Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zapato
Jun 18, 2004

He'll warn you when danger's coming, fast or slow.

GrAviTy84 posted:

:words:
Excellent, thanks for the tips.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

deviant. posted:

You might also consider renting a nice small diaphragm condenser or two for the guitar.
I can agree with this. My current favorite low-budget setup for miking distorted guitar is one Sennheiser e906 with one Rode NT5 EQed together to taste, though you could easily use an SM57 instead of the e906. I find the e906 has a more graceful high-end rolloff, where the SM57 is a bit too tinny and sibilant on the highs with high-gain amplifiers.

I feel that condensers alone do not sound good on a guitar cab, though.

Vulture Culture fucked around with this message at 06:50 on Mar 22, 2008

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!
Well, he's recording an acoustic guitar. For an electric there's a range of mics. Anything from an SM57 to a Beyer M160 or a Sennheiser 421. I've had good luck mixing and matching before as well - one mic may sound OK on its own, but two may be even better.

El Fragtasmo
Jul 30, 2006

You don't die enough to cry.
Ok, so I'm completely new to this. I've hosed around with guitar for a few years now, and recently getting more into it, and I'd like to record some stuff with a little more proficiency than what I've been doing - sitting my headset mic. in front of my amp. Which, as you can imagine, sounds awful, and really makes it impossible to record anything with straight timing, so let's say I wanted to record a whole song that has multiple guitars playing, and I record each part separately and then attempt to edit them together to form the song - impossible to do because my method is so wonky I just can't get a well-timed recording. Not to mention horrible static and sound quality overall. SO, I've read OP up and down and looked around online a bit myself, but I like to get some definite recommendations before jumping in to things like this.

I'm really only looking for the bare basics here. As far as the interface goes, USB is preferred, and I have access to Sony Sound Forge 9.0 and Sony Acid 6.0 to record in. What would you guys recommend me from here to get all set up? And I'm looking for cheap poo poo, nothing epic, I'm not looking for studio-quality sound or equipment. Preferably with everything included around $150, if that's possible. Also, if it's of interest, I use a a Washburn WG587 7-string electric, and my amp is an ancient Peavey Audition 30.

Sexy Randal
Jul 26, 2006

woah
I'm looking for a way to record directly from my guitar into my computer with no amp involved. I live in an apartment where the walls are paper-thin, so I can't use my amp to record without pissing off my neighbours.

I've gone Guitar>Distortion Pedal>Mic-jack on the computer before, but it sounded pretty lovely. I'm not doing serious recording, just hobby stuff, so it doesn't have to be totally amazing. I just don't want it to sound like rear end. Is there any sort of pedal board type hardware that can allow me to do so and get a half decent sound?

I'm also looking to do the same with a bass if possible.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

El Fragtasmo posted:

If you only want to spend 150 I'd get an GLS ES57 and an M-Audio Mobile pre off Ebay. Put the amp in another room and run cables.

Sexy Randal posted:

Sounds like you could use a Speaker Simulator. You can build them yourself if you don't care too much about being really professional sounding. Just google "DIY speaker simulator".

the wizards beard
Apr 15, 2007
Reppin

4 LIFE 4 REAL

El Fragtasmo posted:

Also, if it's of interest, I use a a Washburn WG587 7-string electric, and my amp is an ancient Peavey Audition 30.

sup WG buddy.
I have the six-string licensed Floyd version of this (WG580), and the only info I could ever really find online about the WG series was people mentioning in passing that they also had one. Can I ask how much you got it for?

El Fragtasmo
Jul 30, 2006

the wizards beard posted:

sup WG buddy.
I have the six-string licensed Floyd version of this (WG580), and the only info I could ever really find online about the WG series was people mentioning in passing that they also had one. Can I ask how much you got it for?

I got it a few years ago through Musician's Friend for 200, or 250, can't remember, marked down from 900. It's pretty good as far as my knowledge of guitars can tell.

El Fragtasmo
Jul 30, 2006

GrAviTy84 posted:

If you only want to spend 150 I'd get an GLS ES57 and an M-Audio Mobile pre off Ebay. Put the amp in another room and run cables.

Looked them up, and they're in my price range. Why would I need to run cables from another room? (Might be a stupid question, but I'm raw when it comes to any of this)

the wizards beard
Apr 15, 2007
Reppin

4 LIFE 4 REAL

El Fragtasmo posted:

I got it a few years ago through Musician's Friend for 200, or 250, can't remember, marked down from 900. It's pretty good as far as my knowledge of guitars can tell.

Yeah, pretty much the same for me. Got it for about €300 down from €600 (which is apparently $460 down from $926 because the dollar is worth poo poo, it was a good bit less than $400 in a-few-years-ago money).

e:

El Fragtasmo posted:

Looked them up, and they're in my price range. Why would I need to run cables from another room? (Might be a stupid question, but I'm raw when it comes to any of this)

Probably because you want to have your amp running loud to get a nice sound from it. Play in another room so you don't go deaf.

the wizards beard fucked around with this message at 02:05 on Mar 25, 2008

Sexy Randal
Jul 26, 2006

woah

GrAviTy84 posted:

Sounds like you could use a Speaker Simulator. You can build them yourself if you don't care too much about being really professional sounding. Just google "DIY speaker simulator".

Yeah, that sounds about right. What I'm seeing looks kinda like overkill though, I dunno. I was thinking of a Line 6 POD (which upon further investigation appears to be just what I'm looking for). Does anybody have any strong feelings good/bad towards them?

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Sexy Randal posted:

Yeah, that sounds about right. What I'm seeing looks kinda like overkill though, I dunno. I was thinking of a Line 6 POD (which upon further investigation appears to be just what I'm looking for). Does anybody have any strong feelings good/bad towards them?

I love my POD 2.0, you can buy them for a steal used, and unless you are recording the next Eric Johnson album, you can record some really great tones out of one for a great sounding demo or what have you.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 12 days!

Sexy Randal posted:

Go for one of the line6 toneports as they're basically a Pod that is made specifically for recording onto your computer.

WanderingKid
Feb 27, 2005

lives here...
One of my housemates has a Toneport. I think its a complete peice of junk and it sounds like complete rear end. I have never heard his Les Paul sound so bad. Take a look at the hardware and its basically a DI box and a DSP that crunches some very bad sounding distortions/amp models/phase modulation effects.

I cannot for the life of me understand why you would ever want to buy a Toneport when you could buy a mono DI for like a tenner and then use freebie software effects that sound better (like Voxengo Boogex for amp modelling, TLs Saturated Driver for overdrive, SIR for reverb etc).

drat if all you want is cab simulations you can use any convolver (this includes SIR 1.008, SIR 2.0, Voxengo Pristine Space and Waves IR which are all most commonly used for reverb). The results would depend absolutely on how well the impulses are generated and recorded but you have a ridiculous amount of choice and you can make your own. Boogex just happens to be a freebie with a bunch of impulses played through various popular guitar amps and recorded using various popular mics.

GrAviTy84 posted:

^^^seconding the post two posts above mine, find a good rep and they'll treat you well.

I'm no expert, but I have a a good amount of experience in the home studio environment, here is my critique of your plan.

If you are going to drop some money on gear, you really should spend more on better monitors. You're spending almost as much on headphones as you are on that behringer crap. When it comes to the mix, you really need reliable, balanced, even monitors. Even the M-Audio BX5's are better than those truths.

Better in what way? The important thing is you listen to them yourself first before you buy them. Other than that all monitors will sound different and more expensive doesn't necessarily correlate to better. It doesnt really matter what you use so long as you enjoy using them and get used to the way they sound. I use a pair of Sennheiser CX300 earbuds for monitoring and they cost me a fat 40 bucks. I also have a pair of Dynaudio BM5as either side of my flat screen which I barely ever use and only to secondary ref. One of the things that turned me off them was because I move house pretty much every year and these little crates sound dramatically different in every room I play them in. I'm tired of it and its great I can carry around a pair of buds and they sound the same where ever I move.

The important thing is you like using your monitors day to day and actually use them day to day. Eventually you will just get used to the way they sound, begin to recognise where they are deficient and compensate accordingly in the mix.

quote:

Don't neglect cable pricing, they are just as expensive as everything else and definitely don't fall under the "little poo poo" category, even with bargain bin stuff, there are a LOT of cables to buy.

I would encourage people to buy the cheapest cable they can get their penny pinching hands on. The only consideration you ever need to worry about are mechanical so if you are likely to flex your cables alot around the termination points you probably want one that is sturdy enough to handle that sort of flexing repeatedly. All electrical considerations in speaker cable are in a round about way meaningless when considering the length and thickness of the conductors used. You could use a coathanger and it would work just as well as any other cable on the market.

WanderingKid fucked around with this message at 05:54 on Mar 27, 2008

Make Ready
Aug 24, 2007

by Ozmaugh
Hey guys. I'm thinking of getting a Mbox 2 Pro, but the firewire port on my laptop is only a 4-pin. The box outputs 6-pin. I don't know poo poo about firewire, is this going to be a problem?

perfectecho
Jun 4, 2002
Severe Newbie looking for help/recommendations:

I bought some hardware off a friend of mine for next to nothing, a handful of M-Audio stuff: Oxygen8 usb midi keyboard, delta 44 i/o box, audio buddy preamp.
I have the driver discs but no software, everything is installed and working.

I grabbed Audacity to try recording and it appears the delta 44 runs single channels of left and right instead of 4 stereo channels, so i gather radio shack in my near future for jumper cables to split the signal from the preamp.

Anyway, before i start rambling, I wanted to ask what people thought i should check out for software, i'm looking to record some demos and stuff, nothing for an album release or anything, but just use some sampled drums to play over, multitrack some vocals, keyboard, simple stuff really

so what would everyone think is the best bet for a fairly technically inept fool like me

slothzilla
Dec 19, 2003

I'm a journalist looking for a good portable recorder, and it looks like the Edirol R-09 is my best bet.

Do you guys have any thoughts or experiences with the R09 or other recorders in its class?

Is Sony Hi-MD a dead format?

I appreciate the help guys, and if you think this should go in the A/V megathread just let me know.

Thanks

33rd Degree Idiot
Sep 17, 2007

Scion of an ancestral procession of idiots stretching back to the Missing Link
Well, it's that time of the year again. You know, the time where I spend my tax return money on music equipment instead of bills or something.

I have been recording my own very lo-fi crap with basic recording software and your basic awful computer mic, mostly just for reference and the sake of remembering riffs, melodies, etc. Recently, I decided to get more serious with this and bought a Mackie Onyx Satellite recording package from zzounds.com. It sucked, and actually didn't really even work, though I wanted to like it so, so very bad. I tried. But anyways, I sent it back.

So, I have roughly $600 to spend on recording equipment. Would it be better for me to piece it together, or buy another 'package'? Basically, I have NO equipment related to recording, outside of a midi keyboard I bought and NI Komplete software. There are plenty of free or budget DAW programs and plugins out there, so I am not too worried about that. What could I skimp on until I get more money later on? What should I NOT skimp on?

Basically, I am looking at an interface, headphones and/or monitors, and mics I guess? Preamp? Mixer? I guess basically what I am asking of you more experienced recording buffs, if you had it to do over, or whatever, and you were starting out from scratch, what would you have bought with your first $600 or so, knowing you needed a completely functional, if not extravagant, setup with room to grow?

Thanks, I'll hang up and listen.

E: Oh, duh, my computer. I am going to TRY to use this on a laptop, HP pavillion dv2000. I also have the less convenient, though probably more practical, option of using my desktop. My Laptop is the only one with firewire at this time however, if that's the route that is recommended. RAM and space aren't problems. Actually, maybe I should use my desktop, I dunnow. I know laptop hardrives generally suck at recording audio to the disk unless specifically setup for that, which mine is not.

33rd Degree Idiot fucked around with this message at 15:10 on Apr 7, 2008

Jam2
Jan 15, 2008

With Energy For Mayhem
Is the M-Audio Audiophile 192 card compatible with Windows Server 2003? The product page lists:

-Windows 2000
-Windows XP 32
-Windows XP 64 (BETA)
-Vista 32
-Vista 64 (BETA)

I'm using two 192 cards in a machine to capture live audio.

Radio Help
Mar 22, 2007

ChipChip? 
I've heard that the full version of Live 7 allows you to run the program on two separate computers, but is it possible to run them at the same time? Sorry if this is a repeat, I searched the forums and google but didn't come up with anything.

urbster1
Apr 13, 2005

y⊙U aRE b⊙RING
I just recorded a piano track but I hosed up on the time and some parts are faster than they should be. I heard that Ableton has the best time and pitch stretching algorithms around, so would I be able to use Live 7 to re-sync the track in tempo? If so, how?

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den
Or you could just re-record with a click track *shrug*

DodGrile
Jul 20, 2006

There should be something funny here. There isn't.

Stux posted:

Go for one of the line6 toneports as they're basically a Pod that is made specifically for recording onto your computer.

This is what I'm doing, and it's pretty drat useful, especially if you want to just quickly knock something up quickly.

I've got a question in that I'm using my setup to record ideas for the band I'm currently in. Using the toneport is fine and dandy, but I'd really like to include some drum sounds so I can give some indication to the real drummer (I'm the guitarist).

Various people have suggested Easy (EZ?) Drummer, but as I really have no clue I thought I'd see what you guys suggested. All I have recording-wise is a PC and the Toneport at the moment, so I don't know if I'd need some extra hardware or anything?

Edit: and I'm using Sonar, which I stupidly forgot to mention.

DodGrile fucked around with this message at 15:00 on Apr 9, 2008

cmerepaul
Nov 28, 2005
That's not chapstick!

DodGrile posted:

This is what I'm doing, and it's pretty drat useful, especially if you want to just quickly knock something up quickly.

I've got a question in that I'm using my setup to record ideas for the band I'm currently in. Using the toneport is fine and dandy, but I'd really like to include some drum sounds so I can give some indication to the real drummer (I'm the guitarist).

Various people have suggested Easy (EZ?) Drummer, but as I really have no clue I thought I'd see what you guys suggested. All I have recording-wise is a PC and the Toneport at the moment, so I don't know if I'd need some extra hardware or anything?

You'll need a multitrack program, that will let you program out drum patterns in EZ Drummer and layer in guitar tracks. Fruity Loops is fairly cheap and is a great way to get started.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 12 days!

DodGrile posted:

Easiest way to do this would be to load up a sampler in Sonar, with some good drum samples such as ns_kit7 free. Or another option is to buy EZ drummer/Drum Kit From Hell or anything similar and use that, again inside sonar.

DodGrile
Jul 20, 2006

There should be something funny here. There isn't.

cmerepaul posted:

You'll need a multitrack program, that will let you program out drum patterns in EZ Drummer and layer in guitar tracks. Fruity Loops is fairly cheap and is a great way to get started.

Stux posted:

Easiest way to do this would be to load up a sampler in Sonar, with some good drum samples such as ns_kit7 free. Or another option is to buy EZ drummer/Drum Kit From Hell or anything similar and use that, again inside sonar.

Thanks for the advice, I'll start having a mess around and see what I can come up with.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 12 days!

cmerepaul posted:

Sonar can do this unless im horribly mistaken.

wheezy360
Mar 8, 2006
I have a quick question about getting in to recording. I just want to know if what hardware I have now will actually allow me to record, all considerations of sound quality aside. I realize that without a decent audio interface (for starters), that what I do record will sound like crap, but I just want to be able to play around with what I've got before I decide to sink any money into this as a hobby.

So, here's what I would like to record with if possible:
- Takamine EG531SSC (has TK40 preamp)
- 1/4" to 1/8" jack adapter (abomination, I know)
- iMac with 2.4GHz/2Gb RAM
- GarageBand
- Fender Deluxe 112 plus 90W amp (I'd rather not have to use this due to where it's set up vs. where my computer is set up but if the preamp on my Tak isn't enough I'll try it out).

Is this enough to, at a bare minimum, get some recordings going and tinker around with the software?

Edit: Posted this from work, tried it when I got home, works, and it's enough for now!

wheezy360 fucked around with this message at 00:34 on Apr 10, 2008

urbster1
Apr 13, 2005

y⊙U aRE b⊙RING

nimper posted:

Or you could just re-record with a click track *shrug*
Haha, I did record with a click! My time is just not the best. I plan on recording it again soon but I've got to find more free time first. In the event I don't get another chance to record, are there any other suggestions for things I can do to fix it?

cmerepaul
Nov 28, 2005
That's not chapstick!

Stux posted:

Sonar can do this unless im horribly mistaken.

Guess I should have read the edit.

Hired Gun
Nov 25, 2006

by Ozma
What are some general tips involving getting a good amount of "separation" in tracks? I usually end up having it all sound muddy as hell when put together.

RivensBitch
Jul 25, 2002

Better acoustical treatment in the room, better acoustical isolation between the instruments, more directional mics...

or track everything separately and use headphones with little to no bleed (I use in ear monitors myself).

Elder
Oct 19, 2004

It's the Evolution Revolution.

Hired Gun posted:

What are some general tips involving getting a good amount of "separation" in tracks? I usually end up having it all sound muddy as hell when put together.

I was reading up on EQ tips and someone suggested that for more separation it's best to cut instead of boost while applying EQ. If you want less separation, then boost instead of cut. I don't know enough to know if this is true, but it seems logical enough to me.

RivensBitch
Jul 25, 2002

I don't know if it would affect separation of the material, but the reason to cut instead of boost is that all EQs inherently smear the phase relationship of what you're adjusting vs what is left alone. So if you like a certain range of frequencies it's better to phase-smear the stuff you want to de-accentuate and then turn up the overall volume, which will in effect "boost" the frequencies you aren't cutting without affecting their phasing.

RivensBitch fucked around with this message at 20:44 on Apr 14, 2008

Ocular
Sep 20, 2005

I am currently saving up for BRATZ Forever diamonds set
I'm new to recording and I think I'm off to a decent start, but I'm not 100% sure what to do with my setup right now, although I think I know what the problem is. I've been recording acoustic/clean guitars and vocals directly through my POD X3L, which is pretty good for the most part, but distorted guitars recorded via my mic'd amp using an SM57 sound horrendous, any relatively audible level is all crackly, and the quality itself is just awful. The SM57 goes into a mic preamp, then straight into my sound card's mic port using a mono adapter... is this my weak point? I just picked this stuff up and thought I'd give this setup a shot before getting anything else, just to see if it would work.

Am I correct in assuming that I need a dedicated audio interface? I kind of figure this is my problem but since I don't know a god drat thing I'd rather ask first. I'd really just like good quality, clear recordings. Thanks for the help!

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

Ocular posted:

The SM57 goes into a mic preamp, then straight into my sound card's mic port using a mono adapter...

This is your problem. You need to go into a line in from your mic preamp. Right now you have waaaaaaay too much input gain because you're amplifying twice.

Elder
Oct 19, 2004

It's the Evolution Revolution.

RivensBitch posted:

I don't know if it would affect separation of the material, but the reason to cut instead of boost is that all EQs inherently smear the phase relationship of what you're adjusting vs what is left alone. So if you like a certain range of frequencies it's better to phase-smear the stuff you want to de-accentuate and then turn up the overall volume, which will in effect "boost" the frequencies you aren't cutting without affecting their phasing.

Ah, thanks for this. I've heard before that in general it's better to cut than boost but I never heard a good reason why.

Ocular
Sep 20, 2005

I am currently saving up for BRATZ Forever diamonds set

deviant. posted:

This is your problem. You need to go into a line in from your mic preamp. Right now you have waaaaaaay too much input gain because you're amplifying twice.

Yep, looks like that's the problem. Can't properly test right now but by the look of things that fixed it, thanks!

I'll still probably invest in an audio interface but this will do me for now (hopefully).

ampleforth
Dec 23, 2004

So it goes.
I am in need of a better interface than my Mbox2, which will go home from my rehearsal space/studio and be replaced by a big brother of some kind.

I would like to have a firewire interface this time, and I'm wondering if I should go for a Presonus Firepod(studio?) or Digi002. The Digi003 is out just based on price.

I'm a ProTools user, and I've recorded a lot of stuff on 002's so I'm kind of familiar with their whole program, but I'm also interested in getting the best bang for my buck, of course.

Does anyone have any advice on this specific situation, or a third option not yet considered?

I want firewire and the ability to record 8 inputs at once. Thanks in advance, guys.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RivensBitch
Jul 25, 2002

If you can find a used 002 that you're confident in, go that route. You already have an mbox so getting up to date software wont be an issues, and honestly the build quality of 002 is vastly superior to the firepod. You also get the digital input on the 002 which gives you more options than the firepod (I use an apogee rosetta 800 with my 002).