Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Boner Buffet
Feb 16, 2006
We're looking to buy an rear end load of mobile computer labs(laptop carts) and by the grace of god it looks like we're going to buy cisco wireless APs and a WLAN controller instead of a stack of dlink access points or something along those lines. Any suggestion on books/websites to get up to speed with Cisco's wireless environment?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jbusbysack
Sep 6, 2002
i heart syd
The cisco ccnp ONT book is pretty good about WLCs and LWAPPs. Honestly though just toy around with the gear, I find it far easier to learn that way.

jwh
Jun 12, 2002

InferiorWang posted:

Any suggestion on books/websites to get up to speed with Cisco's wireless environment?

Can you have somebody fund a pilot ahead of time? We just got a lot of Cisco's lightweight wireless stuff in a few months back, and I haven't been very impressed. If you're only buying a single controller, be advised the 2106 will only support 5 AP's I think, and only provides PoE on two of it's 8 ports.

Additionally, be advised that if you have a reason to support more than a dozen controllers, you almost have to start looking at WCS, which is a real big ticket item, and also it's very own obnoxious pain in the rear end.

If you have any specific questions I'll do my best to answer. There are other people here that know more than I do about the lightweight wireless equipment also.

quote:

So why do you "not recommend" using MLPPP to form a big pipe out of dissimilar interfaces? We already do a lot of multiple-T1 bonding with MLPPP. It just doesn't make sense to have 4xT1 circuits just so that two people can VPN in while the office gets a 6mb download speed.
My understanding is that you do not want to run into out-of-order arrival problems with an MLPPP bundle, and that that is more likely to happen when you mix and match interfaces with different serialization delays and end-to-end latencies.

jbusbysack
Sep 6, 2002
i heart syd

jwh posted:

Can you have somebody fund a pilot ahead of time? We just got a lot of Cisco's lightweight wireless stuff in a few months back, and I haven't been very impressed. If you're only buying a single controller, be advised the 2106 will only support 5 AP's I think, and only provides PoE on two of it's 8 ports.

Additionally, be advised that if you have a reason to support more than a dozen controllers, you almost have to start looking at WCS, which is a real big ticket item, and also it's very own obnoxious pain in the rear end.

Not to nit-pick but 2106 will do 6 APs and yes has 2 PoE ports. However you can jam the AP into any old PoE switch and as long as its vlan is trunked across your network that AP can live wherever it needs to be. So you don't have to be restricted by the 2 PoE rule.

For small offices, I am a big fan of the 2106 - however WCS is both awesome and expensive, not exactly in the small/mid market space.

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry

jwh posted:

My understanding is that you do not want to run into out-of-order arrival problems with an MLPPP bundle, and that that is more likely to happen when you mix and match interfaces with different serialization delays and end-to-end latencies.

Ahh that makes sense. I'd guess that the router would freak out, error out, or just lock the connection until things arrived in order, and all three of those scenarios are equally bad. I'll stick to bundling same interfaces, but it would be nice if I could find some simple ingress load-balancing.

Boner Buffet
Feb 16, 2006

jwh posted:

As what jbusbysack said, I was under the impression that I can inegrate the WLAN controller into my LAN, and run the APs off of POE switches. If there's one thing we have now, we have a poo poo ton of available POE ports.

We really have to go wireless with these laptop carts, regardless of manufacturer, so that's the scope of this wireless project. We're not doing all of our schools, or even all of the school where these carts will live. In essence, this is almost like a pilot program. I'd prefer to stick with Cisco instead of rolling out cheap consumer grade APs and management seems to agree.

According to what is being spec'ed out(which I wasn't involved with at any high level, but will of course be tasked to maintain) is a 4400 series controller and 1131 APs.

loosewire
May 16, 2004

This is The MAN
Grimey Drawer
Quick question

using Redundant Supervisor 32's in a 6513 is it possible to run an ethernet connection from both supervisors inbuilt wired ethernet ports to an identical unit and have them both work at the same time (i.e a gigabit etherchannel) or will it only work with the active supervisor ?

jbusbysack
Sep 6, 2002
i heart syd

loosewire posted:

Quick question

using Redundant Supervisor 32's in a 6513 is it possible to run an ethernet connection from both supervisors inbuilt wired ethernet ports to an identical unit and have them both work at the same time (i.e a gigabit etherchannel) or will it only work with the active supervisor ?

If I read this right - you want to etherchannel a port on each supervisor to another 6513? If so - yes that works. Blades 5 and 6 are each respective SUP720 (and a fiber port).

Port-channel: Po1
------------

Age of the Port-channel = 67d:06h:11m:16s
Logical slot/port = 14/1 Number of ports = 3
GC = 0x00010001 HotStandBy port = null
Port state = Port-channel Ag-Inuse
Protocol = PAgP
Fast-switchover = disabled

Ports in the Port-channel:

Index Load Port EC state No of bits
------+------+------+------------------+-----------
1 49 Gi4/24 Desirable-Sl 3
2 92 Gi5/2 Desirable-Sl 3
0 24 Gi6/2 Desirable-Sl 2

Time since last port bundled: 67d:05h:53m:42s Gi4/24
Time since last port Un-bundled: 67d:05h:54m:01s Gi4/24

Spazz
Nov 17, 2005

jbusbysack posted:

The cisco ccnp ONT book is pretty good about WLCs and LWAPPs. Honestly though just toy around with the gear, I find it far easier to learn that way.

I haven't dived hard into the CCNP curriculum yet, and I've only been douching around with it so far and I've learned a LOT just doing that alone. I suggest people do that before they get into the curriculum just so they can get an idea of how to work it all, the CLI, etc.

brent78
Jun 23, 2004

I killed your cat, you druggie bitch.
I'm seeing poor speeds over an ipsec tunnel between two Cisco 3825's. I noticed that our DFS shares at each location are only replicating at about half the speed they should. I have outbound QOS on the routers set to 10 Mbit, however I never really see more than 5 Mbit. This got me thinking that maybe it's a MTU issue? netperf shows double the speed when using a udp_stream over tcp.

netperf -t TCP_STREAM -H rwc-vm-dev
Recv Send Send
Socket Socket Message Elapsed
Size Size Size Time Throughput
bytes bytes bytes secs. 10^6bits/sec

87380 16384 16384 10.10 500.21

netperf -t UDP_STREAM -H rwc-vm-dev
Socket Message Elapsed Messages
Size Size Time Okay Errors Throughput
bytes bytes secs # # 10^6bits/sec

126976 65507 10.00 18319 0 959.94
126976 10.00 0 0.00

jbusbysack
Sep 6, 2002
i heart syd

brent78 posted:

words... ipsec tunnel between two Cisco 3825's... words

nevermind, just read IPSEC tunnel, not metro ethernet like I thought.

inignot
Sep 1, 2003

WWBCD?

brent78 posted:

This got me thinking that maybe it's a MTU issue?

Stick "ip tcp adjust-mss 1400" on both ends for a quick check/fix. Alternately sniff the traffic before it goes into the tunnel to see if there is an mtu issue. Most of the time when I have mtu over VPN problems, things just don't work as opposed to performing badly. You do have hardware acceleration for the crypto right? Hell, add compression to the crypto transform just for shits and giggles.

brent78
Jun 23, 2004

I killed your cat, you druggie bitch.

jbusbysack posted:

nevermind, just read IPSEC tunnel, not metro ethernet like I thought.
The two connect over metro ethernet... if that matter or not.

jbusbysack
Sep 6, 2002
i heart syd

brent78 posted:

The two connect over metro ethernet... if that matter or not.

I was going to say crank the MTU and window-size for the servers way up if you control the entire metro run. Basically you can kind of fake what a Bluecoat box does.

XMalaclypseX
Nov 18, 2002
On a ASA 5505, how can you make anything from the outside interface ping anything on the inside interface without doing a 1-to-1 nat rule for each host?

ASA Version 8.0(3)
!
hostname ciscoasa
domain-name default.domain.invalid
enable password 8Ry2YjIyt7RRXU24 encrypted
names
!
interface Vlan1
nameif inside
security-level 100
ip address 192.168.20.2 255.255.255.0
!
interface Vlan2
nameif outside
security-level 0
ip address 192.168.25.1 255.255.255.0
!
interface Ethernet0/0
switchport access vlan 2
!
interface Ethernet0/1
!
interface Ethernet0/2
!
interface Ethernet0/3
!
interface Ethernet0/4
!
interface Ethernet0/5
!
interface Ethernet0/6
!
interface Ethernet0/7
!
passwd 2KFQnbNIdI.2KYOU encrypted
boot system disk0:/asa803-k8.bin
ftp mode passive
dns server-group DefaultDNS
domain-name default.domain.invalid
access-list inside_access_in extended permit ip any any
access-list outside_access_in extended permit ip any any
pager lines 24
logging asdm informational
mtu inside 1500
mtu outside 1500
icmp unreachable rate-limit 1 burst-size 1
asdm image disk0:/asdm-603.bin
no asdm history enable
arp timeout 14400
global (outside) 1 interface
nat (inside) 1 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0
access-group inside_access_in in interface inside
access-group outside_access_in in interface outside
route outside 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 192.168.25.2 1
timeout xlate 3:00:00
timeout conn 1:00:00 half-closed 0:10:00 udp 0:02:00 icmp 0:00:02
timeout sunrpc 0:10:00 h323 0:05:00 h225 1:00:00 mgcp 0:05:00 mgcp-pat 0:05:00
timeout sip 0:30:00 sip_media 0:02:00 sip-invite 0:03:00 sip-disconnect 0:02:00
timeout uauth 0:05:00 absolute
dynamic-access-policy-record DfltAccessPolicy
http server enable
http 192.168.20.0 255.255.255.0 inside
no snmp-server location
no snmp-server contact
snmp-server enable traps snmp authentication linkup linkdown coldstart
telnet timeout 5
ssh timeout 5
console timeout 0
dhcpd auto_config outside
!

threat-detection basic-threat
threat-detection statistics access-list
!
class-map inspection_default
match default-inspection-traffic
!
!
policy-map type inspect dns preset_dns_map
parameters
message-length maximum 512
policy-map global_policy
class inspection_default
inspect dns preset_dns_map
inspect ftp
inspect h323 h225
inspect h323 ras
inspect rsh
inspect rtsp
inspect esmtp
inspect sqlnet
inspect skinny
inspect sunrpc
inspect xdmcp
inspect sip
inspect netbios
inspect tftp
!
service-policy global_policy global
prompt hostname context
Cryptochecksum:d88d8f3e3ed7472e6e1d8b9e9edfdd6e
: end

Tremblay
Oct 8, 2002
More dog whistles than a Petco

XMalaclypseX posted:

On a ASA 5505, how can you make anything from the outside interface ping anything on the inside interface without doing a 1-to-1 nat rule for each host?

<snip>

Traffic from a lower security interface requires:

static NAT
Permits in the low security interface's ACL

For ICMP also toss in "inspect icmp"

Think about it, how could it possibly work without using statics?

XMalaclypseX
Nov 18, 2002

Tremblay posted:

Traffic from a lower security interface requires:

static NAT
Permits in the low security interface's ACL

For ICMP also toss in "inspect icmp"

Think about it, how could it possibly work without using statics?

Just wondering if it could be made to work like a regular router. I'm new to Cisco stuff.

Tremblay
Oct 8, 2002

XMalaclypseX posted:

Just wondering if it could be made to work like a regular router. I'm new to Cisco stuff.

Even on a regular router doing PAT what you've said wouldn't work.

jwh
Jun 12, 2002

Tremblay posted:

Even on a regular router doing PAT what you've said wouldn't work.

If you connect two networks with a PIX or ASA, and you configure the interfaces with the same security level, will the PIX route between the two networks without explicit NAT configuration? I've never had reason to try to do it.

jbusbysack
Sep 6, 2002
i heart syd

jwh posted:

If you connect two networks with a PIX or ASA, and you configure the interfaces with the same security level, will the PIX route between the two networks without explicit NAT configuration? I've never had reason to try to do it.

With same-security-traffic permit inter-interface and/or same-security-traffic permit intra-interface you can. Otherwise no.

Tremblay
Oct 8, 2002

jbusbysack posted:

With same-security-traffic permit inter-interface and/or same-security-traffic permit intra-interface you can. Otherwise no.

^ What he said. No way in PIX 6 and earlier, but 7+ it works.

XMalaclypseX
Nov 18, 2002
Ok. Thanks a lot. That worked fine.

I am still having one major problem which tied into the last one. I am using a dual layer firewall layout on both a HQ and Remote site. We have a PTP T1 link on the internal network and the outer firewalls are linked via a site-to-site vpn in the case of failure of the T1. The VPN seems to be working correctly but I may have a routing problem.

For clarity, with the T1 disabled heres what can ping:

192.168.15.2 can ping to 192.168.10.0
192.168.10.0 can ping to 192.168.25.1

192.168.25.2 can ping to 192.168.20.0
192.168.20.0 can ping to 192.168.15.1

192.168.10.0 cannot ping to 192.168.20.0
192.168.20.0 cannot ping to 192.168.10.0

Everything has internet access and all firewall rules are ANY IP IN, ANY IP OUT.

We've tried putting these routes in on the inside firewalls and they don't work.
route outside 192.168.20.0 255.255.255.0 192.168.25.1 1

route outside 192.168.11.0 255.255.255.0 192.168.15.1 1
route outside 192.168.10.0 255.255.255.0 192.168.15.1 1

Thanks for any help you can provide.

edit: Nevermind. Figured it out.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

XMalaclypseX fucked around with this message at 14:30 on Apr 15, 2008

XakEp
Dec 20, 2002
Amor est vitae essentia

I've got a 3524XL thats giving me grief. I cannot figure this one out. All the ports are in Vlan1, and there are no other vlans. The devices can pull an IP address from the PIX firewall, but they cant ping each other or see each other at all. They can get out to the internet with no problems. Ideas?

jwh
Jun 12, 2002

XakEp posted:

I've got a 3524XL thats giving me grief. I cannot figure this one out. All the ports are in Vlan1, and there are no other vlans. The devices can pull an IP address from the PIX firewall, but they cant ping each other or see each other at all. They can get out to the internet with no problems. Ideas?

pvlan going on?

jbusbysack
Sep 6, 2002
i heart syd

XakEp posted:

I'd say the best way to troubleshoot this would be to change the vlan to something arbitrary like 40, like jwh said about private vlans. I was going to suggest incomplete arp entries on the mac-address-table but if the PIX gave it an IP I don't think that applies.

Is vlan1 a layer 3 network different from what the PIX gave out? The only thing I can think of is that the addresses attempt to find each other but they cannot find a gateway. Try something that floods native layer 2 broadcasts (like a chatty domain controller) and see if they show up on the other hosts' wireshark logs.

jbusbysack fucked around with this message at 00:23 on Apr 14, 2008

XakEp
Dec 20, 2002
Amor est vitae essentia

jwh posted:

pvlan going on?

Not that I'm aware of. I've reset the config, and its still doing it.

Midnj
Jul 27, 2002
JUST GET A FREAKIN MAC DURRRRRR
XakEp, can you post the config?

jwh
Jun 12, 2002

XakEp posted:

Not that I'm aware of. I've reset the config, and its still doing it.

Windows firewall? :)

XakEp
Dec 20, 2002
Amor est vitae essentia

Midnj posted:

XakEp, can you post the config?

I'll grab it when I get home tonight. There's nothing in it to speak of, its been reset to default config and its still not working.

jwh posted:

Windows firewall? :)

Not likely. I can plug them into my linksys broadband router (not being used on my network so dont give me poo poo) and the problem goes away. In fact, I can plug into any other switch and it works. PVLANs arent setup by default are they?

ragzilla
Sep 9, 2005
don't ask me, i only work here

XakEp posted:

Not likely. I can plug them into my linksys broadband router (not being used on my network so dont give me poo poo) and the problem goes away. In fact, I can plug into any other switch and it works. PVLANs arent setup by default are they?

Not unless it's stored in the vlan database. If you don't mind fully resetting the switch, try the following commands while enabled:

code:
write erase
delete flash:/vlan.dat
reload
which will kill the current config, and the vlan database (so if you've added any vlans you'll need to re-add them).

XakEp
Dec 20, 2002
Amor est vitae essentia

I'll go ahead and do this when I get home - I'll post up when I do this. Thanks!

XakEp
Dec 20, 2002
Amor est vitae essentia

Girdle Wax posted:

Not unless it's stored in the vlan database. If you don't mind fully resetting the switch, try the following commands while enabled:

code:
write erase
delete flash:/vlan.dat
reload
which will kill the current config, and the vlan database (so if you've added any vlans you'll need to re-add them).

Didnt work.

Here's the config.

code:
Switch#sh run
Building configuration...

Current configuration:
!
version 12.0
no service pad
service timestamps debug uptime
service timestamps log uptime
no service password-encryption
!
hostname Switch
!
no logging console
enable secret 5 $1$XsvB$0Sf9hqay/HGtflQKFpoja0
!
!
!
!
!
!
ip subnet-zero
!
!
!
interface FastEthernet0/1
!
interface FastEthernet0/2
!
interface FastEthernet0/3
!
interface FastEthernet0/4
!
interface FastEthernet0/5
!
interface FastEthernet0/6
!
interface FastEthernet0/7
!
interface FastEthernet0/8
!
interface FastEthernet0/9
!
interface FastEthernet0/10
!
interface FastEthernet0/11
!
interface FastEthernet0/12
!
interface FastEthernet0/13
!
interface FastEthernet0/14
!
interface FastEthernet0/15
!
interface FastEthernet0/16
!
interface FastEthernet0/17
!
interface FastEthernet0/18
!
interface FastEthernet0/19
!
interface FastEthernet0/20
!
interface FastEthernet0/21
!
interface FastEthernet0/22
!
interface FastEthernet0/23
!
interface FastEthernet0/24
!
interface GigabitEthernet0/1
!
interface GigabitEthernet0/2
!
interface VLAN1
 ip address 172.16.15.25 255.255.0.0
 ip directed-broadcast
 no ip route-cache
!
!
line con 0
 exec-timeout 0 0
 transport input none
 stopbits 1
line vty 0 4
 password cisco
 no login
 transport input telnet
line vty 5 15
 login
!
end

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

XakEp posted:

code:
Switch#sh run
!
interface VLAN1
 ip address 172.16.15.25 255.255.0.0
 ip directed-broadcast
 no ip route-cache
!

I doubt it matters with vlan1, but have you tried entering "vlan 1" ?

XakEp
Dec 20, 2002
Amor est vitae essentia

H110Hawk posted:

I doubt it matters with vlan1, but have you tried entering "vlan 1" ?

Entering it for what?

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

XakEp posted:

Entering it for what?

Just enter it in as a configuration line, then bail out.

conf t
vlan 1
exit/^z/whatever.

XakEp
Dec 20, 2002
Amor est vitae essentia

H110Hawk posted:

Just enter it in as a configuration line, then bail out.

conf t
vlan 1
exit/^z/whatever.

Its gotta be Vlan1

tortilla_chip
Jun 13, 2007

k-partite

XakEp posted:

What does a dir /all show?

XakEp
Dec 20, 2002
Amor est vitae essentia

tortilla_chip posted:

What does a dir /all show?

code:
Switch#dir
Directory of flash:/

2  -rwx     1809168   Mar 01 1993 00:18:25  c3500xl-c3h2s-mz.120-5.WC10.bin
  3  -rwx       94375   Apr 30 2001 14:54:49  c3500XL-diag-mz-120-5.3.WC.1
  4  drwx       10176   Mar 01 1993 00:09:18  html
  5  -rwx         272   Jan 01 1970 00:00:26  env_vars
  6  -rwx         111   Mar 01 1993 00:03:29  info
167  -rwx        1244   Mar 01 1993 08:58:45  config.text
166  -rwx         111   Mar 01 1993 00:09:18  info.ver
169  -rwx         824   Mar 01 1993 00:02:56  vtp

3612672 bytes total (419328 bytes free)
Switch#

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

I'm looking for a Cisco router for internal testing, one functional requirement is for PGM Router Assist, however only the 12.0(5)T notes list supported platforms, and most of those are now eol:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/ios/12_0t/12_0t5/feature/guide/pgmscale.html

quote:

•Cisco 1600 series
•Cisco 2500 series
•Cisco 2600 series
•Cisco 3600 series
•Cisco 3800 series
•Cisco 4000 series (Cisco 4000, 4000-M, 4500, 4500-M, 4700, 4700-M)
•Cisco 7200 series
•Cisco 7500 series
•Cisco 12000 series

What is the cheapest model I could get today that supports PGM Router Assist, performance not an issue? I have quote at HK$74,100 for the 3825. Network diagram would be something like this:
code:
   .                Cisco
  WiFi AP        Router
     |            ||
  pfSense         ||
  firewall -- HP ProCurve 2848 == Alteon Blade switch
     |                              |
     |                              |
 MGMT VLAN -------------------------+
Cisco in HK have no clue :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pussy Noise
Aug 1, 2003

I don't have any general answer, but I just checked on my plaything 1841, and it can do PGM Router Assist. It's running IOS version 12.4(5), advipservices feature set. I bet you could get a 1841 for significantly cheaper than HK$74,100.

Have you looked at the Cisco feature navigator at http://tools.cisco.com/ITDIT/CFN/jsp/index.jsp?