Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Juriko
Jan 28, 2006

Crackbone posted:

I doubt you'd find a niche port plate like that, since usb adaptors are far easier to use/buy.

You should really consider an Xbox 360 controller (wired or wireless) if you're using windows.

This is my recommendation as well. I mounted my wireless receiver in the inside-front of my case and it is nice to just be able to use the 360 controllers to the point I wish I could get some sore of receiver to do the same thing on the ps2. I would love to have 1 set of wireless controls for all my gaming.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

soj89
Dec 5, 2005

Kids in China are playing tag with knives, on playgrounds constructed of spinning razorblades and spike traps, because it will make them stronger.
hey guys, I'm sorry I don't have search so if you could point me in the right direction for this.

Im running a 4200+ with 1 gig of DDR2 667 and an on-board ATI X1250 (hdmi-out) outputting at 1080p to a Samsung DLP (HLT5687).

I used to run it on an ATI X1950 (dvi->hdmi) discrete card but it was too noisy and I ended pulling it out.

I'm running Vista Media Center under Vista Ultimate.

I have a couple of problems so far:

1) 1080p playback - It's choppy. Can my system handle 1080p playback or is it just not beefy enough to do it? It was worse when I was using the original version of the Vista Codec Pack. I changed it to the newest version I found (4.6.2) but playback of video and audio become unsynced after a few seconds. I thought it was because I was playing the file over a gigabyte network, but the choppiness persisted even after I copied the file to play locally (not launching :files: discussion but it is an x264 encoded video). 720p material plays back fine.

2) HDMI audio fucks up upon resume - I set Vista up to use hybrid sleep and prefer to have the computer go into standby rather than shut down whenever I'm done. However, upon resume the default audio device switches back to the "audio out" jack when I've previously set it to the hdmi device. Any ideas on this one?

3)Media Center freezes on resume - upon resuming, media center responds slowly or refuses to respond. I can move up/down/left/right in the main menu (choosing the different options) however, when I press "ok" on the remote or click on an item with a mouse, it'll just bounce in acknolwedgement but do nothing. I have 3 network shares mapped to "resume on reconnection" - could this have anything to do with this problem?

4) Media center seems to rebuild thumbnails in my Video gallery every time I open it up - why is it doing this?

Your insight is appreciated!

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!

Juriko posted:

This is my recommendation as well. I mounted my wireless receiver in the inside-front of my case and it is nice to just be able to use the 360 controllers to the point I wish I could get some sore of receiver to do the same thing on the ps2. I would love to have 1 set of wireless controls for all my gaming.

Is there a difference between the regular xbox 360 controller and the ones labeled as being for windows, or would I be able to use my 360 controller in windows just by buying the USB dongle?

.Nathan.
Jun 29, 2004

by Fistgrrl

soj89 posted:

1) 1080p playback - It's choppy. Can my system handle 1080p playback or is it just not beefy enough to do it? It was worse when I was using the original version of the Vista Codec Pack. I changed it to the newest version I found (4.6.2) but playback of video and audio become unsynced after a few seconds. I thought it was because I was playing the file over a gigabyte network, but the choppiness persisted even after I copied the file to play locally (not launching :files: discussion but it is an x264 encoded video). 720p material plays back fine.

2) HDMI audio fucks up upon resume - I set Vista up to use hybrid sleep and prefer to have the computer go into standby rather than shut down whenever I'm done. However, upon resume the default audio device switches back to the "audio out" jack when I've previously set it to the hdmi device. Any ideas on this one?

1. Get rid of all codecs you have now and try using just AC3Filter+CoreAVC+Haali for the x264 stuff. If it won't play smoothly with those codecs then it won't at all.

2. Try setting the default sound device in the BIOS.

Can't help with 3 or 4 since i don't use MCE as my front end.

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

Vykk.Draygo posted:

Is there a difference between the regular xbox 360 controller and the ones labeled as being for windows, or would I be able to use my 360 controller in windows just by buying the USB dongle?

They're completely identical, and yes, buying the dongle will make it work.

soj89
Dec 5, 2005

Kids in China are playing tag with knives, on playgrounds constructed of spinning razorblades and spike traps, because it will make them stronger.

.Nathan. posted:

1. Get rid of all codecs you have now and try using just AC3Filter+CoreAVC+Haali for the x264 stuff. If it won't play smoothly with those codecs then it won't at all.

2. Try setting the default sound device in the BIOS.

Can't help with 3 or 4 since i don't use MCE as my front end.

thanks. coreavc works like a charm.

there's no BIOS setting that defaults to HDMI sound only on my board. anyone else have a solution?

.Nathan.
Jun 29, 2004

by Fistgrrl

soj89 posted:

there's no BIOS setting that defaults to HDMI sound only on my board. anyone else have a solution?

Oops, yeah, for some reason i was picturing you using HDMI with a video card in which case it's sometimes necessary to set it in the BIOS. I do have a solution though maybe:
A high definition audio device may no longer work after you resume Windows Vista from hibernation or from sleep
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/937077

iostream.h
Mar 14, 2006
I want your happy place to slap you as it flies by.

This thread has been a great source of information, thanks guys.

I'm upgrading from my XBMC to a proper HTPC (purchased a 57" DLP 1080p TV recently)and I would appreciate a quick critique.

I'm (temporarily) using a generic micro-ATX case which will be replaced by a proper HTPC component case soon.

CPU is to be a C2D E6750 at 2.66Ghz (I'm not planning on overclocking)
4GB DDR2
Asus P5GC-MX/1333 mobo.
The GPU will likely be an offering from nVidia as I understand they're the only manufacturer offering true h264 decoding right now.

I'll also be playing games on this from time to time and I don't want to go crazy with this box. I want a simple, stable all-in-one system that I don't have to constantly dick around with. (I'm building a new workstation that's to be my 'play' machine.)

I'm pondering my disk options as I have a fairly robust server running on a gigabit network but I'm not sure if that would be sufficient to stream 1080p videos without some issues (plus, my server is IDE not SATA). I don't mind stuffing the new box full of drives (they're so cheap now) but if I don't NEED to why should I?

My desire is to stream video to my display, serve my MP3 collection and that's honestly about it. I'm set on game consoles (the only PC games I really play any more are a couple of MMO's from time to time) and I don't subscribe to Sat/Cable services, so no PVR needed (right now).

What do my hardware choices look like and what should I be considering for my OS and front-end? (I really like the idea of XBMC on a PC but of course I'm open to suggestions).

I realize this all is a bit redundant, but I know you guys are way more tuned in to things than I, and I want to ensure I'm not basing my setup decisions off of out of date data.

Also, is it possible to use a Bluetooth remote (such as my PS3 unit) to control the software or am I stuck with yet another IR device?

soj89
Dec 5, 2005

.Nathan. posted:

Oops, yeah, for some reason i was picturing you using HDMI with a video card in which case it's sometimes necessary to set it in the BIOS. I do have a solution though maybe:
A high definition audio device may no longer work after you resume Windows Vista from hibernation or from sleep
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/937077

Already had this installed...

Anyone else have ideas on the Media Center freezing upon resume?

Related question:

I have an extra license for windows 2003 standard server lying around. Is there any advantage for me to use that as my file serving machine over a copy of vanilla XP? I'm not going to the complications of setting up a domain and use active directory and all of that. Just use it for file serving, perhaps running SABNzbd and torrents on it.

It'd be an old AMD 2600+ w/ 128 megs of ram and some big big hard drives.

soj89 fucked around with this message at 17:03 on Apr 4, 2008

SynMoo
Dec 4, 2006

soj89 posted:

Related question:

I have an extra license for windows 2003 standard server lying around. Is there any advantage for me to use that as my file serving machine over a copy of vanilla XP? I'm not going to the complications of setting up a domain and use active directory and all of that. Just use it for file serving, perhaps running SABNzbd and torrents on it.

It'd be an old AMD 2600+ w/ 128 megs of ram and some big big hard drives.

For that use, no real benefit to running server 2003 over XP.

anotherone
Feb 8, 2001
Username taken, please choose another one
My Comcast cable box has a firewire port... what's that for? Can I use it to get video into my HTPC?

iostream.h
Mar 14, 2006

Got my new HTPC configured only to find out about an overscan issue with an nVidia 8800gt going into DLP monitors.

Found a LOT of 'fixes' that don't appear to do anything, and at this point I'm afraid of trying anything else out for fear of screwing up my TV or having to reinstall XP again.

XPsp2 fed into a Toshiba DLP 1080p via DVI -> HDMI.

I swear I remember using someone's computer recently that also had an nVidia in it and all I had to do was uncheck 'overscan' or something in the NCP.

Any advice?

Edit: Alternatively, what's another comparable card option?

iostream.h fucked around with this message at 22:33 on Apr 5, 2008

Malay
Aug 31, 2003

A meeting of great minds.

iostream.h posted:

Got my new HTPC configured only to find out about an overscan issue with an nVidia 8800gt going into DLP monitors.

Found a LOT of 'fixes' that don't appear to do anything, and at this point I'm afraid of trying anything else out for fear of screwing up my TV or having to reinstall XP again.

XPsp2 fed into a Toshiba DLP 1080p via DVI -> HDMI.

I swear I remember using someone's computer recently that also had an nVidia in it and all I had to do was uncheck 'overscan' or something in the NCP.

Any advice?

Edit: Alternatively, what's another comparable card option?

My basic research of the 8800GT suggested it had a notorious reputation for overscan compensation. My ATI 3870 has a pretty simple option in the CCC to reduce overscan that worked fine for me. My Pioneer 5070 plasma doesn't have dot-for-dot over HDMI (I have to output at 1280x720, which it will naturally overscan), so this was absolutely critical for me.

iostream.h
Mar 14, 2006

I've heard ATI cards can be a little iffy when using a DVI to HDMI converter (I only have HDMI inputs that allow for 1080p), is that possible with this card?

.Nathan.
Jun 29, 2004

by Fistgrrl

iostream.h posted:

I've heard ATI cards can be a little iffy when using a DVI to HDMI converter (I only have HDMI inputs that allow for 1080p), is that possible with this card?

What do you mean? You can use a simple DVI->HDMI adapter, or use ATI's DVI->HDMI adapter that also passes audio. Either way will work just fine. ATI have their act together when it comes to HTPC use.

iostream.h
Mar 14, 2006

.Nathan. posted:

ATI have their act together when it comes to HTPC use.
Apparently the DVI-HDMI issue affects earlier (AGP) cards, I grabbed a 3870 and holy poo poo, they're awesome and easy to work with.

gently caress nVidia.

soj89
Dec 5, 2005

soj89 posted:

In case anyone runs into the same problem. Seems uninstalling My Movies fixed this right up.

As for the HDMI audio issue -- I just disabled the normal audio device, now it stays HDMI after resume.

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

Ok, I think I've got the parts for my first HTPC build all set. The purpose is:

* XBMC replacement that plays x264 and 720p MPEG4/WMV9-encoded files over the network
* Running Linux/Myth unless it's way too troublesome/doesn't work
* In the future maybe recording from cable (probably just SD, but who knows)
* Has a remote
* As cheap as possible given those constraints

Here's the parts list:
Case: Antec Silver/ Black 0.8mm cold rolled steel/ Aluminum plate front bezel Veris Fusion 430 Micro ATX Media Center / HTPC Case - Retail
Motherboard: ASUS M3A78-EMH HDMI AM2+/AM2 AMD 780G HDMI Micro ATX AMD Motherboard - Retail
CPU: AMD Athlon 64 X2 5000+ Brisbane 2.6GHz Socket AM2 65W Dual-Core Black Edition Processor Model ADO5000DSWOF - Retail
Cooler: ARCTIC COOLING Freezer 64 Pro 92mm CPU Cooler - Retail
RAM: CORSAIR XMS2 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 675 (PC2 5400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model TWIN2X2048-5400c4 - Retail
HDD: Western Digital Caviar SE WD800JB 80GB 7200 RPM IDE Ultra ATA100 Hard Drive - OEM
Remote/IR receiver: Microsoft A9O-00007 WinXP Media Center Infrared Remote Control

I went with the ASUS board over the Gigabyte mentioned above because they seemed pretty similar - same onboard video, same north/southbridge, etc, and for some reason I trust ASUS more. Any real reason to go with the Gigabyte?

Also, can I be reasonably sure all this hardware will work under Linux (likely Ubuntu)?

All in all it comes to $495, which is pretty reasonable, I think.

dealmaster
Dec 24, 2005

Somebody call for an exterminator?

more falafel please posted:

HTPC build

I'd get this CPU instead:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819103775

It's only $44 and if you really want to overclock it, it'll easily do 2.8-3.0GHz with a very minimal bump to voltage. For what you're planning on doing, the BE is a bit more than you need, plus the 4000+ is half the price.

The memory is fine as well, but for $5 extra, you can get this excellent Mushkin RAM:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820146118

It's DDR2-800, so you'll get better memory performance.

Also, regarding motherboards, if it's important to you, the Gigabyte has 1 6-pin Firewire port as well as an e-SATA port. The Gigabyte also has a better sound processor, plus it has optical S/PDIF out.

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

dealmaster posted:

I'd get this CPU instead:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819103775

It's only $44 and if you really want to overclock it, it'll easily do 2.8-3.0GHz with a very minimal bump to voltage. For what you're planning on doing, the BE is a bit more than you need, plus the 4000+ is half the price.

The memory is fine as well, but for $5 extra, you can get this excellent Mushkin RAM:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820146118

It's DDR2-800, so you'll get better memory performance.

Also, regarding motherboards, if it's important to you, the Gigabyte has 1 6-pin Firewire port as well as an e-SATA port. The Gigabyte also has a better sound processor, plus it has optical S/PDIF out.

This is exactly the criticism I was looking for. I have 2 FireWire drives, which while I'll probably not end up hooking up to the HTPC, at least I *can*, plus the S/PDIF out and better sound makes it worth the extra $5 and the leap of faith to Gigabyte.

Strangely, I didn't even realize the RAM I linked wasn't DDR2-800, so thanks for that as well.

The proc looks good, I figure since mid-low-range procs have been going down in price, that'll be a cheaper upgrade, so I might as well save money now, and that looks like a good buy.

Thanks again, I'll probably go with that build.

edit: additional plus: no mailin rebates, which since I'm usually to lazy to turn them in, just means extra cheap which is always good.

more falafel please fucked around with this message at 08:14 on Apr 8, 2008

dealmaster
Dec 24, 2005

Somebody call for an exterminator?

This is exactly the criticism I was looking for. I have 2 FireWire drives, which while I'll probably not end up hooking up to the HTPC, at least I *can*, plus the S/PDIF out and better sound makes it worth the extra $5 and the leap of faith to Gigabyte.

Strangely, I didn't even realize the RAM I linked wasn't DDR2-800, so thanks for that as well.

The proc looks good, I figure since mid-low-range procs have been going down in price, that'll be a cheaper upgrade, so I might as well save money now, and that looks like a good buy.

Thanks again, I'll probably go with that build.

edit: additional plus: no mailin rebates, which since I'm usually to lazy to turn them in, just means extra cheap which is always good.

Great! I'm glad that my recommendations were useful to you. I'm very jealous, I want to build an HTPC really bad, but after buying a TV and everything that goes with it, it'll have to wait a while.

Euthyphro
Mar 14, 2004

Soy un águila de verdad.
Any thoughts on the best USB HDTV tuner/software solution for a laptop running XP Pro? I'm hoping to pick up a tuner with an external antenna to watch tv on my widescreen monitor, hooked up to a 2.5 year old laptop.

I'm looking for something that will allow me to watch OTA HDTV, and possibly record an hour of uncompressed video every now and then (no encoding on the fly). I'm open to spending up to $150, but would prefer to spend $120 or less. Is there something available that could do what I'm talking about on this kind of hardware?

SynMoo
Dec 4, 2006

Euthyphro posted:

Any thoughts on the best USB HDTV tuner/software solution for a laptop running XP Pro? I'm hoping to pick up a tuner with an external antenna to watch tv on my widescreen monitor, hooked up to a 2.5 year old laptop.

I'm looking for something that will allow me to watch OTA HDTV, and possibly record an hour of uncompressed video every now and then (no encoding on the fly). I'm open to spending up to $150, but would prefer to spend $120 or less. Is there something available that could do what I'm talking about on this kind of hardware?

Hauppauge WinTV HVR-950
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16815116006

Works very well. Should do you just fine. $70 shipped from NewEgg.

Some people like it, some don't. It's pretty dependent on reception and hardware. Do you know the CPU and RAM specs for your laptop?

Euthyphro
Mar 14, 2004

Soy un águila de verdad.

SynMoo posted:

Hauppauge WinTV HVR-950
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16815116006

Works very well. Should do you just fine. $70 shipped from NewEgg.

Some people like it, some don't. It's pretty dependent on reception and hardware. Do you know the CPU and RAM specs for your laptop?

It's a lower-end laptop:
Intel Celeron M 420 - 533MHz FSB, 1.6GHz CPU
512MB memory

SynMoo
Dec 4, 2006

Honestly, I don't think you're going to get HD out of that. You can try. You'll have no problem with low-res analog, but I don't see HD being fluid at all.

Chris Walken
Jul 17, 2003

do the hokey pokey
I'm in the early stages of building a computer which will have HTPC use as one of its primary functions. I have a couple quick questions before I start selecting parts.

First, how much of an issue is HDCP? My HDTV (42" 1080p Panasonic plasma) has HDCP-compliant HDMI ports. I'd be running the video from the PC into one of those ports via DVI-HDMI conversion. Would HDCP gently caress with non-DRM protected files like x264 or XviDs, or does HDCP only come into play when it's present on both ends? I will not be using the PC for any optical playback.

Second, the only input I have available on my HTIB system is a digital coax. I'd obviously like to be able to have 5.1 sound from the PC via this input. Should I go for a mobo/sound card that has Dolby Digital Live, which would be compatible 100% of the time? Or would the HTIB pick up the 5.1 AC3 stream when I play movies? How would it operate for music and other non-AC3 audio sources? When using it with my TV tuner's output, it switches to a simple stereo mode with non-AC3 sources. I assume I can expect the same, but I'm new to the HTPC thing and want to make sure I have all my bases covered.

Thanks a ton! Based on the responses I get, I'm going to go to newegg and build a PC, which I will then bring here for feedback.

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Unless I'm on the inside curve pointing straight at oncoming traffic the high beams stay on and I laugh at your puny protest flashes.
I am Most Important Man. Most Important Man in the World.
HDCP doesn't gently caress up anything. It's what enables you to watch blu-ray movies and maybe other DRM protected material.

SynMoo
Dec 4, 2006

Chris Walken posted:

Second, the only input I have available on my HTIB system is a digital coax. I'd obviously like to be able to have 5.1 sound from the PC via this input. Should I go for a mobo/sound card that has Dolby Digital Live, which would be compatible 100% of the time? Or would the HTIB pick up the 5.1 AC3 stream when I play movies? How would it operate for music and other non-AC3 audio sources? When using it with my TV tuner's output, it switches to a simple stereo mode with non-AC3 sources. I assume I can expect the same, but I'm new to the HTPC thing and want to make sure I have all my bases covered.

Thanks a ton! Based on the responses I get, I'm going to go to newegg and build a PC, which I will then bring here for feedback.

SynMoo posted:

I use the TurtleBeach Audio Advantage Micro with my HTPC. Just hangs off a USB port. Works supurb with SPDIF. I get Dolby Digital feeds from DVDs, AC3 DivX/mkv, and HDTV stuff recorded over the ATSC tuner if the broadcast was done in 5.1. For stuff not in 5.1 my receiver defaults to 2 channel perfectly.

Beware though that the HTPC audio control will not work with SPDIF passthrough but will with regular two channel audio. I have the audio turned just about all the way up on the HTPC and that keeps the DD and PCM audio closely matched. I programmed the remote to control the volume at the receiver and not the HTPC.

Huge thumbs up for this excellent and CHEAP device.

http://www.turtlebeach.com/products/micro/home.aspx

Grab that for your audio. Install AC3Filter or whatever other codec wizardry you prefer. This will pull your Dolby Digital streams out of your various AC3 encoded media (mkv, avi, etc). When watching TV, it will pass PCM audio over optical which should cause your receiver to revert to 2.0 (or 2.1 if you have small fronts and your receiver is configured as such). As a bonus when I watch HD shows with the ATSC tuner, it will pass the Dolby Digital 5.1 out to the receiver as well. Leaving the receiver on auto detect keeps me happy.

.Nathan.
Jun 29, 2004

by Fistgrrl

SynMoo posted:

Grab that for your audio. Install AC3Filter or whatever other codec wizardry you prefer. This will pull your Dolby Digital streams out of your various AC3 encoded media (mkv, avi, etc). When watching TV, it will pass PCM audio over optical which should cause your receiver to revert to 2.0 (or 2.1 if you have small fronts and your receiver is configured as such). As a bonus when I watch HD shows with the ATSC tuner, it will pass the Dolby Digital 5.1 out to the receiver as well. Leaving the receiver on auto detect keeps me happy.

There's no reason to get that if his mobo has digital out, though. Doesn't get much easier than just running a cable from the mobo to the receiver and telling the computer to pass through the signal.

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

Ok, I think I've got the parts for my first HTPC build all set. The purpose is:

* XBMC replacement that plays x264 and 720p MPEG4/WMV9-encoded files over the network
* Running Linux/Myth unless it's way too troublesome/doesn't work
* In the future maybe recording from cable (probably just SD, but who knows)
* Has a remote
* As cheap as possible given those constraints

Just a software recommendation, XBMC is currently being ported to Ubuntu, OSX and Windows.

All of them are considered "pre-alpha" but are all pretty feature complete. The Ubuntu port works pretty much perfectly. The Windows port is mostly there, but can't browse SMB shares (it can play back files from SMB shares that are mapped as a local drive through Windows).

go to xbmc.org and check their forums to read more.

SynMoo
Dec 4, 2006

.Nathan. posted:

There's no reason to get that if his mobo has digital out, though. Doesn't get much easier than just running a cable from the mobo to the receiver and telling the computer to pass through the signal.

From what I gather, he hasn't yet purchased his mobo. With this inexpensive add on, he has a much wider range to select from as opposed to only those with optical SPDIF on board.

evilalien
Jul 29, 2005

Knowledge is born from Curiosity.

Lowen SoDium posted:

Just a software recommendation, XBMC is currently being ported to Ubuntu, OSX and Windows.

All of them are considered "pre-alpha" but are all pretty feature complete. The Ubuntu port works pretty much perfectly. The Windows port is mostly there, but can't browse SMB shares (it can play back files from SMB shares that are mapped as a local drive through Windows).

SMB sharing works for me in the latest build of XBMC for Windows. As a longtime user of XBMC on my old xbox, I think I will be building a new htpc soon based on either the Windows or OSX XBMC.

SynMoo posted:

From what I gather, he hasn't yet purchased his mobo. With this inexpensive add on, he has a much wider range to select from as opposed to only those with optical SPDIF on board.

If that is the case, he should pick out a mobo first and then see if he needs a sound card or not.

evilalien fucked around with this message at 19:30 on Apr 10, 2008

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

evilalien posted:

SMB sharing works for me in the latest build of XBMC for Windows. As a longtime user of XBMC on my old xbox, I think I will be building a new htpc soon based on either the Windows or OSX XBMC.

Oh, cool. Guess I need to update.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!

Lowen SoDium posted:

XBMC doesn't have any support for watching and recording tv does it?

Chris Walken
Jul 17, 2003

do the hokey pokey

SynMoo posted:

Well I would prefer to use integrated audio, so if the mobo had the proper output that would be ideal (I haven't purchased anything yet). However, both of my optical inputs are currently in use (360 & tv), so that only leaves me with one coaxial input. I've found a few mobos that have coaxial output but didn't feature DDLive. I was under the impression that I needed DD Live to get true 5.1, but if I can still get 5.1 without that feature then hell yeah (I only care about 5.1 for movies), because that gives me a lot more options. Basically, if it has the right output, I can do the rest in software, right?

Does anyone have an answer to my HDCP question? I have a couple x264 encodes that I haven't been able to watch yet (current computer too slow to handle 1080p), but I'm wondering if HDCP will prevent the tv from displaying them. After doing some more reading I'm 99% sure that HDCP is only an issue when the source requires it, and obviously an x264 encode won't, but I want to be absolutely sure my build will work with my tv before I drop a grand on it.

One more thing... my ultimate plan is to have my plasma in the living room (currently in the bedroom) with my PC in my bedroom feeding the signals through HDMI & coaxial cables to the tv & surround sound system, respectively. Depending on the set up of my new place, this could potentially mean ~50 foot cables. How much of a problem will signal degradation be when pushing a 1920x1080 signal over cables that long? Would this or this negate any issues I may have?

Chris Walken fucked around with this message at 21:27 on Apr 10, 2008

Minty Swagger
Sep 8, 2005

Ribbit Ribbit Real Good
I'm putting together a list of parts for an htpc I want to build, and from what I read in threads on avforum you can get away with a low end processor and use a video card with hd offloading (8500gt for example) to play back blu-ray video.

I want to put together a box that would not only play back blu-ray but also be able to play any sort of video file I toss at it. What would be the mininum cpu requirement to playback a 1080p h264 file? I have an E6750 in my desktop and it plays them without a hitch but it seems like that would be overkill for something like this. Money isnt too much of an issue, but I also hate wasting it, so if (example) an E4500 can play 1080p files no problem there's no reason to pony up for the faster cpu.

TL;DR version: If you have a low end htpc and it plays back 1080p video files (not just Bluray) please tell me your components.

SynMoo
Dec 4, 2006

Chris Walken posted:

Well I would prefer to use integrated audio, so if the mobo had the proper output that would be ideal (I haven't purchased anything yet). However, both of my optical inputs are currently in use (360 & tv), so that only leaves me with one coaxial input. I've found a few mobos that have coaxial output but didn't feature DDLive. I was under the impression that I needed DD Live to get true 5.1, but if I can still get 5.1 without that feature then hell yeah (I only care about 5.1 for movies), because that gives me a lot more options. Basically, if it has the right output, I can do the rest in software, right?

Does anyone have an answer to my HDCP question? I have a couple x264 encodes that I haven't been able to watch yet (current computer too slow to handle 1080p), but I'm wondering if HDCP will prevent the tv from displaying them. After doing some more reading I'm 99% sure that HDCP is only an issue when the source requires it, and obviously an x264 encode won't, but I want to be absolutely sure my build will work with my tv before I drop a grand on it.

One more thing... my ultimate plan is to have my plasma in the living room (currently in the bedroom) with my PC in my bedroom feeding the signals through HDMI & coaxial cables to the tv & surround sound system, respectively. Depending on the set up of my new place, this could potentially mean ~50 foot cables. How much of a problem will signal degradation be when pushing a 1920x1080 signal over cables that long? Would this or this negate any issues I may have?

You do not need DDLive to get 5.1 sound. If your mobo has coaxial or optical SPDIF output, the rest is all software.

HDCP only comes into play when watching optical based HD content.. ie HD-DVD or BluRay. If you will not have either drive in your system, HDCP will not be an issue. However, if your display already supports it, and any video card you get will support it, you won't have any issues playing that optical content. HDCP will not interfere in any way with your other encoded media, regardless of it's source format.

50ft will be no problem for HDMI and coax digital audio as long as you buy decent yet reasonably priced cables from Monoprice.

http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=102&cp_id=10240&cs_id=1024002&p_id=2804&seq=1&format=2

http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=102&cp_id=10236&cs_id=1023601&p_id=2982&seq=1&format=2

Get a DVI-HDMI cable version of the above should your video card not support HDMI.

Chris Walken
Jul 17, 2003

do the hokey pokey

SynMoo posted:

You do not need DDLive to get 5.1 sound. If your mobo has coaxial or optical SPDIF output, the rest is all software.

HDCP only comes into play when watching optical based HD content.. ie HD-DVD or BluRay. If you will not have either drive in your system, HDCP will not be an issue. However, if your display already supports it, and any video card you get will support it, you won't have any issues playing that optical content. HDCP will not interfere in any way with your other encoded media, regardless of it's source format.

50ft will be no problem for HDMI and coax digital audio as long as you buy decent yet reasonably priced cables from Monoprice.

http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=102&cp_id=10240&cs_id=1024002&p_id=2804&seq=1&format=2

http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=102&cp_id=10236&cs_id=1023601&p_id=2982&seq=1&format=2

Get a DVI-HDMI cable version of the above should your video card not support HDMI.
Exactly the answers I was looking for. Thanks SynMoo.

Now it's time to compile a build list and bring it back here for feedback.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend

Vykk.Draygo posted:

XBMC doesn't have any support for watching and recording tv does it?

Not yet, but I wouldn't be surprised to see a plugin developed to support Media Portal's TVEngine, which is looking pretty awesome so far.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dfn_doe
Apr 12, 2005
I FOR ONE WELCOME OUR NEW STUPID FUCKING CATCHPHRASE OVERLORDS

SynMoo posted:

Au Contrare, I have personally seen dvi>hdmi 1080p signal degradation fail to the point of signal drop on runs of only 10'. I have read of others having similar experiences. I have had no problem since moving to a 3' monoprice hdmi cable. Something in the 50' range could easily be problematic... just my .02