Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fappenmeister
Nov 19, 2004

My hand wields the might

Dragon Eye Morrison posted:

You'll be loving stoked. I'd choose an Edwards over a Gibson, personally, though there is a bit of bias there due to past experiences with Gibson.

Sucks that you have to wait that long, though. :(

Anyways, on topic, I recently purchased a Killer Starrion:

I loving love it. The sound is the exact opposite of my primary instrument, my Parker Fly Mojo. The Fly Mojo is deep and dark and buttery, this thing is a loving shrieking, howling beast, and I love it. I now need to buy more Killers. Too bad they're not sold in the US :(

That looks great!! Where and when did you get it?

Engine Fortegue posted:

Loudness is loving awesome just for everyone's information.

Yes, yes they are.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mofolotopo
May 10, 2004

TICK STAMPEDE!!!!

Darth Fungus posted:

How loud did yours get? Mine seems way underpowered.

I know this is way late, but mine was pretty loud. Loud enough that I could play with a full band in a small venue without it miked, anyway.

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."
2006 Martin HD-28, from a guy off of Craigslist. Had it set up yesterday by my luthier and man, this guitar loving kicks rear end.

(not the actual guitar but looks just like it):

Dragon Eye Morrison
May 6, 2007

Boston's "More Than A Feeling" is the world's greatest song

keratas posted:

That looks great!! Where and when did you get it?

eBay. I just received the guitar yesterday. I'd been wanting a Killer for the longest time and I had just sold my Fender Hot Rod Deluxe so I had some extra coin. So while checking eBay for the usual suspects I desire, I also checked out for some Killers and found that. Some guy had a baby on the way so he was auctioning off about half of his collection or so. For a very short duration, Killers were test-distributed in the US, like, a decade or so ago, but they didn't sell well so it never went full-scale and the company withdrew completely back into Japan. I've heard that the owner speaks fantastic english and is completely happy to ship outside Japan for any foreigners interested, but there's still the drat fact that shipping a guitar from Japan to the US will run you $120-200 extra. Which is why I'm glad I found one already in the US, due to the fact that the guitars aren't exactly cheap in the first place (that one I have retails for about $1000-$1200, apparently, and they go for anywhere from $800 up to $10,000, generally hanging around the $1500-$4000 area).

Underflow
Apr 4, 2008

EGOMET MIHI IGNOSCO
A chinese sorta ES-335:

Distributor's details:
http://www.switchmusic.com/fusionblues_popup.aspx?pid=108

Accurate online review (not mine):
http://reviews.harmony-central.com/reviews/Guitar/product/Fusion+Blues/FB+200/10/1

Already had an ES-175, LP, and SG, yet still lusted after one of these. Had a '90s Epiphone Riviera a few years ago, but even after replacing its pick-ups (Kent Armstrong PAF clones) and tailpiece (regular trapeze instead of the Frequensator) it remained a 335 Lite, whereas the FB-200 delivers on all points; thick tone (the meaty neck helps), transparent sound, records very well, good workmanship, and quality materials. You can pick these up for a few hundred bucks in the US, I see. Highly recommended.

Susano-maku da!
Nov 12, 2003

Hi. Did you order the Mongolian… Beef?
I got a little bro for my Mustang: Fender Duo-Sonic. 1993, Made in Mexico, 22.5" scale.

The stock pickups are VERY hot. But when I play it, I get a headache within five minutes at the base my skull. Bad one, too. Must be some sort of resonance thing.

Anyway, I'm going to mod it anyway. Maybe into something like this, but I'm weighing my options (If I did Anderson pickups like that dude did, I'd pretty much be paying the price of the guitar for them).

wilkenm
Jan 6, 2005
VHT Deliverance 120... it's LOUD.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I dreamt I was an old dog, stuck in a honeypot. It was horrifying.

Spartak posted:

'sup

1982 Ibanez Musician

My guitar quest is over for now.

I loving hate you. I want one of these so badly.

Spartak
May 12, 2007
what matters most is how well you walk through the fire
You'll hate me even more when I say it's the best guitar I've ever played :v:

The neck is like a toothpick, it's so slim and fast it's crazy. The action is absolutely perfect. The stock pickups (Super 58s as afar as I know) sound so nice, perfect blend of low/mid/high, gets an excellent bluesy clean tone and a nice thumping distortion tone.

Absolutely no buyer's remorse here :sun:

Dragon Eye Morrison
May 6, 2007

Spartak posted:

You'll hate me even more when I say it's the best guitar I've ever played :v:

The neck is like a toothpick, it's so slim and fast it's crazy. The action is absolutely perfect. The stock pickups (Super 58s as afar as I know) sound so nice, perfect blend of low/mid/high, gets an excellent bluesy clean tone and a nice thumping distortion tone.

Absolutely no buyer's remorse here :sun:

Was the tune-o-matic bridge installed well? It sucks that it's missing the original bridge, but it looks like a pretty professional replacement job.

fappenmeister
Nov 19, 2004

My hand wields the might

eBay. I just received the guitar yesterday. I'd been wanting a Killer for the longest time and I had just sold my Fender Hot Rod Deluxe so I had some extra coin. So while checking eBay for the usual suspects I desire, I also checked out for some Killers and found that. Some guy had a baby on the way so he was auctioning off about half of his collection or so. For a very short duration, Killers were test-distributed in the US, like, a decade or so ago, but they didn't sell well so it never went full-scale and the company withdrew completely back into Japan. I've heard that the owner speaks fantastic english and is completely happy to ship outside Japan for any foreigners interested, but there's still the drat fact that shipping a guitar from Japan to the US will run you $120-200 extra. Which is why I'm glad I found one already in the US, due to the fact that the guitars aren't exactly cheap in the first place (that one I have retails for about $1000-$1200, apparently, and they go for anywhere from $800 up to $10,000, generally hanging around the $1500-$4000 area).

That's a really lucky buy, going to have to check these out now. $10K for one of them? Jesus. What is it made of, gold?

Spartak
May 12, 2007

Was the tune-o-matic bridge installed well? It sucks that it's missing the original bridge, but it looks like a pretty professional replacement job.

Yeah that's the thing that will probably shaft it in terms of collectors value or whatever. Apparently the stock gibraltar bridge had problems keeping intonation and other things so the guy changed it out for a tune-o-matic. The tune-o-matic looks like it was installed perfectly, no complaints here.

Spartak fucked around with this message at 03:30 on Apr 13, 2008

Dragon Eye Morrison
May 6, 2007

keratas posted:

That's a really lucky buy, going to have to check these out now. $10K for one of them? Jesus. What is it made of, gold?

You can check their website at killer.jp. It's all flash-based, so you can browse it pretty easily without comprehending a single one of those squiggles the japanese love so much.

quote:

Yeah that's the thing that will probably shaft it in terms of collectors value or whatever. Apparently the stock gibraltar bridge had problems keeping intonation and other things so the guy changed it out for a tune-o-matic. The tune-o-matic looks like it was installed perfectly, no complaints here.

Awesome. I always wanted the version that had, like, 8 switches and 12 knobs and a cappuccino maker. How much did it run you, if you don't mind me asking?

plester1
Jul 9, 2004

wilkenm posted:

What you have there is a nuclear bomb disguised as an amplifier.

Spartak
May 12, 2007

Awesome. I always wanted the version that had, like, 8 switches and 12 knobs and a cappuccino maker. How much did it run you, if you don't mind me asking?

All up $NZ 970 (incl hard case and courier).

Which is drat good considering how shafted New Zealand is in terms of instrument pricing.

In comparison an Epi Les Paul retails for $999.99 and an Ibanez SA36, which is what I was also considering retails for about the same as well.

MechaSeinfeld
Jan 2, 2008

Whilst looking for a replacement for my cheap-rear end fake Ibanez bass. I found and picked up one of these:
Ibanez Artcore

Best thing I've ever bought. The sound is superb, though it's not to great for playing slap, which is fine with me, as I'm more of a fingering/plucking man myself. Unfortunately the only I case I could find on short notice that could fit it is a coffin case, which is the worst thing I've ever bought.

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

The price of meat has just gone up, and your old lady has just gone down

wilkenm posted:

I like seeing fancy guitars as much as anyone else, but holy poo poo this is a loving bombshell. Seriously, amazing amp. Congrats.

XYZAB
Jun 29, 2003

HNNNNNGG!!
I just got the high bid on this OCR Jaguar HH that just ended at $515usd, but it didn't meet the "low reserve." :argh:

reversefungi
Nov 27, 2003

Master of the high hat!

wilkenm posted:

Ah, great choice. I used to own one, and it was loving fantastic. However, the whole one-channel / no effects loop thing bothered me quite a bit so I ended up returning it. Eitherway, hope you enjoy it as much as I did, that high gain sound is a beast.

Engine Fortegue
Feb 1, 2004

strap me down they must sedate me

poke me prod me irritate me

Handen posted:

I just got the high bid on this OCR Jaguar HH that just ended at $515usd, but it didn't meet the "low reserve." :argh:

I would die probably if that happened to me

Col.Kiwi
Dec 28, 2004
And the grave digger puts on the forceps...

Handen posted:

1.) You have a real problem with jags buddy :)
2.) That thing is dead goddamn sexy.

Susano-maku da!
Nov 12, 2003

Say, I wanted some advice that doesn't deserve its own thread... A guy is offering to trade his Maton MS500 Mastersound for my Fernandes Ravelle Elite. What do you guys know about Matons? What kind of resale value do they have?

http://www.maton.com.au/electrics/ms500.html

Gramps
Dec 30, 2006

Susano-maku da! posted:

Say, I wanted some advice that doesn't deserve its own thread... A guy is offering to trade his Maton MS500 Mastersound for my Fernandes Ravelle Elite. What do you guys know about Matons? What kind of resale value do they have?

Maton makes some rad poo poo. They are super rare here in the states, and they have a bit of a cult following. It will definitely have a different mojo than your fernandez. Looks like a pretty fair trade to me, as long as you aren't into your Fernandez a ridiculous amount. I'd do that trade in a heartbeat if it were me.

Edit: It looks like the Maton and the Fernandez have identical street prices- right around 600-650 bucks. I'd say the Maton would hold it's value a bit better due to there being less of them out there.

ATwoSlotToaster
Nov 6, 2004

You're toast!
I just got an udu drum and a didgeridoo! I am a percussionist and I have played the udu for a while, I finally have one of my own now though! But I am new to the didge. I've got the drone down with some effects and working on screams and calls and such. My goal is to be able to play this at the same time as my drum set (like Jono Callow).

The biggest problem is mounting the didge for cheap. There are tripods for them for like 150 bucks but I am looking for something MUCH cheaper. So does anyone have any ideas on how to mount the didgeridoo to my drumset?

Gramps
Dec 30, 2006

Avd1Thng posted:

I just got an udu drum and a didgeridoo! I am a percussionist and I have played the udu for a while, I finally have one of my own now though! But I am new to the didge. I've got the drone down with some effects and working on screams and calls and such. My goal is to be able to play this at the same time as my drum set (like Jono Callow).

The biggest problem is mounting the didge for cheap. There are tripods for them for like 150 bucks but I am looking for something MUCH cheaper. So does anyone have any ideas on how to mount the didgeridoo to my drumset?

Tripod microphone stand (20-50 bucks)
4" Piece of PVC pipe (couple bucks at home depot) Measure your digeridoo to get the proper inside diameter.
2 Large hose clamps (a buck or 2 each)
Felt (unless you don't care about scratching up your new toy.)

Cut a slot through one wall of the PVC pipe so you end up with a C shape.
Use some epoxy to attach the pipe to a microphone clip You'll probably need to cut the lips off. All you want is the lower part that screws onto the mic stand. Once you have that, Line the inside of the pipe with a few pieces of felt. Slide your digeridoo onto the pipe. Use the hose clamps around the pipe to gently tighten down around your digeridoo. Voila!

XYZAB
Jun 29, 2003

HNNNNNGG!!

Susano-maku da! posted:

loving DO IT! Josh Homme plays an MS-500 in the video for No One Knows and Jesse Hughes plays Matons in EODM.

What colour is it?

ATwoSlotToaster
Nov 6, 2004

You're toast!

Gramps posted:

Tripod microphone stand (20-50 bucks)
4" Piece of PVC pipe (couple bucks at home depot) Measure your digeridoo to get the proper inside diameter.
2 Large hose clamps (a buck or 2 each)
Felt (unless you don't care about scratching up your new toy.)

Cut a slot through one wall of the PVC pipe so you end up with a C shape.
Use some epoxy to attach the pipe to a microphone clip You'll probably need to cut the lips off. All you want is the lower part that screws onto the mic stand. Once you have that, Line the inside of the pipe with a few pieces of felt. Slide your digeridoo onto the pipe. Use the hose clamps around the pipe to gently tighten down around your digeridoo. Voila!

This is a very good idea! I am pretty sure I understand everything you mean except exactly how to mount the PVC to the mic stand. I have an idea of what I'll try but can you elaborate your thoughts? Thanks a bunch!

Gramps
Dec 30, 2006

The mic clip screws onto the top of the mic stand. I'd also consider a quick release adapter so you're not having to spin your didgeridoo around every time you put it on the stand. I'd get your PVC all cut and take it with you to the music store and show one of the dudes there what you are trying to do. If they're worth a crap they'll get you set up with what you need.

Susano-maku da!
Nov 12, 2003

Handen posted:

loving DO IT! Josh Homme plays an MS-500 in the video for No One Knows and Jesse Hughes plays Matons in EODM.

What colour is it?

Honey Burst, so it should look pretty cool. The guy said the Maton need its input jack repaired and he doesn't have the original hard case for it. He's throwing in a 30GB Zune to compensate. Also keep in mind that my Ravelle has a finish crack on the horn.

I don't know, though. I just realized the thing is 25.5" scale, so I would be basically trading my Ravelle to sell the Maton.

H13
Nov 30, 2005

Fun Shoe
Seriously, Matons are the worlds most playable guitars. I've played Gibson, Fender, PRS, Rickenbacker, you name it: I've played it and Maton still has the best neck I've ever felt.

Col.Kiwi
Dec 28, 2004
And the grave digger puts on the forceps...

Handen posted:

Yeah, Josh also plays a Maton BB-1200 about half the goddamn time he's on stage these days.

I haven't had the pleasure of playing a Maton electric, I'm a long way from Austrailia and nobody sells them around here. However, everyone I've spoken to that has played one agrees with the "world's most playable guitars" assessment.

XYZAB
Jun 29, 2003

HNNNNNGG!!

Col.Kiwi posted:

1.) You have a real problem with jags buddy :)
2.) That thing is dead goddamn sexy.

The seller messaged me last night saying he'll let it go at that price. :D I just hope he can send the paypal invoice through that auction, because I won't be dealing outside of eBay.

ampleforth
Dec 23, 2004

So it goes.

3toes posted:

Ok I've officially acquired Allen Woody syndrome

I played before Gov't Mule once at Penn State when Allen Woody was still alive. Before he went on, he came over to me in the back stage area and put his hand on my shoulder and said "Great set, man". As an Allman Brothers fan, it was really cool of AW to say that to me and I'll never forget it.

Nor will I forget how he ran off stage mid-song as the other two guys kept playing, ran under the stage, took a piss, ran back on stage, grabbed his bass up and banged away into the night.

Matt and Warren were also super cool and down to earth dudes. I still have my laminate from that gig.

Schatten
Jul 7, 2002

Das ist nicht meine
schnellen Rennwagen
Well, I'm stopping the buying of more gear. This is it... I hope!

Tobias Guitar. This is obviously not a pre-Gibson. His pre-Gibson guitars don't look like this at all. It was made in 98 or 99, and I'm still awaiting further information about the history of this guitar from Gibson.

Is it heavy? Not at all. it even feels smaller, more compact than my Warmoth Strat. The pickups are a bit hot, but I like it that way... the tone is very much what I was after and very dynamic through the controls and pickup choices. I wanted something a little classic, a little grungy without being too clean. I can use my strat for clean sounds.

Feel - slight asymetrical neck, just like my Tobias bass. Heel is contoured. Not a rough neck which I prefer, but still very fast neck.

I might have paid a hair above market value, but these don't come up that often. You can view a few more pics with the image link. And yes, I'm hoping to gig with it soon.

ATwoSlotToaster
Nov 6, 2004

You're toast!

Gramps posted:

The mic clip screws onto the top of the mic stand. I'd also consider a quick release adapter so you're not having to spin your didgeridoo around every time you put it on the stand. I'd get your PVC all cut and take it with you to the music store and show one of the dudes there what you are trying to do. If they're worth a crap they'll get you set up with what you need.

I got it mounted! Thanks for the help, I only did one thing different. Instead of a quick release I just bolted the PVC to the mic stand and angled one leg so it leaned in the right direction, I put dead batteries in the angled leg for added weight and instead of taking it off (which I might not have to I can get around it quite nicely) I can just 'swivel' it to the left. (I do the same thing with my microphone stand on my left.)

Here are some pictures:

I'm still waiting on my Udu! :( Please come soon!

ATwoSlotToaster fucked around with this message at 05:45 on Apr 16, 2008

Gramps
Dec 30, 2006

Glad it worked! You'll have to post some clips playing it integrated with your set.

ampleforth
Dec 23, 2004

So it goes.
Your drum kit has a big yellow dong. This is awesome.

XYZAB
Jun 29, 2003

HNNNNNGG!!
On a related noted, recently on eBay I bought a Roland G-707/GR-700 synth system for $500 that came with the following:

• G-707 Guitar
  • GR-700 Synth Unit
  • Roland PG-200 Synth Programmer
  • Roland 24-Pin Cable
  • 1x Roland M16C Memory Cartridge
  • 8x Roland M64C Memory Cartridge
  • Various extras
The synth unit didn't work entirely and the guitar controller was in poor shape, so I opted to sell it all back onto eBay.

So far each of the 9 memory cartridges will get me $50-$100 each ($450-$900), the guitar around $200, the synth unit around $100, the PG-200 around $200 and I just sold the 24-pin cable to a man in France for $250.

Altogether that's about $1700 that I could potentially make back from this purchase, a 300% instant investment. :D

And I just paid for that OCR Fender Jaguar HH with a second chance offer. :q:

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

Handen posted:

And I just paid for that OCR Fender Jaguar HH with a second chance offer. :q:

I'm sure this goes without saying but be VERY careful when offered a second chance offer... That's probably one of the most wide-spread scams on eBay. Just as long as the offer showed up in your "My eBay" messages and not just in your email in-box...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

XYZAB
Jun 29, 2003

HNNNNNGG!!

3toes posted:

I'm sure this goes without saying but be VERY careful when offered a second chance offer... That's probably one of the most wide-spread scams on eBay. Just as long as the offer showed up in your "My eBay" messages and not just in your email in-box...

Yeah there's something weird going on. It popped up on my eBay page with a second chance offer, so I went with it, and the second-chance-offer box is green after I've paid for it, but eBay still considers it to be an auction that I 'lost' and I won't be able to add seller feedback or get feedback of my own... I'll email them about this in a bit.