Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chairman Kaga
Jun 3, 2006
I FAG EVERYTHING UP BECAUSE I AM A WHINEY CUNT!

Since last summer, these and parts for two home made boost pedals (can't remember where the schematics are from). It is almost complete!

Oh, and I almost forgot:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PenguinBob
Oct 12, 2000
What's the need for two octave pedals? are you trying to make ears bleed, or trying to make bowels release?

Chairman Kaga
Jun 3, 2006
I FAG EVERYTHING UP BECAUSE I AM A WHINEY CUNT!

PenguinBob posted:

What's the need for two octave pedals? are you trying to make ears bleed, or trying to make bowels release?

The ultimate octave is mainly a fuzz pedal with a neat "octave" switch that is good for funky sounds. I really think Fulltone should rename it to something more fuzz-oriented, because most people that I know that use them use it as a fuzz.

The POG i don't use that much really. It is neat for the sub octaves mostly and can make some good sounds if you up the input signal. It makes my guitar sound like an organ! If I got rid of a pedal on my board It'd be that one.

XYZAB
Jun 29, 2003

HNNNNNGG!!
Here's that Telecaster I bought for cheap because of the bullet holes, totally converted to an Esquire with NOS 1950's capacitors, a Fender Samarium Cobalt Noiseless bridge pickup, a kill-switch and a HipShot Drop-D/G&B Bender.

I've had the guitar for nearly a year, got the pickup and hipshot a few months ago but haven't posted a picture. So there it is. :)

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

Handen posted:

Here's that Telecaster I bought for cheap because of the bullet holes, totally converted to an Esquire with NOS 1950's capacitors, a Fender Samarium Cobalt Noiseless bridge pickup, a kill-switch and a HipShot Drop-D/G&B Bender.

I've had the guitar for nearly a year, got the pickup and hipshot a few months ago but haven't posted a picture. So there it is. :)

Thats a horrible mess. I love it.

XYZAB
Jun 29, 2003

HNNNNNGG!!

Minto Took posted:

Thats a horrible mess. I love it.

Eh it does what I need it to. Had the frets leveled and got a new bone nut a few weeks ago, plays rhythm like a dream, whereas lead stuff is a bit tough on this one. Also the benders cause the strings to go way out of tune, so I've gotta widen the bridge holes and maybe find better top-loading 3/3 reverse offset intonation saddles, which I believe may not even exist.

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

Nothing terribly fancy, but it'll work decently for practicing without angering sleeping people.

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

The price of meat has just gone up, and your old lady has just gone down

Going to make the last payment on Thursday, then this comes home with me.

I've played this guitar between seven and ten hours in the shop, finally decided I had to have it. I don't really go out for the whole "Vine of Life" inlay nonsense, would prefer something a bit less gaudy, and overall the thing is more "bling" than any other guitar I've owned or own, but the playability and sound are absolutely fantastic, literally better than any guitar I've ever played (close second being an Ibanez Joe Satriani Signature guitar in red).

code:

CONSTRUCTION/SCALE:  Neck-Thru /25.5” 
BODY:                Mahogany w/ Quilted Maple  
NECK/FINGERBOARD:    Multi-Ply Maple & Walnut/Rosewood 
FRETS:               24 Jumbo 
INLAYS:              “Vine of Life” 
PICKUPS:             Seymour Duncan JB (SH-4)
                     & Jazz (SH-2n) 
ELECTRONICS:         Vol/Tone/5-Way Mega 
BRIDGE:              TonePros TOM w/ thru-body 
BINDING:             Creme (neck/headstock) 
TUNERS:              Grover 
HARDWARE:            Gold 
COLOR:               3-Tone Sunburst (3TSB) 
I really like how they've got it wired up, too. Great tonal options.

Agreed fucked around with this message at 16:03 on Apr 21, 2008

Zakalwe
May 12, 2002

Wanted For:
  • Terrorism
  • Kidnapping
  • Poor Taste
  • Unlawful Carnal Gopher Knowledge
Goddamnit Agreed I thought we talked about this :mad:

She's a beauty. Everything on that guitar is exactly how I would have chosen it too, from the scale length to the pickups to the bridge. Isn't the JB just loving awesome with heavy distortion? I also dig the 5 way switch.

Some day you HAVE to post a picture of ALL your gear.

Captain Organ
Sep 9, 2004
cooter. snooper.

Zakalwe posted:

Goddamnit Agreed I thought we talked about this :mad:

yeah I think it's pretty official that you have a problem mang.

noblystabbed
Jun 25, 2006

talls.donjis.com
Finally got cell phone pictures of my bass.

When I was attending MusicTech (now McNally/Smith College of Music) in downtown St. Paul, they had this little beaut in the bookstore/gear rental shop for $50. ~$300 worth of pickups, preamps, hardware, and shop-labor charges later, I have the instrument of my dreams.

I think the serial number means it was made in like 1980 or something (S967763). Regardless, the neck is pretty hefty, which fits nicely with my immense hands.

A close-up of my kinda scratched up barts which are powered by....

...an Aguilar OBP-1 and a big gently caress-off battery compartment! Hurray!

Other quirks of this bass include not being able to find a pickguard for it (the dimensions don't match up with any other p-bass), and no body contours (it's a flat piece of wood for the body).

There are a couple of minor things I need to deal with, like fret buzz (which I hope a new bridge will help with) and cleaning up the frets but other than that it sounds fuckin' awesome.

noblystabbed fucked around with this message at 19:34 on Apr 21, 2008

Livingston
Jun 28, 2007

:zombie:hiiitsss:zombie:

Agreed posted:

What model is this?

internet celebrity
Jun 23, 2006

College Slice

Livingston posted:

What model is this?

That'd be a C-1 Classic. Amazing instrument.

Last time I was electric guitar shopping, it came down to that guitar and the S-1 Elite. I ended up going for the S-1 because it was 100 bucks cheaper.

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

Agreed posted:

I don't really go out for the whole "Vine of Life" inlay nonsense, would prefer something a bit less gaudy, and overall the thing is more "bling" than any other guitar I've owned or own, but the playability and sound are absolutely fantastic, literally better than any guitar I've ever played (close second being an Ibanez Joe Satriani Signature guitar in red).
Don't worry about it. Everyone should be able to own at least one instrument decked out in bling. :)

beefnoodle
Aug 7, 2004

IGNORE ME! I'M JUST AN OLD WET RAG
This arrived today. 1957 Silvertone archtop acoustic. Made by Harmony (model H1215) for Sears' Silvertone label. I need to restore the tuners and clean it up a bit, but even as is, it's a lovely guitar for country fingerstyle blues.

(I'm a lovely photographer)

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

Minto Took posted:

Don't worry about it. Everyone should be able to own at least one instrument decked out in bling. :)

Yeah, I do like how it looks, I just know that I'm going to be afraid of hurting it. But it's worth it to me - I suggest everyone give one a try if they like how it looks at all, because it will make a believer out of you. Schecters are amazing guitars, and the setup on them is usually great from the factory.

Guys, I know you think I have a problem, but really I space things out and try not to

I played it and decided I needed it more than the store did. This is a very special pedal - it only sounds good with a super bassy amp. Otherwise it's a shrieking treble monster, and not in a good way. But put it into a bassy amp and it's sweet, sweet distortion.

The RG120PH 1x15 closed back combo, it turns out, is a super bassy amp.

:q:

Shartjorts
Mar 17, 2007

by Fistgrrl

Agreed posted:

Yeah, I do like how it looks, I just know that I'm going to be afraid of hurting it. But it's worth it to me - I suggest everyone give one a try if they like how it looks at all, because it will make a believer out of you. Schecters are amazing guitars, and the setup on them is usually great from the factory.

Guys, I know you think I have a problem, but really I space things out and try not to

I played it and decided I needed it more than the store did. This is a very special pedal - it only sounds good with a super bassy amp. Otherwise it's a shrieking treble monster, and not in a good way. But put it into a bassy amp and it's sweet, sweet distortion.

The RG120PH 1x15 closed back combo, it turns out, is a super bassy amp.

:q:

The Fab Tone is a very overlooked little distortion, good score!

ampleforth
Dec 23, 2004

So it goes.
Yes yes y'all... and ya don't stop. Uh to the beat, y'all... and ya don't stop.

ampleforth fucked around with this message at 21:42 on Apr 22, 2008

Enaku
Mar 17, 2008

I like that it's a little jerky

ampleforth posted:

Yes yes y'all... and ya don't stop. Uh to the beat, y'all... and ya don't stop.

Oooh, what's that?

Synonamess Botch
Jun 5, 2006

dicks are for my cat
Just bought this badass yesterday, obviously second-hand.

Man this poo poo is sweet as punch. I couldn't be happier.

Earlier I bought a Boss OD-3 which is a brilliant overdrive pedal. Shortly afterward whilst packing to move to a new place I found two formerly-lost pedals (and a guitar body...) stuffed into a box. So here is 1/3 new pedals 2/3 new-again pedals.

I never used the DS-1 as it is a hunk but, well, at least it's there, and I got my fat cat back. Yay.

jonnyfish
Oct 20, 2004

'ow's she cuttin' t'day skipper
Epiphone Les Paul

My first ever Les Paul. I really love it so far. Hopefully one day I'll be good enough to actually be able to justify the price of a Gibson. Oh, and I just want to add that honey burst is a billion times classier than that vulgar cherry burst :)

ZombiePeanut
May 11, 2007

by Fistgrrl

jonnyfish posted:

Epiphone Les Paul

My first ever Les Paul. I really love it so far. Hopefully one day I'll be good enough to actually be able to justify the price of a Gibson. Oh, and I just want to add that honey burst is a billion times classier than that vulgar cherry burst :)

My recommendation would be to rewire the whole thing. Pots, switch, pickups, everything. The wiring they come with stock isn't even close to the gibson spec, and the pickups suck.

Doing that makes a world of difference, and it's not all that expensive if you know how to solder.

ampleforth
Dec 23, 2004

So it goes.

Enaku posted:

Oooh, what's that?

It's a Digi002 rack, firewire recording interface. My studio is coming together now, and my mbox2 is now my home interface. So I got THAT goin' for me.

Synonamess Botch posted:

Just bought this badass yesterday, obviously second-hand.

I'm guessing that is a 1x12 by the tape, although i also could guess because I know what it is, but the tape is more fun.

ampleforth
Dec 23, 2004

So it goes.

jonnyfish posted:

Hopefully one day I'll be good enough to actually be able to justify the price of a Gibson.

In my opinon, it's best to go ahead and buy the guitar you REALLY want, firstly because it will sound and play better, secondly because you'll want to play/practice more, third because you always play better on an instrument that you like, fourth because life is uncertain, and last because I'm selfish and impatient.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

ampleforth posted:

In my opinon, it's best to go ahead and buy the guitar you REALLY want, firstly because it will sound and play better, secondly because you'll want to play/practice more, third because you always play better on an instrument that you like, fourth because life is uncertain, and last because I'm selfish and impatient.

I've kind of resigned to this stance for now (well, not the go ahead... but saving). Instead of getting an epiphone or 2nd hand gibson EB/SG bass, I'm just going to save up for another Lakland. Gonna go for a Skyline Hollowbody with some Darkstar pickups and put a Varitone on it. Probably end up costing about $1600-1700 after pickups and modding. So I figured why put down $300-$600 on something that isn't going to satisfy me completely.

Ideally it'll look like this (Varitone in place of the now useless coiltap since the Darkstars are actually single-coil; the 2nd rows are actually adjustment screws for the individual poles)

Scarf fucked around with this message at 02:17 on Apr 23, 2008

Steiler Drep
Nov 30, 2004
what?
It's almost a week old, as I bought it last Thursday, but I finally have my Epiphone Explorer.

I have it tuned in D standard/Drop C, and intonated it on monday (.012). I really want to change the pups to maybe GFS or something better, mostly the neck one as it gets way too muddy, but for now, it's my favorite of my three main axes.

why, hello there

Dr.Mosh
May 1, 2004
\m/
Just ordered myself my dream guitar, custom built 8 string.
Now I have to wait 3 months for it to arrive, which isn't all that bad for an entirely custom guitar I guess.

Specs:
8 string (F#-B-E-A-D-G-B-e)
Swamp Ash Body, slightly darkened with high gloss polish
28 5/8" Scale Neck, High grade flamed Maple with Ebony Fretboard, 20mm at 1st fret, 21 at 12th
55m nut
Custom built 70mm hardtail bridge with piezos by http://www.ets-hardware.com/index.php?page=products
Custom built pickups by Harry Haussel http://www.haeussel.com/, with coil tap.
Sperzel Locking Tuners

Pics as soon as I get it. Can't wait. Should get some of the build in a few weeks

Los Padre
Mar 26, 2007

Los Padre is an interesting and sensitive fellow.
What kind of body shape?

Dr.Mosh
May 1, 2004
\m/

Los Padre posted:

What kind of body shape?

Kind of a modern strat shape. Bit like this http://neu.siggiguitars.de/images/stories/img_customshop/customshop026_7.jpg

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 10 days!
What kind of amp are you going to be running that through?

Dr.Mosh
May 1, 2004
\m/

Stux posted:

What kind of amp are you going to be running that through?

My trusty ENGL Powerball, with ENGL vintage 30 cab

New Art Riot
Apr 4, 2006
Don't worry baby, there's nothing wrong about this, I'm a philosopher!

ps your hair looks very pretty tonight

Handen posted:

Oh man. Sound clips please!! :)

XYZAB
Jun 29, 2003

HNNNNNGG!!

New Art Riot posted:

Oh man. Sound clips please!! :)

I wish I could, don't have any mics or programs to do it. :( Give me a few months.

On topic, I just sold a Roland PG-200 and M64-C on eBay and used the Paypal funds to buy this:

I'll use it to replace the body on this Jag HH I just bought that had some dings:

I hope to have a custom tortoise shell pick guard made that's more like a Jazzmaster with no room for the Jaguar's chrome control plates, cut for a single humbucker...

...and no upper horn switches, then add some Graphtech Ghost saddles for 13-pin MIDI output. :haw:

That means I'm one step closer to this:

XYZAB fucked around with this message at 01:00 on Apr 25, 2008

Susano-maku da!
Nov 12, 2003

Hi. Did you order the Mongolian… Beef?
What were those clear pickups called again?

XYZAB
Jun 29, 2003

HNNNNNGG!!

Susano-maku da! posted:

What were those clear pickups called again?

http://www.q-tuner.com/index.shtml

I emailed them a while back to see if they could make the coils blue for pickups in my blue jaguar, to which they replied they were working on a method to paint the coils. Apparently it worked, but they'll only do silver and black, and I can't afford to throw them in that jag now. Plus, the DiMarzios sound great anyway.

Street Spirit
May 20, 2001

Ordering one of these tomorrow. Thanks grant money!

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Dr.Mosh
May 1, 2004
\m/

Handen posted:

That means I'm one step closer to this:

That looks great. But I don't know how that pickup will fare in the bridge position, never seen it used like that before.

XYZAB
Jun 29, 2003

HNNNNNGG!!

Dr.Mosh posted:

That looks great. But I don't know how that pickup will fare in the bridge position, never seen it used like that before.

I don't see why it wouldn't work? I was also considering an EMG of some sort, but have no idea about active pickups.

Dr.Mosh
May 1, 2004
\m/

Handen posted:

I don't see why it wouldn't work? I was also considering an EMG of some sort, but have no idea about active pickups.

I am sure it will be fine, it just seems like a very high output pickup that could sound a bit too piercing in the neck position. But then again, I don't know wtf :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

Brought my Schecter C-1 Classic home yesterday, polished everything pretty intensively with G'wax, restrung it with my gauge and gave it its first setup (by me, anyway - the guys at Schecter USA who do the post-factory setup are great, it was already well intonated and had good action - I did raise it a bit to eliminate some fret buzz, though). It is a phenomenal guitar, I am extremely impressed. And its gaudy appearance is starting to grow on me - it's definitely the best looking guitar in my collection. I'm even starting to dig the Vine of Life inlay. The inlay work is great, laser cut I'm sure, and the combination of materials is a nice touch (abalone for the vine, mother of pearl for the "Classic" at the 12th fret).

If anything will inspire me to take some pictures, surely this guitar will...