Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hamer777
Jan 23, 2006

3toes posted:

Ok I've officially acquired Allen Woody syndrome

I believe the proper term is GAS (Guitar Acquisition Syndrome) according to the ESP forums

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZombiePeanut
May 11, 2007

by Fistgrrl

Hamer777 posted:

I believe the proper term is GAS (Guitar Acquisition Syndrome) according to the ESP forums

Allow me to help you out here.

quote:

Woody was a respected bass guitarist - he had a large collection of bass guitars (around 450), featured in his own bass instruction video and was held in high esteem for his playing. His proficient technique was characterized by steady playing of the 16th note, while maintaining consistent rhythm.

greasygranny
Apr 25, 2008
just bought my first bass! (I'm a guitar player) bought it for $140 shipped off of http://acapella.harmony-central.com/

ibanez gsr 200. roast on how beat up it is but I think it looks pretty sweet

Exploded
Sep 13, 2002
I TAKE ATTRROCIOUS AMMMOUNTS OF ACID SO EVERYBODY will LIKE IT AND BE FNIE

Agreed posted:

Brought my Schecter C-1 Classic home yesterday, polished everything pretty intensively with G'wax, restrung it with my gauge and gave it its first setup

I'm not a fan of the inlay either but for some reason it looks pretty alright on that guitar. That's a cool rear end guitar.

Also that honeyburst les paul looks fuckin sweet.

herculesrockefeller
Jun 9, 2006

greasygranny posted:

just bought my first bass! (I'm a guitar player) bought it for $140 shipped off of http://acapella.harmony-central.com/

ibanez gsr 200. roast on how beat up it is but I think it looks pretty sweet

Did the previous owner take a belt sander to it or something?

an AOL chatroom
Oct 3, 2002

herculesrockefeller posted:

Did the previous owner take a belt sander to it or something?

Judging by the wear around the pickups, that's what it looks like.

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

The price of meat has just gone up, and your old lady has just gone down

bisticles posted:

Judging by the wear around the pickups, that's what it looks like.

Yeah... if that was real, whoever owned it really couldn't decide what pickups he wanted.

juicy_J
Jun 25, 2004
I.O.U. one gmail invite
You paid $140 for that? You got ripped off big time.

You could have gotten a brand new GSR200 for $200, and it wouldn't have had a terrible relic job

juicy_J fucked around with this message at 02:38 on Apr 26, 2008

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

Here's a clip of my two most recent acquisitions, the Schecter C-1 Classic and the Dan-o Fab Tone. The Fab-Tone kicks in when everything goes to hell, it'll be pretty goddamned obvious. This pedal is so deliciously over-the-top. I'm overdriving it with one of my Wasabi Overdrives, and it's got a Fish n' Chips EQ after it to make it sound awesome instead of rear end-some. The backing track is courtesy of some dude on the HC forums who posted a load of them. I'm finally digging in and studying modes, so forgive me if I overdo it a bit mixing them up.

I love the tonal range of this guitar thanks to the venerable pickup combination (Jazz + JB is my favorite pickup combo from Seymour Duncan, hands down) and the excellent switching system.

the wizards beard
Apr 15, 2007
Reppin

4 LIFE 4 REAL

Agreed posted:

I like this, but it has the same problems as the other demos you posted - the backing is cheesy as gently caress.

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

Beggars can't be choosers :) I don't argue with free backing tracks for doing little tone and/or gear demos. Sorry if it bugs you, though. What do you think about the raunchy fuzz-stortion of the Fab-Tone? It's something else.

the wizards beard
Apr 15, 2007
Reppin

4 LIFE 4 REAL
I see where you're coming from man, just I think when the backing is a short loop that doesn't go anywhere anything you put over it will sound like noodling.

Fab-Tone is nice, seems to do the sustain of a fuzz and has mad harmonics like a high-gain distortion. Sounds it doesn't completely change the tone of the guitar either, it's like a clean and dirty tone if that makes sense. Sounds kind of bright, is that just how you have it set or is it the pedal itself?

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

Yeah, well, it is just noodling, you know? Not trying to score any musical points, just demonstrate a few pieces of gear. My wife brought a USB adapter cable home today but it turned out it was the wrong one, so I still can't take pictures... But at least this way I can demonstrate how my newest instrument/gear purchases actually sound, which is probably even more important than how they look, really. I don't know if it's outside the scope of this thread, but I've been doing it ever since I started posting in it, so :q:

The pedal has insane levels of treble and bass. The EQ controls both have a few wierdnesses about them - there are three "sweet spots" of just a few degrees, one all the way rolled back, one right in the middle, and one totally cranked. But settings between those sweet spots sound lovely, and also it changes the tone pretty drastically... hard to describe.

But it is an exceptionally trebly pedal. I've got it EQ'd to sound like I want it - I don't want to give away everything about it, because thankfully most people still hate this pedal enough that it could be a "secret weapon" ;), but in seriousness the key is to roll back a shitload of treble with an EQ and sculpt the midrange to your preferences. Remember that the tone changes for the worse when you try to EQ with the pedal alone - you need to dial it into its best fundamental gain sound, and then use an EQ after it to shape the tone. You can roll the treble back on the pedal, but the whole distortion character changes.

I'll record a clip where I don't use any EQ at first then turn the EQ on - you'll see that without EQ it sounds like plugging a distortion pedal into a PA with the tweeter on. Really astonishing difference that EQ makes, but that's why I've got two EQ pedals.

Agreed fucked around with this message at 02:13 on Apr 27, 2008

greasygranny
Apr 25, 2008

juicy_J posted:

You paid $140 for that? You got ripped off big time.

You could have gotten a brand new GSR200 for $200, and it wouldn't have had a terrible relic job

Yeah I know but I didn't want to spend that much, ended up getting it for $130. the relic job doesn't really bother me. I actually think the guitars and basses with new polyester or polyurethane finishes (most of them under $1500) look bad

ONE- TWO- TESTING
Nov 4, 2006

by Fragmaster
I went a bit mad at the start of this year and decided to blow a load of money I'd saved up.
Gibson SG standard.

Gibson ES-135 This has started to show some lifting of the finish on the headstock, which really pissed me off when I noticed it last week.

A PRS copy thing. Don't even know who makes these but it's nice to play and I liked the finish on the top.

Marshall 100/50 watt stereo valve amp and flight case. The Pod is a few years old now.

Two 1x12 Marshall cabs. Got these for next to nothing from ebay.

Yamaha 01v mixing desk.

TC Powercore and a Virus plugin for it.

Edirol 6x6 firewire interface. This is a bit crap really, the outputs are noisy.

I won't be buying anything for a while apart from a Les Paul standard if I can find a used one at the right price.

The Sandwich Maker
Feb 19, 2008

You want a sandwich? Have a sandwich. Have a danish.
I went into the guitar store yesterday to grab a white Eastwood Hi Flyer they had, but when I walked in, I saw something else that I just had to have.

The neck is just fantastic and the smaller size is way easier for me to play than the 3"-deep body of my Artcore. And if they put that headstock and those tuners on a moldy piece of driftwood strung up with rubber bands, I think I'd still buy it.

Los Padre
Mar 26, 2007

Los Padre is an interesting and sensitive fellow.

ONE- TWO- TESTING posted:

Hey, where I come from, we call that allure.

internet celebrity
Jun 23, 2006

College Slice

I went a bit mad at the start of this year and decided to blow a load of money I'd saved up.

[Lots of expensive poo poo]

Jesus Christ, man. You're way too loaded to be a musician.

Livingston
Jun 28, 2007

:zombie:hiiitsss:zombie:

The Sandwich Maker posted:

Why is the burger king mascot on there?!

qball
Aug 1, 2002

You could go and have a bite, and you'd still be hearin' that one.
Emma DiscumBOBulator

I'm loving the sound of this set for a really wide fat wah.

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe

Sorely needed, because of this:

I now have a MIDI-fied Roland Juno-60 which is all kinds of awesome! The MIDI's very basic, though; just note info, but that's enough for me. This week, I'm going to repaint and rebuild the studio.

MOTU's apparently one of the last 8-port builders out there. Midex is dead, the Emagic AMT8 is dead (and I don't have Logic), Edirol quit with their UM really quickly, ESI's crap, M-Audio has 4 ports at most, and even Digidesign quit with their 8-port ProTools (which I don't have anyway) MIDI interface.

I'd kill for M-Audio to make a new 8x8 with an open accelerated timing/linear timing system with high-quality drivers so every host could just use those and have tight MIDI timing.

Shanghai Gumbo
May 31, 2004

by Fragmaster
Strongly considering blowing my stimulus check on this:

but I can't decide on that or the blue:

PenguinBob
Oct 12, 2000

Philly Mansteak posted:

it's this one

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

Seconding the blue. And that's an amazing guitar, by the way.

Thoogsby
Nov 18, 2006

Very strong. Everyone likes me.

Agreed posted:

Seconding the blue. And that's an amazing guitar, by the way.

It looks cool as poo poo....what is it?

dr cum patrol esq
Sep 3, 2003

A C A B

:350:

Thoogsby posted:

It's a Godin.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 12 days!
That is an amazing looking guitar and I dont even usually like quilted/flamed/whatever maple tops.

The Sandwich Maker
Feb 19, 2008

You want a sandwich? Have a sandwich. Have a danish.

Livingston posted:

Why is the burger king mascot on there?!
I've got that mask hanging from a hook on my ceiling and when I uploaded the pictures I just hoped nobody'd notice that creepy reflection.

Philly Mansteak posted:

Really dig those understated dots on the leftmost side of the fretboard. They remind me of the Gretsch thumbnails, which look so classy and those on the Godin are just as slick.

Ben and Stew
Mar 31, 2006

Woah!

Philly Mansteak posted:

Strongly considering blowing my stimulus check on this:

As the owner of an XTSa, you will not be disappointed with this decision.

Nutmeg
Feb 8, 2004
I finally got a gretsch about 2 months ago and it's everything I hoped for. My only beef is the pickups but after I switch them out with tvjones it'll be perfect.

Nutmeg fucked around with this message at 20:15 on Apr 28, 2008

Shanghai Gumbo
May 31, 2004

by Fragmaster

Thoogsby posted:

This is the particular model: http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Godin-LGXSA-AA-Flamed-Maple-Top-Electric-Guitar?sku=511920

I guess my only reservation is that the synth access is 13 pin and not regular ole MIDI, but there is virtually nothing else about it I don't like

XYZAB
Jun 29, 2003

HNNNNNGG!!

Alfa Tard
Sep 30, 2002

Stoopid Noobie

Oooo I want one of these! Thinking of selling my Precision to pay for it too, how do you like it?

JohnnySmitch
Oct 20, 2004

Don't touch me there - Noone has that right.

Handen posted:

All 3 of these are awesome, and I'd be hard pressed to even say which one I like best.

Schatten
Jul 7, 2002

Das ist nicht meine
schnellen Rennwagen

Handen posted:

Is the black one on top a modified 62 reissue with the added b-bender or...?

XYZAB
Jun 29, 2003

HNNNNNGG!!

Schatten posted:

Is the black one on top a modified 62 reissue with the added b-bender or...?

It's just a modified '62 ri with a bridge cover. I put the B-Bender on my Telesquire.

ONE- TWO- TESTING
Nov 4, 2006

by Fragmaster

Alfa Tard posted:

Oooo I want one of these! Thinking of selling my Precision to pay for it too, how do you like it?

Really like it, bought it mainly for recording as I thought there might be problems with feedback using it on stage but I have used it live half a dozen times now and it's been as good as gold, no nasty squealing and we play fairly loud. I think I probably paid too much for it, £700 without a hard case but with a padded gig bag,I've seen them cheaper since. Isn't that allways the way?

PenguinBob
Oct 12, 2000

Handen posted:

that blue one is hotter than the sun. is that smoked chrome hardware?

XYZAB
Jun 29, 2003

HNNNNNGG!!
Yeah. I've been calling it anodized nickel but smoked chrome sounds good too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

That Guy From Pearldiver
Apr 18, 2001

President and Sole Member of the Andre Braugher Appreciation Society
This

or these

Haven't decided yet. Leaning towards the Jampaks because I use the other three pretty often and it would be nice to have the collection.