Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Darth Fungus
Mar 12, 2007
Sausage Smoker

Thumposaurus posted:

My 12 string acoustic has height adjusters on the saddle too.
It is a cheapy Japanese made one that I picked up at a thrift store.

It's not a Westminster is it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Valtaherra
Feb 23, 2007

It's a personal pineapple

MononcQc posted:

I've looked forever for one of these that'd ship to my region.

Michael Kelly Dragonfly III, acoustic, 5 strings, left handed, fretless.

Finding an acoustic bass is not exactly easy, much less fretless, much less with 5 strings, much less left handed. I can't wait to try it.

EDIT: It's coming with roundwound strings, so I'll want to change them for flatwounds. Anyone got good infos on what to buy?

Another lefty, sweet! Where did you buy this instrument and how much did you pay? If you don't mind my asking, of course. Finding quality left-handed instruments, as you well know, is tough.

juicy_J
Jun 25, 2004
I.O.U. one gmail invite

Darth Fungus posted:

My 12 string acoustic has the coolest thing ever. Adjustable bridge height. Its got these two big screws on either side of the bridge that you can turn with just a guitar pick, and you can adjust the action from nice and low for fretting to really high for slide playing. I've never seen this on any other guitar, anyone ever see something like this?

Adjustable acoustic bridges are really common on older cheap guitars. Although handy, they absolutely destroy your tone.

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

Valtaherra posted:

Another lefty, sweet! Where did you buy this instrument and how much did you pay? If you don't mind my asking, of course. Finding quality left-handed instruments, as you well know, is tough.

drat if I know it's hard to find lefty basses. I couldn't find it anywhere close in Quebec, and there are very few dealer still holding limited editions like that (and even online, zzsounds doesn't have them anymore).

I went around websites, and none would ship where I am (especially hard to find the lefty model). ebay didn't give anything for weeks, so I kind of just gave up getting it.

Last week I tried ebay again, and grand central music had 2 in stock, so I just bought it. It's still not shipping at the moment (some paypal [ugh] delays), but it should be coming this week, and after being stuck a bunch of days at the customs, will arrive in a few weeks.

I asked for a hard case to come with it, and with the bass, case and shipping, it's gonna cost me $720.00 US. $600 for the bass, $79 for the case, and $40 for the shipping.

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

Darth Fungus posted:

It's not a Westminster is it?

Nope it is a Nagoya, when I first got it I looked around for info on them and could find no mention of such a company even existing.

The main bridge plate has a crack in it so I may be making a new one soon, when I do I will probably eliminate the adjustable saddle.

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

Because all fucking hell is going to break loose

My new Fender Powerhouse Strat in Metallic Caramel. This is one of the hottest looking strats I've ever seen. It's a MiM, but comes with noiseless active pickups, and a 12db boost. With that boost it's got the most balls I've ever heard in a strat with singles.

Here's a more closeup shot to see the metallic flakes. Looks awesome in person.

an AOL chatroom
Oct 3, 2002

ColonelJohnMatrix posted:

My new Fender Powerhouse Strat in Metallic Caramel. This is one of the hottest looking strats I've ever seen. It's a MiM, but comes with noiseless active pickups, and a 12db boost. With that boost it's got the most balls I've ever heard in a strat with singles.

That looks awesome. Love the color, and I bet it sounds like a beast.

Darth Fungus
Mar 12, 2007
Sausage Smoker

juicy_J posted:

Adjustable acoustic bridges are really common on older cheap guitars. Although handy, they absolutely destroy your tone.

Haha yes the guitar sounds like rear end

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

ColonelJohnMatrix posted:

Could you take a picture of the back? I'm curious to see where the battery compartment is.

qball
Aug 1, 2002

You could go and have a bite, and you'd still be hearin' that one.

Minto Took posted:

Could you take a picture of the back? I'm curious to see where the battery compartment is.

If it's anything like my Strat with the Clapton 25 dB Mid Boost it won't look any different. There's an extra cut-out behind the back-plate where the battery fits snugly.

qball
Aug 1, 2002

AnalogMan Beano boost. It's weird going from the mid heavy Tube Screamer boost to a Treble Boost, still dialling it in but I love the sound.

Custom AB/Loop/Tuner Mute box
This is an awesome addition to my setup, being able to pull the whole effects loop out of the equation if I want is really handy. Really nice little box.

cylyk
Feb 3, 2006
T_T
so I got my nut adapter thing for up the action, but the thing has string spacing way wider than the nuts on any of my guitars. The two outer strings are suspended like out where there is no fretboard, so maybe I should just throw it in the garbage or play slide only with no fingering at all

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer
I need to preface this post with the disclaimer as follows: I am not a knowledgeable acoustic guy. I play electric. I posted the thread about micro-amps and the next day I came home with... a Breedlove AD20/SM dreadnought acoustic. I just fell in love with it and paid full price, $599.99 at Guitar Center. It's not my first acoustic, exactly, but it's the first one I chose and purchased for myself.

It's simple, it plays great, I love the way it sounds, in fact I love everything about it except for the pinless bridge-through design which had me pulling my hair out restringing it. I am afraid the ball-end of the low E is now compression-welded into the bridge and I will never get it out without professional help. I'm hoping I will develop a strategy for dealing with the bridge, because everything else about this guitar really turns me on. I put Martin Marquis lights, .012"-.054".

Atlas Series AD20/SM is Korean-made. Solid Spitka-Spruce top, Mahogany back and sides, tortoise binding, abalone dot markers, abalone rosette with black border, gold Grover tuners. Stout gig bag. No built-in electronics.

Pictures are all rather large:
The gig bag.
In the bag.
Well, hi there!
3/4 Profile.
The back.
The Rosette.
Frets.
Headstock.
Together with my (Grandad's)1932 Martin OM-18.
I just found out today, that my Dad and Grand-dad have officially handed the Martin down to me. My Grandfather played the club scene in St. Louis and he bought this guitar new in St. Louis from a family friend: Mel Bay. It's not original anymore because my Dad, thinking he was doing a good thing, had the instrument refinished and the bridge shaved down back in the 60's. D'oh. But it's a family heirloom and not an investment, and it's been played. A lot. It sounds awesome but it's brutal on the hands. The Breedlove is a joy.

The Book I Read
Jan 15, 2008
Have to sing about it.

cylyk posted:

so I got my nut adapter thing for up the action, but the thing has string spacing way wider than the nuts on any of my guitars. The two outer strings are suspended like out where there is no fretboard, so maybe I should just throw it in the garbage or play slide only with no fingering at all

It's the same on mine. I'm chucking it out and just raising the action on my spare guitar in the next few days.

JohnnySmitch
Oct 20, 2004

Don't touch me there - Noone has that right.

Dr. Faustus posted:

Atlas Series AD20/SM is Korean-made. Solid Spitka-Spruce top, Mahogany back and sides, tortoise binding, abalone dot markers, abalone rosette with black border, gold Grover tuners. Stout gig bag. No built-in electronics.

Hi there, Breedlove buddy. I recently got an AD20/SM plus as an engagement present from my fiance, and I love it. A trick I use when changing strings is to keep the ball-end of one of middle strings with all but about 2" or so of the string cut off, and use that as a poker to get the old string ends out of the bridge. It's a little bit of a pain, but I never really liked using bridge pins, either.

kaptainkaffeine
Apr 1, 2003

Drug Free Since: Lunch

Yay! I freaked out yesterday when a failed OS update made the thing a brick, but I got it to take eventually and man it's rad.

Dragon Eye Morrison
May 6, 2007

Boston's "More Than A Feeling" is the world's greatest song

Dr. Faustus posted:

I am afraid the ball-end of the low E is now compression-welded into the bridge and I will never get it out without professional help. I'm hoping I will develop a strategy for dealing with the bridge, because everything else about this guitar really turns me on.

Keep a paper clip in the accessory compartment of your case/bag. It's useful for removing stubborn ball ends from channels of pretty much anything.

qball
Aug 1, 2002

This just arrived, I can't wait to get home and try it out.

Option 5 Destination Rotation Single, Vibratone/Leslie 120 simulator.

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe

kaptainkaffeine posted:

Yay! I freaked out yesterday when a failed OS update made the thing a brick, but I got it to take eventually and man it's rad.

YAHOO GROUPS > ION > RE: BUFFER SIZES

Jeez, why'd Alesis have to make it so hard to do that :(.

Anyway, congrats. I sold mine yesterday, it has to pay for the piano. Make sure you get a nice little 1U effects box (protip: TC M300) because with some reverb the sounds really shine.

Check http://theheartcore.com/ion.html for some Ion demos of mine :).

Schatten
Jul 7, 2002

Das ist nicht meine
schnellen Rennwagen

3toes posted:

Ok I've officially acquired Allen Woody syndrome

[example of this disease, a small portion of Woody's 430+ bass collection]
I must say, I sold a bunch of basses last year to stop collecting and stop buying more more more, but... it happened again. Yes... again. Ugh.

Honestly, I gotta stop the madness! (or do I just need more space to put these things?)

Sorry for the teaser picture. Just came in yesterday and need to take pictures in daylight to get the best effect. The *ahem* item is in the case which is on top of my other case.

TastyShrimpPlatter
Dec 18, 2006

It's me, I'm the
I got this for my birthday today. I've got no idea how to play keyboard, but I got it hooked up with Reason and I've been playing around with it. I need to figure out how to custom assign the knobs and sliders for the different synths, cause the preset settings suck.

kaptainkaffeine
Apr 1, 2003

Drug Free Since: Lunch

Yoozer posted:

YAHOO GROUPS > ION > RE: BUFFER SIZES

Jeez, why'd Alesis have to make it so hard to do that :(.

Anyway, congrats. I sold mine yesterday, it has to pay for the piano. Make sure you get a nice little 1U effects box (protip: TC M300) because with some reverb the sounds really shine.

Check http://theheartcore.com/ion.html for some Ion demos of mine :).

Holy poo poo, seriously. It didn't help that NONE of the settings anywhere in the yahoo group or elsewhere on the internet worked with my midi interface, so it was trial and error while I cried about how it was never going to work again. :D I've got a digidelay that I'm going to throw after it, but a muiltieffects with reverb especially would be nice.

Run Dodo Run
Oct 7, 2006

MrSamurai posted:

I got this for my birthday today. I've got no idea how to play keyboard, but I got it hooked up with Reason and I've been playing around with it. I need to figure out how to custom assign the knobs and sliders for the different synths, cause the preset settings suck.

Axioms are great :)

I believe to set the knobs to stuff in Reason, you right click the control and hit "Midi Learn" then twiddle the thing you want to assign it too. I think. It'll be something to do with MIDI Learn.

TastyShrimpPlatter
Dec 18, 2006

It's me, I'm the
drat, sounds simple. I'll have to try when I get home. I'll also have to try to get my new TD-12 set up with Reason too...

Run Dodo Run
Oct 7, 2006

MrSamurai posted:

drat, sounds simple. I'll have to try when I get home. I'll also have to try to get my new TD-12 set up with Reason too...

I just checked: It's right click then "Edit Remote Override Mapping". I can't test it because I don't have a MIDI controller on me, but I have been assured that that is correct.

That's a nice kit too; I'm presuming the acoustic drums have triggers in them?

TastyShrimpPlatter
Dec 18, 2006

It's me, I'm the
The snare does, but the tom doesn't yet. I'm hoping I can find two more toms and a kick with matching finishes. There's a seller on ebay that has stuff that matches and sells it really cheap, but I got outbid on the kick, so I'm not sure what I'm going to do if they don't have another one. Once I get some time, I'll be putting in triggers using this set up

PoorPeteBest
Oct 13, 2005

We're not hitchhiking anymore! We're riding!
My wife got me this sexy beast for my birthday:

I am loving the hell out of it. It's somewhere between a Fender and an AC-30 but I can get similar tones from both with the interactive/independent EQ switch. A loving tank at 70lbs though. Woo!

fappenmeister
Nov 19, 2004

My hand wields the might

I just ordered one of these

An Edwards (by ESP) John Sykes LP.

It will arrive in May. :(

Drazzy
Oct 5, 2003

If I had $20 right now, I'd probably put it towards one of my many bills that I have yet to pay.

keratas posted:

I just ordered one of these

An Edwards (by ESP) John Sykes LP.

It will arrive in May. :(

Holy poo poo that's gorgeous. How much does something like that cost?

fappenmeister
Nov 19, 2004

My hand wields the might

Drazzy posted:

Holy poo poo that's gorgeous. How much does something like that cost?

It cost 73600 yen, which was just over $750 Australian, and another 12000 yen for shipping. The Gibson signature model costs a ton more but it's a good compromise in quality/price from what I've heard.

Animaestro
Apr 10, 2008

...nvm

Animaestro fucked around with this message at 06:43 on Sep 6, 2009

Spartak
May 12, 2007
what matters most is how well you walk through the fire
'sup

1982 Ibanez Musician

My guitar quest is over for now.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight
Wow. If that thing plays as good as it looks, holy poo poo. And it should be noted that I HATE gold hardware... For that guitar, I'd make an exception.

Reminds me of an Alembic.

Gramps
Dec 30, 2006

Spartak posted:

'sup

1982 Ibanez Musician

My guitar quest is over for now.

You lucky bastard. Enjoy her- those are pretty special.

Dragon Eye Morrison
May 6, 2007

keratas posted:

It cost 73600 yen, which was just over $750 Australian, and another 12000 yen for shipping. The Gibson signature model costs a ton more but it's a good compromise in quality/price from what I've heard.

You'll be loving stoked. I'd choose an Edwards over a Gibson, personally, though there is a bit of bias there due to past experiences with Gibson.

Sucks that you have to wait that long, though. :(

Anyways, on topic, I recently purchased a Killer Starrion:

I loving love it. The sound is the exact opposite of my primary instrument, my Parker Fly Mojo. The Fly Mojo is deep and dark and buttery, this thing is a loving shrieking, howling beast, and I love it. I now need to buy more Killers. Too bad they're not sold in the US :(

dr cum patrol esq
Sep 3, 2003

A C A B

:350:

Dragon Eye Morrison posted:

You'll be loving stoked. I'd choose an Edwards over a Gibson, personally, though there is a bit of bias there due to past experiences with Gibson.

Sucks that you have to wait that long, though. :(

Anyways, on topic, I recently purchased a Killer Starrion:

I loving love it. The sound is the exact opposite of my primary instrument, my Parker Fly Mojo. The Fly Mojo is deep and dark and buttery, this thing is a loving shrieking, howling beast, and I love it. I now need to buy more Killers. Too bad they're not sold in the US :(

Are those autographs on it?

Dragon Eye Morrison
May 6, 2007

renraku posted:

Are those autographs on it?

Yeah, it's signed by Loudness. The guitarist, Akira Takasaki, was the co-creator of this Killer design. I actually think I got it cheaper because it's autographed, because nobody REALLY wants a guitar signed by Loudness. At least, not in the States. It has a poly finish, though, so if I ever wish to do such a thing, it's really easy to remove the signatures. I'm still planning on preserving the autographs using .005" clear adhesive pickguard material, though, just for shits and giggles.

Engine Fortegue
Feb 1, 2004

strap me down they must sedate me

poke me prod me irritate me

Loudness is loving awesome just for everyone's information.

The Book I Read
Jan 15, 2008
Have to sing about it.

Dragon Eye Morrison posted:

Loudness

They're also apparently Japan's Iron Maiden.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

As an update.

Three Red Lights posted:

Bought my Telecaster, hate it.

I fuckin love this guitar now. I replaced the bridge pickup with a hot rail and on te advice of the tech the tone pot with a push/pull pot for coil splitting. The hot rail signal also bleeds through slightly when on the neck pickup, making it suddenly great for rock, tele like with the pot pulled out and mellow and bluesy with just the neck pickup.