Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fletcher
Jun 27, 2003

ken park is my favorite movie

Cybernetic Crumb
What kind of specs are typical for a FC7 server hosting a PHP/MySQL application to 50-100 users peak? Can I get away with a VPS?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.
This is kind of a stupid question, I guess after all this time on Ubuntu I'm used to Windows and its "install something then it will work" approach.

I recently installed Code::Blocks. I can write stuff fine, but I can't find a compile option. The only section in the compiler settings window is the "Batch builds" section. I tried making a project, but that window seems to not work - there's nothing to interact with really, and the OK button remains greyed out.

I installed WXWidgets and the IDE's latest stable. I know I can compile fine since I can (and have been) compiling from the command line, and previous to trying Code::Blocks I was using Geany.

plaz
Jul 25, 2006

JawnV6 posted:

My hard drive is dying. I have another of the exact same size already in the system, completely unused (I'm stupid like that). The biggest files on there are a 10G VM image and a bunch of dvd images that i don't feel like reripping.

My grand plan is to unplug the failing one, use the 8.04 Live CD to format the blank one, then attempt to boot with the live cd and the bad drive attached and do a full copy. Exactly how stupid is this to attempt or is there any better method?

Yeah, that'll work fine - I've done that a few times in order to replace disks. The livecd is the best way to do it, but at a pinch you can just boot off the existing disk and drop to single-user mode.

Mount up your source and destination filesystems (in these examples, /path/to/source/ and /path/to/destination) - if you've got /usr/ or /home/ or any other filesystems split off, make sure you've got them mounted inside the source directory structure.

To do the copy, run 'rsync -av --progress /path/to/source/ /path/to/destination/'.

Finally, you need to install grub to the destination disk. To do this, you'll need to -

* Run 'chroot /path/to/destination/'
* If /boot/grub/device.map exists, delete it
* Run 'sudo grub --device-map=/boot/grub/device.map'
* Type 'quit' to exit the grub shell - we only wanted it to recreate the device.map file
* Look at the new /boot/grub/device.map and find the grub name (hdX) for the drive you've copied your files to.
* Run 'sudo grub'. At the grub prompt, run - (replace hdX with what you found in device.map)
- root (hdX,0)
- setup (hdX)
- quit
* Type exit to get out of the chroot
* In theory, you should now be able to pull out the old disk and boot off the new one. Make sure everything is working properly before you nuke the old disk ;)

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!

plaz posted:

...Mount up your source and destination filesystems (in these examples, /path/to/source/ and /path/to/destination) - if you've got /usr/ or /home/ or any other filesystems split off, make sure you've got them mounted inside the source directory structure.

To do the copy, run 'rsync -av --progress /path/to/source/ /path/to/destination/'....

Why wouldn't DD Be a good choice here? Something like dd if=/dev/hda of=/media/sda1? Wouldn't that mirror the drive exactly?

Mr. Eric Praline
Aug 13, 2004
I didn't like the others, they were all too flat.

deong posted:

Why wouldn't DD Be a good choice here? Something like dd if=/dev/hda of=/media/sda1? Wouldn't that mirror the drive exactly?
Yes, but it's only safe when the source disk isn't going to throw read errors.

(also, specify bs=1024k if you don't want to wait years for the copy)

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...
I've gotten the LiveCD to boot (after stupid pains), and just installed 8.04 onto the blank drive. Now when I let Ubuntu take a shot at mounting the drive, it either shows me just a few files or fails to mount entirely. I can't get it to show most of the files again like it did.

I'm screwed, right? There's no "Like, really mount it now, k?" command line magic?

Mr. Eric Praline
Aug 13, 2004

JawnV6 posted:

I've gotten the LiveCD to boot (after stupid pains), and just installed 8.04 onto the blank drive. Now when I let Ubuntu take a shot at mounting the drive, it either shows me just a few files or fails to mount entirely. I can't get it to show most of the files again like it did.

I'm screwed, right? There's no "Like, really mount it now, k?" command line magic?
Does it throw any errors? Watch your syslog as it mounts.

It might be as simple as specifying a few mount options, or fsck. You might also just be out of luck.

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Unless I'm on the inside curve pointing straight at oncoming traffic the high beams stay on and I laugh at your puny protest flashes.
I am Most Important Man. Most Important Man in the World.

chryst posted:

Yes, but it's only safe when the source disk isn't going to throw read errors.

(also, specify bs=1024k if you don't want to wait years for the copy)
Ddrescue could be worth a try in that case.

plaz
Jul 25, 2006

deong posted:

Only if both drives had the same geometry - you can get a (for instance) 750gig disk from two different manufacturers, and the capacities will be slightly different. Or the cylinders/heads/sectors values will be different, which will change the partition tables.

In any case, unless the disks are 100% used, using rsync or cp will need to do less disk access.

H0TSauce
Mar 12, 2002

Can anyone recommend me a decent VirtualHosting package for managing multiple sites on a web-host?

Over the last few years my company started hosting web-based apps in-house and as business increased, so too did our needs. Now we're running dual redundant web servers, dual db servers and some test boxes. We're bringing on a new client that's pretty heavy and i'm going to be upgrading our whole rig. I'd like to move away from hardcoding vhosts in apache and move to something like Plesk or cPanel, but i don't know much about the market in those products. Are there any decent open-source applications that do this kind of thing, and if so, which ones should i look at?

Note: All administration of these boxes is done by us, so while the ability to configure resellers etc would be a plus, it's definitely not needed.

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

chryst posted:

Does it throw any errors? Watch your syslog as it mounts.

It might be as simple as specifying a few mount options, or fsck. You might also just be out of luck.

Thanks. I'm at work, I'll check that when I get home.

I can always just get a magnifying glass and rebuild the inodes myself.

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...
Well, guess it's completely dead:

quote:

code:
Apr 25 17:45:45 jawn-desktop hald: mounted /dev/1 on behalf of uid 1000
Apr 25 17:45:57 jawn-desktop kernel: [  172.361780] ata3.00: exception Emask 0x0 SAct 0x0 SErr 0x0 action 0x0
Apr 25 17:45:57 jawn-desktop kernel: [  172.361786] ata3.00: BMDMA stat 0x25
Apr 25 17:45:57 jawn-desktop kernel: [  172.361792] ata3.00: cmd c8/00:08:3f:01:0c/00:00:00:00:00/e0 tag 0 dma 4096 in
Apr 25 17:45:57 jawn-desktop kernel: [  172.361794]          res 61/04:08:3f:01:0c/00:00:00:00:00/e0 Emask 0x1 (device error)
Apr 25 17:45:57 jawn-desktop kernel: [  172.361797] ata3.00: status: { DRDY DF ERR }
Apr 25 17:45:57 jawn-desktop kernel: [  172.361799] ata3.00: error: { ABRT }
Apr 25 17:45:58 jawn-desktop kernel: [  173.896298] ata3.00: failed to read native max address (err_mask=0x1)
Apr 25 17:45:58 jawn-desktop kernel: [  173.896303] ata3.00: revalidation failed (errno=-13)
Apr 25 17:45:58 jawn-desktop kernel: [  173.896308] ata3: failed to recover some devices, retrying in 5 secs
Apr 25 17:46:03 jawn-desktop kernel: [  178.887091] ata3: soft resetting link
Apr 25 17:46:06 jawn-desktop kernel: [  181.174580] ata3.00: failed to read native max address (err_mask=0x1)
Apr 25 17:46:06 jawn-desktop kernel: [  181.174585] ata3.00: revalidation failed (errno=-13)
Apr 25 17:46:06 jawn-desktop kernel: [  181.174590] ata3: failed to recover some devices, retrying in 5 secs
Apr 25 17:46:11 jawn-desktop kernel: [  186.165964] ata3: soft resetting link
Apr 25 17:46:11 jawn-desktop kernel: [  186.330722] ata3.00: failed to read native max address (err_mask=0x1)
Apr 25 17:46:11 jawn-desktop kernel: [  186.330727] ata3.00: revalidation failed (errno=-13)
Apr 25 17:46:11 jawn-desktop kernel: [  186.330731] ata3.00: disabled
Then tons of other fun errors after that.

I'll just start with this fresh install, should have most of my stuff on disks somewhere :saddowns:

fourwood
Sep 9, 2001

Damn I'll bring them to their knees.
I just installed Ubuntu 8.04 to get a feel for how it has cone along in the past couple of years. I installed the restricted NVidia driver and used nvidia-settings to configure my dual monitor configuration using TwinView. I was amazed with how easy this all was. I never even had to touch xorg.conf.

The only problem is that new windows pop up in the middle of the entire desktop span, leaving them straddling the border between monitors. It gets pretty annoying when every dialog box is split between the two monitors. Is there any way to get things to center themselves on the primary monitor?

Edit: Most programs seem to at least properly remember their last-used window positions, but smaller dialog boxes apparently don't do this and continually center themselves across both screens, regardless of the fact that last time I moved that particular dialog box.

crab avatar
Mar 15, 2006

iŧ Kë3Ł, cħ gøÐ i- <Ecl8

fourwood posted:

The only problem is that new windows pop up in the middle of the entire desktop span, leaving them straddling the border between monitors. It gets pretty annoying when every dialog box is split between the two monitors. Is there any way to get things to center themselves on the primary monitor?

I don't use an extended desktop, but maybe messing with the Place Windows Compiz plug-in's settings will help you. Install the package compizconfig-settings-manager and run it with System > Preferences > Advanced Desktop Effects Settings and find the Place Windows plug-in in the list.

Peanutmonger
Dec 6, 2002

fourwood posted:

Edit: Most programs seem to at least properly remember their last-used window positions, but smaller dialog boxes apparently don't do this and continually center themselves across both screens, regardless of the fact that last time I moved that particular dialog box.

Sounds like you need xinerama support in your applications. It's an Xorg option that programs have to support, but it gives them information on desktop properties, such as borders, so windows will "full screen" properly and spawn at the correct point for the "center". You still get goofy stuff with Java applications and other frameworks that don't give a crap, but for the most part it works well. I'm not sure how to install/enable xinerama in packages in Ubuntu, though. Chances are it will involve tweaking xorg.conf (You will never escape!), unless there's an Ubuntu widget for doing it automatically.

do it
Jan 3, 2006

don't tell me words don't matter!
I accidently just nuked /etc/lighttpd/ -- when I try to reinstall using apt-get remove + apt-get install I get:

code:
 * Starting web server lighttpd
2008-04-28 23:54:55: (configfile.c.901) opening configfile  /etc/lighttpd/lighttpd.conf failed: No such file or directory 
   ...fail!
invoke-rc.d: initscript lighttpd, action "start" failed.
How to I tell aptitude to reinstall the config files? Using Ubuntu.

Scaevolus
Apr 16, 2007

do it posted:

How to I tell aptitude to reinstall the config files? Using Ubuntu.

Use apt-get purge to delete everything, that should work.

fourwood
Sep 9, 2001

jegHegy posted:

I don't use an extended desktop, but maybe messing with the Place Windows Compiz plug-in's settings will help you. Install the package compizconfig-settings-manager and run it with System > Preferences > Advanced Desktop Effects Settings and find the Place Windows plug-in in the list.

Peanutmonger posted:

Sounds like you need xinerama support in your applications. It's an Xorg option that programs have to support, but it gives them information on desktop properties, such as borders, so windows will "full screen" properly and spawn at the correct point for the "center". You still get goofy stuff with Java applications and other frameworks that don't give a crap, but for the most part it works well. I'm not sure how to install/enable xinerama in packages in Ubuntu, though. Chances are it will involve tweaking xorg.conf (You will never escape!), unless there's an Ubuntu widget for doing it automatically.

NVidia's driver contains its own Xinerama extension, so I believe this shouldn't be an issue.

Thanks to you both for the help. I managed to fix it by explicitly turning on TwinView in xorg.conf. I guess turning it on in nvidia-settings is slightly less than perfect. But now everything is centered on my primary monitor, just like it should be.

yippee cahier
Mar 28, 2005

fourwood posted:

NVidia's driver contains its own Xinerama extension, so I believe this shouldn't be an issue.

Thanks to you both for the help. I managed to fix it by explicitly turning on TwinView in xorg.conf. I guess turning it on in nvidia-settings is slightly less than perfect. But now everything is centered on my primary monitor, just like it should be.

When you first turn it on, it won't take effect until you restart your xorg session, which is maybe what caused the problem.

Green Puddin
Mar 30, 2008

taken from the ubuntu thread

Aahhh poo poo!

I tried my hand in partitioning and hosed it the gently caress up. I need help...

unallocated is where the old Mint partition used to be. extended, ext3 and linux-swap should be what Hardy is.

I wanted to get the extra 44 gigs to use with the Hardy install and erased the Mint partition and set the boot flag with ext3 which is Hardy. But when grub boots I get "Error 17" and won't boot period.

I'm using a Live session with the poo poo rt drivers. My sessions have been freezing up when I try and download a large sum of packages and I can "hear" the pinging up to a climax until everything freezes and it's silent again. I think I can try downloading one app at a time but all I really have to work with is gparted or other small programs.

I need help. I miss Hardy. I'm so sad.

/media/disk is what gparted mounts when I load it up, so all my stuff seems to be intact.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.
I think that you can just expand your Hardy partition to the beginning of the drive. I think thats why it can't boot, boot managers like to be on the first x sectors of the drive. Yours isn't anymore. See if you can just expand your Hardy partition to fill the remaining space.

fourwood
Sep 9, 2001

sund posted:

When you first turn it on, it won't take effect until you restart your xorg session, which is maybe what caused the problem.

Running nvidia-settings with normal user permissions apparently won't get TwinView to stick permanently between X sessions. When I would restart X it would go back to only using my primary monitor. Adding TwinView options to xorg.conf seems to be a crucial step, so I guess that's why the "Save to X Configuration File" button is there.

Green Puddin
Mar 30, 2008

Raluek posted:

I think that you can just expand your Hardy partition to the beginning of the drive. I think thats why it can't boot, boot managers like to be on the first x sectors of the drive. Yours isn't anymore. See if you can just expand your Hardy partition to fill the remaining space.

It wouldn't expand. I had to reinstall. :( Thanks anyway...

Toupee
Feb 6, 2008

by Tiny Fistpump
Can someone point me in the right direction to get the restricted ATI drivers working in Ubuntu Hardy? Gutsy worked perfectly without any extra bullshit.

I try installing the drivers, though, and when I enable them all I boot up to is a black screen until I run recovery mode and use xfix.

I removed them completely, and then tried installing with EnvyNG and it gives me the same thing. I'm curious if I'm loving up somewhere, or if the 8.3 driver in the repositories is broke or something. I haven't tried the 8.4 driver directly from ATI.

ynef
Jun 12, 2002

BIG CRACKER posted:

Can someone point me in the right direction to get the restricted ATI drivers working in Ubuntu Hardy? Gutsy worked perfectly without any extra bullshit.

I try installing the drivers, though, and when I enable them all I boot up to is a black screen until I run recovery mode and use xfix.

I removed them completely, and then tried installing with EnvyNG and it gives me the same thing. I'm curious if I'm loving up somewhere, or if the 8.3 driver in the repositories is broke or something. I haven't tried the 8.4 driver directly from ATI.

Could you somehow give us the log file that is called /var/log/Xorg.0.log (or, if you're using X in that "broken mode", I think it's called /var/log/Xorg.0.log-old or something similar). It'll contain lines that point out where things went wrong.

Toupee
Feb 6, 2008

by Tiny Fistpump
It's rather big to copy paste, and I don't have any hosting :(

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=WVCJKSVU

On a side note - should just installing xorg-driver-fglrx and not even doing anything gently caress my computer up? I was just messing around, 'apt-get install'-ed it, then when I had to restart my session due to nautilus being rear end, didn't touch any config files or do anything other than installing, and I got the black screen. The GDM still appeared fine though, so I went into gnome failsafe, un installed the package, and it was fine again.

ynef
Jun 12, 2002

BIG CRACKER posted:

On a side note - should just installing xorg-driver-fglrx and not even doing anything gently caress my computer up? I was just messing around, 'apt-get install'-ed it, then when I had to restart my session due to nautilus being rear end, didn't touch any config files or do anything other than installing, and I got the black screen. The GDM still appeared fine though, so I went into gnome failsafe, un installed the package, and it was fine again.

Megaupload crashes my browser, can't check it out. :(

Ok, then -- since GDM comes up -- your X server seems to work, but perhaps you get crashing Gnome due to compiz and the desktop effects.

Perhaps you could try the following: start in failsafe gnome or terminal, and enter the following command: "gnome-appearance-properties" -- once you're there, go to the effects tab (whatever it's called) and set it to "none". Then try to log in as usual.

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!

BIG CRACKER posted:

I think this should work for you, I Copied your log and put it up on pastebin.
http://pastebin.com/ma116f65
Unfortunately thats about as much as I can help.

fletcher
Jun 27, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
What's a good way to monitor a server? I'd like to be able to see stats about apache, mysql, and bandwidth, cpu, memory, etc all on one page.

tehk
Mar 10, 2006

[-4] Flaw: Heart Broken - Tehk is extremely lonely. The Gay Empire's ultimate weapon finds it hard to have time for love.

fletcher posted:

What's a good way to monitor a server? I'd like to be able to see stats about apache, mysql, and bandwidth, cpu, memory, etc all on one page.

I know GenericAdmin uses RRDtool, I remember a front end for it to produce live streaming results.

edit: I am stupid Munin is the front end. Check it out here, it provides a web interface and is supposedly plug and play

edit2: Here is the munin live demo

tehk fucked around with this message at 21:09 on Apr 29, 2008

rugbert
Mar 26, 2003
yea, fuck you
What kind of compression rate does tar have?

Im trying to figure out whats going on with my backup scripts. df shows that the file system is about 9.3 gigs but my backups are only running about 3 gigs.

fletcher
Jun 27, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

tehk posted:

I know GenericAdmin uses RRDtool, I remember a front end for it to produce live streaming results.

edit: I am stupid Munin is the front end. Check it out here, it provides a web interface and is supposedly plug and play

edit2: Here is the munin live demo

Wow that is sweet! Setup is a breeze too. Thanks a bunch!

Mr. Eric Praline
Aug 13, 2004

rugbert posted:

What kind of compression rate does tar have?

Im trying to figure out whats going on with my backup scripts. df shows that the file system is about 9.3 gigs but my backups are only running about 3 gigs.
Tar by itself doesn't compress, and you should get a near 1:1 size.

using the -z switch gives you Gzip compression, and whatever rates go with that.
Using the -j switch gives you Bzip2 compression, which is usually a bit better than Gzip.

If you're backing up to tape and not using z or j, you're probably getting hardware compression, which is dependent on your tape drive.

It's also dependent on what's being backed up. Text compresses significantly, jpegs and mp3's barely at all, since they're already compressed.

Final thing to look at is what your script is doing. If it's running an incremental after a full, then your backup is only going to be a fraction of your full disk size.

JoeNotCharles
Mar 3, 2005

Yet beyond each tree there are only more trees.

BIG CRACKER posted:

Protip: When looking at x.org config files, search for "(EE)" to find the errors. (The different tags are described at the start of the file.) In your case the problem is

code:
(EE) RADEON(0): [dri] RADEONDRIGetVersion failed to open the DRM
Googling for that error gave me pages and pages of potential solutions, mostly from older versions of Ubuntu so they might not apply anymore, but worth a try.

BIG CRACKER posted:

Yeah, that doesn't surprise me. It might have installed some libraries that conflict with the working libraries you have, but earlier in the search path so they get used automatically, or it might make automatic changes to the config files that get removed when you uninstall the package. Most Ubuntu stuff is set up to activate as soon as you install it.

chizad
Jul 9, 2001

'Cus we find ourselves in the same old mess
Singin' drunken lullabies
This isn't really a linux specific question, but I figure this is probably the best place to ask. Are there any alternatives to Synergy? Needs to be cross platform (at least Win and Linux) like Synergy and have the same ability to let you use one keyboard/mouse between multiple systems with discrete monitors. I'm having all sorts of issues with the Synergy server (linux) randomly losing the connection to the client (XP). Sometimes I've got to restart Synergy on the client to get everything working again, sometimes I've got to restart the server. This has happened with two different Windows clients and with two different distributions (Ubuntu and Arch) on the server, and it's completely sporadic. Sometimes I can go days without any issues and others I've got to restart the client and/or server several times in one day. Any suggestions?

CheeseDog
Apr 22, 2005

Hagrid: "An' they haven't invented a spell our Hermione can' do."
i have been using ubuntu and other disro s on and off for a while.
But two things have always kept me on windows utorrent and my music.
but thanks to ubuntu 8.04, rtorrent/Deluge and university i am switching permanently.

My question is there a music player that is like pimpedfoobar/itunes.

I have a large music collection 100g+ well organised into artist then albums.

I sent sometime getting foobar the way i like it and quite prepared to do that again if need be.

Munkaboo
Aug 5, 2002

If you know the words, you can join in too
He's bigger! faster! stronger too!
He's the newest member of the Jags O-Line crew!
I've got a very simple iptables question.

Here's the setup for our network:

We've got about 10 computers in the house all going to a switch, and from that switch goes a cat5 to an ubuntu server with webmin in a guy's room that handles NAT firewall duties as well as DNS. Unfortunately our guy doesn't know how to forward ports in webmin.

There are 5 of us in the house that regularly use Xbox live and it takes us ages to play a game of Halo and now we cannot play GTA online due to the "moderate" rating on our firewall.

What's the command to forward all UDP port 88 and TCP/UDP 3074 packets to all devices in our network?

Also, say my local address is 192.x.x.99 and I want to forward port 8080 from the outside to my PC, what would be the command for that?

I've been trying to research it but I have zero experience with iptables, and the tutorials seem somewhat helpful but i want to make sure I'm not missing anything.

Would it be something like this: -a INPUT -p tcp --dport 3074 -j ACCEPT ?

Thanks a lot dudes

Munkaboo fucked around with this message at 13:46 on Apr 30, 2008

Blaster of Justice
Jan 6, 2007

by angerbot

CheeseDog posted:

i have been using ubuntu and other disro s on and off for a while.
But two things have always kept me on windows utorrent and my music.
but thanks to ubuntu 8.04, rtorrent/Deluge and university i am switching permanently.

My question is there a music player that is like pimpedfoobar/itunes.

I sent sometime getting foobar the way i like it and quite prepared to do that again if need be.

Have you tried Amarok?

yippee cahier
Mar 28, 2005

Quod Libet has a powerful search function and a variety of interface modes.

You also might want to check out a mpd based solution. You can have various programs access the server via command line to say set up your multimedia keys on your keyboard, or access the server over the network -- there's even web clients. It just takes a little longer to set up and the clients aren't as fully featured as some standalone music players.

Another shot is foobar under wine. Wine is pretty awesome these days, and it can't hurt to give it a shot. Don't stop trying out various native applications if you go this route though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tehk
Mar 10, 2006

[-4] Flaw: Heart Broken - Tehk is extremely lonely. The Gay Empire's ultimate weapon finds it hard to have time for love.

CheeseDog posted:

Banshee 1.0, it is in alpha but is already amazing and stable. It is designed to work fast with large music collections(unlike the earlier version). Other then that amarok.

Edit: The best thing about banshee 1.0 is filters. I have a 30k+ song library and I can easily filter songs in seconds. Banshee1.0 also starts fast, atleast compared to amarok, rhythmbox, and old Banshee.

There is a PPA for ubuntu, 1click install for suse, etc..
http://banshee-project.org/Releases/0.98.3 <-0.98 = 1.0 alpha
http://arstechnica.com/journals/linux.ars/2008/03/13/banshee-1-0-alpha-1-released

tehk fucked around with this message at 16:27 on Apr 30, 2008