Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JoeNotCharles
Mar 3, 2005

Yet beyond each tree there are only more trees.

There Will Be Penalty posted:

Not if you use GNU Stow.

Which is again a separate tool outside of "make; make install; make uninstall", so why not just use checkinstall?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chris_bacon
Feb 27, 2008
Is it possible to make an alias so that when I gedit something.cpp it will automatically run gedit as a background process?

I tried alias gedit gedit & but it doesn't work :(

ShoulderDaemon
Oct 9, 2003
support goon fund
Taco Defender

chris_bacon posted:

Is it possible to make an alias so that when I gedit something.cpp it will automatically run gedit as a background process?

I tried alias gedit gedit & but it doesn't work :(

function bgedit () { gedit "$*" & } may work for you.

chris_bacon
Feb 27, 2008

ShoulderDaemon posted:

function bgedit () { gedit "$*" & } may work for you.

I tried this and it said: Badly placed () 's.

Does it matter that I'm using cshell?

ShoulderDaemon
Oct 9, 2003
support goon fund
Taco Defender

chris_bacon posted:

I tried this and it said: Badly placed () 's.

Does it matter that I'm using cshell?

Oh, yeah, that was a POSIX-sh function. I can't remember how to do what you want in csh.

chris_bacon
Feb 27, 2008

ShoulderDaemon posted:

Oh, yeah, that was a POSIX-sh function. I can't remember how to do what you want in csh.

alright, I figured it out, it's just:

alias gedit gedit \&

rugbert
Mar 26, 2003
yea, fuck you

Alowishus posted:

You're going to need to define a Catalog and some Indexes... some of those may exist in your site, you may just have to figure out how to query them.

Docs here in the Zope book.

the zope site is retarded. the server we inherited doesnt have zcatalog installed. But I cant find a link to download it anywhere, ive searched all over their CVS to no avail.

Only Shallow
Nov 12, 2005

show

Feral Integral posted:

I want to back up my music directory to a server on another computer.

jegHegy posted:

I'd use rsync

This is the command I use for this very purpose if it helps:

quote:

rsync -avz --delete ~/localpathto/Music/ username@example.com:~/serverMusic/

Set up SSH shared key login and you won't even have to authenticate.

Alowishus
Jan 8, 2002

My name is Mud

rugbert posted:

the zope site is retarded. the server we inherited doesnt have zcatalog installed. But I cant find a link to download it anywhere, ive searched all over their CVS to no avail.
Zuh?? I won't argue that the Zope site is somewhat retarded, but ZCatalog is a fundamental piece of the base Zope distribution... any Zope 2.x tarball will have it, and the only way a server wouldn't have it installed is if someone purposely removed it... and at that point I'm not sure Zope would even start.

Were you expecting some sort of external utility? It should just be available as an object in the "Select type to add..." dropdown in the ZMI.

rugbert
Mar 26, 2003
yea, fuck you

Alowishus posted:

Zuh?? I won't argue that the Zope site is somewhat retarded, but ZCatalog is a fundamental piece of the base Zope distribution... any Zope 2.x tarball will have it, and the only way a server wouldn't have it installed is if someone purposely removed it... and at that point I'm not sure Zope would even start.

Were you expecting some sort of external utility? It should just be available as an object in the "Select type to add..." dropdown in the ZMI.

oh ... i read some page that goes the installation and assumed I had to install it. :\

well thanks tho!

hey mom its 420
May 12, 2007

Is there a way that I can map a remote folder that I ssh to to a local folder? So that /home/user/my_ssh/somefolder acts like ssh://my_ssh_server/somefolder

tehk
Mar 10, 2006

[-4] Flaw: Heart Broken - Tehk is extremely lonely. The Gay Empire's ultimate weapon finds it hard to have time for love.

Bonus posted:

Is there a way that I can map a remote folder that I ssh to to a local folder? So that /home/user/my_ssh/somefolder acts like ssh://my_ssh_server/somefolder

You need to use sshfs to mount the remote server, or you can jut use nautilus and the 'connect to server' in your places drop down on your panel.

edit: Also you might need to make sure your user has rights to mount FUSE file systems in your Users and Groups menu

tehk fucked around with this message at 22:32 on Apr 1, 2008

waffle iron
Jan 16, 2004
You're probably looking for something like sshfs that is used with FUSE. Most distros have it packaged for easy install.

http://fuse.sourceforge.net/
http://fuse.sourceforge.net/sshfs.html

hey mom its 420
May 12, 2007

Thanks guys!

brae
Feb 2, 2006

jnr posted:

rsync -avz --delete ~/localpathto/Music/ username@example.com:~/serverMusic/

I use this exact command with different paths to keep the iTunes on my desktop at work and my laptop synced. It felt silly letting my laptop be awake all day just to serve music when the desktop could do it just as well. Since it overwrites the iTunes database, I get playlists too, which is nice.

other people
Jun 27, 2004
Associate Christ
I just got a new ipod nano. I stuck it in my macbook and then went through the little setup in itunes where you give it a name and update it.

When I plug it into my linux computer it sees the device but it says it has an unknown partition table. Is it formatted to HFS or something? I thought they all used FAT32 now. Can I format it to fat32 and use it normally? What can I do to get this working?

Thank you!

edit: It seems I need to "restore" my ipod to use fat32. But as far as I can tell you can only do this with itunes in Windows? I don't have a computer with windows!

edit edit: I used the osx disk utility to repartition and reformat to fat32 and now it is working. One thing that is a bit odd is that the ipod reports that there are zero songs on the device, but all the music is on there and is playable. Does anyone know a fix for this?

other people fucked around with this message at 06:56 on Apr 2, 2008

ErIog
Jul 11, 2001

:nsacloud:
I'm confused as to why you would want to do something like that. If you don't have any Windows computers then what is the difference if it's formatted as HFS?

Mr. Eric Praline
Aug 13, 2004
I didn't like the others, they were all too flat.

ErIog posted:

I'm confused as to why you would want to do something like that. If you don't have any Windows computers then what is the difference if it's formatted as HFS?
Because Linux is expecting it to be fat32 when it mounts.

Kaluza-Klein posted:

I used the osx disk utility to repartition and reformat to fat32 and now it is working. One thing that is a bit odd is that the ipod reports that there are zero songs on the device, but all the music is on there and is playable. Does anyone know a fix for this?
The "restore" does more than format the ipod. It also generates the initial database and related files so the Ipod knows where to find what files. If you just copied them in place without the itunes database, they'll sit there as mp3's and your PC will find and play them, but the ipod itself will ignore them.

I don't know if this'll work, since I've never used itunes on OSX but you can try:
1. restore your ipod as normal in itunes
2. Copy everything itunes puts on the ipod to your hard drive
3. Use OSX disk utility to format as fat32
4. Copy itunes stuff back to ipod.
5. Add songs via itunes.

Ferg
May 6, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
While we're on the topic of iPods and Linux, let me throw out there that Floola is an awesome iPod management app for Windows/Mac/Linux that runs straight off the iPod. No need for any synchronization or whatever. :eng101:

Cannister
Sep 6, 2006

Steadfast & Ignorant
Linux super-noob here, I'm just getting the hang of the terminal and the filestructure. I've recently installed Fedora 8 and am having trouble with linuxdc++. I can sign onto my local hub, but I can't search or download anything from anyone. I read somewhere that it has to do with the TCP and UDP ports. They're all set to 0 - I have Active set for incoming connection settings and Direct Connection for Outgoing connection settings. Any suggestions?

Also I recently installed fluxbox and I'm wondering if somebody could point me in the direction of how to get my desktop environment looking like this (as far as the computer status in the upper right and the icons in the menu).

tehk
Mar 10, 2006

[-4] Flaw: Heart Broken - Tehk is extremely lonely. The Gay Empire's ultimate weapon finds it hard to have time for love.

Cannister posted:

Also I recently installed fluxbox and I'm wondering if somebody could point me in the direction of how to get my desktop environment looking like this (as far as the computer status in the upper right and the icons in the menu).

You want Conky!

Cannister
Sep 6, 2006

Steadfast & Ignorant

tehk posted:

You want Conky!

I did! Thanks!

Captain Cool
Oct 23, 2004

This is a song about messin' with people who've been messin' with you
Programming/kernel question: Can someone tell me how the Linux USB system has changed in the last five years in order to make a user-space app no longer able to write to USB devices with ioctl?

I'm currently debugging an embedded program that needs to communicate to a few USB devices. We're using some backend code from GNU Radio from 2003, specifically, fusb_linux.cc and its supporting files. It goes something like this:
-Search bus for our USB device (ok)
-Open USB device, get usb_device* struct (ok)
-Blindly pull file descriptor from the struct (ugly, but seems to work, gives a fd of 3 or 5 or something)
-Write a USB Request Block to file descriptor with ioctl (fail, "no such file or directory")

I'm thinking this might be related to USB devices moving from /proc/bus/usb to /dev/bus/usb . The dev machine is running Ubuntu 2.6. /proc/bus/usb is empty. The machine has usbview, but it gives an error and can't see anything.

I tried a few mounting workarounds that I found online, but they failed.

Is there a more likely problem? Is there a workaround to the above? Can this all be done with the built-in linux/usb.h and related libraries now?

edit: okay, this might be a problem with our device, since a very similar device works on the dev machine. One more minor question, if you know about this stuff: Why does our <linux/usb.h> not contain usb_submit_urb() ?

Captain Cool fucked around with this message at 06:22 on Apr 4, 2008

other people
Jun 27, 2004
Associate Christ

chryst posted:

Because Linux is expecting it to be fat32 when it mounts.

The "restore" does more than format the ipod. It also generates the initial database and related files so the Ipod knows where to find what files. If you just copied them in place without the itunes database, they'll sit there as mp3's and your PC will find and play them, but the ipod itself will ignore them.

I don't know if this'll work, since I've never used itunes on OSX but you can try:
1. restore your ipod as normal in itunes
2. Copy everything itunes puts on the ipod to your hard drive
3. Use OSX disk utility to format as fat32
4. Copy itunes stuff back to ipod.
5. Add songs via itunes.

Sorry, I suppose I was not clear. The ipod is formatted and working with it's file structure. I have added songs to it that appear and play fine. It is just that it reports on the main screen that you have zero songs. When you then click "songs" and start browsing you can see and play all of them, but just at that one point it has the number zero. A very minor thing, but I was wondering if there was a quick way around it.

Slow is Fast
Dec 25, 2006

I was wondering if anyone had any alternatives to mt-daapd (firefly) to stream music via the daap protocol. I installed mt-daapd from synaptic, set up the config file, but whenever I try to connect to the share, wont verify the password, and treats anything I type in as the password wrong. I went over my config with a fine tooth comb, so I'm not sure what I did wrong. I'd appreciate if anyone had any alternatives, otherwise I'll keep poking with mt-daapd to get it working.

rookieone
May 25, 2004

A small town never forgets
Questions regarding LVM

I have a Linux file server and I want to rebuild it this weekend (update to Hardy mainly) while adding a new old harddisk (formerly in an external FW enclosure that needs a bigger disk for backing up my MacBook). That HD (80Gb) will house the main paritions (root and swap and home) so I can use my now badly unused main HD to increase the place for my media files.

I was wondering if I could use LVM to regroup my 5 or so partitions into one big file store so I don't have to worry about running out of space on my /movies partion while having tons of space left on my /music partition. Ideally I would like to regroup those partitions without having to format because I don't have any spare HDs to back stuff up to.
The plan is to have one big volume (logical) spanning 3 HDs and 5 or so partitions called /media with subfolders with the different types of media (pictures, music etc.)

How does LVM behave when one of the disks gives up the ghost ? does the whole group go bust or will only the data on that one disk be lost ? I know it's not really a great idea because there's no redundancy and I would be better off at least using RAID (LVM is just JBOD if I understood the principle right) but the comfort of having one big unified file store outweighs the risk of losing the date on there (nothing important or irreplacable is stored there exclusively without additional backups)

Bonus question: If the system goes bust (say the HD with the OS crashes or there is a bug forcing me to reinstall the OS) do I lose the data on the LVM or can I just "rebuild" it ?

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!
I'm using LVM's for my primary system in my home server for a media file server. I'm not too concerned with loosing a lot of my data due to failure as it would just take time to re-rip all the disks I have. I back up my important documents onto another drive.
One of the more knowledgeable goons might prove me wrong here, but this is from my limited experience.

rookieone posted:

I was wondering if I could use LVM to regroup my 5 or so partitions into one big file store so I don't have to worry about running out of space on my /movies partion while having tons of space left on my /music partition. Ideally I would like to regroup those partitions without having to format because I don't have any spare HDs to back stuff up to.
The plan is to have one big volume (logical) spanning 3 HDs and 5 or so partitions called /media with subfolders with the different types of media (pictures, music etc.)

This is the nice thing about LVMs. You can both grow and shrink them as needed. So you have your 3 HDD's with the 5 partitions, you can lump all 5 partitions (the physical volumes, vg's)into a single LVM pool, and then divvy them up at will. For example, if all 5 partitions add up to 500gb, you can split this up as different volume groups(vg's).
The downside is I believe you will have to format the data from the drives as you add them into the LVM. I was able to do this with a lot of movement of data when I bought a new drive. Create the LVM w/ an empty disk, move all the data from the old drive to the new lvm, format the old disk and add it to the lvm, then grow the fs to include that drive, and so on so forth. Messy, but worked :rock:

quote:

How does LVM behave when one of the disks gives up the ghost ? does the whole group go bust or will only the data on that one disk be lost ? I know it's not really a great idea because there's no redundancy and I would be better off at least using RAID (LVM is just JBOD if I understood the principle right) but the comfort of having one big unified file store outweighs the risk of losing the date on there (nothing important or irreplacable is stored there exclusively without additional backups)

From my understanding, when you loose one disk, you'll be able to remove it from the pool using the LVM tools. Then the data missing will be whatever was stored on that disk only, all other data will be available after removing the pv and shrinking the FS. This could be wrong on my part, but that is my understanding. Also, I believe the LVM algorithms force full files onto a single partition, so you wont be missing half of the file, but an all or none kind of situation.

quote:

Bonus question: If the system goes bust (say the HD with the OS crashes or there is a bug forcing me to reinstall the OS) do I lose the data on the LVM or can I just "rebuild" it ?

The LVM can be moved from system to system

deong fucked around with this message at 16:42 on Apr 4, 2008

fletcher
Jun 27, 2003

ken park is my favorite movie

Cybernetic Crumb
Is there any performance reason to split up directories with a large (100,000+) number of files? The files are only read individually, a directory listing of them is never needed.

Mr. Eric Praline
Aug 13, 2004

fletcher posted:

Is there any performance reason to split up directories with a large (100,000+) number of files? The files are only read individually, a directory listing of them is never needed.
You should be ok as long as you're calling by specific filenames, and not globs or regex.

Just make sure you've got enough inodes. If you run out, you'll have trouble repairing. That's a filesystem config question tho, not simply splitting directories.

parasyte
Aug 13, 2003

Nobody wants to die except the suicides. They're no fun.
So last I checked, syncing Windows Mobile phones is kind of a major pain in the goddamn rear end in Linux. I *was* using Outlook 2007 I got with a free license of Office, but I'm switching over to Linux almost entirely and this is one of the few things that hasn't been a seamless transition.

What's the state of syncing Windows Mobile stuff, particularly WinMo 6.1? And will I still have to boot Vista to run ROM updates?

Also, is GnuCash pretty good? It looks it but I haven't tried it yet.

Slow is Fast
Dec 25, 2006

So after failing at getting mt-daapd working, I've found xmms2. It supports daap, and I can do a whole lot more with it then what I could have done with mt-daapd. I have it installed, along with all the decoders and the daap plugin. Now how do I create a media library and daap share? I'm assuming I'm using the xmms2 mlib add command. I want mlib instead of coll correct? I just want to add my music folder, stream it to winamp, and have a daap share.

I've looked over the xmms2 wiki and manpage, but I'm pretty overwhelmed. If someone could point out a simple how to, or tell me the commands I'm looking for, I'd be appreciative.

covener
Jan 10, 2004

You know, for kids!

chryst posted:

You should be ok as long as you're calling by specific filenames, and not globs or regex.

I think you're still paying the penalty even when you know filenames all the way down but you have large directories along the way.

Cannister
Sep 6, 2006

Steadfast & Ignorant
A little while ago I posted a problem about DC++ and ports that went unanswered - I figured out last night that it's my firewall - I downloaded firestarter and disabled the firewall and suddenly could download files! My question now is how do I allow DC++ in firestarter. I know it'll have to do with adding a rule in the policy tab but I'm not sure what to do with the IP address or ports part - as DC++ uses both UDP and TCP ports, and certain ranges of both.

Mr. Eric Praline
Aug 13, 2004

covener posted:

I think you're still paying the penalty even when you know filenames all the way down but you have large directories along the way.
Yeah, it's definitely a performance issue, but it probably won't hang or segfault.

Ferg
May 6, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

parasyte posted:

So last I checked, syncing Windows Mobile phones is kind of a major pain in the goddamn rear end in Linux. I *was* using Outlook 2007 I got with a free license of Office, but I'm switching over to Linux almost entirely and this is one of the few things that hasn't been a seamless transition.

What's the state of syncing Windows Mobile stuff, particularly WinMo 6.1? And will I still have to boot Vista to run ROM updates?

Last time I tried syncing Windows Mobile to Linux it was through a program called SynCE which can interface with Evolution via something called Multisync. It was lackluster at best, but did the job. Mind you, this was Windows Mobile 2003. Since I've been running Windows Mobile 5 I haven't tried, much less Windows Mobile 6.1.

Slow is Fast
Dec 25, 2006

I have my Mythtv Backend setup now. I'm moving my tv recording over from BeyondTV on windows to MythTV on linux.

The biggest thing I liked about BeyondTV was that I could cut out the commercials and transcode the episode to xvid to save space. I want to set this up in myth, but I have no clue where to start. I read the Nuvexport article on the mythwiki, but I got intimidated by all the info and have no clue where to start. I know I have to set up a userjob in myth, but I don't know what I have to type. I also want to move the episode from the main drive to my raid5 array once recording and transcoding is done.

If anyone has any tips or a good tutorial for me to read, I'd be thrilled.

tehk
Mar 10, 2006

Slow is Fast posted:

If anyone has any tips or a good tutorial for me to read, I'd be thrilled.

Check out this script(here is the creators blog where he explains it) on the nuvexport mythwiki page. That should give you a decent starting point, and a simple 'mv $thefilevarible /my/raid/array/' after the transcoding would seem to do what you want. The only question I have is do you want this to work automagically or upon request?

tehk fucked around with this message at 12:55 on Apr 7, 2008

Graphics
Jun 9, 2003

I'm a project manager/web designer that has recently been forced to take over server administration duties as well. This is simply because we can't afford to hire someone else to do it. That said, I am actually learning a lot and having fun doing it (aside from pounding my head on my desk a few times a week). I tell you this because my questions may be really stupid.

Anyway, here is a quick rundown of what I am working with:

- A 512mb slice running Ubuntu from https://www.slicehost.com
- A fully functional web server (Apache, MySQL, PHP, etc) running Drupal 5.x and CiviCRM 1.9. The site is up and running and works great, my only issue is what I'm about to detail.
- Email is handled by Mailtrust.com (formally Webmail.us) for all domains on this server.

The goal that I am having trouble with: Using CiviCRM to send out email campaigns (very large mailing lists, say 1,500 - 2,000 people, in chunks of 50 - 100 at a time with a large delay between them). We started testing for the first time today with smaller lists of around 50 people who are fully aware we'd be spamming them all this week with fake event invitations.

The actual issue: After the first few tests I noticed certain mail servers were not receiving the emails. Others were. For example, gmail accounts, yahoo accounts, and a few other random domains were receiving the tests just fine. But then we had others like our own email provider, Mailtrust, bouncing mail to accounts that are fully active. This was the case for a few others as well like Hotmail and MSN.

I have googled the bounce messages in /var/log/mail.log to no avail. Here is an example:

code:
Apr  7 21:56:17 Mazenti postfix/smtp[3779]: 3D0672C292: to=<cullen@mazenti.com>, relay=mx1.emailsrvr.com[66.216.121.101], 
delay=0, status=bounced (host mx1.emailsrvr.com[66.216.121.101] said: 550 5.1.0 
<bounce.1.13.68.3dbc3d68095c3d683498264db0c559093d7a9446-cullen=mazenti.com@energyconversation.org>: 
Sender address rejected: User unknown in relay recipient table (in reply to RCPT TO command))
My hunch is one of the follow may be what is causing my troubles:

1. I am sending mail from a server/domain that is pointing it's MX records to another service (Mailtrust.com).

2. The domain in question was moved last night (around 11:30pm central time) from Rackspace's NS to Slicehost's NS. It may still be "propogating"?

With that, I am going to throw one more item into the equation that probably makes this even more complicated. I used telnet from the shell to send an email to an address that was being rejected when sending as part of a mailing list. It worked fine when I did it this way, so it seems something about the way Drupal/CiviMail are sending may be causing the issue. Here is the log from when it was successful to the same address used in the above error log:

code:
Apr  7 21:51:28 Mazenti postfix/qmgr[3020]: 1A56E2C292: from=<info@energyconversation.org>, size=374, 
nrcpt=1 (queue active) Apr  7 21:51:32 Mazenti postfix/smtpd[3764]: disconnect from localhost[127.0.0.1] 
Apr  7 21:52:57 Mazenti postfix/smtp[3768]: 1A56E2C292: host mx1.emailsrvr.com[66.216.121.101] said: 421 4.4.2 
gate1.gate.sat.mlsrvr.com Error: timeout exceeded (in reply to end of DATA command)
Apr  7 21:53:06 Mazenti postfix/smtp[3768]: 1A56E2C292: to=<cullen@mazenti.com>, relay=mx2.emailsrvr.com[207.97.245.97], 
delay=129, status=sent (250 2.0.0 Ok: queued as 872281B43F9)
Apr  7 21:53:06 Mazenti postfix/qmgr[3020]: 1A56E2C292: removed
As you can see there was a timeout, but the email was delivered just fine, so I'm not sure what that means.

Any and all help is appreciated for my what seems like very complicated problem that I hope is not.

landoverbaptist
Sep 9, 2006

by Fistgrrl
I am looking for a way to sync two folders from one server to another, across the internet. Speed is more important to me than encryption.

Server 1 has the files I need. Sync from.
Server 2 has the folder that I want to sync to.

Server 1 - Ubuntu 7.10 and FiOS 15/15
Server 2 - Xp Home edition and Comcast

SCP seems really slow for me, in fact everything seems slow except FTP which I can get 300KB per second on each connection (IE I can have two files going seperately @ 300KB each).

Is there a simple way to go about this?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tehk
Mar 10, 2006

landoverbaptist posted:

Is there a simple way to go about this?

Google Rsync, it is the perfect solution for what you want to do.