Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

melee beats posted:

Do you use it on your guitar or on a keyboard? I'd really like to use it instead of a vocoder

I use it on my bass actually. But as such I have to set it up with a split chain so I can still have a clean signal going to my amp since that little horn in the pedal can't do poo poo for keeping bass response.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Col.Kiwi
Dec 28, 2004
And the grave digger puts on the forceps...

the wizards beard posted:

To add to the Epi discussion, the LP Elite I posted a while back is now mine.

Got the hardcase and a new set of hardware (bridge, strap pins, pickup covers, tailpiece, screws etc) thrown in as well.
Sounds like a great deal man. I've never heard a semihollow LP, clips would be great if you're able. What are your impressions so far in comparison to a normal LP?

Darth Fungus
Mar 12, 2007
Sausage Smoker

Got the hardcase and a new set of hardware (bridge, strap pins, pickup covers, tailpiece, screws etc) thrown in as well.

Woah thats awesome as gently caress

the wizards beard
Apr 15, 2007
Reppin

4 LIFE 4 REAL

Col.Kiwi posted:

Sounds like a great deal man. I've never heard a semihollow LP, clips would be great if you're able. What are your impressions so far in comparison to a normal LP?

No clips for a little while, I don't have an interface at the moment.

As for the sound, it's a lot closer to a LP Standard/Custom than I would have thought (I haven't spent a huge amount of time with either though). The acoustic chambers are a lot smaller than I expected, they don't continue underneath the edge of the f-holes, they're like two channels cut down into the body. The one on the switch side is the same shape as the f-hole and about an inch or two deep, the one on the knobs side is the same size but intersects the control routing.

The sustain is just crazy though, and the whole thing really resonants when I play chords, especially when I add some dirt. I can play palm-muted stuff with distortion and get a really boomy bassy ringing that I've never managed on a solid body before.

I picked it up last night and it had only have 5 strings on it, so I'll restring it tonight and try and give a better description then.

Darth Fungus posted:

Woah thats awesome as gently caress

gently caress yeah it is.

beefnoodle
Aug 7, 2004

IGNORE ME! I'M JUST AN OLD WET RAG
Can I post if I got something for someone else?

I bought this for my 10-yr-old daughter this weekend.

Just a run-of-the-mill $99 Squire Bullet Strat, but it's her first true electric (that's her Little Martin a/e behind it on the stand) and she's the happiest kid in town right now, especially with the color.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

I've looked forever for one of these that'd ship to my region.

Michael Kelly Dragonfly III, acoustic, 5 strings, left handed, fretless.

Finding an acoustic bass is not exactly easy, much less fretless, much less with 5 strings, much less left handed. I can't wait to try it.

EDIT: It's coming with roundwound strings, so I'll want to change them for flatwounds. Anyone got good infos on what to buy?

MononcQc fucked around with this message at 13:26 on Apr 1, 2008

XYZAB
Jun 29, 2003

HNNNNNGG!!
Ok I need some help:

Who makes, and what are, the little guitar effect boxes that attach at the guitar and have the output from there? I thought I saw a vintage Electroharmonix effect like this a while ago on these forums...

EDIT: Like this:

What are other options for similar conveniently portable effects? What I REALLY need is a low-cut or high-boost box like this.

Edit: The EXH Screaming Bird Treble Booster. I guess I answered all of my questions...

On a related note, I just bought a Pignose, which is why I'm in search of tiny effect "pedals." Who else has a Pignose 1-700, and what effects (if any) do you run through it?

XYZAB fucked around with this message at 16:05 on Apr 1, 2008

jfreder
Feb 27, 2008
Got my new Pintech E-Jam kit in the mail yesterday. UPS actually left it sitting on my back porch in the rain and the boxes disintegrated so hopefully they still function fully. They are crudely set up currently, will have to do some tweaking once I get my module

I downgraded the toms to single zone and added a single zone 14" china and got it all for a good price imo. I got them by talking to the guy at Hope Drums. Brian is super helpful. I probably had at least 40 emails between him and I in my inbox in one day from me asking him a ton of questions about the kit.

This is the hi hat. Its mounted on my Yamaha hi hat stand from my acoustic set. Hopefully you can see the resistor box and the cable that is mounted to the foot pedal that measures how open or closed the hats are. The hi hats themselves have a little less stick rebound that I like, but still have a decent feel.

I also ordered an Alesis Trigger I/O to hook it up to my laptop. Think I'm gonna try out EZDrummer as it looks like the easiest to get started while still having good sounds and functionality.

Also got a nice used Roland TD-10 module off of ebay for a nice deal for some nice plug and play action without having to boot up the laptop.

Uncle Caveman
Jun 16, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

MononcQc posted:

EDIT: It's coming with roundwound strings, so I'll want to change them for flatwounds. Anyone got good infos on what to buy?
La Bella, Pyramid or Thomastik-Infield. They're all pricey, but are the best flats you'll ever find and a set will last for years.

JohnnySmitch
Oct 20, 2004

Don't touch me there - Noone has that right.

jfreder posted:

I also ordered an Alesis Trigger I/O to hook it up to my laptop. Think I'm gonna try out EZDrummer as it looks like the easiest to get started while still having good sounds and functionality.

Do you have a pretty good soundcard for your laptop? On mine, if I'm running though my onboard soundcard, any kind of live MIDI has so much latency it's useless; you'll probably need an external (USB, firewire) if you don't already have one.

Very very nice looking kit though - I'm jealous of your hihat setup.

TastyShrimpPlatter
Dec 18, 2006

It's me, I'm the
Nice kit jfreder

I finally got my TD-12S kit yesterday, and only had enough time to get it set up, but not to play.

I've got an additional pd-120 on there for the snare right now.
I'm gonna be getting this in the mail soon, which I'll use for my snare and I'll move the PD-120 to be a floor tom or something

And eventually I'll be getting a couple of these cheap no-name-manufacturer toms plus a matching kick which I'll convert into electronic drums.

jfreder
Feb 27, 2008

JohnnySmitch posted:

Do you have a pretty good soundcard for your laptop? On mine, if I'm running though my onboard soundcard, any kind of live MIDI has so much latency it's useless; you'll probably need an external (USB, firewire) if you don't already have one.

Very very nice looking kit though - I'm jealous of your hihat setup.

I have been reading a good number of people saying the same thing so I started pricing some external USB cards, but just wasn't really sure what I was looking for. Have any suggestion?

Juaguocio
Jun 5, 2005

Oh, David...
My Avatar 2x12 came a day early. April Fools', I guess?

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

Uncle Caveman posted:

La Bella, Pyramid or Thomastik-Infield. They're all pricey, but are the best flats you'll ever find and a set will last for years.

I'm a complete beginner when it comes to acoustics and fretless stuff. I've looked around a bit and there seems to be specifically-made acoustic bass strings (roundwound), but see no fretless equivalent. Can I just use regular strings on an acoustic or I need something special?

qball
Aug 1, 2002

You could go and have a bite, and you'd still be hearin' that one.

Handen posted:

On a related note, I just bought a Pignose, which is why I'm in search of tiny effect "pedals." Who else has a Pignose 1-700, and what effects (if any) do you run through it?

I've had a Pignose for a while now but generally I don't use effects with it (maybe a wah). Quite the contrary I like to find ways I can use the amp as an effect. By this I mean having it open, closed, facing a wall, in the bathroom for reverb, as a stereo effect, that type of thing.

The only other time I've used an effect with it has been when I'm playing quietly, late at night I stick my tube screamer in front of it to provide dirt at very low volumes.

Drazzy
Oct 5, 2003

If I had $20 right now, I'd probably put it towards one of my many bills that I have yet to pay.
I just found an old DiMarzio DP119 Class of 55 Pickup in a piece of poo poo guitar I picked up from the pawn shop for $50. I tossed it in the neck position of my MIM Strat and it sounds pretty decent!

I recorded a lovely sample for you to check out. Sorry for the crappy playing.

Los Padre
Mar 26, 2007

Los Padre is an interesting and sensitive fellow.

MononcQc posted:

Are flatwounds good for acoustics? I thought the advantage was relatively specific to pickup based guitars. Not a flatwound player, but figured I'd ask.

LOO
Mar 5, 2004

Los Padre posted:

Are flatwounds good for acoustics? I thought the advantage was relatively specific to pickup based guitars. Not a flatwound player, but figured I'd ask.

To me, brand new flat-wounds on an acoustic sound like 3 month old round-wounds. Dead.

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

As far as I know, it's also a question of not making the neck suffer too much either. I'm far from really knowledgeable at that, though. All I can say is I've seen some guy playing an acoustic fretless with flatwounds on youtube and it sounded pretty good, so I thought there would be no big problems.

Reviews of the bass on various sites also suggest the same thing :shobon:

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

MononcQc posted:

As far as I know, it's also a question of not making the neck suffer too much either. I'm far from really knowledgeable at that, though. All I can say is I've seen some guy playing an acoustic fretless with flatwounds on youtube and it sounded pretty good, so I thought there would be no big problems.

Reviews of the bass on various sites also suggest the same thing :shobon:

Well you could always go with some groundwound strings (roundwounds that have had a grinder taken to them to smooth them out). I use them on my electric for a great smooth tone that still has relatively clear mids/highs.

My personal fav are Ken Smith Slickrounds.

http://www.juststrings.com/kensmithelectricbassguitarslickround.html

Although I'm really not sure how well electric bass strings would do on an acoustic... never messed around much with an acoustic bass v:shobon:v

XYZAB
Jun 29, 2003

HNNNNNGG!!

qball posted:

I've had a Pignose for a while now but generally I don't use effects with it (maybe a wah). Quite the contrary I like to find ways I can use the amp as an effect. By this I mean having it open, closed, facing a wall, in the bathroom for reverb, as a stereo effect, that type of thing.

The only other time I've used an effect with it has been when I'm playing quietly, late at night I stick my tube screamer in front of it to provide dirt at very low volumes.

Ehh, but I'll be taking it to music festivals and playing it on weed man, so I just want a little sort of treble boost mod or pedal for it. I don't wanna have to set it down facing a tree so my drugged up buddies only pick up the high frequencies from dickety-two odd yards away.

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

Well, thanks for the answers.

I went directly to the guys at Michael Kelly and asked the question, to get this short answer:

quote:

Flat wounds are fine and we like rotosounds….

So I guess I'll look into that. I may also compare prices and availability with the groundwounds.

Sorry for the partial derail.

JohnnySmitch
Oct 20, 2004

Don't touch me there - Noone has that right.

jfreder posted:

I have been reading a good number of people saying the same thing so I started pricing some external USB cards, but just wasn't really sure what I was looking for. Have any suggestion?

I personally use a Line6 Toneport - but that would be an overkill for just e-drumming through it. I've heard good things about M-Audio USB soundcards - maybe start there.

qball
Aug 1, 2002

You could go and have a bite, and you'd still be hearin' that one.

Handen posted:

Ehh, but I'll be taking it to music festivals and playing it on weed man, so I just want a little sort of treble boost mod or pedal for it. I don't wanna have to set it down facing a tree so my drugged up buddies only pick up the high frequencies from dickety-two odd yards away.

Are you really going to be concerned with effects at that point? Just plug it in and turn it up.

Not sure about a treble booster, though I do have one in the mail so I'll be trying it out in a couple of days. Definitely sounds better with single coils though.

Alfa Tard
Sep 30, 2002

Stoopid Noobie

I want one!

WEIRD BEER
Feb 26, 2005

I scored this beauty off craigslist yesterday. It's a 67 Eko Violin Bass. It's supposed to be pretty comparable to the the Hofners of the time and quite a few artists used them back in the day (The Beach Boys, The Doors). It sounds amazing and thumpy and it's drat sexy as well.

dr cum patrol esq
Sep 3, 2003

A C A B

:350:

acousticbandit posted:

quite a few artists used them back in the day (The Beach Boys, The Doors).

:colbert: the Doors didn't have a bass player, that was part of their charm. :v:

But seriously, nice bass. That's why Craigslist is awesome.

Drazzy
Oct 5, 2003

If I had $20 right now, I'd probably put it towards one of my many bills that I have yet to pay.
Pardon my ignorance, but what is that THING on the headstock?

ZombiePeanut
May 11, 2007

by Fistgrrl

renraku posted:

:colbert: the Doors didn't have a bass player, that was part of their charm. :v:

Welp, I got beat on that one.

But yeah, the Doors' keyboardist played the basslines with foot pedals.

quote:

Pardon my ignorance, but what is that THING on the headstock?

Pandora's box.

WEIRD BEER
Feb 26, 2005

renraku posted:

But seriously, nice bass. That's why Craigslist is awesome.

They had one for studio recordings. So technically he's not in the band, but Doug Lubahn played one of the Eko basses for the songs he did with the doors.

But yeah, Craigslist is indeed awesome:)

The headstock looks weird because it used to have a circular "E" logo that got lost sometime before i got it. I think i might use it for a picture frame.

dr cum patrol esq
Sep 3, 2003

A C A B

:350:

acousticbandit posted:

They had one for studio recordings.

That's where this :v: came in. I was being sarcastic.

XYZAB
Jun 29, 2003

HNNNNNGG!!
I found some cool pictures I'm gonna post after looking through Ikebe Gakki's awesome catalogue.

That Guitar Of The Month Diablo SG.

Gibson Robot SG. Obviously expensive as hell because the price is listed as $ASK.

Gibson CUSTOM SHOP INSPIRED BY Series Johnny A Standard. Nice.

Gibson Vegas Standard. Very cool look, compared to the ones that are semi-hollow, this one seems to be solid body, but upon further investigation, isn't.

After 43 pages of Gibson guitars I still can't find an SG Jr for a reasonable price. :argh:

stoopidmunkey
May 21, 2005

yep

Handen posted:

Gibson Robot SG. Obviously expensive as hell because the price is listed as $ASK.

Musician's friend has the price as $2,299.00 and claim a list of $3,599.00

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Gibson-ROBOT-SG-Special-Electric-Guitar?sku=518685

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

Handen posted:

Gibson Vegas Standard. Very cool look, compared to the ones that are semi-hollow, this one seems to be solid body, but upon further investigation, isn't.

After 43 pages of Gibson guitars I still can't find an SG Jr for a reasonable price. :argh:

Huh... the headstock on the Vegas just looks odd. That kind of body lends itself more to a 3+3 imo.

XYZAB
Jun 29, 2003

HNNNNNGG!!

ashlandpunk83 posted:

Musician's friend has the price as $2,299.00 and claim a list of $3,599.00

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Gibson-ROBOT-SG-Special-Electric-Guitar?sku=518685

Hmm, not bad, considering they've got some $8000 Les Pauls and other assorted higher priced guitars. And I wasn't sure the Robot SG was even out yet.

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Listen, Mr. Kansas Law Dog.
Law don't go around here.
Savvy?
edit: whoops, read "SG Jr" as "LP Jr"

Zakalwe
May 12, 2002

Wanted For:
  • Terrorism
  • Kidnapping
  • Poor Taste
  • Unlawful Carnal Gopher Knowledge

Handen posted:

gently caress me, that's horrible.

Manager
Oct 19, 2007

I love how i can make the transformers transforming noise with this thing

stoopidmunkey
May 21, 2005

yep

Zakalwe posted:

gently caress me, that's horrible.

It's an ugly color, but you gotta admit that it's pretty drat cool that it tunes itself and has a built-in intonation function that tells you how many turns to turn the wheels on the bridge.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ajegwu
Mar 6, 2002

ashlandpunk83 posted:

It's an ugly color, but you gotta admit that it's pretty drat cool that it tunes itself and has a built-in intonation function that tells you how many turns to turn the wheels on the bridge.

The robot Les Paul automatically adjusts the intonation and can do alternate tunings also.

I just got the Marshall half stack today. The cab is stock, the head got the Voodoo Amps delux mod about 8 months ago. Got the wah yesterday. The PRS is from July, and the Bad Monkey pedal came with it for free.

Only registered members can see post attachments!