Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Monkey Lincoln
Dec 1, 2001
gumshoe

I don't post in ML ever, so this kinda isn't a New Instrument post, but I didn't want to make a new thread about this. I picked this up cheap, but I don't know what to do with it cause I can't even find out the make, that is if it's not custom. I've gone over site after site looking for info on 7 string fretless basses with an S logo and some fancy letters on it, to no avail. I know absolutely zero about it, can anyone give me any insight?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JohnnySmitch
Oct 20, 2004

Don't touch me there - Noone has that right.
I couldn't tell you what it is, but I can tell you that it looks expensive and really strangely beautiful...

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

Monkey Lincoln posted:

I don't post in ML ever, so this kinda isn't a New Instrument post, but I didn't want to make a new thread about this. I picked this up cheap, but I don't know what to do with it cause I can't even find out the make, that is if it's not custom. I've gone over site after site looking for info on 7 string fretless basses with an S logo and some fancy letters on it, to no avail. I know absolutely zero about it, can anyone give me any insight?

EDIT: It's a Stambaugh.

http://www.stambaughdesigns.com/basses.html

How much did you pick it up for if I may ask? If it's bolt-on, 7-strings start at about $2400 list price, neck-thru is about $2800...

Scarf fucked around with this message at 04:23 on Apr 17, 2008

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight
And actually, it may be my skeptical nature... but I'd take the serial # if you can find one and start looking around for any posts about a stolen Stambaugh. I can't really imagine anyone letting one of these go "cheap" unless they were in dire need of cash.

Especially if the person you bought it from didn't advertise that it was in fact a Stambaugh...

Scarf fucked around with this message at 04:50 on Apr 17, 2008

Darth Fungus
Mar 12, 2007
Sausage Smoker

Monkey Lincoln posted:

Its clearly haunted as gently caress.

First Time Caller
Nov 1, 2004

Rifter17
Mar 12, 2004
123 Not It
E-mail Chris Stambaugh at the link posted previously. He might know what's up. I searched and I couldn't find anything on your particular bass.

I dig his designs and he'll do anything for the customer (even resist from price gouging if you look at his website). The only Stambaugh I've played was odd because the guy who commissioned it wanted a super thick neck, which is far from my bag. So of course I didn't dig playing it.

vanjalolz
Oct 31, 2006

Ha Ha Ha HaHa Ha

Ibanez S470DXQM BMB

I'm actually getting so close to getting this that I'm willing to post it on here. Still waiting on someone to get stock from Ibanez though...

vanjalolz fucked around with this message at 12:26 on Apr 17, 2008

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I dreamt I was an old dog, stuck in a honeypot. It was horrifying.
Yeah that's a loving Stambaugh, and a beautiful one. :eek: They're entirely custom made to order, so if you run those pictures by Chris he should be able to tell you who ordered it and if it's been stolen or something.

They're my favorite basses in the world. I have one, have another one slated for an August build, and will probably put my stimulus check in for another one.

edit: Here's a gallery of some of Chris' stuff.

And here's mine!

DEUCE SLUICE fucked around with this message at 18:15 on Apr 17, 2008

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

warwick5s posted:

Yeah that's a loving Stambaugh, and a beautiful one. :eek: They're entirely custom made to order, so if you run those pictures by Chris he should be able to tell you who ordered it and if it's been stolen or something.

They're my favorite basses in the world. I have one, have another one slated for an August build, and will probably put my stimulus check in for another one.

Looking at the inlay, electronics, top wood, bridge, ect... I'd place that thing over $3k easily.

drat you all and your "financial stability" <:mad:>

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I dreamt I was an old dog, stuck in a honeypot. It was horrifying.

3toes posted:

Looking at the inlay, electronics, top wood, bridge, ect... I'd place that thing over $3k easily.

drat you all and your "financial stability" <:mad:>

You'd be surprised man...

My August bass is a 5-string, black limba body, flame maple back, zebrano top, neck through five piece ash / wenge / zebrano neck, ebony board, pair of Nordstrand dual coils, Aguilar preamp, all Hipshot hardware. He quoted me $1900 for that, which is cheaper than my bolt-on was.

The electronics on that 7 are pretty standard, the bridge wouldn't be more expensive than a Hipshot bridge, and he doesn't really charge you any different for different woods. I'd think it'd be pretty close to $2500 new, which is a hell of a deal.

Drazzy
Oct 5, 2003

If I had $20 right now, I'd probably put it towards one of my many bills that I have yet to pay.
Just put in a new Seymour Duncan Hot Rails and set of GFS Texas Stagger pickups in my MIM Strat. Tasty!!

Only registered members can see post attachments!

fappenmeister
Nov 19, 2004

My hand wields the might

It doesn't sound too different from a CE-2 to bother forking out the extra dough for.

It finally arrived today, but I had some dramas with it because of my excitement. I forgot to seat the pre amp tubes properly and was cursing everything and everyone because there was no noise coming out. :bravo:

Livingston
Jun 28, 2007

:zombie:hiiitsss:zombie:
I just picked up my musician's earplugs on Monday. They're great so far!

Ben and Stew
Mar 31, 2006

Woah!

Livingston posted:

How badly do they muffle the sound in your ear? I really would like to get a nice pair of earplugs that actually cut out harmful frequencies and reduced volume while still preserving a decent sound.

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

The price of meat has just gone up, and your old lady has just gone down

keratas posted:

It doesn't sound too different from a CE-2 to bother forking out the extra dough for.

It finally arrived today, but I had some dramas with it because of my excitement. I forgot to seat the pre amp tubes properly and was cursing everything and everyone because there was no noise coming out. :bravo:

Hell yeah, the JCM 800 is the pinnacle of Marshall amps as far as I'm concerned. Nice acquisition.

I just got a Randall RG120PH, a 1x15 closed-back combo from the Commander series. Throw dirt up front into its overdrive channel, pull the treble pot for a high boost, and it's loving NASTY. Awesome amp. The old Randalls walk all over the new ones, at least in the SS department. Clips tomorrow.

Livingston
Jun 28, 2007

Ben and Stew posted:

How badly do they muffle the sound in your ear? I really would like to get a nice pair of earplugs that actually cut out harmful frequencies and reduced volume while still preserving a decent sound.

I've worn them to a couple band practices now, and have done some playing around on an acoustic, and a few other tests here and there. It really does sound like a flat frequency response. The highs, mids, and lows all sound like they are attenuated evenly. I got 25dB attenuation, but you can get 15 or 9 as well. They also gave me some "maximum attenuation" inserts, which quiet everything a bit more than 25dB. I asked my audiologist, and she said it's about a 35dB cut.

All in all, they seem great, and I would say worth the investment. Everything sounds just like it should, except quieter. Better to pay for these now than hearing aids later.

Livingston
Jun 28, 2007

Who is the guy in Agreed and Ben and Stew's avatars?

Col.Kiwi
Dec 28, 2004
And the grave digger puts on the forceps...
Devin Townsend, Canadian headbanger extraordinaire. :canada:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Devin_Townsend

A role model for all of us Canadian musicians who like long hair and loud amps, even those of us not playing metal.

Zakalwe
May 12, 2002

Wanted For:
  • Terrorism
  • Kidnapping
  • Poor Taste
  • Unlawful Carnal Gopher Knowledge
Devin's also a very cool guitar geek. Be sure to check out his "Ziltoid the Omniscient" Heavy Metal Musical Comedy Concept album. Funny, extremely well produced with some very good songs. (Hyperdrive and The Greys are in my regular playlist)

FlossMan
Oct 19, 2005

No, I can't. Too much hair.

Zakalwe posted:

Devin's also a very cool guitar geek. Be sure to check out his "Ziltoid the Omniscient" Heavy Metal Musical Comedy Concept album. Funny, extremely well produced with some very good songs. (Hyperdrive and The Greys are in my regular playlist)

Hey now, "Solar Winds" is an awesome song, too! :mad:

If you're interested in Devin, check out Ziltoid, but also grab copies of Accelerated Evolution and Terria. You won't be disappointed.

Edit:

To add a bit more content, I picked up a set of '57/'62 Fender strat pickups for my Number 1, and they are amazing. I always hesitated on pulling the trigger on them because I've played hum-canceling pickups for so long, but the noise isn't as bad as I remember it, and the tone more than makes up for it.

FlossMan fucked around with this message at 18:18 on Apr 18, 2008

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe

This thing is cute, it was idiotically cheap (100 euros for an 8-voice VA with 3 oscillators and modulation, try that, vintage) and factory preset 16 is Usher's "Yeah" sound to a T :whatup:

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

FlossMan posted:

Hey now, "Solar Winds" is an awesome song, too! :mad:

If you're interested in Devin, check out Ziltoid, but also grab copies of Accelerated Evolution and Terria. You won't be disappointed.

Good recommendations, but the most amazing "experience" of all the Devin Townsend albums is probably Ocean Machine/Biomech, with Synchestra coming in a close second for me. They're the two least heavy (on average) but they're just incredible examples of his excellence in composition and production. I can't start either of them without finishing them in the same sitting.

Schatten
Jul 7, 2002

Das ist nicht meine
schnellen Rennwagen

Ben and Stew posted:

On the cheap and highly recommended: Hearos! It doesn't decrease the volume of sound that much, it just gets rid of all the bad sound that is rushing in.

Livingston
Jun 28, 2007

Schatten posted:

On the cheap and highly recommended: Hearos! It doesn't decrease the volume of sound that much, it just gets rid of all the bad sound that is rushing in.

I used hearos before getting the custom ones. They were the reason I felt the need to make the switch. Hearos, and other foam earplugs, are terrible! They attenuate the highs a lot more than the lows; I think that is the reason why most people don't like to wear earplugs. Sure, they are better than nothing for ear protection, but they really change the frequency balance of what you're hearing - everything just sounds muffled.

Uncleanly Cleric
Oct 17, 2005

My most recent purchase. I've wanted a short scale, six string bass for almost ten years. Yeah, I'm a huge cure dork...

It's a Schecter Hellcat VI

Uncleanly Cleric fucked around with this message at 01:45 on Apr 19, 2008

breaks
May 12, 2001

Livingston posted:

I used hearos before getting the custom ones. They were the reason I felt the need to make the switch. Hearos, and other foam earplugs, are terrible!

I think he is talking about the cone/tree-style hearos, which are much better than the foam ones. I'm not really sure how they compare to stuff like what you got, I would assume they would be somewhat worse soundwise and definitely a lot less durable.

They are a shitload better than the foam ones though.

Schatten
Jul 7, 2002

Das ist nicht meine
schnellen Rennwagen
Not the foam ones, but these: http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Hearos-High-Fidelity-Ear-Filters?sku=421214

They help out quite a bit. I'm curious to know the ballpark range of the custom ones you acquired.

Last gig, a few nights ago, I used a few different elements that I haven't used before, one being the hearos, another being the Ric 4003, and another being the auralex pad under my markbass cmd 102P. I have to seriously play around with this stuff before grabbing what I think might sounds right in my rig. I kept thinking I was getting dead b and c notes on the a string but it might be something I'm hearing or not hearing, something being filtered out. hrmmmmm.

pennywisdom
Mar 21, 2004

Livingston posted:

I would also like to know how much these were, and how I would go about getting some to fit my ears.

Livingston
Jun 28, 2007

pennywisdom posted:

I would also like to know how much these were, and how I would go about getting some to fit my ears.

They cost $130 out the door - that includes both the molding and the fitting appointment with the audiologist.

I went here for my appointment. I would recommend going there if you live in or near L.A., they were very nice.

The first appointment, they put this pink, clay-like stuff in my ears for about 5 minutes (it was REALLY quiet while that stuff was in) to make the molds, and asked me if I wanted 9, 15, or 25 dB of attenuation (they all come with about a 40dB attenuator, plus which ever one you choose). Two weeks later the earplugs were ready to go, the doctor made sure they fit, and that was it.

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

Here's a clip of my Randall RG120PH. I can't find anything on Google, image or otherwise, but I did get an email back from the folks at U.S. Music who own Randall now. They sent me two manuals and a schematic for this amp :cool: It's from the late 1970s/early 1980s, from the Commander series. 1x15 speaker, one of the earliest Randall Jaguar speakers.

Demo was recorded in a bit of a hurry, but it'll give you an idea how the old Randalls from that time period sound when you overdrive them with something nasty.

PenguinBob
Oct 12, 2000
three Tungsol 12AX7s, quad of Groove Tubes EL84s, and an Eminence Private Jack speaker for my Crate V32. More gain and a nicer, less-muddy speaker. Yippee.

Tubes are not very interesting to look at so I'll skip the pics of those.

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

Can you post some clips of how that speaker sounds, dirty '70s hard rock overdriven? I'm thinking about making a 1x12 for my THD Univalve and I don't know what kind of speaker I want to use. I've almost decided not to go with my original plan of one of an English Celestion V30 because of how bright the amp is, but I want something that retains the clarity and punch of the V30 without its spikey upper midrange/lower treble. The amp doesn't have an effects loop or I'd just use an EQ... but half the fun of it is playing around to get "your" setup, so I figure I'll "eq" with a speaker.

Describe that one for me, please? I've had no experience with Eminence at all...

Sivias
Dec 12, 2006

I think we can just sit around and just talk about our feelings.

Just bought it tonight. I'm so excited.

5-piece Gretsch Ash Catalina with free 8" mounted Tom.

cheap sunglasses
Mar 22, 2002

by Ozma

Agreed posted:

Describe that one for me, please? I've had no experience with Eminence at all...

There's decent comparative samples on their site. I don't have any of the Red Coat series, but I have three different Patriot speakers- a Texas Heat in a Peavey Special 1x12, and a Black Powder and Swamp Thang in a Carvin 2x12.

The Texas Heat replaced a hosed Scorpion that I couldn't fix. It's really growly with distortion and kinda mellow clean, with an emphasis on low-mids that works well with Strats.

The other two are a pair recommendation from Earcandy Cabs, since the Swamp Thang is very low-end heavy and the Black Powder nails the upper mids and high end. They're in a Carvin MTS combo that gets a lot of poo poo for sounding way too harsh due to diode clipping, but a simple tube switch and rebiasing (factory specs are way too cold) fixes everything, to say nothing of the new speakers. The combo of the two hits a really broad spectrum of tone with no particular emphasis on any range- just very full all around. The cleans are sweet and not quite Fender but very pleasing, and the distortion is just nasty.

All in all I've been very pleased with Eminence so far.

Drazzy
Oct 5, 2003

If I had $20 right now, I'd probably put it towards one of my many bills that I have yet to pay.
I found this in my neighbors garage today, and his dad just gave it to me for free!

Peavey Companded Chorus CMC-1. It works, and sounds pretty cool. This thing looks pretty old. I opened it up and found a sticker stuck to the inside of the case and it said "03.02.88". I'm guessing that's the manufacture date.

Any idea how much this thing is worth, if anything?

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

I've seen several of those Peavey pedals with that style switch, never for more than $20 or $25 tops in good condition. Maybe there's a specialty market for them, but it seems to me they're kind of like the Ibanez Sound Tank series - not vintage, just old.

But if it sounds good, hang onto it and use it!

Drazzy
Oct 5, 2003

Haha that's kind of what I figured. Just an old pedal. I was just googling around and saw some site list one for $200 and I nearly shat myself. Then I saw others that had them for like $50.

Nothing on eBay to reference prices from, though. Guess I'll hold onto it and put it next to my 1982 MXR Distortion+.

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

Who knows, maybe there is a specialty market that isn't well reflected in used bin values? Hah, try offering it to that shop peddling the $200 one for a mere $100, tell 'em they can double their money...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

XYZAB
Jun 29, 2003

HNNNNNGG!!

Drazzy posted:

Haha that's kind of what I figured. Just an old pedal. I was just googling around and saw some site list one for $200 and I nearly shat myself. Then I saw others that had them for like $50.

Nothing on eBay to reference prices from, though. Guess I'll hold onto it and put it next to my 1982 MXR Distortion+.

Learn to search completed listings when pricing something out. Looks like $~50.