Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Recycle Bin
Feb 7, 2001

I'd rather be a pig than a fascist
Finished Lord Of Light by Zelazny. I knew a bit about Hindu religion going in, but I still had trouble keeping up with the names of all the characters. Each chapter is more or less a self contained story that contributes to the overall plot of the book. I enjoyed the format, but by the final chapters I got the feeling Zelazny was rushing, trying to finish up the book before it broke 300 pages.

I'd recommend it for fans of sci-fi and Gaiman's American Gods (which is itself inspired by Zelazny). It's easy to get lost though, as it jumps from flowery prose to more down-to-earth colloquialism constantly, and there are a lot of metaphors for things that are never fully explained.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Ask me where I do my best drinking!

Pillbug

Recycle Bin posted:

I'd recommend it for fans of sci-fi and Gaiman's American Gods (which is itself inspired by Zelazny). It's easy to get lost though, as it jumps from flowery prose to more down-to-earth colloquialism constantly, and there are a lot of metaphors for things that are never fully explained.

I found listening to the audiobook to help with that. I quite enjoyed it.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

I finished Iron Council by China Mieville, and did William Gibson's Idoru over the weekend. Both great. Iron Council had a lot of Mieville's politics in it, which was the main complaint I'd seen, but I really don't see the reason for the bitching. It fit perfectly well into the setting, and the story built around it is excellent.

Idoru was probably the easiest of Gibson's novels so far (I'm working chronologically). Usually I have no idea what the gently caress the book is about until the last 50 pages, but this one was clear much earlier. Definitely a major shift from Neuromancer. I'm not sure what to say without giving anything away, other than that it was good and had his usual prescience about cultural changes. The Bridge books are also a lot more directly connected together than the Sprawl ones were, so it's more important to read these in order if you're looking to pick them up.

Scruffy the janitor
Dec 31, 2007

A greater tragedy my eyes have never beheld
I just finished reading Vellum and the sequel Ink by Hal Duncan. I had to struggle to make it through most of the first book because it jumps around and doesn't seem to be going anywhere, but things seem to come together at the end of the first, and the entire second book is more interesting and less confusing than the first. I would have to say that Jack and Joey are the two most interesting characters and Duncan seems to focus more time on actually looking at their characters than the others in the books. I'm not sure if I could recommend them to anyone, but it is something different.

toro913
Aug 7, 2007
Dead Air - Iain Banks, the story was all over the place. He'd start one thing which seems important and finish it a few pages later and then go off on something completely different. I'm still not sure what the whole beginning of the book was about (throwing stuff off the building right before 9/11). His dialogue can be very funny, especially when it's between Ken and his friends, but some of his rants were way too heavy-handed.

Patrovsky
May 8, 2007
whatever is fine

The Mists of Avalon by Marion Zimmer Bradley. A pretty entertaining read that did seem to drag a bit before the end, but it was pretty long and I was tired, so it might have been that as well.

maxnmona
Mar 16, 2005

if you start with drums, you have to end with dynamite.

LooseChanj posted:

Am I the only person who thought this book was awful? It's full of all the things that make bad fantasy and sci-fi bad. It's full of the things I roll my eyes at during bad Star Trek episodes. And it's far too long.

I didn't find Perdido Street Station absolutely terrible, but I didn't find it very interesting either. I read it half-heartedly until I happened to find a book I wanted to read more and then I haven't bothered to go back to it. The plot was unfocused and only fitfully entertaining, the characters didn't really have much personality, and the sci-fi elements were really dumb. I think I'm making it sound worse than it is, because it's not even interestingly bad, it's just mediocre.

SaviourX
Sep 30, 2003

The only true Catwoman is Julie Newmar, Lee Meriwether, or Eartha Kitt.

Why do you even try to read fantasy, max? You make all these half-assed attempts and then comment about how it's so boring and trite le sigh, and then spout some poo poo about Nabokov, and then any time someone ever mentions fantasy again, you're quick to pipe up that you don't like it.

Though I somewhat agree about PSS. The city is what matters the most in the book, and it's the most interesting character.

maxnmona
Mar 16, 2005

if you start with drums, you have to end with dynamite.

SaviourX posted:

Why do you even try to read fantasy, max? You make all these half-assed attempts and then comment about how it's so boring and trite le sigh, and then spout some poo poo about Nabokov, and then any time someone ever mentions fantasy again, you're quick to pipe up that you don't like it.

Though I somewhat agree about PSS. The city is what matters the most in the book, and it's the most interesting character.

I thought it was science fiction, which I don't dislike. I really like Snow Crash, and I don't really care about the stigma which has appeared around it for some reason. And I've also really enjoyed some non-traditional fantasy stuff like American Gods , so I'm not inherently against reading a book like that. I'm just against reading bad books, which in my experience has included almost all fantasy.

If I have reason to think that the book might be good, then I'm happy to give it a try despite my reservations with the genre. I gave George R R Martin a try because HBO was making a series from it. I gave Perdido Street Station a try because the author sounded like an interesting guy. I really don't care about my literary penis length, I'm just interested in good books and annoyed by bad books.

QVT
Jul 22, 2007

standing at the punch table swallowing punch

maxnmona posted:

I didn't find Perdido Street Station absolutely terrible, but I didn't find it very interesting either. I read it half-heartedly until I happened to find a book I wanted to read more and then I haven't bothered to go back to it. The plot was unfocused and only fitfully entertaining, the characters didn't really have much personality, and the sci-fi elements were really dumb. I think I'm making it sound worse than it is, because it's not even interestingly bad, it's just mediocre.

I hate that you make my posts for me. I liked the city and something about it reminded me of London where I enjoyed being so I found it a bit better than you. And I did make it through.

SaviourX: I can't speak for max in personal matters but pretty much all I read was fantasy until I decided to take a break from GRRM to read Lolita, and I haven't been able to go back to it. It was really cool to enjoy back then and I've found Gene Wolfe since then and he is an amazing stylist who writes more like Borges than Jordan, but I'm still chasing the dragon of good books in any genre, not just fantasy. It's immature and petty but I put down Dresden Files because there was a comma splice in the first sentence. I know I use them and everybody uses them but gently caress that guy should buy a better editor. I be fourteen and just go into Borders and look for books with the coolest dragons on the cover. And Snow Crash was cool, although I apparently need to read Neuromancer to understand it better.

Quality Content:
I just finished The Great Gatsby and that book has been done the greatest disservice in literature this side of Lolita and the Odyssey. While the prose is very good and incredibly effective and the plot itself is pretty cool, the real amazement I had was with Fitzgerald's use of imagery. I remember vaguely being in 11th grade and having my teacher try and convince us of this, but Gatsby is really a book that sticks better when you are older. The green light breaks your heart and seeing Tom as this vengeful wannabe bad rear end is much easier now that I know people whose best days were in high school. I'd suggest that everybody give it another shot if you've read it already, and if you're from a country where it isn't read you should really read it. I have no idea how widely studied Fitzgerald is in other English speaking countries.

antiloquax
Feb 23, 2008

by Ozma
Raw Shark Texts.

I skimmed a lot of it because it got quite repetitive and boring. Pretty much all of the conversations were identical to one another, the "Oh no! Run!" element was overused, and I didn't like any of the characters. It was a great idea, and I think it would have done well if he wasn't focused on the premise so much. It didn't even really get interesting until page 170.

I also disliked the need to fill pages with random crap that didn't really help the story at all. It reminded me of having an assignment in school where you'd have to write X pages, only you'd be finished in half the alloted space, so you'd double the font, and put in a bunch of random drawings throughout.

Not bad, but not that great in my opinion. I'm pretty sure I'm going to regret House of Leaves too.

Capn_Marrrrk
Apr 12, 2007
Yarrrr!
I'm currently reading The Culture books of Ian Banks: http://io9.com/354739/welcome-to-the-culture-the-galactic-civilization-that-iain-m-banks-built

In order I've read Consider Phlebas, Player of Games and Excession.

They have exceeded any and all boyhood day dreams, flights of fancy, and imaginary journeys with their Epic Space Opera Drama.

Do you like:

Sentient Computers that have the bulk of their minds residing in hyperspace?

Ringworlds, Dyson Spheres, Huge...HUGE loving space ships?

Alien cultures and Elder Races.

Explosions and Assassination Attempts.

Smart rear end flying drones?

Explosions?

While there are some cliches, most of them get turned on their head. Due to the fact that the computers are so loving fast, and weapons so epic, battles are over over in seconds from light years away. Which makes me wonder...why the hell the Enterprise or any space ship needs to even be flown by a human.

Excession left me :wtf: due to some story complexity, but I enjoyed it irregardless...regardless...gently caress...anyway.

Capn_Marrrrk fucked around with this message at 17:20 on May 1, 2008

Angrykraut
Jul 23, 2004
Kitchen Confidential By: Anthony Bourdain

I really like his travel show, so I had been looking forward to reading this for some time. It didn't disappoint. However, after following his show, reading some articles and small pieces he's written, I didn't find a whole lot of new ground. Individual anecdotes may have been new, but themes were very familiar. His voice in writing is the same as that on his show, so if you're a fan of that you'll enjoy the book too. In addition to being entertaining, it had practical advice for the home cook, diner, or wannabe chef and restaurateur. All in all a good read.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

Capn_Marrrrk posted:

I'm currently reading The Culture books of Ian Banks: http://io9.com/354739/welcome-to-the-culture-the-galactic-civilization-that-iain-m-banks-built

In order I've read Consider Phlebas, Player of Games and Excession.

Excession was cool because you get a closer look at the Ships, who are very interesting characters in themselves. I didn't like the story that much though, just your standard "Mysterious, powerful artifact" yarn. I really liked Use of Weapons, but The Algebraist was rather disappointing, and I couldn't get in to Inversions or Look to Windward, though I may try again since my "to read" stack is beginning to dwindle. All in all I think Iain M Banks has some really cool Big Ideas, and writes engaging enough prose (I like his tounge-in-cheek type humor), but the stories don't impress me very much, Weapons excluded. That said, I've heard that Consider Plebas and Player of Games are supposed to be pretty good, so I may yet give his SF another chance. At any rate, I'm still interested in picking up some more of his regular fiction after having read The Wasp Factory.

I read The Pilgrimage by Paul Coelho and man did it suck. It's sort of like The Alchemist only entirely filled with bullshit mysticism, rather than marred by moderate doses of it. All I've got left of his is The Zahir, then I'm going to sell all of his poo poo off (minus The Alcehmist) to the used bookstore. Yech.

Beichan
Feb 17, 2007

pugs, pugs everywhere
Just finished If Nobody Speaks of Remarkable Things by John McGregor. The first chapter was posted in the Memorable Quotes thread (here) and captured my attention so powerfully I went and got it from the library the day after I read it. I've been having trouble concentrating on reading for a long while because of stress, and it's the first book in a couple years that I just lost track of time with.
For some reason it felt better reading it aloud, it's just written that way. If I can get anyone to sit down with me I'd like to read it to them. Except I would probably have trouble not crying.

Next in my pile of library books is Killing Yourself to Live by Chuck Klosterman, which I also picked up because of that thread.

Capn_Marrrrk
Apr 12, 2007
Yarrrr!

Pompous Rhombus posted:

Excession was cool because you get a closer look at the Ships, who are very interesting characters in themselves. I didn't like the story that much though, just your standard "Mysterious, powerful artifact" yarn. I really liked Use of Weapons, but The Algebraist was rather disappointing, and I couldn't get in to Inversions or Look to Windward, though I may try again since my "to read" stack is beginning to dwindle. All in all I think Iain M Banks has some really cool Big Ideas, and writes engaging enough prose (I like his tounge-in-cheek type humor), but the stories don't impress me very much, Weapons excluded. That said, I've heard that Consider Plebas and Player of Games are supposed to be pretty good, so I may yet give his SF another chance. At any rate, I'm still interested in picking up some more of his regular fiction after having read The Wasp Factory.

I read The Pilgrimage by Paul Coelho and man did it suck. It's sort of like The Alchemist only entirely filled with bullshit mysticism, rather than marred by moderate doses of it. All I've got left of his is The Zahir, then I'm going to sell all of his poo poo off (minus The Alcehmist) to the used bookstore. Yech.

I thought all books after The Alchemist sucked. Even in hindsight, as a new cynical atheist, I'm sure I wouldn't dig a rereading of even that one.

Consider Plebas and Player of Games have both big ideas, Consider Plebas has some cool Pew Pew, and Player of Games telegraphs the ending pretty much, but I thought it was a good story. I can't seem to find Weapons in any libraries or used bookstores (gotta save dough) and I'll read Look to Windward if I can remember where I put it.

Oddly enough years ago, I'd had Banks' The Bridge sitting on my shelf but I never read it because I had confused Ian Banks with Martin Amis and I ended up selling it for used book credit.

deptstoremook
Jan 12, 2004
my mom got scared and said "you're moving with your Aunt and Uncle in Bel-Air!"
Just read Hamlet again after two years; at least this time I know what

quote:

And duller shouldst thou be than the fat weed
That roots itself in ease on Lethe wharf,
is referring to (Lethe, the river in the underworld that makes you forget everything)

One Tall Fellow
Oct 22, 2006

Bow wow best friend.

Bow wow best friend.

Bow wow best friend.
I recently finished re-reading One Day in the Life of Ivan Denisovich by Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn. When I read it for the first time a few years ago, it was one of my favorite books, and each time going through it again only makes it better. It still amazes me that I can find something that I missed the time before when the contents only chronicle a single day.

Up next,I have another Solzhenitsyn novel, Cancer Ward, and William Faulkner's The Sound and the Fury.

Besson
Apr 20, 2006

To the sun's savage brightness he exposed the dark and secret surface of his retinas, so that by burning the memory of vengeance might be preserved, and never perish.
Cakes and Ale by W.Somerset Maugham.

He is my absolute favourite author, and I adore his writing style. This book is a fascinating character analysis (as are most of his works) of people involved in the world of literature. I think Maugham is excellent of making the narrator an interesting character himself, not just an observer in which some books lazily do when they use a 1st person perspective. The Razor's Edge is still my favourite of his, but I have oh so many to go through.

LooseChanj
Feb 17, 2006

Logicaaaaaaaaal!
the Truth, Terry Pratchett

It finally dawned on me that discworld functions the way most of the great unwashed think our would does, that is everything gets done without needing any thought or even action put into it. Of course, there are wizards there, but how an uppercrust newsletter turns into an actual paper that people think things like "well it's got to be true if it's in the paper" just happen. No history, no development, things like that are just THERE and that's it. A wizard did it, which is The Joke, of course.

Also, I finished up The Toynbee Convector,a collection of short stories by Ray Bradbury. I don't get why people call him a science fiction writer, most of the stories in this compilation were spooky ghost story types. I suppose you could call the title short science-fiction.

Debbie Metallica
Jun 7, 2001

I just finished Memoirs of a Geisha. Hadn't read it before and it was on my list of books I probably SHOULD have read. Now I'm not 100% sure why; it's not horrible by any means but it's not particularly impressive. Mainly I spent a lot of time squirming because the author hosed up the mizuage ceremony. I sound lame for saying it but if even I don't know a ton about that sort of thing but still know he's distorted the meaning, it's trouble.

El Drecko
Aug 25, 2003

by Ozma
I just finished Het huis van de moskee (The house of the mosque) by Kader Abdolah, an Iranian by birth who lives in the Netherlands and writes in Dutch. An interesting book that deals with a family in Iran in the time when the Shah is deposed and the ayatollahs take over. He has a pretty straightforward style which works well for the sometimes emotional and or terrible things that happen. It definitely sparked my interest about the history of that whole period.

He's also recently published a kind of 're-telling' of the Koran in Dutch, made readable. He hopes to let Dutch people be able to actually read the book instead of hearing about it second-hand, and be able to form their own opinion. I'm very interested in it, there's a lot to do about muslims and the koran/quran in the Netherlands lately.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat
Against The Day
Wow. I loved Mason & Dixon but I think that this is better - more feeling, more tenderness, more emotion, with the same sparkling breathtaking language and hilarity.

Dorepoll posted:

Cakes and Ale by W.Somerset Maugham.

He is my absolute favourite author, and I adore his writing style. This book is a fascinating character analysis (as are most of his works) of people involved in the world of literature. I think Maugham is excellent of making the narrator an interesting character himself, not just an observer in which some books lazily do when they use a 1st person perspective. The Razor's Edge is still my favourite of his, but I have oh so many to go through.
Yes, absolutely. I haven't read his stuff for a while, but it is really excellent. I should read The Razor's Edge and Cakes and Ale again.

talktapes
Apr 14, 2007

You ever hear of the neutron bomb?

Blew through The Lathe of Heaven by Ursula Le Guin a few weeks ago. I knew before starting that it was probably meant as a Philip Dick homage but if nobody had pointed it out I would've spotted it immediately. For anyone unfamiliar with the book, it takes place in future Oregon where there are massive overpopulation and environmental problems. The main character, George Orr, has a weird gift where his dreams physically alter reality. He gets stuck under the care of a psychiatrist who understands his talent and begins to manipulate it for what he believes is the good of humanity, and from there the plot goes all over the place.

The premise sounds far fetched, and it is, but it's handled very well. People who are around Orr when he dreams (and Orr himself) have duel memories, one of their life in the old reality and one of their life in the new. There's a lot of Eastern philosophy in it, with Orr wanting to just survive in the world vs. the psychiatrist trying to manipulate it. Once it approaches the end of the book the plot gets too out of hand, and the ending itself was wrapped up so neatly it seemed unbelievably cliché compared to the chaotic structure of the rest of the book. Also the climax was too vague, however I read Lathe right on the heels of Invitation to a Beheading by Vladimir Nabokov which has a similar climax but is unbelievably well written, so my opinion was probably biased. Either way it was a quick read and pretty entertaining.

e: grammatical ineptitude!

talktapes fucked around with this message at 03:34 on May 5, 2008

Encryptic
May 3, 2007

Pynchon's The Crying of Lot 49 - Great little read and very easy in comparison to Gravity's Rainbow, though with a lot of similar themes to GR.

On Stranger Tides by Tim Powers - Fun read set in the early 1700s in the Caribbean and follows a young French puppeteer who's trying to avenge his father's death and claim the rightful inheritance he was cheated out of by his uncle. While sailing to Jamaica, his ship is captured by Blackbeard's minions and he's diverted to a quest involving the legendary Fountain of Youth, voodoo, zombies, ghosts and a fair amount of swordplay and ship battles. I enjoyed it quite a bit as Powers has a great hand at taking real historical figures and weaving them into a "secret history" that usually involves some kind of supernatural power.

Also read Ice Reich and The Scourge of God by William Dietrich. Ice Reich involves an American bush pilot recruited by Nazi Germany (prior to American involvement in WWII) to help guide an expedition to Antarctica, only to stumble on a secret that may possibly alter the course of the war years later. It's a good page-turner - nothing incredibly deep but it helped pass the time during a slow afternoon at work.

The Scourge of God was rather good though - it's set during the twilight years of the Roman empire when the Huns under Attila had conquered most of Europe and the empire had split into the western half based at Rome and the eastern half based at Byzantium. The story follows a young historian attached to an Roman embassy sent to Attila who becomes caught up in a plot to assassinate Attila. As with his other historical novels, there's plenty of good detail though Dietrich admits in the afterword that there isn't a lot of knowledge about the Huns in general, so he did embellish things a bit.

Killfast37
May 7, 2007
Term Limits by Vince Flynn. I had been in the mood for a political thriller and this just hit the spot. The pace was fast and there were plenty of twists and turns even though a few of them were spotted a mile away. There was a great mixture of political intrigue and action. I enjoyed it enough to go out and buy Transfer of Power which is pretty decent so far, it is pretty over the top but lots of fun.

Agreeable Employer
Apr 28, 2008
I was looking after my boss's kids and didn't bring any of my books so I read one of their's: Airborn by Kenneth Oppel.

It's got airships and pirates and some pretty tight action scenes for a book geared at 12 year olds.

UncleNaughtyFingers
Apr 29, 2008
Stranger in a Strange Land by Robert A. Heinlein
This is the first book Ive read by this author by recommendation from a friend, I enjoyed it and hope the other Heinlein books I have are as good
May end up considering Jubal as a name for a future son, not because Im some instant author fanboy but because I plan on following the tradition of naming children with something that starts with the letter J(I have no clue as to why, but I have 8aunts/uncles and several cousins with J names) and Jubal is fairly unique.. and his character in the book was pretty interesting, probably my favorite
I would be reading another book by the same author now.. but I dont like to read sci fi for too long :(

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

I finally got around to reading Foucault's Pendulum, and it was pretty much just as great as everyone said it was going to be. I know a lot of people like to point out that it's The DaVinci Code for smart people, but I felt it was even more than that. It was The Illuminatus Trilogy for smart people. It had the same satirical bent, but it didn't have to rely on slapstick, drugs, and sex to be funny.

That lead me to reading Dungeon, Fire and Sword, a history of the Knights Templar and the Crusades. It was a quick read, written in a conversational style that was, at times, a refreshing break from my normal historical reading and at others, just trite, and you don't want trite when you're talking about thousands of people being butchered in creative ways. Otherwise, it gave a good overview of the organization and the period and reinforced my opinion that the Middle Ages were a time largely defined by great acts of stupidity.

I'm going to read Baudolino next (getting on an Eco trip, I guess), but first I have to slog through this cheesy werewolf novel, Moon Called, one of my students asked me to read. It's not bad by normal schlocky paperback standards, but I'm not much of an Urban Fantasy fan.

Encryptic
May 3, 2007

Libra by Don DeLillo - a fictionalized look at Lee Harvey Oswald's life and the Kennedy assassination which presents it as Oswald being maneuvered into shooting Kennedy by the CIA in hopes that Kennedy's death will be blamed on communism and provide justification for a second Cuba invasion.

DeLillo's style took some getting used to, but once I got into it I ripped through it pretty quickly and enjoyed it a lot. It's interesting to see how DeLillo humanizes Oswald - neither portraying him as particularly "good" or "evil" - just a guy so caught up in his own political beliefs to the point that shooting the president seems like a rational course of action.

LooseChanj
Feb 17, 2006

Logicaaaaaaaaal!
Money Shot, Christa Faust

Ex-porn star gets shot and stuffed in a car trunk to die but survives and goes on the offensive and take revenge. If you're going to read one book by someone you've never heard of, make it this one cuz she's awesome.

Recycle Bin
Feb 7, 2001

I'd rather be a pig than a fascist
Finished the first Horatio Hornblower book, Beat to Quarters. Apparently Hornblower was the inspiration for Kirk and Picard's characters in Star Trek, and is mentioned frequently in movie commentaries which is why I picked it up. I really enjoyed it. There are a lot of nautical/navy terms, but you can figure them out well enough as you read without consulting wikipedia. It's a short, fast read. Not terribly deep, but it was refreshing after reading nothing but sci-fi for the past month.

It definitely gets my thumbs up

Total Party Kill
Aug 25, 2005

Death by Black Hole | Neil DeGrasse Tyson

A collection of 42 essays on cosmology and astrophysics. Tyson is able to take extremely complex subjects in his field and make them really easy to understand. He's also got a great sense of humor about it all and cracks jokes throughout the book. I know Greydon Square claims the title of "Black Carl Sagan" but I really think Mr. Tyson is more deserving of the title.

And yes, Tyson does explain step-by-step what it would be like to die in a black hole.

uggy
Aug 6, 2006

Posting is SERIOUS BUSINESS
and I am completely joyless

Don't make me judge you
The other day, I finished I Hope They Serve Beer In Hell by Tucker Max. The story is a compilation of his posts on his website, https://tuckermax.com, about his partying, drinking, and sexual adventures. He's a funny fellow, although he's a giant rear end in a top hat, and the stories were interesting to read.

After a while of reading, the book started to grate on me just a bit. I can only take so much writing about getting drunk and loving bitches. The way he writes is also a bit terrible, and I found it funny how he talked about how he was a writer, since he's not especially good at it. Yes, these are meant to be read online and they're not meant to be poetic, but the way he writes is less than spectacular.

The other thing about the book that annoyed me was how he thought he was the best. It is understandable, since he is very good at what he did, and I had no problem when he said stuff along the lines of I'm good at picking up girls or I'm good at drinking. But I hated how he used his name as an adjective. Tucker Max Drunk, Tucker Max weird... seriously shut the gently caress up and stop using your name to describe things. It means nothing to me, and I just read your entire book.

That all being said, I did enjoy many of his stories and thought the book was generally entertaining. I envy some of what he can do, but at the same time, I would hate myself if I ever resembled him in any way.

Hobo Camp
Aug 8, 2006

No problo, Rob Lowe.
Middlesex and I absolutely adored it to pieces. Love the writers's style and the way the story was written. The imagery was gorgeous.

The Golden Compass I. Slow at the beginning but picked up towards the end. I'm currently reading the second book.

Shiva Servant
Aug 20, 2005

Stop staring at me!
On The Road by Jack Kerouac.

I hated every page of this book. Its dull, boring, and the two main characters are complete assholes. This is the most overrated piece of crap that I have ever read.

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.
Kafka on the Shore by Haruki Murakami. Like all his books, I immensly enjoyed reading it despite the constant state of bewilderment as to what it all means. I really like the "surrealism" and the sense that there's only a thin veil between the everyday world and some kind of strange parallel dream-world I get from his books, but gently caress me if I ever finished one of them and thought "Aha!". Maybe you have to read them more than once, maybe I'm just dense, or maybe the vague feelings of meaning are the whole point of the thing.
:confused:

Kynes
Dec 23, 2002

I just finished The Gunslinger, the first book in the Dark Tower series by Stephen King. It was a little... strange. I came away feeling like I didn't understand the quest for the Dark Tower any better than when I started, really. I understand the book is the first of seven, but even LOTR gave a pretty clear sense in the opening ~100p what the story was basically about.

I'll probably read book #2, but I'm wary. Can someone encourage me?

DirtyRobot
Dec 15, 2003

it was a normally happy sunny day... but Dirty Robot was dirty

Kynes posted:

I just finished The Gunslinger, the first book in the Dark Tower series by Stephen King. It was a little... strange. I came away feeling like I didn't understand the quest for the Dark Tower any better than when I started, really. I understand the book is the first of seven, but even LOTR gave a pretty clear sense in the opening ~100p what the story was basically about.

I'll probably read book #2, but I'm wary. Can someone encourage me?

I enjoyed books two and three a lot more than book one. :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kynes
Dec 23, 2002

DirtyRobot posted:

I enjoyed books two and three a lot more than book one. :)

Good. I've also realized that I need to orient myself less to plot if I'm going to enjoy King's stuff. I knew this, but sort of forgot.