Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kahm
May 13, 2004

what's goin' on in this fridge

Handen posted:

That blue one is the exact guitar I have wanted forever. I think I've told you this before, hah.

I would do anything to get my hands on exactly one of those.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HolySwissCheese
Mar 26, 2005
Found this guitar at a pawn shop last weekend. I even managed to because of a sticker find the old owner on myspace and message him about the guitar.

One switch activates a really cool all-analogue V-Stack preamp thing. Another switch changes between two really well voiced EQ presets on the preamp. Another switch engages a distortion.

It's got wonderfully tacky VW poo poo all over it

Also it has someone's VIN

HolySwissCheese fucked around with this message at 07:45 on Apr 30, 2008

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

Handen posted:

Yeah. I've been calling it anodized nickel but smoked chrome sounds good too.

Did you get it with that hardware or did you buy them somewhere...?

Susano-maku da!
Nov 12, 2003

Hi. Did you order the Mongolian… Beef?

Noxville posted:

Did you get it with that hardware or did you buy them somewhere...?

They came standard with that particular color.

an AOL chatroom
Oct 3, 2002

Decided to stir the pot a little bit with some new pedals.

This is the MXR MC-402, which is just like the MC-401 except that it's got an Overdrive section added. The boost is wonderful. It's just what I needed to push through the mix a little bit for solos without switching to distortion/od. The OD side is very meh. I'm not sure what kind of sound they were going for, but it's very unnatural. I'm gonna play with it for a while and see if I can make it work somewhere.

M.I. Audio Crunchbox. Wheeee!!! A very lively distortion pedal that's just got gobs and gobs of sound. I'm still experimenting with settings, but I like what I've got so far. It stacks up nicely with the OCD.

Capitan Dad
May 16, 2007

shemaghs are so gay its like smegma hahaha
I think I'm gonna put a black pickguard on it.

Susano-maku da!
Nov 12, 2003

Guess I'd better post pictures of the Maton before I sell it this weekend.

Gramps
Dec 30, 2006

Dayum! You're selling it why exactly? Thats a beaut right there.

Col.Kiwi
Dec 28, 2004
And the grave digger puts on the forceps...

Capitan Dad posted:

I think I'm gonna put a black pickguard on it.

Nice. The Dot Studio is a great guitar which is way nicer than its very low price suggests. The pickups are terrible (standard Epiphone situation) but man oh man is it comfy and well-built. I love mine and it sounds amazing with aftermarket pickups in it.

Nice Maton. How does it play? What's the neck profile like? How do the pickups sound?

ZombiePeanut
May 11, 2007

by Fistgrrl

Col.Kiwi posted:

Nice. The Dot Studio is a great guitar which is way nicer than its very low price suggests. The pickups are terrible (standard Epiphone situation) but man oh man is it comfy and well-built. I love mine and it sounds amazing with aftermarket pickups in it.

Is the wiring as retarded as the epi LP?

Also, something I've always wondered... how exactly do you change the pickups/wiring in an archtop? There never seems to be any kind of control cavity.

And since you've probably had some experience with both, how would you rate the epi dot studio/standard against the artcore AS/AF/whatevers?

garfield hentai
Feb 29, 2004
Happy (belated) birthday to me :~)

Say what you will about COSM, but this thing sounds really god damned excellent. Definitely a step up from the gt-8, and its so ridiculously easy to use. I love the interface on this thing. Only thing is, people complain that the lights are too bright, but that's just a load of crap, right?

...right?

Sacred Cow
Aug 13, 2007
This is my pride and joy.

3.5 years of waiting was well worth it.

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

The price of meat has just gone up, and your old lady has just gone down

Frinky posted:

Happy (belated) birthday to me :~)

Say what you will about COSM, but this thing sounds really god damned excellent. Definitely a step up from the gt-8, and its so ridiculously easy to use. I love the interface on this thing. Only thing is, people complain that the lights are too bright, but that's just a load of crap, right?

...right?

Could you post some clips up? I'm especially interested in hearing how they've improved their amp models and cabinet simulation.

Col.Kiwi
Dec 28, 2004

ZombiePeanut posted:

Also, something I've always wondered... how exactly do you change the pickups/wiring in an archtop? There never seems to be any kind of control cavity.

And since you've probably had some experience with both, how would you rate the epi dot studio/standard against the artcore AS/AF/whatevers?
I haven't been inside the guts of an Epi LP, I'm assuming you are referring to ground loops as my Epi SG had one when it was new. I didn't notice any problems with the wiring in the Dot Studio, possibly cause it has very simple electronics -- master vol, master tone, 3-way.

Swapping pickups in an archtop is kind of a bitch, you need to take the knobs off of the pots, tie some kind of thin but strong string around them (I used dental floss) and unscrew them from the top so they drop into the hollow chamber in the body. Then you remove the pickups and pull the pots and switch out through the empty pickup cavity by the wires. You've then got to wire everything up and solder it together outside the body, feed the pots and switch back in through the pickup cavity and pull them back into their original locations. This is why you tied strings to them earlier which have been hanging out of the holes in the guitar top the whole time. It is a bit of a painstaking process but you just have to be careful, it's easier than it sounds. The nice thing about the Dot Studio's electronics is that it has master vol/tone controls so if you are only swapping the pickups you only need to make/break solder joints at the switch and nowhere else. I pity the man who has to rewire an archtop with Les Paul style electronics (like a 335 or a Dot Standard) from scratch, I think I'd go insane.

Alternatively, the lazy way is to just cut the wires off the existing pickups at the pickup side and then solder that end of them onto the new pickups leads. This of course renders the original pickups useless (until somebody puts new leads on them) but it does let you leave the switch and pots in place.

When I was shopping for archtops I tried an AS73 and an AS83, they were nice guitars and I'd say the build quality was pretty similar to a Dot - also excellent. The pickups also sucked, as you'd expect in such inexpensive guitars. I'd say the necks on the artcores were a little thinner, which for me was a disadvantage. The factory setup was a little better on the Dot but I don't think you'd have trouble setting either up just how you wanted it. The Dot has Grover tuners which are a little smoother and more stable than the Ibanez ones. At the end of the day I think a comparison would come down only to personal preference. I found both quite playable and wound up with a Dot mainly because I preferred the body style.

ZombiePeanut
May 11, 2007

by Fistgrrl

Col.Kiwi posted:

I haven't been inside the guts of an Epi LP, I'm assuming you are referring to ground loops as my Epi SG had one when it was new. I didn't notice any problems with the wiring in the Dot Studio, possibly cause it has very simple electronics -- master vol, master tone, 3-way.

I don't think it had ground loops per se, but the capacitors were running through the ground wiring for some bizarre reason, and the grounds were done in about the most retarded way imaginable. I'm pretty surprised it actually worked.

And thanks for the other info as well.

an AOL chatroom
Oct 3, 2002

ZombiePeanut posted:

Like Col.Kiwi said, it sucks. Someone on another forum mentioned using rubber tubing (like the kind you'd use in an aquarium) instead of string or wire so that you can pull it right back up through the original hole when you're done soldering.

Chows
Apr 13, 2002

Sacred Cow posted:

oh fuuuuuuuuuuuuuck

I am a jealous, jealous man :(

Out Of Band
May 2, 2002

HI I AM A CLAM
Changing things up a bit from the near constant guitar-fest which is this thread...

Just ordered that. I'm seriously excited to get it... It's basically the keyboard controller I've always wanted. I just found out about it today and once I had, I was all over it.

Aftertouch, ribbon controller, motorized faders, endless encoders... It has some pretty unique features that I'm looking forward to trying as well. And it's just so RED! I just hope the key action is decent on it. I have played around with older CME controllers though and they were completely respectable, so I'm not too worried.

Oh, I probably would have gotten a Novation Remote SL-61, but I already have a Zero SL, so not much point there, though the automap 2.0 stuff is the poo poo.

Out Of Band fucked around with this message at 23:04 on May 2, 2008

Susano-maku da!
Nov 12, 2003

Gramps posted:

Dayum! You're selling it why exactly? Thats a beaut right there.

I can't do 25.5" guitars. Hurts my hands. I traded my Ravelle Elite for this, because it's worth more, really.

Col.Kiwi posted:

Nice Maton. How does it play? What's the neck profile like? How do the pickups sound?

The neck is very nice feeling. The profile fits well in my hands, it's not huge (I'm 5'4" so god knows what that means). The pickups are very versatile... The black two-way switch is a coil tap that switches the bridge pickup from hum to single.

Gramps
Dec 30, 2006

You know, I thought the same thing, but I just got a new axe with the longer scale length and after a few weeks I'm pretty used to it. Shortening my strap seemed to help make a bit of a difference.

Susano-maku da!
Nov 12, 2003

No, it's not that, my wrists went numb last October from work and they get bad pain every now and then. I have to play my Mustang fairly high.

Susano-maku da! fucked around with this message at 00:25 on May 3, 2008

Alfa Tard
Sep 30, 2002

Stoopid Noobie

Sacred Cow posted:

ooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

Gramps
Dec 30, 2006

gently caress man... that sucks. If it were me I'd keep that baby until I was healed up. Have you looked into rehab for your wrists at all?

XYZAB
Jun 29, 2003

HNNNNNGG!!

ZombiePeanut posted:

I found this picture on the HCEG forums, it might help:

Cirofren
Jun 13, 2005

Pillbug

whataclam posted:

Changing things up a bit from the near constant guitar-fest which is this thread...

drat.

I was looking into getting both a midi keyboard and simple control surface (for Protools) later this year and now I think I know exactly what I'm getting. Really glad you posted this.

Engine Fortegue
Feb 1, 2004

strap me down they must sedate me

poke me prod me irritate me

Handen posted:

That looks annoying and frustrating as hell

FlossMan
Oct 19, 2005

No, I can't. Too much hair.
No pictures yet, but I scored a Mighty Mite ash telecaster body with quilted maple top and a sunburst finish for $60... and spent an hour and a half with a friend of mine from the local guitar shop brainstorming parts to build the ultimate Tele. In the end, I had a set of Lace tele pickups for it along with a neck from one of my favorite Strats...

The only problem is that the 3-saddle bridge is apparently too long for the pickup cavity/string holes... so... it won't be complete until I can get a bridge that fits. Everything else is in place, though, and it looks fantastic.

XYZAB
Jun 29, 2003

HNNNNNGG!!

Engine Fortegue posted:

That looks annoying and frustrating as hell

I know I'll never get a semi-hollow body. I mod every guitar I have and that poo poo looks retarded.

Out Of Band
May 2, 2002

HI I AM A CLAM

Cirofren posted:

drat.

I was looking into getting both a midi keyboard and simple control surface (for Protools) later this year and now I think I know exactly what I'm getting. Really glad you posted this.

The VX series from CME is - in my opinion - one of the most feature rich keyboard controllers available currently, especially if you're interested in expressivity while playing. The second choice as mentioned is the Novation Remote SL, which has some truly great features as well (particularly now that Automap has matured a bit).

The VX stuff isn't exactly cheap, but look at what you get for your money and it makes a lot of sense.

qball
Aug 1, 2002

You could go and have a bite, and you'd still be hearin' that one.
My pedal board is almost complete

Japanese made Boss OC-2 Octave

Susano-maku da!
Nov 12, 2003

Gramps posted:

gently caress man... that sucks. If it were me I'd keep that baby until I was healed up. Have you looked into rehab for your wrists at all?

Yes, though it was going away for some time so my neurologist told me to lay low. But since my wrists are getting bad again, I may have to do so. I see her again on Monday.

I don't know though, I prefer my Mustang in terms of feel. The neck may not be as fast, but the profile and scale fits my tiny hands and arms better. Plus I prefer single coils and once I get the thing rewired I'll have enough versatility in it--I'm getting it wired Kinman style, so I can use the two switches on the guitar to set the pickups from series to parallel. It'll give me a lot of versatility.

FlossMan
Oct 19, 2005

No, I can't. Too much hair.
All right... here's some pictures of the almost-finished Tele:

XYZAB
Jun 29, 2003

HNNNNNGG!!

Susano-maku da! posted:

Yes, though it was going away for some time so my neurologist told me to lay low. But since my wrists are getting bad again, I may have to do so. I see her again on Monday.

I don't know though, I prefer my Mustang in terms of feel. The neck may not be as fast, but the profile and scale fits my tiny hands and arms better. Plus I prefer single coils and once I get the thing rewired I'll have enough versatility in it--I'm getting it wired Kinman style, so I can use the two switches on the guitar to set the pickups from series to parallel. It'll give me a lot of versatility.

I know this might sound far-out but do you know where I could find switching modification diagrams for Fender Jaguars that allow for phase or series switching when the neck/bridge pup selectors are in the "off" position in the lead circuit? I saw someone post it on the shortscale.org forums before they crashed, and when they came back up that thread had disappeared.

DumpOrCrap
Jul 29, 2006
Just bought this guy:

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Martin-SWDGT-Smartwood-Dreadnought-Acoutic-Guitar?sku=514761&src=3WWRWXO1&ZYXSEM=0

I've always wanted a Martin acoustic, and decided to treat myself to something nice. Got mine used for $900 from a local shop. It's in pristine condition, and really the only way you can tell that its not brand new is if you look closely at the pick guard, their are some small scratches. And oh yeah, it sounds loving incredible. I've always had a soft spot in my heart for Martin's though, so I'm probably biased.

Col.Kiwi
Dec 28, 2004

Handen posted:

Man, that guy took everything out through the F-hole. I have no idea what posesses people to do that, it seems to me like it'd be way more of a pain in the rear end than taking it out through the pickup cavity. Maybe the f holes are bigger on the guitars people are doing this on, but I'm sure I'd have broken a solder joint if I tried to cram everything through the f hole in my Dot.

an AOL chatroom
Oct 3, 2002

Col.Kiwi posted:

Man, that guy took everything out through the F-hole. I have no idea what posesses people to do that, it seems to me like it'd be way more of a pain in the rear end than taking it out through the pickup cavity. Maybe the f holes are bigger on the guitars people are doing this on, but I'm sure I'd have broken a solder joint if I tried to cram everything through the f hole in my Dot.

On my Sheraton II, that's the only way to get everything out. The pickups are mounted in a solid section in the middle of the body and the leads go through a hole into the lower half.

Col.Kiwi
Dec 28, 2004

bisticles posted:

On my Sheraton II, that's the only way to get everything out. The pickups are mounted in a solid section in the middle of the body and the leads go through a hole into the lower half.
What a pain in the rear end. In a Dot the pickups are in fact mounted in the solid centre block (probably in any semihollow) but there's a large hole in the side of the bridge pickup cavity which is much easier to squeeze things through than an f hole. If I opened up a semihollow I wanted to swap pickups in and found there was just a tiny hole barely wide enough to feed the wires through (like say a Les Paul) I'd probably just give up and pay somebody to do it.

the wizards beard
Apr 15, 2007
Reppin

4 LIFE 4 REAL
Guess I lucked out then.

Good thing too, I want to swap these pickups out fairly soon.

Alucardd
Aug 1, 2006
Finally found a Roland XV-2020 synth and the wind Patches for my Electronic Wind Instrument and it really does make a difference compared to the on-board analog synth or softsynths.

I also just picked up a cheap Graftonite mouthpiece for my bari.

Although loud as hell, it's tone is not quite as good as my Runyon. It certainly is a good backup piece though.

whataclam posted:

Seriously, there more to music than guitars. :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AstroZamboni
Mar 8, 2007

Smoothing the Ice on Europa since 1997!

FlossMan posted:

All right... here's some pictures of the almost-finished Tele:

The quilted top is sex.