Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

Darth Freddy posted:

Either am I. I just remember a private pilot told me that commercial planes were no longer pressurized. So people have been having heart attacks and other blood pressure type problems. I may have it rear end backwards though.

Well, it's sort of odd to think about the plane being pressurized (though technically it is). A better way to put it perhaps is that the interior of the plane is never allowed to depressurize to the point where it would be in equilibrium with the exterior at cruising altitude. Sea-level air pressure (1 atmo) is not maintained because of the stress that would cause to the hull, but a difference of approximately +6-7 psi over the exterior is maintained at cruising altitude.

The ill effects are actually due to going from 1 atmo to whatever lower pressure the airline maintains during flight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the-jam
May 20, 2003

Kick Out the MC5

Darth Freddy posted:

This just in they accept the bomb may kill some inside, but those that survive will be able to safely land the plane.
Which is stupid since explosive decompression wouldn't kill everyone anyways.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

the-jam posted:

Well with a hole that big at any real speed the plane would just tear apart anyway.

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

I'm your friend and I'm not going to just stand by and let you do this!

Oneiros posted:

Well, it's sort of odd to think about the plane being pressurized (though technically it is). A better way to put it perhaps is that the interior of the plane is never allowed to depressurize to the point where it would be in equilibrium with the exterior at cruising altitude. Sea-level air pressure (1 atmo) is not maintained because of the stress that would cause to the hull, but a difference of approximately +6-7 psi over the exterior is maintained at cruising altitude.

The ill effects are actually due to going from 1 atmo to whatever lower pressure the airline maintains during flight.

IRQ posted:

Well with a hole that big at any real speed the plane would just tear apart anyway.

There was an episode of Mayday that touched on this. Aloha Flight 243 was a commuter flight between two Hawaiian islands. The trip was only about 30 minutes long, so the plane flying it could take many trips a day. By the time of its explosive decompression, it had done over 89 thousand trips, and the cumulative stress from the pressure changes were part of what caused an 18-foot long chunk of the fuselage to break away.

Darth Freddy
Feb 6, 2007

An Emperor's slightest dislike is transmitted to those who serve him, and there it is amplified into rage.

Oneiros posted:

Huh wow, thanks! I didn’t really understand how it all worked, so it explained a lot.

the-jam posted:

The decompression from even a window size hole may not kill any one, well maybe the person sitting right by it. But when a good section of the fuselage is ripped away from a explosion. What the explosion and over pressure didn’t kill, having that huge of a hole is going to gently caress some one up some how.

Sand Monster
Apr 13, 2008

New season of "Deadliest Catch" starts tomorrow night with episodes one and two, starting at 9. Who's excited?

LordOfThePants
Sep 25, 2002

Todd Flanders posted:

New season of "Deadliest Catch" starts tomorrow night with episodes one and two, starting at 9. Who's excited?

New episodes of Dirty Jobs start tonight too. Rather than give Mike a break while Deadliest Catch runs, they moved his show to Monday nights at 9 now.

There's also a show they're doing a preview for called "One Way Out" that looks like it has potential to be pretty neat. They pair an escape artist up with an engineer, the latter building contraptions the former has to escape from. I'm a sucker for that kind of stuff, so as long as they don't make it too cheesy it should be fun to watch. It airs tonight at 10 after Dirty Jobs. Here's the episode description:

quote:

Escapologist Jonathan Goodwin demonstrates how to use everyday objects to get out of difficult and possibly dangerous situations created by an expert.

Sounds like a mix of MacGyver and Man versus Wild. Hey, it can't be worse than Smash Lab, right?

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?

LordOfThePants posted:

Sounds like a mix of MacGyver and Man versus Wild. Hey, it can't be worse than Smash Lab, right?

Look on the bright side: There's no possible way it could ever be as bad as Mindfreak.

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

Whatever.
I'd never even seen promos for this, it sounds cool. I'll definitely check it out.

Campbell
Jun 7, 2000
"Escapologist" sounds about as viable as a Red Robin "Mixologist" so I'm kind of skeptical.

Maybe if they put every single device out on the deadly Bering Sea...or throw one of the people from Ax Men in with the escapologist, it could be exciting enough.

Also, I'm stoked about the new season of Deadliest Catch...I have an unhealthy addiction to that show I think.

Cyne
May 30, 2007
Beauty is a rare thing.

Campbell posted:

Also, I'm stoked about the new season of Deadliest Catch...I have an unhealthy addiction to that show I think.

I think I almost overdosed on Deadliest Catch with that whole marathon they were running over the weekend. I actually just got into the show like a week ago, so I felt obligated to catch up and get acquainted with everyone before the new season started.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Not really very impressed with the escape show. Anyone else watch it?

Dirty Jobs was great though, glad it's back.

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

Whatever.
It was okay, they needed to elaborate/explain the requirements of the escape. He can prep with his needed paperclip and pen part ahead of time? He can't simply bust out of the crappy cabinet, he has to actually disable the lock? It has potential, I can forsee some interesting traps. If this is the pilot, I'm sure they'll refine it a bit.

I was going to call BS at the end, "Oh no, we can't blow the door, he has to do it himself!" fake twist but it appears he really couldn't do it forcing an end to the trap rather than some faux drama. If he can't always do the escape, I'm sure that means they have the leeway to set up some really cool stuff.

Teek fucked around with this message at 04:06 on Apr 15, 2008

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

The escape show is nowhere near as crappy as smash lab. That's something.

Loving Leader
Sep 17, 2004

HOT PIE COMIN THROUGH

Teek posted:

It was okay, they needed to elaborate/explain the requirements of the escape. He can prep with his needed paperclip and pen part ahead of time? He can't simply bust out of the crappy cabinet, he has to actually disable the lock? It has potential, I can forsee some interesting traps. If this is the pilot, I'm sure they'll refine it a bit.

I was going to call BS at the end, "Oh no, we can't blow the door, he has to do it himself!" fake twist but it appears he really couldn't do it forcing an end to the trap rather than some faux drama. If he can't always do the escape, I'm sure that means they have the leeway to set up some really cool stuff.

And it was really cool when the door almost knocked the guy over. And seeing Goodwin float out of the trap. Man it looked fun.

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

The escape show would be great if it was 30 minutes long.

Always Shirtless
Oct 14, 2006

by Fistgrrl
Is that escape show just a pilot or something? I missed it but it sounds interesting and searching for it with my DVR shows nothing at all.

the-jam
May 20, 2003

Kick Out the MC5

tato chips jones posted:

Is that escape show just a pilot or something? I missed it but it sounds interesting and searching for it with my DVR shows nothing at all.
Yeah the series doesn't start until this summer sometime. A reality documentary about rodent exterminators takes over the timeslot next week.

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?

the-jam posted:

Yeah the series doesn't start until this summer sometime. A reality documentary about rodent exterminators takes over the timeslot next week.

The only way I would watch that was if it was that crazy ex-con from Dirty Jobs.

ANGRY VIRGIN GAMER
Jul 5, 2007

by The Finn

404GoonNotFound posted:

The only way I would watch that was if it was that crazy ex-con from Dirty Jobs.

I was going to say this, that show could be interesting but there's no way it can ever live up to that episode.

LordOfThePants
Sep 25, 2002

404GoonNotFound posted:

I sort of figured it was about VexCon since they did two episodes with those guys and it looked like they'd probably be able to carry a show themselves. I'll tune in next week but from the previews it didn't look like it was the VexCon people.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

My crazy fear of heights kicked in when Mike was working on the edge of the building putting the water tank up. And the part at the end where he was chillin on the crossbeam, that put me over the edge!

What a horrible fear to have, that I can't even WATCH people work high up :(

Free Market Gravy
Sep 17, 2005

LordOfThePants posted:

I sort of figured it was about VexCon since they did two episodes with those guys and it looked like they'd probably be able to carry a show themselves. I'll tune in next week but from the previews it didn't look like it was the VexCon people.

What made VexCon worth watching to me was that they looked like they had no idea what they were doing. Maybe they were playing it up for the cameras, but they had equipment breaking, poison spraying all over the place and just a general feeling of "OK, uh... yeah, do that and we'll see what happens."

ANGRY VIRGIN GAMER
Jul 5, 2007

by The Finn

Free Market Gravy posted:

What made VexCon worth watching to me was that they looked like they had no idea what they were doing. Maybe they were playing it up for the cameras, but they had equipment breaking, poison spraying all over the place and just a general feeling of "OK, uh... yeah, do that and we'll see what happens."

For me it was that as well, but mainly because it made them a perfect match for Mike.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
gently caress yes Deadliest Catch.

I'm amazed that none of the boats managed to find the crab with their first few strings.

Does Deadliest Catch deserve its own season thread? I made one for the first season that went well, but I forget if I revived it for season 2.

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?

Inspector_71 posted:

gently caress yes Deadliest Catch.

I'm amazed that none of the boats managed to find the crab with their first few strings.

That's obviously due to The Curse of the Missing Cup Noodle.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

404GoonNotFound posted:

That's obviously due to The Curse of the Missing Cup Noodle.

And I can't believe Edgar forgot to bite the head off a mackerel for the first string. I expect better from my Vikings.

TheOneVader
Jun 9, 2006

Don't kiss your sister, Son...
Yes, we definitely need a separate thread. This season is off to a good start, especially with the Time Bandit's prank of the Cornelia Marie. Also, I liked the Early Dawn (was that the name?) and the new crabs they were fishing.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
Ok, let's do this: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2826727

eclectic taste
Jun 5, 2004

Future Schmidt
Any love for "Some Assembly Required"? It seems to be a cross between How Its Made and Dirty Jobs, but the jobs aren't dirty. Caught the episode last night with the John Deere factory and the chocolate factory. The host basically goes on a factory tour and gets to do some simple assembly work, too. He's a bit of a gently caress-up (like the guy on Build It Bigger), so that could lead to some fun times. It's also cool because unlike How Its Made, host actually interacts with staff and asks questions.

ANGRY VIRGIN GAMER
Jul 5, 2007

by The Finn
Yeah, that's the only episode so far, I think. I had thought Brian Unger had disappeared from the face of the Earth, and it's good to see him back. I like how to compensate for his gently caress-ups, they have a smart professor-type to actually explain things. It has the potential to be really entertaining.

LordOfThePants
Sep 25, 2002

I thought Some Assembly Required was a regular series? Or was there another show that was like How It's Made with a live host?

I caught "One Way Out" finally, it has the potential to be pretty cool but the guy they've got designing the traps seemed sort of uncomfortable on camera. Also, did anyone else notice the guy who had to hatchet open the door getting slammed by it as the water came pouring out? It's good they had a backup plan but that poor guy just wasn't far enough away from the door.

Also, in case I forget: New episode of Mythbusters on Wednesday, although I think it's just a single episode rather than the start of a new string. Discovery is doing Alaska week, so it's probably an Alaska themed episode.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

LordOfThePants posted:

Also, did anyone else notice the guy who had to hatchet open the door getting slammed by it as the water came pouring out?

Yes, and I laughed heartily. He got decked.

Geekslinger
Jan 30, 2005

Anyone catch the new I Love the World commercial Discovery has been playing the last week or so?

It's fantastic, and unlike most of their blurbs I catch myself watching it every time.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V5BxymuiAxQ

LordOfThePants
Sep 25, 2002

BinaryW00kie posted:

Anyone catch the new I Love the World commercial Discovery has been playing the last week or so?

It's fantastic, and unlike most of their blurbs I catch myself watching it every time.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V5BxymuiAxQ

I like it too - it seems to have coincided with their new logo. There's a couple versions of the commercial with the stars saying different things every time. I love the one where Jamie is sitting there while Adam sings "I love to try new things" and promptly sets Jamie's arm on fire.

Did anyone catch Dirty Jobs last night? They did about 3/4 of the episode on a cod fishing boat in Alaska and they showed how everyone from the crew was horribly, horribly, seasick.

Later they went up on deck to film them hauling in the giant nets full of cod. When they were done the guy said they had to head inside the ship's "factory" to process the cod, and Mike made some comment about how he liked being on deck and was starting to get his sea legs.

He then turned and threw up on Barskey, who was standing right next to him. The timing couldn't have been more perfect.

ANGRY VIRGIN GAMER
Jul 5, 2007

by The Finn
What's up with the "letters from viewers" who apparently have seen the episode before it airs?

Advent Horizon
Jan 17, 2003

I’m back, and for that I am sorry

"The Alaska Experiment" is on right now. The promos looked like crap, and I wasn't going to watch it, but I decided to give it a chance.

It's not too bad. The promos didn't tell me anything about the show, but made it look kind of like they were throwing idiots into man vs wild scenarios. Turns out to be more like Survivorman, which is a much better show.

I do love the bear fear. I guess they have to play up something, but I've been drat close to many an Alaskan bear and never truly felt scared.

Also, "Abandoned Cabin"? :lol: Those cabins have either been maintained regularly, totally refurbished for the show, or newly constructed.

Is it bad that I can recognize many of the places Alaska Week is going to? I can tell where the people on the trail mix ads are at. They're at Independence Mine, which is about 60 miles from where I grew up. I've camped there many a time, gone sledding quite often (there's great snow and always talk about building a ski resort), and gone snowmachining once or twice. Judging by the view through the windows on the preview videos it's also where Adam and Jamie do some sort of cabin fever myth.

Edit: Those daughters on TAE are going to kill their team. The dad knows his poo poo, but the girls are going to drop it before a month.

Advent Horizon fucked around with this message at 06:50 on Apr 23, 2008

Khatib
Nov 12, 2007

Advent Horizon posted:

"The Alaska Experiment" is on right now. The promos looked like crap, and I wasn't going to watch it, but I decided to give it a chance.

I wasn't thinking much of it, but it came on right after Deadliest Catch, so we gave it a shot.

I'm REALLY looking forward to laughing at that trio of city slickers who are 100% clueless. When they were trying to fish, and the one guy just was sticking his rod out through a ton of brush at arms length... I was like... what the gently caress is he ever gonna do if he actually hooks a fish? How is he going to land it without breaking his line? How does he think this works? And then they switched to trying to spear some fish. And I'm thinking... this could get interesting... And the guy starts chunking his lovely crooked tree branches into the water from like 15 feet away like it's going to work. Oh my loving god. Those people are going to STARVE and DIE. And it's going to be loving hilarious watching it happen to them.

I think I love this show.

quote:

Edit: Those daughters on TAE are going to kill their team. The dad knows his poo poo, but the girls are going to drop it before a month.

No poo poo. That poor bastard. They just started eating all the loving food and the one started bitching at him like a crazed harpy over the boots. Talk about your fat piece of poo poo stereotype.

And how the hell do they cast this poo poo? I would have LOVED to have an opportunity like this. And if they can put those clueless city kids and the food mongering fat whores on there, I sure as poo poo could have filled the bill for that show with a friend or two.

And for abandoned cabins... the one with the ram horns on it definitely fits that bill. Yeah they were refurbished for the thing or a couple were just really newer anyways... they mentioned how they went out and stocked them with a set amount of food rations prior to the show. So I'm sure they swept the cabins out, emptied them of everything, and fixed anything major that needed fixing. As well as adding the wood stoves. They mentioned that too. I suppose a couple of them might have just had gas stoves or something set up to have fuel packed in on horses.

I thought they did a decent job of NOT playing up stupid fears. Most shows like this would go with a heavy-handed narrator talking about how risky it all is. They're not. They're just letting the ineptitude of the people shine through, and the bear fear isn't being ratcheted up, these people are just clueless about this stuff and are genuinely scared shitless I think.

Khatib fucked around with this message at 20:50 on Apr 23, 2008

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC
Did anyone see the promos for a show called Patent Benders on the Science Channel? It is like, what Smash Labs could have been. I saw them trying to make a parachute hat as well as loading a golf club with a SHOTGUN SHELL to make the ball go farther.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

ToastyPotato posted:

Did anyone see the promos for a show called Patent Benders on the Science Channel? It is like, what Smash Labs could have been. I saw them trying to make a parachute hat as well as loading a golf club with a SHOTGUN SHELL to make the ball go farther.

That sounds neat. It does sound like Smashlab only it doesn't fellate itself by pretending that its dumb ideas are trying to save the world.

The Human Crouton fucked around with this message at 10:04 on Apr 24, 2008

• Locked thread