Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

Anuv posted:

Oh, okay. I wasn't sure if you had some poor quality gear that I should stay away from.

But, speaking of that, did I make the right gear choice? My helmet and gloves are just fine, but I've got a few questions:

I bought a Joe Rocket superstock textile jacket. It fit well, felt durable, and was pretty cheap compared to the leathers. Not to mention lighter. I figure that it's a good choice with Summer coming up. Good choice?

I also bought some mesh Phoenix 2.0 pants. Now, they're labeled as over-pants, but are they okay to wear without anything on underneath? How much protection will mesh provide, given true textile in the contact points with some CE armor? I don't intend on going very fast for a while, and again, the hot months are coming up. Ohio gets humid, on top of that. Should I get true textile pants instead?

And, with boots, I got some Alpinestars. Will I need to worry about the more "casual" ankle cut, versus the really big boots/shinguards that other people make?

The biggest difference between textiles and leather at sane speeds is that you'll probably get more than one use out of the leathers. Most textiles that i've seen that have been in accidents have protected the rider well but been really, really torn up. However, your pants have the textiles in the big abrasion areas, so as long as you're not going too crazy you should be fine. I wouldn't choose those if i was going out on the twisties, but would wear them for around town type stuff.

Mesh is a little more questionable, but if you'll wear it when you wouldn't wear a full set of textile overpants, it's worth it. There's no problems with wearing them with nothing on underneath as long as they fit securely. The last thing you want is them twisting up and the armor getting out of place in an accident. If they don't fit that securely, I'd recommend some of the leg armor type stuff that companies like bohn make to wear under it. Additional abraision resistance, armor that won't move around, and it gives you options based off of what sort of riding you're doing. Casual day? Pants + overpants. More aggressive riding? Additional armor + the overpants.

How low is the ankle on the A* boots? If you're talking about the difference between motorcross boots and street boots, no. If you're talking about the difference between the "armor sneakers" that some companies are now marketing and real boots, then that's a different matter.

Z3n fucked around with this message at 07:21 on Apr 28, 2008

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OptimusMatrix
Nov 13, 2003

ASK ME ABOUT MUTILATING MY PET TO SUIT MY OWN AESTHETIC PREFERENCES
Well I got my 07 R6 last Thursday and that means it was time to pick up some gear. I got the Scorpion EXO 700 In matte Silver, The Joe Rocket Speedmaster 5.0 in Black/Gunmetal, Joe Rocket Super Moto Gloves, and Icon Super Duty 3 boots in black. I want to get some form of leg protection what do you guys think about the Icon Field Armor Legs?

Blaise
Sep 10, 2003
^ Buy pants with integrated armor.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

OptimusMatrix posted:

Well I got my 07 R6 last Thursday and that means it was time to pick up some gear. I got the Scorpion EXO 700 In matte Silver, The Joe Rocket Speedmaster 5.0 in Black/Gunmetal, Joe Rocket Super Moto Gloves, and Icon Super Duty 3 boots in black. I want to get some form of leg protection what do you guys think about the Icon Field Armor Legs?

If you don't mind road rash on the parts that aren't protected, then they're fine. You'll be better off with those than with no leg armor, although you'll probably still pick up some nice road rash on your hips and rear end if you do bin it. If you'll wear those when you wouldn't normally wear gear, yes, buy them. Otherwise I'd push you in the direction of some textile or textile/mesh pants/overpants.

OptimusMatrix
Nov 13, 2003

Well I wear jeans to work so do you have any suggestions of jeans with armor that look decent or some that I can slip over my jeans or anything like that.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

OptimusMatrix posted:

Well I wear jeans to work so do you have any suggestions of jeans with armor that look decent or some that I can slip over my jeans or anything like that.

You've got 2 options...overpants, and leg armor like the leg field armor. I'd push you in the direction of overpants, as it sucks get roadrash anywhere. Any textile overpants with integrated CE armor will be fine. Find something that you like the cut of.

I have these and I like them a fair bit. I commuted in them for about 7 months and they were fine. If you're in a particularly hot area, I'd recommend finding some pants that are both textile and mesh for better venting.

Otherwise, pick up the leg armor, slip them on under your jeans, ride to work, and then pull them off. I can't emphasize enough how important it is to protect your knees. Getting roadrash everywhere else sucks balls, but getting it on your knees means you get to hobble around like a feeble old gently caress for weeks until it heals. Learn from my mistakes and take the 30 seconds to slip on some knee armor to save you some agony in case some retard cuts you off and you go down.

pr0zac
Jan 18, 2004

~*lukecagefan69*~

Pillbug

Bruinator posted:

The only thing I don't like about the NYC is that it doesn't have any way to connect to a pair of pants. Can anyone recommend a pair of pants (or preferrably overpants) with armor that ride far enough up the back to help avoid what pr0zac went through? I've been riding around in jeans and a pair of tennis shoes, and I feel like I need more protection.

Doesn't exist as far as I know. You either need to add a zipper in, or buy different gear if you want torso protection.

The first person to design a good set of gear that doesn't look stupid off the bike, folds up small enough to carry around, or some how can be locked to the bike, all while still providing quality protection will be a very very rich person. Really your choice is look funny / carry gear around when you aren't riding, or risk ending up like me or crabrock. Everyone trying to find "protective jeans" is missing that fact. Motorcycle level protection + jeans doesn't exist for a multitude of reasons.

pr0zac fucked around with this message at 18:50 on Apr 28, 2008

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

pr0zac posted:

Doesn't exist as far as I know. You either need to add a zipper in, or buy different gear if you want torso protection.

The first person to design a good set of gear that doesn't look stupid off the bike, folds up small enough to carry around, or some how can be locked to the bike, all while still providing quality protection will be a very very rich person. Really your choice is look funny / carry gear around when you aren't riding, or risk ending up like me or crabrock. Everyone trying to find "protective jeans" is missing that fact. Motorcycle level protection + jeans doesn't exist for a multitude of reasons.

Aerostitch. Pull it off when you get to work with the huge rear end zipper and hang it in your closet or whatever. If I didn't live a mile from work I'd totally buy one.

LOLLERZ
Dec 9, 2003
ASK ME ABOUT SPAMMING THE REPORT FORUM TO PROTECT ~MY WIFE'S~ OKCUPID PERSONALS ANALYSIS SA-MART THREAD. DO IT. ALL THE TIME. CONSTANTLY. IF SHE DOESN'T HAVE THE THREAD, SHE'LL WANT TO TALK TO ME!

pr0zac posted:

The first person to design a good set of gear that doesn't look stupid off the bike, folds up small enough to carry around, or some how can be locked to the bike, all while still providing quality protection will be a very very rich person.
No kidding on this, I've been trying to figure out how to make my own pair of pants that don't suck. Mainly I want to be able to unzip both legs and take them off without having to take off my boots. Locking them to the bike would be an awesome bonus.

DrChu
May 14, 2002

Z3n posted:

Aerostitch.

pr0zac posted:

doesn't look stupid off the bike,
folds up small enough to carry around
can be locked to the bike

That doesn't meet any of those requirements. A one piece is not convenient to use at all for casual riding/commuting.

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

DrChu posted:

That doesn't meet any of those requirements. A one piece is not convenient to use at all for casual riding/commuting.
Roadcrafters go on/off very quickly.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

DrChu posted:

Well, the first isn't relevant because you're not wearing it, I've seen them folded up well enough to fit in a backpack, and if you wanted to you could lock it to a bike with a cable lock. Have you ever seen/used an aerostitch? Or are you just going off of "hurr one piece dun work right hurr". :rolleyes:

LOLLERZ, the pants that i linked have a full length (ankle to hip) zipper so you can take them off with your boots still on.

VVV rolling it into a ball isn't exactly folding it. VVV

Skier
Apr 24, 2003

Fuck yeah.
Fan of Britches
Aerostich suits are incredibly quick to put on and take off. They look goofy as hell off the bike and fold up into a huge ball about 3' in diameter, so they don't fit those requirements.

I have yet to run into a problem zipping out of my Roadcrafter and not having a place to set it on. There's always room.

(edit)

Yes, rolling isn't folding, but folding doesn't compress it too much. My Roadcrafter is currently sitting on a desk in my office, folded in half and it still takes up a good amount of space.

Skier fucked around with this message at 23:39 on Apr 28, 2008

pr0zac
Jan 18, 2004

~*lukecagefan69*~

Pillbug
An Aerostich is pretty close to ideal and the kind of thing more people in here should be looking for (though I too would argue about its foldupabilityness considering how terribly my textile gear folds), but really my point was that everyone looking at those kevlar jeans is just fooling themselves if they think they are going to provide any real worthwhile protection over regular jeans.

Gear is part of motorcycling, embrace it. I went grocery shopping in the power ranger suit this weekend. It was great.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

pr0zac posted:

An Aerostich is pretty close to ideal and the kind of thing more people in here should be looking for (though I too would argue about its foldupabilityness considering how terribly my textile gear folds), but really my point was that everyone looking at those kevlar jeans is just fooling themselves if they think they are going to provide any real worthwhile protection over regular jeans.

Gear is part of motorcycling, embrace it. I went grocery shopping in the power ranger suit this weekend. It was great.

Kevlar jeans aren't as bad as normal jeans, which essentially disappear on contact with the ground. If a rider won't wear real gear, then the reinforced jeans will be better than normal jeans. But I agree, it is a much better solution to buy real gear, which will save you pain and suffering.

I'm still of the opinion that any gear is better than no gear, and will always encourage people to wear any gear at all. I don't think the field armor boots are particularly effective, but if someone will wear them over normal sneakers or whatever, and it saves them some injury, it's all worthwhile in my book. I had to learn the hard way, but maybe other people can pick it up without having to suffer quite as much as I did.

Z3n fucked around with this message at 23:53 on Apr 28, 2008

gotly
Oct 28, 2007
Economy-Sized
My gear:

Jacket: Xelement CF 545: basically cordura with a zip out liner and removable foam padding on the shoulders, elbows and back. There's a picture here but that's the best I've found. I got it on eBay a while back and there's very little information about it. I find it really comfortable and wear it every time I'm on the bike. Anyone know anything more about these? Are they junk? I'd be willing to buy a new one.

Gloves: Scorpion eXo: I loving love these things, really comfortable, breathable and I'd trust them to take care of my hands in a fall.

Helmet: HJC.. I don't know I bought it at the motorcycle store. It's full face and I like it a lot.

Boots: Original SWAT Classic 9". I know they're not designed for riding but they fit me pretty well and unless I'm mistaken, they'll work during a crash.

Pants: ... what pants? I've been really wanting to buy some but I'm not sure what I should buy. Budget is $100-$150. I'd like to wear them during Iowa summers (80-100 degrees). Do I want something like this?. My work "commute" (1.5 miles) is all 25 MPH back roads so I'm not sure if it'd even be worth wearing the pants during that. The only other time I ride is for pleasure so I'd be all right with dedicated pants, I just prefer over-pants because I'm more likely to wear them if I can take them off when I get to my destination. Any suggestions?

pr0zac
Jan 18, 2004

~*lukecagefan69*~

Pillbug

Z3n posted:

Kevlar jeans aren't as bad as normal jeans, which essentially disappear on contact with the ground. If a rider won't wear real gear, then the reinforced jeans will be better than normal jeans. But I agree, it is a much better solution to buy real gear, which will save you pain and suffering.

I'm still of the opinion that any gear is better than no gear, and will always encourage people to wear any gear at all. I don't think the field armor boots are particularly effective, but if someone will wear them over normal sneakers or whatever, and it saves them some injury, it's all worthwhile in my book. I had to learn the hard way, but maybe other people can pick it up without having to suffer quite as much as I did.

When I fell at 25 mph my regular Levis held up fine, heck I still wear that pair today. The problem was the lack of solid connection between the jeans and my jacket (the "connectors" ripped apart instantly) letting my jacket ride up leaving me sliding down the road on my exposed side and back. Assuming someone going faster wearing "Draggin' Jeans", when the denim sections of those jeans rip apart whats going to happen to the kevlar? Its going to ride up just like my jacket leaving the person sliding on skin.

I agree any gear is better than none, I just think calling stuff like that gear is misleading and gives a false sense of security. If people are going to ride around in jeans, they should recognize they are riding around in jeans, without the idea that the particular pair they are wearing is going to provide anything beyond negligible protection. At least pickup those full kevlar leggings if you want something discrete.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

gotly posted:

My gear:

Jacket: Xelement CF 545: basically cordura with a zip out liner and removable foam padding on the shoulders, elbows and back. There's a picture here but that's the best I've found. I got it on eBay a while back and there's very little information about it. I find it really comfortable and wear it every time I'm on the bike. Anyone know anything more about these? Are they junk? I'd be willing to buy a new one.

Gloves: Scorpion eXo: I loving love these things, really comfortable, breathable and I'd trust them to take care of my hands in a fall.

Helmet: HJC.. I don't know I bought it at the motorcycle store. It's full face and I like it a lot.

Boots: Original SWAT Classic 9". I know they're not designed for riding but they fit me pretty well and unless I'm mistaken, they'll work during a crash.

Pants: ... what pants? I've been really wanting to buy some but I'm not sure what I should buy. Budget is $100-$150. I'd like to wear them during Iowa summers (80-100 degrees). Do I want something like this?. My work "commute" (1.5 miles) is all 25 MPH back roads so I'm not sure if it'd even be worth wearing the pants during that. The only other time I ride is for pleasure so I'd be all right with dedicated pants, I just prefer over-pants because I'm more likely to wear them if I can take them off when I get to my destination. Any suggestions?

Those pants are fine. You could consider mesh/textile combo gear as well because your "commute" isn't exactly that far. If you do a lot of higher speed stuff when you're doing your dedicated riding, you'd be better off with the full textile stuff or leather gear. If you'd rather go with dedicated pants, pick up some knee armor type stuff to slip on under your clothes during your commute. At 25mph, that'll help save your knees on impact, and you'd just be taking your chances on the road rash.

I'd also go for some motorcycle specific boots with an internal brace system that'll protect your ankles if at all possible. But those boots are better than normal shoes, for sure.

Chopsy
Dec 27, 2005

GUNS GUNS GUNS
BIKES BIKES
YOUR MOM

LOLLERZ posted:

No kidding on this, I've been trying to figure out how to make my own pair of pants that don't suck. Mainly I want to be able to unzip both legs and take them off without having to take off my boots. Locking them to the bike would be an awesome bonus.

The Olympia Recon pants sound pretty close to what you're trying to do. They don't look bad at all off the bike, but the leg zippers go up to the knee, so you can either take then off with your boots still on, or zip off the legs (with armor attached) leaving you with a perfectly reasonable pair of cargo shorts.

The mesh bits vent super well, too. My only complaint is that they'd look better if the legs were just a tad wider at the bottom.

gotly
Oct 28, 2007
Economy-Sized

Z3n posted:

Those pants are fine. You could consider mesh/textile combo gear as well because your "commute" isn't exactly that far. If you do a lot of higher speed stuff when you're doing your dedicated riding, you'd be better off with the full textile stuff or leather gear. If you'd rather go with dedicated pants, pick up some knee armor type stuff to slip on under your clothes during your commute. At 25mph, that'll help save your knees on impact, and you'd just be taking your chances on the road rash.

I'd also go for some motorcycle specific boots with an internal brace system that'll protect your ankles if at all possible. But those boots are better than normal shoes, for sure.

Based on what you said, it looks like the Tour Master Flex Textile/Mesh Pants for $25 more would be my perfect option.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

gotly posted:

Based on what you said, it looks like the Tour Master Flex Textile/Mesh Pants for $25 more would be my perfect option.

Sure, if you like them. The best gear is the kind you don't mind wearing, and if you're not doing a lot of really fast riding, those would probably hold up fine in a crash. I've had a fair bit of Tour Master gear and it's all been good stuff. If you feel that you'd prefer a bit more protection at the cost of comfort, I'd go for the full textiles. If you're questionable on wearing them at all due to the conditions, go with the mesh/textile stuff.

gotly
Oct 28, 2007
Economy-Sized
The reason I thought they would work well is they can convert to full textile for the higher speeds, unless I'm reading it wrong.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

gotly posted:

The reason I thought they would work well is they can convert to full textile for the higher speeds, unless I'm reading it wrong.

Why so they can! I didn't even notice that. Yeah, those would be a good compromise.

Bruinator
Jul 6, 2005
I think it's pretty clear I'm going to want both a pair of overpants for commuting and a pair of pants (perforated leather?) specifically for pleasure riding.

For overpants I'm leaning towards the Calibers above or the Hein Gericke cargo overpants seen here: http://heingericke-usa.com/products/cargooverpants.shtml. Anyone have experience with these?

webwench
Jan 15, 2004

won't shut up
Has anyone tried any Motoport/Cycleport gear? They sell kevlar mesh jackets and pants, and like the Aerostich suits, Cycleport stuff is custom-made to your measurements. (And like Aerostich, they cost big $$$ and they're only available by mail-order.) I haven't seen any of this stuff in person, unfortunately, and I need to before I make that leap.

Also, has anyone tried one of the new Olympia one-piece suits?

I've gone through a bunch of gear, it's really tough to find gear that fits women :( For cold weather I currently use Olympia overpants and a Firstgear Kilimanjaro jacket, very warm but they make me look like a linebacker! I also have one mesh jacket that I simply don't trust to be protective, and another mesh jacket that doesn't fit quite right. And a pair of First Gear mesh overpants that are too short and ride up when I'm on the bike. Had a third-hand Aerostich that I liked (easy-on easy-off, and very waterproof!), but which was also too short in the legs, so I sold it :P

On the positive side for gear, if you need warm gloves, the BMW winter gloves will do the trick, especially if you have heated grips. There is an inner layer, then some airspace, then a water-resistant outer layer, and your own body heat forms a warm little pocket of air there. My hands stayed warm for several hours in snow, ice, and mid-20 degree F temperatures on this trip last winter.

webwench fucked around with this message at 05:14 on Apr 29, 2008

Zenaida
Nov 13, 2004

webwench posted:

Also, has anyone tried one of the new Olympia one-piece suits?

Yes.

Me in the middle:

On bike:

I like it. Do you have any specific questions? It held up very well when I wrecked.

webwench
Jan 15, 2004

won't shut up

Zenaida posted:

specific questions?

Oh good :)

Can you tell me what size yours is and what the inseam is?

I heard complaints there's an unwieldy amount of velcro on this, and it's hard to get in and out of. What's your opinion after having time to wear and get used to it?

Is it waterproof?

Can the knee armor location be adjusted up and down?

Thanks for your thoughts... and for the crash report, too. Just read your post about it, hope you get your bike back together soon.

webwench fucked around with this message at 06:18 on Apr 29, 2008

Zenaida
Nov 13, 2004
Bike is totaled, but I bought another '02 SV650 yesterday. Mine is an XL. I just measured 44" from the velcro waist adjuster belt thing to the end of the leg. When I buy pants I get 34" inseam. I'm 6'3 230lbs. It's a little tight in the crotch-to-shoulder dimension, but not so's you'd notice. It's uncomfortable doing an "It's good" arms raised motion, but there's no need for that on a bike anyway. When I wrecked I was wearing a Large, it was even worse in that respect. It was really uncomfortable sitting in a chair with it, but it was okay on the bike. It did tug on my shoulders and made them really sore after a longish ride. I've read Olympia fits short and fat, so you might have better luck if you're shaped differently than me. I'm still happy with it at 1/2 the price of an Aerostitch though.

I haven't worn an Aerostitch, so I can't compare the ease of entry directly, but it is a bit of a pain sometimes. There's a neck-to-hip zipper and hip-to-ankle zippers on each leg. Each zipper also has velcro all along it. If I put it on before my boots, I don't need to unzip the legs, which makes it a bit faster.

It's supposed to be waterproof. I live in San Diego and just started riding in Feb, so I haven't had it in rain yet.

The knee armor is somewhat adjustable, I haven't really messed with it, it seemed to sit in the right place for me out of the box.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
Ugh. Having a guy on my gaming board tell a new rider not to bother spending money on gear because a) it makes you ride like recklessly like an idiot, b) he doesn't wear gear and therefore never takes his bike (Harley...hurr) over 80 mph, and c) helmets weigh "200 pounds upon impact."

OptimusMatrix
Nov 13, 2003

Well I just had one of the female snaps come out of the mesh material on my 500 dollar Joe Rocket jacket. I've had the jacket a total of 4 days. It was in the mesh maerial on the front of the sleave. The jacket is the Joe Rocket Speedmaster 5.0. I called them and they said they've had numerous people saying they've had that happen to them. I really liked the way that jacket looked too. I went to the dealer where I bought it from and they've ordered me another one and I'm hanging with this one until that one comes in. If it happens again I'm done with Joe Rocket stuff for good.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

OptimusMatrix posted:

Well I just had one of the female snaps come out of the mesh material on my 500 dollar Joe Rocket jacket. I've had the jacket a total of 4 days. It was in the mesh maerial on the front of the sleave. The jacket is the Joe Rocket Speedmaster 5.0. I called them and they said they've had numerous people saying they've had that happen to them. I really liked the way that jacket looked too. I went to the dealer where I bought it from and they've ordered me another one and I'm hanging with this one until that one comes in. If it happens again I'm done with Joe Rocket stuff for good.

I'm still wearing my leather JR, but I've already had the snaps replaced under warranty (about 8 months after I bought it) because the rubber that attaches the snap to the arm got a tear in it and the snap ripped off in my hand (I guess the "male" end using your nomenclature). The one on the other arm was about 1/2 way through.

I'm fully expecting them to rip off again. Not to mention that I have them sometimes unsnap when I flex my arm (I am not muscular), making me worry about their performance in a fall. I'll see if they warranty it a second time. If not, I'll probably just get another jacket.

EDIT:
Found my post of when they broke with pictures of the tear. There's also a post by aventari where the snaps ripped off in a lowslide.

Uthor fucked around with this message at 20:36 on Apr 29, 2008

free bowl of soup
Jan 14, 2004

Uthor posted:

Ugh. Having a guy on my gaming board tell a new rider not to bother spending money on gear because a) it makes you ride like recklessly like an idiot, b) he doesn't wear gear and therefore never takes his bike (Harley...hurr) over 80 mph, and c) helmets weigh "200 pounds upon impact."
Why do people make up all these excuses? Why don't they just say they value comfort over safety and be done with it? Why spread misinformation willingly?

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

I need some advice on open-face helmets -- other than "don't get them", it's not for me. A friend of mine insists on wearing a 3/4 open-face helmet. She was looking at Fulmer helmets because they come pretty close to the style worn during the era of her bike (early 70s).

http://www.fulmerhelmets.com/Product/afv2.html

I've also seen the Cromwell classic-style helmets, but I know they aren't DOT certified. Are Fulmer helmets any good? Are there any other good 3/4 open-face helmets of that general style that are better? Thanks.

Skier
Apr 24, 2003

Fuck yeah.
Fan of Britches
I think the Fulmer lids tested fairly well in whatever mag did the "blowing the lid off" article. My woman has one of their full-face lids.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

rope kid posted:

I need some advice on open-face helmets -- other than "don't get them", it's not for me. A friend of mine insists on wearing a 3/4 open-face helmet. She was looking at Fulmer helmets because they come pretty close to the style worn during the era of her bike (early 70s).

I've also seen the Cromwell classic-style helmets, but I know they aren't DOT certified. Are Fulmer helmets any good? Are there any other good 3/4 open-face helmets of that general style that are better? Thanks.

I know this isn't what you asked for, but see if you can convince her to wear a full face. I liked this site. It seems kind of :words: until you get to this part:

quote:

My personal "favorite" pro-full-face helmet anecdote describes a situation in which the motorcyclist was involved in a collision, and "woke up" to see the pavement speeding past, an inch and a half from his eyes, helmet bobbling along the ground. He was sliding on his chest, and unable to lift his head. Had he been wearing a 3/4 or half helmet and survived, he wouldn't have had a face any more. Protection from that situation alone was enough to convince me that I would never wear anything that didn't offer full-face protection.

Just thinking about what would have happened had he been wearing a three quarters helmet... Oh god D:

aventari
Mar 20, 2001

I SWIFTLY PENETRATED YOUR MOMS MEAT TACO WHILE AGGRESSIVELY FONDLING THE UNDERSIDE OF YOUR DADS HAIRY BALLSACK, THEN RIPPED HIS SAUSAGE OFF AND RAMMED IT INTO YOUR MOMS TAILPIPE. I JIZZED FURIOUSLY, DEEP IN YOUR MOMS MEATY BURGER WHILE THRUSTING A ANSA MUFFLER UP MY GREASY TAILHOLE

rope kid posted:

this is a pretty classic style

Gay Nudist Dad
Dec 12, 2006

asshole on a scooter

aventari posted:

this is a pretty classic style

This is the saddest thing I've ever seen.

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

What amount of gear is necessary for "really good" protection? Thinking about taking the MSF at the end of the summer, and if I like it and don't completely suck will probably buy a small beginner bike and gear. I'm planning on doing it the right way - lots of money on gear and a cheap bike that won't make me cry if I drop it.

From what I can tell I'm going to need pants, a jacket (that hooks up to the pants with 360 degree zipper?), boots, gloves, back protector, knee armor, and of course a helmet. Anything I'm leaving off?

I don't mind having boots that I can't wear around off the bike, and am planning on getting a pair of nice overpants. I'm not particularly worried about cost but won't be getting anything crazy like a custom made suit. My main goal is to minimize the chance of having to go to the hospital if/when I fall (spent 8 days in hospital before, which isn't even that long, and have made it my goal to avoid ever going again if I can).

Also, how do contacts work out while riding? Does the wind dry them out completely? Even in my car my contacts get dry and hard to see out of sometimes, I would not want that to happen on a bike. Do certain helmets work better in this regard than other? I'd imagine ones with less airflow, but have no idea.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

devnull420 posted:

What amount of gear is necessary for "really good" protection? Thinking about taking the MSF at the end of the summer, and if I like it and don't completely suck will probably buy a small beginner bike and gear. I'm planning on doing it the right way - lots of money on gear and a cheap bike that won't make me cry if I drop it.
i'd say one of everything. gloves, boots, pants, jacket, full-face helmet.

quote:

From what I can tell I'm going to need pants, a jacket (that hooks up to the pants with 360 degree zipper?), boots, gloves, back protector, knee armor, and of course a helmet. Anything I'm leaving off?
good jacket and pants will have armor in them so you shouldn't need extra knee/back/etc stuff. gloves seem to vary a lot. some have fancy hard parts in them on the knuckles, some have really minimal padding.
leather holds up better in crashes, but is less temperature-flexible and is more expensive.

quote:

Also, how do contacts work out while riding? Does the wind dry them out completely? Even in my car my contacts get dry and hard to see out of sometimes, I would not want that to happen on a bike. Do certain helmets work better in this regard than other? I'd imagine ones with less airflow, but have no idea.
in my experience, contacts are actually more comfortable when riding than when sitting around say at a computer. i think the wind must subconsciously induce you to blink more which offsets the dryness.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Terminus Est
Sep 30, 2005

Motorcycle Miliitia

rope kid posted:

If she has to get an open face helmet, at least convince her to get one with a face shield. You might be able to convince her that a mad-max styled ROOF, or ROOF-esque helmet would be a smarter choice. While not DOT, they're ECE certified. There's also those old-school mx helmets with the bar going in front of the chin that would be better than nothing and retain that vintage hipster styling. Be sure to tell her about road debris getting kicked up in your face when you ride. I've had enough loving rocks and giant bugs smack my face that I can't imagine the terror of riding without full face protection.