Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cramps
Jul 27, 2003

how pretty.
I found a stray cat and absolutely can't keep him here, we already have two and the landlord says that's all he'll allow. Do you generally have to pay to take strays to a shelter? It's not a problem if I do, I'm just curious. He's living in the basement until we get him taken care of, so he's warm and well cared for, but isolated from our cats because I'm paranoid about strange kitties getting my boys sick.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sekhmet
Nov 16, 2001

cramps posted:

I found a stray cat and absolutely can't keep him here, we already have two and the landlord says that's all he'll allow. Do you generally have to pay to take strays to a shelter? It's not a problem if I do, I'm just curious. He's living in the basement until we get him taken care of, so he's warm and well cared for, but isolated from our cats because I'm paranoid about strange kitties getting my boys sick.

You're doing the right thing keeping him separated from your own cats.

The way I've seemed to notice it, high-volume municipal shelters and the like don't charge you to take in an animal whereas "no-kill" limited access ones might. So it largely depends on where you decide to take him.

Jan 18, 2006

by Fragmaster
To my surprise I can't seem to find any links here to soft paws or soft claws or soft pawz or soft clawz or any of the 10 billion variations on that name.

Is there a recommended one? There's a shitload on google but are they all the same? It's for two fat adult cats who are jerks.

Edit: This seems pretty legit, so I'll just go with that.

http://www.petsmart.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2754502

3363 fucked around with this message at 20:17 on May 4, 2008

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde

cramps posted:

Municipal shelters don't charge to pick up strays; that's why they are there. Depending on where you live, humane societies and private shelters may not accept strays at all and deal only with owner-released animals. There may be a requirement in your area that you report finding the animal to animal control in case the owner is looking for it, but not necessarily that you bring it in right away.

Edit: changed "won't" to "may not" so it makes more sense.

SubponticatePoster fucked around with this message at 23:05 on May 6, 2008

Sekhmet
Nov 16, 2001

100 Years in Iraq posted:

Municipal shelters don't charge to pick up strays; that's why they are there. Depending on where you live, humane societies and private shelters won't accept strays at all and deal only with owner-released animals.

Actually the limited access private shelter where I worked only took in strays and did not take owner relinquishments at all. :confused:

nonanone
Oct 25, 2007

Imagine my surprise when I woke up in the morning and saw a stray cat with kittens right outside my window (being an apartment in a house, my window is level with the roof). Well, I managed to rope two of the kittens so far, and though fearful, they seem okay and are eating just fine. I can't imagine that the kittens are too young, because they're eating solid food and zoom around just fine. But I remember that some of them were nursing too. So maybe 5 weeks?

We'd like to keep the kittens, and we're going to bring them to vet today or tomorrow. We have one cat, and we're keeping her away for now. But because they were stray, although the momma cat was semi-tame, most likely a lost pet, they hiss whenever I come near. They don't scratch or bite, and I'm hoping that with time they'll warm up. So are there any tips on what to do, or how to get them to warm up to me?

Here's a picture of said troublemakers:

Lakshmi
Nov 28, 2006
Oh my God what the fuck is he?
Do cats shed their whiskers? Recently I've been finding about 2 inch long pieces of whisker on the floor. I find one about once a week. I'm pretty sure I've heard about whiskers growing back, so I'm not terribly concerned, but I'm wondering if it means anything that they're falling out.

In case it matters, my cats are 15 years old and are on a diet of Royal Canin Urinary SO.

Khukuri
Jan 17, 2006
"...and all the wolves were found upside-down in a box!"

Lakshmi posted:

Do cats shed their whiskers? Recently I've been finding about 2 inch long pieces of whisker on the floor. I find one about once a week. I'm pretty sure I've heard about whiskers growing back, so I'm not terribly concerned, but I'm wondering if it means anything that they're falling out.

In case it matters, my cats are 15 years old and are on a diet of Royal Canin Urinary SO.

Yep, every so often I'll find one around the place. As far as I can tell it's not related to diet or age.

VikingKitten
Jan 19, 2003
nonanone, you really need a thread of your own about the RoofKittens. They're gonna be way too cute to hide in the catch-all thread!

Also, Lakshmi, my longhaired kitten shed all - I mean ALL - of his whiskers at about 3 months. They just disappeared one day and he looked so odd until they grew back.

ChairmanMeow
Mar 1, 2008

Fire up the grill everyone eats tonight!
Lipstick Apathy
my 2 year old female cat was licking my bedroom wall today. It's the second time I have seen her do this. Last time was about a month ago. She only does it to the wall in my bedroom on the wall that is faces the back yard. she gets the licks as high as she can reach, even standing on her hind legs. its just the area around my bed, it's like she is bathing it and she lets out soft mews.
It's very weird and I can't really distract her from it until I get out of bed and leave the room and then she comes with me.
She has plenty of food and water. The wall is slightly cool to the touch as it is the coolest room in the house. I have never spilled anything on it and haven't washed down the walls since I have had her.

Kalma
May 23, 2004

Ha ha ha ha. You're really weird.

ChairmanMeow posted:

my 2 year old female cat was licking my bedroom wall today. its just the area around my bed, it's like she is bathing it and she lets out soft mews.

If it's a part where you might brush against it while you're sleeping she could be vicariously cleaning you. Mother cats clean up after their babies pretty throughly, it could be that too.

If it's not a place you'd rub against then I dunno, cats have quirks :)

Wheats
Sep 28, 2007

strange sisters

Update on hamster: still spewing seeds at us when we pick it up to clean its cage, still shrieking, still ridiculously proportioned. If no one calls to respond to the ads we put up by Friday, it goes to the shelter. Until then, though, we'll spoil it.
So what makes a really yummy treat for a hamster? It seems to like small pieces of fresh spinach or apple, but I want to give it something extra special.

Crazedscot
May 1, 2007

I love you smug fox
I just caught my cat eating the foliage of a Madagascar Dragon Tree which turns out to be on the list of plants which are toxic to cats, i'd have got rid of it sooner if i'd known. My question is, should I be immediately concerned and take her to the vet or should I just keep a careful eye on her for now? She doesn't seem to have eaten that much of the foliage.

Also, i've found a couple of whiskers which seem to have fallen out, one in the carpet, one on the bed. I realise this is probably normal, but it's making me paranoid, am I a terrible cat owner?

Crazedscot fucked around with this message at 14:12 on May 6, 2008

Yarrbossa
Mar 19, 2008
I've read about cats urinating places, but what about repeated defecating?

We have 3 cats. We've gotten two decent sized litter boxes and keep them relatively clean, and in the past month or two, one of our cats(haven't gotten it pinpointed, but we have a good idea which one) keeps running off to the back corner of the basement under one of our shelves and making GBS threads. We've made sure the cat box is clean, and the culprit still does it.

I recently moved one of the cat boxes under the shelf, and the cat just poo poo next to it. What is going on? We haven't changed litter or anything of that sort. Any suggestions on how to get my cat to keep using the litter box all the time? It's getting tedious cleaning the cat box and running around trying to find all the extra piles of poo poo.

maplecheese
Oct 31, 2006
Disturbingly delicious.

Crazedscot posted:

I just caught my cat eating the foliage of a Madagascar Dragon Tree which turns out to be on the list of plants which are toxic to cats, i'd have got rid of it sooner if i'd known. My question is, should I be immediately concerned and take her to the vet or should I just keep a careful eye on her for now? She doesn't seem to have eaten that much of the foliage.

Also, i've found a couple of whiskers which seem to have fallen out, one in the carpet, one on the bed. I realise this is probably normal, but it's making me paranoid, am I a terrible cat owner?

Call the vet and talk to them about it. They'll probably just tell you to keep an eye on her (unless that kind of plant is super duper extra poisonous) but they might be able to tell you what symptoms to look out for, and if nothing else you'll be giving them a heads up that the cat has eaten this particular plant and MIGHT be coming in.

As for the whiskers, that's normal.

Artline70
Apr 23, 2008
My cat gave birth a month ago to two beautiful kittens. I have some questions about this:

1. When can I spay her? She's still breastfeeding.
2. She hid the kittens under the bed. Is it normal? Will she know when to take them out on her own?
3. For reason, she prefers eating Meow Mix over every kind of premium kitten food I give her, and she's really, really skinny. Any ideas what to do other than spending lots of cash on cans?
4. Last one - I have homes for the kittens. When should they be ready to move out?

Not Impressed
Feb 11, 2005
You could tell I was no debutante.

ChairmanMeow posted:

my 2 year old female cat was licking my bedroom wall today.

We have the same problem (only worse) with our 3 year old calico. She will lick the wall, funiture, carpet, people, clothing, blankets, outside, inside - everything.

My vet's exact words: "Some of them are just lickers."

My vet didn't seem concerned and we try to distract her when starts up on a licking streak. As far as I can tell, its just a strange habit or a nervous tick - ours purrs like crazy when she's licking things, it seems to comfort her.

Olive Bar
Mar 30, 2005

Take me to the moon

Yarrbossa posted:

I've read about cats urinating places, but what about repeated defecating?

We have 3 cats. We've gotten two decent sized litter boxes and keep them relatively clean, and in the past month or two, one of our cats(haven't gotten it pinpointed, but we have a good idea which one) keeps running off to the back corner of the basement under one of our shelves and making GBS threads. We've made sure the cat box is clean, and the culprit still does it.

I recently moved one of the cat boxes under the shelf, and the cat just poo poo next to it. What is going on? We haven't changed litter or anything of that sort. Any suggestions on how to get my cat to keep using the litter box all the time? It's getting tedious cleaning the cat box and running around trying to find all the extra piles of poo poo.

I'm not sure if it could be a sign for something but I do know that you don't have enough litter boxes, I think the rule of thumb is one for every cat plus one extra. So you could try buying two more litter boxes and see if that helps at all.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde

Lioness posted:

Actually the limited access private shelter where I worked only took in strays and did not take owner relinquishments at all. :confused:
Some cities contract with private shelters to provide their animal services instead of operating their own. I'm not a huge fan of this approach, since it's sort of like using the local rent-a-cops as your main police force. Do you also have a full-on city or county shelter there? I guess I should've said "depending on where you live, humane societies may not accept strays" since now that I'm rereading it sounds weird.

ChairmanMeow
Mar 1, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Thank you Not Impressed and Kalma.
Something about it seemed like she was nervously doing it, and she has a really set routine for a cat.(That doesn't involve wall grooming) The house has been tested for lead and it's all fine and she has an appointment next week.(booster shots) As long as she isn't a lone wall licker :)

Parsnip
Jun 24, 2004
you chose...poorly
Does this site http://www.montanacatnip.com/ belong to the person that was selling the catnip toys in PI a while ago? They came in stingray, spider, and some other designs. I was looking to buy some more but I wasn't totally sure on the name. I checked SA Mart (as much as I could since I don't have search) for catnip but found nothing.

ChairmanMeow
Mar 1, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I saw a poster D8 offering to help out Tommy the rescue from montanacatnip dot com
here is the guys profile
http://forums.somethingawful.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=32349

I hope thata is what you were looking for, maybe with the profile you can track it back? to see if it's what you recalled.

maplecheese
Oct 31, 2006
Disturbingly delicious.

Parsnip posted:

Does this site http://www.montanacatnip.com/ belong to the person that was selling the catnip toys in PI a while ago? They came in stingray, spider, and some other designs. I was looking to buy some more but I wasn't totally sure on the name. I checked SA Mart (as much as I could since I don't have search) for catnip but found nothing.

Yep, that's him. He was running a goon discount for a while, but I don't know if it's still on. It's GREAT catnip, btw, and I recommend buying it at whatever price. Our cat managed to get high off the box the drat stuff shipped in.

moonsour
Feb 13, 2007

Ortowned
I'm bird-sitting for a while, and this bird is crazy. I already knew that, since I've watched him before, but he seems to be acting a little different than when I last saw him over a year ago.

Short backstory: About 5-ish years ago in February my mom went in to work at the vet's office, and on the doorstep was a cage. With a parrot inside. After much debate it was decided that he would live at the office, and be kind of an office pet.

The didn't work out well, since he's a screamer. So he stays in the back room and doesn't get much attention. So he plucks. He used to be crazy in love with my mom, and treated her like a mate, but she was sent to Iraq for a year, and now he hates her.

Anyway, because he loved her so much my mom would bring him here for a "vacation" periodically, so I could give him constant doting and attention.

But from the time he got here til his bedtime today he would climb to the lower perch, swing a ball on a chain around, climb back to the top perch, duck his head down, shake his wings, and scream over and over.

And he kept doing it.

Is it boredom? What can I do to make him happy? It'll probably be another day before he gets really clingy with me again, and he doesn't like most of the usual conure things, like fruit, baths, or being a badass. The only thing I KNOW he likes is female singers, mostly light opera.

Help me cheer up Tyson. .__.

Here's a picture:

PS: The pluck report for this visit is a naked back, as far as I can tell.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

MoCookies posted:

Anesthesia is expensive, and you'll also have to pay for the vet's time (not cheap either). I'd be surprised if you find an office who will be significantly cheaper for that type of procedure. Sadly, there are millions of healthy animals that are put down each year, so an elderly cat with who needs hundreds of dollars of dental work is not going to get adopted. It would be kinder to put the cat down now instead of hoping that someone else will get its teeth fixed.

In the big scheme of things, a $700 vet bill isn't that unusual, and its too bad your friends didn't plan for it before getting a pet. poo poo happens, and sometimes its poo poo that needs surgery or intensive vet care.

I just wanted to let you guys know this had a happy ending, the owners got real lucky and thanks to a very friendly soul at the humane society got their cat fixed up. They where going to give her up because that way the humane society people would get the cat the medical attention they could not afford.

But apparently the cat missed them (says this was rare, most pets get over it after a few days)and didn't get over it after a few days so they got to re-adopt the cat, which is now doing just fine :)

HyperGlitter
May 15, 2003

If my cat horribly freaks out whenever another cat so much as even glances by her screen door. I'm talking hissing, puffed out fur everywhere, and loud distressed meows that escalate to the kind of meow-scream you hear during an intense catfight. Is there any hope of her tolerating another cat? I could see it happening with just hissing but the meow was ear-splittingly loud and makes me afraid that she just hates other cats.

Kalma
May 23, 2004

There's always hope, but it might take more time/effort than you're willing to put into it.

Is he fixed? Reproductive hormones can make animals do crazy things.

Basically if you're going to get a new cat, keep them seperated so they can't hurt eachother, but can still smell each other. (Ie, new one in the bathroom with the door closed so they can get to know eachother under the door.)

And be patient.

Supercondescending
Jul 4, 2007

ok frankies now lets get in formation

Miessen and Dr. Housecat MD posted:

Skinny horse advice.

Well. I got the vet to come out and do bloodwork and a fecal, and, lo and behold, he's wormy. :doh: I had him on a rotational worming schedule that this very vet approved, so I don't know what the hell. I also want to know why this vet didn't catch this at the last visit. I feel like poo poo now. My poor horse has had a horrible case of worms all winter and I didn't even freaking know. Ugh.

I'm switching him to a daily wormer, and I'm also switching vets. Going to the feed store later today to find something that works. I just pray he doesn't colic from the epic gut load of worms that he's about to unload. :bang:

Thanks for the advice guys. :sigh:

Kalma
May 23, 2004

I wouldn't beat yourself up too bad. It took the vet twice to see it and he's a professional. :) (maybe not a good one, but still)

alucinor
May 21, 2003

Taco Defender

Seerows Kindness posted:

I'm bird-sitting for a while, and this bird is crazy.

Birds don't like change. They don't like being alone. They don't like being ignored when the "flock" is nearby. Etc.

He's undergone a tremendous amount of stressors just by coming for a visit, and this is his way of acting out his frustrations and birdie angst. I doubt there's much you can do in a short period of time to really make him happy, but keep trying all the things you've mentioned.

One of the best schedules for a bird is: wake up, eat breakfast together, play alone for a few hours (preferably with some foraging toys), eat dinner together, cuddle or play together for a few hours, go to bed on time. If you can start offering a schedule like that he might really like it. Eating together is critical, it's a flock bonding activity.

You might also post in the bird megathread to get the notice of some of the other birdy folk who should have more suggestions.

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

Artline70 posted:

1. When can I spay her? She's still breastfeeding.

I have no idea how spaying would affect breastfeeding. Don't take too long, though. A cat can get pregnant again pretty quickly, or so I've heard. On the other hand, it's usually OK to spay a cat even if it is in the beginning stages of pregnancy (so my vet told me). Really, though, ask a vet, this kind of advice is free. :)

Artline70 posted:

2. She hid the kittens under the bed. Is it normal? Will she know when to take them out on her own?
Yes and yes. If you want to move the kittens, though, give it a shot. Give them a box with high enough walls that they can't crawl out of it. Pad the bottom with something soft. If the mother wants them someplace else, she'll move them. Let her have her way as long as they are in a safe place.

Artline70 posted:

3. For reason, she prefers eating Meow Mix over every kind of premium kitten food I give her, and she's really, really skinny. Any ideas what to do other than spending lots of cash on cans?
The classic advice is to start mixing her old food with a successively larger amount of the new food. Cats can be pretty picky.

HyperGlitter
May 15, 2003

Kalma posted:

There's always hope, but it might take more time/effort than you're willing to put into it.

Is he fixed? Reproductive hormones can make animals do crazy things.

Basically if you're going to get a new cat, keep them seperated so they can't hurt eachother, but can still smell each other. (Ie, new one in the bathroom with the door closed so they can get to know eachother under the door.)

And be patient.
Okay, thanks, this is good to know. My next question I guess is it always worth it to introduce the second cat? I know it's impossible to tell if an animal can be socialized for sure but she warms up to strangers pretty quickly and is increasingly affectionate with me despite being a stray (pregnant, aborted! who I found in a shelter. She is fixed.

I'm not away from my place that much and give her loads of attention, but should I feel bad for working 6-8 hour shifts and desiring someone there to keep her company? I know it might be a long shot but I'd be willing to put in the patience if the benefit of a cat friend outweighs the potential trauma of introducing a cat enemy.

edit: Upon reasoning how independent cats are and how she hasn't been exhibiting any bored, sad, or destructive behavior yet, I've decided against this for now; unless someone says that cats love having another cat around, it's not exactly necessary.

HyperGlitter fucked around with this message at 20:56 on May 7, 2008

Women's Rights?
Nov 16, 2005

Ain't give a damn

HyperGlitter posted:

Okay, thanks, this is good to know. My next question I guess is it always worth it to introduce the second cat? I know it's impossible to tell if an animal can be socialized for sure but she warms up to strangers pretty quickly and is increasingly affectionate with me despite being a stray (pregnant, aborted! who I found in a shelter. She is fixed.

In my experience, it's pretty rare to have two cats who despise each other to the point of one being a real danger to the other. As your cat was a former stray, there's a chance that she might have a *slight* increase in pissiness towards the new cat, but that's about it. The worst I've seen is two cats who end up being more or less indifferent towards each other, and at best they become snuggle buddies. You should always take care in introducing new pets, of course, but honestly it's always worth it to get your kitty a friend. The chances that she'll completely and utterly hate the new addition and try to hurt them are pretty low.

quote:

I'm not away from my place that much and give her loads of attention, but should I feel bad for working 6-8 hour shifts and desiring someone there to keep her company?

Cats are pretty independant animals, unlike dogs. Yes they love company and yes they love snuggles and being petted but they don't often get the high anxiety that dogs can when being left alone. A friend is always a good thing (plus you don't get kitten piles without friends :3: ), but it's not as big a deal to leave cats alone for stretches of time.

quote:

edit: Upon reasoning how independent cats are and how she hasn't been exhibiting any bored, sad, or destructive behavior yet, I've decided against this for now; unless someone says that cats love having another cat around, it's not exactly necessary.

Ultimately the decision is yours. However, two cats really aren't any harder to handle than one cat. You'll go through more food, sure, and have to get double the vaccines, but some vets (you'll have to call yours to check) will give discounts if you bring in multiple animals at once. Cats do get bored and lonely, but some react differently than others. For my kitties, I know that Poko would be perfectly fine if he was the only one in the apartment, but Professor would be so bored and sad that it would be cruel to leave him alone.

Sekhmet
Nov 16, 2001

Women's Rights? posted:

In my experience, it's pretty rare to have two cats who despise each other to the point of one being a real danger to the other. As your cat was a former stray, there's a chance that she might have a *slight* increase in pissiness towards the new cat, but that's about it. The worst I've seen is two cats who end up being more or less indifferent towards each other, and at best they become snuggle buddies. You should always take care in introducing new pets, of course, but honestly it's always worth it to get your kitty a friend. The chances that she'll completely and utterly hate the new addition and try to hurt them are pretty low.

I can vouch for the part I'm bolding being absolutely 100% not true. My cat exhibited the same behaviors when she saw another cat outside, puffing up, throwing herself at the door and growl/yowling at the top of her lungs at it. We called it the "kitty show." And she backed it up too. When I was in college, I found a cat and brought it home to where she still lived with my mom for the summer. The intention was to try to introduce them slowly, but I put the carrier down with the other cat in it first, so I could go outside and get the rest of my stuff, and when I came back she was basically STUCK to the carrier like white on rice, trying to get at the cat inside of it, hissing and yowling up a storm. I was finally able to pry her off and I put the carrier inside my bedroom. The little brat almost ended up chewing a hole in the door trying to get at him, and that was just in one day. We tried to just keep them separated, but she would throw herself at the door and even started marking at the edge of it because she knew there was a cat on the other side. Once he actually got out of the room, then poo poo really hit the fan. Basically she gave chase, and it was like a tornado around the room, and when she caught him she went for the throat. I grabbed a slip lead that I had and basically choked her off of him. We ended up rehoming him.

Both animals were neutered. The male was super sweet and friendly to cats and people, not acting dominant at all.

Some cats DO NOT want or need a playmate and are better off alone.

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

Sometimes I feel like this.

Lioness posted:

Some cats DO NOT want or need a playmate and are better off alone.

Seconded.

Charlie hates other cats and thinks he's a people. He lived with another cat some years ago, and neither of them was terribly happy during that time. When they were split up both cats became much friendlier and more personable.

I wish it wasn't so. I would love to have another cat, especially since Charlie is so strongly bonded to his daddy and will never really be "my" cat.

HyperGlitter, I wouldn't tempt fate with it. Charlie just gets sullen and pissy around other cats. Your cat sounds like she could seriously hurt a new kitty.

HyperGlitter
May 15, 2003

Yeah, in the end I decided not to risk it out of consideration to her mostly.

Another question; my friend has a cat that was super nice, affectionate all the time, always seeking attention. Yesterday, for seemingly no reason the cat wouldn't come out from under the bed. She said it wasn't eating that much either. I can lure it out for seconds with intense gesturing and treat baits, and I even got to pet it for a little, but it pretty much wants to go under the bed all the time, even I remove it and put it under the bed. It's not even meowing/making any noise now really. Could there be any reason for this? The cat was moved from another place a week ago but I saw it a few days ago and it constantly nuzzled the poo poo out of me despite having just met me.

tl;dr: Cat hides under bed forever despite being previously loving, no trauma/damage evident.

Kalma
May 23, 2004

There's been a few threads about cats' personality making an abrupt change lately. My personal experience is that cats tend to go gonzo when the season changes. Mostly summer->winter but winter->summer too.

How old is the cat? spayed? Could be adolescence kicking in. New room mates? Dogs in the neighborhood?

I almost always just do a wait and see unless it's obvious there's a medical something wrong with them. Next time you get her see if she lets you touch firmly all over. (not hard, but not feather touches either) If you feel anything strange or get a growl or something then take her to the vet.

As long as she's using the litter box regularly, keep trying to lure her out and see if it doesn't straighten out in a few days.

HyperGlitter
May 15, 2003

She's fairly old, yes she's spayed, no new roommates or anything. I touched her everywhere I could to try and make sure, she didn't seem to care, just want to get back under the bed. And the season hasn't particularly changed recently here (Santa Cruz). The cat is used to being outside and is now indoor only, but wouldn't she be clawing at the window/door if she wanted out? Unless that made her super depressed or something..

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

Sometimes I feel like this.

Ugh. Apparently one of my mom's other neglected cats is starting to get really sick. My sister can't convince her to take it to the vet, and my stepfather apparently thinks I killed my cat unnecessarily, so I don't know how much they'll listen to me. I'm going to talk to my mom today and try to convince her to take the animal in, warn her that she's committing a crime by neglecting the cat, and tell her if she doesn't take it in I will be calling Animal Control.

I hate to do this, but she's left me no real choice. That poor animal is in nearly as much misery as my cat was, and they are ignoring him.

Sigh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

maplecheese
Oct 31, 2006
Disturbingly delicious.

HyperGlitter posted:

She's fairly old, yes she's spayed, no new roommates or anything. I touched her everywhere I could to try and make sure, she didn't seem to care, just want to get back under the bed. And the season hasn't particularly changed recently here (Santa Cruz). The cat is used to being outside and is now indoor only, but wouldn't she be clawing at the window/door if she wanted out? Unless that made her super depressed or something..

Hmm... then she should really go to the vet. Hiding and being all pissed off are normal behaviours for a cat who's just moved, and it's possible that she was excited at first, then realized she wasn't going to go back to her old place and got upset. However, hiding and being all pissed off are also how cats often indicate they feel really, really awful, and if it is something, it'll be easier and cheaper to treat it early.