Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jubs
Jul 11, 2006

Boy, I think it's about time I tell you the difference between a man and a woman. A woman isn't a woman unless she's pretty. And a man isn't a man unless he's ugly.
Anyone know which episode this is from?

A guy called up with a voice generation program tweaked to sound like Stephen Hawking and had a ten minute conversation about the difficulties of having sex while suffering from advanced muscle palsy, then had the robotic voice read out "AND I HAVE AN rear end in a top hat THE SIZE OF A MASON JAR" in monotone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A HUNGRY MOUTH
Nov 3, 2006

date of birth: 02/05/88
manufacturer: mazda
model/year: 2008 mazda6
sexuality: straight, bi-curious
peircings: pusspuss

Nap Ghost
Sept. 29, 2003 has the best Lightning Round. I think it's the first Lightning Round in the new studio, and Adam goes all out. I was nearly crying.

SOME PIG
Aug 12, 2004

Hittin' Switches,
Twistin' wigs with
Phat Radical Mathematical type Scriptures

JeansW posted:

It starts at around 39:30 and had me in tears.

OK I have SERIOUSLY not laughed this hard in at least two loving years. Oh my loving god hahahahgahahahha

Bumpon10s
Dec 9, 2004

Gentleman, we have seen the future.

dethkon posted:

OK I have SERIOUSLY not laughed this hard in at least two loving years. Oh my loving god hahahahgahahahha

This still does not compare to the irony moments. When they did their "veal/venison" questions, the girl got the first one right, and then said venice was in italy. Drew spit coffee out of his nose on that.

flatFat
Apr 30, 2006

k

BAM! posted:

Thank you for this. I've listened to hundreds of episodes, and this is honest to god one of the funniest I've heard.

e: Does anyone know where to get the song they played at the end?

Anderson had no idea where the song came from, but my god I need that song. Anyone?

Griffon
May 14, 2003

This is the peak of all the traffic in LA rants and is the reason I've been listening to random lovelines for the past two years.

http://shows.lovelinearchive.com/Loveline%20-%202004-05-19%20(Guest%20-%20Officers%20Luis%20Jose%20Hernandez%20and%20Pedro%20Muniz%20for%20Sober%20Graduation).mp3

Rushmore
Jun 3, 2005

My name's Rushmore, and I'm the Biggest Idiot Ever!
Ok I've created a basic site at lovelinecentral.com . The episodes need added to the database, and 1990's and 2000 episodes have been added. Added a few reviews too. If anyone wants to add to it work away. If the episode hasn't been added to the database, browse to the mp3 directory and there is a "Create Description" button for each file. Just use that. It will hopefully automatically populate the fields, but its worth checking them

Grifter
Jul 24, 2003

I do this technique called a suplex. You probably haven't heard of it, it's pretty obscure.

The Pantheon posted:

After listening to my first month's worth of shows and reading through the thread I couldn't believe fellow Aussies/foreigners asking if Adam was being serious when guessing if most callers were Jewish. His style of delivery is pure genius, he has a laconic but razor sharp wit that I've yet to see matched and so many times I've gone "I-. that is the most perfect analogy. I agree completely."
I just heard a perfect example of just how fast Adam's humor is. I was listening to the 2003-03-26, with the chick from Save Ferris. She asked Adam if he got married, by asking about his ring. Without missing a beat he replied in the most amazingly laconic way "I won the superbo-oh, THIS ring. Yeah, I got married."

Rushmore posted:

Ok I've created a basic site at lovelinecentral.com . The episodes need added to the database, and 1990's and 2000 episodes have been added. Added a few reviews too. If anyone wants to add to it work away. If the episode hasn't been added to the database, browse to the mp3 directory and there is a "Create Description" button for each file. Just use that. It will hopefully automatically populate the fields, but its worth checking them
I realize I'm a beggar being a chooser, but are we going to be able to add other topics? I was hoping to have topics where we could do things like make a topic for something like Anderson, explain what he was all about, all that stuff.

Ribsauce
Jul 29, 2006

Blacks in the back.
Does anyone else run red lights because of Adam? I run them all the time now. I have standards though. 2 lane vs 2 lane intersections I run them right away if there are no cars in any direction. I do a complete stop and then just go, like a stop sign. I don't ever run bigger intersections though, like 4 lane vs 2 lane. I am much more inclined to run them late at night as well. If I can see any cars I stay stopped though obviously.

I started because there is this light near my place the police manually turn off for events (I live like .02 miles form a huge arena) and half the goddamn time they do not set it back to auto. I started off waiting five minutes for it to turn then one day I could hear Adam in my head going "do it, don't let the man tell you what to do" so I just went and man, life is so much better.

Moral: Do it, run the light . Adam is right, it gets easier with time and sooner or later you won't even think twice. When my friends are in the car the are always like "what the gently caress dude, it was red" and I just look at them and say "yea, and." Don't be a pussy, run the light! By far the best thing I have ever learned from the ace man.

Seriously, for 25 years I was a slave to the stoplight and by extension, a slave to the man. Now I treat (non camera) red lights like crosswalks, if there are no cars I'm going. gently caress jaywalking and gently caress red lights. I go when I want to goddamnit

The Pantheon
Apr 25, 2008

Mmm.
Hahah I have now started disregarding a certain red-light turn signal everytime I make my way home through a particular route. It's liberating. And like Adam, I'm safe about it. There's usually NOONE around when I'm heading home this way, and even so I check all lanes and directions.
Take that Culver City cops with your "chicken s" tickets and y-WHERE'S MY PERSONAL GARBAGEMAN

i also love when Adam rants about the whole "if one car travels at the speed limit of 35mph, and the other travels 10mph above the speed limit, they'll both get there at the SAME TIME. SLOW DOWN. BE SAFE."

".. also second hand smoke 50,000 deaths a year goodnight folks"

The Pantheon fucked around with this message at 17:00 on May 4, 2008

Rushmore
Jun 3, 2005

Grifter posted:

I just heard a perfect example of just how fast Adam's humor is. I was listening to the 2003-03-26, with the chick from Save Ferris. She asked Adam if he got married, by asking about his ring. Without missing a beat he replied in the most amazingly laconic way "I won the superbo-oh, THIS ring. Yeah, I got married."
I realize I'm a beggar being a chooser, but are we going to be able to add other topics? I was hoping to have topics where we could do things like make a topic for something like Anderson, explain what he was all about, all that stuff.

Like a separate section just like a loveline encyclopedia? I could do that aye, though I've exams, so not sure when. Anything else you think would be good?

Ultimos
May 20, 2005

Desert Dwelling Scumbag

Ribsauce posted:

Does anyone else run red lights because of Adam? I run them all the time now.

Has Adam actually condoned straight up red light running? I've heard a lot of Loveline and I've only heard him specifically condone running a red left-hand turn arrow when the regular light is green.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Ultimos posted:

Has Adam actually condoned straight up red light running? I've heard a lot of Loveline and I've only heard him specifically condone running a red left-hand turn arrow when the regular light is green.

He's moved on to red lights in general these days, if it's safe to go. Soon he'll just have a monster truck and be rolling across traffic.

Ribsauce
Jul 29, 2006

Blacks in the back.

Ultimos posted:

I think he does, but if he doesn't he should. If you're gonna do something, go big or go home

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

Grand Fromage posted:

He's moved on to red lights in general these days, if it's safe to go. Soon he'll just have a monster truck and be rolling across traffic.

That is so scary. I am all for the red turn-arrow though.

Ribsauce
Jul 29, 2006

Blacks in the back.

Judakel posted:

That is so scary. I am all for the red turn-arrow though.

What is wrong with running a red light at 10pm when no one is on the road in any direction and it will take like 5 minutes for the light to change? For what it is worth, I live in North Carolina where these lights are all over creation, LA probably doesn't have empty roads with 5 minute light cycles even though like 10 cars an hour roll through the intersection late night

NeoHentaiMaster
Jul 13, 2004
More well adjusted then you'd think.
I actually pulled his "drive around the people waiting in the left turn lane" thing a few days ago. I mean for christ sake, it was like 8am on a Sunday and you could see no cars coming for like 5 miles both in front of and behind you. Yet somehow 6 cars had packed into a double left turn lane with a red arrow on a green light.

There's also a full on red light on a three way stop I always run late at night. Other wise I'll be sitting there for literally 10 minutes waiting for someone else getting off the freeway to slam into the back of me.

Jagfire
Aug 16, 2003

Boing!

Ribsauce posted:

Does anyone else run red lights because of Adam?

I run all left-turn arrows if it's safe and there are no cops around.

To quote Adam on the issue, "The only way a cop can catch you is if they're directly behind you"

Grifter
Jul 24, 2003

I do this technique called a suplex. You probably haven't heard of it, it's pretty obscure.

Rushmore posted:

Like a separate section just like a loveline encyclopedia? I could do that aye, though I've exams, so not sure when. Anything else you think would be good?
I think Liface had a good point with a MediaWiki. I imagine we all know how to use one, and with that we could create as many categories as we want. Off the top of my head, categories like Loveline Staff, Shows (we could put show reviews in there, and create a template for doing so), Common bits (Ace's Mexican Ranchero Countdown, Lightning Round, etc), Epic Rants. There are lots of options. I'd happily put those categories and templates together, but I don't know a thing about actually installing such a site. I just have lots of free time to contribute. I don't want to make it sound like I'm demanding things, you've already gone above and beyond with what you created. I'm just suggesting.

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

Ribsauce posted:

What is wrong with running a red light at 10pm when no one is on the road in any direction and it will take like 5 minutes for the light to change? For what it is worth, I live in North Carolina where these lights are all over creation, LA probably doesn't have empty roads with 5 minute light cycles even though like 10 cars an hour roll through the intersection late night

Yes, the scenario you described is exactly what most people are trying to avoid when they irresponsibly run a red light.

What Fun
Jul 21, 2007

~P*R*I*D*E~

Grand Fromage posted:

Aceman + :killdozer: = ?

Ribsauce
Jul 29, 2006

Blacks in the back.

Judakel posted:

Yes, the scenario you described is exactly what most people are trying to avoid when they irresponsibly run a red light.

DO ITTTT, you know you want to!

Rushmore
Jun 3, 2005

Grifter posted:

I think Liface had a good point with a MediaWiki. I imagine we all know how to use one, and with that we could create as many categories as we want. Off the top of my head, categories like Loveline Staff, Shows (we could put show reviews in there, and create a template for doing so), Common bits (Ace's Mexican Ranchero Countdown, Lightning Round, etc), Epic Rants. There are lots of options. I'd happily put those categories and templates together, but I don't know a thing about actually installing such a site. I just have lots of free time to contribute. I don't want to make it sound like I'm demanding things, you've already gone above and beyond with what you created. I'm just suggesting.

How about I install a mediawiki in a subdirectory, where people can store other information? The reason i created the site i did is becuase there was no easy way to archive all of the mp3 files with separate software. A wiki would be good for a subdir, and I'll try to fire one up now.

ChubbyEmoBabe
Sep 6, 2003

-=|NMN|=-

Jagfire posted:

I run all left-turn arrows if it's safe and there are no cops around.

To quote Adam on the issue, "The only way a cop can catch you is if they're directly behind you"

The funny thing is I always have a few lemmings follow me without paying attention to the light, so now I only do it when there really is no one around.

Liface
Jun 17, 2001

by T. Finn
edit nm

Grifter
Jul 24, 2003

Rushmore posted:

How about I install a mediawiki in a subdirectory, where people can store other information? The reason i created the site i did is becuase there was no easy way to archive all of the mp3 files with separate software. A wiki would be good for a subdir, and I'll try to fire one up now.
That sounds great. I will look forward to wasting company time on it.

Rushmore
Jun 3, 2005

Grifter posted:

That sounds great. I will look forward to wasting company time on it.

http://www.lovelinecentral.com/wiki

Go wild

The Pantheon
Apr 25, 2008

Mmm.
Ohh baby. You've delivered unto us once again.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Rushmore posted:

http://www.lovelinecentral.com/wiki

Go wild

Gives me a blank page?

Rushmore
Jun 3, 2005

Carthag posted:

Gives me a blank page?

http://lovelinecentral.com/wiki/index.php5

dunno why it only works with php5 extension

wierd

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Rushmore posted:

http://lovelinecentral.com/wiki/index.php5

dunno why it only works with php5 extension

wierd

Probably DirectoryIndex doesn't have it in your Apache conf (if you use Apache that is)

Edit: Working on a draft based on subscreet's post.

http://lovelinecentral.com/wiki/index.php5?title=2001-04-08

Carthag Tuek fucked around with this message at 17:03 on May 5, 2008

Rushmore
Jun 3, 2005

Carthag posted:

Probably DirectoryIndex doesn't have it in your Apache conf (if you use Apache that is)

Edit: Working on a draft based on subscreet's post.

http://lovelinecentral.com/wiki/index.php5?title=2001-04-08

MY idea was that all this could be added into the main site... Just add anything about the episodes. But do whatever you want iwth the wiki

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Rushmore posted:

MY idea was that all this could be added into the main site... Just add anything about the episodes. But do whatever you want iwth the wiki

Sure. I just like playing with wikis :)

We'll see how this develops I guess, and what kind of manpower there is.

The Pantheon
Apr 25, 2008

Mmm.
Good stuff Carthag. And a great episode to start with :)
Oh lords that Right-To-Lifer with her enjoyable agenda.

The Pilkipedia is a great wiki for The Ricky Gervais Show (compiling seasons of both the popular Podcasts and the XFM years which chart the discovery of bald monkey Karl Pilkington) and similar to what we could turn out.

They have sections on the hosts and associated staff / friends of the show, as well as Seasons and individual episodes that go into (crazy exhaustive) detail on the beats of the particular episode being discussed.

Here's an example of that from a random early XFM show in "Series 2 (2002)" that I chose.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
I just added 10-16-2001 to the the wiki and made a 2001 page.

We need to get some standards in order.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Digged a bit in the forums (basically just looked at each year in GBS to see what started with Loveline) and searched the first couple pages of those threads for links to other threads.

Loveline - A Love Lost (started Aug 07, 2007) - short (3 pages), but has some good quotes
Let's talk about Loveline! (started Jan 18, 2007) - previous incarnation of this thread. 23 pages
Loveline Radio V.2.0 Now with less technical issues! (started Feb 26, 2006) - fan-made show

Found a couple others, but they are just people asking for links to the online streams with no content aside from that.

Grifter
Jul 24, 2003

Phone posted:

I just added 10-16-2001 to the the wiki and made a 2001 page.

We need to get some standards in order.
It looks like Carthag is already doing some brilliant work with designing standards, the pages we have so far are great. I'll plug away at it tonight.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Grifter posted:

It looks like Carthag is already doing some brilliant work with designing standards, the pages we have so far are great. I'll plug away at it tonight.

Well really I just did a rough draft based on subscreet's ideas.

Edit:

Made a template for calls: http://lovelinecentral.com/wiki/index.php5?title=Template:Call
You can see how I used it in the 2001-04-08 show

This also means that the layout is consistent and can be changed easier.

Carthag Tuek fucked around with this message at 00:19 on May 6, 2008

Grifter
Jul 24, 2003

I put some new templates and a couple show writeups into the wiki.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Nice work. I'm gonna work on it a bit more. Anyone else is welcome too, so we can get a good format going.

• Locked thread