USG USB 2.0 Wireless LAN Hi-Gain Adapter - Retail
1 ARCTIC COOLING Freezer 7 Pro 92mm CPU Cooler - Retail
1 Omaura TF11 Case + IR kit

Yes, i realize some of the components are complete overkill, but it's my first build and the $300 or so extra i'm spending compared to what i could probably get by with doesn't seem like such a big deal.

Are any codecs making use of multiple cores? I was planning on using the Q6600 for a long time, then it seemed the E8400 would be the best bet, but the Q9300 looks interesting as well.

Also i'm guessing i need to get a PS/2 keyboard and mouse for initial set-up until i can install the DiNovo drivers? Sorry for all the questions. Thanks in advance.

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

Fifty Three posted:

Hardware acceleration is enabled in PowerDVD, but one line of the "information" tab reads:

Video Accelerator: DirectX VA (not in use)

What video card are you using, and do you have "filter paks" installed?

wretchx
Dec 4, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
I just built a new HTPC with a Gigabyte GA-MA78GM-S2H (780G), Athlon 64 X2 4400+ G2 and a complementary Blu-ray drive. For anyone still considering Intel or an older AMD chipset, be sure to read this review which compares the 780G and the G35 Express. A reviewer at Tom's Hardware also had smooth playback of Blu-ray at 1080p using his 780G board and a Sempron 3200+. :eek:

Sexual Lorax
Mar 17, 2004

HERE'S TO FUCKING

Fun Shoe

windsor posted:

I just built a new HTPC with a Gigabyte GA-MA78GM-S2H (780G), Athlon 64 X2 4400+ G2 and a complementary Blu-ray drive. For anyone still considering Intel or an older AMD chipset, be sure to read this review which compares the 780G and the G35 Express. A reviewer at Tom's Hardware also had smooth playback of Blu-ray at 1080p using his 780G board and a Sempron 3200+. :eek:

That motherboard sounds pretty sweet, and I trust Tech Report to not be drooling AMD fanboys. I love the idea of a 45W 4850e processor for my pseudo-passive cooled box. Updating my HTPC spec now.

Mr. Boogalow
Jul 7, 2007

Like a puppet on a string, like a monkey on a swing.
I've been researching building HTPCs and am almost ready to take the plunge.

What I'd like to do is convert all ~700 movies / TV series that I own into a digital format (I can convert to .iso files using Aimersoft's DVDRipper) and store / play them on a HTPC. All of the movies are SD, but I plan on buying HD movies through Amazon Unbox. I have no interest in ripping TV shows or movies from cable, at least not right now.

After spending a bit of time on NewEgg, this is a preliminary list of components:
*Case: Silverstone GD01B-MXR with Remote (Simply gorgeous, but I'm concerned that the LCD won't work with Ubuntu)
*Graphics Card: EVGA 320-P2-N811-AR with GeForce 8800GTS
*Power Supply: Enermax Liberty ELT500AWT
*Hard Drive: 1 TB Seagate Barracuda 7200.11 (I'd be getting more for storage and backup eventually, this is more of a start-up)
*Motherboard: ASUS Crosshair
*CPU: Athlon 64 X2 6000+
*RAM: G.SKILL 4GB DDR2 800
*The TV everything will play on: Vizio VU42LF (Already own; HD, no DVI input so I'd have to buy a DVI->HDMI cable)
I plan on installing Ubuntu rather than Windows XP/Vista and will be using MeediOS or similar.

This all adds up to about $1,300. While reading the thread I've noticed that systems are being built for half of this, though I'm not sure if those can play HD files. The only component that I'm 90% set on is the case, as aesthetics play a big part. I think I've made a list for a gaming system rather than a HTPC, can anyone offer some value engineering ideas / suggestions?

I have a couple more questions:
*Can HTPCs upconvert SD files?
*Is there a better format for ripped movies than .iso?

dealmaster
Dec 24, 2005

Somebody call for an exterminator?

Mr. Boogalow posted:

HTPC Build

This all adds up to about $1,300. While reading the thread I've noticed that systems are being built for half of this, though I'm not sure if those can play HD files. The only component that I'm 90% set on is the case, as aesthetics play a big part. I think I've made a list for a gaming system rather than a HTPC, can anyone offer some value engineering ideas / suggestions?

The motherboard, video card, and processor are complete overkill for what you want to do. There's also much better hard drive deals out there. For instance, if you're buying very soon, check out this 750GB Samsung Spinpoint hard drive that zipzoomfly has for 118 + shipping. You could get 2 of those for the price of that 1TB drive and have 50% more storage space. No telling how long those will stay in stock at that firesale price though.

As far as motherboard goes, check out the Gigabyte GA-MA78GM-S2H. It's more than enough for HTPC needs, plus it already has HDMI out. I don't know if it does hardware video decoding, but if you're not doing the video decoding on this computer (which you probably shouldn't if you have 700 movies, you will probably want to do that on a very powerful quad core machine or it'll take loving forever, plus HTPCs should be low power, low heat, and silent), and you're not going to rip TV or movies, that shouldn't matter. This is more than sufficient to stream 1080p.

For a CPU, it's hard to go wrong with the 5000+ Black Edition. Comes at 2.6GHz, has an unlocked multiplier (so it should very easily hit 3 or 3.2GHz if you have to overclock it, which you probably won't), and only dissipates 65W as opposed to the 90W that the CPU you originally wanted dissipates. The more power dissipated, the hotter the chip runs, and the noisier the fan needs to be to cool it. All this for almost half the price of the 6000+. Get the 5000+ for sure. Note that it does not come with a heatsink, so if you get it, pair it with something reasonable like the Arctic Cooling Freezer 64 Pro for a mere $25 extra. It'll keep it way cooler than the stock cooler for the 6000+ would while at the same time running more quietly. You'll want to verify that the cooler fits in your case, but since your case is 7.6" tall and the heatsink is under 5" it should fit. Google around for people who have used that combination to be 100% sure though.

If you're not doing video decoding on the HTPC, you don't need a video card since the motherboard I recommended has a powerful video processor built in with HDMI out and is perfectly capable of streaming 1080p content. If you must have one, get the ATI 3650 or the NVidia 8500, as they both (to my knowledge) do hardware video decoding and are very cheap.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong here, but a motherboard with HDMI out ONLY outputs video through the HDMI connection. I could be completely wrong, but I'm pretty sure this is the case. So if that's the case, you'll need to use the optical connection on the motherboard to output your sound. Like I said, though, I could be wrong here.

Lastly, get this Corsair 450W PSU if you're not getting a graphics card. Corsairs are extremely high quality, run very quietly, and provide very stable power to your machine. I have the 620W and it's an incredible power supply.

The memory you picked out is an excellent choice and leaves the option to expand in the future if you ever need to, but you likely won't. Also, Silverstone cases kick rear end if you can afford them. Nice choice!

As to your last 2 questions, honestly I'm not sure. I'd be very interested to know the answer to the first, but I'm guessing they either cannot, or cannot do so as well as a standalone DVD player would, but that's pure speculation.

EDIT: I did a quick search and found several examples of people using the Freezer 7 Pro (same thing as the 64 Pro, but for Intel CPUs) with that case, so you're good to go with that heatsink/case combination.

dealmaster fucked around with this message at 22:26 on Mar 27, 2008

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

Mr. Boogalow posted:

I've been researching building HTPCs and am almost ready to take the plunge.

What I'd like to do is convert all ~700 movies / TV series that I own into a digital format (I can convert to .iso files using Aimersoft's DVDRipper) and store / play them on a HTPC. All of the movies are SD, but I plan on buying HD movies through Amazon Unbox. I have no interest in ripping TV shows or movies from cable, at least not right now.

After spending a bit of time on NewEgg, this is a preliminary list of components:
*Case: Silverstone GD01B-MXR with Remote (Simply gorgeous, but I'm concerned that the LCD won't work with Ubuntu)
*Graphics Card: EVGA 320-P2-N811-AR with GeForce 8800GTS
*Power Supply: Enermax Liberty ELT500AWT
*Hard Drive: 1 TB Seagate Barracuda 7200.11 (I'd be getting more for storage and backup eventually, this is more of a start-up)
*Motherboard: ASUS Crosshair
*CPU: Athlon 64 X2 6000+
*RAM: G.SKILL 4GB DDR2 800
*The TV everything will play on: Vizio VU42LF (Already own; HD, no DVI input so I'd have to buy a DVI->HDMI cable)
I plan on installing Ubuntu rather than Windows XP/Vista and will be using MeediOS or similar.

I agree with Dealmaster almost entirely, to add:

Motherboards with HDMI out aren't limited to it, it functions just like any other video output. Many have DVI and VGA built in as well, so that's not an issue.

HTPCs can definitely upscale DVDs, although don't expect any miracles in picture improvement. The motherboard dealmaster described does do HD decoding in the chipset, but to my knowlegdge it's windows only, and I think you indicated a Linux install. Theoretically the processor could handle HD video but my knowledge of how it performs in Linux is nil.
Finally, as long as your preferred front end can read your rips, I don't think it really matters what you put them into. You could make an argument for ripping to a higher compression codec to save space, but otherwise .iso is probably fine.

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

Crackbone posted:

What video card are you using, and do you have "filter paks" installed?
MSI Radeon HD 2600XT. I have the CCCP installed. Thassall.

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

Fifty Three posted:

MSI Radeon HD 2600XT. I have the CCCP installed. Thassall.

I have no idea what the cccp pak is but if it's a filter pack it should uninstalled as they can seriously mess with hd playback decoding.

Finally, what are you trying to play? Bluray, HDDVD, mkv, etc.

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

It's the Combined Community Codec Pack, for playing all the different stupid formats fansub studios put out. I'll try uninstalling it when I get the chance.

I'm trying to play 720p H264 .mkv files with Media Player Classic.

wretchx
Dec 4, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

Crackbone posted:

HTPCs can definitely upscale DVDs, although don't expect any miracles in picture improvement. The motherboard dealmaster described does do HD decoding in the chipset, but to my knowlegdge it's windows only, and I think you indicated a Linux install. Theoretically the processor could handle HD video but my knowledge of how it performs in Linux is nil.
To add clarification, you can't play Blu-ray on Linux. So for HD content, you'd have to resort to less legal methods, unless you rip the BD with AnyDVD HD to obtain the files without copy protection.

But I'm not sure what CPU you'd need to play HD in general on Linux. It'd probably be quite a bit heftier than what's needed under Windows since if I recall correctly, FFmpeg is not multi-threaded.

wretchx fucked around with this message at 05:45 on Mar 28, 2008

Sexual Lorax
Mar 17, 2004

HERE'S TO FUCKING

Fun Shoe

windsor posted:

To add clarification, you can't play Blu-ray on Linux. So for HD content, you'd have to resort to less legal methods, unless you rip the BD with AnyDVD HD to obtain the files without copy protection.

But I'm not sure what CPU you'd need to play HD in general on Linux. It'd probably be quite a bit heftier than what's needed under Windows since if I recall correctly, FFmpeg is not multi-threaded.

poo poo. I'd appreciate PMs from anybody who has a Linux HD setup, has a few minutes to spare, and would care to share HTPC planning advice.

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

Fifty Three posted:

It's the Combined Community Codec Pack, for playing all the different stupid formats fansub studios put out. I'll try uninstalling it when I get the chance.

I'm trying to play 720p H264 .mkv files with Media Player Classic.

It doesn't sound like you're doing anything wrong.

Do you have other media to try? I know there are .mkvs are sometimes encoded in a way that won't allow video card to do hardware decoding.

vanilla slimfast
Dec 6, 2006

If anyone needs me, I'll be in the Angry Dome

Sexual Lorax posted:

poo poo. I'd appreciate PMs from anybody who has a Linux HD setup, has a few minutes to spare, and would care to share HTPC planning advice.

I have a MythTV setup hooked up to an HDTV, and even though the current stable builds of ffmpeg are not multi-threaded, it has no problems with playing back HD content

This includes captures made by Myth itself from my cable (mpeg2-low cpu requirements) as well as x264 encoded content with mplayer

If you're feeling adventurous, I believe recent SVN builds of ffmpeg can be built to run multi-threaded.

If you have any particular questions about how to make Myth work, feel free to PM me or respond here. I'd also recommend reading through previous posts of mine in this thread as I discuss my build and configuration at length

Malay
Aug 31, 2003

A meeting of great minds.

.Nathan. posted:

So it's been two months since i first posted the HTPC build i was going to start, and since then i think i've changed my mind on just about every component except maybe the RAM. So many decisions. Anyway, i can't take my old HTPC any longer, so i think this is my final list:

1 GIGABYTE GA-P35-DS3L LGA 775 Intel P35 ATX All Solid Capacitor Intel
1 SAPPHIRE 100225L Radeon HD 3870 512MB 256-bit GDDR4 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP
1 Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 Wolfdale 3.0GHz LGA 775 65W Dual-Core Processor
1 Thermaltake Purepower W0100RU ATX 12V 2.0 500W Power Supply - Retail
2 A-DATA 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit
1 Western Digital Caviar SE16 WD7500AAKS 750GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive
1 Logitech diNovo Mini 920-000594 Black USB Bluetooth Wireless Mini Keyboard
1 ASUS 20X DVD±R DVD Burner with LightScribe Black SATA Model DRW-2014L1T
1 Microsoft Windows Vista 32-Bit Home Premium for System Builders Single Pack
1 EDIMAX EW-7318USG USB 2.0 Wireless LAN Hi-Gain Adapter - Retail
1 ARCTIC COOLING Freezer 7 Pro 92mm CPU Cooler - Retail
1 Omaura TF11 Case + IR kit

Yes, i realize some of the components are complete overkill, but it's my first build and the $300 or so extra i'm spending compared to what i could probably get by with doesn't seem like such a big deal.

Are any codecs making use of multiple cores? I was planning on using the Q6600 for a long time, then it seemed the E8400 would be the best bet, but the Q9300 looks interesting as well.

Also i'm guessing i need to get a PS/2 keyboard and mouse for initial set-up until i can install the DiNovo drivers? Sorry for all the questions. Thanks in advance.

I built a pretty similar machine about a month ago. My first HTPC build, ever. Specs were as follows:

ASUS P5E-VM
E8400 CPU
4GB RAM (2x2GB)
Sapphire 3870 512MB (single slot)
WD 750GB HD
Pioneer DVR-212 (it's basically silent for general playback)
Corsair 520HX (needed modular cables inside a relatively small case)
Microsoft Wireless Entertainment Desktop 7000
Vista Ultimate x64 OEM
OrigenAE S14V black

I have it running via HDMI from the 3870 (carrying audio+video) to a Pioneer 50" plasma (720p). I can post some pictures if you want.

The MS keyboard / mouse are Bluetooth but worked out of the box during Vista setup. I like that the keyboard is quite slim and there's a small touch pad on the right to control the cursor if you don't want to use the mouse. I've used the KB/mouse for some COD4 and it's quite responsive (though not ultra-gamer like).

As for codecs, ffdshow and CoreAVC are both multi-threaded. You should not need anything beyond those two major codecs for video decoding. I don't have any type of speaker setup so I can't really speak to audio decoding, though it would appear ffdshow fully supports audio passthrough. You can even survive just with ffdshow unless you prefer CoreAVC's more efficient decoding of h264 video, though it may come with a trade-off on picture quality.

You're probably best off sticking with the x86 build of Vista as the codec support for x64 is out there but still a bit immature. While Windows x64 ships with both Windows Media Player 32- and 64-bit, Vista Media Center ONLY has 64-bit support under Vista x64, so you will need 64-bit codecs for EVERYTHING. I have had no problem decoding and viewing all types of video using ffdshow and a 64-bit Matroska splitter, but if you prefer CoreAVC there is no 64-bit version.

Just be really diligent when you first set up; install the bare minimums, codec-wise. If you can survive with just ffdshow and Haali's splitter for Matroska, do it!

Bender
May 12, 2001

Fun Shoe
Does anyone use Vista Media Center to watch HDTV? I recently upgraded to SP1, and for some reason, NBC no longer shows up in Media Center. I have two other tuner programs on my HTPC, and both detect it fine and it comes in at 100%, but Media Center doesn't see it at all.

Any ideas? How is this even possible?

.Nathan.
Jun 29, 2004

by Fistgrrl

Malay posted:

As for codecs, ffdshow and CoreAVC are both multi-threaded. You should not need anything beyond those two major codecs for video decoding. I don't have any type of speaker setup so I can't really speak to audio decoding, though it would appear ffdshow fully supports audio passthrough. You can even survive just with ffdshow unless you prefer CoreAVC's more efficient decoding of h264 video, though it may come with a trade-off on picture quality.

Thanks for the help. I've been using CoreAVC for a while now just because my P4 can't handle any sort of h.264 stuff without it, but i'll probably see how everything runs with FFDShow at first just because it would be nice and simple to control levels and colorspace with just one program. I'll just run AC3Filter for the audio pass-through to my receiver like i've been doing hopefully. Only Vista experience i have is using it on my day-to-day laptop, so i'll be curious to see how it works when it's the backbone of my A/V set-up.

LordOfThePants
Sep 25, 2002

I'm a little surprised, but it appears my P4 2.6C just isn't enough processor for an HTPC. I finally got SageTV working last night and could tune some of the QAM channels, but playback wasn't as smooth as it should have been and when I tried to record something, playback froze completely.

To upgrade to a dual core solution I'd need to replace the motherboard, ram, cpu, and power supply, so I'll probably just end up buying a TivoHD to replace my SD Tivo. I'll keep trying until my 21 day trial of SageTV is up - hopefully I can get it working.

Uziel
Jun 28, 2004

Ask me about losing 200lbs, and becoming the Viking God of W&W.
I was considering building a HTPC to take the place of my aging DVD player. My TV is a 40" Sony Bravia with a native resolution of 768p. How does that work? I'd be connecting it via HDMI. Do I need to set some type of custom resolution of 768p or?

Also, how do you integrate IR remote control with a computer?

Uziel fucked around with this message at 15:33 on Mar 31, 2008

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

Uziel posted:

I was considering building a HTPC to take the place of my aging DVD player. My TV is a 40" Sony Bravia with a native resolution of 768p. How does that work? I'd be connecting it via HDMI. Do I need to set some type of custom resolution of 768p or?

Also, how do you integrate IR remote control with a computer?

The big question is are you ever planing on gaming on it? There are plenty of cases that you can get from HTPC vendors that come with IR remotes. If you aren't planing on gaming with it, you could get away with a $5-600 HTPC that will play back DVDs and HD content, much less if you will never need to play back HD stuff.

As for connecting via HDMI, if you get a motherboard like the Asus P5E-VM HDMI series motherboard will output audio and video up to 1080p (which is perfect in your case) and can take any Core2Duo chip. I would even suggest it if you want to game because it can use the new 45nm processors (like the E8400), has a capacity for 8GB of RAM, and up to 6 SATA devices.

Uziel
Jun 28, 2004

Randi Challenger posted:

The big question is are you ever planing on gaming on it? There are plenty of cases that you can get from HTPC vendors that come with IR remotes. If you aren't planing on gaming with it, you could get away with a $5-600 HTPC that will play back DVDs and HD content, much less if you will never need to play back HD stuff.

As for connecting via HDMI, if you get a motherboard like the Asus P5E-VM HDMI series motherboard will output audio and video up to 1080p (which is perfect in your case) and can take any Core2Duo chip. I would even suggest it if you want to game because it can use the new 45nm processors (like the E8400), has a capacity for 8GB of RAM, and up to 6 SATA devices.
I would definitely be gaming on it. I have a Logitech remote though that I'd like to use. Thanks for the info regarding the HDMI motherboards, I will take a look at it, but I guess I'd want a video card with HDMI instead of having it onboard?

Uziel fucked around with this message at 18:44 on Mar 31, 2008

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry
This might be a question for SH/SC, but is there a cheap IR receiver out there that I can use just a normal IR remote. It could be USB or serial, but USB would be better. I would also rather have something that comes with the software that it needs or uses free software instead of something that requires Girder.

Sexual Lorax
Mar 17, 2004

HERE'S TO FUCKING

Fun Shoe

Lowen SoDium posted:

This might be a question for SH/SC, but is there a cheap IR receiver out there that I can use just a normal IR remote. It could be USB or serial, but USB would be better. I would also rather have something that comes with the software that it needs or uses free software instead of something that requires Girder.

Lots of people on Newegg say they're buying the Media Center Infrared Remote Control just for the IR receiver. I'm not vouching, just passing on what I've read.

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

Uziel posted:

I would definitely be gaming on it. I have a Logitech remote though that I'd like to use. Thanks for the info regarding the HDMI motherboards, I will take a look at it, but I guess I'd want a video card with HDMI instead of having it onboard?

There are a few 8800GT and 9600s that have a header that will connect to a S/PDIF jumper on the motherboard so you can connect via HDMI and get the benefit of an all in one cable. Just make sure whatever motherboard you pick out has the jumper for S/PDIF on it and you get the little cable (some motherboards/video cards that support that come with them). Other then that this is the basic build for a multi-use machine:

E8400/Xeon 3110 (quad core is really unneeded)
2+ GB of DDR2 800 RAM (4GB is nice if you use Vista64, it is cheap too)
A motherboard that will suit your needs in the way of connectors and card slots
8800GT/8800GTS G92/9600GT (with the SPDIF header if you want to use HDMI with sound)
HDD/optical drives of your choice (A dvd burner can be had for 30$ on newegg)
A nice power supply that will power plenty on the +12v rails (the more the better)
Case

Most of this can be gotten from the first post of the SH/SC Parts Guide. You don't need a lot to run a HTPC, mostly space and more then 2.5GHz on a dual core processor for 1080p content, so for gaming, thats about the best you can do for the money.

Uziel
Jun 28, 2004

Very awesome, thank you.

What about the resolution since the TV is 768p?

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

Uziel posted:

Very awesome, thank you.

What about the resolution since the TV is 768p?

Well you can use Powerstrip to force custom resolutions if the whatever x 768 resolution doesnt show up. 1280x720 should scale perfectly and isn't that much of a stretch from 768p. All your TV is doing is using its internal scaling hardware to take a 1280x720 picture and stretching it to the native resolution of your set.

dfn_doe
Apr 12, 2005

Lowen SoDium posted:

usbuirt plus eventghost is the best solution I've found thus far. Works great receiving signal from all the remotes I've tried it with and allows for total flexibility with how it interfaces with other programs. Also the ability to SEND ir codes with it via ir blasters makes some tricky automation tasks possible.

.Nathan.
Jun 29, 2004

by Fistgrrl
Oh yes, today was a good day:

E8400 gets here tomorrow, then i'm just stuck waiting on my Omaura TF11 because they're a bunch of faggots who don't work out export logistics before letting people order their cases. 4/7 is the expected ship date from Dell, if it looks like it's going to take longer then i don't know what i'll do. Make my own case out of a cardboard box maybe.

Edit: Went ahead and cancelled my TF11 order and ordered an OrigenAE s16v. It cost me $160 more which sucks a lot since i didn't even want a front display, but the TF11 would have taken atleast another 3 weeks, probably more. Oh well. The s16v looks amazing though, and unlike the Omaura it will actually come with documentation and decent customer service.

.Nathan. fucked around with this message at 07:17 on Apr 3, 2008

Kill Bodies
Oct 5, 2003
oorah
For my HTPC I'd like to have an emulator. Now because I've been through a shitload of joypads, the only one I trust is the PS2 controller.

Has anyone seen an external bay that allows you to plug a PS2 controller in to the front of the computer? I've looked on new egg and several other sites but can't seem to find one. I've only seen the the cord type like this one. http://www.hartsunlimited.com/supdualboxwi.html

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

Kill Bodies posted:

For my HTPC I'd like to have an emulator. Now because I've been through a shitload of joypads, the only one I trust is the PS2 controller.

Has anyone seen an external bay that allows you to plug a PS2 controller in to the front of the computer? I've looked on new egg and several other sites but can't seem to find one. I've only seen the the cord type like this one. http://www.hartsunlimited.com/supdualboxwi.html

I doubt you'd find a niche port plate like that, since usb adaptors are far easier to use/buy.

You should really consider an Xbox 360 controller (wired or wireless) if you're using windows.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Kill Bodies posted:

You could always get a Bluetooth adapter and use PS3 controllers. They are working fairly well under Windows at this point using BtSix.