Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Self Important
Mar 1, 2008
Ive wanted to get into Pratchett for awhile but there's so MUCH I don't know where to start :/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dirty Frank
Jul 8, 2004

Self Important posted:

Ive wanted to get into Pratchett for awhile but there's so MUCH I don't know where to start :/
Have a look at the Reading order guide.

Then depending on the answer to these questions:

Do you like fantasy in general? Y > Read in release order.
Do you like Detective Shows? Y > Start on the Watch arc.
Do you like the idea of Death as a character? Y > Start on the Death arc.
Do you like witches? Y > Start on the Witches arc.
Else > Start with Small Gods.

Basically the first two books are parodies of Fantasy so if you don't like fantasy they won't do much for you, small gods is very stand alone and very good and the main arcs are a matter of taste, they're all good. In fact you can't really go wrong.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Mort is usually the best 'start' novel. It's a good introduction to Discworld concepts without being just fantasy parody like the first couple of books.

Also, Wyrd Sisters, or Guards! Guards!

Keshik
Oct 27, 2000

Eunabomber posted:

Jeremy Irons performance as Vetinari

That was a loving travesty, and I thought he could not have done a worse job. Five seconds prior to seeing that performance, I'd have said he was perfect for the role in every respect. Five seconds after it started, I wanted to know why the gently caress he was slurring with a lisp so bad that I couldn't understand a single word he said.

daggerdragon
Jan 22, 2006

My titan engine can kick your titan engine's ass.

Keshik posted:

That was a loving travesty, and I thought he could not have done a worse job.

Can I just say Eragon and Dungeons & Dragons?

LooseChanj
Feb 17, 2006

Logicaaaaaaaaal!

Keshik posted:

That was a loving travesty, and I thought he could not have done a worse job. Five seconds prior to seeing that performance, I'd have said he was perfect for the role in every respect. Five seconds after it started, I wanted to know why the gently caress he was slurring with a lisp so bad that I couldn't understand a single word he said.

I didn't think he was all that bad, but I've always sort of imagined Bill Nighy in that role. But Rincewind...well, let's just say I always imagine him as something like The Dude in the Big Lebowski so the guy in this was just awful.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Keshik posted:

Five seconds after it started, I wanted to know why the gently caress he was slurring with a lisp so bad that I couldn't understand a single word he said.

Because that's how Terry talks. He was doing an impression. It doesn't make it any less stupid, I agree.

Eunabomber
Dec 30, 2002

The_Doctor posted:

Because that's how Terry talks. He was doing an impression. It doesn't make it any less stupid, I agree.

Yeah, even his normal voice is kind of weird and high.

I think the only part of the palace scene that looked like it does in my head was Wuffles.

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan
Nighy as Vetinari and Jeff Bridges as Rincewind :swoon:

On another note, go Help Cure Alzheimers goddammit!

Also, let's cast actors in various Discworld roles!

I think Maggie Smith would make a decent Granny Weatherwax.
I think Eastwood could play older Sam Vimes, but I don't know who'd play him in the younger stories.

Who would play Moist?

LooseChanj
Feb 17, 2006

Logicaaaaaaaaal!

Moist von Lipwig posted:

I think Eastwood could play older Sam Vimes, but I don't know who'd play him in the younger stories.

Who would play Moist?

Bill Pullman as Vimes all around. I haven't met Moist yet, but The Truth is in my to-read pile. I'm eager to get to it, I haven't seen a new arc in bloody ages.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

LooseChanj posted:

Bill Pullman as Vimes all around.

What crack are you smoking?

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler

LooseChanj posted:

Bill Pullman as Vimes all around. I haven't met Moist yet, but The Truth is in my to-read pile. I'm eager to get to it, I haven't seen a new arc in bloody ages.

Moist isn't in The Truth, the main character in that is William de Worde.

LooseChanj
Feb 17, 2006

Logicaaaaaaaaal!

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

Moist isn't in The Truth, the main character in that is William de Worde.

Durrr. :suicide: It's still a new character and I'm excited to get to it!

thrakkorzog
Nov 16, 2007

Moist von Lipwig posted:

Nighy as Vetinari and Jeff Bridges as Rincewind :swoon:

On another note, go Help Cure Alzheimers goddammit!

Who would play Moist?

As much as I hate to play around in casting discussions, but I've been doing a Battlestar Galactica marathon recently, and I think Michael Hogan, a.k.a Col. Tigh would make a pretty good Vimes. He can play a great functional alcoholic, can boss people around like nobody's business, and can sport an eyepatch and not come off as a jaunty sailor.

Give him a British accent and he would be perfect. What I wouldn't give to have a Col. Tigh reading of "Where's my Cow?"

thrakkorzog fucked around with this message at 09:17 on Apr 12, 2008

Keshik
Oct 27, 2000

I was thinking about things, and I came up with a really good Vetinari. Andy Garcia. Also, Patrick Stewart as Leonard of Quirm.

Now, you guys can discuss Vimes all you want, and there are many actors who I am sure would do a fine job.

A real question is who could play Captain Carrot?

I mean, where are you going to find a guy who's six and a half feet tall, built of pure solid muscle, and exudes the kind of on-screen charisma that will make people believe that, against all possibility, this guy is friends with everyone he meets.

LooseChanj
Feb 17, 2006

Logicaaaaaaaaal!

Keshik posted:

A real question is who could play Captain Carrot?

It sure as hell isn't Viggo Mortinson.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I think that Christian Bale could pull off Carrot pretty well, based on a balance of his performances in American Psycho and Batman Begins.

Reverend Werewolf
Aug 14, 2004
I got a fevah
I always pictured Vimes as Pete Postlethwaite

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Would it be too obvious to say that Alan Rickman would be the perfect Vetinari?

Feb 28, 2007

1️⃣
Just another number.

Reverend Werewolf posted:

I always pictured Vimes as Pete Postlethwaite

Hey, so does Pratchett, according the The Art of Discworld.

Strangely enough I've always pictured Vimes as David Jason, falling somewhere between Del Boy and Jack Frost. He's a pretty poor choice for Albert, and an absolutely abysmal choice for Rincewind, but I'd quite happily accept him as Vimes so long as he could play it straight.

daggerdragon
Jan 22, 2006

My titan engine can kick your titan engine's ass.

precision posted:

Would it be too obvious to say that Alan Rickman would be the perfect Vetinari?

Only if he smiles more for this role. He plays the silent scowling bad guy well enough, let's have a role change! I know he CAN smile, ffs...

EvilUrchin
Jun 13, 2007

Sigmar's Fist: 5 Star Crash Rating
Actually, I'd pick Tim Curry for Vetinari myself, although perhaps a playing it a bit more reserved than he usually does. As for Carrot...I dunno, I personally think it would be best to go for a relative unknown for him. Someone that people have preconcieved notions of simply wouldn't work for that role the way I see it.

Mitthrawnuruodo
Apr 10, 2007

You have no fucking idea how hungry I am
Jeremy Irons looked exactly like I had imagined Vetinari, literally exactly. Voice pissed me off, though, I hope he doesn't do it the whole time in Going Postal.

Leospeare
Jun 27, 2003
I lack the ability to think of a creative title.

Moist von Lipwig posted:

As long as Maggie Smith uses a colder, harder voice than she does as McGonnaggal, she'd be perfect. She's excellent in the Potter movies but I find the voice she uses a bit annoying. Physically she's spot on. The only other person I could see pulling it off really well is Helen Mirren.

Also in the category of "Awesome old British people who have a serious disease, nooooo, drat you cruel fate", Maggie Smith is fighting breast cancer right now. :(

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
I think Patsy Byrne could make a convincing Nanny Ogg.

If they ever do adapt one of the Witches books, they'll probably cast some some stunningly attractive young actress as Magrat, but I hope they don't, it seems like she's supposed to be much more homely.

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Looks like someone forgot his hardhat...

Entropic posted:

I think Patsy Byrne could make a convincing Nanny Ogg.

If they ever do adapt one of the Witches books, they'll probably cast some some stunningly attractive young actress as Magrat, but I hope they don't, it seems like she's supposed to be much more homely.

Nanny Ogg has to be likeable though.

I swear to God my Granny was the exact spit of Nanny Ogg; she owned a pub, was well-known and liked for miles around and was always smiling and having a craic. She even looked alike.
Except for the, y'know, sexual deviancy and witchcraft bit. That ... that never happened.

Capn_Marrrrk
Apr 12, 2007
Yarrrr!

Nilbop posted:

Nanny Ogg has to be likeable though.

I swear to God my Granny was the exact spit of Nanny Ogg; she owned a pub, was well-known and liked for miles around and was always smiling and having a craic. She even looked alike.
Except for the, y'know, sexual deviancy and witchcraft bit. That ... that never happened..

I know you're waiting to for someone to say, "Suuuuuurrrre it didn't". But remember
your Gran had to get poked least once. How do you know it wasn't during a full-moon for the purpose of making a Moon Child?

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan
:frogsiren:HOLY poo poo!:frogsiren:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Nation-Terry-Pratchett/dp/0385613709/ref=pd_sbs_b_njs_img_2

Nation release date and summary on amazon!

ThaGhettoJew
Jul 4, 2003

The world is a ghetto

Moist von Lipwig posted:

:frogsiren:HOLY poo poo!:frogsiren:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Nation-Terry-Pratchett/dp/0385613709/ref=pd_sbs_b_njs_img_2

Nation release date and summary on amazon!

The book name is "Nation" and it's being released on September 11th? I wonder if the US release date will be altered....

It looks like it's one of his children's/Young-Adult titles, and not connected to either Discworld, the Bromeliad, or Johnny. I suspect I will buy and enjoy it anyway.

Anyway, here's the synopsis for the click-averse:

Amazon posted:

Finding himself alone on a desert island when everything and everyone he knows and loved has been washed away in a huge storm, Mau is the last surviving member of his nation. He's also completely alone - or so he thinks until he finds the ghost girl. She has no toes, wears strange lacy trousers like the grandfather bird and gives him a stick which can make fire. Daphne, sole survivor of the wreck of the Sweet Judy, almost immediately regrets trying to shoot the native boy. Thank goodness the powder was wet and the gun only produced a spark. She's certain her father, distant cousin of the Royal family, will come and rescue her but it seems, for now, all she has for company is the boy and the foul-mouthed ship's parrot. As it happens, they are not alone for long.Other survivors start to arrive to take refuge on the island they all call the Nation and then raiders accompanied by murderous mutineers from the Sweet Judy. Together, Mau and Daphne discover some remarkable things - including how to milk a pig and why spitting in beer is a good thing - and start to forge a new Nation.

As can be expected from Terry Pratchett, the master story-teller, this new children's novel is both witty and wise, encompassing themes of death and nationhood, while being extremely funny. Mau's ancestors have something to teach us all. Mau just wishes they would shut up about it and let him get on with saving everyone's lives!
(Spoilered for the persnickety.)

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan

ThaGhettoJew posted:

The book name is "Nation" and it's being released on September 11th? I wonder if the US release date will be altered....

I pointed this out earlier in the thread, I thought it might be significant.

ThaGhettoJew
Jul 4, 2003

The world is a ghetto

Moist von Lipwig posted:

I pointed this out earlier in the thread, I thought it might be significant.

Apologies, must have passed over your earlier note. In any case, I hope it isn't significant. The synopsis doesn't seem to coincide at all. It looks even farther away than Jingo or Thud in theme.

LooseChanj
Feb 17, 2006

Logicaaaaaaaaal!
Just finished the Truth, and I really hope I haven't seen the last of the A-M Times. It was just such a fun ride, and I loved de Worde's interactions with Vimes.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
I just finished Jingo, so I'm well on the I-heart-Vimes bandwagon now.

So let me just see if I have the approximate analogical geography right...

Lancre ~ Scotland
Genua ~ France, Louisiana
Agatean Empire ~ China, Japan
Klatch ~ Arabia, India
XXXX ~ Australia
Uberwald ~ Transylvania (took me ages to work out the wordplay there)

what'd I miss out?

Adversary
Jun 9, 2007
Not sick, but not well

Entropic posted:

Lancre ~ Scotland
Klatch ~ Arabia, India
XXXX ~ Australia

what'd I miss out?

For some reason I always considered Lancre a bit more Welsh than Scottish. i don't know why...

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Adversary posted:

For some reason I always considered Lancre a bit more Welsh than Scottish. i don't know why...

Well, it's definitely rural UK, but Wyrd Sisters pretty much established it as a MacBethian Scotland setting of sorts.

Wales is Llamedos, where Imp came from in Soul Music, isn't it?

weavernaut
Sep 12, 2007

i'm so glad to have made such an interesting new friend
Uberwald is Eastern Europe, in particular the USSR/former USSR.

At least, that's what I got from Fifth Elephant.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
I think Lancre is just generic British-Isle hillbilly with no particular cultural cultural origin.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
Well, most places on the disc are sort of general mish-mashes of real places with their own Discworldian twist, it's not as if there's a one-to-one correspondence.

Bob Ojeda
Apr 15, 2008

I AM A WHINY LITTLE EMOTIONAL BITCH BABY WITH NO SENSE OF HUMOR

IF YOU SEE ME POSTING REMIND ME TO SHUT THE FUCK UP

Entropic posted:

Lancre ~ Scotland
Klatch ~ Arabia, India
XXXX ~ Australia

what'd I miss out?
Djelibeybi is Egypt, Ephebe is Greece, Tsort is Rome. I think.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hentaikid
May 18, 2005

by Peatpot

Terry Pratchett posted:

I can't remember the guy's name, but I've always pictured the Patrician as looking like the father in Beetlejuice -- the man also played the Emperor of Austria in Amadeus.

Jeffrey Jones (As well as Alan Rickman) was Terry's casting choice for Vetinari, at least some years ago