Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Women's Rights?
Nov 16, 2005

Ain't give a damn

MikeJF posted:

Wait, that's not the initial assumption we were running with?

Nah, I think it makes more sense to tag the monster as Neutral. It's pretty obviously a child of some sort...absuredly powerful but still just a child. It's really shown absolutely no desire to help Xykon out at all, and seems to have no interest at all in the gates or the snarl. If it was a baby snarl, you'd think it would know what's up.

Plus it doesn't like to eat babies. There might be no proof that Tsukiko eats babies, but honestly it wouldn't surprise me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jeet
Jul 12, 2001

At this point I realy don't give a drat about the hidden monster, its gone on for so long its not even funny any more.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
It's quite obviously Neutral Stupid.

IMJack
Apr 16, 2003

Royalty is a continuous ripping and tearing motion.

Fun Shoe
It got me to thinking; in this strip, Miko doesn't ping the monster as evil (before it puts her and her horse through the wall). Either it really isn't evil, or Miko (or Burlew) didn't think to Detect Evil on it.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

IMJack posted:

It got me to thinking; in this strip, Miko doesn't ping the monster as evil (before it puts her and her horse through the wall). Either it really isn't evil, or Miko (or Burlew) didn't think to Detect Evil on it.
It doesn't have her yelling "detect evil" or the eye-beam effect, so it looks like she didn't use it. She was in a hurry.

BondageHoudini
Jul 12, 2006

this debate lacks any sexual intrigue so I am not even paying attention
O-Chul's a paladin. He can detect evil. I am guessing he would not hang out and share food with something of evil alignment!

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

It's entirely possible that something that powerful might just happen to have a non-detection aura. The ability to scry down it's location and deal with it by whipping up some sort of Wish or Miracle-based chicanery seems to be counter-intuitive to the level of Deus Ex Machina the thing's got going on.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
I'd prefer that it was never revealed and that it always just be The Thing in the Shadows/Box. It's funnier and less wanky that way.

I mean, really, the urge to make everything in one's D&D story/novel/comic/whatever an Official D&D Monster is exactly the sort of thing that the coraltan is a mockery of.

EDIT: Um, sorry; it occurs to me that most people never read Tales of Ravenloft. One of the short stories in that compilation is about a knight who goes out against the wishes of the cleric-patriarch of a small village to fight a vampire that is terrorising the town and the countryside. The vampire butchers him but gets torn up in the process, and goes to the cleric for healing... and it turns out that the cleric is an undead creature itself, which can disguise itself as a human. The story describes the cleric as transforming into its true shape, refers to it as a "coraltan", and doesn't describe what a coraltan is at all. It appears in no other source. So I take it as a swipe at gaming fiction which just says "Oh, they're fighting a Beholder" and doesn't actually explain what that is.

Pope Guilty fucked around with this message at 21:56 on Apr 17, 2008

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit
Hay new strip: http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0550.html

:siren:

The Werle
Aug 8, 2005

Fireworks for Christmas is absolutely American
Awwww....

Scopedog
Sep 4, 2006

by The Finn
So...it's probably Go, given the quasi-Japanese setting, but if it were Othello it would be an interesting bit of foreshadowing...

LightWarden
Mar 18, 2007

Lander county's safe as heaven,
despite all the strife and boilin',
Tin Star,
Oh how she's an icon of the eastern west,
But now the time has come to end our song,
of the Tin Star, the Tin Star!
Just in case the server goes down...

Dedhed
Feb 27, 2005
Removed for repeat

Noonsaliwah
Sep 5, 2006
Shizne
Why have we suddenly got japanese honorifics, monster-san?

And to stem any conspiracies- Right-eye is a character from Start of Darkness (where it also says that Xykon isn't his birth name- he changed it to something cooler, and Redcloak is a pseudonym- so it'd be easier for Xykon to remember).

Amused Frog
Sep 8, 2006
Waah no fair my thread!
What a heart warming strip. O-Chul's story is definitly the most interesting thing going on right now.

plastickiwi
Dec 19, 2001

Tickled purple
"You are learning it quickly ... very quickly."

More fodder for those who believe the MitD (or Monster-San, if you prefer) is highly intelligent but innocent, instead of stupid.

Cuchulain
May 15, 2007

My tiny godly CoX shall burn forever!

plastickiwi posted:

More fodder for those who believe the MitD (or Monster-San, if you prefer) is highly intelligent but innocent, instead of stupid.

I was thinking the same thing. Ignorant and Stupid are very different things, and I'm guessing Xykon and Redcloak are keeping the MitD the former.

Vicissitude
Jan 26, 2004

You ever do the chicken dance at a wake? That really bothers people.
Awwwwwww... :unsmith:

This is a really nice story. Except for all the torture and threats of massacring the innocent. :smith:

Gassire
Dec 30, 2004

"They're people. Deeply flawed, yes, but deeply human too. And maybe that's saying the same thing."

plastickiwi posted:

And he can make it rain.

evilsake
Oct 25, 2004

by Fragmaster
It's probably just the way the tower is drawn rather than anything deliberate, but I like the idea that proximity to the unleashed rift is warping nearby architecture.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Noonsaliwah posted:

Why have we suddenly got japanese honorifics, monster-san?

The pseudo-Japan location is where they came from.

quote:

And to stem any conspiracies- Right-eye is a character from Start of Darkness .

I prefer to think that monster-san is a TLC fan, but can't quite remember the names.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

Gyges posted:

I prefer to think that monster-san is a TLC fan, but can't quite remember the names.

You mean Left-Eye Lopez?

why the gently caress do I know that?

Dot Communism
Aug 16, 2005

by Peatpot

evilsake posted:

It's probably just the way the tower is drawn rather than anything deliberate, but I like the idea that proximity to the unleashed rift is warping nearby architecture.

I think its just tha hobgoblins are bad at building towers.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

Gassire posted:

And he can make it rain.

I'm glad I'm not the only one who noticed that. Monster-san is learning the true meaning of friendship :3:

Idran
Jan 13, 2005
Grimey Drawer

Soonmot posted:

I'm glad I'm not the only one who noticed that. Monster-san is learning the true meaning of friendship :3:

Am I missing something obvious? Where'd it suggest that the creature made it rain? He seemed surprised to see it, and I don't think he'd fake that.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

Idran posted:

Am I missing something obvious? Where'd it suggest that the creature made it rain? He seemed surprised to see it, and I don't think he'd fake that.

It was the line, "just like you told me" that made me think something was up. I could well be wrong, but it seems way too coincidental that after trying to teach teh monster about real friendship, something like that just happens.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

A smile better suits a hero

It sounds to me like Monster-san was just commenting on the weather and on what his friend Mr. Stiffly had told him, I don't think there's anything suggesting that he caused the weather.

Amused Frog
Sep 8, 2006
Waah no fair my thread!

rantmo posted:

It sounds to me like Monster-san was just commenting on the weather and on what his friend Mr. Stiffly had told him, I don't think there's anything suggesting that he caused the weather.

Yeah, agreed. If anything it seems more likely that it was the Twelve Gods doing this, and even more likely that it is just the weather, same as when the thunderstorm kicked up when Miko first appeared with the Order.

I think you guys are reading into it too much.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Control Weather takes about 20 minutes to work :colbert:

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

If the Monster is just ignorant/young and not actually stupid, isn't it a terrible oversight for Xykon and Redcloak to leave him with the Paladin all the time? I mean, Xykon is the sort of person that might forget that or just do it for some sort of kick, but Redcloak seems to be on the ball.

ZorbaTHut
May 5, 2005

wake me when the world is saved

Ashcans posted:

If the Monster is just ignorant/young and not actually stupid, isn't it a terrible oversight for Xykon and Redcloak to leave him with the Paladin all the time? I mean, Xykon is the sort of person that might forget that or just do it for some sort of kick, but Redcloak seems to be on the ball.

As good of a leader as Redcloak is, I don't really see him understanding the distinction between "ignorant" and "stupid". He's kind of egotistical in a lot of ways.

ZorbaTHut
May 5, 2005

wake me when the world is saved
edit: double-post thanks to server issues :shobon:

ZorbaTHut fucked around with this message at 02:23 on Apr 22, 2008

Maldraedior
Jun 16, 2002

YOU ARE AN ASININE MORT
Most of the Start of Darkness revolves around Redcloak learning the hard way the difference between Evil and HOLY loving poo poo EVIL. He still tends to forget and develop an us vs them mentality. So while the monster is stupid but evil it's still evil, and Redcloak can't understand the huge difference in Lawful Good that separate paladins like Miko from paladins like Ochul who maybe painfully lawful but has a good bead on what Good should be, and is willing to befriend a monster who's been acting good despite being listed as evil. I'm sure Lawfulness will mess it up later but for now AWWWWWWWWWW

Nosy_G
May 6, 2007

Mylan posted:

edit: my own theory: We're looking in the wrong place. I'm betting it's going to be a well known monster from some other setting, not D&D. Something from Lovecraft would suprisingly fit the bill (crazy powerful, people who've seen it in the light recoil in terror, etc.), but it's been given speech and dumbed down for comedic effect.

Obviously, it's a son of :cthulhu:

tripwood
Jul 21, 2003

"Cuno can see you're trying to shit him, but Cuno's unshittable, so fuck does Cuno care?"

Hint: He doesn't care.
The hint about "no ones uses around here uses their real name" makes me think he could be a Mindflayer or a Beholder.

I don't think he's something from out of D&D, I doubt the author would drop such a huge hint without having planned it.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

tripwood posted:

The hint about "no ones uses around here uses their real name" makes me think he could be a Mindflayer or a Beholder.

Obviously, the monster's from Earthsea.

IMJack
Apr 16, 2003

Royalty is a continuous ripping and tearing motion.

Fun Shoe

tripwood posted:

I think it's just another callback to Start of Darkness, how Xykon calls himself that because he wanted a name that started with 'X' and Redcloak calls himself that because Xykon nuked a lizardman for trying to give his full name and convoluted backstory.

Amused Frog
Sep 8, 2006
Waah no fair my thread!

IMJack posted:

I think it's just another callback to Start of Darkness, how Xykon calls himself that because he wanted a name that started with 'X' and Redcloak calls himself that because Xykon nuked a lizardman for trying to give his full name and convoluted backstory.

Agreed again. Damnit, guys. Stop reading into it too much :mad:

Aside from the evil thing. I don't think we can say for definite that the monster is evil. Everybody who has met it, bar Right-Eye and his kids and O-Chul, seems to have just assumed it's evil because of either its horrific appearance or the fact it's hanging out with Xykon. Miko didn't Detect Evil it when she ran into it and it appeared that she just assumed it was evil.

Maybe O-Chul has used Detect Evil and found that the MitD isn't evil.

Or maybe it is. Who knows?

Mylan
Jun 19, 2002

Amused Frog posted:

Maybe O-Chul has used Detect Evil and found that the MitD isn't evil.

Or maybe it is. Who knows?

Nah. Part of the paladin's code is they can never knowingly associate themselves with evil beings. If he had dinged the monster as evil, it would take pretty much a huge alignment shift (for either party) before a paladin would say he's honored to be it's friend.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Davethulhu
Aug 12, 2003

Morbid Hound

Nosy_G posted:

Obviously, it's a son of :cthulhu:

Rule #1 of Lovecraftian horror: "There's always a shoggoth."