Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DSMArisen
Sep 10, 2007
Make it make money!

enojy posted:

do it! do it! is naoki, i don't care what anyone says. it's not ryu man use your fucken head

It's actually been confirmed to be Ryu. File order on the HD groups all artists together, and guess where Do it! Do it! is?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

DSMArisen posted:

It's actually been confirmed to be Ryu. File order on the HD groups all artists together, and guess where Do it! Do it! is?

i know i'm just completely going against that. i think it's konami playing a trick on the masses, since one of the kors k songs is just sorted out in the middle of nowhere, i think they did the same with this song. it just has naoki written all over it.

enojy fucked around with this message at 19:55 on Apr 18, 2008

Giudecca
May 14, 2006

i'm so glad i'm better than you are.

enojy posted:

if you'd like i can e-mail you a modified usbport.sys that ups the polling rate to 250hz and makes the USKOC lag-free (and hosed up turntable free) with a usb converter. alternatively, google "usb mouserate switcher" and you should find the frontend to modify the file on your own (it's reverseable in case something fucks up.) i've been AAAing 10s and some 11s using a USKOC, radioshack adapter, and usbport.sys at 250hz refresh.

For the record, if you are using the actual arcade hard drives to play, they have been hacked to cancel out excessively long turntable input. The only things that cancel them out, as far as I know, are official Konami hardware and software. The KOC is not included with that - the PS/PS2 games are coded to stop accepting turntable signal after a couple of milliseconds. A modified usbport.sys will not change turntable behavior at all.

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

Giudecca posted:

For the record, if you are using the actual arcade hard drives to play, they have been hacked to cancel out excessively long turntable input. The only things that cancel them out, as far as I know, are official Konami hardware and software. The KOC is not included with that - the PS/PS2 games are coded to stop accepting turntable signal after a couple of milliseconds. A modified usbport.sys will not change turntable behavior at all.

So perhaps we need a hack of joy2key?

And I've never been able to get the mouserate switcher to cancel my turntable problems no matter what rate I used, and no matter what game I used it with. USKOC and HVG2 USB adapter...

Giudecca
May 14, 2006

Then you probably aren't using the cracked config.exe on the arcade hard drives if it doesn't cancel out your problems.

Dr VideoGames 0.299
Feb 15, 2007

i really think you're overestimating how much
i love having dog shit smushed all over my face
Got my controller and Pop'n 13 today.

It's a different game than IIDX, obviously. Has an entirely different visual presentation as well as music selection (now I know that they mean pop music when they say Pop'n Music). It's not bad, just different. Though I sure as hell can't cart this out to the lounge like I did with IIDX without taking a godawful amount of flak; someone thought I was playing with a goddamn Fischer-Price toy. :mad:

I'm still developing the same sort of spatial awareness I did with IIDX. Until I went into free mode and mistakenly turned on the modifiers to bump up the speed and turn the goofy loving Pop-Kun into IIDX beats I wasn't really digging the game. Now I'm wholly committed to mastering Battle Without Honor or Humanity.

This isn't going to dethrone IIDX as my premier rhythm game any time soon, but it's a nice change of pace. I'll pick up Pop'n mixes when I see them cheap.

Also, how the gently caress do I select modifiers in Free mode? I accidentally turned them on and now I can't figure out how to do them again.

VgameT
Dec 31, 2007

therefore I only muttered "neu"
When you select a song and it goes to the screen with the song's character and banner and such, tap both yellow buttons to open up the modifier menu.

Lynx Winters
May 1, 2003

Borderlawns: The Treehouse of Pandora
If it's anything like what I remember, when you're on the screen that shows your song banner after you actually select the song (there's probably a crowd cheering noise too), hit both yellows to bring up the mods.

Zo
Feb 22, 2005

LIKE A FOX
I want Pop'n too :(

I've only played at the arcade where I go to play IIDX, and it is awesome to take a break and chill with a scrub song on it since I am a scrub at it. How are the home controllers compared to arcade style? I don't mind physical size differences as long as it still "feels" satisfying smacking the hell out of the buttons with your entire arm.

Xythar
Dec 22, 2004

echoes of a contemporary nation

Dr. Video Games 0029 posted:

Though I sure as hell can't cart this out to the lounge like I did with IIDX without taking a godawful amount of flak; someone thought I was playing with a goddamn Fischer-Price toy. :mad:

That's only until you get good at it :colbert:

Zo posted:

I've only played at the arcade where I go to play IIDX, and it is awesome to take a break and chill with a scrub song on it since I am a scrub at it. How are the home controllers compared to arcade style? I don't mind physical size differences as long as it still "feels" satisfying smacking the hell out of the buttons with your entire arm.

The expensive ones are pretty much the same as the arcade but they cost at least $200. The cheap ones are nothing like it but still fun (you won't get the feeling you're after though since they are like IIDX size)

Xythar fucked around with this message at 05:59 on Apr 23, 2008

Dr VideoGames 0.299
Feb 15, 2007

Zo posted:

I can't really say since I've never had the privilege of playing any Bemani game in an arcade (loving Metreon in San Fran was a huge bust) but the official Konami home controller's really tiny and really sensitive. Just a light touch sends off a button, which is the culprit in breaking combos, and not too helpful since I'm still trying to mentally map where all the buttons are.

I'm not emulating anything near an arcade experience, but sadly I can't invest quite that amount of money into this hobby.

JimmyBiskit
Nov 15, 2007

Giudecca posted:

Then you probably aren't using the cracked config.exe on the arcade hard drives if it doesn't cancel out your problems.

Not to poop on your parade, guys, but I'm pretty sure that this kind of stuff qualifies as :filez:, so it might be best if you keep discussion about it elsewhere, for safety's sake.

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free
You lucky jerks with Pop'n ASCs. :argh:

I love Pop'n because, like Zo said, it's a nice change of pace. I'm still a beginner at Pop'n and I'm only good at the beginner level stuff, but it's still an absolute blast. IIDX [at least for me] gets pretty intense and requires a lot of concentration even at mid-low levels [5 and 6 is where it starts getting that way to me], whereas Pop'n seems a little more forgiving. And Pop'n is MUCH MUCH MUCH easier to get into than IIDX - now, this could be bias since I was clearing 5s when I started playing Pop'n, and had developed a 'feel' for the style of game, but I was able to clear pretty much everything in the beginner menu in an hour or two in Pop'n 15. It took me over a month to do that in IIDX Red...

Giudecca
May 14, 2006

JimmyBiskit posted:

Not to poop on your parade, guys, but I'm pretty sure that this kind of stuff qualifies as :filez:, so it might be best if you keep discussion about it elsewhere, for safety's sake.

Okay. Knowledge of their existence is way beyond common knowledge, just like roms, emulators, etc., but I'll do it out of respect for you. You should quote this and post it on that one tracker, again bragging about how you post here. Thanks.

Dr VideoGames 0.299
Feb 15, 2007

Code Jockey posted:

You lucky jerks with Pop'n ASCs. :argh:

I love Pop'n because, like Zo said, it's a nice change of pace. I'm still a beginner at Pop'n and I'm only good at the beginner level stuff, but it's still an absolute blast. IIDX [at least for me] gets pretty intense and requires a lot of concentration even at mid-low levels [5 and 6 is where it starts getting that way to me], whereas Pop'n seems a little more forgiving. And Pop'n is MUCH MUCH MUCH easier to get into than IIDX - now, this could be bias since I was clearing 5s when I started playing Pop'n, and had developed a 'feel' for the style of game, but I was able to clear pretty much everything in the beginner menu in an hour or two in Pop'n 15. It took me over a month to do that in IIDX Red...

Yeah, a lot of this holds true. My significant other was being nice and humoring me with my weird Japanese videogames when she asked to try Pop'n. I'm really surprised how she's latched on to it, especially after all the poo poo she gave me for IIDX and how much she hates hates hates Japanese music. Whereas IIDX bewildered and pissed her off, Pop'n's incredibly forgiving grading scale has opened up the genre to her.

She still bitches about the music, but I can't blame her. It's really light and fluffy poo poo. Is there a Pop'n mix closer to the stuff found in IIDX? Or something with more traditional music in it?

Giudecca
May 14, 2006

Once you get past the easy songs, you forget about a lot of the crappy generic pop and anime tunes. Much like IIDX, all of the really good music is high in difficulty.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦
In Pop'n, the cool stuff is usually the hard stuff; although a lot of the ee'mall selections in Pop'n 14 are from 5key beatmania, so it's a little less poppy.

Elephunk
Dec 6, 2007

kimcicle posted:

kors k already has. Bowlmanifest 2007.

Anything planned for '08?

Dr VideoGames 0.299
Feb 15, 2007

Will clearing songs in Free mode in Pop'n unlock more songs, or do I have to play Arcade a lot? GameFAQs mentions punching in codes to unlock songs, but says the unlocks are not permanent.

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

Yeah, a lot of this holds true. My significant other was being nice and humoring me with my weird Japanese videogames when she asked to try Pop'n. I'm really surprised how she's latched on to it, especially after all the poo poo she gave me for IIDX and how much she hates hates hates Japanese music. Whereas IIDX bewildered and pissed her off, Pop'n's incredibly forgiving grading scale has opened up the genre to her.

She still bitches about the music, but I can't blame her. It's really light and fluffy poo poo. Is there a Pop'n mix closer to the stuff found in IIDX? Or something with more traditional music in it?

Oh hey look, you've got my life! :D

My wife is pretty eeehhhh on IIDX - back before I had my projector / separate gaming area I would hog the TV in the living room [since it's the only one that had component input] and subject her to hours and hours of CLICKCLICKCLICKCLICKCLICK every day. She eventually asked to give it a try, and actually kind of liked it, but she hasn't really played since. She isn't a gamer by far, and IIDX takes a lot of getting used to. I think she'd like Pop'n, though, exactly because of what you said - it's easier, the controller is easier to get used to, and I'd say the curve is muuuuuuuuch more forgiving as you get higher in difficulty.

Also, I totally agree, Guidecca - the harder stuff is far and away the most fun. I like having to work to complete a song, which is why I can't stand playing 3s and most 4s now. Once you get some of the more difficult patterns / chords down, it's an absolute blast.

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

Like an Accident posted:

Anything planned for '08?

From http://tokyogameaction.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2868:

Andy from Tokyo Game Action posted:

Bowlmani festival probably won't happen this year.

I will spare you the pages and pages of reasons why Bowlmani festival as we've known it, probably won't happen this year. Mostly because it involves things that I can't discuss.

There are a lot of issues on the table that will make concerts at the event impossible.I've done everything in my power to make this happen, but when taking everything into consideration, holding the event this year, as we've done in the past, is not in the best decision for TGA at this time. You will have to trust me on this one. If things change I will let you know asap.

For next year, if the situation changes, then the concerts and everything else will resume.

We'll discuss more of this later.

That really sucks, since I was planning on going this year. No big deal though, since TGA has been consistently springing awesome surprises on everyone all the time.

Elephunk
Dec 6, 2007

DizzyBum posted:

From http://tokyogameaction.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2868:

That really sucks, since I was planning on going this year. No big deal though, since TGA has been consistently springing awesome surprises on everyone all the time.

Is this "Bowlmani" the only instance of them coming state-side? Is there an official Ryu webpage or something? AFAIK, Ryu and Kors K have active performance careers along with their button game production jobs.

Googling for an obscure Japanese DJ named "Ryu" is really hard.

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

Like an Accident posted:

Is this "Bowlmani" the only instance of them coming state-side? Is there an official Ryu webpage or something? AFAIK, Ryu and Kors K have active performance careers along with their button game production jobs.

Googling for an obscure Japanese DJ named "Ryu" is really hard.

As far as I know, it's the only time they've performed in this hemisphere. If they were to perform stateside again, even outside of Bowlmanifest, no doubt the news would be posted all over Bemanistyle.com and other Bemani websites within hours of the announcement.

Elephunk
Dec 6, 2007

DizzyBum posted:

As far as I know, it's the only time they've performed in this hemisphere. If they were to perform stateside again, even outside of Bowlmanifest, no doubt the news would be posted all over Bemanistyle.com and other Bemani websites within hours of the announcement.

I heard something of a Ryu set in New York City from a friend who is still way too into the bemani scene, but I couldn't find confirmation of it anywhere online so it was probably him just talking out of his rear end again.

kimcicle
Feb 23, 2003

From what I've heard through the grapevine, kors k and ryu* were set to play at bowlmanifest 08 until Konami stepped in and pretty much told them "if you play this show, you'll be fired from Konami." *shrugs*

The first time kors k showed up everybody was under the impression that he wouldn't play any of his bemani stuffs. He quickly changed that and while everybody else enjoyed it, Konami themselves weren't too pleased.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

kimcicle posted:

From what I've heard through the grapevine, kors k and ryu* were set to play at bowlmanifest 08 until Konami stepped in and pretty much told them "if you play this show, you'll be fired from Konami." *shrugs*

The first time kors k showed up everybody was under the impression that he wouldn't play any of his bemani stuffs. He quickly changed that and while everybody else enjoyed it, Konami themselves weren't too pleased.

Considering you weren't there and you know about this, I guess the event organizers constantly telling people "don't tell anyone what he played or he might get loving fired" didn't work, huh. :v:

Boogaloo Shrimp
Aug 2, 2004

How many people attended Bowlmani 07? I'm sure 1 small concert in a location far removed from your primary market really cut deep into Konami's pockets and irrevocably damaged their IP :rolleyes:

VgameT
Dec 31, 2007

therefore I only muttered "neu"

Will clearing songs in Free mode in Pop'n unlock more songs, or do I have to play Arcade a lot? GameFAQs mentions punching in codes to unlock songs, but says the unlocks are not permanent.

You've got Carnival, right? Don't play free mode anymore! Play challenge mode instead. After each set it'll make you play a little minigame where it displays cards and you try to pick two that match. Doing this will unlock songs (it sounds weird, but give it a shot and it should make more sense.) Fortunately, unlike earlier releases, unlocking everything is just a straightforward process of playing challenge mode a lot until everything is done.

Unlike IIDX, Pop'n has a lot of songs locked from the beginning (which may explain why you're not thrilled with the song selection; all the awesome songs are probably still locked.)

kimcicle
Feb 23, 2003

Dewgy posted:

Considering you weren't there and you know about this, I guess the event organizers constantly telling people "don't tell anyone what he played or he might get loving fired" didn't work, huh. :v:

Well, I don't know what the whole songlist was, but I do know what he closed with. SO I don't know everything. :v:

leather fedora
Jun 27, 2004

The closest acceptable translation is
"die properly"
Yeah, if it's Konami putting the kibosh on the whole affair, that's pretty weird, considering TGA seems to be on good terms with them seeing as how they're buying their games.

Shame though. I went to the first one in '06 and it was flat-out amazing.

Speaking of live events, is there any way to check on when and where they perform?

Dr VideoGames 0.299
Feb 15, 2007

Finally saw my first IIDX machine in the wild: a 15th style at Golf Land in San Jose.

Any goons frequent the place? I'm driving my girlfriend to the airport this weekend; might stop over and actually run a few rounds with it, provided it isn't as crowded as it was when I was there.

Xythar
Dec 22, 2004

enojy posted:

i know i'm just completely going against that. i think it's konami playing a trick on the masses, since one of the kors k songs is just sorted out in the middle of nowhere, i think they did the same with this song. it just has naoki written all over it.

:smith:

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

Finally saw my first IIDX machine in the wild: a 15th style at Golf Land in San Jose.

Any goons frequent the place? I'm driving my girlfriend to the airport this weekend; might stop over and actually run a few rounds with it, provided it isn't as crowded as it was when I was there.

No kidding?

I'm heading there this summer at some point. It was originally to visit my wife's family, but now I have a reason to not weasel out of it. :neckbeard:

I'm going to go ahead and say this again - why the gently caress doesn't Seattle have a IIDX machine anywhere? :argh:

kimcicle
Feb 23, 2003

For any of you guys that go to those anime convetions, there's going to be an IIDX Gold machine at ACen this weekend.

And it's like, two more weeks till IIDX GOOOOOLLLLDDDDD CS.

Elephunk
Dec 6, 2007

Is there a final list of Gold CS songs out, including the SUPPURU COLLABOROATIONS W/ FEMALE VOCALUS?

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

kimcicle posted:

For any of you guys that go to those anime convetions, there's going to be an IIDX Gold machine at ACen this weekend.

And it's like, two more weeks till IIDX GOOOOOLLLLDDDDD CS.

I... I hate you. I hate you for telling me this. :arghfist::(

I was going to go to ACen, but I'm swamped as gently caress at work.

I'm trying to get in the staff for Sakura-Con next year, and by god, I'm going to beg until my knees are raw to get a machine there. Two years in a row, aaaaand no IIDX. :argh:

Xythar
Dec 22, 2004

Like an Accident posted:

Is there a final list of Gold CS songs out, including the SUPPURU COLLABOROATIONS W/ FEMALE VOCALUS?

Yes, plus previews:

http://www.konami.jp/bemani/bm2dx/gs/14gold/newsong/index.html

There might be like 3 more secret ones on top of that though.

Snyderman
Feb 23, 2005

I'm there every once in a while, I'll probably be going a bit more often once finals are over.

JimmyBiskit
Nov 15, 2007

This is the one on El Camino Real, right? I go there every once in a while, too, although I tend to avoid Arcademania. On off days, you can play all you want, as there's hardly ever a line.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

therealNeoS
Jul 13, 2001

JimmyBiskit posted:

This is the one on El Camino Real, right? I go there every once in a while, too, although I tend to avoid Arcademania. On off days, you can play all you want, as there's hardly ever a line.

This is SVGL (Or Sunnyvale GolfLand.)

Also who calls IIDX games 'styles' anymore? That's like soooo 2003.

Does anybody have any experience with the DJ Dao controllers and hooking them up via a Parallel port? I've tried PPJoy and Joy2Key never detects anything.

TWO DEE ECKS GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOLLLLLDDDDD MAKE IT MAKE MONEY!!