Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Engine Fortegue
Feb 1, 2004

strap me down they must sedate me

poke me prod me irritate me

Lets Stay Friends posted:

I love how i can make the transformers transforming noise with this thing

Clips please!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

ajegwu posted:

The robot Les Paul automatically adjusts the intonation and can do alternate tunings also.

No it merely guides you in adjusting intonation adjustments. The only thing it'll do automatically is turn the tuning heads.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

Engine Fortegue posted:

Clips please!

Ditto, if we don't hear it, we don't believe it.

Zakalwe
May 12, 2002

Wanted For:
  • Terrorism
  • Kidnapping
  • Poor Taste
  • Unlawful Carnal Gopher Knowledge

ashlandpunk83 posted:

It's an ugly color, but you gotta admit that it's pretty drat cool that it tunes itself and has a built-in intonation function that tells you how many turns to turn the wheels on the bridge.

Meh, I just use different guitars for different tunings and a TU2 if my locking tuners for some reason let me down. Currently the Mexi-Strat is Eb, the Vintage Jap Strat E and the Agile AL3000, C open (Started learning some Devin Townsend today ;) )

Three lovely guitars for less than the price of one robot guitar and as we all know, move guitars = better.

Susano-maku da!
Nov 12, 2003

Hi. Did you order the Mongolian… Beef?

Zakalwe posted:

Meh, I just use different guitars for different tunings and a TU2 if my locking tuners for some reason let me down. Currently the Mexi-Strat is Eb, the Vintage Jap Strat E and the Agile AL3000, C open (Started learning some Devin Townsend today ;) )

Three lovely guitars for less than the price of one robot guitar and as we all know, move guitars = better.

Revvik
Jul 29, 2006
Fun Shoe

ashlandpunk83 posted:

It's an ugly color, but you gotta admit that it's pretty drat cool that it tunes itself and has a built-in intonation function that tells you how many turns to turn the wheels on the bridge.

The body color is the only thing I like about it.

Darth Fungus
Mar 12, 2007
Sausage Smoker

Revvik posted:

The body color is the only thing I like about it.

Grape Drink SG

Revvik
Jul 29, 2006
Fun Shoe
That is the same color as the walls to my bedroom and my favorite shirt. If they made a model that color that didn't have the robotic nonsense and cost under $1,000 I would love one, but as long as I can save several grand by manually tuning my guitar there is no reason.

Also I have no need to change tunings on the fly.

11 guitars Susano? I'm working my way there with four, but hell I find myself needing to get rid of the ones I don't use.

Stabbing Spork
Apr 9, 2006

Revvik posted:

That is the same color as the walls to my bedroom and my favorite shirt. If they made a model that color that didn't have the robotic nonsense and cost under $1,000 I would love one, but as long as I can save several grand by manually tuning my guitar there is no reason.

Also I have no need to change tunings on the fly.

11 guitars Susano? I'm working my way there with four, but hell I find myself needing to get rid of the ones I don't use.

I think you missed the joke with the picture he posted.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Susano-maku da! posted:

I love looking through Sonic Youth's gear page. There are so many weird flea market guitars in their catalogue.

Being their tour guitar tech would be fun.

I just got my first bass today!

She's a cream SX Jazz and and cheap as gently caress, but I love her so far :)

even though I dinged her on the side of a table within 20 minutes on bringing her home :(

playing bass is fun as hell after years of guitar

Zisky
May 6, 2003

PM me and I will show you my tits
My first midi keyboard is on the way, and I'm pretty excited.

I opted for something that could slide easily into my backpack. Hopefully its as good as the reviews say.

Zisky fucked around with this message at 18:01 on Apr 4, 2008

Uncle Caveman
Jun 16, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

LOO posted:

To me, brand new flat-wounds on an acoustic sound like 3 month old round-wounds. Dead.
What brands have you tried? At first, I bought some D'Addario & Ernie Ball flats 'cause they were cheap, just to see if I'd like them.

I hated them. They nearly put me off flats for good. Just as you described, "dead like 3 month old rounds."

Then I tried a friend's Gretsch with some Pyramid flats... there's a reason they go for ~$50 a set: Because they're not horrible. I've had a set of Pyramids on my Jazzmaster for about a year and they still sound fantastic. I put some TI's on my Club bass & Jazz bass, too. Awesome.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight
Ok I've officially acquired Allen Woody syndrome

[example of this disease, a small portion of Woody's 430+ bass collection]

In addition to wanting a Modulus Q5, an Epiphone Jack Casady, a Lakland Hollowbody w/ Darkstars... I now want a Gibson EB-3L.

Uncle Caveman
Jun 16, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

3toes posted:

I now want a Gibson EB-3L.
Epiphone's set-neck EB-3 is 34" scale, and has the Vari-Tone control.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

Uncle Caveman posted:

Yeah, I've been looking at it... No clue as to its reliability or quality as a gigging instrument though.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

Uncle Caveman posted:

Sorry for the derail/double-post... but do you know if it's actual Vari-Tone or just a pickup selector?

EDIT: Upon further research... it's just a pickup selector :(

Scarf fucked around with this message at 18:12 on Apr 4, 2008

QuantumKat
Jul 16, 2004

Member of the Catspiracy

ECTO-1 posted:

I love looking through Sonic Youth's gear page. There are so many weird flea market guitars in their catalogue.

Being their tour guitar tech would be fun.

I just got my first bass today!

She's a cream SX Jazz and and cheap as gently caress, but I love her so far :)

even though I dinged her on the side of a table within 20 minutes on bringing her home :(

playing bass is fun as hell after years of guitar

Yeah I've been meaning to buy a bass as well, considering I play guitar I figure it won't be much of an adjustment. The only thing I'd need to learn is tuning. How much was this bass?

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

QuantumKat posted:

Yeah I've been meaning to buy a bass as well, considering I play guitar I figure it won't be much of an adjustment.

You'd be surprised. You're moving from a melody driven instrument to a rhythmically driven instrument.

Darth Fungus
Mar 12, 2007
Sausage Smoker
I thought the same thing about the bass, until I played one in a guitar shop. It's a whole different instrument. The tuning is essentially the same as a guitar, and its roughly the same shape. That's about where the similarities end.

Also if you think guitar hurts your fingers :rolleyes:

Juaguocio
Jun 5, 2005

Oh, David...
Amen. I just moved over to playing bass a couple months ago. I figured, "oh, this will be easy, it's like a guitar with two fewer strings."

Not so much.

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Listen, Mr. Kansas Law Dog.
Law don't go around here.
Savvy?

Mighty Scoop posted:

Amen. I just moved over to playing bass a couple months ago. I figured, "oh, this will be easy, it's like a guitar with two fewer strings."

Not so much.
Fourthing the sentiment. The right hand technique is all different and, actually, the entire philosophy behind how you play it is different. Need to change my mindset to pick up my bass.

Mike N Eich
Jan 27, 2007

This might just be the year

3toes posted:

You'd be surprised. You're moving from a melody driven instrument to a rhythmically driven instrument.

I remember in a thread when you said you should go with the philosophy that a bass is a "drum set with 96 (or however many) toms." Probably the best advice about bass you can really say.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

Mike N Eich posted:

I remember in a thread when you said you should go with the philosophy that a bass is a "drum set with 96 (or however many) toms." Probably the best advice about bass you can really say.

Haha yeah pretty much. Although I've kind of reworked that theory. Now I think of the root note as my kick, the octave (and sometimes the 5ths/etc) as the snare. And the melodic fills as toms/crashes.

Shatwag
Jan 26, 2003

Laura Croft who?

Got this as a little Christmas present to myself which makes it my most recent gear purchase. It's a Vaccaro Astrolite for anyone interested. I had been casually checking eBay for Vaccaro guitars for about a year so I kind of bought it on a whim having never even seen a really decent picture of one. I don't recall playing on a neck that I like better than this one. It sounds great too with some P-90 type pickups in it. The bridge isn't original (which I knew before I bought it) and I had to have the saddles re-cut because the strings were sitting slightly crooked. The serial number is "0600" which is sort of cool. Overall I love it.

vac
Jul 10, 2005
:o
What a coincidence, I was going over Vaccaro's site earlier today! I can't say I'm as much of a fan of their others models as I am of the Astrolite but I really do love it. Congratulations on a way cool buy.

cylyk
Feb 3, 2006
T_T
I don't have pictures, but I am waiting on a high nut for slide playing, a glass slide, and a 4-way switch for my telecaster to arrive

by the way, how do I learn to be good at playing slide?

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

cylyk posted:

I don't have pictures, but I am waiting on a high nut for slide playing, a glass slide, and a 4-way switch for my telecaster to arrive

You have to have really good feel. It's really vague but that's the only way I can describe it to people when they ask me about it. You have to realize that with a slide there are several ways to get to a note and sound it with slurring up, slurring down, etc...

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

QuantumKat posted:

Yeah I've been meaning to buy a bass as well, considering I play guitar I figure it won't be much of an adjustment. The only thing I'd need to learn is tuning. How much was this bass?

got mine for NZ$399, but thats probably inflated for shipping to New Zealand stores.
the reviewers on harmony-central all seem to get theirs at around US$130 new http://reviews.harmony-central.com/reviews/Electric+Bass/product/SX/Jazz+Bass/10/1

flummox
Jul 17, 2004
I want a shoehorn, the kind with teeth.

Shatwag posted:

Got this as a little Christmas present to myself which makes it my most recent gear purchase. It's a Vaccaro Astrolite for anyone interested. I had been casually checking eBay for Vaccaro guitars for about a year so I kind of bought it on a whim having never even seen a really decent picture of one. I don't recall playing on a neck that I like better than this one. It sounds great too with some P-90 type pickups in it. The bridge isn't original (which I knew before I bought it) and I had to have the saddles re-cut because the strings were sitting slightly crooked. The serial number is "0600" which is sort of cool. Overall I love it.
Goddammit, I've been looking for one of those for years.

The Book I Read
Jan 15, 2008
Have to sing about it.

cylyk posted:

I've probably just hosed up putting it on, but the high nut I got yesterday only allows half of my strings to be in tune at a time. Want the bass strings in tune? Well okay, but it'll shift the whole drat thing and pull the top three out of tune.

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Listen, Mr. Kansas Law Dog.
Law don't go around here.
Savvy?

The Book I Read posted:

I've probably just hosed up putting it on, but the high nut I got yesterday only allows half of my strings to be in tune at a time. Want the bass strings in tune? Well okay, but it'll shift the whole drat thing and pull the top three out of tune.
Are the strings sticking in the nut? Is there sometimes a "ping" sound when you turn a tuner? If so, take some graphite (pencil lead) and rub it into the openings of the nut and try again. You may need to widen the grooves, though.

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

The price of meat has just gone up, and your old lady has just gone down

The Book I Read posted:

When you say "shift the whole drat thing and pull the top three out of tune," do you mean to say that it isn't actually secured to the neck?

Zakalwe
May 12, 2002

Wanted For:
  • Terrorism
  • Kidnapping
  • Poor Taste

Agreed posted:

When you say "shift the whole drat thing and pull the top three out of tune," do you mean to say that it isn't actually secured to the neck?

He probably means a slide extension nut like this thing here.

http://www.harmony-central.com/articles/tips/instant_slide_guitar_setup_tech/

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

The price of meat has just gone up, and your old lady has just gone down

Is that usually just called a "high nut?" I'm sorry, I'm totally clueless about slide (except that I like how it sounds). Do they usually have problems staying in tune?

Zakalwe
May 12, 2002

Wanted For:
  • Terrorism
  • Kidnapping
  • Poor Taste

Agreed posted:

Is that usually just called a "high nut?" I'm sorry, I'm totally clueless about slide (except that I like how it sounds). Do they usually have problems staying in tune?

I'm pretty much on the same level as you. Only ever seen one of these in a video. No idea how well they perform.

Darth Fungus
Mar 12, 2007
Sausage Smoker
My 12 string acoustic has the coolest thing ever. Adjustable bridge height. Its got these two big screws on either side of the bridge that you can turn with just a guitar pick, and you can adjust the action from nice and low for fretting to really high for slide playing. I've never seen this on any other guitar, anyone ever see something like this?

ForbiddenWonder
Feb 15, 2003

Uh my $200 SX electric has that I believe!

Pyrthas
Jan 22, 2007

Darth Fungus posted:

I've never seen this on any other guitar, anyone ever see something like this?
Lots of electrics are like that, but it's also traditional on archtops (and it's been carried over to hollow-body and semi-hollow electrics).

Darth Fungus
Mar 12, 2007
Sausage Smoker
Yes, I know this is really common on electric guitars and archtops. But I've never seen it on an acoustic with a fixed bridge. At least, I've seen it only once.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

My 12 string acoustic has height adjusters on the saddle too.
It is a cheapy Japanese made one that I picked up at a thrift store.