Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr. Moon
Oct 22, 2007
The sky is deep and dark and eternally high...

Gassire posted:

Honestly I've just tried to ignore this whole thing because I hate alignment. All I've ever really seen it used for is a shield when one party member decides to gently caress over the others. The paladin code is simple, Act with Honor in all Things. It's to their strength and to their weakness, and heroes are more defined by their weaknesses than their strengths. The poison sword scenario would definitely be grounds for permanent power loss, lying, cheating, using poison and likely killing someone in a non fatal game? All for his own vanity? What would a paladin have to do in your games to lose his powers?

Yeah I was too lenient there. I was trying to come at it from a "not loving over the players but not being too lenient" angle and overshot. I probably would take a paladin's powers for that, thinking on it properly. I guess "using a poisoned sword to defeat a deadly opponent easily in a life-or-death situation" was where I was going, but even then I'm not sure.

Maybe I'm harsher on paladins than I thought v:shobon:v

In any case, I think we ought to lay the whole paladin thing to rest as it is getting a bit overwrought.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

green leaf salad posted:

People love talking about paladins. They are apparently the most contentious subject this thread will ever know!

We had a pretty great blow-out about alignment that one time, but I think it might have been a previous thread. This is a good one, though!

rocketrobot
Jul 11, 2003

Winson_Paine posted:

Welcome to being a nerd.

You're about 16 years too late, buddy. :mad:

Kahrytes
Jun 4, 2004

Now I need a drink. Not this one. Another one. And in a different place.

Mr. Moon posted:

It's less easy when you've been handed a poisoned sword to use in a tournament that would ensure your victory. I'd expect a paladin to refuse the poisoned sword in that case, even if it meant a harder fight for him.

Bah! That's where the fun begins!

In the tournament, then the Paladin draws the sword, but explicitly doesn't use it like a sword. I'd have a good ol' time with that. First fight- Shield bashing only! Take that -4 and kick rear end anyway! Second fight, use only the butt of the sword's handle! Third fight, flat of the sword! Fourth fight, fight with the sword still in the sheath!

You can have a load of fun by loving with things, even as a Paladin.

Edit: This is assuming you are told to use the sword or else.

Kahrytes fucked around with this message at 19:35 on Apr 9, 2008

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

This entire discussion is why every D&D game I've ever run has had the same house rule. I call it the "gently caress alignment" rule, and all of my players love me for it.

For the few that have wanted to play as paladins, we've always worked out a code based on the deity that they worship. Turns out this is more or less the same method that 4th edition is going with.

Which I find awesome.

Gally
May 31, 2001

Come on!
NEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEERDS.

Talk like this is why I stopped playing DnD. Too much letter of the law WHY ARE WE STILL TALKING ABOUT THIS whining.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

A smile better suits a hero

To be fair, revealing information to a clearly evil enemy that would result in further damage to reality and therefore untold innocents could be seen as an act of evil. O-Chul is trying to stonewall them wholesale, to give them nothing that could further their cause, while at the same time trying to stay alive so that he can help defend his people and his city, which he is sworn to do. To me, it sounds like tremendously reasonable behavior for a Paladin.

Scopedog
Sep 4, 2006

by The Finn

Ashcans posted:

We had a pretty great blow-out about alignment that one time...
That's pretty much what this Paladin thing is, only more so. Alignment is just a less well-defined version of the Paladin's code-of-conduct.

Vicissitude
Jan 26, 2004

You ever do the chicken dance at a wake? That really bothers people.
You guys seem to be quoting the PHB a lot, but you seem to have missed something:

Player's Handbook posted:

'Evil' implies hurting, oppressing and killing others

'Lying' also gets 4 paragraphs of its own in the Book of Vile Darkness. The last is really the only one relevant to this topic:

Book of Vile Darkness posted:

Lying is not necessarily an evil act, though it is an act that can easily be used for evil ends. Lying is so easy to use for evil purposes that most knightly codes and the creeds of many good religions forbid it altogether

Now, I'll grant you that it may be banned by the Sapphire Guard's credo, but as a Paladin, would it be disallowed by the 12 Gods? The gods have to weigh each Paladin's faith as they go about their holy ways. Otherwise, O-Chul would have gotten zapped like Miko had, losing his powers. But he didn't, so the 12 Gods must not have seen his lie as an evil act, or, at least, they didn't see it to be a gross violation of the Paladin oath.

Beyond that, O-Chul was being the quintessential self-sacrificing Paladin. Even if he knew that the lie would be an evil act, he was more than willing to shoulder the personal shame and dishonor to save the lives of the people he was sworn to protect, both to the Sapphire Guard and to the 12 Gods themselves. Even if he were to lose his powers, he'd continue to uphold his twin oaths.

The Werle
Aug 8, 2005

Fireworks for Christmas is absolutely American
Holy crap I get to do this..

:siren: New strip:siren:

You're all so wrapped up in fighting over draconian Paladin honor rules that you've forgotten about the actual comic!

Good callbacks to the Start of Darkness here.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

The Werle posted:

Holy crap I get to do this..

:siren: New strip:siren:

You're all so wrapped up in fighting over draconian Paladin honor rules that you've forgotten about the actual comic!

Good callbacks to the Start of Darkness here.

Site's hammered. Any chance of a re-host on waffleimages or something?

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

Can do.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

I really love that Red Cloak is not really any sort of toady. I mean, he's Xykon's right hand man, but he absolutely has his own goals and agenda and he certainly isn't above doing his best to control Xykon in his own way.

Nomenklatura
Dec 4, 2002

If Canada is to survive, it can only survive in mutual respect and in love for one another.

Ashcans posted:

I really love that Red Cloak is not really any sort of toady. I mean, he's Xykon's right hand man, but he absolutely has his own goals and agenda and he certainly isn't above doing his best to control Xykon in his own way.
Did the graphic novels get into his back story? I haven't read them yet, and I really want to know what's driving the best character in the whole damned strip.

(That "choose to call themselves good" is just about as thorough a "gently caress you, you hypocritical genocidal prigs" as anything the Goblins guy ever wrote.)

The Werle
Aug 8, 2005

Nomenklatura posted:

Did the graphic novels get into his back story? I haven't read them yet, and I really want to know what's driving the best character in the whole damned strip.

(That "choose to call themselves good" is just about as thorough a "gently caress you, you hypocritical genocidal prigs" as anything the Goblins guy ever wrote.)

Start of Darkness is pretty much entirely "The Redcloak Story". It covers his and Xykon's backgrounds in entirety, and is actually pretty tragic.

rocketrobot
Jul 11, 2003

The Werle posted:

Start of Darkness is pretty much entirely "The Redcloak Story". It covers his and Xykon's backgrounds in entirety, and is actually pretty tragic.

Start of Darkness is actually really good. Much better than Origin of PCs.

The Werle
Aug 8, 2005

terminal mehmet posted:

Start of Darkness is actually really good. Much better than Origin of PCs.

I agree, though I think one of the neater elements is that its improvements over Origin of the PCs are due to the nature of D&D games more than anything. The PC characters have fairly generic backgrounds and stories for a reason: they're PCs. I roll up a fighter in 15 minutes, come up with a couple hooks like cursed father and ancestral sword, and I'm done. You can create the basics of your situation, but ultimately the growth of your character is largely going to be limited by the scope of the DMs setting. Writing up silly back story beyond the basics may affect things in the future, but by and large you're going where the DM's exposition friendly Innkeeper or terrified villager directs you.

On the other end of the spectrum, the villains are created by the DM. The DM has crafted political structures, cultures, wars, and more in order to set up villains who have motivations, reasons for their positions of power, and all that jazz. The DM is a storyteller, his characters are going to have more story.

Vicissitude
Jan 26, 2004

Hmm. Having just found The Screwtape Letters as read by John Cleese, I'm hearing Redcloak as the illustrious Python. It's a good thing.

Parahexavoctal
Oct 10, 2004

I AM NOT BEING PAID TO CORRECT OTHER PEOPLE'S POSTS! DONKEY!!

In some ways, Redcloak reminds me of Vetinari.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

It's weird, I like redcloak and want his goblin nation to exist, but on the other hand, his god is evil and I like the paladins too, and hope they get their city back.

How could a comic with such clearly defined moral alignments have so many shades of grey?

Vicissitude
Jan 26, 2004

Lurdiak posted:

How could a comic with such clearly defined moral alignments have so many shades of grey?

Nonononononononono...

Let's not get into that again.

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

Lurdiak posted:

It's weird, I like redcloak and want his goblin nation to exist, but on the other hand, his god is evil and I like the paladins too, and hope they get their city back.

His god, name aside, isn't really all that evil; he wants to use the Snarl as a bargaining tool to get goblinkind some parity with the other races.

Foodpie
Apr 20, 2006

And THAT is how you get rid of those hard to clean stains.
Redcloak is evil, but he's not evil. Xykon is evil. Redcloak is partly just making the best of a truly lovely life situation, and avenging himself and his family and countless other goblins on the people of Azure City. If it was a human doing it to goblins, we'd call him a hero. Where you run into to trouble defending Redcloak though is that he teamed up with Xykon. Xykon is evil evil. He's twirling your mustache evil. He's the kind of evil that Doc Savage fought. Redcloak is just on the other side of the coin.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Foodpie posted:

If it was a human doing it to goblins, we'd call him a hero.

I think a human torturing a prisoner continuously knowing that it doesn't have any valuable information would be considered fairly evil.

Redcloak is certainly not as self centered as Xykon, who's just evil for the enjoyment of it, but Redcloak is still a vengeful, hateful, murderous overlord.

The Werle
Aug 8, 2005

Yeah, the main narrative of Start of Darkness is watching Redcloak slip from "evil because my alignment says I am" to truly evil due to a combination of bitterness and weakness of character. At one point he was essentially even in definition only, if left alone he'd have done no real harm, but after teaming with Xykon, turning Xykon into a Lich and making him even more powerful, and the final act of true villainy that occurs at the end of the book but I won't spell out to avoid spoilers and instead will replace with this run on sentence, he's pretty well completely damned himself. When he accuses O-Chul of savagery for not being willing to do the impossible for his people its a perfect example of how he's become a pro-goblin idealogue, his worldview is entirely twisted to see things only from the light of humans as savages.

Scopedog
Sep 4, 2006

by The Finn
...is that a re-animated zombie Thog? :smith:

Amused Frog
Sep 8, 2006
Waah no fair my thread!

Scopedog posted:

...is that a re-animated zombie Thog? :smith:

Er... no?

Thog got away with Nale, that's just a normal wight.

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

Holy hell, that's right! I totally forgot about the Linear Guild? What ever happened to them? It's been so long I can't remember.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

SlimGoodbody posted:

Holy hell, that's right! I totally forgot about the Linear Guild? What ever happened to them? It's been so long I can't remember.

They'll probably be back. Also, remember: Thog's fangs point up, not down!

LightWarden
Mar 18, 2007

Lander county's safe as heaven,
despite all the strife and boilin',
Tin Star,
Oh how she's an icon of the eastern west,
But now the time has come to end our song,
of the Tin Star, the Tin Star!
New Comic

NutShellBill
Dec 4, 2004
I AM SPUTNIK'S PARACHUTE ACCOUNT
Nice little burn on Miko, assuming that's who O-Chul means. Hard to imagine he's referencing anyone else though.

I think I actually find O-Chul more interesting than a few of the main characters... which probably means he's going to die soon.

NutShellBill fucked around with this message at 13:10 on Apr 16, 2008

ZorbaTHut
May 5, 2005

wake me when the world is saved

LightWarden posted:

New Comic

Beautiful. I really like both O-Chul and the unknown creature, and somehow it seems appropriate that they'd get along.

I really want to know what the creature is :(

Hedgehog King
Feb 7, 2005
It's just after lunch time on a Thursday. Do you know where your towel is?
O-Chul makes a good point, babies now top my list of foods I won't eat too. I am pretty sure that the creature in the dark is not of this plain of existence though. It lumps all young creatures together as being weird to eat, veil and babies alike. I am guessing this means it comes from a place where characteristics are more important than physical form for defining what you are. So, some kind of outsider perhaps?

Also, I wonder if it would eat eggs?

ShadowCatboy
Jan 22, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Hedgehog King posted:

O-Chul makes a good point, babies now top my list of foods I won't eat too. I am pretty sure that the creature in the dark is not of this plain of existence though. It lumps all young creatures together as being weird to eat, veil and babies alike. I am guessing this means it comes from a place where characteristics are more important than physical form for defining what you are. So, some kind of outsider perhaps?

Also, I wonder if it would eat eggs?

Someone already hypothesized that it might just be a baby snarl of some sort. It's a compelling idea. :)

Mylan
Jun 19, 2002

ShadowCatboy posted:

Someone already hypothesized that it might just be a baby snarl of some sort. It's a compelling idea. :)

There is strong evidence against the baby snarl theory in Start of Darkness. Two stereotypical british safari hunters capture him in a jungle. They clearly recognize the species, and mention how suprised they are to find one in that part of the world, not to mention the fact that it can talk.

edit: my own theory: We're looking in the wrong place. I'm betting it's going to be a well known monster from some other setting, not D&D. Something from Lovecraft would suprisingly fit the bill (crazy powerful, people who've seen it in the light recoil in terror, etc.), but it's been given speech and dumbed down for comedic effect.

Mylan fucked around with this message at 06:00 on Apr 17, 2008

Scopedog
Sep 4, 2006

by The Finn
I'm kind of surprised that Xykon and Redcloak would let their Mysterious Monster hang out with a human. Maybe they're assuming that the monster is definitely Evil and will never find humans likeable or worth preserving. I think that this is going to bite them on the rear end when the monster turns out to be True Neutral.

edit: Maybe it's a sentient Rift from Rifts!

Scopedog fucked around with this message at 06:01 on Apr 17, 2008

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Scopedog posted:

I think that this is going to bite them on the rear end when the monster turns out to be True Neutral.

Have we ever seen indication that it's actually evil? It might be theoretically netural or good, just too stupid and out of touch with the world to realise when it's being used for evil, even as it kills people.

Geshtal
Nov 8, 2006

So that's the post you've decided to go with, is it?

MikeJF posted:

Have we ever seen indication that it's actually evil? It might be theoretically netural or good, just too stupid and out of touch with the world to realise when it's being used for evil, even as it kills people.

On the other hand, maybe it's just evil with an absurdly low intelligence stat.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Geshtal posted:

On the other hand, maybe it's just evil with an absurdly low intelligence stat.

Wait, that's not the initial assumption we were running with?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cuchulain
May 15, 2007

My tiny godly CoX shall burn forever!

LightWarden posted:

New Comic

This is why you should never let girls into your secret club. :colbert: