Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Supercondescending
Jul 4, 2007

ok frankies now lets get in formation

quote:

So what's the consensus on flea and tick meds?

I use Advantage on both my dogs and cats. My dogs spend their days running through woods and brush and rolling in everything imaginable, and I never see a single flea or tick on them, so there's my vote.

Dr. Housecat MD posted:

If I were in your place, I'd call them and politely ask them about it. I wouldn't hesitate to insist that they take care of their mistake, though, particularly if they were snotty about it. It may turn out that they are genuinely sorry about it and will do the surgery for you. If they're focused on taking care of feral populations, I would think they'd be happy to do the spay.

Well long story short, the clinic seems to be giving me the runaround. The first time I talked to someone, they said "yeah, bring her in, we should be able to do it, we're sorry!" So I called back the next day to make the appointment, and a different person says "uh no, we're not giving you a free spay. How do we even know it's the same cat?"

I can't find her paperwork, but they should definitely have it on record. I told them this. They did a whole lot of "hurf durf, I dunno, I'll have to talk to [insert nonexistant person here.]" I've been on the phone with them at least an hour per day since I think Monday. One second it's "yeah, bring her in," the next second it's "we didn't make a mistake and you're not getting a free spay out of us, we're on to you!"

So, I dunno, I'm still working on it. In the mean time, I hope she doesn't start gushing out kittens. She's pretty fat. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

strange loop
Nov 8, 2005
All I want in life is a little bit of love to take the pain away
The vet recommends that we feed our 16 year old cat the prescription cat food (Royal Canine, Purina Prescription, Hills Prescription), but I wasn't too impressed with the ingredient list. My cat's kidney level is on the higher side of normal and I'm waiting for the urinalysis result. If her test comes back fine, would I be able to just feed her normal premium food? She drinks of plenty of water and HATES the prescription food. FYI, We feed her a rotation of Wellness wet, Merrick wet, California Natural wet, Innova wet and Innova dry.

MoCookies
Apr 22, 2005

Antifederalist posted:

I scanned the last couple pages and couldn't find anything, and I figure with flea and tick season coming up it's good to bring the information up anyways.

My dog Ukiah and I are outside a lot, and she's already gotten 2 ticks this year. She's not on any tick meds right now, but I'm going to get her some in the next couple days. So what's the consensus on flea and tick meds?

The PI consensus is essentially that the over the counter products are not as effective as the stuff you get from your vet I'd recommend sticking to Advantage, Advantix, or Frontline; your vet will probably have a favorite one of those three to recommend. If you have a cat in your household, then make sure you get a product that doesn't contain any permethrin. Permethrin is safe and effective for dogs, but cats have a sensitivity to it. While you're at your vet, you might ask about vaccinating for Lyme Disease. I'm no expert, but there's a debate about whether or not its worth it. Again, that aspect is definitely something to discuss with your vet.

This chart shows you some of the options available, and the differences between them. http://www.drsfostersmith.com/pic/article.cfm?dept_id=&aid=325 Skip the BioSpot though. I tried it last summer, and can tell you it didn't work at all. Flea & tick collars don't work well either, and can make your pet sick. You should also avoid Hartz products, they also have a reputation for making pets sick. Hope that helps.

vvvvvv Good catch on the Advantage. I was thinking of Advantage Multi, but that's for heartworms and fleas. Also a good product, but it won't help the Antifederalist's problem with ticks.

MoCookies fucked around with this message at 04:06 on Apr 26, 2008

Crab Ran
Mar 6, 2006

Don't try me.
Advantage doesn't do jack or poo poo for ticks, though it's great for fleas. If ticks are a problem, you should use either Advantix if you have no cats, or Frontline if you have cats because one of the ingredients in Advantix is very toxic to cats.

little green jewel
Oct 27, 2003

tO DIE WILL BE, uHH, aN AWFULLY BIG ADVENTURE,
What's a good age to start flea/tick prevention? My pups are just under three months old. The over-the-counter stuff we were looking at was recommended for older dogs, but I was wondering if there's any kind of special puppy-safe stuff out there I can start giving them. Ticks aren't a huge problem where I live, but fleas are.

MoCookies
Apr 22, 2005

little green jewel posted:

What's a good age to start flea/tick prevention? My pups are just under three months old. The over-the-counter stuff we were looking at was recommended for older dogs, but I was wondering if there's any kind of special puppy-safe stuff out there I can start giving them. Ticks aren't a huge problem where I live, but fleas are.

3 months should be a pretty good age to start, especially since flea season is starting. I would warn you that I wasted a lot of time and money trying out various OTC stuff (to save time and money going to the vet), and ended up with an even bigger flea problem, so I recommend just starting with the good stuff from the beginning.

GoreJess
Aug 4, 2004

pretty in pink

MoCookies posted:

3 months should be a pretty good age to start, especially since flea season is starting. I would warn you that I wasted a lot of time and money trying out various OTC stuff (to save time and money going to the vet), and ended up with an even bigger flea problem, so I recommend just starting with the good stuff from the beginning.

I would recommend either Advantage or Frontline Plus. Those two have seemed to work the best for all the dogs in my family. Just stay away from Promeris; it's a new flea med that has been causing some strange side effects (lethargy & excessive drooling for example).

a gayer ogg oggilby
May 7, 2007

by angerbotSD
How soon after birth can I declaw my cat?

maplecheese
Oct 31, 2006
Disturbingly delicious.

nationalism posted:

You shouldn't. That's why there are scratching posts, cat nail clippers, and SoftPaws.

Declawing is unnecessary surgery that can have long-term physical and behavioural consequences for the cat if it goes badly.

If you have a kitten right now, I'm sympathetic - kitten claws are SHARP - but there are better ways.

Crab Ran
Mar 6, 2006

Don't try me.

maplecheese posted:

You shouldn't. That's why there are scratching posts, cat nail clippers, and SoftPaws.

Declawing is unnecessary surgery that can have long-term physical and behavioural consequences for the cat if it goes badly.

If you have a kitten right now, I'm sympathetic - kitten claws are SHARP - but there are better ways.

Dude, you totally just fed the troll.

Sekhmet
Nov 16, 2001

nationalism posted:

Many vets will do a declaw with the spay/neuter surgery if you ask for it.

maplecheese
Oct 31, 2006
Disturbingly delicious.

Dr. Housecat MD posted:

Dude, you totally just fed the troll.

V:)V It needed to be said anyway.

And I don't think it counts as feeding if you don't get pissed off.

Women's Rights?
Nov 16, 2005

Ain't give a damn
Okay so I was completely not paying attention while I was painting today and walked off to go make myself some dinner. When I came back to put away the paints and toss the rinse water, I found my kitty Professor headfirst in the cup drinking the brush rinse water. I estimate he drank about a quarter of the water that was in the cup before I caught him and shooed him off.

He's acting fine, and I'm watching him closely, but should I be really concerned about this? There was definitely paint in the cup, but it was watered down. It's model paint if that makes a difference, I don't know.

Damn Bananas
Jul 1, 2007

You humans bore me

Women's Rights? posted:

Okay so I was completely not paying attention while I was painting today and walked off to go make myself some dinner. When I came back to put away the paints and toss the rinse water, I found my kitty Professor headfirst in the cup drinking the brush rinse water. I estimate he drank about a quarter of the water that was in the cup before I caught him and shooed him off.

He's acting fine, and I'm watching him closely, but should I be really concerned about this? There was definitely paint in the cup, but it was watered down. It's model paint if that makes a difference, I don't know.

I have no idea about the paint, but this page lists some poison hotlines. I guess you just read them the label on the paint and they tell you? It looks like it'll cost a minimum of $20 though. If the cat isn't showing signs I guess that's good, but you know what they say about cats hiding their sicknesses, so I'd keep an eye on him and call the vet in the morning regardless. :)

After more googling, this number is apparently 24/7 and free: 1.785.532.5679 but it warns you "Be patient. The person answering the phone may have to take a few minutes to consult the vet on duty."

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

Dr. Housecat MD posted:

Advantage doesn't do jack or poo poo for ticks, though it's great for fleas. If ticks are a problem, you should use either Advantix if you have no cats, or Frontline if you have cats because one of the ingredients in Advantix is very toxic to cats.

I haven't checked the brand name but last year we used something you could just smear on the neck of the cat for my parents outdoor cats, they didn't get any ticks after that. I dunno what it was but maybe the method of application can give any hints? They plan to buy more of this now as one of the cats came home with a tick on him just now. I got kinda paranoid just now that maybe it might not be good for them.

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?
Search is down, so I'll give this question a go in this here thread.

Anyone have any experience with pet water fountains? Vet recommended we get one for our two cats, since the one has FLUTD problems. There seems to be a wealth of choices on the market. Looking for cheap price and durability first, silence second.

Would be happy to take recommendations for brands and online vendors.

Women's Rights?
Nov 16, 2005

Ain't give a damn

drat Bananas posted:

After more googling, this number is apparently 24/7 and free: 1.785.532.5679 but it warns you "Be patient. The person answering the phone may have to take a few minutes to consult the vet on duty."

Thanks for this, I called them up and apparently the brand of paint he drank is considered non-toxic for people and (probably) animals. So long as he's eating fine and not showing any symptoms I should consider him a-okay, though he might have multicolored poo for a few days.

Crab Ran
Mar 6, 2006

Don't try me.

His Divine Shadow posted:

I haven't checked the brand name but last year we used something you could just smear on the neck of the cat for my parents outdoor cats, they didn't get any ticks after that. I dunno what it was but maybe the method of application can give any hints? They plan to buy more of this now as one of the cats came home with a tick on him just now. I got kinda paranoid just now that maybe it might not be good for them.

Nope, that's the same application as all of the products I mentioned, so it's impossible to know what you used from that. I'd recommend Frontline for the situation, as it is both effective and safe. Most other products don't work well or at all against ticks, though I think Advantage is better against fleas.

Hippie Hedgehog posted:

Anyone have any experience with pet water fountains? Vet recommended we get one for our two cats, since the one has FLUTD problems. There seems to be a wealth of choices on the market. Looking for cheap price and durability first, silence second.

I have two Petmate fountains, and I'm not a really big fan of them. They're a pain in the rear end to clean up, and I don't think my cats care that much for them. I want to try a Drinkwell fountain, as those actually have water falling from a spout into a bowl, rather than running down a ramp like the Petmate. I think the sound and positioning of the water in the Drinkwell is more attractive to some animals, but I haven't actually used one. It seems to be more like drinking out of a faucet, if that's something your cats are attracted to.

GoreJess
Aug 4, 2004

pretty in pink

Hippie Hedgehog posted:

Search is down, so I'll give this question a go in this here thread.

I've been using the Drinkwell Platinum Fountain since November & I really like it. Both my cat & dog drink out it and I only have to refill the tank once a week. Cleaning isn't a huge deal, I'd say it takes about 10 minutes to wash the parts by hand. But if you're really lazy, you can put most of it in the dishwasher. My cat likes drinking out of the falling water, while my dog just drinks out of the bowl.

I've only had it for 5 months, but I haven't had any problems yet.

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

Sometimes I feel like this.

Dr. Housecat MD posted:

I have two Petmate fountains, and I'm not a really big fan of them. They're a pain in the rear end to clean up, and I don't think my cats care that much for them. I want to try a Drinkwell fountain, as those actually have water falling from a spout into a bowl, rather than running down a ramp like the Petmate. I think the sound and positioning of the water in the Drinkwell is more attractive to some animals, but I haven't actually used one. It seems to be more like drinking out of a faucet, if that's something your cats are attracted to.

Our Petmate's motor died a little while ago (no idea how long Steve had had it), and we went out and got a Drinkwell. Charlie likes it a lot better, it's definitely easier to clean, it doesn't have the awkwardness with the reservoir tank and such. My only issue is it's pretty noisy, but that wasn't really a problem once I got used to it. The big thing is that the sound of it made me think it was running low, since it resembled the gurgling noise the Petmate would make if it was nearing empty.

But Charlie definitely drinks out of it more than he did his Petmate.

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

GoreJess posted:

I've been using the Drinkwell Platinum Fountain since November & I really like it. .

Wow, that's a big piece of equipment... 11" x 16" x 10-1/2" high, that actually fits in your house? :)

If that manufacturer is good, maybe I should try the smaller Drinkwell Fresh Water Fountain for Cats or Small Dogs. Anyone use that?

The Petsmart one was the only one I'd found so far, but it seemed odd not to have the water actually falling.

Meow Cadet
May 2, 2007

friendship is magic
in a pony paradise
don't you judge me
I bought some live plants for my aquarium, and some pond snails came along with them. I see a few small snails in the intake tube for the filter(aquaclear 50). Do I need to manually remove them because they are stuck in there, unable to fight the current? Or can I just leave them be.

Wheats
Sep 28, 2007

strange sisters

My friends found a rodent and brought it to me to identify. It's an escaped dwarf hamster. We'll keep it till we can find the owner (has to be in the apartment). All we have to feed it is rat food. Is that okay?

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

My friend just posted on her livejournal that her mom brought her home a surprise puppy from a trip to Ohio. It's a basset hound, and it's only six weeks old.

Did I mention this friend is chronically depressed, spends all her time at her boyfriend's house or at work, abuses alcohol and drugs, and already has two ferrets?

Nothing about this seems like a good idea.

Edit: There's no question there, I just needed a sympathetic place to sigh about this.

Khukuri
Jan 17, 2006
"...and all the wolves were found upside-down in a box!"
Any advice for nervous show dogs? Last weekend I took my staffy boy, Nate, to his first show... it was a learning experience, that's for sure. It turns out that while he'll free stack and gait nicely for me and my partner, as soon as one of us takes him into the ring, he'll stress out and spend the entire time trying to get to the other one of us. He spent most of his first class facing backwards and whinging loudly. :sigh:

Before his second class, I got my partner to do some basic obedience with him with copious treats, to get Nate keen and focusing on him, and then I stayed in our tent. That seemed to work better- he got nearly halfway through before noticing I wasn't nearby and trying to make a bolt for where he'd seen me last.

The only ring classes in the state are pretty much out of the question- two hours' drive away- and the other staffy handlers just said things like "I had a dog just like that! I never tried to show it" or "he'll calm down one day". I'm sure he will, I'd just like to not be cringing in embarrassment every time until then. Any tips for sooky dogs?

Wheats
Sep 28, 2007

strange sisters

Oh dear god, the hamster is spewing seeds at us. What the hell is he doing?!

VikingKitten
Jan 19, 2003
^^Good luck with the hamster, dude. I know nothing about them but that sounds freaky.

Been following the thread but not intently monitoring it, so apologies if this is a really common question.

How do I make my shower curtain less irresistible to the two evil 7 month old kittens? I live in an efficiency right now and the shitbox is in the bathroom, so just shutting the door isn't an option. Am I doomed to have a leaky shower curtain til they grow up?

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

I think I'm in love with a blue brindle pit mix.

We can't really have a dog right now, between the existing animals, our lifestyle, and where we live. But that doesn't stop me from giving my heart away at adoption fairs.

Saturday we went to pick up some Carefresh for van Buren, and the Lost Dog and Cat Rescue Foundation was there with some wonderful dogs. A number of times I've gone to these events and met someone I so badly wanted to take home. At one point I was near tears because I couldn't take Petey the spitz mix home with me, but I was glad to see that two weeks later he found a great home.

The dog in question is Duncan. You can check him out for yourself on their adoption page. I met him inside the store and he was just the perfect gentleman. He's an older boy, about 10, and the volunteer said he has a heart murmur. He's a beautiful color, has a big wide goofy head, and his manners were impeccable. The photos don't do justice to him.

I want to donate some money to them for his cardiology exam, which will run them about $500. I'm wondering what an appropriate sum would be. I'm not wealthy or anything, but I could comfortably give $50. I'm wondering if I should earmark the money for Duncan specifically, or just make a general donation? I really liked this dog, and this is all I can do for him. They're an awesome rescue.

Maybe I'll put a note that I want it to go to Duncan and any extra should go back into the rescue. Hmm...

Kalma
May 23, 2004

Ha ha ha ha. You're really weird.
Here's my stupid question.

Everyone calls it a crate, but usually when you see their pictures, it's actually a cage. We've always used the plastic airline type crates, should we be using the cages instead? Is one better than the other?

maso
Jul 6, 2004

fuck bitches get stud fees

Kalma posted:

Here's my stupid question.

Everyone calls it a crate, but usually when you see their pictures, it's actually a cage. We've always used the plastic airline type crates, should we be using the cages instead? Is one better than the other?

Eh, I think some of it is personal preference and what you need. I always worry about my dogs getting too hot so I think the wire crates have better air circulation (if I remember correctly you're in Texas so you get that hot weather too) when we just have the windows open and not the AC. Also if you're going to be transporting the dog anywhere NOT in an airplane, you're probably going to want a wire crate that folds up. Basically if you don't take your dogs a ton of places and they're comfy enough in the house as it is, don't worry about it.

Regnevelc
Jan 12, 2003

I'M A GROWN ASS MAN!

sucks to ur assmar posted:

Eh, I think some of it is personal preference and what you need. I always worry about my dogs getting too hot so I think the wire crates have better air circulation (if I remember correctly you're in Texas so you get that hot weather too) when we just have the windows open and not the AC. Also if you're going to be transporting the dog anywhere NOT in an airplane, you're probably going to want a wire crate that folds up. Basically if you don't take your dogs a ton of places and they're comfy enough in the house as it is, don't worry about it.

If you are training, I would go with the covered one. I went with the wire type to give my dog more room and make it feel open, but he just pissed outside of the cage.

I just let him have the run of the house now. He does not have accidents or chew anything, so it is great.

Kalma
May 23, 2004

Ha ha ha ha. You're really weird.
We have a plastic crate for our Schnauzer, but we've been graced with a new puppy. I've got him in a borrowed crate (plastic) for now, but we need to get him a permanent one once he reaches his full growth and I wanted to make sure I wasn't repeating another incorrect habit.

3 nights in a row with him howling/whining/barking/crying all night and I'm almost ready to announce to PI that we got him from a huge puppy mill and paid thousands for him just so I can go before the firing squad and be put out of my misery. :P

*We didn't get him from a puppy mill. :P

Regnevelc
Jan 12, 2003

I'M A GROWN ASS MAN!
My puppy has a green snot looking substance that comes out the side of his eye. It has gotten a bit worse, where I can tell that it is there and not when I look hard for it. It just started doing that today, what could it be, and is it something I should go to the vet for?

Supercondescending
Jul 4, 2007

ok frankies now lets get in formation
^^^ Perhaps conjunctivitis? I'd probably take him to the vet if it doesn't clear up in a day or so, if it were me.

wheats posted:

Oh dear god, the hamster is spewing seeds at us. What the hell is he doing?!

He probably had them hidden in his cheek pouches.

quote:

My friends found a rodent and brought it to me to identify. It's an escaped dwarf hamster. We'll keep it till we can find the owner (has to be in the apartment). All we have to feed it is rat food. Is that okay?

What kind of rat food? If it's lab blocks, they may contain animal protein, and they're probably too high in protein in general. Rats are omnivores, hamsters are herbivores, and their diets and nutritional requirements are pretty different.

If it were me, I'd just find some healthy cereals (or if you make a grain mix for your rats, that'll work too) to feed rather than the rat food, until you can pick up something better. I wouldn't do the rat food though if I could avoid it.

Regnevelc
Jan 12, 2003

I'M A GROWN ASS MAN!

Superconductor posted:

^^^ Perhaps conjunctivitis? I'd probably take him to the vet if it doesn't clear up in a day or so, if it were me.

What kind of rat food? If it's lab blocks, they may contain animal protein, and they're probably too high in protein in general. Rats are omnivores, hamsters are herbivores, and their diets and nutritional requirements are pretty different.

If it were me, I'd just find some healthy cereals (or if you make a grain mix for your rats, that'll work too) to feed rather than the rat food, until you can pick up something better. I wouldn't do the rat food though if I could avoid it.

I am off Friday, so I will do that if it doesnt clear up.

Wheats
Sep 28, 2007

strange sisters

Superconductor posted:

Yeah, we ended up giving him the seed mix we keep as an occasional treat for the rats. We'll be sticking notes under doors tonight. I do not want a hamster. :(

Women's Rights?
Nov 16, 2005

Ain't give a damn

Regnevelc posted:

My puppy has a green snot looking substance that comes out the side of his eye. It has gotten a bit worse, where I can tell that it is there and not when I look hard for it. It just started doing that today, what could it be, and is it something I should go to the vet for?

Rin had that for a couple of days and I took her into the vet. It was a minor infection and they gave me some cream to squeeze into her eyes. She hated it and by default me but that cleared it right up, so your guy probably has an infection too. Get it taken care of sooner than later because it could spread to the other eye (it did for Rin).

Regnevelc
Jan 12, 2003

I'M A GROWN ASS MAN!

Women's Rights? posted:

Rin had that for a couple of days and I took her into the vet. It was a minor infection and they gave me some cream to squeeze into her eyes. She hated it and by default me but that cleared it right up, so your guy probably has an infection too. Get it taken care of sooner than later because it could spread to the other eye (it did for Rin).

Thanks, I will make an appointment tomorrow!

maso
Jul 6, 2004

fuck bitches get stud fees

Regnevelc posted:

I went with the wire type to give my dog more room and make it feel open, but he just pissed outside of the cage.

...I'm assuming you mean ex-pen, not crate? Otherwise I'm not quite sure what you mean.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Regnevelc
Jan 12, 2003

I'M A GROWN ASS MAN!

sucks to ur assmar posted:

...I'm assuming you mean ex-pen, not crate? Otherwise I'm not quite sure what you mean.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000633YN6?smid=AH7PBPHZ85HL3&tag=nextag-pet-mp-20&linkCode=asn

Something similar to this.